Time for Welbeck

Off Target

6 – 6

Corners

7 – 3

Press Conference:-

on a much-needed win…
It was much wanted and much needed. It was difficult. We played against a team who were very well organised. We didn’t find a good pace in our game but we were serious and organised, and in the end we got the win. In the first half we needed to be patient, and we needed Petr once or twice. In the second half, it was a deserved win against a team that fights not to go down. It was a typical game that you get. We played Sunderland and Norwich and got two similar games.

Unknown-1.jpeg

on Wenger getting cheers from the fans…
It was a bit of a strange atmosphere. We have to live with that. Some fans were protesting, yes, but a big majority didn’t and the big majority was behind the team. They showed that they appreciate what I’ve done until now, so it’s alright. It was a difficult atmosphere yes, but we have just to live with that, give more, focus on our performance and try to make 100 per cent of our fans happy. That’s our target.
on who the atmosphere was difficult for…
The game was difficult in itself and the atmosphere was alright. I think the fans were behind the team and I believe as well we had not the stylish performance that could raise people off their seats. We had a serious and studious performance, a bit subdued at stages. We wanted absolutely to win the game and we did it.
on if he was aware of the ‘one Arsène Wenger’ chants…
During the game? Yes.
on if he was emotional at that point…
No, I was focused on the game. My job is to win football games, so once the game starts, I focus on that. You can do both – you can appreciate and focus on the game.
on acknowledging the chant…
Yes, I did.
on Alexis not being happy at coming off…
No. My job is to make decisions and there again, to get [everyone] 100 per cent happy is very difficult.
on Alexis walking straight down the tunnel…
I honestly didn’t see it. At that stage I was more worried to keep the 1-0 and I didn’t see it.
on if support today vindicating belief that vast majority of fans are behind Wenger…
I don’t know. I’m a professional who has given 19 years to this club and tries to give the best for the club. I have to accept the judgment of people. The only thing I don’t doubt is my sincere commitment to the club. After, I’m sorry if I can’t keep [everyone] 100 per cent happy, but maybe it’s as well because we have been remarkably consistent. This season is a bit special because we were in a position for a long time where our fans believed we could win the league. We didn’t, so that’s why I think it’s more disappointed love than real aggression. We have to accept that because we are a bit in the same situation.
on Arsenal scoring less goals this season than last season…
What the problem we have faced this season is exactly the same problem we had today. We lost in the first game of the season against a team who sat very deep and didn’t come out. After that, all the teams came here and sat very deep. We did not find a way, in the air or on the ground, to score goals. Today again, I think once we were 1-0 up, there were more goals in the game for us, but we couldn’t finish the game off. You can always be caught back. Crystal Palace was 1-1. But I agree with you that we have not solved that problem against teams that sit deep. Why did we have fantastic results against the teams at the top of the table? Because they come out more, they play more and the game was more side to side. We had the problem that we couldn’t solve this season against teams who sit in front of their box.

on that happening despite having lots of creative players…
We analysed that many times. At the moment we have to finish as well as we can.

Player Ratings taken from the Daily Mail:-

Cech 7.5

Bellerin 6.5

Koscielny 7

Mertersacker 6.5 (Paulista 6.5)

Monreal 6.5

Ramsey 6.5

Elneny 7

Iwobi 6.5 (Welbeck 8)

Sanchez 6.5 (Coquelin 6)

Özil 7

Giroud 6.5

Unknown-1.jpeg

Wenger’s 750th PL game in charge of Arsenal will be remembered more for banners than it will for the football. Two banners spring to mind, one said ‘Proud of Arsene, Ashamed of Fans’ and the other read ‘no further alcohol will be sold at today’s fixture’. There were some others too but they were less memorable!

On the field Arsenal dominated the ball as expected but once again were up against a team who were happy to pack the edge of their own box and work hard to limit the space. In fairness to Norwich they did actually show some attacking intent and played very well. Im not sure what the answer is to break down teams that sit deep and defend as a unit, and with Leicester winning the league and Atletico taking on the worlds best in the CL, I’m not sure other teams know either. Thankfully, on this occasion, Wenger made a game winning substitution and we came away with 3 very important points.

Stats compiled by fgg

215 Responses to Time for Welbeck

1. njstone9 says:

Maybe we need to play a bit deeper as well, try to lure the opposition out more to create the space.

