Why are we going backwards?

Jan 10th 2016.

Arsenal are top of the table with 43 points.

Leicester the same point total.

MC 3rd with 40

Spurs 4th with 36

MU 6th with 34

Liverpool 9th  31 pts

Chelsea   14th  24 pts.

images.png

Jan 10th 2017

Chelsea  49 points

Liverpool 44

Spurs   42

MC   42

Arsenal    41

MU     39

We have just two points less than this time last season. Chavs have 20 more points! Liverpool 13 more, MC 2 , Spurs 6 and MU 5.

Only City are consistent despite the addition of Guardiola

What is happening is that either the clubs above us have improved enormously or the clubs below us have worsened.  Or is there another reason?

written by Big Raddy

85 Responses to Why are we going backwards?

1. fatgingergooner says:

It’s pretty obvious that the clubs above us have improved on last season. If you look at their league positions last year then it tells its own story. Chelsea 14th!? Liverpool 9th!? Last season was a one off and a rebuilding year for most sides. We’ve remained consistent whilst those around us have improved.

I had an interesting chat the other day with a friend who is a Southampton fan. He actually said that he’d rather see his side get relegated so he can enjoy them getting promoted again, as being in the PL and playing for mid table is dull. He said he absolutely loved watching his side go from League 1 to the PL and is now bored of the current situation. I speak about this because I think it rings true with Arsenal. It’s not that we arent doing well year after year (most teams would love to be us) it’s just that it’s boring watching your team finishing short of the main titles every season and having very little to play for by March. Yes, we won the Fa Cup twice in 2 seasons, but that’s not enough for everyone and a lot of our fans are bored with the apparent lack of progression. Consistency is dull if it’s not consistently winning the PL or CL.

Liverpool and Chelsea had to put up with a poor season to be where they are now (pushing for the title). I wonder how many of our fans would take a year out of Europe if it meant we had a real chance of winning the PL?

2. Chairman Gallant says:

The reason for our present position is obvious: we have stagnated. While our rivals have improved, Arsenal is standing still. Now is the time for Arsene Wenger to act, otherwise we might find our team in a strange position at the end of the season

3. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers Raddy 😀⚽️

I think we are on course but the Chavs just had a very, very strong run, and with away games to Leicester and Pool this month they could be in for shock therapy. We played two away games in Manchester and played Everton away too, so in the second half of the season we should be able to pick up more points. All to play for and I disagree with the title’s premise. 😜🌶💥

4. VP of OZ says:

FGG
    Liverpool had to put up with a poor season to be where they are now (pushing for the title).

You realize that Liverpool have never won the PL title. I’m not going to get drawn into an argument on their CL win in 2005 and past success, just noting that their situation has nothing to do with a poor season now positioning them with a chance at the title, they have a double decade of history of chances and no chance of winning the PL title and I don’t see them winning it this season either. I’d have gone with another club choice such as Man C…

5. fatgingergooner says:

That’s my point though Oz, Liverpool are shite, but they are closer to the top of the league than we are at the moment and I believe that’s because they are not in Europe. If that same squad was playing European football right now they’d be nowhere near the top of the league.

6. VP of OZ says:

Yes FGG, but by season end I’m confident that LFC will be below us. They have a heavy schedule of shite competitions coming up and I’d prefer watching our schedule of games to their FA cup replay and EFL games etc…
    and I don’t see the points be reflective of improvement rather than the quality of the players that we are bringing in. I’d argue that our team has improved by buying Mustafi, Perez & Xhaka. The quality of new players continues to improve the team.

Thanks Raddy. Very interesting post but I would slightly alter your thoughts about going backwards and say that give or take a few points we are where we have always been for the last 11 years or so.

Gallant used the term stagnated and while I can see where he is coming from I would say we are just treading water and are no worse off or better off (performances and points wise) now than over the last 11 seasons.

