Was it really that bad? Enough to launch a Wenger Out campaign? Enough to insist upon radical changes in our squad?
Let me start with a statement which IMO is clearly true. Had we played our best 11 at SB we would have taken the points. We couldn’t and didn’t but that is not all …
We lost thanks to a dreadful refereeing decision.
Chelsea’s first goal came from a violent foul which affected not just the scoreline but the whole of AW’s plans. Bellerin was essential to our game at SB, Theo is pants without him, and we have no-one else with real pace to combat the Chavs attack.
A proper ref would have sent The Deviant Chav off and cancelled the goal. I was apoplectic that a cowardly elbow to the face should be rewarded with a gaol. It was not just crap refereeing, it was rewarding violent and dangerous play.
If it happened in the street it would have been ABH.
So, at one stroke the Chavs have removed a vital member of our team, scored a goal and are cock-a-hoop. We on the other hand have Gabriel at LB against a world class frontline.
Furthermore, the loss of Xhaka and Ramsey forced AW to rely upon hardworking but ultimately ineffective midfield, which could have a long-term impact upon the career of both Ox and Coq.
There is no getting away from the negatives, we lost an important game in a manner which hurt (forgetting the idiotic refereeing decision), and it raises questions…
- Ozil. Can a player be considered world class if he disappears in Big Games?
- If Sanchez leaves, would we be a better team?
- Walcott. What was his role?. The lack of intelligence of our front 3 was worrying.
- Cech. Is it time to promote Ospina?
- Monreal is a lovely chap but we have needed better for two seasons (if we can find someone)
- Coquelin. It isn’t his fault that Santi, Elneney, Xhaka and Ramsey are out, all of whom would start ahead of Ox, but it was time for Coq to show he is the go-to DM in the Arsenal team. IMO he showed he is a squad player.
- Ox. Where to start? Watford and SB, an ideal setup for him. Watford to get into the role of CM and Chavs to mix it with the best. He has all the attributes and did OK but we need more. I worry for his future. He needs a big game on the weekend (if picked)
Let’s be honest, the League was lost with the Watford game. Chas called it – he said it was a MWG, and it was. AW recognised it – in his press conference, Arsene’s face was a grey as his hair and tracksuit, he looked like John Major post election defeat. He was spent.
We are not as good as we should be but we are certainly good enough to challenge for second. A win tomorrow will start the repair process.
written by Big Raddy