We don’t want the league to turn into a masterclass of defensive football like the Italian leagues of old.

I’d be interested to see how we compare with the other top teams in terms of chances created and scored versus the park the bus teams.

Have Leicester prospered by being considered an “expected win” by many other teams who have played too openly against them?

Wenger says we need to finish better after speaking about the analysis done so possibly he thinks chance creation is less of an issue compared with other teams.

FGG. Thank you.

Didit made a good observation (unlikely as it seems) when stating that his expectation levels have dropped which allows him to watch the game in a more relaxed manner.

I really enjoyed the game, especially the second half. What I did not enjoy was our reticence to shoot. I would far rather a shot ballooned over the bar than lose the ball on another of those intricate passing movements on the oppositions 12 yard line.

Nice one Ginge, and I quite like that style of summary, gets right to the key points. 🙂

Agreed, Raddy.

The game was important for the win, but it all seems very flat after I honestly thought we would do it this year.

Your point about ‘shooting’ is apt, and we seem to have moved away from that after Rambo was injured (he always like to shoot – sometimes row z but … )

Personally, I think the only player who caught the eye yesterday was El Neny, he did take a shot on when the occasion appeared, and again, even if he was off target it was good to see.

The lack of quality crosses from the wings made Giro’s situation impossible as the ball always seemed to soar over his head.
    Sanchez and Iwobi cutting in from the wings has its place, but they seemed to do it all the time, and the crosses from others seemed pretty poor.

But there are two things I want from games, the first is, I want Arsenal to win, and I would also like Arsenal to play entertaining football.
    At heart, a win comes first every time – the entertainment will come when we win that bloody title. 😀

RA. Agreed. It frustrates me that fans blame OG for having another terrible game when the poor chap spent the whole game chasing inaccurate crosses and passes. His only chance was blocked and then he set up the goal.

Not that I want him in my first team!

6. fatgingergooner says:

BR,
    I would agree with that. After the Swansea game I was pissed, but with the PL gone I’m finding I can watch without frustration. Taking the emotion out of it is allowing me the opportunity to think about where I sit with Wenger, and although I’ve previously said otherwise in moments of frustration, I’m actually happy for him to continue next season. Ultimately we are talking about a man who has taken Arsenal to another level. A man who gave us something that no other manager will probably do in my lifetime, an Invincible team. For that alone, he gets a free pass. I also think that if you are looking to get rid of someone who has won 2 FA Cups in 3 seasons then you are making it very difficult for the next man in. I have no doubt that when Wenger leaves we will go backwards before we go forwards, but that’s just my opinion.

I can understand the frustration and feel it myself sometimes, but you can’t say consistently finishing in the top 4 is not an achievement. Over a period of 20 years, it’s unbelievable, but consistency is boring (unless you’re 1st!) and people get comfortable in it. Maybe when we eventually drop out of the top 4, which will happen, people will realise just what an achievement it is.

Wenger has his flaws, no doubt about that, but he has been a great servant to this football club and no amount of banners or paper will change that.

FGG. Well said

8. Shard says:

Thanks fgg. I like the format.

On Giroud, I liked that he also was prepared to ‘hit back’ at the fans by cupping his ears after that assist. He’s not in the greatest of forms and if there weren’t concerns about Welbeck’s knee and general fitness, then I would pick him to start ahead of Giroud at this point of time. But Giroud is a fighter and he never quits trying. People get carried away by his body language where he’s apparently a quitter because he complains ‘too much’, but that guy is a true fighter. He’s good at what he does, limited though his skillset is, and he’ll keep coming back for more until it works out for him. Definitely worth keeping in the squad, even if we’re all looking for an upgrade and someone with different traits.

9. Shard says:

Where are the “Alexis wants to leave!” blog posts? Maybe they’re too embarrassed to show their face after the way the protests went?