I agree with FGG that fans become fed up with just treading water particularly if they feel we have the means to be doing better. I disagree about the playing in Europe thing as a way of excusing us though. I totally see how it could be having a relevant impact this year (in a positive sense for those not in it) but if you look at a number of EPL seasons historically many sides have won the league with a high points tally and still been competing in Europe, and probably will again even if it turns out to be more relevant this year.

It may be that Chavs and Pool would have less points if they were in Europe but I also ask whether we would have significantly more and I am far from certain about this because I think our chief reasons for treading water in the EPL mainly lie in other areas.

I have stated that I feel the most consistent way of assessing us is through historical league points tally (not league positions).

To back it with a few stats, looking at the last 11 seasons no team has won the EPL with less than 80 points with 86.82 being the average winning total. Only once have we exceeded 80 points in this period in 2007-2008 with 83.

If you then look at the fact that in only 2 of the last 11 seasons has the winning total been under 85 then those 2 years could be considered slight anomalies. Without those the average winning total is 88.2 points.

Our average total over the last 11 seasons is 72.82 which is 14 points shy of the average winning points tally. We looked to show a slight upturn in 2013 (gaining 79 points) with the extra money available and the arrival of top players but crucially we didn’t continue the momentum and have actually since dropped back closer to our normal average tally.

This season, at the half way stage, I feel we are in a similar position to normal, and are thus just treading water.

If the arrival of the better players is not seeing us get a higher average points tally to allow us to compete for the EPL then the reasons must lie elsewhere. We are basically year in year out 3-4 wins (from games lost) away from being in serious competition for the EPL.

personally I feel that this shortfall is more intrinsic to the club in the coaching, management and tactics than what we don’t have or need to bring in and sadly (very sadly) I don’t see us winning another EPL under the current management set up.

8. Dan says:

Perfect summary GoonerB, the obvious example being that in the past 3 seasons we have gone from 4th to 3rd to 2nd but our points tally has gone inverse to this with only 71 points last season.

Looking at our remaining fixtures which I think are marginally more difficult than the one’s we’ve played, it is unlikely we will break the 80 point mark and therefore we are almost certainly not winning the title I am sorry to say.

We’ve been very consistent but we are not progressing despite seemingly having better cash flow than 4-5 years ago, I am sure that Arsene, with his degree in economics, will look at things this way, which is why I believe he will leave at the end of this season unless a miracle happens.

I would be disappointed if he doesn’t ‘do the right thing’ because then one can only conclude he is a fantasist or is in it for the money (seems highly unlikely).

I just hope that behind the scenes there are plans in place for his succession but I don’t trust Kroenke/Gazidis to make a good decision and it is basically a catch-22 dilemma because we know Wenger is unable to progress, the stats prove it, but we have an American owner who has limited knowledge of football (certainly in Europe) and I would rather someone else appointed them, perhaps crazy as it sounds, Arsene might be the best man to select his successor!.

9. wally says:

Great topic BR. Great topic.
    There is still time left for this season but we’ve reached that inflection point in the year where your game needs to be getting better, not regressing. Something is missing. Year after year we’ve added, spent money on people we would all agree make our team better and yet the results don’t change. Why?
    The possibilities:
    1) The players are not as good as we think they are.
    2) The manager is not getting the most out of the players.
    3) Our way of playing is not good enough.
    4) The players lack the requisite gumption to win the league. They don’t have enough mental fortitude or fire in the belly to win. (And thus yesterday’s topic.)

I’ve believed for awhile now that the problem lies in wenger’s personality. Teams adopt the personality of their leadership and in our case it’s wenger. For better and worse. Wenger is a wonderful man and he’s too cerebral. He looks for players like himself. They seem to treat losing like a geometry problem. They’ll think their way thru it. And while certainly a desirable characteristic it’s not sufficient. You need passion as well. You have to be able to impose your will on the game. Sometimes we see it in our boys, but it’s not a staple of our character.
    Outside of sanchez who would anyone say has the burning desire to win.
    Who would disagree/argue against having 3 more sanchez-like characters in the team?

