A Mesutless Arsenal

Imagine the very worst. Mesut gets ruled out for an extended period. Now what?

How do we juggle the pack, as I’m not so sure it’s quite as simple as sticking the most likey type of player in Mesut’s spot, simply because, I think whoever you choose is better somewhere else, and that will effectively weaken the side, and upset the balance.

Candidates, in no particular order, are Aaron, Sanchez, Santi, Ox and Iwobi.

I have included Alexis despite his new role up top, simply because I think he would be the best, but of course that brings us hurtling back to my point about balance.

For me, the decision would be radically altered if we had a fit Danny available, so for the sake of this short piece, can we make the assumption he is fit.

Just to kick things off, my choice would be Iwobi.

alex2

Written by MickyDidIt89

73 Responses to A Mesutless Arsenal

Cheers, Micky.

I’m not sure if Alex Iwobi is quite ready for the job.
    Santi is too important deeper these days.
    My choice would be a re-invigorated Aaron as he tends to occupy similar positions on the field to Mesut anyway!

ha ha ha, thanks Chas

3. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers, Micky.

I just don’t think you understand 😜

We have been scoring 2.3 PL goals per game but Mesut is yet to produce an assist, which tells us that we have others who do the key passes thing quite well too. So I would go for most like for like and who has experience…. Santi. But Iwobi is a good shout and so is Chas’ for Rambo. And then there is the ready to break through Zelalem.

But none of them are as good as Arsene Wenger’s man, better then Zidane…Master of Time And Space, Mesut..

4. Malaysian gunner says:

Now Sanchez and Ozil have asked for the moon. Since the Bosman ruling,the players think they are gods.
    I hope Arsenal sell them before their 12 months kick in. Of course its arisk but sometimes these guys must be shown they cannot hold the club to ransom.

Not as easy as I first thought.

My immediate reaction was Ramsey, given his heroics during the Euro’s. Then it was Santi as he is the nearest to having DB10’s skill set.

Then it was Iwobi. Not old enough? Not calm enough? Who knows until he is tried in the role.

Xhaka is a definite possible, he has a fine eye for a pass. So too does Jeff but he to is untried.

Nope, I still go back to Ramsey.

Malaysian. If we have the money, and we do, then we should pay whatever they are asking for.

7. JM says:

Ramsey, until Ozil returns.

Coquelin, Xhaka, Elneny and Cazorla share duties in the volante and regista roles behind the attacking quartet, comprising combinations of Ozil, Ramsey, Walcott, Alexis, Lucas, Iwobi, The Ox, Giroud and Welbeck (Jeff and Akpom to get their minutes as well in EFL Cup).

cheers micky. I don’t think you expect a sensible answer from me, but I will answer anyway 🙂 if the worst happened and we lost Mesut, then I would play Perez up front and Sanches to take Mesut’s spot. Or the other way round, depending how good Perez is.

Iwobi is a rookie, cannot be expected to stand in for Ozil, not yet anyway

Eddie

“I would play Perez up front and Sanches to take Mesut’s spot”

I do think that’s sensible, and in fact, best solution so far except for my Iwobi one. Obviously 🙂

Matter of fact, my reference to Danny was quite simply because I had forgotten all about Perez 🙂

11. Sid says:

It is all down to combinations, you could play Gomez on the left and Ipa as striker. We would need a bit of bite from say an Apple somewhere in there and a Beckham type to keep things singing.

Malaysian

I have no idea what those two have asked for, but along with Kos, I think they should be paid the going rate, and I suspect that’s topping the 200k/wk thing. That’s the way it is.

Sid
    I’d love to hear your thoughts on Mrs May’s Article 50 timing 🙂 🙂

TA
    “Cheers, Micky. I just don’t think you understand”
    That’s be my usual position 🙂

15. Sid says:

Micky, depends on if you want money or not.
    How much.
    Or how little.

How about Gomez on the left, Morticia driving through the centre, Lurch at the back and Ray Wilkins passing sideways across the middle?

Looks like Samir Nasri occupying the left wing slot

18. TotalArsenal says:

Box to Box – Omnipresent Beastie

And Ray Parlour playing in left midfield

Rod is standing up 🙂 Funny, I didn’t think he would care about such honour. Still, well deserved even if only for Maggie May

21. Eczelo says:

I love Micky’s enthusiasm on the talent Iwobi is. I believe if the lad keeps learning which every player under Arsene does, then we got a well groomed nd graduated gooner as a Legend!

