Pl 6 W5 D1 L0. Our Boys in France.

First to kick off at the Euros were The FP and Koscielny. Both had fine games with OG scoring the opening goal of the tournament, a classic centre forward’s headed goal. Given the pressure under which Giroud plays in France he must have left the pitch highly satisfied. Koscielny played as he does for Arsenal, with calm efficiency.

Aaron Ramsey: I like his hair colour – it makes him  very easy to identify. Ramsey had a strange game. Started in the number 10 role playing high up the pitch yet as the game progressed moved deeper and deeper. In the second half he was in his Arsenal position which is all over the place.

It would be an exaggeration to say Ramsey dominated the game but he was influential. Next up England where he will hopefully kick lumps out of TotEngland.

Granit Xhaka: Our first view of him as an Arsenal player. I suggested his play was similar to Elneny insomuch as he can break up play but also move forward to assist the attack and predicted a season on the bench for Coquelin. LB’s wrote “To me he looks like a straight swap for Arteta: plays deep, accurate passing, will link the defence with the attack as well as Arteta at his best, expected a tad more defensively and for that I can see slightly more of a time share with Coquelin.”

We shall see.

Wilshire: England kicked off without Jack! It was clear to see how much they improved when he came on. The media are raving about the quality of the England performance – I have no idea why apart from trying to keep interest in the team and tournament. How many chances did they create for the “lethal” Harry Kane? How could Hodgson keep a poor Sterling on the pitch with Vardy on the bench?  Against a poor Russia team a draw was Spursy.

Szczesny. Clean sheet, made a couple of fine saves. Didn’t have much to do in a game totally dominated by Poland but what he had to do he did with aplomb.

Ozil: Mesut was fairly anonymous but created a last minute goal for Schweini. As always the oil in the German attack, he rarely gave up the ball and unusually played the whole game.

So…. our boys result so far.  Played 6 W5 D1 L0.

Cech, Rosicky, Bellerin all play today (if selected).

95 Responses to Pl 6 W5 D1 L0. Our Boys in France.

Well done Raddy,forever the optimist.Most probably haven’t got any groups from India booked in this week and by the way one day you might spell Wilshere’s name right 😉 I know and I love you to.

Can’t wait for the Germany v Poland game, bound to kick off big time so that will make 4 national sides threatened with being expelled and we haven’t even mentioned Ukraine or the mother of all Ultras the Italians .

It’s a bloody joke that there is a doubt that we might beat the mighty Welsh.Wrong manager, wrong tactics,wrong formation, and he doesn’t know his best team.Club before country for me every time.i will get my coat 😉

2. chas mobile says:

TA
    Correct
    Maze hut hose ill. 🙂

3. chas mobile says:

Read the post later.
    Thanks for writing, BR.

Should have got that …. to much schnapps last night 😦

kelsey. It was the spell check 😡

Thanks for the post Raddy. I’ve only watched the France, England and Noordern Oirland games so not qualified to comment on the others (it’s never stopped me before 🙂 )

I was very pleased for Ollie. His stats for France are top drawer – the French are more fickle than Arsenal supporters to boo him.

“Against a poor Russia team a draw was Spursy” Nice 🙂

Hey Erik
    You mention both Jack and Aaron. This terrible image entered my mind of them colliding on Thursday 😦

7. TotalArsenal says:

fab overview, Raddy: plenty of positives from those first few games. The Arsenal players are shining already, and more to come hopefully. Almost every game had an Arsenal link which says enough. Come on you European Gunners! 😉

Total 🙂

I’ll enjoy my gravy on Yorkshire Pudd., you’ll be enjoying your GM Monsanto modified chemicals 🙂

9. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, essential on Yorkshire Pudinski but on chips? 😀

On chips you put raw onion, mayonnaise and tomato curry sauce; and if you feel in the mood you add peanut sauce; now that’s how chips are consumed 😉

Oh my goodness what ever happened to good old salt and vinegar?

micky – yeah, you’ll be having your Yorkshire pudding with nothing else, British farming is heavily subsidised by the EU. Plus prices of imported meats will soar. Get used to a veggie diet mate

Cech had a good game and was unlucky to concede. Tomas worked hard but had poor attackers in front of him.

