The Case for the Defence

In the last 6 games our defence has conceded 18 goals (excluding the FAC where we played non-league clubs).

Why?

Unknown.jpeg

Individually our defence looks very good. Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Kos and Monreal are all quality defenders. Ospina, Gabriel, Holding, Gibbs are sine replacements. In front of them Coq, Xhaka and Ramsey are a decent shield (or should be), so how is it possible that in 6 games we have conceded more than a George Graham team would concede in an entire season?

Is it the zonal marking at set plays? Or the tactical commitment to attack? The need to entertain rather than contain? Or is it the defensive coaching? ( in which came you can tell Steve Bould because I am not brave enough).

Whatever the reason Arsenal cannot continue in this manner if progress is to be made.

So what is the solution?

BFG playing against teams that use set plays as the main attacking weapon?  Xhaka, Elneny and Coquelin playing across the middle with instruction to always have two of them shielding the back 4? A new defensive coach? Better defenders?

What do you think?

written by Big Raddy

167 Responses to The Case for the Defence

1. RC78 says:

1. We are not defending as a unit/block, which often leaves our defenders exposed. Our wingers and CM do not press or defend enough. Walcott, Iwobi and Ozil are particularly lazy defenders.

2. We lose the ball in dangerous areas when building up the play or we do not clear the danger far and fast enough. Losing the ball in critical areas is especially true for Ox and Iwobi.

3. We are prone to conceding goals on set-pieced

4. Our DM and CMs, none of them, are providing enough defensive shield. Xhaka, Coquelin, Ramsey and El Neny are not doing enough defensively – neither covering nor setting up the team.

5. Mustafi and Monreal are decent defenders but they are often exposed. I think they would work well in a 3-5-2 but in a 4-3-3, their frailty is too obvious – especially Monreal.

6 – Until the end of the year, I would not mind seeing:
    Mustafi, Kos, Monreal
    Bellerin – – Ox
    Ramsey – El Neny
    Ozil
    Giroud Sanchez

2. Zed says:

A very good Post, Raddy, altho it allows for some combustible comments.

For example, I do not share your view of the players, and frankly if you opened up the squad for transfer I doubt that many would be snapped up by the ‘big’ clubs.

Frankly they are mostly only OK-ish but not top quality, as if we have still been buying within tight financial restrictions.

Our players still suffer from being too samey, primarily small and skilful (some of them) – and this stands out in defence, as we are appallingly fragile when crosses or corners rain in, and big opposition forwards and especially defenders get a run at the lofted ball.

And yes, zonal marking when we get it wrong, in fact it is an unfunny joke when 5 players stand watching the ball while a titch like Monreal or Bellerin gets mullered by a 6′ 4″ opposition player.

That should bring out the dissenters! 🙂

“The need to entertain rather than contain”

That’s what happens when you read poetry.

Thank you Erik.

I don’t think the midfield are trying which doesn’t help the defensive shield.

RC. All your points are true but how would you change things?

Zed. So in your opinion it is the personnel rather than the tactics?

Micky. I cannot agree that they do not try. I think they try but are not well disciplined

Our opposition have mastered our zonal defense and use it to their advantage on set pieces. I’ve mentioned several times my dismay with our full backs; on far too many occasions they are caught down field on attacking forays and no one covers for them.

Is this their fault or the fault of those who should be giving cover? I guess only the coaching staff know the answer – but to me it’s a very obvious problem that could be easily remedied.

To further my comment I don’t blame the players involved as I firmly believe that it’s a coaching issue.

Chas are there any charts that show from which areas our goals against are scored?

7. RC78 says:

BR – until the end of the year – let us pull a Conte with a change of formation with Mustafi – Kos – Monreal as a back three and our two WB should be Bellerin and Ox. I put Ox ahead of Gibbs because Gibbs is always underperforming

Thanks Raddy, zonal marking is the wrong strategy for a team that is lightweight. It might work if we had two tall powerful cbs like Campbell and Bould, as they may be able to stand up to being run at by the opposition – but even then, a well marshalled defence would make sure the midfielders tracked and blocked runs and one player was given the job of protecting our keeper from being blocked … which happened in the second goal from WB. As it is our CBs are 2-3 inches shorter and a stone lighter than the opposition’s CBs who attack the corner with all the momentum of a run up to meet the ball

Ah Raddy, a post that invites tactical bolleux. You truly are my favourite Bransk 🙂 ……did you see what I did there Raddy?