Thanks Raddy. I’m not sure we are going backwards …. but we are slipping sideways.

I agree with Wally in that the manager’s personality does have an influence on the team and Arsene is a calm and collected character. Not only have the teams around us recruited better players, but they’ve also recruited better managers … or should I say managers who are overtly passionate and involved when their teams play.

Raddy here our our historic PL stats after 20 games.

My opinion is that based on our standards we are about the same as we have always been in our history. We would have to compare the other teams history to get an overall viewpoint.

But suffice to say if we had not dropped 8 points in the last 5 games we would be tied for 1st and would have the most points in our history after 20 games.

So my question would be have we actually got worse or are we the victims (yet again) of poor officiating; not to mention our poor performance in those 3 games.

(I hope the spreadsheet is legible)

Season G W D L Pts GF GA
    2012/13 20 9 7 4 34 40 22
    2013/14 20 14 3 3 45 39 18
    2014/15 20 9 6 5 33 34 25
    2015/16 20 13 3 4 42 34 18
    2016/17 20 12 5 3 41 44 22

12. TotalArsenal says:

So feisty Xhaka, extrovert Mustafi and ljunbergesque Perez are reflections of Arsene’s personality. Interesting theory.

Completely agree with Dan and Wally. My comment was never aimed as an anti Wenger one. He is our greatest ever manager and in 10-20 years will still be regarded as such.

For me his character and conviction that has served him and us well in the past I feel now hinders his progression of this side in the modern era and while he hasn’t become a bad manager by any means he just lacks some 10% now which probably regularly constitutes a large amount of the points deficit.

I would actually like AW to be part of overseeing his succession and in reality would like to see him move upstairs and oversee youth recruitment as he still has a keen eye here. He also still has great kudos in the footballing world and could help persuade top players (under the next manager) that THOF is where they should be.

Whether this happens or not remains to be seen. I do think we may have to accept a temporary downturn in fortunes when changes come from where we have been consistently sitting over the last years, and should stick with any new manager while he stamps his identity, and hopefully with AW’s help and advice when required but not in an overly interfering or intrusive way.

I don’t feel he can bridge the regular gap in points and that we will win another EPL with him, but it doesn’t stop me hoping it will happen.

Cheers Erik. Great conversation piece.

Much as I dislike consistency, it’s what you need to win the league, and I don’t think we’ll ever win the league under Arsene because he is so inconsistent on one of the most important aspects. Team set up.

He cannot help buggering about. Examples from this season. Sanchez central. All going well. Moves him. Mesut rests, plays Iwobi there. Then moves Iwobi and plays Aaron there. Then moves Iwobi back and moves Aaron. Aaron has played left mid, deep mid and No10. As for Coq, Elneny, Granit and Aaron combos. Half the season gone and I don’t think he’s got a clue how to make it work.

Match days should not be for mucking about with formations and let’s all take it turns.

Still think we could fluke it this year though 🙂

15. TotalArsenal says:

GoonerB,

I reckon Arsene will leave at the end of the season. Only if we win the PL or CL will he consider to stay on. It is entirely up to him as the BoD will exntent his stay in a heartbeat. The stats they are interested in are not yours. Two FA cups in the last three years and finishing second last season will give them confidence that we are gradually improving. But most importantly, Arsene always qualifies for the financially vital CL and then for the next stage, without fail. We might have become blasé about this but a business man never will. I happily see us try another manager if we were to lose out on silverware this season by the way.

TA
    The CL qualification chat is an interesting one. Clearly teams without the games have a fixture advantage, but you’re right about the money.

Talking of fixtures, FIFA have announced an increase to 48 teams for the World Cup 202?

Here’s the really funny bit that they’ve clearly thought through in the best interests of spectator and not the extra cash 🙂

There will be 16 groups of 3 teams, with top 2 qualifying. Naturally only two of the three can play out the final group game.

So, absolutely no chance of those two agreeing a result to see both teams through then 🙂

18. TotalArsenal says:

It’s becoming a farce, Micky. Why not twelve groups of four with top two qualifying?

I don’t know 🙂

Well, scratch that, I do. Cash.
    This way only 16 teams go home
    Your system and 24 go home

21. TotalArsenal says:

Just realised that 24 is not a good number to continue with, unless there are six groups of four countries and only winners and two best runners up qualify for the semis.

22. TotalArsenal says:

Good point, Micky. Maybe the WC has lost its charm for me now.

23. TotalArsenal says:

Not semis but quarter finals of course…. time for a rest me thinks 🙃

Thanks for the interesting comments.

The headline of the post does not reflect my opinion but was intended to open up a discussion which happily it has.

I believe we have improved slightly but the others have improved even more. Chelsea and Liverpool are not only winning but playing some great football. I hate to say it but Spurs have the look of a coming club with a very good manager and a fine set of young players, plus they will soon have their new stadium.

Thank you GB & GN5 for the stats. GB’s average points needed to win the PL are enlightening.

Cheers, BR, for an excellent conversation starter.

Since 2008/9, when more teams became real contenders for the League, nobody has won two in a row.
    By definition, the Champions have gone always gone backwards the next season.

It’s such a shame we haven’t managed to put a whole season together and clinch the title ourselves.
    (In the 2015 calendar year we finished 8 points ahead of our nearest rivals, Man City but, of course, that wins you nowt)
    Maybe finishing less than first would be a little more acceptable if we had managed to find that consistency between August and May.

Maybe the spuds gifting us second last season will be the best we’ll see before AW naffs off. Who knows?

chas. I fear you may be right

Micky your 2.47 would sum up my feelings very well. AW has too many players that have similar attributes or have the same best positions so he constantly moves players into different positions in different games. We still likely need 1-2 specialist upgrades in certain positions but they don’t appear to be a priority and he does seem intent on collecting a certain type of similar player, mostly CM’s, and then having to play them out of position to get them all game time.

I will also be interested to see the line up over the next few games with regard to who starts up top. If Ollie becomes consistent 1st choice again it will not bode well for me. Things like Ollie up top and Ramsey to the right were tried and found wanting 3 seasons back and every season since so a return to that will be madness. I like Ollie but he seems most effective later in games and we play better when we get on the front foot in games with a more mobile and pacy attack from the outset. Ollie has had purple patches every season and been promoted back to 1st choice only to find it doesn’t work consistently.

TA I tend to agree with you that the BOD aren’t likely interested in those stats but the majority of the fans will be. It could become a horrible bumpy ride at the ems if the wheels start to come off, and I wouldn’t bet on it not happening. Just because we have maintained a consistency in the top 4 for so many years it doesn’t mean we will continue to do so. especially with the 5 other top table rivals showing form and seemingly ambition to improve.

GB

Despite the negative side to my comment, I do believe we have the players capable of winning the league this season, and I also believe it could happen.

It’s a question of locking into a system and sticking with it, and players filling in for injuries/rotation in an established system, and each with clearly defined roles.

Absolutely agree Micky. I have felt we have had the players capable of winning the league in the last 3 seasons. AW has built an excellent squad but he now has to get the absolute best out of it and get that consistency across the season. It is all still very possible this season, and we could go on a big run like we did in his first title winning year, but I think he will have to make some difficult decisions with who plays and who doesn’t and in what positions. Will he though because I think this will require a level of ruthlessness I don’t normally associate with him?

30. Class Raddy

I don’t think we’ve gone backwards. We’ve just been stopped in our tracks and seem a bit startled. A bit like spoting your doppelgänger and thinking “I don’t like the look of that bloke”

For me, Arsene is still the man to win us the title, and I believe we have the best team.

Do you know Raddy, sociopaths have the ability to lie to themselves. I myself have never failed a lie detector test. Indeed, I had a three year affair behind my wife’s back and yet had never met the women and that stash of homosexual magazines in my wardrobe are not mine.