BY the way, is Lee Dixon employed as a commentator for football games, or as a psychological expert? They spent all game essentially ignoring the action on the field and talking all about Wenger’s body language, what the Arsenal fans think, what the players’ team spirit is like. Apparently they never talk to each other on the field, which is a lie because last time around apparently team spirit was broken because Ramsey and Per(or Coquelin) had an argument on the pitch. While our play hasn’t been ‘good’, following the commentators makes it appear far worse than it is. Like the general situation around Arsenal.

the new figure to be bandied around is 12!!! Whereas Liverpool’s figure… Shhhhhh.. Spurs?? Shhhhh (and they haven’t blown the title race. Neither have City or ManU, or Chelsea. Only Arsenal have blown the title race)

Thanks FGG, I like your style 🙂

The first half was pretty tepid by any judgement and Norwich created the best chances. We were better in the second half but only came to life when Welbeck arrived on the pitch. He was MoTM on Sky and BBC despite only being on the pitch for only 25 minutes.

How can one player make such a difference? Because he’s strong, quick, direct and positive in his play and he works bloody hard – like the entire Leicester team. Bellerin, Nacho and Elneny put in maximum effort for most of most games too.

But when we were 1 up, we lost possession a couple of times deep in their half and our midfield was trotting back whilst Norwich were 3 on 3 against our defenders – unforgiveable.

I hope Arsene shows them the video and tells them that at 1 nil up with 10 minutes to go, they have to put in maximum effort!

11. Janman says:

I would like to ask what determines the success or failure of Mr. Wenger. What standard are the fans using to determine this. Is it results related only, trophies only or the overall success and financial stability of the club? Is the club really in such a bad state as some people would believe? Or are they simply frustrated because we have not won the EPL in 12 years? However is that a measurable tool for the overall success of the club when you consider we have never finished outside of the top 4 under Mr. Wengers leadership and have qualified for the CL every year for 19 seasons. We could still finish 2nd in the EPL this year would that still mean we are unsuccessful and a club in crisis?

Cheers, FGG.
    What I want to know is, what the hell is Wenger making a substitution in the 56th minute. Chuffin madness. 🙂

I found this interesting re: Leicester’s achievement.
    Almost a perfect correlation of wage spend and League champ status until Leicester upset the applecart.

From the Daily Fascist.
    “The more you spend on wages, the higher you finish. That’s become a fact in the Premier League with the highest few spenders finishing in the top few places between them for two decades now, as our graphic shows. The winner has never come from outside the top five wage spenders, and not from outside the top THREE spenders for the past 17 years. So for Leicester to win – a team highly likely to rank inside the BOTTOM five wage spenders this season – is extraordinary.”

That’s an interesting schedule, Chasser.

Unlike machines that are manufactured to a limited ± tolerance of each other, human beings just do not conform to any such parameters — except your schedule would indicate success/reward are closely related. Until Leics!

Next year all the best Leics players will go to bigger clubs and individually they will return to the ‘norm’ rewards, while Leics, the team, will not maintain their current position. Will they? 😀

Janman,

It is difficult to gauge how fans judge the teams success or lack of it, and that in turn reflects on what is expected of Arsene Wenger.

Watching as a young man the George Graham era, I was delirious at the trophy wins ‘Boring, boring Arsenal’ managed, but then I was known to say “but the football was crap’.

With Gorgeous George I loved the success, but did not like the entertainment, with Arsene, I have loved the entertainment, and was satisfied with top four finishes.

As the years have gone by, I have become complaisant about the ‘expected’ top four finishes, but less happy when the entertainment started to diminish.

I am a human being and subject to as many vagaries as the next man – so I cannot give you a definitive answer to your question, “what determines the success or failure of the manager” as it is intrinsically linked to the team, which depends on the quality of the team players, who determine the success in winning trophies, or not.

Do you have a definition? 😀

15. VP of Oz says:

The pundits have been scathing in their criticisms of Arsenal and Arsene yet the consensus at the start of the season was that 90% of them thought Arsenal would finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th.
    Only 4 of them thought Arsenal should win it.
    Arsenal in crisis?

Who will win it this time? We asked 30 BBC TV and radio pundits, presenters and commentators for their one-two-three-four prediction ahead of the new campaign, and for an explanation of their selection.

Predictor 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
    Didi Hamann Arsenal Chelsea Man Utd Man City
    Trevor Sinclair Arsenal Chelsea Man City Man Utd
    Dion Dublin Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal Liverpool
    Steve Wilson Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal Man City
    Chris Waddle Man City Chelsea Arsenal Man Utd
    Alistair Mann Man City Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal
    Only five teams feature in the predictions and, with 22 votes, Chelsea are the overwhelming favourites to retain their title. Four votes went to Arsenal and two apiece to Manchester United and Manchester City.