13. Janman says:

Really concerned that England could not see off Russia. Should never have conceded a goal at the end the way we did. Additionally we did not complete many of the chances created. I was surprised that after we took the lead we did not immediately make changes. Sterling was done, Kane did nothing and we were losing too many balls in the midfield. I concur with the earlier post from Kelsey that it is a joke that we are worried about beating Wales!
    As usual the Germans demonstrated that no matter what happens they are a true tournament team. Amazing run from Ozil at the end, who says he is lazy. Lastly I would like to comment on the issues in Marseille with England and Russia. It appears that the Russians (thugs) had a game plan. However, with that said the English are not blameless. England has a bad reputation with drinking and causing problems. Look at any major town center in England on a Friday or Saturday evening as there is some disgusting anti social behavior displayed. While I am sure that there are many genuine traveling English fans who are passionate about following England there are just as many low life lager louts that are only there to cause trouble. I have traveled pretty much throughout Europe and the USA and virtually everywhere you go where there are large numbers of English people, I am sorry to say they are not the best behaved and in many cases have no respect for local culture and laws. What I am saying is that if these so called fans (regardless of country) can be identified then they should be handed life time bans from attending football matches as these type of louts (regardless of which country they come from) are usually at the lower end of the social scale and most certainly have an alternate plan to watching football.

14. Cheers Raddy. Been a good tournament so for.

I always knew Woy was a Totnumb fan. Hope the Twat develops a Lisp in his buttocks

The violence was disgusting. All the Russians looked as fit as a butchers dog, must have done time in a Gulag with a Duncan Bannnatyne Gym? Our lot looked liked a bunch of fat unfit wankers. Probably went to the same Gulag as Usmanov.

If you want to fight, get fit you mugs. Every time some kid wanted a ruck at school, I would ignore the masses pleas of fight fight fight by demanding 8 weeks to train.

By that time, hopefully the other kid forgot all about it, and if not, I was fit enough to leg it.

I agree with you Eddie, ime voting to stay in. Not because I want to, I just fear been deported.

I rang up the vote leave helpline and asked the lovely sounding girl at the other end what the policy was for Cockney Greeks born in Stepney? She said “don’t worry sir, no one is getting deported” Reassured, I then asked wether my innocent criminal record would be held against me? She asked what an innocent criminal record was so I explained I was guilty but if I had committed the offence at a farm in 19th century Albania, it would never have gone to court.

She seemed alarmed at this which in turn alarmed me so to test the water stated that I was considering a career change to an unqualified Slovakian Plumber, and asked what would be the consequences of such an action?

She hanged up, so if vote leave wins, ime getting deported.

Terry. 😀 😀

Just watched another ex-Gooner. Kim Kallstrom played for Sweden and had a decent game

Eddie, my dear sweet Eddie
    I’d rather be a vegetarian.
    Anyway, I’m sticking to my hard left line on this issue and will not be budged the corporate fat cats, or their lousy meet 🙂

Italy Belgium anyone?

as in meat 🙄

Cheers, BR.

The tournament’s not doing it for me at the moment.
    Watched the England game, most of the Wales, some of Ireland today, very little of anything else.

Has there been any decent attacking games yet?

I’m just hoping our players emerge unscathed.

fook, what’s that thing standing between Verlmealen and Fellaini??

I wanted to support Italy, but that Conte is a chav, isn’t he?

Italy for me

Belgium for me. Why? Brussels ….

What am I thinking????

I have so many Italian friends … Forze Italia. Forze Azzuri

Conte looks like a chap who uses Grecian 2000

Mind you, with Hazard and Da Brian, Belgium do have an exciting attack

Do they actually eat sprouts in Brussels?
    Serious question

27. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Here in Ireland we had Irish gunner Emma Byrne on the studio panel yesterday which was awesome to see.

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but would it be fair to say that England have to absolutely worst kit of the tournament so far. It’s like the designers realized too late that white and gray tops were completely dull so added bright red socks to compensate. It’s awful in my opinion.
    The thing I don’t get is for me ye perfected the kit years ago. The white top, navy shorts, white shorts combo is both iconic and classic..see Italia 90.
    I understand you have to change the kit a bit every few years but why tinker so much with a winning formula?

No. But they do eat mussels and chips

True, and bloody good meal it is

Jeremy – you are not the one to talk about the worst kit, really. You can barely see the paddies against the turf

Poland has a great kit – red and white, my fav colours

That was a great half

32. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Great chart chas.
    Seriously, being Irish I should automatically detest every England kit but all of those ones range from fantastic to good and most of them are really classy.

Eddie, don’t you know that that’s the plan 🙂

Saying that, we had a contender for worst kit ever when we went with luminous orange a while back. Since then it’s always been some combination of plain green and white. We learned our lesson 🙂

Come on, let’s see Origi

Jeremy 🙂 the cunning plan of the Irish 🙂

Really enjoyable game this and now Origi is on for Lukaku!

