Hello Arsenal, Shanghai Shenhua calling”

32 year old Carlos Tevez transferred from Boca to Shanghai for £70M.

Oh, and if you think that’s funny, then let me tell you his wages: £615,000. Per week.

We’re talking New World Order stuff here, and I reckon David Beckham could be lacing up again any minute. I would.

Unknown.jpeg

These are exciting times, but like all good things, the window of opportunity will be small, and by that I mean the gulf in value between some old has been and serious investment value European old world value.

32 yrs Tevez at £70M, 23 yrs Pogba £90M. The world’s highest wage earner v the world’s highest fee. Wow, this does not stack up.

I don’t want to be a shit stirrer here, but just thinking out loud, we have a buyers and a sellers market at the same time. That is insane. What would be even madder, would be to keep any cash in the bank (I know, it has been for a while), as it should be so easy to trade up in quality.

Any player with any kind of pedigree and star quality has seen his market value rocket.

If I was, Ooo I don’t know, say Theo for example, I’d be thinking: chances of playing for Barca or Real slim, winning the CL with Arsenal slimmer still, success with England don’t care, had a new baby and he’s going to want a new iphone any minute now and these things ain’t cheap.

images-1.jpeg

Ring, ring “Hallo Shanghai, Theo here. I’m free, and I may well have two mates as well who’d be interested”

Or, will the phone call be coming from the other end!

98 Responses to Hello Arsenal, Shanghai Shenhua calling”

Random uplifting thought to start the morning…………

Did anyone see Francis Coquelin celebrate Giroud’s goal from the bench………….

Very impressive……………

hmmmmmm…this is virtual booing of Feo

what if he reads blogs? no, I have to stop myself from subscribing to this kind of behaviour

we love you Theo, we really do

Eddie

I love Theo and have stated many times he wouldn’t be near the top of my to-sell-list, all I’m saying is that if I was him I’d be on the blower and take the 400k a week or whatever he’d get

He has the star quality

The money for Tevez is so off the scale it seems insane.

Same for Oscar and the other journeymen billionaires going to China.

The Chavs have taken advantage and so should we. If they want ANY of our players we should sell them. If Tevez is 70m, Ozil will be 100m and Sanchez 120m. We can buy 3 or 4 Mustafi’s. 6 Welbecks, or 2 and a half Ozils.

Apparently they offered 300m for Ronaldo who is over 30 y.o !!

Thanks Micky. The trouble is that even if we sell some of our players for silly money, we still wouldn’t be front runners to buy the next up and coming star. It looks like we will have to rely on unearthing hidden gems in the future, the Chinese money just reduces our chances of competing in the TM.

The fans’ lost their influence on football the day gate receipts fell behind advertising and TV money, and it shrinks every day. I can quite understand why some supporters still follow their main team but also choose to go and see the local boys kicking a ball round in the park … it keeps you grounded as a supporter.

Oh, BTW, Happy New Year everyone 🙂 🙂

Lads

I’m not saying what we should or should not do. I’m merely pointing out that this Chinese Market is by far and away the most siesmic shake up of the transfer market we’ve seen.

It will effect Arsenal

I selected Theo for very good reason. It has been said on here in the past how some would sell him, while it’s also been said that the biggest obstacle in doing that were his wages. This is no longer the case.

Rasp

Regarding being front runners to sign top replacements, you may be right, but it’s all a game changer in terms of managing your assets.

Naturally, that will provide a different take on transfer policy, which in turn, should provide opportunities if well managed.

don’t get your knickers in a twist micky. We are just saying…we all love Theo and were shouting ‘Walcott Walcott Walcott sign da fink’ and were delighted when he did. We still love him, but wouldn’t want to have babies with him anymore.

if you really love somebody – set them free

I admire your optimism Micky, but I fail to see how China throwing money at football can strengthen our position – particularly since we are traditionally ‘careful’ when it comes to spending 🙂

Micky. As you say, this is a game changer and a major worry for the future.

The Oil billionaires have competition

that Chinese thing could work in our favour actually. All the overpaid and those earing crazy money can feck off to china and we can have proper footy again!

players cleaning their own boots, travelling on trains with the fans, 5 bob for a ticket, standing stadia, oh wow, wouldn’t that be just owesome??

I think I will go and buy some cheap shit made in china to support their economy

It’s not about optimism, it’s reality.

You can either give up or have a go at making a situation work for you.

