Arsenal out, should we care?

We all know the drill here: if we win at this stage of the competition we all talk about how good it will be for the youngsters to have a day out at Wembley and all that and if we lose, as we did, then we remind ourselves that we really have bigger fish to fry. I’ll start heating the frying pan then……………

Southampton were the better team or at least that is how it appeared on my blurry stream and they scored two very well taken goals; that, in a nut shell, is the match report. What we got from the game; or, at least, what we got from my perspective, was that we got to see a bit more of Sanchez’ understudy: Perez; we got to see a bit more of Ozil’s understudy: Ramsey and we got to see Theo’s understudy: Oxlade-Chamberlain and my conclusion is heaven help us if our starting front line suffers a flu epidemic, cus we ain’t gonna be scorin a whole lotta goals.

The same is true with the defence really in the sense that we saw the understudies for the whole of the first choice back line and that includes Jenkinson for Bellerin. There was a lot of talk about Jenks being dropped last Sunday due to his performance against PSG, I don’t agree with that, I think it was a clear attempt to get Debuchy back and ready for the January transfer window; this is not financially motivated by the club, this is Arsene trying to help a senior player find a way to finish his career; Wenger did the same with Rosicky last season and unfortunately the same thing happened: Super Tom sustained an injury on his first outing. The difference between the two is that Debuchy has two more years left on his contract so we could see him again: we do of course need back up for the currently injured Bellerin and we might again in the future.

No, Jenkinson wasn’t dropped on Sunday in the same way as he wasn’t subbed for a poor performance last evening; he was subbed because right now he is very valuable to the first team. Maitland-Niles (Cons) replaced him but it was hard to get an understanding of just how good he is although there was one very impressive 40 yard diagonal pass that he let go with pin point accuracy. This seems like the classic Arsene three layer position: First team player: Bellerin; experienced back up: Jenkinson and youthful up and comer: Maitland-Niles (Cons).

mickym

Back to the attack: I still have high hopes for Perez; I know that people’s view has dipped from the initial expectation but in my view it was the initial expectation that was wrong; a classic a case of watching the YouTube clips and expecting far more than was ever realistic so in his first game when Lionel Messi didn’t appear everyone let out a big sigh of disappointment. We should remember that we were all crying out for someone who can play with Ozil and Sanchez; that’s to say someone who can combine with them on the floor rather than Giroud who adds aerial umpff. I still think this could happen, in my view we have not seen what Perez can do at all.

Ramsey was Ramsey last night he had the rare opportunity to play his favoured position, the Özil role if you like; the one he played so well in the World Cup, the thing that people like me have recently been forgetting is that probably one of the reasons that Ramsey shone so brightly in that competition was that he was playing with Bale ahead of him and my hopes for Perez may be high but they are not that high. All in all it was a bit wishy washy from Aaron.

And on the subject of wishy washy, no not Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Iwobi: not enough goal threat at all, the boy has plateaued and needs to find a way to kick on.

Elneny was fine, taken off for what I hope were precautionary measures rather than something serious and was replaced by Xhaka who started showing some glimpses of the commanding role he was obviously brought in to play.

Reine-Adalaide was a disappointment, in the sense that one of the silver linings from this kind of game is that we usually get a glimpse of something special from one of the real youngsters, well not last night. I am starting to get a bit dower as I am prone to do when we lose so I am going to stop here and leave the last word to Micky.

“If we were being really brutally honest with ourselves, we’d admit it’s a poxy tournament anyway”

An LB offering.

112 Responses to Arsenal out, should we care?

I’m going back to bed, can someone add some pics?

Top stuff LB.

A team of 10 changes is always difficult to judge especially when there is a mix of first team/squad and youth, they simply don’t play enough together to be able to have any understanding.

I know we all hope that hours spent on the training ground should help. But do we really expect that? Only if we are prepared to sacrifice other games.

Can we judge the players on last nights performance? Again very difficult, slot Gabriel or Holding alongside Kos or Mustafi, Nacho and Hector and in front of Cech you would expect a very different looking performance. The same goes everywhere on the pitch. To judge the individual performances you have to look and see if that one player is doing the right thing looking for the right passes and making the right runs, if his teammates struggle then that’s not his fault.