16. Janman says:

Hello RA. That is exactly my point. Many of us are old enough to have experienced several different versions of the joys and sorrows of following our beloved Arsenal FC. Therefore many of us have different interpretations of the definition of success. I would love nothing more than to win everything that is on offer year in year out but we do not have an automatic right to do that. Would I like for us to win the league and trophies more often than we do, of course I would, that is the definition of the football fan in me. However, the common sense human being in me is grateful for everything that we have achieved as a football club prior, during and after the reign of Mr. Wenger. Arsenal FC is a club to respect and be proud of!

Quite right!

Don’t always believe everything a pundit an ex player says

Result: Swansea 3 : 1 Liverpool

So it is not just Arsenal who struggle with ‘lowly’ Swansea.

And I don’t need to tell you to never listen to an ex Spud Manager

21. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Gary Lineker ✔ ‎@GaryLineker
    Claudio Ranieri? Really?
    5:24 PM – 13 Jul 2015
    8,898 8,898 Retweets 4,975 4,975 likes

22. fatgingergooner says:

Good point for Leicester. Don’t see Spurs beating Chelsea as the blues will be up for that one. Saints getting points off City would be nice.

Hindsight eh!

Would love it, just love it, if Chavs beat Spurs tomorrow.

MC playing their reserves … €50+m Sterling, €30m+ Bony , €35m+ Mangala etc etc

…and losing to S’pton 🙂

Raddy – nothing wrong with flaunting if you’ve got it. I wish AW followed suit from time to time and bought expensive experienced players

26. wally says:

Janman asks what defines success. Simple.
    Success is when you consistently perform to the maximum of your ability.
    Can we say the team has done that?
    Can we say the team is getting closer to it?
    Can we say the team has done that the last 5 years?

Wally I think in the last 5 years we can actually, I don’t think at the start of any of the last 5 seasons we have thought we have had a squad capable of winning the title. This season was probably different, but then Chavs, ManUre, City, Liverpool have all had the same affliction this season.

If we beat AV we are guaranteed top 4.

Smashing weekend all round.

Jon’s (older bro’s) reply to the A4 protest made it to the Sky analysis section!

The weekend that just keeps on giving.

Good read Slim, thanks.

31. wally says:

GIE,
    I’m unsure about the last 5.
    I look at what happened to manure when ferguson left. They were exposed for what they were, a whole lot of mediocrity. He was able to get more than they were capable of doing. He clearly got more out of less.
    Can we say the same?
    I look at chelsea this year. From champions to crap. Were they crap last year too? What happened to them? I don’t have answer for that one. But the mouth’s role in both success and disaster was significant.
    Clearly, from chelsea and manure’s results we can see the impact of the manager.
    Which begs the question, has our manager been making the sum of our parts better or not?

32. Aaron says:

BETTER!

33. JM says:

Quoted ~ “An assist = A goal”

AW on Welbeck:
    “You could see he is a different animal again.”

Danny Welbeck’s attack efficiency in PL:
    (4 goals, 2 assists, 554mins, 10apps, 6.16Actual games played) = 0.97 GA/app (Good efficiency)

*worth close to either a goal or an assist every game he has played.

AW on Giroud:
    “Today he gave an assist, I put that in the same category as a goal.”

Quoted ~ “Ask not what The Arsenal can do for me/you/us; Ask what I/you/we can do for The Arsenal.”

is the morning crew on a strike? what do you want – better blogging conditions?

Give us a story, Eddie.

story…..no, I cannot think of any. Apart from a constant battle against dodgy ‘builders’ I didn’t engage in any drama.

oh yeah, I had an Albanian painter. Well, he claimed to be a painter, but I reckon my dogs can do a better job. Last Monday I told him to get lost. He went, but left his brushes in my driveway. I moved them to one side and when he came to collect them he couldn’t find them. He called me a very bad woman and I told him that ‘if you don’t go right now you fat bastard I’m calling police’. He went but his cousin came back for the brushes, polite guy. I showed him where they were and showed what the fat bastard did. He made me laugh when he said in his broken English that he is sorry ‘the fat bastard let me down’ and if I wanted him to put it right. I said no, but laughed that he was calling the ‘painter’ fat bastard too 🙂

Eddie. 7.09 What are you offering?

