Are you ready for the 25th edition of the Premier League?

Looking ahead to our 25th season in the Premier League I’m filled with both anticipation and apprehension of what lies ahead for our team. In just a short few days our players will step on the field at the Emirates to play our 925th game in the PL to date our record is won 502, drawn 241 and lost 181 – which is the 2nd best all time PL record, shown below.

Pos- Team P W D L Pts
42- Bradford- 76 14 20 42 62
43- B’mouth – 38 11 9 18 42
44- B’pool  – 38 10 9 19 39
45- Barnsley- 38 10 5 23 35
46- Swindon- 42 5 15 22 30
47- Cardiff – 38 7 9 22 30

We play Liverpool in what will be our 49th game against them in the PL where our home record is W9, D9, L6 and our away record is W6, D8, L10. Personally I am very nervous about our chances as with our makeshift defence Liverpool could easily turn us over.

My apprehension also surrounds our lack of a proven goal scorer; if we do not significantly improve in this area and are forced to compete with the same attacking force, I have strong doubts about our ability to win major trophies. We still have until the end of August to add a striker and another centre back but leaving it so late causes me great angst and reduces our chances of success.

My anticipation comes from the excitement of another season of watching the team I have grown old with; as odd as it may sound, I’m still like a young child waiting for the season to start (my 70th) and as usual I will be behind them 100%.

With the improvements in both management and players for Liverpool, Man U, Man C, Chelsea and Spurs, not to mention Leicester I feel that this will be one of the most exciting and competitive Premier League seasons on record.

Are you ready?  I am.

GunnerN5

40 Responses to Are you ready for the 25th edition of the Premier League?

1. FIRST in this new season !!!!!

Cheers, GN5, I’m definitely ready. 🙂

The spreadsheet formatting is a bit dodgy in portrait on a mobile but is ok in landscape. Even between my two PCs it displays differently.
    So apologies to everyone as it was my attempts which have gone a little awry.
    Rasp will be back from wearing a sailor’s hat, eating spinach and swabbing the decks in due course and a professional approach to spreadsheet formatting taken thereafter.

Chas,

I really appreciate you for going to the trouble of prepping my post for publication.

I took it from my Excel data base, modified it in Note Pad and than copied it over to Word in the vain hope that it would make it easier to transfer to Word Press. I wish that I knew a better way; maybe getting a Word Press account would be the answer?

Well less than an hour to the PL kick off, I’m definitely ready. but I would feel a lot better if we had secured an additional CB and striker.

Chas,

How is JC doing, well I hope?

6. wally says:

Always starting the season with hope, the possibility that the boys will get it done this year.
    Unfortunately this year starts with trepidation. I think it will require a number of players to have record breaking personal bests for us to win it this year. Striker has been left as neglected position for far too long and this may be the year the chickens come home to roost.
    Nonetheless, until it actually happens we’re in with both feet.

I agree with you Wally, I’m certainly concerned about our ability to find the final touch in front of goal but I feel it’s our defense that needs the most improvement.

8. LBG says:

Cheers GN5. “Gladiators ready……….”
    We are ready Arsene, unleash hell!

Chas, thank you for a stirring JC montage!

Hull – Top of the League……….

Super read GN5 Thankyou.

Cant believe it is almost 25 years since the start of the PL. Still feels new!

Your stats show the fall from grace for Dirty Leeds. Shows what over spending can lead to.

Fine win for Hull, without Brucie’s influence they beat the PL champs and go ToTL.

Raddy,

Leeds had bet the bank on staying in the CL and their downfall began when they failed to make the top 4 and subsequently got no CL money to pay the debts they had accumulated. Now they languish at the bottom of the championship – just goes to show what bad stewardship can do to a club.

100 million for Pogba, is it possible that the red roses could mess up as spectacularly? Can you imagine how great that would be to watch?

By the way thanks for the post GN5.

And to avoid doubt I will offer to write the match report unless anyone else has volunteered or if someone had really set their heart on it or, come to think about it, for any reason whatsoever but failing that I will give up my birthday evening tomorrow to write it.