Anyone who has ever watched a trial match will know that sometimes the player who dominates most isn’t the one who was selected.

For example in my youth I was involved in selection matches for Borough sides, in the trial match I played in my team won 5-1, the striker of our opponents was selected as was I. My team’s centre forward who got 4 goals wasn’t. Why? Well my centre back was Michael Duberry (who was already in Chelsea youth ranks), I was in Brentford’s youth ranks. But the striker we played against had a tough day but he made lots of good runs and when he did get chances generally hit the target, compared to our centre forward who scored 4 of about twenty chances.

Arsene’s job last night was to work out who are his most reliable squad players when/if injuries hit. That we lost doesn’t mean our squad is lacking, it just means they are unfamiliar with each other, and at different levels of usefulness.

Thanks, LB.
    Superb effort from you for such a disappointing result.
    I must admit I didn’t watch the 2nd half.

We’d have got a 2 legger against the dippers or mancs anyway.

Let’s hope the first team watched this match and learnt a few things for Saturday.

Sterling effort LB.
    Tricky circs. what with the fuzzy screen and whatnot, so very much appreciated.

I think Exile nailed it. Many of the players on display last night are considerably better than the team performance would suggest.

Good luck to Southampton. I hope they go on to win it.

“see ya”
    Sums it up. Nice pic selection there Chas 🙂

8. Bleeding gums Murphy says:

Ramsey played well in the euros for a poor Wales team (their centre forward didn’t even have a club) against a some poor teams like Russia and Slovakia. Wales sit back and try to counter with Ramsey having space to run into . We don’t play like Wales and so require technically gifted players coupled with speed of thought and awareness. Unfortunately Ramsey is very limited with both.

Bleeding,

Another thing about the Euros is the standard of football is very low, and a large part of that reason was highlighted last night. Teamwork.

Wales lost to England kinda says it all

I very much doubt the winners, Portugal, would get anywhere near a top six PL side

top report, you have done well LB and soothed my sore interior. Funny how most of regulars here (5) wanted a win and after we lost they don’t care. And I, who didn’t care about the result was hurt to see such shitty performance.

you are right, should not judge individuals in a game like that. Together they were shit, but individually they are probably better than that. Or so I hope.

interesting point about Wenger trying to shift some ‘dead wood’ and whoops, they pick up an injury and have to stay on our payroll for another season. Bad luck? Maybe

Bleeding – do you smoke? that’s really bad for your gums.
    Russia and Slovakia are not very poor teams.

Earliest post ever on AA?

Great pic Chas. Now to read the thing.

congrats for Gareth Southgate, I wish him luck.

This means that my theory of Wenger becoming the next English boss is crap. No surprise there. We are stuck with Arsene for 4 more years? oh dear

LB. Another fine read. Summed it up in the first para.

I wanted us to win – fervently. Any game at Wembley is special and we have the team to win silverware.

I disagree about Jenkinson, though not your thoughts on Boosh. I thought he had a stinker last night. Passes going astray, missed tackles and more importantly absent from defence for bot goals.

I like the chap – who wouldn’t – but effort and desire are not enough when the talent is lacking.

If Maitand-Niles (Cons) is the best we have after Bellerin then RB is an area we need to look at in the January TW.

Spotted this gem of a comment on the Guardian website…

“If Theo Walcott [Monday’s Quote of the Day] doesn’t get to 10 goals by Christmas and receive a coffee machine from his wife, I’ll happily donate mine to him. I bought it for a lot of money about 10 years ago, despite it being an unknown brand. It’s really fast, but it breaks down pretty much every month and the end product is rather weak and often disappointing. I’ve tried to banish it to the right-hand side of my kitchen counter top to get it out of my way, but it always seems to end up sliding back into the centre. I’m convinced it has delusions of grandeur and thinks it’s a cooker or something”

Top ‘makingthemostism’ LB 🙂

I guess we should remind ourselves that 50,00 or so Arsenal supporters braved the cold to see that poor display yesterday, so much as I agree there are definite benefits from going out of what is a non competition, I do feel we let ourselves down.