I would love to be given a bit of an insight into the economics as to why certain Chinese are wanting to spend such large sums of money. I mean is there a viable business modal in place or is it a rich man’s play thing.

How can they sell TV rights in a Communist country, without that where is the principal income stream?

Does anyone know anything about this?

If Arsenal were sold lock stock a barrel to a Shanghai company and became Arsenal Tigers (well, if Hull don’t want it) would Chas and Ant still travel? Instead of the round trip by train would there be the weekly flight.

Arsenal Tigers are playing Tottenahm Tofu, got to watch that one.

15. chas mobile says:

Thanks, Micky, it is a very interesting development in the economics of world football. For that reason, I’m out.

No, seriously, if we can flog a few under performers and get either some exciting goalscoring prospects or even some ready mades, I’m all for it.

However I’m wondering if the Chinese over inflated transfer fees might drive up the fees elsewhere. In which case, the only way we would be able to afford anyone is by flogging someone to the Chinese first.

Financial Fair Play also takes a big hit if silly money can now be spent without breaking the sustainability criteria.

I wonder if there’s any call for middle-aged, semi-retired exam markers at extortionate rates of pay in China’s expanding economy?

16. chas mobile says:

Can’t find one of Le Coq’s celebration against West Brom. This’ll have to do.

The thing is not all players taking the money are the over 30 types there are a lot of Oscar’s of this world waiting to go, even doing a Year or two at those figures is not just life changing its family/town/village/community changing and that is why many will go. Especially the players who are good not great have earned enough to change their own life and their direct family life but could now be able to change the livelihood of all future generations of nieces, nephews cousins etc.

Whilst everyone sits back and laughs off the players that go they should cast their mind back to Middlesborough signing the likes of Juninho and Ravinelli, Serie A then the most powerful league laughed at the English Retirement League, they don’t laugh now and neither will we.

LB

USA population 300 Million
    China population 1.4 Billion

Many US sports are watched pretty much only by their own, and their stars are very…..oh, I think you get the point

Oh, at last, some vision from Exile. Nice work and true. Thanks 🙂

Ominous last sentence GIE

Haha, Serie A didn’t laugh when it realised it had sold one of the world’s footballing greats in Dennis Bergkamp to the English Retirement League at the same time as Juninho (aged 22) was signed by Middlesbrough.

Hopefully the major changes will take decades.

One has to question whether the players are actually getting paid. Many of the chaps who went to Russia on massive contracts returned when they stopped getting paid after 6 months.

Time will tell but if anyone offers us loads of cash for a player, we have to take it.

The first paragraph in the last post was incomplete so here is an amended version. Please delete that message.

I’m late in chirping in on this but I seriously believe that although money will be the initial drawing card it will be other aspects that determine the longevity of the players stay and the league itself. Such things as – living conditions, social life, traveling to game experiences, quality of the grounds and facilities – that will make or break the league.

Most of the players have one thing in common they possess huge egos that need to be kept polished and are used to being treated as the cats whiskers.

Not to mention the reaction of the WAGS.

My nephew has worked in China for over 5 years and he simply cannot wait for his trips home – he hates the place.

Health is another aspect – the big cities are all prone to have thick layers of smog.

GN5. Good points . Language is also a huge stumbling block.

Hi Raddy thank you for the deletion.

I only wrote what came to mind at that point but education and upbringing of young children would be another huge point.

In my nephew’s case the culture also drives him up the wall, he is a renowned vehicle designer and is there on a 10 year contract (money drew him in) and he has nothing but the best of what is available but he still has an immense dislike for the country.

BR
    I like your style.
    A couple of decades and who gives a monkey’s. 🙂

The other thing that has me worried is the effect of Brexit on the EPL, currently we have the HG rule, every player will have to pass the work permit test. And it’s arguable that a lot of players in the PL wouldn’t pass if it was things like playing for country (Payet for example pre the last season or two wouldn’t have qualified).

So if Freedom of Movement is lost is there a chance we lose some of the players from the league too?

“I seriously believe that although money will be the initial drawing card it will be other aspects that determine the longevity of the players stay and the league itself. Such things as – living conditions, social life, traveling to game experiences, quality of the grounds and facilities.”

Does this refer to Manchester?

They mocked Bergkamp in Italy as he left. I suppose it could be said that the great man was the turning point of the EPL or if that is too high falutin it certainly was the turning point for Arsenal.

