Opposing views about Arsene Wenger erupt in violence

I’ve been watching in dismay videos of fights between various factions of Arsenal supporters both during and after the Manchester City game. I guess it was only a matter of time before the different groups clashed but as a long time supporter I found it to be very sad. It’s a long time since I attended games on a regular basis but when I did I never witnessed a fight between Arsenal fans – that was always reserved for the opposition and not our own.

The fight in the stand appeared to be between those that had hung up a pro Wenger sign and those that felt it did not support their opinion. Outside the ground it was near the guy holding Arsenal Fan TV interviews and again it was between those with opposing views on Arsene.

Those involved appeared to be in their twenties and thirties and their main comparison would obviously be Arsene’s early years when we winning on a consistent basis. The feeling is shared by people in all age groups but hopefully the older generations would only verbalize their thoughts and not resort to violence.

My opinion is that both sides of those involved in the fights should be identified and banned for life from attending any Arsenal games.

I have several questions that I would like to some opinions on.

1. Is it mainly the younger fans that would resort to violence?
  2. Is a lifetime ban appropriate?
  3. Do the Arsenal Fan TV post game interviews stir up emotions unnecessarily?
  4. When should Arsene announce the decision on his future?
  5. Should Arsenal ban the use of signage in the ground?
  6. Is fighting amongst Arsenal fans commonplace?

Written by GunnerN5

46 Responses to Opposing views about Arsene Wenger erupt in violence

1. fatgingergooner says:

Some Arsenal fans have their priorities all wrong. What’s more important, supporting the team or hating the manager?

After the games I can understand it a bit more as the result can get people’s emotions up, but football aside there are thousands of women and children at these games and there’s just no need for it.

Having said that, some of the women and kids are more violent than these clowns. I’m not sure it’s worth the attention it’s getting.

2. Wolfgang says:

So 4 th shd be given a trophy.Maybe at Arsenal whose US owner
    is only interested in the cash flow. At any other top club, he would be axed ages ago.
    I cant wait for him to go asap. I believe will get beaten in the Cup and finishing outside the top 4.

3. VP of Oz says:

talking about being interested in the cash flows wolfgang, its interesting the commentary in the one of the clips refers to the money that Arsenal Fan TV are making from all this controversy, Even their regular guest WengerOuts now run their own youtube channels and other social media sites etc. such as Mr DT
    They appear to be making a bit of money from all of this

Its a hell of a distraction for fans who just one to support the greatest team Arsenal. And if it impacts or influences the players in any way from winning then I say that these protesters should get out.

Thats not to say fans cannot have opposing views, opinions etc. but hiring planes, trucks and profiting from protesting, then to these I say get out.

Morning all,

Thank you Chas, great work.

Wolfgang, thank you for expressing your opinion but It’s not one that I share.

VP, making money from being anti Arsenal and inciting fans anger is simply abysmal and those involved should be banned from Arsenal property.

FGG, You are right, I wonder how much support that actually give to the team, it seems to me that they just wait for the moment to show their annoyance.

5. VP of Oz says:

I also find it interesting that the new breed of manager that every great team wants, ie. PEP and the money spent on his team, that the best that Pep could do against an underfire manager regarded by many as past it, is a draw…

The media are not interested in that side of the story VP – they make their money out of bring anti Arsenal.

Hi GN5, thanks for the post. I can only answer one question:

…. When should Arsene announce his decision on his future?
    … a week ago….

The longer he draws this out, the more damage is being done to the club

Today’s nonsense from him was in the form of saying he didn’t understand the problem with the 10 or so players (specifically Sanchez) who are in the last 18 months of their contracts ….Really??

From the trained economist? Their sale value has declined, our negotiating stance has been weakened … it perpetuates the uncertainty surrounding the club … very poor management.

One thing I do know about Arsene is that he is highly intelligent. So when an intelligent man says daft things, he’s doing it for a reason … constructive lying if you like. The problem is that those supporters whose passion is greater than their intellect will be influenced by this and this has led to division and conflict. There is one simple way for Arsene Wenger to make all this go away.

Thanks for posts Erik and GN5
    I’ll be brief as on mobile

To clarify my position, I’m 100% FOR any and all forms of oik on oik violence

Cheers, GN5.

Is it mainly the younger fans that would resort to violence?
    I’d imagine the young bucks are more likely to lock horns

Is a lifetime ban appropriate?
    Would be nice, but isn’t going to happen.

Do the Arsenal Fan TV post game interviews stir up emotions unnecessarily?
    I must admit I detest AFTV and especially the self-seeking moaners, so I can’t really give a reasoned opinion.
    (In the past you’d hear your miserable mate chuntering in the pub after the game and just switch off as you normally would until the next match. But now you hear every Tom, Dick and Jack the peanut giving it the full-on whinge 24 hours a day, so it is difficult to escape.)

When should Arsene announce the decision on his future?
    Long before now.