More worrying is the thought of a Jenks in last night’s form having to deal with Payet at the weekend 😦

17. StewD0G says:

What an embarrassing performance that was last night. Wenger should be ashamed of himself for not being able to motivated. Atmosphere was awful again. No surprise there. Ramsey is absolutely toilet and Jenkinson is a pub player at best. 8.5million pounds a year to sit on your hands and do nothing. Luckiest man alive.

Love the pic, thanks.

Right, so moving on from last night.

Hi BR

My eldest son is in Copenhagen this weekend; he is 21 and an architecture student what would you say are the top two touristy things to do and is there a street he should head too, to eat?

The last time I was in Copenhagen was when we lost to Galatasaray I remember taking a tourist boat round the harbour and having Turks run their hands across their throats in a threatening way. I liked the boat ride but the Turks not so much.

LB. I am in London this w/e otherwise I would have met your son and introduced him to the city.

Touristy? Tivoli Gardens. Canal tour. Nyhavn (also good for lunch). Architecture? Sort Diamanten (the Royal Library) is great as is the new section of Statens Museet for Kunst (National Art Gallery). If he is into art as well as architecture a visit to Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek is a must.

All are within walking distance of the centre of town.

Eating? There are lots of wonderful hip new restaurants. Tell him to go to Visit Copenhagen website. He will need to book as they get busy.

Cph is much safer now 😀

21. FoxintheBox says:

Great post, really enjoyed reading it!

Please check out my new blog at foxintheboxweb.wordpress.com

I am very new to this and have just written my first ever post!

22. chas mobile says:

23. chas mobile says:

Thanks BR

12:52

That’s going to cheer anyone up 🙂

26. TotalArsenal says:

Did not see the game and doubt I will be tempted to still do so. I am with Rasp that the performance was unworthy of those who attended the match. Furthermore, even though I don’t give a shite that we did not make it to the next round, not many of our shadow Gunners will have left the field feeling good about themselves, which never helps. The destination did not matter but the journey should have been a lot more pleasant for players and supporters. Where have the days gone when Arsene would select a hungry bunch of youngster eager to tear apart their opponents whilst playing the Arsenal way?? By all accounts, last night Arsene sent out a team with little hunger and sense of urgency, and that is not good enough. Those who were left to watch the game with their feet up went to sleep with not a worry on their minds: they will all be playing on Saturday again.

Chas, love the Bellerin dog picture: what a beauty! 🙂

I thought Lucas played with verve and direction as did Holding

I checked Iwobi – he has been at Arsenal for 12 years!! And he is only 20. I think LB is right that he doesn’t seem to be progressing, not fast anyway. Footballers’ careers are short and unless they hurry up as teenagers they may miss the boat.

If Iwobi goes on loan next season we know he is probably not very good. Or will Wenger keep him to prove that the academy works, ie produces sublime talents?

Total
    Very true about first teamers not having to worry about their starting berths, which is not healthy.

Eddie
    I think Iwobi and Holding would be the only players from last night I wouldn’t sell in jan 🙂
    (or send on loan to Kuffley FC for 10 years)

Historic town of Cuffley darling, Cuffley.

Elnany? Jenks?

Hmmm, I disagree with a few things up there. I didn’t say that the team last night lacked hunger because in my opinion they didn’t. In fact I can’t think of a player who wasn’t tearing around trying to impress in the hope of making into the first team or back into the first team.

Iwobi didn’t lack effort he lacked a killer instinct, a goal would do him the world of good.

Ramsey played his heart out as did Perez but these players are not used to playing together competitively so unsurprisingly they weren’t as good as the tried and tested Southampton first team regulars.

Perhaps the only one who let himself down was Reine-Adalaide. The only time we got a good look at him was two season’s ago in the pre-season friendlies and he was very impressive far more impressive than Iwobi and all the smart money was on him being the next to break into the first team, it obviously didn’t work out that way but I certainly expected more from him last night.

The other thing that I don’t think is right is the idea that there is little pressure on the first team regulars. Ozil and Sanchez are obviously not included in that suggestion.

There is Perez who is breathing down the neck of both Walcott and Giroud. The Ox is in a battle with Iwobi, errrr, I’ve got this, I’ve got this, there is Gibbs for Monreal. There is Jenkinson playing for the hope of just being able to stay at Arsenal. There are all sorts of battles going on for midfield starting berths between Ramsey, Xhaka, Elneny, Cazorla and Coquelin.

I got there in the end, so I would say there is plenty of competition for first team places.

What is this, lets get all our bad news out in one single day.

Cazorla to have surgery so officially he is out for three months.

Which unofficially means he is out for the rest of the season.

Now that is damn bad news.

And some good news, Welbeck is back in training and could feature over the Christmas period.

Am I the only one who doesn’t know this or something, people are acting as though there are other things in their lives apart from Arsenal.

Helloooooooo people 🙂

Ok LB, Santi out, sale of spares cancelled 🙂

Ah ha, got a solution, buy Cavani

36. TotalArsenal says:

I dont think anybody will feel good when we only manage a shot on target every 23 minutes whilst having 63% possession. No goals, no assist, two conceded (from five shots on target), does not make nice reading. I listened to the Arsenal radio coverage for the first 45 minutes and I did not get the feeling that the team were putting in a performance; maybe the second half was much better?

Cech, Bellerin, Kos, Mustafi, Nacho, Ozil, Sanchez and Theo are sure starters when fit. Giroud has become our super sub, it seems. Agreed there is competition for the central midfield positions and Wenger has yet to pick his favourite two, if he even is looking for this; he may prefer changing the DM combo from game to game. I see Perez as an option for Alexis’ role and for the left wing, where indeed Iwobi is struggling a little bit at the moment (as to be expected); and I can see Theo having to compete with Welbeck for the other wing position, once he is fully fit. But the rest do not have to worry too much about being knocked off their position..

Football boots, my arse.

Just read Total’s comment
    Sale back on

I can’t remember ever seeing Welbeck play on the right, the centre, yes, of course, and often on the left, for us and England so that being the case I can’t see why he would be a rival to Walcott. Perhaps I am missing something?

As to last night, I don’t think anyone feels good about it but that doesn’t mean that they didn’t try or show hunger which, true, some did more than others but they all clearly wanted to win as that is one of the few opportunities that some of them will get to play competitive football.

Southampton played most of their A team who were used to playing together and we fielded a group of strangers — is anyone really surprised bu the result?

LB
    Chas and I struggled, in vain, to work out how strong a Saints team it was and no-one knew.

I’d never expect our 2nd XI to beat their First XI, largely for the reason you give ie understanding.

I dodged the 2nd half and watched The Missing with my Daughter, on top of the fact I couldn’t work out from the visuals who was who during the first half anyway.

Fact remains, I’d always flog loads and buy very expensive superstars in any window, League Cup or no League Cup 🙂

Someone on twitter said that Soton made 8 changes.
    I still can’t be arsed to find out if that’s true!

I expect Welbeck to play left and Sanchez central with Iwobi dropping to the bench.

A forward line of Welz, Sanchez and Walcott screams goals aplenty

44. TotalArsenal says:

Fair enough, LB

Welbeck, like Theo, can play, and has played, in all three positions up front. That is also what Wenger wants to see: interchanging of positions and players being effective all over the pitch. I agree Welbeck is more effective on the left and Theo on the right, but they can both play on ‘the other side’. For the two wing positions we have in order of quality: Alexis, Welbeck, Theo, Perez, Iwobi and Ox. It looks like Alexis has now been moved central and will only occasionally play on the wing (when Ollie comes on), and Perez looks like Alexis’ back up if and when Wenger wants to play the same system of attack. So that leaves us with Welbeck, Theo, Iwobi and Ox as the main contenders for the wing positions…. They are all ok/promising but none is the bee’s knees…as yet. And yes if we were to spend any money, I would love us to buy another quality mid-winger.

Happy to accept your perception that the players were keen and gave a lot.

45. TotalArsenal says:

Hey Raddy,

Draxler would be great and would fit in well with Ozil and Mustafi, and the BFG (and perhaps Joachim Low next year) making him feel at home. I have a feeling though that he prefers to stay in Germany.

