Are Arsenal better than Chelsea?

Chelsea are on a six match winning streak and looking very impressive. When this fact came up over the weekend amongst my red and white friends the first thing that got mentioned was that not so long ago we soundly beat them 3-0. This is obviously correct but truth be told we never beat the current formation; the winning formula that Conte has managed to find. On the subject of Conte for a moment; there is an interesting comparison going on out there between the Italian who clearly does everything possible to encourage his players and Mourinho who has no qualms about publiclly berating his: fairly obvious which of those two strategies is reaping more reward.

No, we may have beaten Chelsea but we did not beat the current formula; I mean, if we were to beat them next week then that would be a different story; we would and should crow about such a victory from the roof tops.

The title of this post: Are Chelsea better than Arsenal was a thought that sprang into my mind just after they had beaten City; I didn’t watch the game so the result of 1-3 away was all I had to go on before the start of the West Ham – Arsenal game and that score line was scarily impressive.

I continued pondering this while watching Oxlaide-Chamberlain and Monreal wreak havoc down West Ham’s flank and while Monreal may have an excuse for not being able to deliver the killer pass, Oxlaide-Chamberlain doesn’t. Alex was pants and as hard as I tried I could not stop myself from thinking Oxlaide-Chamberlain is no Hazard. The Belgian can use both feet and he has excellent close control. Then there is Walcott. Theo’s close control is so bad that Sanchez and Ozil are playing with a man short which although they are better than anything Chelsea have they cannot do is all on their own. In a nut shell Willian is so much better than Walcott.

It was still nil nil at the Olympic Stadium and I was thinking that over the length of a season those two advantages that Chelsea have will surely make a decisive difference.

I watched Match of the Day later that evening wanting to see how good Chelsea were and to my surprise I quickly realised how lucky they had been to win the way they did. It was not the all conquering performance that I feared. David Luis should have been sent off and Debruyne should have converted the sitter, not to mention the umpteen other golden chances Man City had to put that game out of Chelsea’s reach.

Fabregas was back and he sent one of his trade mark majestic forty yards passes that found Henry who used his body to shield himself from the ineffectual Otamendi before firing home to level the score. The only thing is of course is that it wasn’t Henry it was Costa. Meanwhile Arsenal had gone ahead at the Olympic Stadium with a Sanchez-Ozil combo and the reassuring realisation hit me that Chelsea can only win the title if the Elephant man stays fit for the length of the campaign; it can happen, the last time they won the league they had hardly any injuries as was the same last year with Leicester but these are rarities.

So the balance starts to swing back to the Good Guys because although the loss of Sanchez would be painful we still have Giroud, Welbeck, Perez and even Walcott.

We have a better defence than they do and we have more defensive back up. On that subject didn’t City look pants at the back, very poor? Leicester may have won the league with a lot of luck on the injury front but their defence was rock solid; there is no way that can be said of either City or Chelsea for that matter.

Arsenal, although, having gone one up were not dominating as they should have against a poor West Ham side. Enter Ramsey exit Walcott and hay presto we suddenly took complete control and as you know we ended up thrashing West Ham 1-5.

As to whether Arsenal are better than Chelsea only time will tell, the league does not lie. I know who my money is on.

COYRRG

An LB offering.

80 Responses to Are Arsenal better than Chelsea?

A little something to ponder. Please feel free to add pics.

2. VP of Oz says:

I think you also need to consider Kante influence for Chelsea as was his influence for Leicester winning the league last season.

3. TotalArsenal says:

Wow, masterfully written, LB.

The Chavs have recovered remarkably well from their humiliations by the Dippers and Gunners and are on a roll. But they got away with it on Saturday with a lot of help by the poor referee and De Bruine’s woeful miss. The season has already proven that a good run does not mean much as it’s long-term consistency what really matters.

Are they better than us? No, but, as per our comments last night, we need to get the wing positions to perform better and getting Perez and Welbeck fully firing will be key in my opinion. Ox and Iwobi are good to have in the squad and Theo can be very valuable on the day, but we need more quality/options on the wings and especially Welbeck is likely to make a real difference for us. Let’s hope he will be playing a lot for us during the second half of the season.

4. Red Arnie says:

lovely post, LB. 🙂 I was ruminating on this, organising and reorganising my thoughts, when along came Total’s comment. Good, I can agree to that, generally.

Still unsure, though, on several points? First, how good (or bad) is Perez? Second, so, the idea is that Theo is proving an impediment to Alexis using the space in the around the box more freely. The more I think about this, it seems to me that, if selected, Theo should make a run from the right and leave the centre free. Likewise, Welbeck, when fit and selected, should make runs from the left and leave the centre free for Alexis and Ozil, and maybe Rambo to roam.

