Bellerin. Mid-Term Report

Hector Bellerin. Now there is a problem arising for whomever is to be our manager.

Has a last decent season and thinks he is Jack the Peanut. Believes he is already the finished article and all he needs to do is turn up then bide his time until Barca/Real come calling.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Big Raddy’s Pre- FAC SF Report:

Dating the fit and famous may do wonders for your rep in the dressing room but some fans just think you are a flash ponce. Well … let me tell you laddie … a pony tail does not make a man (I know, I have had one) nor does a few tattoos. Nor does belting upfield looking for the spectacular pass and forgetting that Mustafi is not the fastest on two legs.

No, my young man, defending is the essence of the work of the full back, just ask Dicko, Ralph or Nige, they will tell you. TA would have given you a forearm smash for some of the recent performances. Yes, an attacking fullback is very modern and you have been excellent at getting forward to support Weak Theo but what do we remember you for? We remember the brilliant last ditch tackles when your pace got you into positions no other FB could manage. Practice and repeat.

Being dropped at Boro was the start. You are not an automatic first team choice if you do not put in the yards, and it comes as no surprise that you were booed post-defeat by the away fans at Palace (though at least you went over to them).
Potential is what you have, make it a reality and become the great player you could be; it requires application, concentration and determination. You have all the God-given tools, use them.

5/10

written by Big Raddy

86 Responses to Bellerin. Mid-Term Report

Thanks Erik

Never forget that it’s now a tash ‘n tail combo in the style of Seaman/Ibra. So much worse. The ladies from which land exactly like that sort of thing?

The effort point you make about Bell is entirely valid regarding his defensive duties, although it applies to many of our players.

If the whole side could apply themselves both mentally and physically, the team could achieve so much more.

I have a feeling we’ll see Bell back on Sunday in a back four, although if AW sticks with the three, I reckon Ox will retain his place on the right.

🙂 🙂 Raddy, that’s just the fighting talk I want to hear about and from our players.

One minor problem … there is a story (not sure it’s true) that Hector is carrying an injury and playing through the pain and will be having an op in the summer.

I have noticed his pace has dropped. But your points about defending are all well made and an injury would have no bearing on that. Basically you are asking him to take responsibility for the defence first and I heartily agree.

BTW what a masterclass in defending from Juve last night. They stopped Messi, Suarez and Neymar scoring for 180 minutes and still managed to pose a potent goal threat themselves ….that is the way modern football is developing … we need to catch up

Not sure about this, BR.
    Seems a bit like scapegoating Hector for the team’s woes.

Like Rasp, I’ve also seen the rumours that he’s playing with an injury which needs surgery in the summer.
    I hope he gets a rest for the remainder of the season to take him out of the spotlight.
    After all, we have Jenks and Deboosh playing for the u23s.

I must admit I do detest his man bun, though. 🙂

Rasp. True Juve were superb last night, especially the CB’s.

But it was a return to the boring Catenacchio of the 70/80’s. With an attack of Dybala, Higuian and Cuadrado I would expect more.

That said, they were excellent in the first leg and clearly superior to Barca, which shows that even the best (MSN) struggle against a packed defence and without midfield inspiration.

Thanks Raddy.

I don’t like this new look of his, it belongs in a Quentin Tarantino film. I can overlook any of that stuff however as long as the team are doing well. They can all run around in tutu’s and sport pink hair for all I care if we are looking a good team and challenging for major silverware.

I disagreed with the booing of him. Not on. I also read about the injury and he is a young player so he needs some leeway. I am certain he is not deliberately slacking and it could be partially the injury but also more significantly if you are a young defender in a team that is collectively all over the place defensively and a bit crap generally at the moment then I feel this will drag his game down.

Players do need to step up certainly but the issues at Arsenal have to start with the manager and the coaches on the training ground. The whole defense, every player included, has left a lot to be desired. For me it is more of a collective problem of defensive tactics and discipline. The whole defense looks like it has no instruction or direction.

My finger is firmly pointed in the coaching direction at present and if the general defensive improvements come it is easier to spot the individual slackers.