I have enjoyed watching the clips of Bergkamp that Chas has posted recently, they made me realise how I had forgotten how great the great man was.

32. TotalArsenal says:

You are on a roll, Micky. I wouldn’t mind losing a fringe player or two to China for hot noodle money, but I reckon it needs to be a mercenary one, of whom we have not too many. Theo is a good shout, though, as he is the most calculating one of the team.

Becoming cash super rich but disappear into oblivion is luckily not what most footballers want. But seeing Oscar leave at such young age was a big shock. Let’s hope it is just a one off.

i’d say it is enough of all that football talk now, what is this blog coming to? It’s like a footballing site or something

Anyway, I am so tired I downloaded some movie, watched a bit and only clicked on something was not right when Adrian Dunbar starting speaking in fluent Italian, hell that was weird

So I think i’d better go to bed. night all

Shocking that there are no footballers in the NY Honours list. Rooney should have goat OBE for services to the theatre

7:15 pm Brian Clough?

Erik
    I’d have thought you’d be dead against honours.
    While I’m all for it, when Prescott became a Lord, I did kind of think the end was nigh for all that

Yep, Cloughie.

Dicko…Great pic.

Only wish we could combine the “don’t mess with us, we’re Arsenal” of that back four with the silkiness of the Mesut, Sanchez, Iwobi and Ox’s of the current era

Micky. It depends upon who wins the stuff. Lord Sugar????

Well, I get Sugar’s obvious character failings 🙂 but I’d back him to make better calls from the red benches than yer Prescotts

Looks like Peace Deal holding out in Syria. Wow, that’s be a superb start to 2017.
    Well played Russia, Turkey and Iran. Fingers tightly crossed.

yes micky fingers tightly crossed. it’s been a difficult year all around, but Syria and Allepo has been simply horrid.

but I don’t understand HOW they could strike a Peace Deal with ISIS? it is not as if they would be prepared to sit round a table and talk. No, it’s not going to last

Eddie
    It’s not with ISIS
    It’s everyone else
    It’s a massive move in the right direction

@7:48 – if I could play footie like Roony I think I would not mind how I look

all are playing today, can win or lose and go partying. Our poor buggers have to go to bed early tonight. I hope they bloody do

Eddie

Is there a traditional Polish New Years’ Eve procedure?

micky – yes, any peace in that region is massive. But with Isis in the equation the region has no hope. Do you know of any details of the deal? BBC did not even mention the fact, OBE to Victoria Beckham is clearly far more important

I believe Erik’s sort have to eat an old sandal as part of the ritual

micky – of course!! We start drinking vodka at about 8pm, usually in a good restaurant/club, , switch over to champagne at midnight and continue with wine after. Lots and lots of fireworks at midnight. Black tie and long dress code before 12pm but no Lang Syne

BBC isn’t the best source of news. UK/USA and their buddies have too much egg on face at the moment.

Let’s leave that, some really positive signs of lives being saved there is very good news. Makes me feel better.

Black tie and long dresses? Wow. Nice.

7.45 Love the body shape of Dermot Gallagher (the ref). Really up for getting in the middle of a ruck 🙂

What about Micky’s NYE?

Beginning very soon Erik. Blasting off in 10 mins. Taking children plus mate and boyfriend for a full day’s go-carting, and I can’t wait!

Such a child, me.

Must go, have a nice day all.

Wish I was going you. Sounds brilliant and I am sure I could beat you given your driving disability

57. TotalArsenal says:

You could not have been more misguided, Micky. That war was almost over and then the Russians got involved and many more thousand perished. They have deep red blood on their chubby hands.

Enjoyed the bass girl. The original bass player in those early Motown records was a chap named Jameson but there was also a woman, Carol Kaye, who played on may of the funky tracks of the 70’s.

My favourite bass player is/was John Entwistle of the Who

mickydidit89 says:

December 31, 2016 at 8:21 am

Well played Russia, Turkey and Iran. Fingers tightly crossed.

……………………………………………………………………………………….

I was shocked to read such utter crap.

Putin and his fellow dictators have just bombed the shit out of ten’s of thousands of innocent Syrian families who had no means of defence and left countless others as homeless/stateless refugees.

And you seriously applaud this act of total barbarism ?

Do you really believe that peace at any cost is justifiable?

Putin will go down in history as one of the Worlds most tyrannical dictators – and his worst is yet to come.

Crap results again today. We have to win tomorrow.