Eczelo

Iwobi can get even better?

Fatten the man’s weekly envelope this minute 🙂

Raddy – do you know what we are called now – Remainiacs 🙂 As opposed to Brexiters

My name is Big Raddy and I am a Remainiac

oooooh, I don’t want to be heard mate, you’d upset lots of people who are already wiping the egg off their faces

he he he love that pic, and the pully actually jammed half way across 🙂

28. Cheers Micky

Ozil can’t be replaced mate, the other’s aren’t good enough. If Ozil tried to replace Ozil, he couldn’t do it either.

Our best next hope is to play his brother. Has he got a brother?

This is a new technique I use on dating sites. Rather than pretending to be Robbie Williams and then having to explain my appearance by claiming I had suffered an overnight coughing fit, I just claim to be his confused and suspicious looking brother.

I done this last week with some bird who was into Lewis Hamilton. When I got to the restaurant I just claimed that last night I was forced to watch a film starring that Twat Huge Grant and may have had a mild stroke.

All she wanted to do was talk about that Runt Hamilton. I tried to play along “Yeah, Lewis is trying to get JLS back together” she looked really perplexed at that?

The final straw was when she started going on about Hamilton’s driving and his poxy car. “Who cares what car he drives, he’s only a bleeding singer. Besides, I’ve got a Ford Fiesta”

Alright, I didn’t get a second date, but I still had more chance making out I was his brother rather than him. I can’t sing for shit.

Ozil, irreplaceable.

🙂 🙂 🙂

Theo starts, but I still can’t be bothered to watch them. Kinda sad, given how much I’d like to watch a game

me neither. Cannot be arsed to watch Poland v Armenia either. Where the hell is Armenia, I thought it was in Asia

Montenegro beating Denmark, Raddy must be crying, poor Remainiac

oh dear, Poland only drawing with Armenia terrific

Only a month until the next interlull!

Terrible result for Denmark. Had all the play but could not score.

I am going to support Germany

36. What a load of crap. The only ones that played well were Hart and the woodwork,especially the woodwork.

Let’s look on the bright side. Greece are doing well. The customary glory of almost coming out of the group only to end in disappointment as a poor finish never meant almost coming out of the group at all.

Clever question, iwobi is not ready so we would just have to make do with the second best number 10 in Europe, although, I think many other unforeseen changes would need to be made to get the clock to tick anywhere near as smoothly.

38. chas mobile says:

39. chas mobile says:

40. chas mobile says:

Funnily enough, and nothing to do with the Denmark game, I’ve been reading about Montenegro this morning.

They’re in the € zone!! Are they mad? 🙂

42. Didit says:

The dog vid don’t work. Bust. Ex. Deceased. Caputski.

43. Didit says:

Weird, I didn’t change my name or move devices

didIt – your name changed itself, sure, of course it has. And this country is going to be better off out of Europe, sure, of course it will.

GiE – allergy hospital admittions have reached epidemic levels, especially amongst children. WHY??

I’ve been reading about Venezuela.
    Sheeeee-eeeeeet, there was me thinking Brexit Britain was bad.

I hate travelling and are done with seeing the world, but South America has always been tempting…maybe one day

Funny not football related story – my brother ex-semi pro footballer has worked all his life for his children and his house. After 30 years of huge sacrifices his otherwise good marriage ended, because of the bastardly children. He now sold his dream family house, pocketed the money, gave notice at work and he’s going to South America for 6 months. That’s a starter of his plan to blow all the money away 🙂 🙂 I am jealous

47. TotalArsenal says:

Chas at 7am hahaha 😀

And yes Venezuela is going through a nightmare right now. The Brexit Storm is yet to start. But ask the UK Fujitsu workers and they will tell you what they are thinking right now.

48. Didit says:

Eddie
    So you still think UK would be better off in the EU?
    We’ll see. Only time will tell 🙂

49. Didit says:

TA
    The weaker pound is good news. unless of course, you’re a London property bubble tycoon, elite banker, or ex-pat pensioner

50. TotalArsenal says:

Or you rely on imports to run your business. Or hate staycations. It will also increase prices across the board.

