Swansea 0 Arsenal 4……..A fan’s view and player ratings.

There is never anything wrong with winning four nil and that, as you know, is exactly what we got and it sure made a pleasant change from going behind and having to claw our way back all the while with stress levels climbing to unhealthy heights before Giroud scores his customary late equaliser or winner. No, not this time Giroud got his goal early on and the valium remained untouched.

swans1

Swansea started as expected, new manager and all; he certainly watched the Bournemouth game and clearly believed that rather than park the bus his new charges best chance of getting something was to take the game to us. Well that would have been my guess anyway as they came out full of beans and full of belief but the new manager momentum soon wore off and after twenty minutes and we took control of the game.

The first goal coming from the lumbersexual as I said above but he seemed to hurt himself in the process. Half time came and went and surprisingly to me we came out after the break looking very determined indeed. So often we are guilty of going ahead and then taking the foot off the pedal allowing the opposition to get back into the game. Not this time, the sheer force of numbers as we pushed forward was impressive.

The second came from Iwobi who in an attempt to fire the ball low across the six yard line had the good fortune to hit a leg of one of the Swansea players which looped the ball up over the helpless Fabianski.

When things are going against you they really do go against you and that is what was happening to Swansea. It seemed as though we got all the breaks, not that I mind that but it would have been nice to have saved some of that luck for the forth coming Chelsea game. Iwobi yet again tried to send a low cross into the danger area only this time it hit an ex-spud and ricocheted into the net to make it three nil.

The good fortune continued when the ball bounced up kindly to the waiting Sanchez who simply steered it home to make it four nil and put the game well and truly beyond Swansea.

swans4

With such a lead it gave us a chance to give Perez another outing and Welbeck a few more precious minutes, there is an elegance to the way he glides over the ground, a thing of real beauty. I stuck my neck out a long time ago by saying that he will become the best striker in the league, I haven’t changed my mind.

Player ratings

Cech: few doubts creeping in recently to the point where some where suggesting Ospina might be given more playing time but then the helmeted one goes and puts in commanding performance like that, including a series of fine saves and you go nah, if the clock works. 8

Easter: as much as we love Hector the reality is that he is more of an attacker than a defender, the opposite, of course, is true of Gabriel and for that reason he unsurprisingly gives the defence a more solid feel; he is particularly effective being able to cover Mustafi when he goes walk about. 7

Mustafi: hay, you know the rule, when the German plays and we don’t lose, what’s not to like about that? Basks in Koscielny’s glow a lot but then Kos seems to look more effective when Skod is playing next to him so it balances up a bit. I like him. 7

Koscielny: good to have him back, makes a huge difference commanding performance, if Easter’s house is made of straw and Mustafi’s house is made of wood then Kos’s house is made of bricks. 8

Monreal: they really tried to kick the Spaniard off the park in the first half; poor man spent most of it rolling around the floor holding one part or his body in pain or another, a usual Nacho performance although not responsible for conceding a goal this week. 7

Xhaka: getting better or at least that is what it seemed to me from my tv. I always feel that with Granit you have to be at the game to really access what he brought to the table as in the position he plays in it is just as much about what you do off the ball as much as it is about what you do on the ball and his off ball movement is not shown on telly. Still, there didn’t seem too much wrong with his performance. 7

Ramsey: a perfectly acceptable performance; adds an important defensive element to the attacking part of the midfield and augments the attack in the 18 yard box extremely effectively. 8

Özil: slow start but got better as the game went on, another player that you have to see live to really access his performance. Some may remember, earlier on, especially after his goal against Ludogrets, I started wondering if he had indeed started to breathe the same rarefied air as Dennis Bergkamp? Chas put a few Bergkamp show reels up and my perspective returned. Nevertheless, I remain a massive Mesut fan and right now, we’ve got Özil, Mesut Özil, I just don’t think you understand you know the rest. 7

Iwobi: gave just that little bit more than expected, more drive, more goal threat, more chasing back, more all round really and for that reason I make him my MOTM. 9

Giroud: clearly disorientated, obviously lost all sense of time, well he must have as he scored in the first half rather than saving our bacon close to the end, still wouldn’t start in my team though. 7

swans2

Sanchez: I have no idea what he was doing after he had been subbed, I mean it’s understandable that he wants to play and being reassured that he will always be picked if fit has got to have been one of the biggest deciding factors in his choice to come to THOF; well it has to be doesn’t it, can you imagine him at a club spending large amounts of time on the bench? Happened at Barcelona; he must have gone nuts, another excellent performance with a goal to boot. 8

An LB offering.