62. Aaron says:

This year epitomizes the difference between the have’s and the have not’s.
    Just need to win them all!

come on guys, I told you so. With Pep, Klopp, Conte and Mourinho what did you expect??
    Because I expected fierce opposition and that is why I was devastated after stupid defeats. Last season is never going to happen again. Leicester capitalized on it, we did not. Criminal in my books.
    I think you are beginning to get my drift, finally

nobody suggested that Russian bombings of Syria were justified. But if anybody says it was just the Russians guilty of killing civilians over there, then the person is probably not worth having a discussion with.
    Russian have the power and prestige that with their input maybe, just maybe peace will be achieved. Europe and America lost that power and prestige long ago, so for us to diss any attempt at peace is wrong

Eddie,

My viewpoint has been expressed and I have no wish to further the point as it will only lead to ill feelings, but Bashar al-Assad is as culpable as Putin in the killing of innocents.

Having lived through WW2 bombing raids on London I can completely emphasise with the innocent families.

I am off for for a night of warm mead, dancing around the campfire, a hasty swim in the frozen ocean and other Viking stuff. Sadly, the virgin sacrifice is no longer legal.

Our contribution is some seal flipper and smoked puffin.

Should be great.

Happy New Year to one and all.

Thanks to all for their hard work, tolerance and perseverance this year 🙂

A very Happy New Year to you all

Ooops. Apols all, no offence meant, merely ANY peace is a good thing, whoever instigates it

Not around long. Don’t like the Utd form one bit

Now to watch some Pool City

No offence taken Micky, I just happen to have very strong views on the subject and as usual I could not keep quiet.

Hope you all have a good 2017.
    Let’s hope it brings more tolerance, understanding and goodwill to the whole world.

Fireworks at the top. Very nice. Cheers Rasp

Guess we want a draw here

I have very strong views the other way round, and equally, new year’s resolution, promise to zip it 🙂

That would be a promise that I couldn’t keep for very long Micky.

🙂 🙂 🙂

GN5 – and I lived for 20 years under the Russian regime. I know what they are capable of, I detest them and their leader Putin. Have you heard of Katyn? But I am capable of accepting that they are not the only culprits in the middle east (look at the countries targeted by ISIS as revenge) and that Russians can force a peace deal if they decide to do so.

Here’s a thing

Took my daughter’s boyfriend out with us today. He’s a gunner, good. His Dad followed Arsenal home and away for 20 years before moving to Devon. Best bit, he was at Anfield ’89 and apparently never stops talking about the best night of his life.

I’ve invited him here for a drink at 9pm. Conversation sorted 🙂

and as for you Raddy – make up your mind, you cannot cultivate an image of a Viking hippy, it doesn’t work! Either you are a Viking or a hippy, can’t be both despite chas producing a photo in less than 1 hour to the contrary. What are you really Raddy?

daughter’s boyfriend?? how old is she??

careful didit. When my son was 16 he met this girl he had fallen in love with. The girl- friend’s mother was/is a Gunner. That was 16 years ago, 2 children and a dog. And the Gunner mother-in-law gave me a fab feijoa today.
    Are you ready to become a granddad?

No I bloody well am not ready, Eddie

He’s 18. She’s 16, and my eyes are peeled and ears pricked. At all times 🙂

Ok, I wish you all a very happy new year

poor girl 🙂

look didit, if not for my 16 year old falling in love with a daughter of a Gunner I wouldn’t be blogging on AA

81. chas mobile says:

New Years in full swing.
    Drugs and sandal-eating to come. 😕l

82. TotalArsenal says:

A happy and healthy New Year to all my friends on AA 🔝⚽️😍

Not feeling too crisp this morning? 🙂

I am bright as a button and have had the full 8. Talk to me, like lovers do

Morning g All,

Oh dear. People warned me about Henrik the Timid’s mead – like a fool I didn’t listen and now my head feels like the inside of a Viola played Fortissimo. All sounds seem to be bouncing around and echoing.

Still it was a fine night apart from the two teenagers who live in the apartment below us having a rave party which is still going on 😦 😦

PM could be a tad late

Eddie. I am a mere socialist hippy but have married into a Viking tribe.

They laugh at me …

Ah, morning gents.
    Nice pick up on the Eurythmics Chas
    Henrik the Timid 🙂

Looking forward to thrashing Palace. Hopefully Watford can ruin Spud’s day and we kick off merrily into the new year

There is a New Post