Third, what about Everyone’s Favourite Frenchman? Not ideal, but this is less of a problem, in my view, because he stays furthest forward and randomly moves in and out, taking 2 to 3 opposition players with him in the process.

On teh question “Are Arsenal better than Chelsea?” of course we are. We may win the league or not, that may depend on injuries, fatigue, lack of fan support, and so on. But we will never encourage or participate in a shameful brawl that the two Oiler clubs did. Shame shame! At the very least, we have class! 🙂

5. Kobby says:

Please, this is ridiculous. Arsenal’s defense better than chelsea’s? Apart from Koscielny there is no defender in the team that can match Chelsea’s. And the win at city was well deserved because you dont have to play really well to get goals. Counter attacking football is a strategy too and if that’s what going to give the win, you might as well use it.

And what’s that about if Diego Costa isn’t fit, Chelsea are going to struggle? Alexis Sanchez is the only player in that Arsenal team that gets the goals. If the guy gets injured (which honestly is a real possibility considering he’s an Arsenal player) who is going to get the goals in? Giroud? That guy has a better chance of being a model than a world class striker. This article was total rubbish. And FYI Chelsea is far better than Arsenal this season.

6. VP of Oz says:

Yes great post LB, unexpected topic and but very very topical.
    Red, we have class yes but how does pizzagate/battle of the buffet fit into the classifications for alterations?

7. Red Arnie says:

VP. ahem. 🙂

8. Red Arnie says:

that was in the tunnel, out of view of the spectators, so it does not count. 🙂

9. VP of Oz says:

Yes Red, I would agree with you on that. Very valid.

Kobby

I can see that Mustafi hasn’t registered on your side of the city yet……………..he will…………..

11. chas mobile says:

Cheers, LB, interesting.

I’m not sure comparing the Ox and Hazard is fair as I thought Hazard had almost been playing ad the chav’s Ozil this season. Well that’s what it looks like from those infernal pass map diagrams with his average position right up near John Merrick.

I’d also seen a comment about Willian (their best player from last season) not being able to get into Conte’s team because of the formation. No idea if this is true. Willian is perfect when you set up to counter attack away from home, though, so maybe that’s why he played against the camel shaggers.

The chavs are deffo the team to beat at the moment, just as Citeh were in September and the dippers were in October.

12. chas mobile says:

Sideshow Bob and Cahill better than Kostafi. ☺

who is sideshow Bob??

thank you LB for an excellent post, brought a smile to my face 🙂

I don’t watch chavs anymore, cannot stomach the ugly Costa. I have heard they were lucky, but in this life you make your own luck, isn’t it right Rasp?

No idea how we compare player for player, or manager for manager, but in my opinion it is going to boil down to consistency, something we cannot be accused of (post The Invincibles of course).
    Leicester won the league last year by being consistent and chavs won the CL the same way. We on the other hand have a schizophrenic team – Gladiators one game, droopy drawers the next. For that reason, and one ugly Costa my money is on the chavs. Once I won £500 on them, shall it try again?

aha, the nutnut 🙂

chas – I have a song for you, one of my favourites. One of the guys looks like one of out legends. Watch from 27:40, beatiful

Most consistent team over 38 games = league champions.
    Yep, can’t disagree with that.

just listen to the song I dedicated to you 🙂

Are you trying to get me back into religion?
    Mind you, it does look like Thierry singing about Dennis. 🙂

Wow, didn’t know this was Dennis’ full name………..

Dennis Nicolaas Maria Bergkamp

Now that is a beautiful tune. My favourite bit is at 22 seconds.
    Have to stop watching it soon, have to cook some food. 🙂

would have to get myself first into religion 🙂 I love the song though and the guy looks like TH 🙂

plus, you have a religion. The temple is in N5

tomorrow’s game – does it matter if we don’t bother going?

Apparently Alexis is on the plane.

3rd round draw is on Beeb 2 at 7pm.

what the feck for? does he want to see Switzerland or something??

what, like tonight?

Nah, a temple is where you worship, surely, not somewhere you get punished for your sins?

what sins? me is an angel, thought you is too

Lucifer was an angel

34. Red Arnie says:

so was I 🙂

35. chas mobile says:

Preston away – hope we get a big enough allocation for us to get tickets. Never been to Deepdale

Preston?? what’s that?

Love that Italian advert.

The Ox clip truly goes to show that love is in the eye of the beholder because in football terms the end product of his runs down the left flank is dreadful.