For me it is a combination of factors Raddy :

.Quality of player
    .Too many samey players
    .Squad and team imbalance
    .Poor tactical discipline / training / direction
    .A system that doesn’t get the best out of the current squad coupled with how AW wants us to play.

Firstly let me say I agree with ZedRA, which obviously means I have been on the Vermouth also 🙂

Our players are a bit too samey, primarily in midfield and defence. This is one of the areas I feel has been a big problem with Arsene. I can only guess that Arsene, from a few years back, wanted to develop the team in a certain way and the types of players he recruited reflected this. It has not worked and shown to be very imbalanced and now likely requires a reasonable overhaul this summer.

I tend to like most of our players individually but as the great Zed says there may still be quality issues in the squad that we as fans try and convince ourselves of otherwise because they are our players and we want them to succeed.

Having said that I still feel the problems lie more with the balance than the individual quality. The defensive screen in midfield….I am not so sure that we have this right Raddy. With some slight variances in their abilities aside, I feel Ramsey, Xhaka, Elneny, and Wilshere all have a skill set that offers themselves up for the same role, and it is not that of a defensive screen.

Add in the fact that AW also likes AOC and Cazorla playing in the role of the aforementioned and we are top heavy in too many players giving us nothing distinctly different. Coq is the only true screening or holding midfielder (to give the role a name), and there has to be a question mark as to whether he should be the back up player to someone with his playing traits but who is better.

I do question why AW (already having Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, and AOC) went out and bought Elneny and then a few months later Xhaka. I think a beast of a defensive midfielder, a real athlete with some technical ability would have been more called for.

The defenders themselves are also too samey. We already had a plethora of options at CD that are barely 6′ tall and then he added Mustafi. Only Barca in recent history have got away with playing purely diminutive CD’s….but we are not them and we are not playing in the Spanish league.

A commanding (sizeable) CD, a proper warrior and leader, would surely be a requisite for us, particularly in the EPL. At the moment I would be giving young Holding his head because although young and inexperienced he has that proper English CD look about him.

The tactical indiscipline and confusion is a training issue that for me Arsene has to accept needs to be addressed more. I think in his minds eye he envisioned a fluid team of interchanging players that moved around with complete freedom. Nice idea but it don’t work. The free for all, chaotic, undisciplined way we play with this idea that the players will work it out themselves is outdated.

What does Steve Bould do Raddy? Maybe the question is what is Steve Bould allowed to do?

Arsene likes our FB’s to play in advanced positions. So do other top sides but we just seem to do it in a way that doesn’t have a contingency plan for when we lose possession like other sides do.

Teams look to counter-attack us because they know that often they will be able to break onto a back 2 with the FB’s stranded forwards. A simple ball into the areas behind the out of position FB’s undoes us. One of the back 2 has to move out to meet the opposition player who receives this ball thus leaving a gaping hole centrally for attacking CM’s to sprint into unchallenged.

For Dennis’ sake even a Pubis team was able to expose us with this most simple of tactics.

The simple answer for me, to allow the FB’s (or wing backs…or wingers) to play in more advanced positions more often without us being so easily exposed to this simple counter-attacking tactic, is to move to a back 3 (with at least one big un of a proper warrior CD in the 3) with that beastly athlete of a screening CDM in front.

That quartet would make us very solid and actually allow the other 6 outfield players far more freedom in attack. I think we would actually become a better attacking team because of it, and have a greater balance in both attack and defence.

If Arsene stays, for him to rediscover the success of past years, he would have to address the balance by ruthlessly looking at the squad, and likely let certain players go to get the ones we need to rebalance us. He should change the system (line up) to the back 3 and start to accept that training in tactical drilling and giving the players better direction is very much a necessity in the modern game. To make this happen he should get the right coaching staff around him and let them get on with it.

Still what do I know, just my (long) humble opinion 🙂

10. fred1266 says:

Xhaka Ramsey and ox is to attacking

11. njstone9 says:

Poor defending is the sign of a midfield etc not doing its but to help out.

12. wally says:

forget the FAC. Including that merely disguises how disastrous it is. It’s 18 goals in 4 games.

A commitment by the manager to actually implement a team commitment to defending.

