I’ve been watching in dismay videos of fights between various factions of Arsenal supporters both during and after the Manchester City game. I guess it was only a matter of time before the different groups clashed but as a long time supporter I found it to be very sad. It’s a long time since I attended games on a regular basis but when I did I never witnessed a fight between Arsenal fans – that was always reserved for the opposition and not our own.
The fight in the stand appeared to be between those that had hung up a pro Wenger sign and those that felt it did not support their opinion. Outside the ground it was near the guy holding Arsenal Fan TV interviews and again it was between those with opposing views on Arsene.
Those involved appeared to be in their twenties and thirties and their main comparison would obviously be Arsene’s early years when we winning on a consistent basis. The feeling is shared by people in all age groups but hopefully the older generations would only verbalize their thoughts and not resort to violence.
My opinion is that both sides of those involved in the fights should be identified and banned for life from attending any Arsenal games.
I have several questions that I would like to some opinions on.
- Is it mainly the younger fans that would resort to violence?
- Is a lifetime ban appropriate?
- Do the Arsenal Fan TV post game interviews stir up emotions unnecessarily?
- When should Arsene announce the decision on his future?
- Should Arsenal ban the use of signage in the ground?
- Is fighting amongst Arsenal fans commonplace?
Written by GunnerN5