He was slightly better when he switched wings with Walcott and then even better when he dropped back a bit deeper, obviously culminating in probably the best goal he has ever scored for the club.

isn’t beauty in the eye of the beholder LB? please don’t let me correct your English ha ha ha

I actually know where is Preston. I knew 3 people from Preston – my ex’s mate and his parents. What tight arsed gits they were!!! All of them came to our wedding, eating and drinking as if they have never seen food before and then they presented us with a beautiful home made card :):)

A couple of years later that son was getting married, I didn’t want to go to the wedding but bought a gift for them – a beautiful potato peeler 🙂 Wrapped it in a big box and gave it to the ex to present it to his mate on the wedding day 🙂 My ex didn’t know what was inside 🙂 I’ve never heard of the mate again 🙂 Ray, that’s it, both father and son were called Ray from Preston.

Home made cards are best

Your ex must have thought the potato peeler trick was hilarious. 🙂

who cares what he thought? not me

What are they, home made footballs?

Interesting question. I’ll be brief, as it’s early, but I do think injuries will be a major factor (as you alluded to re Leicester)

I guess that is part luck, part manager and his rotation. I reckon we have the better squad, but whether Arsene is the better at rotation I’m not sure, we’ll see.

I wondered whether you’d manage to crowbar a Ramsey reference in 🙂

Incidentally, against West Ham, on 69 mins Arsene Wenger decided to take Walcott off. At precisely that moment, Francesco Bottelli fired his 10,000th pizza. Sanchez went on to run riot from that moment 🙂 🙂

Chas

Yikes. Sanchez travels tonight, you say. I am very frightened.

46. chas mobile says:

A Botelli flaps his pizza and a Chilean tsunami occurs on the other side of the world.
    I see where you’re going with this. ☺

Chas

It’s the more realistic interpretation of events. Chaos. Random patterns. Level 1 🙂

Tonight’s game is a classic case of risk assessment.

We could qualify above RSG, and still draw Real or Bayern (not sure the details).

ps love the old footballs. Have thought in the past about going on ebay and buying similar and pair of same age boots. Stick ’em in a glass box.

don’t wonny micky,, they are not flying over cuffley

Hey Eddie, brilliant idea

If we play Bayern or Dortmund in the next round, The Arsenal XI should fly to Germany in a chartered Airship

if we play Bayern lr Dortmund! But we won’t. We will play Barca.

Is Erik alive?

If not, then oh well, but I could churn out a PM

micky – go for it. Much better idea than buying all junk, sticking it in a glass box and then…extra housework for Mrs Didit.

Seriously though – what would happen if we didn’t even turn up for the game? Would they kick us out from the CL? Or would we still finish 2nd in the group?

there you are

why did the seller put the size?? Does he think someone is looking for a pair that would fit him/her?

Eddie

Everyone would prefer a BR PM. Rightly so.

We know the old hippy has been away, so maybe he’s even later out of the blocks than usual. We have time, I have time, we wait.

no better PMs than Big Raddy’s, I know that.
    But you are second best in his absence 🙂

Blimey Eddie. £399. I mentioned on here a few years ago about buying an old ball and some boots. Boots then were about £150!

a deputy 🙂

Stop sucking up

I chose once in good condition and size that would probably be right for you 🙂

don’t buy it. I bought lots of ‘collectables’ in the past, wasted a fortune and hate it now. They make my house look ‘quirky’ according to rasp

Ha ha. Erik’s “Vice” Captain. Now there’s a double entendre 🙂

Size 9. Right for me? Maybe with my toes curled I’d get more power

Let’s give Erik ’till 9:15 to surface
    If no sign, I write, and someone might be around to post at 9:30

BR alive but unable to Write a PM on phone

Superb posts over last few days.

Back in the saddle on Friday

Up the Gunners

Raddy – you forgot the ‘Over’.

67. Red Arnie says:

Motning all.

The more exciting game today is at 3PM. MWG, do better than 2-1 win over Basel away, and the young guns are through to knockout stages, behind PSG. Otherwise Basel takes second spot.

Bollocks. I’ll get cracking 🙂

I will be interrupted by phone calls, but hey, what’s five minutes here or there

69. Red Arnie says:

should be fun guessing what’s coming, and then match it up against expectations around 10AM,

Arnie

Could you explain a bit more what your 9.06 means because I haven’t got a clue what is going on or who has got to beat, lose draw with who?

Thanks

POST SENT

72. Morning, just seen the message about a post …….back in a bit …

73. Thank you micky ……………………

…………………….New Post everyone ………………………….