I wonder why De Bruyne has been so poor, he is a wonderful player

That was worth watching

Night all

39. fatgingergooner says:

Tournament starts proper after everyone has played once. First games tend to be cagey.
    Not really any shocks so far either which takes away from the enjoyment.

Got to say the standard of refs has been decent so far though. Hope that continues.

Best game so far last night. Another ex-AFC man in Tommy Vermælen,

Italy’s central defenders were superb

fattie is right, this tournament needs spicing up, a few shockers are needed. Like England winning convincingly, or Krauts losing every game, or Northern Ireland finishing top. yeah, that would be fun

oh, oh fattie, it can get very exciting yet. the organizers are seriously considering kicking Russia and England out of the tournament. They have enough on their hands with the terrorist threat without the fans causing havoc

Why Russians against the English???

43. TotalArsenal says:

Morning AAers 😀

I don’t know how many Gooners have told me that we should replace Girouf with world class strikers like Kane or Lukaku. Now we have seen them all play for the national teams, you can see how good Ollie really is in allowing a team to play football around him whilst having a meaningful threat himself simultaneously. Lukaku was incredibly poor in shielding the ball, anticipating where the space would be and linking up with the other attackers; and when he had chances he fluffed his lines time and again. Kane will have his moments and should develop further, as he is still young, but England are taking a big risk to centre the attack around him this tournament.

Last night’s game suited the cynical Italians to the bone, and it tells us a lot of what we can expect from the Chavs next season. Yes they defended well and the Belgians ran into their knives time and again, but I want to see them play when they need to attack and make play. The Belgians lacked confidence and cohesion which comes as a result of lack of big tournament experience as well as not playing Dembele for some reason, but you can tell they wanted to play football which goes a long way for me. And the way the Italians cynically chopped down every break away towards the end of the game, resulting in a number of yellow cards, did not impress me. But yes it was a good game to watch 😀

TA. Italy reminded me of the early George Graham Arsenal team which was perhaps why I enjoyed the game. Keown, Adams, Bould and O’Leary, all top CB’s.

As much as I love attacking football there is something to be said for no-nonsense defending.

Morning all

Agree with comments so far.

I did like the Italians 3-5-2

I do think the competition, so far, lacks top strikers who have everything

46. TotalArsenal says:

Raddy 😀

Yes from a defensive discipline point of view it was a treat, and to keep the likes of Hazard, De Bruine and Lukaku quiet is an achievement.

Micky, maybe single top strikers are a thing of the past. 😚

47. fatgingergooner says:

This tournament will show us what we already know about Giroud, that he’s one of the top strikers in Europe. What it won’t show though is how he goes missing for 3 months every season.

Away from the obvious targets (Lewandowski, Morata etc) the players I’m interested to see more of are:-

Milik (Poland/Ajax)
    Kokorin (Russia/Zenit)
    Perisic (Croatia/Inter)
    Brozovic (Croatia/Zagreb)
    Nolito (Spain/Celta Vigo)

I am hoping for a sneaky peek at Vardy 🙂

Total

Re your “Micky, maybe single top strikers are a thing of the past.”

I have been a long advocate of 3-5-2, and certainly I think Ollie would benefit. I’m not saying we should build a system around Ollie’s weaknesses, but the lone striker boots are enormous boots to fill at the very highest level, and failing landing a Terry Henry, then I’d be pleased with a 3-5-2

Nice one Sepp 🙄

“Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter claims some European draws were fixed using “hot and cold balls”.

Blatter, who is appealing a six-year ban from football imposed by FIFA and being investigated as part of a probe into claims of corruption during his tenure at the governing body, insists no draw at world level was rigged.

In an interview with an Argentine newspaper, he claimed he witnessed the trick being employed “at European level”, but did not elaborate.

“I never touched the balls,” he told La Nacion. “Of course, you can mark them (by) heating them or cooling them.

“I witnessed draws at the European level where that happened. But never at FIFA. Of course it can be done”

By the end of today, dedicated followers will have seen all teams in action (not me), so unless there any eagle eyed witnesses to all games out there, I’ll knock out a quick “What do we think so far?” post for tomorrow

52. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, they all go missing during a season, but we suffered more because Alexis and Theo did not help much watering the drought. I have always felt we couldn’t afford to let Podolski go without decent replacement, and whether through Vardy or ANother, Wenger seems keen to address out shortcomings in attack.

53. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, I reckon we play effectively with two central attackers anyway. If opponents have to face two out of Giroud, Alexis, Vardy(?), and at some point Welbz again, they will be craping themselves…

And let’s face it, Total, three defenders is more than enough

Up 3-5-2 🙂

55. TotalArsenal says:

Would love to try it, Mickster.