Haha, looks like quite a good job to me.

Chelsea v totts on Sky, AGAIN!!!

terrific job

raddy – I have a job I could offer you. Mostly building and gardening, I pay well but demand high standards and slim waistline

Eddie. I have one of those requirements .

waistline? that will do :):)

what result do we want tonight? cannot stand chavs winning, but it would be good for us. Mind you, do I care if Spurs finish above us? Not really, as long as they didn’t win the league for 54 years and are not going to win it this year again, I can stomach them being above us, just. But a draw would probably be best, 4 all, both teams trying their best and throwing all at the opponents and both failing to win 🙂

45. Fat Plumber says:

Eddie

That skirting board looks a bit dodgy…. 1cm gap between floor boards. The electric socket as well….. there are regulations for the distance from floor…….. looks like shoddy work all round.

Tottingham to lose for me.
    Draw second best.

Spud sending off would be nice plus a ban for Vertonghen for being Vertonghen.

fat plumber – absolutely. That was a handiwork of a polish carpenter, many years ago. Are you really a plumber? I need a gas cert

What’s wrong with Vertohghen, except the unpronounceable name?

48. Fat Plumber says:

Yes but you won’t like my waistline 🙂

Have to agree with Fat Plumber. Shoddy work – I wouldn’t pay for it.

8.46. Is that RA (on the left) ?

Morning all, today I is a chelsea supporter 😆

…. and a blog assassin 🙂

Would be nice if the Chavs put one over the Totts

Nice in several ways. Obviously they won’t win the league and also we will only be 2 points behind them. If we beat City and Villa, they will be playing the toon in the last game who may need to win to stay in the EPL. How sweet it would be to snatch 2nd place in the last game of the season.

Let’s assume that Spurs lose at Newc & tonight. They will beat Southampton next w/e and have a better GD than us.

So victories at MC and home to AV is the only way we can get 2nd.

We have done it before …

No Raddy, they are only 2 points ahead of us. If they lose tonight we will both have 2 games left. We only need to win one more game than them to be clear by 1 point.

Saints away is a tough fixture. We could lose to city and still finish ahead of them if they lose both games.

The nightmare scenario would be if we win both and they get a win and a draw as they will do us on GD as you say.

Ooo good. Evening KO.

Erik, if Spuds lose the title tonight, I can see them losing to Toon AND Southampton. They will be distraught, which will not be at all funny

Mind you, I’m with Eddie on this one.

As long as Leicester win the league, I’ll be ok. If we do end above them, then two days of laughing not just the one

Over and out

61. njstone9 says:

Sadly I think they will be extremely motivated to finish above us for the first time in two decades so most likely they will get the results to do that. As for the title, they must surely already be resigned to their fate there?

Raddy,

If that guy in the ‘photo had longer hair he could be an ugly ringer for me! 😀

You will all have different thoughts on the “banner” pro and against Wenger and in all honesty it was a very small section of the crowd and in fact I haven’t heard the fans so vocal when they were chanting Wenger’s name, which to be honest surprised me,but maybe people generally are just being decent and though there is an ever growing amount of people who are getting , shall we say frustrated with the team and the manager they at least showed dignity,something Arsenal are famous for.
    By all accounts AW will honour his contract and stay for one more season.

On a personal level,I see that fraught with problems but what do you guys think ? I maybe completely wrong.

kelsey

I think the anti-Wenger ‘fans’ are so entrenched now that there will be further unrest until AW leaves.

What Saturday seemed to tell us is that a majority of fans attending the Emirates stadium will not join in and will show our ‘most successful manager ever’ (copyright GN5 🙂 ) the respect he deserves.

As far as I’m concerned that was the wonderfully positive outcome from a protest designed to have the opposite effect.
    I’m pleased that Arsenal fans still have the capacity to be classy and some of the hideous things I’ve seen from the protest morons come from such a small minority.

65. Kelsey, we have our differences over Arsenal but I really appreciate your comment

Arsene Is a legend and will always command the respect and appreciation of the majority, even those who would prefer he leave this summer

And why not. Values of decency, appreciation, and respect are healthy. In fact, it’s the lack of these traits from certain people that has wound me up, not wether anyone thinks his time is up or not

Going one step further I would add that the debate on his future is also healthy. We are after all just fans and want the best for our club, so if that means advocating a change of manager then I will respect and even encourage people to express there views

From a personal point of view, my stance on Arsene will never change. I will never slander or denigrate him, he’s done to much for the Club for me to do that. If say next season we are terrible and languishing near the bottom of the league, I will know for sure his time is up. But it won’t stop me invading the pitch and carrying him off the pitch up high.

