Hornets Ahoy

Mr Wenger said the start of the season has been “a shot in the foot”. Already 5 points off top 4 and a tricky away fixture today could worsen our situation.

Let’s look at the runners and riders.

Watford have done well since their return to the PL, 13th and some major scalps plus a reputation as a hard -working attacking team. Can they cement their place or will it be second-season syndrome? The same can be said for Bournemouth.

Mazzari is an interesting choice of coach and arrives having managed both Napoli and Internazionale. Will he propel Watford to the Top 10? The owners are not afraid of experimentation and that alone makes Watford an interesting club.

An Argentinian MF named Pereyra is WFC’s record signing at €20m (sorry my keyboard and mind don’t do  UK Sterling!!). The inflation in the market is crazy when a small town club can spend €20m on a player.

As always if we defend well the game will be easier and we will have to  – Deeney and Inhale have shown they can be very dangerous. Other standout players are the new signings Janmaat and Kabul. Kabul could have been a fine CB but sadly for him he is tainted but the skinny Cockerel, Janmaat is a Dutch international FB and someone I thought AW may be interested in when his previous club (Newcastle) were released.

Watford play at The Vicarage. Last time I went there we smashed them in the FA Cup. Can’t remember when – it is lost in the clouds and steam of time.

Enough of them.

Given his excellent game last weekend it must be strange for Holding to know a €35m man (who is only 4 years older) is taking your place. Can Holding play at RB? Will he be a squad member? Is he as good as Gabriel? So many questions about our CB situation. Mustafa’s arrival almost certainly means this will be BFG’s last AFC season.

We have to score today. Ozil will return which is a boon. Rumour has it that OG is injured 😦 so my guess at the team is this (and it gets harder as players return)

My Team:

Cech

Bellerin    Holding    Koscielny     Monreal

Cazorla    Xhaka   Coquelin

Walcott   Sanchez     Ozil

We are reaching the point where even the bench is hard to pick! This bodes well for the season given Arsenal’s propensity for injury.

Important to win today given the coming Interlude; should we lose the doomers will be  bitching for 2 very long weeks. But we won’t lose , will we?

COYRRG

78 Responses to Hornets Ahoy

Cheers, BR.
    Let’s hope we’re all celebrating at 5 o’clock.

Thanks BR

Love a pre-match. I always like to see the team you think Wenger will pick to see if I see things the same way. (a lot of sees there)

I think you have got it today, although, for the sake of variation I am going to swap Xhaka with Elneny.

—————–Czech

Bellerin, Holding, Koscielny, Monreal

————Elneny—–Coquelin

—————–Cazorla

—–Walcott—Sanchez—Ozil

This is worth a read while you are killing time. It is an article on Lucas from a Depor fan. It is in English and has a few things that have not yet appeared in the English press.

I hope he is not writing in a second language because I am just going to give up now. (it is very good)

Lovely PM Raddy, thank you.

A ‘must win’ this early in the season? 🙂

I wonder how many of the new boys will be on the pitch next game?

I got a ticket, I got a ticket, I’m a happy bunny.

It’s in the Watford end though, better get out the yellow shirt.

Thanks Raddy. We will know by 5.00pm whether I will be bitching for the next 2 weeks. We should win but an excellent all round performance and convincing win rather than a squeeky bum one would do a lot to settle everyone’s nerves and give us a boost.

Chas great number 1 fan toy thing you looked out for Eddie but sadly it is no good for her…too limited in what it does…she does want a signing / dancing one but also one that will attack bearded cyclists on sight 🙂

7. fred1266 says:

Do you All think Santi coquelin combo would ever return

8. LBG says:

Interesting article LB!
    What a dream come true it would be if it turns out to be one of the signings of all time to rank with Vieira, Henry, Smells et al as AW closes his reign!!

9. LBG says:

Smells?????? Anelka, even.

Good read as always Raddy.

Our PL record against Watford is P6, W6, GF16, GA 3. – based on that we should have no problem – so why am I nervous?

LB,

Interesting read at 10:52 am.

Lets hope that a) we sign Perez, b) the fans accounting is correct.
    He sounds like an AW diamond in the rough type of player, it would be fantastic if he really excels and puts egg on the faces of the critics.

TEAM NEWS: Ozil starts

Mesut Ozil has been handed his first start of the season for Arsenal’s trip to Watford.

Arsène Wenger continues with the partnership of Laurent Koscielny and Rob Holding in central defence, with Santi Cazorla lining up alongside Granit Xhaka in midfield.

Alexis once again leads the forward line, flanked by Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Francis Coquelin drops to the bench, where he is joined by Jack Wilshere and Olivier Giroud.