Bloody hell…just seen Chas’ comment. I don’t believe our thoughts have ever been so aligned Chas….Champers at the FFB next time we meet 🙂

8. RC78 says:

Showed some great promise in the first part of the season. Since the start of 2017, has been average. Must go back to being fit, humble and working hard if he is to fullfill all his potential. 5/10

9. RC78 says:

PFA Team of the Year:

De Gea – Walker, Luiz, Cahill, Rose – Mané, Kante, Alli, Hazard – Lukaku, Kane

London donminated team but no Arsenal player.

I think that Bellerin, Kos and Sanchez could have been considered if the team was doing better as I think that Bellerin can be better than Walker, Kos is at least as good as Cahill, Sanchez is at least as good at Mané.

My team: 3-4-2-1
    De Gea
    – Luiz, Cahill, Azpi –
    Walker, Kante, Sigurdsson, Sanchez –
    -Alli, Hazard –
    Lukaku

10. RC78 says:

Sigurdson is in because he is performing well in a very average Swansea team – he has scored 8 goals and dished out 11 assists. He also has the most crosses in the game.

It was tough to ommit Mane, Eriksen, De Bruyne, Kane, D. Costa, Ibrahimovic but I needed to make a choise and like my teams to be somehow balanced

11. fatgingergooner says:

I’d really like to see Van Dijk at Arsenal next year. He’s the big commanding CB that people want but he’s also perfect in a back 3 as he can play a bit aswell. If he does move we need to be at the front of the queue.

I’m with you on VVD fgg. I’m not sure how committed AW is to a back 3 system, but you’re right, he would be perfect for the job and add some muscle to our back line

13. RC78 says:

What about Bonucci or Pepe?

I don’t have your knowledge of players from foreign leagues RC …. you are our overseas scout 🙂

We were linked with Chiellini some years ago …. he was excellent last night?

16. fatgingergooner says:

Reports that Keane is leaving Burnley at the end of the season aswell. Another up and coming commanding CB. Could be an option.

Gabbiadini at Southampton reminds me a bit of RVP, not lightning quick but quick enough and has fantastic movement. Good finisher too. Early days in PL but might be what we are looking for.

17. fatgingergooner says:

Pepe probably too old now and will end up in China or somewhere. Would love Bonucci but he could probably demand a move to any team so not sure we’d be in with a chance.

Raddy, re last night’s game….. Juve were protecting a 3 goal lead, they played some attractive attacking football in the first game, so I don’t see that system as necessarily dishing up dour football.

AW talks about the back 3 as “being an option” but I think he has also said he doesn’t see it as a long term plan. Now I am not saying the back 3 is the right option for everyone or even the best option overall but looking at our defensive frailties and the fact we are often counter-attacked with a scrambling back 2 (owing to the fact that the FB’s are so advanced and are often our main outlet for width) that the back 3 seemed a very viable option.

I get a feeling of reluctance from AW with a back 3 and I see him changing it back as soon as possible. Fine as long as we can strike an attacking / defensive balance with a back 4. What worries me is that our defensive failings and that lack of balance in how we play (with a back 4) is a long term issue. It tends to suggest a manager stuck in his ways with a lack of tactical flexibility to address issues either with changes or coaching.

If Arsene favours a back 4 then he has to make it work at the highest level and we have not been able to do that for a few years.

Words are cheap when statements about Arsene changing and adapting to address the issues are banded about. I love Arsene for all he has done but unfortunately I still see him as a manger too stuck in his ways and beliefs to change what is required, and that we will just be revisiting the same old failings next year.

If he is to lead us next year and really improve us then actions will speak louder than words in seriously addressing our problems. One game of defensive changes, after so many games of having the same problems with no evidence of any changes or addressing them, is not sufficient proof he can still do this at the highest level.

As I always say, I would love for him to prove me wrong.

20. wally says:

Juve were absolutely brillant last night. As Allegri said they could have played all night and Barca wouldn’t have scored.
    Juve’s success points the gangrenous finger at what we’ve become. An organization with less resources and less talent (allegedly) have been able to mold a series of teams that have achieved what we can only dream of.
    As for bellerin he’s simply been allowed to do what he wants. He’s been doing it for a couple of months now without any consequence. That or he’s trying to get himself sold.