The man deserves that

66. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t for a second believe the percentage of people that want Wenger out is as small as the amount that waved poxy banners at the weekend. Apparently there were also a lot of empty seats (anyone verify this?) which probably says more than a piece a4 ever will. My belief is that even though a lot of fans want Wenger out they still have a lot of respect for the man and know that protests are not the way to go. For obvious reasons I think we need to have a strong pre season in the market and on the field and hopefully that will carry over to the start of the PL and maybe create a positive atmosphere for those that still want to support, which is the majority. I’m not worried about next season as I still believe we have a quality squad that can only improve, and if we are beaten to the trophies by the likes of City, Chelsea and United because they’ve blown billions on players then nobody will have much of a problem with that. If City and Chelsea were above us this season I don’t think we’d even be having these discussions.

67. There were empty seats Ginge, but nothing extraordinary, apart from the big games, there’s always empty seats..

One things for sure. All the die hard moaners turned up alright, it was there chance to show there anger

They got what they deserved. Humiliation and a dose of reality

If, like kelsey, you would like AW to step down then you will inevitably assume your point of view is held by a majority of the fans. However, the same is also true of those who want him to stay!

Does it matter? Whether the fans are happy or not will have no effect upon the BoD. Especially now the new TV deal is in place.

Whilst AW has the job he has my 100% support as will any future Arsenal manager (unless we get Merino or Hughes or Allardyce or Pulis or Pardew or Rogers or Moyes or Simeone or Benitez ++++)

5.19. Vicious looking little bugger. A natural born killer.

BR
    I’d love all of those managers if they became ours.

Chas and the Hippy Bandit,

And there are thousands more on the blogs who know far more than Wenger ever has or ever will, and believe they should be given the job instead of him — and they call him deluded? Jeez.

That poor little kat seems to have one duff eye – I think he is gorgeous! 🙂

That cat is 20 years old and deaf, RA.

For those who have not already seen it, here is an interesting article from The Telegraph.

The Telegraph:

“The protests of the Arsenal fans who called for change during the victory over Norwich City will fall on deaf ears with manager Arsene Wenger poised to retain complete control of all player and football staff matters at the club next season.

Although there is a growing feeling inside the Emirates that next season will be Wenger’s last in charge at Arsenal, the Frenchman will not be asked to relinquish any power while he remains as manager.

Wenger is already working on the players he wants to sign and let go for next season, and his authority extends much further than first-team matters as the 66-year-old is also taking an active and decisive role in a revamp of the club’s youth set-up.

Owner Stan Kroenke, who was also a target of protests outside the Emirates on Saturday, still trusts Wenger’s judgement and will not force any appointments on the club’s most successful manager.

The news will further frustrate the supporters who displayed placards that read ‘time for change’ and Wenger knows that the only way he will win over his critics is by securing a first Premier League title since 2004.

Asked whether or not he agreed with the sentiment that something needs to change for Arsenal to win the league again, Wenger replied: “I am not specialist enough to analyse that. I just think that we are here to give our best. We have been remarkably consistent at the top.

There are disappointed people because we didn’t win the league. Believe me, we are as well. We have to come back and win it and that is all we can do.”

Wenger was boosted by the fact that the protest also sparked loud chants of ‘one Arsene Wenger’, but he insisted he is willing to accept the criticism as long as it does not turn into abuse.

“From what I was told, I thought the whole stadium would be white (with placards),” said Wenger.

“I am in a public job and I have to live with judgement as long as it is respectful. If it is only opinion, we have all to accept that because we are in a public job.”

There was, however, some good news for the fans who want a change of manager, when it was put to Wenger that even Sir Alex Ferguson went through more than one spell when Manchester United fans called for him to go.

“I give my best for this club,” said Wenger. “You don’t spend 19 years at a club – like Sir Alex Ferguson spent 27 – without every minute of your time, you give your whole life for that and try to do as well as possible. One target is to keep 100 per cent of people happy. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do that this season.