51. Didit says:

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
    10 October 2016 • 7:54pm

The slump in sterling is a blessing in disguise after years of overvaluation and helps to break the corrosive stranglehold of the financial elites over the British economy, according to a former bail-out chief for the International Monetary Fund.

“It is desirable from every point of view. The idea that Britain is in crisis or is on its knees before the exchange rate vigilantes is ludicrous,” said Ashoka Mody, the IMF’s former deputy-director for Europe.

“The UK economy is rebalancing amazingly well. It is a stunning achievement that a once-in-fifty-year event should have gone to smoothly.”

Professor Mody, who led the EU-IMF Troika rescue for Ireland, said the pound had been driven up to nose-bleed levels from 2011 to 2015 by global property speculators and the banking elites acting in destructive synergy, causing serious damage to Britain’s manufacturing base and long-term competitiveness.

52. Didit says:

This is the positive side to Interlulls
    Love it 🙂

tsa tsa tsa DidIt – so now you are going to say it was long overdue, overpriced pound, self adjustment…yeah right. Excuses.

Every tank of fuel is about £50 more expensive because of the low pound. This of course is going to be passed on to the consumers – petrol prices, energy bills, supermarket goods – all prices will go up for xmas.

54. Didit says:

Eddie
    I intentionally posted some words from an expert, so that YOU didn’t have to knock MY thinking 🙂

Guess that backfired 🙂

ps you can always tell me to stop, and I might listen

55. TotalArsenal says:

Now it’s been a while since I did macro economics, but if the UK’s import is significantly higher than the export a weakest pound in 30 years is not a good thing. Over time export should increase and import decrease, but what does Brittain actually still make that is exportable?

56. Didit says:

Oooo, more good stuff

Eddie, you’re not going to read this are you?

“It was essentially a bank-property nexus, and the rest of the economy was left to suffer. It is stunning that just 1.4pc of all loans were going to the manufacturing sector,” he said.

“Britain was borrowing 5pc to 6pc of GDP a year to buy imports and live beyond its means. The strong pound was great if you wanted to buy a Mercedes Benz of take a holiday in Spain, but the prosperity was an illusion, borrowed from the future,” he said.

The pound was 20pc to 25pc overvalued in trade-weighted terms before the Brexit campaign got underway, based on classic IMF measures of the real effective exchange rate (REER). This currency distortion would have inflicted deep damage if it had been allowed to continue for another five years.

“History is going to judge that Brexit at last broke the political-economy lock of a British elite wedded to banking interests”

57. Didit says:

TA
    “what does Brittain actually still make that is exportable”

Good point. We have to start somewhere. Key thing is we need to wean ourselves off debt financed living

Another financial shitstorm is coming (prob Deutsche Bank), and it’ll create very tough times for all, but new types of economes will emerge

58. Didit says:

economies

59. Didit says:

HELP someone, put up a football post. Maybe a vote without words
    Yes, No, Don’t Know
    We’ll fill in the questions as the day progresses

60. TotalArsenal says:

The good news is no international injuries and Theo saved himself for the Arsenal. Good boy! 😀⚽️

Perhaps Did it is so full of money that the value of his pound is irrelevant.

And just because one economist (what bunch of deluded fools they are) gives his opinion it does not make it fact. Far more “economists” are predicting doom and disaster.

Shall we use West Ham Bob’s post?

No-one passed the ball to Theo last night. Wonder why?

63. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, I hope you are right and it turns out for the best for the UK. That would be something.

64. Didit says:

Erik
    You’re the only person in the world that says I’m rich
    I leave others to judge your powers of judgement
    My view? Foggy 🙂

Doom and disaster IS coming, it’s just when. Brexit has zero to do with it.

65. Didit says:

How long did Theo play for?

60 minutes.

WHU Bob’s post? If no-one demurs I will publish in 10 minutes

67. TotalArsenal says:

Sums it up nicely, Raddy 🙂

Thanks Micky, sorry I couldn’t get on yesterday to comment. I rate Iwobi too, but would probably try Eddie’s idea first and move Alexis back to the right and try Lucas centrally for a run of games.

69. Didit says: