Arsenal: a transfer epiphany.

You all know the Didit footballing code. Score goals and then score some more. A simple, elegant and entertaining formula. As always, with the transfer window upon us, my thoughts turn to acquiring expensive goal scorers.

At least, my thoughts turned that way until yesterday.

I fell off my surfboard, and in the style of Harry Kane, had forgotten to close my mouth. The body filled with salty water. Time became meaningless and I entered a state of calm. It was as though my old life had vanished as I became becalmed and floated on a peaceful and tranquil cloud. I was free and my mind could move to more pressing matters like the Arsenal transfer window.

Fall-in-Head-First-300x212.jpg

Enter Epiphany.

Epiphany was not a striker, not even a wide boy heaving with goals, no, Epiphany was a midfielder.

Across the front, we have goal scorers. Sanchez, Ollie, Welbeck, Perez, Theo and even The Ox. Danny Welbeck has just turned 26, but due to a year out, his body is 25. I have said before I believe he will be a striker, and I also believe that within two years he will be world class.

Mesut plays No10.

Behind him is where Epiphany slots in. We know Coquelin and Santi are the strongest pairing, and we know Elneny, Xhaka and Aaron are squad players.

Arsene has tried every permutation of the above runners and riders and nothing works as well as Coq Santi, with the latter’s days numbered because of his short legs.

There is also another glaring weakness. A true leader. In other words, we’re looking at a man with the spirit of Adams, the touch of an angel, the heart of a lion and the vision of an eagle.

Are these kind of midfield generals easy to come by? Are there any out there?

Of course money is not an obstacle. We have cash and can also trade up. Any ideas?

49 Responses to Arsenal: a transfer epiphany.

1. TotalArsenal says:

Beautiful description of Adams, Micky. I think you have focussed on the right area for improvement, even though we have so many midfielders already. Having said that, the CoqElneny combo is very solid and Xhaka will come good, just needs a season to adjust. Also believe that Jack will replace Santi sooner or later and possibly Ozil eventually. I am getting worried about Rambo not being able to fit in; next few months will be big for him. Do we simply have to many mids?

Just can’t see it Micky.

Wilshere, Xhaka, Coquelin, Ramsey, Ox, Iwobi, Cazorla, Elneny, Jeff and Zelalem.

Though if we could sign Veratti I would be happy.

Morning lads

Not one of the players mentioned so far is world class. Sure, they’ll do, but that is not what we’re talking about. Next level football is what I’m after.

4. TotalArsenal says:

It’s all about combining the right players in the DM pivot, Micky. Getting this right is hard so it seems. The Spuds have Wanyama and Dembele; individually not world class but working well as a tandem. Chavs have Cante and that Eastern European lad and Cesc has become a bench. We have better midfielders but cannot get the right duo at the moment (and I don’t think Coq/ Santi is the best option).

Great job Micky.

First let me apologise for my recent absence … I went away for a winter break but only managed a dislocation 😦

As to the need for a midfield general who can knit the side together into a potent attacking force …. yes absolutely, but such players are few and far between. We need a player who defines and orchestrates our style of play.

All of our CM options are different, and pretty much all on the same level.

We can still hope that Xhaka develops into ‘that’ player, but he can’t claim that position when he is picking up red cards and giving away penalties …. a leader must have judgement and control.

Actually, when you look at it, we have too many candidates for that role …. maybe one or two will leave in the summer and another option will be recruited?

“A true leader. In other words, we’re looking at a man with the spirit of Adams, the touch of an angel, the heart of a lion and the vision of an eagle.”

Blimey, he’s gone all Nobel Prize for literature on us 🙂

Thanks for the read, can’t see it happening but we were choc full of midfielders before Xhaka arrived and who saw that one coming?

Arsene does like a midfielder and seems to collect them as avidly as my girlfriend collects handbags, so on that basis I suppose it could happen.

7. VP of OZ says:

Rakitić

I doubt that Wenger would see Rakitic as a big enough upgrade on Ramsey.

I have been underwhelmed by Rakitic.

Don’t forget that some rabble paid €30m+ for the very average Sissoko which shows how few and far between top DM’s with leadership skills are.

10. Quality Micky

A few years back I was involved in a tragic sinking of a fishing vessel off the Aegean.

Unfortunately, my five other crew mates didn’t make it, two were so drunk on ouzo they started smashing plates and swimming the wrong way, Captain Niarchos shot Mixalis in a struggle for the only life jacket but perished himself after attempting to save his stranded volleyball Wilsonopolous, and fat George, while been forced at gun point, couldn’t hold his breath long enough whilst acting as my life raft.

Though i had heroically survived, I found myself stranded on a desolate rock with only a deceased fat man and a Fed Ex parcel for company. I knew then that the only way I was to survive and deliver that Fed Ex parcel to a twat owner who would no doubt put in a compensation claim for late delivery, was to feast on fat George and locate water.

George was delicious, and large enough to cater an Indian wedding, but I could not find water anywhere. It was at this point like yourself Micky, i made the fateful decision to drink salt water.

After a few hours I started to feel ill. I wasn’t sure if it was the salt water or the leg I had just eaten for dinner, but I could feel myself beginning to hallucinate.

it must be the sea water Micky because I to had visions of a midfield general….it was Jack Wilshere. It was at this point I heard the cry of the Siren, beckoning me into the sea with a sultry delightful tone that no man who has not been blackmailed by the KGB could ignore. Fat George was unmoved, I always knew he was a Jessie, the Russians must have had a photo of him.

As I was about to merge with the sea, Wilshere grabbed me “You aint going no were mate. i need you to cover me whilst I go forward and create the goals for our strikers and also keep a look out whilst i have a sneaky fag”

After I was rescued, only doing 1/3 of my prison sentence, apparently there was still 2/3 of Fat George to go round, I knew that Jack Wilshere was destined to be our captain and Midfield leader.

Upon release I returned home and proudly travelled to Arnos Grove to deliver the Fed Ex parcel to a Mr P S Etheridge. “What the f*ucks this? Two years bleeding late? Im going to sue Fed Ex, and sue you as bleeding well. Look at the state of you, you look like you’ve been stranded on a desert island, had a fat man for dinner and been drinking the sea water”

At this point he opened the parcel and its contents were 12 bottles of Evian drinking water and a receipt including a 10% discount.

Jack Wilshere for me.

😀 😀

I love a story with a happy ending

Fecking bonkers (and I don’t mean you Raddy). He’s been on the sea water again. Patience dear Terrance, that large cheap brandy is on its way to a glass near you soon.

Thanks Micky will try and comment more later.

Transplant, by a landslide. So original and absolutely brilliant.

Thank you.

Thanks VP, for the other suggestion. At least he would be expensive 🙂

Ooo, just remembered, FAC draw tonight. 7’ish

Would Busquets like a pay rise and a few years in London?

Cheers, Micky.
    If there was another Vieira out there, I’d imagine AW would have already had his feelers out.

I like the idea of Jack maturing and becoming that player. I also think Xhaka will improve as his Arsenal career progresses.

Here’s to the 4th round draw…..

Chas
    This last 70/71 vid is brilliant.
    Started to watch but no time to finish. Will watch the rest in the morning
    Thanks

Wow, missed the one before. Another 35 mins. Can’t wait.

Me too. Really looking forward to watching them tomorrow

Southampton or Norwich v Arsenal

Summary

Draw: Tottenham v Wycombe
    Derby v Leicester
    AFC Wimbledon/Sutton v Cambridge/Leeds
    Plymouth/Liverpool v Wolves
    Southampton/Norwich v Arsenal
    Lincoln/Ipswich v Brighton;
    Chelsea v Brentford
    Man Utd v Wigan;
    Palace/Bolton v Man City

Thanks GN5

Not a great draw or even some other bigs drawn together

24. fatgingergooner says:

What an awful FA Cup draw, not just for us but in general. No big ties really and we probably have the toughest game assuming Saints beat Norwich in the replay.

Rubbish

Time to break the Southampton bogey

Full FA Cup fourth round draw:

Southampton or Norwich v Arsenal

Plymouth or Liverpool v Wolves

AFC Wimbledon or Sutton Utd v Cambridge United or Leeds Utd

Oxford United v Newcastle or Birmingham

Derby v Leicester City

Tottenham v Wycombe

27. Top stuff chas. Just watched part 1 and am now in such a good mood, tomorrow I may actually talk to people. I suspect after watching part 2, I will probably ending up performing a ventriloquist act.

No wonder he’s having trouble with his ankles.
    Last time I saw legs that skinny they were hanging out of a nest.

Chas I have every home game programme from the double season and many of the away programme’s.

You would think that with all his money he could buy clothes that fit.

32. VP of OZ says:

The Professor – Mateo Kovacic
    or
    Luca Modric
    or Rakitic

Any of or all… + Slaven Bilic to replace AW at end of season

Arsenal has a rich history of great Croatian players such as Davor Suker and Eduardo.

I’m still on holidays so am playing up my Croatian heritage angle

But in seriousness, I would like to see Wilshere back.

33. goonerincali says:

We should paddle out some time! Your style is impeccable.

Ahoy Chas
    Forgot to thank you for great pic. Even got a mention from Goonerincali 🙂

Micky
    That wasn’t me.
    I imagine it was Franz Klammer. 🙂

Whoops, just had a look and it appears I was doing the druid a disservice. 🙂

I can’t stop giggling at that pic of Bell.

You’re right, his ankles are bird’ish. What a knob he looks. I only pray he was paid vulgar amounts to sport that lot. It’s right up there with the Sami Nasri denim pic

Franz Klammer made me think of this.
    Bradley is a Gooner.

Franz Klammer ha ha ha

ps Rasp, I sort of apologise 🙂 At least hope it happened on your last day and didn’t ruin your holiday

What a crap FAC draw. Two away tripes in a row and we struggle at S’ton.

Yesterday’s pic made me laugh and it was appropriate to the post

There is a New Post

Can’t be bothered with fake posh voices. With my daughter being into the whole horsey thing I tend to say hello to horses with an air of desperation and the thought “you’ve made me skint and I wish I could sell you to the French” type of voice.

46. fatgingergooner says:

If you want world class then you’re looking at Modric, Kroos, Busquets but these types of player are difficult to sign.

Personally, I’d look at someone like Koke from Atletico. He’d be more realistic I think.
    Saul Niguez or Weigl would be younger options who look like they will become world class.