79 Responses to Swansea 0 Arsenal 4……..A fan’s view and player ratings.

Excellent stuff, LB.

Really loved Iwobi’s performance yesterday.

Still not sure about the Ramsey Xhaka combo. They looked nowhere in the first 25 minutes.

Danny is a real athlete, much like TH14. I just hope he’s over his injury bad luck and can start to really fulfil his potential.

2. 80sirishlegend says:

Xhaka plays like Xabi Alonso but reminds me of Arteta as I agree you have to see him playing live to realise what he’s all about.

LB. Another great read.

The first half was so dull my attention wandered.

Second half, so much better.

Why?

AW said that Swansea were very good in the first half and closed down our passing selections. This raises the question of what changed in the second half?

If we are to challenge for the title, this has to be sorted out fast. the team cannot continue to start so slowly.

Thanks LB
    Very comprehensive report and I agree with your view

Also agree with Chas re Granit/Rambo combo, although having said that, we have zero options at the moment. With that in mind, I even googled the ACN to find out when our Egyptian may come home.

Hopefully Danny will take over from the “disorientated one” asap as I think the quality of our football would show a dramatic improvement.

Chas

Is the “passing network” picture at 8:40 good news or bad news?

Good pic Chas.

Superb LB, I watched the game on the screens at the Emirates and saw it the same as you.

The sighs of disappointment for misdirected passes were evenly distributed between Ramsey, Alexis and Mustafi … the rather odd clapping (to a screen?) were awarded to Alexis, Ozil and Iwobi.

We just need to get the midfield sorted and Ramsey needs a couple of goals under his belt so he can relax and regain his composure in front of goal.

I didn’t know you could watch it at the Emirates? How much do they charge, where do you buy tickets, where is the entrance, does this happen every game; if not, where do you find out which games are being shown?

LB

I’m popping out for a walk on Dartmoor, and a pub lunch, but want to leave you with a thinker.

I think we’d agree on a front three of Sanchez, Perez and Danny. The order? How about this. When tight in the middle and more bus parky, then Sanchez central as he’s the best when little or no room available, and when more on the counter, then Danny central for pace and power (think Galatasaray goals).

What d’ya reckon

ps Ollie from the bench, as he’ll always get his invaluable goal a game even in just 20 mins

Micky
    No idea if the passing network is good or bad.
    I was hoping a purist would explain it to me.

Hi LB. It was £8 pounds and you get a voucher for 1 free drink into the bargain.

You just book it online in the same way as you buy tickets for games. It is held in club level where there are a variety of screens including one large screen with a projector with rows of seats in front. You can sit anywhere and the bar is open plus there is food on offer too …. I don’t know how the club make money out of this?

I think it only happens a few games a season … away games with a 3 o clock kick off that are not on TV is my guess.

Which illegal stream do they use?

13. fatgingergooner says:

Good result, decent second half performance. Iwobi looked good, as did Xhaka. I have no issue with Sanchez being annoyed at coming off. He wants to score goals and probably sees the 4-0 score line as a real opportunity to get more and finish top scorer in the league. He was just as annoyed a few games ago when we were 2-0 up against Palace and he was desperate to score. He just wants to score.

If his attitude was poor on the pitch or it was affecting other players, then it becomes a problem, but nothing I’ve seen so far would suggest that.

14. fatgingergooner says:

I said at the beginning of the season that I hoped the signing of Perez would allow Giroud to rest more and therefore be fully fit for games and thus more efficient in front of goal. This has definitely been the case, although It’s actually been more to do with the use of Sanchez as a striker rather than Perez. Giroud has been far more clinical and he’s getting goals at a much quicker rate. In previous seasons we’ve flogged him to death all season and he’s had a slump around March as he’s fatigued. It will be interesting to see how he finishes the season and if Wenger rests him at certain times to make sure he can continue his current hot streak without getting worn out.

FGG. Good point about OG. With so many strikers AW has the chance to rotate (apart from Sanchez!)

I may be a fool but think Theo is a better in this team than Perez.

18. wally says:

That feels better, doesn’ t it. A few more please before we get into the tough stretch.

