The Case of the Disappearing Full Back.

I can’t speak for you but these are impoverished times for the Raddy family. Times are hard and despite taking Raddy Junior out of Eton and selling Mrs Raddy’s minks we struggle to maintain Raddy Towers. So how is it that Arsenal can afford to throw away cash on a blighter like Debuchy?

Where is he? Is he training with Arsenal? Is he working in the marketing department or helping Mr. Gazidiz buy his Xmas gifts? No, he is on loan at Bordeaux in lovely  France.

images-1.jpeg

We paid £12m for the chap,  we got 12 games out of him! Arsenal have paid the man’s wages for two years and no doubt we pay a percentage of his stipend at Bordeaux. Given that his wages are stand at £70k a week, his cost to AFC, so far, is almost 20 million of Her Majesty’s finest. That is over £1.5m a game!!

Madness.

One cannot blame Debuchy. It wasn’t his fault that he succumbed to a series of injuries at AFC (thigh, ankle, shoulder, hamstring and groin) nor was it his fault that Bellerin so brilliantly took his place in the side. No, the responsibility lies with whomever signed an injury-prone 29 y.o.and paid him so much money.

Arsenal offered him to all and sundry in the summer break but no-one would buy an understandably unhappy Debuchy because his wages make him unsellable, so we loaned him out. Again, why?

I know Corporal Jenks is a Gooner and gives everything to the cause but he is not as good a RB as Debuchy, so the only reason the Frenchman is on loan is because he was so unhappy at Arsenal – the team who over-pay his wages – that he was gifted to Bordeaux thanks to the “rotten apple” effect.

I realise it is difficult to know whether a player will bring value to a team (just look at MU’s recent buys 😄) and Arsenal’s record is above average but this was one they got horribly wrong.

written by Big Raddy

100 Responses to The Case of the Disappearing Full Back.

Thanks Erik

I think, as you say, it’s just one of those things that has gone wrong.

He did appear a very good buy at the time, and we just need to hope he gets fit, then either he’s an excellent, albeit expensive, back up to Bell or the club bite the bullet, flog him, and recoup whatever they can.

Just googled, and he’s under contract until June ’19. Yikes.

I’ve never heard of him

Where is Michu? Or Su Young? Or Park? I doubt they even exist

3. VP of Oz says:

My first thoughts was that Arsenal will get something in return from Bordeaux in terms of players. I googled who we have purchased din the past from Bordeaux and so far I have seen Marouane Chamakh and Sylvain Wiltord, so looks like there is form there.
    Micky, I live in Melbourne, the self-proclaimed sporting capital of the world and consecutive consecutive winner of worlds most liveable city. Highly recommended place to visit.

Who is Michu even supposed to be, Eddie? I mean, regarding Arsenal.

VP
    Are you native Oz or ex pat from somewhere, and, has your wife finished the painting yet? 🙂

£20 mil is a lot of money, perhaps not for a giant like the AFC, but still – a fortune.

But if Debs turned out as fit as a fiddle world class CB, we’d think that £20mil was a bargain. On the whole it’s probably worth chasing bargains, if only to get a gem like Mustafi

VP – i love Melbourne, the only place I would love to live other than Cuffley

Michu? No idea. Miyachi or something like that, was a player from Japan, allegedly

“allegedly”..brilliant 🙂

Do we need to google Cuffley?
    Does it have ocean views and a great climate?

9. VP of Oz says:

micky, I’m Melbourne born from Croatian parents, same as my wife who finished the painting and then went on to wash the kitchen walls. She does not know how to stop until sleep. I have nightmares over the past years where I have painted the house so many times but now I prefer to watch.
    Unfortunately I’ve only watched Arsenal play live once even though I have followed them for over 40 years. But it was a great game, the 2005 FA Cup final win against Manure at Cardiff. A star-studded team on both sides of the park.

VP
    Any particular reason for supporting Arsenal (not that you need one)

I’ve just googled Cuffley ☺ yep, the photos reveal it all, I struggle to add anything to it

VP. I was at that game.

Not been to Melbourne but will visit on my next trip to Oz. Is there a Melbourne Arsenal Fan Club?

Micky – check national colours of Croatia

HA HA HA, I’ve been had. Google says:

Cuffley is a village in the Welwyn Hatfield district of south-east Hertfordshire located between Cheshunt and Potters Bar

Eddie
    Red, white and blue

16. VP of Oz says:

I supported Arsenal because my older brother did at the time. Later he lost interest and couldn’t remember that he ever did support them. But I carried on, especially as my group of “soccer” playing friends had all picked different EPL sides to support and I was the Arsenal supporter amongst them. I had it hard as I was made fun of often, over boring boring arsenal and 1 nil to the arsenal. Which is why I love Wenger so much (sorry Eddie), those terms about boring and 1 nil are not commonly known amongst new generation of supporters and don’t hold true anymore, (now its but “you’ve never won the CL” and “no title in the last x years” etc.).
    I now need to google Cuffley

17. VP of Oz says:

BR, I remember the FA Cup as the worst game I saw Arsenal play that season however every time we played brilliantly against Manure during the season we had lost. My theory was that Wenger played ugly to win. So it was a great feeling winning the first FA Cup that had gone to penalties. bittersweet
    I’m not aware of any Melb Arsenal fan club although Arsenal are coming to Sydney next year so will need to fly up

18. VP of Oz says:

OK, can anyone explain what the Cuffley FC logo is? It looks like the hindenburg disaster is playing out on reindeer antlers???