21. RC78 says:

If you play with a back 4, you need top CBs and top FB. At the moment, we have 1 top CB and a potentially really good RB.

Why is Barcelona struggling this season? Because their defense is not what it used to be – Pique needs more from Mascherano and the back-ups Umtiti, Mathieu are weak and Alba is great but on the right, they are still orphan of Alves.

You win titles with great defenses and great defending. I think that Juve and Atletico have more than a good chance of winning the CL just because of their defending…

Our defense is at best average and our defending as a team is below average.

If we want to win, we need a strong defense and better defending.

If we want to keep a back 4,

then we need to buy:
    1 RB – Aurier
    2 CBs – Pepe or Varane from Real + Van Dijk
    2 LBs – Rodriguez and Gaya

We also need to buy a
    DM: Illaramendi or Vidal or Casemiro
    CM: Sigurdsson or Matuidi

Cech – Aurier, Pepe, Koscielny, Rodriguez – Ramsey, Illaramendi, Sigurdsson – Wellbeck, Vardy , Sanchez

Ospina – Bellerin, Mustafi, Van Dijk, Gaya – El Neny, Xhaka, Ox – Walcott, Giroud, Arnautovic

Reserve: Chambers, Holding, Iwobi

Why Pepe? Experience and grit
    Why Illaramendi and Sigurdsson? Great engine and passing
    Why Vardy? Tireless worker and good finisher
    Why Van Dijk? Solid
    Why Rodriguez and Gaya? Good going forward and at defending
    Why Arnautovic? Good engine, great techniques, wicket shot outside the box and ability to create chances

Not the prettiest or sexiest team but it will do the trick for a Top-4 finish at the very least…

22. RC78 says:

If you want top CBs, you need to splash out on Bonucci, Ramos and Godin. These guys will sort you out…

Afraid I want more ambition than a top 4 finish RC. I want us looking at a team that can compete in the 85-90 points bracket in the EPL. That is a title challenging team.

RC

Beginning to think I understand where you’re coming from. You say your team was not the sexiest, and I agree.

Normally I think you need nasty looking butt ugly defenders, and real lookers as strikers, simply because strikers sell shirts.

Then I saw your Vardy suggestion. Initially I was like no way, then I thought….mmmm, cunning plan RC.

Vardy would, of course, command relatively low wages because no way anyone will buy the poster, mug or shirt.

Am I right? 🙂

I was being serious you know 🙂

26. fatgingergooner says:

I was calling for a more mobile defensive minded CM yesterday and I mentioned Romeu and Gueye, but I do like the idea of Illarramendi as mentioned by RC. He’s been excellent for Sociedad even though it didn’t work out at Madrid. Plus he’s somebody we could probably get.

I will be interested to see if a few of the Monaco lads move on after the year they’ve had. They’ve got some good players who also look like real athletes. Both full backs are around 6 foot as is Fabinho. Could do with a bit of their presence and energy in our team.

There is an element of humour in the post – it clearly didn’t get through! Though my point remains – if Bellerin is carrying an injury then we have decent back-up or we play with 3 at the back?

As to buying a CB – I bet a seal flipper that we do not. We have just re-signed Koscielny, bought at €30+m Mustafi, Gabriel is still settling in, Chambers is doing well at Boro, and BFG is still with us. And perhaps we have someone coming through the youth set-up

You forgot Holding Raddy 🙂

I’m not sure Chambers will make it and although Gabriel is a warrior, he is quite limited in his ability. But you’re probably right that we won’t sign another CB.

Rasp. So I did and I think Holding has huge potential 😦

chas. Not scapegoating – I could have picked on half the team (or more) and probably will come season’s end 😀

I think they’re all shit, BR.
    It’s just that Hector has the worst hair. 🙂

Raddy, maybe the question AW should be asking is are this squads CB’s (BFG, Kos, Mustafi, Gabriel, Holding) good enough and balanced enough with the right level of mix of ages and experience for a title challenging team.