Maybe Wenger will return to Leicester for Mahrez, and there is that little Frenchman at the Hammers who could be tempted to play at THOF

46. TotalArsenal says:

Just watched that Gabriel video… top man.

Gabriel: Very moving and a valuable message, Carpe Diem.

I heard that the Totnum striker with the slack jaw just signed a newbie on £80k/wk

Doesn’t seem very much in this day and age

How much is Ollie on? I’m simply curious about the wages, not making a player comparison

Erik
    Liked the cartoons

40 years ago today

£80k a week?? how the hell can he afford a mansion in Cuffley??

poor Brazilians. so many young lives lost

Micky. The Anarchy one is great

oh fecketty feck. Santi is 32 in 2 weeks time, which means that he well probably not play for us again. Bollix

And there’s the biggest issue in football Eddie but for now buy for future?

Someone mentioned Payet earlier…..29….too old for anything other than back up to first teamed at THOF. And then when playing backup means less pitch time means less match sharpness.

Mahrez on the other hand 25 but ACN will mean potentially losing him every couple of winters, Draxler I’m sure is a signing we could all get behind,

But i really think we should all get away from this idea that our squad is not good enough.

How many competitor teams backups do we want at THOF playing back up for us or do we think are better than what we have in first team making our current first choice the backup?

GK Begovic, Mignolet, Lopez, Vorm, Romero,
    DF Ivanovic, Alonso, Zouma, Terry, Klavan, Randall, Moreno, Alexander-Arnold, Grujic, Woodburn, Ejaria, Stewart, Fazio, Trippier, Wimmer, Davies, Borthwick-Jackson, Jones,
    MF Cesc, Loftus-Cheek, Mikel, Chalobah, Kevin Nkoudou, Carroll, Wanyama, Sissoko, Bentaleb, Schweinstiger, Young, Pereira, Fosu-Mensah,
    STR Batshuayi, Solanke, Jansen, Keane, Memphis,

That’s United, Chavs, Liverpool and Spuds covered

Now City arguably the one team who should suffer an embarrassment of riches.
    GK Caballero, Gunn
    DF Adarabioyo, Clichy, Sagna
    MF Delph, Navas, Toure, Sane, Serrano, Diaz
    ST Iheanacho

So then there’s the rest the likes of Mahrez, Payet etc, how much do you think it costs to convince a player good enough to play week in week out in the PL for a mudtable side to come and sit on the bench at a top club? Ask Man City fans whether Sinclair, Delph and others were worth their pay check. And at the end of the day Clichy and Sagan went to City for more money in their back pocket. Money that we couldn’t or wouldn’t pay.

Eddie

His contract finishes at the end of next season so we should see him again but the chances of seeing him again this season seem very slim.

57. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, good piece of research. I don’t tend to look at what others have but rather focus on what we have. Theo and Iwobi are good but not great and Ox has his moments but remains a work in progress. Welbeck has injury issues and lets hope he will still come good. If there is one area I would like us to strengthen, its on the wings. Agreed though that the squad is good.

God I’m tired. Today is going to be a real struggle. A slider would have really helped 🙂

61. Red Arnie says:

LB. That is one of the most brilliant and critical dissections of the good guys I have ever seen. Thank you. 🙂

Generally in agreement, but three points of difference. Rob Holding, Very impressed. Iwobi. Impressed. Even if he may not have a great day, he can go on running and trying hard all day. Perez, No. Disappointed. Even more disappointed that we did not get to see Mavididi,

But the biggest disappointment of all is that we lose the chance to see the young boys again this season, unless of course they progress in the U-19 CL, which looks unlikely at the moment,

62. Red Arnie says:

motning all. sorry for the early morning footie talk, but had to get that off my chest, 🙂

Haven’t seen a slider for a few weeks. Even another animal would lighten the load.

Sorry Eddie, funny but no sliders 😦

well I am very sorry!! I’ll try harder

nope, can’t do it. There are 100s of compilations, but not many funny single moments. Only chas can extract from a compilation.