Sorry VP, I’ve suddenly lost all interest in all matters Cuffley 🙂

20. VP of Oz says:

Micky, you have the whole day ahead of you. I on the other hand, am going to sleep:-)
    Cheers

21. Easy Tiger says:

So Arsenal should have been able to predict the future? He was hardly considered injury-prone before he signed for Arsenal.
    I don’t recall too many dissenting voices at the time, in fact general opinion was that Arsenal had upgraded on Sagna with the purchase of Debuchy, who was ultimately just very unlucky.

22. fred1266 says:

Didn’t realize he was on loan

Cheers, BR.
    You even managed to hook a flounder. 🙂

I feel sorry for the Boosh.
    He played 43 times for Newcastle in the season before we bought him and by many accounts was one of their best players alongside Cabaye.

He probably thinks that the injury gods are against him what with his recovery from the dodgy ankle almost immediately scuppered by that shove from Arnautovic.
    If that’s what’s in his head, then collecting 70k a week for another 2 and a half years has got to be his best option at this stage of his career.

I really think he could have had a sparkling swansong to his career at Arsenal but he (and us) were simply unlucky.

I’m not sure he is on loan, Fred.
    I think his loan ended last summer and negotiations with Bordeaux to sign him permanently fell through.

Here’s what AFC.com have to say on his current position.

Chas

Allegedly 🙂

I thought Michu was one of those Pokemon thingies (allegedly).

30. chas mobile says:

2:06 They are a bunch of children 🙂

Sorry, I had to nip out.
    cuffley is a shit hole really, full of spurs supporters and proper snobs. Somehow I doubt I will ever blend in. But the views are great, large south facing garden at long last, peaches and kids round the corner make up for inadequate neighbourhood.

Micky – yes, croatian colours are red and white, and the away blue, silly you

Eddie

“Blending in” is neither acceptable or desirable. Be Eddie 🙂

Easy to say micky
    although you are not a full ticket either ☺

True. There’s definitely some room upstairs 🙂

All the lights are on but there is nobody atbhome😆😆😆😆

As usual I did no research for this post. Thank you chas for finding out that Boosh has not played this season.

He is not training with the team and yet still picks up €4m p.a. Nice work if you can get it

6.27. Terrible goalkeeping.

Reminded me of this one, although from further out.

42. fred1266 says:

Would you all prefer debuchy or Jenks as backup

A very fitting question Fred.

I’m reading Ray Parlour’s book that came in the membership pack and he was recounting his two assists against Liverpool in a game near the start of his first team career.
    They didn’t ring a bell with me, so I thought I’d dig them out.

Morning

Like the vid, but best bit is when it ends, the “still” of Mesut leaving players stranded remains

Tell anyone what, I think a great idea for a post and vote would be on iconic “stills” from Arsenal’s history with a vote for the best/most symbolic/personal etc

Not sure how it would work, but maybe I could go behind the scenes with Chas and sort something for tomorrow

What do you reckon Oh Smooth Porcelain Skinned One?

School run, shop for coffee then back

Micky
    I think it’s a fine idea.

I could certainly dig out the stills if you provided the text and the ‘moments’.

I start my winter marking period tomorrow, so wouldn’t be available to publish, though.

Shop for coffee?

We need a post about cech. I’m still organizing the import , cannot do much

Eddie
    Get your Mam to write it. 🙂

I’d imagine ‘shop for coffee’ means he’s run out of the finest beans for grinding; not, that he will stop to buy a ridiculously overpriced skinny latte or some such shit from some disgusting corporate coffeehouse chain.

She is busy packing her dog and med
    Shevis already driving me nuts

This photographer chap recreated some photos he took in the 70s and 80s by tracking down the original people.

Here’s a few I quite liked.

Packing her dog 😆

Chas. You are the master. Those photos are fantastic.

Thinking of Master’s where is Terry?

Java beans or Puerto Rico? Java for me ☺

First photo on the right is Rasp!! Who’s the woman though??

Brilliant photos

Dog is not coming to uk because is too difficult to smuggle one in.

I’ve tried to rate coffee as much as others do, but I just don’t like the taste.
    Tea for me, morning, noon and night.

I hadn’t seen photos of this incident before….. 🙂

The little smirk on his face in this one is priceless.

Just googled the photographer and here are some little biogs and more photos.

Stirling work
    the pink mohican didn’t age well

Coffee morning, noon and evening

Micky must have got waylaid looking for some of Columbia’s finest.

Chas
    Those then and now recreations are truly fantastic. Absolute gems

Ok, this post. If I pen the words, and list required images and email to you, can you do the magic?

I have work to do now, but will do stuff between calls

I’ll do whatever you want today.