An old geezer became very bored in retirement and decided to open a medical clinic.
    He put a sign up outside that said: “Dr. Geezer’s clinic. Get your treatment for $500, if not cured, get back $1,000.”
    Doctor “Young,” who was positive that this old geezer didn’t know beans about medicine, thought this would be a great opportunity to get $$. So he went to Dr. Geezer’s clinic.
    Dr. Young: “Dr. Geezer, I have lost all taste in my mouth. Can you please help me ??
    ” Dr. Geezer: “Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in Dr. Young’s mouth.” Dr. Young: Aaagh !! — “This is Gasoline!” Dr. Geezer: “Congratulations! You’ve got your taste back. That will be $500.
    Dr. Young gets annoyed and goes back after a couple of days figuring to recover his money.
    Dr. Young: “I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything.”
    Dr. Geezer: “Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient’s mouth.
    “Dr. Young: “Oh, no you don’t, — that is Gasoline!” Dr. Geezer: “Congratulations! You’ve got your memory back . That will be $500.”
    Dr. Young (after having lost $1000) leaves angrily and comes back after several more days.
    Dr. Young: “My eyesight has become weak — I can hardly see anything!!!!
    “Dr. Geezer: “Well, I don’t have any medicine for that so, ” Here’s your $1000 back.” (giving him a $10 bill)
    Dr. Young: “But this is only $10!”
    Dr. Geezer: “Congratulations! You got your vision back! That will be $500.”

Moral of story — Just because you’re “Young” doesn’t mean that you can outsmart an “old Geezer” .

Remember: Don’t make old people mad. We don’t like being old in the first place, so it doesn’t take much to tick us off.

ENJOY YOUR DAY !!

Here are the goals against per game in the PL years.
    2016/17 is the worst!

2013 – 14 – 1.08
    2014 – 15 – 0.95
    2015 – 16 – 0.95
    2016 – 17 – 1.26

15. Zed says:

GoonerB @ 12:18

Stop hiding your camel under a wormer! You say you agreed with me, and certainly I accept that — but you have filled in all the blanks and wrote probably the best comment I have seen in many a log day.

My fingers tremble while typing this, but I in turn agree with all the points and explanations you made!

And I think the Rasper has come on board with his comment about the zonal system marking, which is nullified if the players are the ‘wrong sort’ i.e. mainly midgets, and also have left their brains back in the locker room.

This is terrible. I came back because I am sick of some of the incredibly vicious and unjustified attacks on Wenger – it’s OK, GB, I have already said many times over the last 3 or so years that Arsene would be better off leaving – but that is not because he is delusional, idiotic or has taken leave of his senses – with the usual f, b and c adjectives appended — and now I find that all is sweetness and light on here, with only GN5 having a differing opinion — and when I stop chuckling at his joke, I will try and convince him! 😀

Zed,

I like the growing viewpoint that Arsene will sign a new contract
    (1/2 yrs) and that Vieira will replace him – of all the possibilities that one will suit me just fine.

17. Zed says:

Me too, GN5.

I am not getting my hopes up — but you never know!

Zed.

How soon you forget…………… “Arsene Knows”

I wrote over a year ago that I would like PV4 to become AFC manager and got a mountain of abuse.

According to certain bloggers PV is a traitor because walked away from the club when he was captain and went on a club which won silverware.

Sadly, I expect him to go back to Man City.

You may weel be right Raddy but from this article you can see where his heart lies. One can only hope that when AW retires that we have some continuity.

……………………………………………………………………………………………

Patrick Vieira disappointed to not start coaching career with Arsenal

Patrick Vieira has expressed disappointment in not starting his coaching career with Arsenal, which he calls “the club of my heart.”

The current New York City FC boss just finished his first campaign in charge of the Major League Soccer club after taking the reins in November of last year.

However Vieira, who ended his playing career with NYCFC’s parent club Manchester City, said it was unfortunate he couldn’t begin his coaching journey with the Emirates side.

“It’s true that after spending nine years at Arsenal, it’s the club of my heart — the one where I played my best football — I would have liked if the door was more open to me or other players who spent time there and who would have wanted to learn their career as a coach,” Vieira told RMC on Thursday.

“Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. I was very fortunate to come across Manchester City at the right moment, but it’s true that there is a little bit of disappointment with Arsenal.”

“I don’t think that [myself, Thierry Henry or others] have the ambition to claim the spotlight at Arsenal, because it’s not possible. Things must be done naturally.

“I don’t know the demands of everyone, but in my case I just expected a call to ask me if I would go and learn my craft at Arsenal — without taking the place of the U21 or U19 coach, because they are good at their job.

“I’ve never spoken [with Wenger]. At the same time, he does what he wants.”

Vieira guided NYCFC to the MLS playoffs for the first time in their brief history this season. The former France international began his post-playing career by managing Manchester City’s Elite Development Squad before moving to New York. When asked if he might one day succeed current boss Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, Vieira said he was only thinking of New York.