Strange thing is how many people view that shit. Over 1mil hits for most of rubbish ‘sliding cat compilation’. Over 1m!!! How many hits does this blog get per year?

Surely this is better than a clumsy animal vid?

real, proper sliders. A very scary film

Now that is scary!

Eddie re hits

Chas’ best ever cat in box vid v best comment ever posted on here?

Don’t make me choose, it wouldn’t look good 🙂

go for it, see if I care

71. Top stuff LB

I still wanted victory my friend. I know its the competition that Totnumb fantasise about but I have this insatiable need for validation

As soon as I find an Ex no longer has feelings for me I malevolently attempt to rekindle and once done, walk away feeling great. Its the same if I’m in a cake shop and though I have just feasted on a glutinous six course meal for one, if I spot a fat kid making a move for the last donut, I procure the purchase and eat the thing in front of him

I suppose then that my ideal day would be playing with someones feelings whilst eating a donut,

72. chas mobile says:

Not a slider, but bloody good 🙂

74. Red Arnie says:

what a pity, Micky, you showed no appreciation for teh sliders I posted this morning! 🙂

Paul macartney looks ok. That ejeet Mick Jagger with baby no 8 looks like the oldest man in China. Mind you he always looked old, but now

we win tomorrow, chavs lose, we score at least 4 more than we concede and we could go top. Oh no, city would have to lose too. They are playing chavs though…shit. We can’t go top.

Tools down. Week over. Indian take away. Nice. Very nice. What shall I order?

Apols. Arnie
    It’s not the sitar noise that gives me a headache, it’s the thought of the musicology behind the hideously complicated machine.

fish and chips you tool, it’s Friday

DidIt’s non-denominational.
    Fish is only for us guilty types. 🙂

so are you! remember, you spent half a game convincing me there is no God. no wonder we lost, showing no faith when in need

I don’t believe in god, but I’m still Cafflik.
    It’s far too ingrained for me not to be.

don’t bloody say it as if it was a bad thing. I was born a Cafflik too and am sort of glad.

If I was Muslim I would have to do Ramadan and wear the face thingy. If I was born Jewish I couldn’t eat pork and prawns, both delicious. If I was born Hidnu I would think sitars make good music. No, Caffliks have it best of all. And if you badly feck up, you go to confesion, sorted.

Nah, I wish my parents had been atheist.

Well hellooooo Bridget

Damn. Brigitte. Bad start.

A vegetarian cafe is refusing to accept the new £5 note after it emerged the currency contains animal products

they don’t have to eat it for crying out loud

Chas
    I thank you for the links, but I read a bit and then see other bits of interest in the margins and struggle to find my way back here.

I’ve already spotted out next transfer swoop as well as next manager!

micky – first bit on margin was about Jesus and his transfer to Heaven

you should try to concentrate and read on. I hope it is just media poo – having to shelter a player from own fans!! Now, can’t be true. Maybe Wenger has realised that Jenks is not that good and decided to bench him, or maybe he will play tonight

Eddie

I suppose they’d be accused of being hypocrites if they did accept them.

Kinda like one of my sisters in law. She spends half the year in Borneo type places. We were staying with her over half term, and she was (rightly) banging on about palm oil and the effect in wiping out monkeys.

She then served foie gras. Consistency is the key 🙂

“Maybe Wenger has realised that Jenks is not that good and decided to bench him”

I think that’s where my money would go 🙂

Trouble with Gabs at RB is we lack attackness

3 at the back is the obvious solution 🙂

I cannot see inconsistency there – she cares about monkeys, not geese!! Monkeys are like distant relatives, geese are not.

I really, really, really don’t want to bang on about it, but I have to tell my friends this – it has been reported on polish TV that the polish embassy in UK receives several phone calls a day reporting racist abuse on yet another Polak. I didn’t even phone them. It has been suggested that poles are the new blacks, the racists switched their focus. I feel very, very uncomfortable…

8:44 funny 🙂
    8:50 sad 😦

Ok, I’m out for the day. Back for game.

Eddie – your 8.50 is pretty scary.

I have a pre-match for you all from WestHamBob, shall I put it up now ………..

98. Gonna do it any way ……………… New Post everyone …..