You’re making me feel guilty now.
    Still you always say, ‘if you want something done, ask a really busy person’. 🙂

Chas, I emailed you a new post yesterday, well – it’s more a space filler.

Arsenal right-back Hector Bellerin has been ruled out for four weeks with an ankle injury.

The 21-year-old Spaniard was injured during the the north London derby against Tottenham on 6 November.

“He got injured in the last 10 seconds in a very strong tackle from Danny Rose,” said Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

Bellerin, who has played in all 11 of Arsenal’s league fixtures this season, could miss eight games, including the visit of Paris St-Germain.

He will sit out the Champions League trip to Basel on 6 December, as well as the EFL quarter-final against Southampton at Emirates Stadium on 30 November.

Arsenal are fourth in the Premier League as they prepare to face Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday (12:30 GMT).

They will assess the fitness of Alexis Sanchez on Friday after the forward scored twice for Chile in a 3-1 win over Uruguay on Tuesday, despite being a doubt before the game.

Sanchez declares himself fit for Man United clash

Date published: Thursday 17th November 2016 9:35
    Alexis Sanchez Chile

Alex Sanchez has eased fears that he could miss Arsenal’s match with Manchester United at the weekend by declaring himself ready to play.

The Gunners forward has made a quick recovery from a thigh injury sustained whilst on international duty with Chile to play in their 3-1 victory over Uruguay on Wednesday.

Sanchez, who scored twice against Uruguay, will still be analysed by Arsenal’s medical staff ahead of Saturday’s early Premier League kick-off but the player himself is confident he is fit.

“I travel today [Wednesday] to London,” Sanchez told reporters in Baranquilla. “I will train on Friday and travel the same day to Manchester to play Saturday midday.

“There is no problem with me playing.”

Initial reports suggested that the injury could rule him out for up to six weeks and Arsene Wenger expressed his concern over a potential relapse of a muscle issue.

We thought we would be without Sanchez but he has declared himself fit and we lose Bellerin for at least the next eight games.

I’m of the opinion that losing Bellerin is worse than losing Sanchez, lets hope Jenkinson can handle the pressure – here an article on exactly that………….

Carl Jenkinson has bad memories of Old Trafford and you can’t blame him.

The defender was just weeks into his career at the Emirates when he was sent-off during the Gunners’ 8-2 humbling at the hands of Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United side in 2011.

The 24-year-old was given a hiding by Ashley Young on the left-flank and was sent off after chopping down Javier Hernandez when the Mexican was through on goal.

Jenkinson’s improved – and matured – since then with loan spells at West Ham United but he’s still derided as a bit of a comedy figure in north London.

However, with Hector Bellerin set for a stint on the sidelines, Jenkinson could be handed a chance to bury his bad memories of Old Trafford against the Red Devils on Saturday.

While the right-back might be confident in his chances against a misfiring United side, Arsenal fans are less optimistic and Gooners have been having horrible flashbacks of his last appearance at the Theatre of Dreams for the Gunners.

GN5

“I’m of the opinion that losing Bellerin is worse than losing Sanchez”

Mmmm, interesting one. I get your thinking, but would go the other way as I’d think Utd would profit more by playing a Sanchezless Arsenal

Chas
    I know you’re working tomorrow, so will do the words for you early evening

Hi Micky, it’s all gone quiet over there.

GN5. I agree about Bellerin, a massive loss.

Fred 1266 asks a good question, would I prefer to see a fit Debuchy or Jenks as his substitute? Definitely Debuchy and that is what drove me to write the above post.

I agree that a fit Debuchy would be best – however it does create an opportunity for Jenkinson to correct the horror’s of 2011, plus he is a massive Arsenal fan and has improved distinctly since that 8-2 drubbing.

Chas
    I’ve just emailed you words.

Apols. lads, I’ve been completely bollocksed by work today. Join you at dawn.

Bugger, no Bellerin. Only just got the chance to say good post, so here goes, good post.

Friday. Nice. We’ve nearly beaten the international break.

When’s the next one? 🙂

Codename Eddie. Come in Eddie. Over.
    Is the package in the nest? Over.

Eddie to crews control. Package flying at 12 noon. Over

Safe house in Kupley secure. Green light 12 noon drop.

Potential earnings from Soho-style slavery look meagre. Over.

6:52

I’m guessing it’s an Ad, and therefore I’m guessing they were pitching towards the less athletic northern sort 🙂

Rendezvous Beau Monde 18 hundred hours.

Chas – don’t talk to me about disappearing black cats. Just before I left home my Lilley Lala disappeared. I searched the house, the annex, calling her rattling food – nothing. Danger was that she went to the annex and dived under the floor; builder is doing a bathroom for my mum and could not close the floors.
    so I left food for her in different rooms and the builder told me the dish in the sitting room gets emptied. Cow!!!

It’s not my house, regrettably. Yeah, some houses in Cuffley are £5m+, humongous mansions fit for a king and Kane. Harry Kane is building there.

Any reason for a footballers house, or is that the Kipley nest?

Eddie to crews control – package extremely difficult. I might not be able to restrain. God help me. Over

Must dash – deciphering exercise in full swing – Over.

Is Eddie sending Micky a cake?

We have a New Post …………………………