“You don’t know what will happen, but I’m learning this job,” he said. “There are people who really believe in me a lot and that gives me the desire to work well so as to not disappoint them.

“We’ll see what the future holds. It’s very encouraging. The idea is to stay in the MLS and to see how things go. What is needed is to be best and see the options and offers.”

I look at Arsene staying from 2 aspects.

The first aspect is that he addresses the obvious failings that have blighted our title challenges for the last few years. Changes in methods in training and better formations and balance to the team. That would likely make us a much better outfit with a chance of seriously competing, and that may be an Arsene worth sticking with for a while longer.

The second would be an overhaul of the squad but it ending up as a continuation of what we see now with too many similar players, albeit different ones, and then setting them up in an unbalanced formation with little tactical instruction or discipline; i.e carrying on as is.

This would likely lead to a groundhog day season which will lead to very ugly scenes unfolding amongst the fans. It would not be nice to witness and certainly not something I wish to see Arsene subjected to. In which case I would rather see a change now.

My leaning towards change is because I am far from convinced that Arsene’s character allows for that scale of change, but you never know. There is nothing I would like better than to see Arsene lift a final EPL trophy, but I am not sure it is a realistic wish based on the evidence of the last few seasons.

GN5, I read that as a dig at Arsene for overlooking these past great players and losing some of that winning Arsenal mentality about the place. It tends to lend credence to the opinion that many have that Arsene doesn’t want big characters around him, people that may challenge his ideas. There is a name for that type of person in a political sense.

If this is the case I would tend to look at that as a major character flaw that doesn’t tick the plus side of the argument for him.

23. Cheers Raddy

Umm? I think we have to accept that we’re defensive rubbish. For solutions I have contemplated playing Iwobi at the back and since Theo knows Martin Keown quite well, partner him with Iwobi.

The question Raddy is not how we can solve it, more a question of inventing valid excuses to outsiders?

Today I hear Michael Heseltine has said that though we won the war, Brexit has now handed the Germans domination of Europe? That’s good, gives me my explanation for the Bayern defeat.

I already had my reason for the Liverpool loss.The day we played them, Liverpool supporters trust announced that in protest about a scouser who was refused a knighthood, the Palace stating “Never having commited a burglary does not validate one for such an honour” said that if they lost they would abandon there plan to go a whole week without some form of sycophantic protest . For the sake of humanity, they had to win the game.

We let Chelsea win because Abramovitch threatened defeat would mean he would apply for a British passport, and rolled over to City in political solidarity over low wages in the United Arab Emirates.

West Brom done us because otherwise Pulis threatened to join our players for a shower.

When are we playing Totnumb?

24. Ooh lovely a post about defending, favourite. I’ve been naughty and started reading the comments first instead of the post, apologies Raddy ……. once I got to GoonerB’s essay I reckoned everything to be said had been said 🙂

I’ll go and read the post now 😳

25. Zed says:

Terry/GB

A different slant on different aspects, which is only to be expected, but underlining the comments from both of you is the simple fact that you are both loony.

And I love it, 🙂

I admire the loyalty of those who want AW to sign a new contract, but am mystified that they list a number of coaching problems that can only be laid at Arsene’s door. Surely the one thing we all know is that Mr Wenger is not prepared to change his footballing ethos …. if he was, he’d have done it years ago surely.

Evening all

That’s it! I am NOT bloody working this weekend, and more than that, I am going to do very little next week. So there!

I think you’re all barking mad. I very much doubt Arsene will survive this season, no matter what contract they have lined up.

Oh well. The weather looks to be brilliant this weekend 🙂

Sorry Rasp,
    Didn’t see your comment. Started typing, then answered the door.

I don’t admire their loyalty in this respect (I do, of course, admire loyalty). I actually think its cruel to want Arsene to hang around. Honestly. I think if he stays, he’ll turn into a jiggering wreck. He sooo needs a holiday.

rasp – would you change your ethos?

or even a jibbering wreck

Eddie
    U-turns are to be applauded 🙂
    The worst expression is that spider one. If at first….
    Should end….change the bloody plan, not try try again

micky – I agree. It is painful to see the great man suffering the abuse. If he went now, his last 2 seasons will soon be forgotten, but what he has done for the club will live forever.