Arsenal team: Cech, Bellerin, Holding, Koscielny, Monreal, Cazorla, Xhaka, Walcott, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexis

Arsenal substitutes: Ospina, Chambers, Gibbs, Coquelin, Elneny, Wilshere, Giroud

Copyright 2016 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Got to say I like the team. I am glad he is sticking with Alexis up top and the Ox from the left. It is a formation I thought we should have tried last season and needs to be given a good chance to see if it can blossom before saying it doesn’t work.

Will also be interested to see if Xhaka can be disciplined enough to play more a holding role alongside Santi. Xhaka looks a good box to box player as well, also offering something going forwards, but today he will have to be more disciplined.

GN5, I hope you didn’t take offence at my comment this morning. I do enjoy blogging and debating with those that may see it from a different angle to me. I just felt that Eddie needed some help 🙂 ….although on reflection I think Eddie is fearsome enough to go it alone.

Ox instead of Le Coq!

Risky and daring. A new approach for away fixtures?

15. TotalArsenal says:

Superb stuff Raddinski 🙂

GB thanks for comments on previous post and well done for trying to substantiate your lack of confidence in the statement that we have made progress over the last few years. I reckon if we would win the PL without a super CF this year you would still find ways to undermine Wenger’s achievement hahaha 🙂

Leicester City was always going to win the PL last season… it was written in the stars my friend and every neutral, on and off the pitch, wanted it to happen: it became a collective self-fulfilling prophecy. So it happened.

And if we had had six more penalties and they had had six less, I bet we would have won the league last year.. 😉

But that is the past and the only thing that matters is the here and now and Wenger is going to win the league through four main attackers rather than one or two… 🙂

Enjoy the game fine fellow Gooners, especially LB the lucky sod! 🙂

COYRRG!

16. fred1266 says:

Let’s see how it do today,

17. fred1266 says:

That kit lol didn’t like it at first but looks alright today

18. TotalArsenal says:

You see GB, we are getting penalties a lot easier now… a good sign 🙂

Happy to have egg on my face T.A if it means winning the league. You will not find any criticism from me if we do it without a top class CF, I will happily hold my hands up. If we don’t, or at least don’t get close and significantly improve on last seasons points tally, then I await your reasons for it with baited breath 🙂

20. TotalArsenal says:

Good one, GB 🙂

2-0 to the mighty red and white

21. I’m listening to the commentary and that sounded like a super goal, can’t wait to see it later 🙂

22. The third one sounded nice too 🙂

23. I wonder if LB is managing to sit on his hands 😉

24. fred1266 says:

It looked nice as well, xhaka passing from deep is impressive

25. LBG says:

LB should be sent to sit with the oppo in all our away games this year as official AA representative!

Terrific half for AFC.

The Ozil goal was superb – Alexis’ pass exquisite.

Very happy with Theo’s performance, I don’t think I have ever seen him tackle so hard and he looks dangerous every time he gets a run

LBG. Good call.

28. fred1266 says:

Anyone see that penalty call in the palace game, apparently you can’t hold players shirt now

29. fred1266 says:

What you all think about ox performance so far,

30. Oh no, we conceded 😦 A couple more goals would be good. Our man at the match Sir A says Xhaka has been amazing

Not such a good second half but once again I was impressed by Theo.

Holding did well against two tough and experienced attackers. Ozil looks rusty but remains class. Xhaka could be The Man.

Only minor quibble would be the form of the Ox.

And AW confirms the 2 new signings.

Fine start to the Interlull

bloody Wengerites are having a ball 🙂

great PM Raddy, cheers!!

2 excellent goals, especially the second from Sanchez, lovely team play. Boys looked sharp

Who needs new signings??!!

34. Aaron says:

Enjoyable game. Xhaka can hold the ball, and zip them everywhere with accuracy.
    Wanted to keep a clean sheet, but it was not to be.
    theo and Ox both guilty of failing to make a run to the far post for a tap in-think Sanchez’s goal, and both tried to lob the keeper when they both do not possess that touch. Should have tried to pass a low shot in on the run, for a 5-1 game. grrrrrr
    Elneny came on and did exactly what he was supposed to do, pass it around, take control of the game, and squeeze the life out of Watford.
    Plus, 2 new signings coming-what a great day to be an Arsenal fan.

Superb pm erik
    Thanks
    Brilliant result
    Can’t wait to watch game sometime

36. fred1266 says:

Agreed BR ox was his usual unimpressive self, seems all he does is try to chip

5.51. Is that an old pic of FGG

Arsene Wenger claimed his 650th win as Arsenal manager in a dominating performance at Vicarage Road against Watford and he praised how clinical his side were during the first-half.

Shame about the second half. 😆

Six hundred and fiftieth!!!!!!!!

MU fluke another win in extra time. I hate them so much (apart from Ibra)

42. fatgingergooner says:

FGG is pissed! I had them all except Coq for Santi, but I predicted that also!

Great result! We will win a trophy this year, deal with it!

I knew that weirdo was aimed at me, I deliberately ignored it, but you couldn’t hold the water, could you??!!

And that is from someone who doesn’t know where or when his photo was taken

bloody panic buys

First time any of you have heard about Mustafi Shodran was from me here. I read his name and was curious about nationality, thought he was Hungarian. Turned out he is German with a name like that. Albanian descent.

Perez?? Not even I have heard of him. Apparently Ollie is the better striker of the two.

45. Sir A was at the match and has offered a match report, shall I accept? Maybe LB would like to do some player ratings?

Anyway, we were that good that we’re the featured game on sky, now, 8.30 401 🙂

oi Raddy – doomers will be bitching anyway 🙂 what else is there to do in the next 2 weeks

47. fatgingergooner says:

Aaaaaah, panic!

We’ve signed players and won a game! 👎

48. Sir A will be sending through a match report 🙂

“Arsenal had already agreed to meet a 20m euro (£17.1m) clause to sign Deportivo La Coruna forward Perez, 27, who scored 17 goals in 37 games last season.”

Man we didn’t even offer the extra €1 and we still got him.

50. VP of Oz says:

Every time i refreshed this page during the game, it always went back to Chas 9:22. Very frustrating:-)
    GB, your point on 80+points is valid and I accede. I think we are now 1 more transfer away from achieving it and it could be Lacazette or Griezmann that delivers it.
    What a great morning so far.

I suppose when you dig yourself in as a wengerout critic, there is nowhere else to go and every moment of your Arsenal waking life is miserable.

Super win yesterday. Some of the football we played in the first half was really exciting to watch.

Looking forward to Sir A’s match report.
    I wonder if it’ll be a tale of an exaasperated Arsenal away support again.

Also, very much looking forward to any snippets from LB’s sortie behind enemy lines. 🙂

The ticket situation is strange when even a S/T holder and regular away fan like Chas cannot get tickets.

WH Bob has been a S/T holder at WHU for decades yet missed out on the lottery at the new stadium. He is not a happy bunny

BR
    I thought there were plenty of season tickets to go round at their new gaff.
    I think there are two lads who live up here who bought £290 season tickets without having had one before and they only plan to go to a handful of games.

57. fatgingergooner says:

Remember when Özil was lazy and a waste of money! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

That pass into Sanchez for the pen and then that third goal 😍😍😍😍😍😍. The cross from Sanchez was ridiculous.

58. LBG says:

Can’t wait to see “every moment of their Arsenal waking life” as miserable as can be for EVERY Wenger out doomer in the land!
    Sorry, the revival has begun….

chas. As I understand it you had to apply for an S/T on a lottery basis. It was way over-subscribed and Fat Bob lost out, as did his son.

Another positive of yesterday was the way AFC dealt with a very physical team. Watford got 6 yellows and it could have been more.

We are no longer a “soft” team with even Theo getting stuck-in, the addition of Granit could be crucial.

LBG
    Don’t go overboard – it was only a shite Watford team we should have beaten 6-0.

it was a good game, 3 points well deserved.
    Good job there is 2 weeks of nothing, the new panic buys can start gelling with the rest of the team

Raddy – I don’t understand your love for Ibra. He has snubbed Arsenal in a spectacular manner. Wenger offered him a trial but Ibra refused the offer as insulting. Arrogant bumhole. He will do well at mancunia. I hope it rains there every single day

Eddie

Three points
    Great football
    Panic buy striker secured
    Storming of box cancelled

Now praying Perez not shoehorned into wing play to accommodate giroud

micky
    we lost more points than we earned so far
    panic buys need time, why wait till the last minute????

oppo looks solid, very worrying

Wenger out
    woods calling
    what’s hash tag
    over

Eddie

Bank balance situation dire
    Risk aversers miserable
    Solution flog Ollie
    Then all factions clap happily
    Over

68. LBG says:

Chas.
    LBG #Overboard forever!

The match report is on its way, I’ll be back with it soon

micky

perez not much better than Ollie and not as handsome
    paid about £18m for Perez so need to sell Ollie for £20m+ to make any sense of it

71. New post everyone ….

72. fred1266 says:

BR what ticket situation is happening again the moment