Gabby – Xhaka – Koz
    Bel – Coq – Elneny – Ozil – Nacho
    ——- two up top ————

Or, and ideally:

Gabby Xhaka Koz
    Rambo Santi Elneny Ozil Jack
    ——– two up top —————-

Mr X at the back eh?
    As long as he can get well forward to shoot 🙂

Bloody difficult to rustle up any enthusiasm for Hungary Austria

Portugal, a little easier

It’s a little unexpected but the first 10 minutes of the Hungary Austria game have been quite exciting.

Just a random comment………

I’ve been blogging in it’s various forms since the mid 90’s and the fact is that AA remains the best blog I’ve participated in. The main reason for that is the quality of the bloggers and the fact that discussions, even when there are conflicting opinions, are kept civil.

I blog far less these days as the amount of negativity expressed has taken away a lot of my enjoyment. Many sites thrive and survive based on negativity and therefore attract like minded bloggers. Although AA has a few posters who by nature dwell on the negative the main dialogue is positive and one feels less threatened by expressing a diverse opinion.

In my own rambling way I simply want to express my thanks to you all for the intelligent, positive and humorous comments plus many superb headline posts.

Even though I comment less I read your posts and comments every day – and take the negative comments with a pinch of salt………

GN5

Welll said GN5, who is your script writer 😉 ?

GN5. Thank you. Throughout the past year we have had many bloggers complain about the people who work hard to keep AA flourishing..

It is rare that we get compliments (blush blush)

Good game this. Hungary unexpectedly deserving of the points

Raddy,

You have always been on my list of must read posters.

64. Shall I take LB’s comment off for a post?

I see Micky has offered one for tomorrow – thank you Micky

GN5 – everyone that puts time into the blog either as a writer, commentator or administrator does so to keep the blog going. We should all appreciate each other for their contribution and you are included in that. Thank you

The games here are shown live at 9:00am, 12;00pm and 3:00pm and given that they are reasonable times I’ve watched every game.

The big surprise to me was just how good the Italians looked – particularly in defence, if they retain that form throughout the competition they will be hard to beat.

Portugal, Germany and Spain also look like strong contenders.

Peaches, I appreciate your comment, maybe one of these fine days I’ll submit a post.

I don’t know what to make of one comment so I’ll use a pinch of salt…………….

Quick evening all

Peaches,
    Please do take LB’s comment. I have seen so little that am hardly an expert, not that usually stops me 🙂

Hahaaa, Iceland have equalised 🙂 I’m a dedicated Iceland supporter this evening

Has anyone else noticed that the referees seem to be much more tolerant of ‘physical challenges’ than in previous ECs?

name the player

I see LB’s comment has gone. Phew, only just woke up.

Name the player. What kind of bird is that. A dull jay?

Film, Midnight Express?

Terry Butcher?

77. chas mobile says:

Tick

House Martin Keown?

As I have an Icelandic daughter-in-law and grand daughter there was much celebration in the Raddy household last night.

10k Icelanders in the ground which is a massive % of the population. There are a little over 300k of them so this is the equivalent of about 2 million Brits going to a a game to support their team or 6m Americans or 24m Indians!!

And it isn’t even their national sport which is troll hunting

To those of you who like the sound of summer to have come from the West Indies can I recommend a show on BBC Iplayer called “Levi Roots: The Best of Trojan Records”?

Great for a jaunty walk around town and Levi Roots is a big Gooner

“And it isn’t even their national sport which is troll hunting”

ha ha ha

82. TotalArsenal says:

Never hunt a troll however desperate you are

83. TotalArsenal says:

Love the Icelandic supporters, Raddy, and what a great fighting spirit on the pitch. Ronaldo’s face towards the end was bloody brilliant; he looked thoroughly trolled! 😝

TA. That he did.

Unlike many I have huge admiration for Ronaldo who IMO is the best footballer I have seen since Maradona (maybe better). Put him in the red and white and we win the PL and CL.

And unbeknown to many who focus purely upon his arrogance gives huge swathes of his income to children’s charities.

Sorry I forgot I was sorting LB’s comment for a post …………… back in a few minutes ……………..

Tough start to the season. Liverpool at home followed by an away trip to the Champions.

87. fatgingergooner says:

Tough start to the season! We need to be right on it after pre season and we need to hope the likes of Sanchez and Özil are well rested after the Copa and Euro’s.

For the first time in ages though we do have good fixtures following CL games.

Hull A

Bournemouth A

Tough end of season

Spurs A
    United H
    Stoke A
    Everton H

89. I think I’ve just published a New Post …………….