Every club has a great manager from time to time. ManU had Fergie, Liverpool had Shankley, Tottenham have Pochettino and we have Wenger. After he leaves we, I mean the AA regulars, will probably not see another great man leading the club. Anyone who replaces Wenger will not be as great as him, for sure. However, he will not get greater than he is and signs would suggest that maybe he is losing it a bit. I feel dirty saying it, I’ll wash me gob

micky – I agree. nobody likes changes, but you have to embrace them or there will be no progress. Only cowards run away from a change.

Nothing irritates me more than people hitting a keyboard key over and over again – look you div, if it didn’t work the first time it will not work the 10th, computers are bloody consistent, programmed to do the same thing over and over again….

34. And the reason for the fabulous weather is …………..

It’s my birthday on Sunday 🙂 Lucky me, Mother’s Day and Birthday 🙂

I don’t think it’s dirty at all Eddie. It’s being nice. That’s a very good quality.

On the change thing, I don’t agree. There are loads of people who like change.

Peaches
    Do you want us to get the birthday celebrations going now?
    Is that the hint?

wow Peaches!!! That’s great! Is your partner taking you somewhere special?

micky – really? I don’t know many people that like changes

I think Peaches is going to be too busy for us 😦

Ok then, controlled change. Better? 🙂

40. The longer the celebrations the better, I’m going for a full two days this year, bring it on 🙂

Last year my birthday was marred by Easter Weekend and this year all the other mums are getting a look in!!!!! Next year I can have a day all to myself but for now bring it on.

41. Eddie – you know me, blue sky and sunshine are my biggest treat, they must be a gift from your bloke 😉

yeah, much better. What is controlled change 🙂

43. Controlled change I think is when you have a list and if a part doesn’t work you just go back to the default position. Bit boring if you ask me ………. I like a proper full on shake up 🙂

Wow, you two have powerful blokes in tow. A weather changer and a two day party animal. Impressed.

Controlled. Managed. Lower risk change, that kind of number.

I agree with Peaches, and regarding The Arsenal, I’d recommend a full on shake up, shake down, and shakey all about

my bloke is Him above, you know 🙂 I promised Peaches I will pray for her 🙂

47. Can Arsenal do that this late in the season? Tim Stilman wrote an interesting article for arseblog about the ways AW has changed things in the past to get us into the top four. I’ll see if I can find it …..

I haven’t read the article, but can see what he’s saying about the dressing room.

I said on here a few weeks ago that I reckoned the players would decide Arsene’s future.

You don’t need to look at the fixture list to know that if the players don’t give 100%, the results will not come good.

Cor blimey. Just read it.

Still reeling from the shock of hearing Eddie is walking out with He what is on high!

forget this season!! Forget the next season
    maybe in 2-3 years time we will recover, not before

Now I’ve read it. Missed a large chunk. Hard to argue with him on any of the points.

what do you mean micky? did you not know I am hollier than Thou 🙂

sorry guys, I am very tired, going to bed early, speak soon

54. But we’ve seen that the players don’t really seem to be putting in the effort. We don’t have anyone on the fringes apart from the untested Perez that could be added in to create a bit of a ‘shake-up’

Eddie
    Taking emotion out of the equation, it is going to be fascinating to see how the club manage things.

Peaches
    To my mind it was the arrival of Sanchez that injected fires into bellies. I remember The Ox comment about how shocked they were about the energy and drive Alexis injected into games. A very shocking confession.
    Anyway, I think the Sanchez issue is a very major problem.
    If he gives up, I fear the worst

Sounds a bit gloomy, but funnily enough, I’m not at all. I really am in the que sera sera frame of mind.

I’m also a wretched taxi driver who has to pick up his daughter at 10, and even that is not gloomy. It was 12 two weeks ago 🙂

58. Micky
    I think the addition of Sanchez caused confusion amongst the other players. They weren’t used to the work rate and some weren’t able to adapt.

While Alexis was having fun, scoring goals and making assists it didn’t really matter whether the others kept up or not but when the shit hit the fan and Alexis stopped having fun it all crumbled and fingers got pointed.

I have no idea how it gets fixed. I could invite them all round for my Teriyaki salmon it seems to work on the spuds

Wow, the biggest tired stick just clouted me over the head, Outside for some fresh air before taxi duties.

Ah, the pointy fingers. Indeed. Add Mesut’s flus into the mix as well.

Does teriyaki salmon come with electric shocks?

61. Usually roasted broccoli 😉

Right, must go.

Get cracking with the weekend Peaches 🙂

63. Thanks, catch up tomorrow

64. fatgingergooner says:

It’s simple really. Attack better and buy players who can defend properly. Until these things happen our average defence will continue to be exposed.