So I invite all the doubters to join me in sociopathic behaviour. Within a few days you will believe we can win the Champions league and get banged up for a crime you are sure you did not commit.

Last thing. Those who walk on hot coals have the ability to convince themselves of anything so proportionally speaking commit more murders of which they are innocent than any one else.

So if you see an Indian Guru in the pub, don’t turn your back on him.

I agree with the word ruthless and lob in the word decisive

Such a waste as an accountant 🙂

Transplant

You need an occupation that frees that expansive mind of yours to do its work, so that come the dark hours, you can apply the pen to paper.

How big is your garden in Bounds Green? I’m thinking shepherd and a manageable sized flock

Erik
    I think your post has been a triumph and highlights the success of how a few carefully selected words can generate some quality chit chat
    Bravo

35. TotalArsenal says:

GB, the club have managed the fans expectations quite well until now, but it is a force they will need to reckon with if Wenger was to sign a new contract AND yet he doesn’t win silverware this season.

36. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, agreed to the need to stick to a system. I am also confident that we could win the title with a bit of luck. Not counting on it though! 😳

6.36 brings back so many happy memories. Railings were green in the old days

I hate Arsenal tube station because of that tunnel

Morning all

Claustrophobia? Or were you menaced?

I have written a short post. An old man’s ramblings.

Claustrophobia
    Horrible. Common complaint of the control freak 🙂

Hey Erik
    I just bought some £80 in ear Sennheiser headphones
    Wow, the sound is epic and the bloke next to you on plane/train can’t hear a thing even at max volume
    It’s another world in quality from the standard issue apple ones

What the heck do the £500 in ear ones sound like?

Do you think Eddie is up yet?

I have Bose noise cancelling in-ears when travelling and B&W P7’s over ears for home use but I am a headphone snob-

Looking a a set of wireless jobbies next. Probably B&O but perhaps I will wait until they come down in price and there is a better selection.

Which model of sennheiser?

Called Momentum

Is that why I hate enclosed spaces? Because I am a control freak? Damn … now I have another psychological problem to battle with.

Very good reviews.

Poor man’s version I bought. Perfectly adequate for the tone deaf and a massive upgrade on the apple ones.

Eddie has breakfast first

My words of warning to you all this breakfast time: try to avoid cancer, stay off the bacon. Deadly shit.

Chas
    Was this recently you upgraded to Sennheiser? I got mine yesterday and I cannot believe the quality from something so small. How can the base be so clear

bass

A tenner for a pair of ‘phones!!

Perhaps I am deceived by the hype of expensive ‘phones and couldn’t tell the difference. I should try some out

Oh No. I love bacon.

Please tell me it’s not true.

Sorry Erik, bacon is deadly. I’m at war with the Soil Assoc ie Organic lot, who under bollocks guidance from Brussells (read corrupt cash) allow Sodium Nitrite.

Denmark has highest cancer in world, with France (think pork charcuterie) second

Back in 20mins

what they also have in Denmark which shocked me to learn were quite rooms for junkies to inject heroin. I had no idea they had drugs in Denmark, no wonder they are ranked amongst happiest countries in the world

Raddy, it was a very good post. when I read the title I thought that perhaps you are beginning to see that something is not right with the AFC. I didn’t know the title wasn’t your choice 🙂

Ok, I think that the oppo didn’t just improve on the last season. When we laughed our heads off at their poor form last year, they were silently regrouping. New, excellent managers finished the exercise and they all challenging for the title. Mind – Pep and Conte have still a lot to show, they are in the gelling period.

I predict that next season is going to be unprecedented, highest points, huge gap between top and middle, top teams killing the opposition.

Arsenal, we are just plodders.

