China or Arsenal?

Imagine the situation …. you are sitting at your desk doing whatever it is you do (or in some ย cases out on the streets) when you get a call from a friend who says” There is the possibility of quadrupling your wages but you have to move to the suburbs of Shenzheng”.

Shenzheng is a smog filled, uninspiring, industrial city without a redeeming feature. You do not speak the language, no-one speaks yours. You have no contacts there, no friends. You look different so can never melt into the background, as such you are always a source of interest – there is no escape from the spotlight. They eat dogs.

Is more money enough?

Unknown.jpeg

Is it better to be in the footballing wilderness and earning an unspeakably disgraceful amount of money than to be at a club where the fans love you, you are an important cog in a team playing great football and you live in one of the world’s most interesting cities earning more money than you can spend.

Do you move?

I have given this much thought. What would I do?

Aged 25 I would stay in Europe. Aged 30 I would be on the plane, chopsticks in hand.

written by Big Raddy

71 Responses to China or Arsenal?

1. Mo says:

Why would you need more money at 30 than at 25 ?

When you reach 30 you will know

At 30 the author was paying fir the second divorce

At 20 I emigrated to what might as well had been China. At 30 I regretted the move, at 57 I’m still regretting it
    I can only hope that our more mature players have enough money to appreciate finer things in life

5. Homer says:

Would appreciate if your statement was Less Racial and Vile. China is just doing what English football has been doing to the less moneyed leagues of Europe.

6. VP of Oz says:

I had a colleague who moved to Dubai to double his wages. Wife and daughter stayed in their compound for safety and a Hijab when outside of the compound. They would have loved a move to Shenzheng.
    Me personally, if I wanted to go, my wife and daughters would tell me to go on my own. I prefer the rich life of being poor and happy then rich and sad.

Morning all, thanks Raddy. I can see the argument from both sides. The immediate extra money from China at say 30 for 3-4 years would be appealing but the reality is none of these people are going to struggle once retired anyway. Unless of course they have gambled their fortune away through addiction then it could be an option to get them out of that hole.

There is another consideration that the immediate extra money from China could leave you as the forgotten man, no longer relevant in the eyes of the footballing world at large. This could mean less options within football once no longer playing, say as a pundit or manager. The short term differential in the money could be bridged further down the line by the player staying and keeping them-self relevant in the eyes of the footballing world even when they retire as a player.

Eddie, nothing wrong with Cuffley, how can you regret it? Nice suburban affluent area, surrounded by countryside on the doorstep and with easy access to London. What do you want? Your own South Pacific island within sight of Richard Branson ๐Ÿ™‚

Homer. Don’t be so stupid. Racial, Vile ???

And since when has a question been a statement?

Couldn’t resist this one:

“Imagine the situation โ€ฆ. you are sitting at your desk doing whatever it is you do (or in some cases out on the streets) when you get a call from a friend who saysโ€ There is the possibility of quadrupling your wages but you have to move to the suburbs of Manchesterโ€.

Manchester is a smog filled, uninspiring, industrial city without a redeeming feature. You do not speak the language, no-one speaks yours. You have no contacts there, no friends. You look different so can never melt into the background, as such you are always a source of interest โ€“ there is no escape from the spotlight. They eat dogs.”

The thing is, would there really that big of difference for Tevez?

Actually I have driven through Shenzheng and I can confirm that you description really is accurate.

Love the line: “Aged 30 I would be on the plane, chopsticks in hand.” Brilliant, budge up.

11. fatgingergooner says:

Anyone else think the minutes applause planned for Ryan Mason at the weekend is a bit over the top? It’s a fractured skull, yes, but he will be playing again in 6 months. Are they going to start doing it for ACL injuries? or broken legs? Wouldn’t surprise me if this becomes a trend every time someone has a serious injury.

Cheers, BR.

As LB points out, for Tevez it would be a bit of a no-brainer as he doesn’t really speak English and as you say, 32 is about right for one last massive pay day.

Oscar moving at 25 seemed to be the real shocker.
    However his wife being of Japanese descent, his child being pre-school, his lack of a place in Conte’s 3-4-3 and moving to a club with a familiar manager, Andre Villas-Boas, all add up to making the enormous amounts of money on offer very attractive indeed.

As far as smog-filled cities go, this was a bit of a revelation this week.

p.s. Manchester is a really fine city these days

15. fatgingergooner says:

Maybe I’m being harsh on Hull and we should adopt the same philosophy. It would improve the atmosphere no end if you had to stand up and applaud for a minute every time it got to one of our injured players shirt numbers on the clock. You’d never get chance to sit down with our injury record! ๐Ÿ˜„

It does seem a little excessive.

I recall the wooden stand and seats at Craven Cottage. Doubt they are still there

17. fatgingergooner says:

Interesting article Chas and one I totally agree with. Doing a minutes applause for someone like Stilian Petrov battling Leukaemia I can totally understand, but don’t do it every single home game thereafter, and certainly not for people getting football related injuries (the Gundogan tribute was just embarrassing!).

If it carries on they’ll be reading out birthdays and obituaries during the games.

“We have Theo Walcott back in the squad and of course we lose Granit Xhaka because he will be suspended,” Wenger said at a news conference on Thursday. “The good news is that Per Mertesacker and Mathieu Debuchy are back in full training from tomorrow, so the squad is quite big but we are a bit short in midfield at the moment.”

Beware bad language.

22. Red Arnie says:

Interesting question, Raddy, thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚ A no-brainer really and I do not blame them. I would not make the same decision at 30, but that is because I am not a footballer.