65. fatgingergooner says:

That’s a shocker for Seamus Coleman. Hope he fully recovers.

Sorry I missed your response earlier Micky re: admiration, … I was being polite 🙂

Eddie, yes I’d definitely change my ethos …

Here’s a thing

Antarctica has 70% of all the world’s freshwater and the thickest ice is one and a half miles thick

Like wow

Rasp
    I wasn’t 🙂

71. It’s a wow from me too

rasp @11:44 – hurry up mate, I have a feeling you are running out of time

hi peaches 🙂

micky – so what is the horse poo the scientists are feeding us about the ice melting, making us feel guilty about our diesel cars and eating beef? How long would it take to melt so much ice?

I love this story

Fair play to Defoe, he spends a lot of time with Bradley 🙂

as with everything else I am obsessive about the environment, but I have serious doubts about the climate warming propaganda, are the findings correct? what do you think Didit, you are close to nature

75. chas mobile says:

Is all ice formed from freshwater?

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies, we meet again. What a pleasant surprise.

Sorry, went bush listening to Anibal Dos Santos 🙂

77. chas mobile says:

Thanks for the post, BR.
    No idea about the defence. It does seem pretty shite at the moment.
    I’d agree with the really long comments if I could be bothered to read them, I’m sure. 😑

Sea ice definitely forms, so the answer must be no.

no chas, there is some with chlorine, piss and poo for you 🙂

salty water freezes at lower temperatures than fresh water I think

80. chas mobile says:

Where is all the freshwater in Antarctica?

why would you like to know it chas 🙂

Most of it is below sea level as it happens

Copy pasted this

The driest place on Earth is in Antarctica in an area called the Dry Valleys, which have seen no rain for nearly 2 million years. There is absolutely no precipitation in this region and it makes up a 4800 square kilometer region of almost no water, ice or snow

84. Isn’t it the glaciers that are the interesting part, the ice bergs are bits that have broken off. I’m trying to get my head round ‘floating rivers of ice’ that form a land mass. Must have a small brain this morning 😦

Peaches

For me, while the facts and figures are fascinating, it is the sheer staggering beauty of the place.

For beauty and pure art, there is nowhere else on earth like it I don’t think.

86. You’re right, it is beautiful and very artistic. Natural phenomenons are amazing 🙂

Saturday = boiled eggs and marmite soldiers 🙂

88. Zed says:

Yum, Yum = eggs

Yeuk = marmite soldiers

How could you Micky?? 🙂

89. chas mobile says:

How did the freshwater get to Antarctica if it never rains?

snow?

morning RA

RA
    Could you have a word with Chas. He’s being a little awkward this morning.

92. chas mobile says:

😆

Interesting discussion about Antarctica. Fine diversion from the defence 😀

Morning all

Chas if you’d bothered to read my brief comment at 12.18 yesterday it had a full explanation of sea ice vs freshwater ice….that will teach you to ignore me 🙂

Erik

You know the rules of engagement for motning sessions. Like before 9am and all that.

As for a fine discussion about Antarctica. It was more a few admiring its beauty, while we had one pupil sitting at the back flicking peoples’ ears and blowing soggy paper pellets at Sir 🙂

hasn’t rained for 2 million years. How the hell do they know that?
    I don’t want to put a spanner in the works, or maybe I do, but I am soooo sceptical about ‘scientifically proven facts’. I am sure they make it up as they go alone

Peaches – perhaps you should go to Antarctica instead of Argentina? There are probable fewer gardens in Antarctica… 🙂

hello GB 🙂

The sun shines, but it’s bloody cold. I’m revving up to go outside soon.

Have to say that given the choice between Antarctica and somewhere warm, the hot sun wins every time.

Got a yearning to visit Honduras. Anyone been?

About Argentina. If it’s Patagonia you’re after, I’ve heard the Chilean side is better. Still got pumas and shit like that 🙂

Nope. Patagonia too chilly. I want jungle and white beaches and snorkelling

101. Zed says:

Well here I am too late to participate in the morning ritual and just in time for Raddy to say NEW POST – but as Chas (?) wanted to know whether or not ice in the arctic/antarctic was formed from fresh water or salt water, I will plough on.

[I think as a logical person, Chas, you will know this already] 🙂

— Sea water is salty — yay — ice formed from sea water = salty.

— Glaciers form on land and are made from rain or snow, which are fresh water — yippee — therefore ice made from icebergs which sheer off from Glaciers = freshwater.

— If Micky takes a leak on a Glacier, the yellow ice that forms = definitely salty. Don’t put it in your beer.