Eddie

Conte still in the gelling period is a scary thought. I was rather hoping he’d peaked and plateau’d off 🙂

yes micky. conte, pep, klopp and probably Mourinho too. And Pocettino. All excellent managers (minus Mourino who rules by fear and intimidation). A couple more purchases this summer for chavs, pool and both mancs and we are fecked, good and proper

Morning all

Right Micky, need to know more. Is the cancer thing to do with anything of the porcine variety or is it about prepared meats. If the latter is one type of prepared meat worse than another?

GB – examine couples you know – they eat the same, both smoke or one is a passive smoker, drink/not drink, argue/are happy. One dies of cancer, the other from some other casue. It is all genetic.

Oh wow, I have cycled to the ground now for donkey’s years but I just saw the picture of the Arsenal tube walk, that particular part reminds me of holding my dad’s hand.

LB. Exactly. So reminiscent.

Eddie. It was my headline. And I am undecided how we are progressing.

And cancer are not just genetic. Lung cancer is caused by cigarettes, the evidence is unequivocal. People who smoke are stupidly denying the dangers by pointing at the few folk who smoke in the dotage.

If there is a link between eating pigs and cancer I want to know.

LB
    That reaction to the photo was perfect.
    We lived in Edmonton, so got the 279 along the Seven Sisters Road when I was a kid. The walk along St Thomas’s Road is what drags me back in time.
    The tube is a more recent memory since living away from London.

Just imagine having to see White Hart Lane from the bus every time we wanted to watch The Arsenal.
    Deeply ingrained aversion.

Raddy – my grandmother smoked for 40 years, died at 95. I know someone who never smoked and died of lung cancer. My mother (84), is sitting next to me alive and kicking after 50 years of 20+ a day. My father smoked 40+ a day and died of prostate. No rules but lots of exceptions.

Today my son’s father and my best friend is to hear his biopsy results. He knows it is cancer, but we don’t know if it’s malignant.

Raddy – you know you shouldn’t be eating pigs 🙂 🙂

Morning all, I see you are having a food/health debate.

My two pennyworth …… processed meats of all varieties are pretty bad for you and we eat more bacon than the others in this country. Pork in itself is not a problem. We shouldn’t eat red meat more than twice a week on average, and opt for chicken and fish the rest of the time if we want to eat meat …. at least that’s what the food police are telling us.

Oh yes, and carbs in all their forms are the new ‘fats’ and are the single biggest factor in the rise in obesity 🙂

rasp – obesity and you??!! you look as if you could do with some extra helpings of bacon 🙂 🙂

how was your skiing? I bet you loved it

GB

I like Eddie’s thinking, however, the science/stats behind smoking/cancer are pretty conclusive. Ok, now processed meat.

Google WHO sodium nitrite (World Health Org). In short, pretty much all processed pork products list Sodium Nitrite (see any pack of ham, bacon, salami) and again the evidence is damning

The stuff is basically a preservative for both shelf life and colour retention (that nasty pink).

It really pisses me off that it’s been ruled acceptable in organic products.

You can go online and buy nitrite free bacon

Hi Eddie, I’m afraid the skiing was a bit of a disaster. I fell over a lot and then dislocated my finger … it was sticking out at right angles. The very nice French medics x-rayed it and then popped it back in (for 270 euros) but that was the end of my skiing experience. But the ambience of the resort, the beauty of the mountains, and the nightlife were all excellent 🙂

Rasp
    Please tell us it was your little finger and that it now permanently “pinks” 🙂

There is a New (and quite frankly crap) post

micky – there is more nitrate in your spit than in a whole load of bacon.

Eddie
    It exists in its natural form in spinach as well, but the processed stuff is bad news

Rasp
    Pleased it was only your finger, though painful enough, I’m sure.

I’ve just been for an x-ray on my knee. The chap using the machine couldn’t understand why he couldn’t see a square on view of my kneecap.
    Probably because it isn’t square on anymore. 🙂

let’s turn the page

You say nitrate, I say nitrite.
    Let’s call the whole thing off.

Feckin love spinach