In the past I feel AW has often just listed names in certain positions to explain away why he is not buying anyone in said position. That is fine on a numbers basis in explaining his decision but doesn’t necessarily reflect the quality and balance aspect.

Personally I think it is missing 1 commanding experienced CB, a proper leader in the Kompany mold, if we want to challenge for a title. I think the time for waiting for players to develop before we can mount a challenge is kind of over for Arsene, and he needs to have that back line ready and top notch before pre-season starts.

You can of course then accommodate a promising player like Holding within this, but not gamble on being reliant upon him stepping up to that level going into the season. I think we could lose at least one of our current crop for a Bonnuci / Chiellini / Kompany type CD.

Similarly I would ask what the purpose of Ilarramendi is. I am not the most clued up on him and his style so will defer to those who know more. I thought he was a ball playing DM. My question would be what are Elneny, Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla? Is he too similar to them? Is he an upgrade on them and we should lose 1-2 of those others mentioned?

Personally I feel we are missing a real powerhouse holding or screening midfielder. A proper athlete with pace to maraud in front of the back 4 snuffing out danger before it begins, bossing the midfield and winning back possession. This type of player probably covers defensively what it takes 2 of our more stylish CDM’s to at the moment, so instead of having 2 doubling up it would actually allow the other players more freedom in possession and attack.

33. RC78 says:

To win the EPL –

You need a top GK
    You need a reliable defense
    You need a good pair of DM-CM in midfield
    You need wingers that can score
    You need lethal strikers that can also create chances for themselves
    You need squad players that add value when they come on

You need a Plan B in terms of your system
    You need a coach that inspires
    You need luck as well

You build your play from a strong defense and an ability to defend as a team. You have the school of Guardiola and Klopp with high pressing or the school of Conte/Mourinho that like to defend deep for counter-attacking. You also have the scool of Blanc/Jardim which is a medium press.

In the EPL, I think that two systems can lead you to the title:
    3-5-2 (as being proven by Chelsea this year) or a 4-4-1-1 (when Arsenal played Bergkamp in the hole and to some extent what Pochetinno is doing with Totteham this year).

If we play 4-4-1-1, the striker needs to be able to make runs behind the defender but also play with his back to the goal. In our current crop of players, only Wellbeck could do it but he is not always fit…

But the squad would be then:
    Cech – Bellerin, Mustafi, Kos, Monreal – Ox, Ramsey, Xhaka, Sanchez – Ozil, Wellbeck

With new recruits:
    Cech – Aurier, PEPE, Kos, RODRIGUEZ – Ox, SIGURDSON, ILLARAMENDI, Sanchez – Ozil – VARDY

34. JM says:

Offence:13
    Defence: 11
    Technique: 14
    Power: 12
    Speed: 19
    Stamina: 16
    Overall: 85
    Skill: Wing Speed Star
    Team-style: (Assist-type) Overlap
    Giant-killer: Speed

35. JM says:

Defence: 33%
    Midfield: 32%
    Forward: 35%

GB. I think that if you asked Mr Wenger about the age mix of his CB’s he would say he has it just right.

Chambers 22
    Holding 22
    Gabriel 26
    Mustafi 25 (yesterday)
    Kos 31
    BFG 32

This is a fine mix of experience and youth.

I agree that we could use someone with more authority but AW would say that Kos is top quality and Mustafi has done well in his first season. It isn’t easy to com e into the PL from the Budesliga as a defender – BFG was not great in his first season.

37. JM says:

I’d recommend Jonas Hector (1. FC Köln/Germany NT) for the club. He is primarily a LB/LWB who can also play in defensive midfield.

Upfront, I’d look at Luan Vieira (Grêmio/Brazil NT) who can play either wide/center forward and started out at futsal (i.e. a street-baller) before moving onto the 11-a-side game.

39. wally says:

I we want to get better at defending then we’ll need a new manager first and foremost won’t we.

Ahhhhh, see, now I like Ollie 🙂

41. Cheers Raddy

So what if Bellerin is playing shit and looks like Al Pacino’s lover from some early seventies flick? He’s a good lad and I like him.

I suspect he’s carrying an injury and no longer wants to rob a bank to fund Pacinos sex change.