I would not make it at 50 as well, because I would be bored to death, but that is a different issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

What a cracker from Charlie. I was so excited when he signed, but the London Lights etc etc

champagne Charlie ๐Ÿ™‚

Wenger is asking for clarification from the FA as to where he is supposed to go when sent off.

Does that mean that he is planning on attacking more linesmen?
    Over the remaining 5 months or he is hinting he is staying put at the Ems?

AW was in the wrong and remains so. He knows he should have gone to the stands – it isn’t the first time he has been sent off is it?

old dog and new tricks ๐Ÿ™‚

Raddy – is there a serious drug problem in Denmark? Why do they have quite rooms for junkies in Copenhagen?

Because it gives some dignity to drug users and keeps them off the streets. Also they have access to clean syringes which reduces the chances of spreadable disease.

Makes much sense to me.

Drugs are illegal here, including cannabis, though there is much discussion about it at the moment.

oh I see. It is just that I have read a report somewhere about soaring drug problem in Denmark and was shocked, I did not think Danes are that way inclined. I was sure it was all a bit of herring, some kinky sex in freezing waters, sauna and windmills. Drugs don’t fit in with my image of the country

Haha Eddie, that has always been my impression of Cuffley as well ๐Ÿ™‚

I have actually been in a sauna in Cuffley. unfortunately the kinky stuff was not forthcoming.

Morning all, sorry I didn’t get to comment on your post yesterday Raddy … reading back it led to some healthy debate and the customary muppet who thinks he can prove he is PC by misquoting others.

hello sweetie and GB
    Cuffley is ok, just not in Poland, tha’s all.
    I think the muppet was Chinese and objected to dog eating habits of his countrymen. Frankly I thought they only eat alsations once in UK, in china is all rats and cockroaches cousine

35. fatgingergooner says:

Anyone see Maureen’s interview last night? Apparently United didn’t lose because he refuses to accept the first Hull goal and therefore they are 18 games unbeaten. By that logic we have won the league for the last 12 years because I refuse to accept any goals scored against us! He then went on to mention how he stayed in the dugout and didn’t get sent off (dig at Wenger) and also how windy it was (dig at Klopp). None of it had the desired effect of covering up a shocking United performance though. They were terrible last night and would’ve gone out against a better side. I think Southampton will end up with the trophy.

fattie – I have seen that, he insisted it was 1:1 despite it being 2:1 ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

From today’s training – fuming about not playing tomorrow.

So Wenger got a 4 game touchline ban do we know how long Xhaka is out?

39. Hi Raddy, snowed under with Tax Returns so have not been able to comment. People don’t understand the agony us honest and honourable Accountants go through. As we speak i am completing a rather aggressive Bouncers tax. If I keep it down he will get the girls from Sophisticats to give me free lap dances. If I screw up I will be lap dancing for him.

China for me. I find Chinese women strangely attractive. I know Chinese girls tend to stick to there own, but when disturbed I can pass for Chinese.

40. Thats great news LB. Will try and get a ticket close to the Directors Box to be near him.

Dont know about Xhaka? I heard it could be four games?

BR
    Your 7.30 was correct, it wasn’t the first time he’s been sent off.

Mind you, he did receive an apology on that occasion because it was only a water bottle that got kicked.

42. Nice stuff chas. Strachans got no chance against Bould.

Does anyone else think Theresa May looks like unfriendly Poultry?

Terry
    It’s from Arsenal v Lens 1998.
    One of those hideous Wembley games.

Spitting image.

45. Yeah, I know chas. I was there. Strachan was acting like a twat during that game

46. haha, use to fancy her chas but something use to put me off? I think it was because I suspected her of been a vegetarian?

She don’t look so good, which of course is sad. I guess that’s what happens when you hang around to many animals? Looks like she’s been head butted by a Hyena.

who did you fancy Terry? Theresa may? Fuck off

Raddy – I noted your comment about Wenger, who in your opinion was wrong to insult the FA official. That’s the English upbringing for you. It is ok to moan about referees, criticise behind their backs, blame them for losing games but God forbid you should state your views honestly and openly. I will never come to grips with that.

I am not having a pop at you Raddy, I really am not. Just pondering how differently people think and behave.

Also, if the FA took action against poor performance of the refs, perhaps we would see less blatant errors from the men in black.

John Hurt died, how sad. My favourite British actor. Incredible talent

Eddie. Not concerned about his being sent off, that is perfectly reasonable given the standard of the referee. I was writing about AW knowing he had to go to the stand not to the tunnel.

8.10. Typical Winterbrun. Standing behind Keown and Boulder hurling insults

Morning all

Four match ban for AW eh, mmmmm, if I was Bould I’d stage a coup.

Make the bleeding obvious changes to formations in minute one, make one bleeding obvious substitution minute two, revert to playing attractive winning football and who knows ๐Ÿ™‚

Good to see you Micky.

I was worried you had succumbed to a surfing injury or shark attack

Now, on the flip side, if I was Arsene I’d sit in the stand looking suspicious ie wear dark glasses and occasionally whisper into my shirt cuff CIA style

Under if Mourinho was on the FA committee

No Erik otherwise it’d have been an eight game stadium ban

Having said that, maybe Maureen was on the committee and he knows we’d be better off without Arsene and therefore ’twas he wot swung the minimum ban ๐Ÿ™‚

Who is the transvestite at 9:36?

Thanks to GN5 and Erik for posts which I did read from my mobile

Back to GN5’s, and thinking of today’s team, I think Arsene should field a very strong XI as post Chav games against Pool and us, we’ll have a good idea if they’re catchable, so keeping FAC alive is very important.

There is a New Post