Should Arsenal ban the use of signage in the ground?
    I would definitely have to move if someone held something up alongside me, but banning banners is not a sensible way forward.

Is fighting amongst Arsenal fans commonplace?
    From what I can tell, there have been more instances of in-fighting this season than ever before but it’s still sporadic.

Zoom in on the dogs 🙂

Thanks for responding to all of the questions Chas and I accept your conclusions – and I’m happy to hear the infighting is not commonplace.

AFTV really bothers me!

Is the outer concourse at the Emirates public or Arsenal property?

I’d imagine Arsenal owned as there are statues, flags, stone inlays, photos etc.

That makes sense Chas therefore it begs the question – why are they allowed to stay on private property?

Free speech I guess?

There is public access 24 hours a day.

You’d like this photo of past and present players, GN5.

My godson was only interested in one end of it. 🙂

I’ve bookmarked the FGG site Chas.

I would love to get over to see a few games and the stadium – maybe next season?

From aerial views you can see the rooftop of the house I lived in as a kid, 33 Stavordale Rd.

20. fred1266 says:

U know the drill am IN

Hi Fred.

22. Zed says:

Good One, GN5.

I have to take the easy way out on the questions, partly because I agree with Chas @ 1:25, and also because there is no easy solution to how or why different fans react to events, without being rude.

I empathise with the Rasper’s responses too, regarding AW and his sometimes odd justification of Arsenal contract priorities, including his own, and he also makes me wonder why fans whose passion is greater than their intellect – as my friend neatly states – who become so foul-mouthed, and Nazi-like in attempting to vilely shout down and censor others who disagree with them.

Zed, My belief is that when emotions overflow into violence then free speech has ended and the rule of law should take over those involved should be banned to create a deterrent against future incidents occurring.

I simply do not understand the extent or the level of negativism – it does nothing to help the club or the team. It is just destructive and serves no useful purpose other than to boost individual’s egos.

I only have room for positivity in my life, but that does not blind me to what is happening at the club.

24. Zed says:

In this instance, GN5, I can only base my views on blog sites I visit, from time to time.

On some of them I come across folk [with different nom de plumes] who used to blog on AA, and came across as middle of the road, and pleasant with it.

It comes as a shock to find one or two of them leading the rabble in a very unseemly way, unfortunately.
    As a result, they turn out to have been hiding an intolerance of others, and at least 3 of the sites I am referring to have chased away anyone with differing views from ‘the boss’ who sets the mood music for their site — and the sites are in turn becoming isolationist with either Wenger Out or Wenger In sentiments, and with only respective toxic views tolerated – for, or against.

Nauseating – and I am back to thinking blogging has had its day for me – and I am on the brink of finding something else more palatable to do.

Yea, it’s very sad, for me, to have to read unseemly and unending negative comments and articles about AW, he’s a very proud man and even though he claims otherwise it must irk him.

I hate reading patronising comment that start with – I recognize what he has done for the club but…………………

Many times I think he should leave Arsenal and go somewhere where he fully appreciated and can show the that he still has it in him to win titles.

The hound dogs should be ashamed for only craving trophy’s and not the overall wellbeing and future of the club.

In our 113 year history we have been competitive (top 4) on 47 occasions, 20 of which were under AW, and non competitive for 66 years.

Now I understand that “competitive” is used with a pinch of salt but you can’t consider anything less than top 4 as being competitive.

Therefore we were out of the running 58.4% of the time and had hope 41.6% of the time – 17.7% under AW.

Zed,

When the airwaves are dominated by the anti side it’s no small wonder that many of the sites are suffering from low participation. People have better things to do with their time than reading the same old same old………………

GN5. Thank you.

I found the video’s upsetting. There are many thousands of Gooners I would like to punch but not because they have an opinion about AW 😀

Rasp is right, Mr Wenger should stop fannying about and be open about his decision, whatever it is.

On Arseblog Perry Groves said he thought the BoD were waiting for something to sugar the pill of AW signing a contract extension, that sugar being the return of PV4 to the fold. Whether this is true or speculation, who knows?

BR, I also feel that not announcing a decision leads to speculation but I also feel that AW, being a wise man, has good reason to keep quiet. But I like the PV theory.

Hi Raddy, interesting theory. I wonder where PV’s return would leave Steve Bould? Would we have 2 assistant coaches? Or would SB continue to be a silent AM and PV actually get to have some influence on our play?