Once he shakes off his injury and gets free of Pacino, I expect to see the Hector we all witnessed several months ago, potentially one of the best right backs in the world.

We should also remember he’s been at the club a long time and the boos he got from those who cannot control there emotions must have really hurt him.

I don’t mind a player been crap as long as he’s an Arsenal man. I remember a period standing in the west lower when in the name of love I would abuse John Devine. Accusing him of been illigitemly related to Dave Allen or having nightmares that Ian Paisley wanted his friendship. A couple of times when collecting the ball for a throw he would throw a punch at me and on one occasion such was his joviality at the friendly banter, David O’Leary had to playfully drag him away.

That’s the way to be with young players like Bellerin, not boo the lad. Think I’m going to get a ticket for the west lower and strike up some banter with him.

42. fatgingergooner says:

I think I might’ve just witnessed the end of Zlatan’s career. That looked like a ligament breaker! Ouch!

43. chas mobile says:

44. chas mobile says:

45. chas mobile says:

46. chas mobile says:

Love the wave vid. What is TIR?

Total Internal Reflection
    (I googled)

I googled too and didn’t get that

Have to say a nice eclectic mix this morning mixing the weird and wonderful with the damn right disturbing 🙂

hello chas

ive never been to Paris and doubt it I will ever go. poor Frenchies

fattie – what happened to Ibra?

Hyper extended knee

Micky
    My first google ‘TIR’ just returned confusion.
    Second google ‘TIR physics’ – Bingo.

oh, not too serious

Eddie

The killing in Paris is plain weird. Most disturbing was use of a Kalashnikov, but weird to me is that if you’re going to be a martyr and you have a machine gun, why pick on one solitary policeman

Awful either way, of course

Why not go to Paris?
    The chances of being involved in any incident are miniscule.
    You wouldn’t leave the house if you thought that any slight chance of danger might get you.

Chas
    You told me Jon makes the banners, you didn’t say whether they are for finals only or is there one for sunday

Quite right Chas. I injured myself the other day
    Playing the viola

I did – sort of.
    I implied I thought they were just for finals but pointed out that there was one in a semi-final photo.
    No idea if there’s one for Sunday. 🙂

I seldom leave the house. I would hate to lose my legs

micky – I think that prick had more ambitious plans. Luckily he had no time to carry them out

I would be very surprised if we didn’t see carnage in London or Paris again. The terrorists are too fooking insane to stop

Brilliant work chas. A wonderful mixture of the bizarre and the entertaining

A beekeeping lesson.
    My queen bees (3) arrived from Greece yesterday. Two went to Rasp to be looked after for a week, the third stayed in Cuffley.
    Right, when the queens arrive in tiny plastic cages they are accompanied by 5-10 workers whose job is to look after the queen during the journey.
    It is a pain in the arse to introduce a new queen to a colony – the workers like to kill her and grow their own queen from an egg.

To increase chances of a successful queen introduction you let all the workers out of the cage and keep the queen alone. Well, I tried yesterday. The bitch flew out first and it took me 40 mins to catch her. You should see me on all fours semi naked (I was boiling hot with stress) looking everywhere for a tiny insect.

I was sure that Bambi ate her, he likes bees so I shouted at him too.
    Found her eventually – oh, she got some abuse, the bitch. I will try to put her in a hive today, Wish me luck. They are £40 each.

Who needs Thursday night pilates bend over lessons when you have queen bees hovering about

I do micky. I will not attempt it again, feck that, there must be an easier way to get some raw honey

Good luck with your semi-naked bee-keeping today.

no, no, no. To introduce a queen to an existing family I will have to wear layers and layers of clothing or the workers will kill me. Opening a hive on a cool day is dangerous. But it has to be done

Booooooooooo

Somewhat naughty lyrics

boy band 🙂

50+ years and still great

8:03

Who is morphing into Iggy and why?

Extreme left looks to me like an eastern European lesbian peasant, whereas I bet it’s someone very important and relevant

Anyone around to put up a post if I open the ink pot?

Micky
    I was going to put up GN5’s pre-prematch for the Semi today, so you’re off the hook. 🙂

Wow, that’s sad.