Please leave your gratuities on my keyboard! 🙂

Zed – and your point is???

103. Zed says:

Hi Eddie,

I was responding to a request from that very nice Mr Micky @ 8:06 this morning, to have a word with Chas (unpaid).

So, the question seemed to be “did the ice in the Antarctic form from salty sea water, or fresh water.”

I did not know I had to clear any helpful comment addressed to Chas with you first. Now I do.

look RA, there has been so much politics and fighting here lately, that it is safer to clear ANYTHING with the head office first 🙂

I met 2 Arsenal supporters today, old mates, neither wanted to talk about football. Not that I did to be honest

105. Zed says:

OK, Eddie, I hear you. 🙂

yep. Look at him, barely recognizable

107. VP of Oz says:

Morning all.
    Big day ahead… GPrix is on, my boy is playing Green Gully and its Peaches Birthday. Happy Birthday Peaches. If you were here in Oz, you would not have to share it with other mums as its not Mothers Day on this side of the world.

I’ve finally caught up on reading all the comments. As for nobody liking changes, I would have to disagree with that. I’ve worked 30 years in business change and love it. I find that change is a good thing as its a necessary outcome to fix something that is not work and I hate things that dont work. I know that AW has constantly been working on change or he would not have achieved so much and been so consistent over the years. In business, AW would be unsackable. You just cannot expect that amount of consistency for 20 years, especially when you have less resources/money than your bigger competitors. No business would take the risk of sacking a leader who can achieve more with less consistently for 20 years.

Can you imagine if AW managed Asic against the bigger Nike and Adidas and he regularly competed against them year on year for top place in the market and knocked Adidas out of 2nd place in 2016 etc. Unsackable!

and Age is not a factor, just look at the following –
    Arsene Wenger 67
    Hillary Clinton 68
    Larry Ellison 71
    Ted Turner 78
    Pop Francis 78
    Warren Buffett 85
    Rupert Murdoch 86
    Queen 90
    Rockefeller Sr died a few days ago at age 100, still in charge

So AW still has a good 33 years in him until he drops.

good morning?? I am off to bed. Good night VP

Great, 1 hours less sleep and I’m working tomorrow 😦

I thought AW said that he’d decided on his future and we would here of his decision ver soon?

VP,

Super comment I agree 100% – you never sack a consistent winner – especially a youngster like AW 🙂 🙂

VP – I’m recording the F1 as it starts at 1:00 am here. I’ll be watching it over breakfast,

Rasp,

Solution – go to bed one hour early.

🙂 thanks GN5, its an upset stomach so that’s exactly what I’ve done 😦

115. VP of Oz says:

GN5, unfortunately I will be at my sons game so cant attend the GP but I will be able to hear it cause its so damn loud:-)

is hit an upset stomach ?

VP, I go to Toronto every year to watch the Indy race but unfortunately we don’t get a F1 race in Canada – I wish we did.

I’ve edited myself …. 🙂

Self correcting magical comments no less, all of my FU’s stay in print.

120. VP of Oz says:

LOL, I’m off to church now, I’ll pray for Top 4 and FA Cup.

VP,

I coached my son at football but he was a disaster – no eye foot
    co-ordination. But he is both a tennis and darts champion as he has incredible eye hand co-ordination.

122. chas mobile says:

Me waking up this morning.

Happy Mothers Day

Chas

I’ll sing Happy Birthday Peaches while you do the Birth Dance of The Hallinghia People of The Forest.

Once you’re undressed, l’ll count us in

By the way, superb pics and vids

Happy Birthday, Peaches.

ha ha, far more appropriate than our sordid contribution 🙂

Happy Birthday Peaches

Hey Chas

I know this is going to sound a bit leftie and sensitive and all that bollocks, but do you think we should do a mothers day special for Peaches and Eddie.

What I’m actually thinking is that we could bag some good boy points which we could immediately start using up in a very inappropriate way. Whadya reckon?

130. Morning 😁

Thank you for your birthday wishes and great video chas 😁

Giroud, sigh, love that guy 😉

Right, cooking to do, entertaining my children, grandchildren and my mum for lunch. Will pop in for more pics and fun in a while.