20. Thank you LB – easy peasy three points and four goals into the bargain 🙂

Seriously though, we made Swansea look good in the first half where they hassled and harried our boys until Giroud scored. In the second half we were all over them ……………. must’ve been cold in the away dressing room at Swansea.

I watched most of the game again last night on Sky as it was the featured game of the day – very unusual for Sky 😉 – and really enjoyed our football.

Iwobi keeps improving doesn’t he ………no-one seems to be able to get close to him. It was a shame for Sanchez as he’d been played out wide while Giroud was on the pitch and we (and he) knows that he scores more goals through the middle. Wait ’till he sees his dogs on a banner next Sunday, he’ll find that smile agai 😉

LB – I’ll give you a heads up the next time there’s a screening at The Ems.

Plenty of four nils about this weekend.

23. Class LB

Typical Gunners. Treat the first half like your sleeping with the wife and the last 60 with the mistress.

Iwobi is an incredible talent. Really pleased for the lad.

Don’t know what all the fuss is about Sanchez? We all know he has Dustin Hoffman style traits and is an excellent driver. If you give Alexis a pair of Y Fronts from K-Mart he would score a hatrick every week.

Don’t care if he goes ape shit about watching quiz show Jeopardy. He’s a brilliant player and I love him.

Funny old game

Rocky made an excellent point about Sanchez’ distribution – it is not his strong point but I love to see him on the ball. The way he turns a player is exceptional.

Must be his low centre of balance

Would be best iff MU/Liv ends in a draw

27. fred1266 says:

NOPE hate Jose to much

The Xhaka-Ramsey pivot have played 312 minutes together we’ve scored 13 goals (one every 24 minutes) & conceded 2

Happy with todays results 😀

30. Excellent results this afternoon 🙂

City play Totts next Saturday

Ok Chas, how is my sleuthing?
    I’m going to say 7:06 is a contemporary lady rather than one of the classic sirens. Good so far?

Next, I’ll guess she’s not A List totty. Why you ask, because A List totty probably uses A List photographers

Kylie

Susan Boyle?

Whitbread?

Diane Abbott

Yip, Abbott, I bloody knew it

Agree with Micky. Must be Abbott.

Chap in 7.01 looks like Rasp

Has there really been a whole day without a comment? Was my 8.45 so awful?

BR
    I thought it was because I filled the blog with drivel first thing in the morning; yet again.

Either that, or everyone else thinks that without an Arsenal game until next Sunday, there’ll be little or nothing to talk about.

What a load of bollocks, we can talk about bees and purism and opting out and… actually the list is endless

String Quartets being an obvious place to begin 🙂

For goodness sake Arsene, let’s see more of Perez

Like this 🙂

Some might say that 4-0 away at Swansea was vindication of the team selection. 🙂

Chas

“Some might say that 4-0 away at Swansea was vindication of the team selection”

Now you’re trying to wind me up 🙂 There is no vindication for that crap. I like beauty 🙂

Not so keen on a beautiful one nil win though, are ya?

Seriously, I’d take a beautiful 1-0 any day, however, a 4-0 AND beauty….we’re talking cigar and slippers 🙂

Can’t stay as I’m being booted off internet.

Evening all … it looks like Arsene has given up on The Corporal …. probably the right decision, at least now he may get plenty of games. Sad, but he always looked a bit short of the grade 😦

Why do I look like the 7:01? 🙂

54. fred1266 says:

Just saw Carl Jenkinson in talks to joke palace, nothing sure if it was mentioned

Rasp
    I reckon it’s because you go glassy-eyed in the face of beauty. 🙂

I presume Micky was kidding about not knowing who 7.06 was?

I went for some physio on my knee today.
    Why are all female physios so gorgeous?

What were your lot like at college, GoonerB?

Morning Chas

No, I didn’t know who yesterday’s celebrity was. Kylie I thought was good as she might have bad pics out there and still look gorgeous

61. chas mobile says:

Peter Sellers and Rod Stewart

Ekland? Wow

Minus 9 here and Mrs R is airing the apt!

I met Britt a few times though I never got to know her in the biblical sense as she found me weak, insipid, dull, uninspiring, ugly and impoverished. Apart from that I thought I had a chance.

65. TotalArsenal says:

But you do fabulous Arsenal previews, Raddy, and that is a good way to get into any girl’s knickers! 😍

Some fab Chas vids and pictures over the last few days.

There is a New Post