West Ham 1 Arsenal 5 – Player ratings

Subjective as always and I realise the opposition were very poor on the day, but you can only beat what is in front of you and I had a wonderfully rose-tinted day out in Straford.

hammers1

Cech – Didn’t have a deal to do against a team struggling for confidence. Covered his posts nicely when the Hammers did threaten. Stood and watched when the ball came back off the bar for the West Ham goal  – 8

Gabriel – We really couldn’t work out whether Gabs was severely injured or not. Appeared to have Chazzed his knee at the end of the first half, but, to our amazement,  came out in the second half only to sit down injured again moments later. Seems to be settling in at full back and wasn’t unduly troubled by this season’s Payet. His height is useful at corners, too. The Hammers most dangerous chance did come from their left flank, but compared to the Hammers’ right side of the defence, Gabs’ side was like Fort Knox  – 8

Monreal – Looked excellent going forward, linking with Ozil, Alexis and the Ox – 9

Koscielny (C) – Settling in nicely to the Captain’s role. He drove the team on all game with his flawless example – 9

Mustafi – His instant passing forward is becoming a useful weapon in Arsenal’s armoury. Defended as if his life depended on it as has become customary. Love him – 9

Walcott – Poor Theo must be having a few disturbed nights with his new bab. Barely touched the ball before being subbed. Had one excellent chance but failed to get a shot off quickly enough – 6

Ozil – I just don’t think you understand. Majestic world class, a Rolls Royce of a footballer – 9

Coquelin – Excellent throughout. Really silly getting booked by kicking the ball 50 yards to the advertising hoarding. Wasn’t made to pay by being booked a second time – 8

Oxlade-Chamberlain – Alex looked the player we all know he could be at the London Stadium yesterday. Driving forward at every opportunity, using the ball wisely, involved in the goals and to cap it all scored a peach. More of the same, please, young man – 9

Xhaka – Another settling in, in a most agreeable way. Staying on his feet more in the tackle is helping and his quality on the ball was very evident yesterday – 8

Alexis – If Mesut is a Rolls Royce, Alexis is a Ferrari. His road-holding, acceleration and fancy handling are all qualities from the top echelon of motor vehicles. Three glorious and very different goals capped his MOTM performance. I’m not sure about this short backlift business but more that it’s the speed he gets a shot off which is his strongest feature in front of goal. The dummy and chip for the hattrick were just sublime –10

(Alan Shearer knows almost nothing about football even after playing it for 20 years. I suppose his managerial record is testament to that, in part)

Arsenal's Chilean striker Alexis Sanchez (L) scores his third goal, the team's fifth, during the English Premier League football match between West Ham United and Arsenal at The London Stadium, in east London on December 3, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / Justin TALLIS / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications. /

courtesy Justin Tallis

Sub

Ramsey – I saw a comment on twitter that someone at the game thought we’d be holding on to the 1-0 for the last 25 minutes. I’m not 100% sure that it was Rambo who was the catalyst for the bombardment that followed his arrival on the pitch but he certainly contributed a large amount. Aaron finding some form could go some way to making up for the loss of Santi – 8

Written by chas

53 Responses to West Ham 1 Arsenal 5 – Player ratings

We enjoyed singing “Bubbles” yesterday and even remembered to sing ‘my dreams’ instead of ‘West ‘Am’. 🙂

you cannot single out Feo and give everybody else top marks, that is not fair.

So you think that it was Ramsey who changed the flow of the game? maybe, but something has definitely clicked in the second half

Sanchez is a hard working lad, sometimes he reminds me of Suarez with no teeth. Not only that he scored 3 he made the first goal for Ozil

I think Ox’s goal deserves a mention too, top class.

I am still not convinced by Xhaka, what does he actually do?

As regards the Ox, what part of “scored a peach” did you not read?

I even gave Theo an excuse for playing as shite as he did.
    I can’t be much fairer than that. 🙂

The game just sort of passed the poor lad by.

5. fred1266 says:

Was this Alexis first Hatrick

6. fred1266 says:

Great win by Bourne mouth

7. Oh boy you gotta love football haven’t you, great comeback by Bournemouth:)

Off to read the post

Wow, who would have thought we’d be a point ahead of the dippers at the end of the weekend?