I hope you are able to enjoy your birthday LB and that some other good soul will volunteer.

good man LB!! Match report on your birthday! I am more impressed with that than with Rasp’s ‘Hi guys, I am on a yacht’ 🙂

GN5 – thank you for the post, very interesting, so we are second best, behind the red mancs, damn. If anyone had asked me the first 3 teams I would have said Arsenal, Manc, Pool. I am sure chavs were nearer the bottom than the top before Abramovitch.

Exciting season? Maybe, but I’d say it’s going to be scary for us. City were trying very hard to get the full 3 points, they are not going to drop points by drawing, and that’s from the first game.

I bet you any money we are going to have a slow start, wait for the tired to be rested, the injured to get better and the anticipated to arrive, but that aint gonna happen tomorrow, is it?
    your sincerely
    Ed Doomer

You can’t write a match report on the evening of your birthday, LB.

17. LB you are a hero and we shall make an altogether super online birthday party for you on Monday. Thank you

18. Anyone watching the tennis? Nadal v del Potro, amaxing

19. I want Andy Murray to win the gold medal again but Nadal has already one one and del Potro hasn’t so I want to see him in the final

20. And it is del Potro to face Andy Murray

21. Thank you GN5 for the post, I’m excited too although I have the same reservations as you but hey we are The Arsenal and its the start of the season and we have players that can change games and score goals and I’m always in the ‘we’re gonna score one more than you’ camp 🙂

Come on Arsenal 😃😃😃😃

Well Peaches we will find out tomorrow just what our make shift looks like and how they perform.

Only 18 hours to kick off…………… 🙂 🙂

Morning all, I am most definitely not ready. Surely the football season doesn’t start until Olympics are finished?

That said I might just be using them as an excuse not to watch football. Couldn’t be arsed with MOTD last night. Probably would have if Everton had held on.

Not sure if I’ll watch today as have nieces birthday party to attend.

GiE – big mistake not watching Motd. That tool from Leicester was presenting in his boxers only. Very funny ha ha ha ha … ejeet

I am going to put some money on Hull winning the league this season

25. Didit says:

Thanks GN5

I’m ready. Arsenal are not.

However, because Ollie is crap AND makes Arsenal boring to watch with me going to sleep three times last season, I’m excited and revved up for the off.

I think we’ll score three. Minimum. If they score more than that, then it’s been an epic so sod it.

26. Didit says:

Chas
    Just watched the JC vid. Really nice. Well played.

Enjoyed two things in particular. JC, aged 90, with fag in hand, and the supporter with his plastic shirt tucked into his trousers 🙂

27. Didit says:

Three things. Sound track.

ian wright when asked about Arsenal chances of being title contenders this season: “well….big exhale…shakes his head…I feel sorry for Arsenal”. There, precisely the answer I expected from an honest fan.

29. Didit says:

Peaches

I watched last set of tennis. Blimey, what an atmosphere. Crikey, do Brasilians hate Argentinians or what!!!
    Guess they’ll be getting behind Murray.

Some of the cycling I watched was seriously crazy shit. Those banks are really steep, the corners tight, and with six of them bunched up just mm’s apart, it’s amazing stuff.

30. Didit says:

Eddie
    I think the current squad could do really well and play excellent football. Depends on team selection and injuries 😦

Still, bet we beat Pool and Leicester.

oh yeah? Fine, we beat Pool and Leicester and I quit smoking. How about that?

32. Always ready GN5. Have to be on alert, don’t want to miss an opportunity.

We will win the league this season.

Love the JC montage. Chas, that old photo? I had no idea that you were once an unemployed actor. I salute you. Suffering for your art whilst counting the days to the next Giro must have been very difficult.

33. Didit says:

We have a day of no wind, which is a first for this summer, so an all dayer in the water.

Small wave now, will get bigger after low water at 9:30

Then back for game. Perfect day ahead with loads of goals 🙂

34. Morning