31. Herb's Army says:

Hi GN5

It’s all very disturbing at Arsenal right now.
    Your recent Post covering all the top division winners was interesting, and painted a very clear picture. Only 24 different winners, and a few big clubs dominant.
    For example, United, Liverpool, Everton have 47 titles between them, add Arsenal, and that’s 60 titles between just four clubs.
    Which ever way you pitch it, Arsenal are a big club.
    I would never question your intellect, you’re as sharp as a tack, but I would question your logic.
    Arsenal’s transfer policy is a shambles, and they are now routinely being out-performed by Tottenham.
    Arsenal’s net spend for the last three years is £205m, Tottenham’s is £1.
    And because Arsenal are a much bigger operation than Tottenham, Arsenal’s wage-bill is £60m higher.
    The same Tottenham who sustained a title-challenge longer than Arsenal last season, and who currently sit 11pts ahead.
    Compare the cost of the two clubs’ defences and then correlate that to their performances.
    Compare £42.5m Mesut Ozil’s heart and desire to that of £5m Dele Alli.
    Every elite club in Europe want trophies and are structured in a way that makes them competitive. That isn’t spoilt fans feeling entitled or demanding instant gratification, it filters down directly from the top, owners and Board members unified and driven by the same desire for success.
    You almost define ‘success’ and the hunger for football’s major trophies as being ‘dirty’ or somehow tainted.
    Arsenal fans want titles, and they want to join the main party, instead of constantly being on the peripherals celebrating ‘little victories’ that ultimately has no impact on the wider football world.
    But again, they’re not demanding titles, they just want a genuine authentic challenge, and we haven’t seen that for years.
    The club’s self-sustaining model is strangling the club and its chances of long-term success. Supporters look around at other clubs with despair, and are bored with seeing Arsenal’s season follow the same familiar pattern year after year.
    Not every club can have success, but at least other club’s are pro-active in addressing the need to compete.
    With the proper administration, Arsenal could quite easily share the company of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich, but such is their seizure-like fear at losing money, they flatly refuse to try and live the dream.

32. goonerjake says:

Banners be allowed.

However I believe banners should only be in support not discontent.

The pub, internet sites And forums and your chats with your pals are the place for that.

While at the ground Victoria Concordia Cresit . ….Victory Through Harmony.

If some of the younger fans who have only lived through the wenger years should be made Aware of our motto. And that not winning is part of supporting and so is losing. You win you loose but their should always be love for your club anyone wearing your colours and any management

Hi Herb.

Thank you for your comment. We both know, from old, that our opinions differ so I won’t even attempt to discuss the areas of our disagreement as it would serve no useful purpose.

But it’s good that you laid out your feelings.

Oops I’ve changed my mind.

Our self sustaining model is ensuring that the club has a viable future and without the frugality that has been demonstrated in the immediate past that may not have been possible. It’s only in the past few seasons that AW has had real money to spend and in Ozil and Sanchez it looked like he had spent well but ………… it’s back to square one.

We are all disappointed that we have not won the league in 13 seasons but we are a long way from being a lesser team than Tottenham. Only time will tell how long they can continue at their current performance level – paying for the new stadium and playing home games at Wembley may prove to be a bridge too far for them.

We are in total agreement goonerjake.

Herb, When was the last time Spurs finished above us? Let me tell you …. It is 21 years and 331 days!!!

If they manage to do so this season is it a trend or an aberration?

On Wednesday it will be 21 years and 332 days

36. wally says:

A couple of thots.

You can support the club and still be opposed to wenger continuing as the manager. The notion that this would lead to fisticuffs is something only a room temperature IQ could justify. EVER!

Wenger is no longer in control of his future. He has told us what he wants to do. The club is unsure they want him back. We’ve now had statements from keswick and gazidis that the club will make a joint announcement, with wenger, at the end of the season as to whether wenger will remain as manager or not. The club is wresting back control.

Wenger must now deliver results and/or cede control over areas of the club/team/end product that previously were his exclusive purview.

Herb makes a great point. We’ve spent gobs of money and precious little to show for it. No owner would continue to allow a manager to spend like we have and have nothing to show for it.

37. Red Arnie says:

Nice post, GN5. Very sad times. Dont want to be drawn into a long argument, but I will make a couple of points.

1, Finally, and sadly, I concede that our club has lost its CLASS. Fans of a classy club can treat fans with alternate views with respect and do not need to engage publicly in scuffles. The dignified conduct of our club, manager, players and fans has been a matter of immense pride to me, and I am sad. We have descended to the level of the Manschafters and Chavs et al,, and I am saddened, in fact, horrified.

2. Second, I agree with GN5 that indiscipline should not be tolerated. Zero tolerance. Let the protagonists be identified, and legal punishments be handed down to them. including if necessary stadium ban.

3. Wenger should stay until the future plans for the club have been made. One can perhaps question why such plans are not already in place, but that is a question for the club, not Arsene. We have a sustainable business model and healthy profits. I would like this to be used as security to ensure that the next manager is in place for no less than 5 years. Dont have much opinion who that new manager should be, but a “stranger, who?” will be good. But the disaster for me will be if we get a stream of managers and cannot credibly promise to appoint someone for a long period. I hope we have not lost that much CLASS.

Onwards and upwards!

Love that the school bus has a heater and chimney

MU fluke a point in Fergie-time. Nothing changes.

Mickkkkkeeeeeeyyyyyy