Thanks guys xx

131. Zed says:

Good morning, All,

Happy birthday, Peaches, and happy Mothers’ Day to you and Eddie, as well as to any other mothers on here. 🙂

132. Zed says:

Just watched the Melbourne FI Grand Prix, and the suspicion is that the new owners wanted an end to the Mercedes convoy of winners, and we will now get another era of Ferrari convoys of winners

Fixed — and — Boring!

happy birthday Peaches!! have fun xx

micky 🙂 thank you for the mother’s day wishes. My son must be still asleep 🙂

135. VP of Oz says:

Zed – Mercedes and Hamilton were pretty confident with their new car etc. “As for the (Mercedes) engine? The world champions’ brains trust were coy about its capabilities, but the word on the grapevine is that this Mercedes V6 power plant should cause the team’s nearest challengers to quake with fear.”

Looks like Ferrari have trumped them. Maybe Hamilton should focus less on his singing career

136. VP of Oz says:

Lol GN5, tennis is good, not sure about darts.
    As for my son, he has already surpassed my peak from my youth and even scored 2 goals today.
    Looks like the GP’s are going to be competitive this season. I like the new design/rule changes. See, change is good:-)

137. VP of Oz says:

So the gossip is that AW is planning on making his decision known after the ManC game. A win and almost certainly he is staying on to prove his footbal economic model will overhaul the oil model (remember his Holding vs Stones comment). A loss and ….?

Nice day here. Crisp and sunny. Just right for a mother’s day brunch.

Happy Birthday Peaches. What is it like to reach your thirties?

140. Again 😁😁😁😁😁😘

141. Zed says:

Hi VP,

I really like the GPs but after a run of seemingly perpetual wins [OK ‘only’ 4 🙂 ] for Vettel in the Red Bull, it seemed that there was only Hamilton for 3 years, and then last year, rather fortuitously, Rosberg who were winning anything for 8 years in total — now it seems to be Vettel’s turn again.

Only the first race, but when Raikonnen gets in the groove it come be Ferrari’s era, as Vettel won with ease.

I was up at 5 a.m. this morning to watch, and as the clocks had gone forward an hour, that was like getting up at 4 a.m. and frankly the racing was a bit of a parade – especially as ‘smiler’ Danny had a tough week end and nothing worked for him.

OK, I will shut up now. 🙂

142. Zed says:

Umm — ‘it come be Ferrari’s era’ = ‘it could be Ferrari’s era’

Have a great day Peaches having 4 generations sitting down for a meal together sounds wonderful.

144. goonerjake says:

Back to 4-4-2.
    1 central defensive midfielder and one box to box central midfielder. Two wingers very attacking with top two giving you four attackers. Defenders defend only, with the two central midfielders helping.

Scrap zonal marking

145. wally says:

Henry Winter had a good article in yesterday’s times.

Sums up wengers time nicely.

Watching Ox play for England. He isn’t making much of an impression against a PTB team.

Not an impressive performance by England, at least we got the 3 points. The Ox didn’t have his best game, but he wasn’t the only one.

Very late. Extremely shattered Motning.

Some of your finest work Chas

Alan Sugar on a chopper 🙂
    First ever dog vid on a par with the best of the sliders
    Ice. Nice

Cheers

Pugglet 🙂 🙂 they are born comedians

match of the day is Theresa v Nicola. I have my money on the latter

Mind you, Mrs May is sort of growing on me. I thought she was a soft touch and will achieve little. She is not bad, very dignified in Europe

Sid with a pipe. He was a Gooner

Photon Rocket

Planck photon rocket drives — which in theory could hit velocities equal to 99.999 percent the speed of light — might eventually offer propulsion engineers a way to drastically reduce interstellar travel times without trashing the laws of physics as we currently understand them. A hypothetical photon rocket’s directional thrust would come from photons (or electromagnetic radiation in the form of light) and turn a one-way journey to Mars into a three-minute and four second trip.

Wow, I imagine this would knock fairly sizeable chunks off my four and a half hour trip to the Emirates. Probably wouldn’t even need to buy a newspaper.

I feel the opportunity for space travel has passed me by.

It was always an ambition from the days when I read The Eagle comic to visit Mars or Venus, sadly science let me down and we are no nearer than when I was a boy.

Simply not good enough, and I thought the cleverest people in the world were “rocket scientists”. I was wrong.

Oh Erik, you know very well the finest minds have always dedicated their creative juices in the direction of sausage making. Without a fine banger, the civilised world ceases to exist.

I am very much in the mood not to talk Arsenal.

Strange you should mention sausages. I was discussing the lack of variety here in Dk just yesterday.

A sausage is a wondrous comestible and yet butchers here have not developed their range. In a country with 25 million pigs, 12 million cows and only 5 million people it is strange.

Perhaps I should look at importing them.

We have a New Post …..