9. Thanks chas for your player ratings, I’m glad you had a fab time.

I agree with all your ratings, it was a game that left a huge smile on the face. I felt so sorry for Gabriel but he soldiered on. Monreal was back to his best and Xakha/Coquelin worked out really well.

I was really pleased for The Ox, he scored a great goal.

We know that no one understands about Mesut but Alexis must be on everyone’s wish list – hope we can tie him down soon.

Lovely job chas, not only at the game, but on the nail with your ratings.

I was having a bit of a wobble when they had some decent chances at 0:1, but should have had faith. We’ve had a bit of L….., of L…. , of L….., no I can’t bring myself to say it 😦 ….. We’ve been ‘fortunate’ to meet quite a few teams this season who have failed to take their chances against us.

Still, my prediction of 2nd at Christmas is not looking so daft now 🙂

Thanks for the read Chas.

I am glad someone else on twitter noticed the sea change in our play that took place once Ramsey came on.

“scored a peach” – sorry, I misunderstood.

14. TotalArsenal says:

Well done Chasser and all agreed re scores, except for the Ox who was great in the second half but mainly poor in the first one. Alexis and Mesut were superb in our attack but for a long time the midwingers did not support them to a level worthy of the Arsenal. The oX stepped it up in the second half and was brilliant at times, but Theo remained away with the new baby fairies. Rambo had indeed an instant impact but it was the brilliance of Alexis goals that really made the difference. Also thought that Koz and Coq were real leaders and bossed their areas throughout the game.

yeah, it had something to do with you:)

16. Good, Man U draw and Fellaini gave away the penalty hahahahaha

17. ………and next weekend they play totts

TA
    As I know you’re a great lover of stats………… 🙂

Here’s the Ox’s performance chart as compared to Alexis’s (courtesy of squawka)

I think from a non-confirmational bias point of view, the Ox is well worth a 9 to Alexis’s 10, surely? 😆

oh gosh, no words necessary. Really?

I am assembling a green house and some child toy garage thingy – no words, no flipping explanations, just pictures. The only thing is missing is a few smileys and I would lose the plot

I let chas and peaches flutter their eyelashes when I watch something serious

20. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, what does ‘performance’ entail here- running? 🙃🌶🌶

21. TotalArsenal says:

If Ollie had not scored that equaliser against Mo United they would have closed the gap with us to three points; a few games on and the gap is ten points… 😀

So, TA, are you saying that Alexis’s performance was better than the Ox’s because he did more running? 😳

23. TotalArsenal says:

Ha, I am saying that the only area of performance the Ox matched Alexis throughout the game in, including the first half, can only be running. I reckon Wenger had a word with Theo and Ox at half time and only the latter improved his game. And that second half performance was very good indeed.

24. TotalArsenal says:

I also reckon that if we had played a fit Perez and Welbeck on the ‘wings’ with Ozil and Alexis in such good form, we could have scored many more in yesterday’s game. As per my discussion with GiE a few days ago, the midwing positions are the final area where improvement is needed. Hopefully this comes from within but I am also happy to see us buy quality in 2017. We are very close to having a phenomenal team.

I didn’t quite understand what you meant about improving the quality of our wings, I am not sure why as it seems glaringly necessary now but with Welbeck and the emergence of Perez that itch should be scratched.

when is Danny back? and that Perez, is he really any good? I didn’t think he earned any brownies points midweek

It certainly was about Sanchez’ goals but Ramsey created the environment for that to happen; it was his ability on the ball; his ball retention and distribution that made the difference of having eleven men rather than ten.

And the reason I say that because is because Walcott was so ineffectual that Oxil and Sanchez were playing with a man short in attack or putting it another way playing with one leg tied.

Add Ramsey to the mix and although he didn’t do that much himself what he did do was enable Ozil, Sanchez and OC to start playing with the a full team and hay presto, Sanchez scores two more goals and Oxlaide-Chamberlain scores the best goal he has ever scored for the club.

And that is what Ramsey brought to the table — Cazorla probably could have done the same, maybe even better.

Now the question is does Wenger have the cojones to drop Walcott.

I realise I might have to put this more simply.

Ozil and Sanchez try not to pass the ball to Walcott unless there is an opportunity to run on goal of course but that is rare; they try to avoid passing to him because they know he does not have the skill set to be able to pass the ball back to them. Nine times out of ten he fumbles it and we lose possession. Contrast that with Ramsey who when they pass it it him they can move into space knowing that nine times out of ten they will get it back and they can then work their magic; which, in Sanchez’ case yesterday was to score two more goals.

That is why Ramsey was so influential, he also gets into goal scoring position in the box which Cazorla does not do.

Well, not as much, better say that before the Cazorla police arrest me.

We were so lucky with Mustafi, it is so rare that a player hits the ground running in the way he has; I mean. it is so impressive that we have not lost a game since he joined the club. (With him playing)

Xhaka is more the norm, he is slowly finding his feet, although, he was finding them yesterday some will have noticed –Yellow Cards? None. That man has not just been sitting on the naughty step he has been spoken to my AW. He put is a very different performance a far more calm controlled one and one that I am sure we will see more of.

Now we get to Perez; he is an attacker and they always take the longest time to find their feet. This applies to all the big names: Bergkamp, Henry, Pires I could go on, although of course if Perez turns out to be half as good as anyone of those I am sure we will be happy, equally there have been some duds. I think people are holding judgement and so they should, he is a very talented player and could still turn out to be the signing of the season.

Welbeck is back in training but Wenger said it would be at least 4 weeks before he could even be considered for the first team.

30. TotalArsenal says:

LB, I meant improvement on Theo, Ox, Iwobi, and yes Perez and Welbeck are likely to be the answer, but the former still has to come good (understandably) and the latter is so injury prone that adding to the squad might still be required.

Yes, I can see that TA, I suspect you feel the same as me that all new signings are welcome there is no way Wenger is going to bring in reinforcements ahead of them until they have been give a fair crack at the whip, especially Welbeck and Perez.

32. TotalArsenal says:

All agreed re Ramsey’s game changing contributions. Ox’s winner against the Chavs which gave Wenger a rare victory over The self adoring one, was also pretty good 😊

33. TotalArsenal says:

Of course you are right. Just imagine we are playing Barcelona, Bayern or BM in the CL in March with:

Cech
    Bel Mus Koz Nacho
    Coq/Xhaka – Rambo/Santi
    Welbeck – Ozil – Perez
    ——- AlexisixelA——-

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lovely afternoon of football yesterday, lovely turn of results today.

Would I have predicted being second come Monday morning? Not a chance…..but glad we are.

Just feels like Chavs have the advantage due to no European commitments gicing them plenty of recovery time between matches and the ability to field pretty much the same 11 week in week out.

We have at least two strong contenders for goal of the season and we are not even out of December, personally I prefer Alexis cheeky dummy to Ozil’s hypnosis in Ludogrets just because of the combination of look away step over and another look away for good measure.

Like others I see Theo’s contribution as limited, it stood out in last weeks game where on more than one occasion he rushed a pass to nowhere because he hasn’t got the composure. LBs comment about him only being given the ball when in those goal scoring runs he makes is spot on. He doesn’t really offer anything in build up and still in my mind is the player most likely to sit on the bench, especially if Ox can continue his current form.

I thought he was also good in the first half yesterday, created a lot of space for Nacho to manoeuvre in by intelligent movement.

Word of praise to Gabriel yesterday who showed good heart to stay on and run off the i knocks and bumps. But it’s his ability to play within his limitations whilst being played out of position I most like. We all know he isn’t an attacking right back, and he knows it too, by holding back it allows us to keep a better shape and releases Nacho in the left, this was also helped by Xhaka and Coq showing good discipline in middle of the park.

36. Red Arnie says:

thanks, Chas. lovely post and discussion. 🙂

what can one say about the results today! 🙂 🙂 🙂

P.I.M.P – I have no doubt that more people would follow footy if this scenario was a regular occurrence, not once in a blue moon

Let’s hope the second 100 are just as good.

Fantastic Chas
    Sorry wasn’t around, indeeedy, I’m behind today already
    Might be around Nottingham late this week. Who knows.
    You’re right not to be hard on Theo. Even Mesut has off days.
    Thanks v much

great kitten vid

but chas, it really screws up speed of my laptop. How can I stop it????

have to log off, bye