Asked if he could do 27 years at Arsenal, Wenger added: “No, no, never. Don’t worry.”

Wenger was spared any vicious criticism from his own fans by substitute Danny Welbeck’s goal that secured a vital win against Norwich in a game in which the visitors went close on two occasions through Nathan Redmond.

While the frustrations of the fans are understandable to those who have followed Arsenal closely for some time, it must be baffling for opposition supporters to see protests at a club that is still on course to qualify for the Champions League for a 19th successive season.

For those less well disposed to Arsene, please skip this comment – for the others, it is just another article from a journalist who is observing the inexplicable upset at the club.

Don’t take the word of the angry social media mob

If social media was to be believed last week, Arsene Wenger would barely have been able to leave his dugout at the Emirates against Norwich for fear of being lynched by his own supporters.

The Arsenal fans, we were told, had had enough and wanted to see the manager leave, and possibly be subjected to a public flogging for crimes against football.

As it turned out though, Saturday’s protests such as they were fell rather flat, with the ‘Time for Change’ message sounding like a vacuous American Presidential campaign slogan.

When the pre-designated protest point of the 12th minute arrived, the smattering of half-hearted boos and raising of printed sheets of paper were more than matched by chants of ‘there’s only one Arsene Wenger’.

The mixed response to the protest demonstrated that in reality the feeling at the Emirates is a lot more nuanced than social media would have us believe.

Yes, there are plenty of fans who want to see Wenger leave, but there are also many who think it should be up to him when he goes, and some who think he is still the best man for the job.

Social media being misleading is hardly a revelation – after all if it did reflect reality there would not be a single journalist who is not stealing a living, Joey Barton would be the philosopher du jour and Piers Morgan would be the most influential man in the world – and there’s an element of people wilfully buying into the Twitter clamour despite knowing it’s not the whole truth.

The Arsenal Twitterati’s ‘Wenger Out’ campaign plays in perfectly to many observers perception of Arsenal as a spoiled brat of a club whose anguish at finishing third scarcely engenders much sympathy when set against the background of what is happening for instance at Charlton, Aston Villa and Leeds.

But just as ArsenalFan TV does not reflect the typical supporter, Twitter tells us only that the most vociferous group of fans wants a change of manager.

If Saturday’s protests achieved anything, it was to remind us that there are other voices worth listening to besides the angry social media mob.

How others see us!

Many of us think just like me,Raddy..My main concern is if AW stays and fulfils his contract i think there will be very little spending in the Summer on the assumption that the following Summer, a new,hopefully younger man,would stay with the principles laid down but would want to bring in his own players and make his own mark.
    However I do agree and said earlier that protests are not the way forward and not the Arsenal way but they will continue to grow regardless where we finish this season.

As I said, Chas, he is gorgeous – and I feel bad for his little friend, with all those teeth marks bullet holes in him.

I once had a white cat, not knowing that nearly all white cats are congenitally deaf. He was lovely too, and made up for not hearing by being amazingly alert. 🙂

Ahhhhh.

My cat is 20 years old and is as deaf as a post.

I suppose the up side to a Spurs win tonight, would be Leicester could win the league at home in front of their own fans

A Norwich fan said that to me at the gym this morning and I replied that I hoped the spuds got battered.
    Still every cloud.

Chas
    It’s my defence mechanism

Always good to have one.
    If the spuds do win, we can always console ourselves with the fact that the chavs lost (again).

Micky, give us a tune to put us in the mood for the match.

I’m bored with this Sky pre-amble.

See, It works and you are one step ahead of me. Hadn’t thought of that.

I am, of course, with you on the battering. Practically blinded by the silver linings now 🙂

Can’t. Trying to feed on the hoof in time for ko

Those Poles know how to use flares….

The Furs?

Bauhaus’ Ziggy. You likey?

Excellent!

he he he

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, YEAH

Bastard!

You asked for it
    Nearly there now

proper ejeets, the game was called off

Phil Collins was for Erik and people like that 🙂

lots of good music clips here, but Oasis for me any day of the week. No idea why, but I just love them

micky 🙂

Chelsea are on a mission to stop Totts winning the league, apparently. And Cesc is the gangleader tonight, so at least something rubbed off during his stay with us.

BTW I cannot find a suitable spot for Cesc signed photo. Cannot part with it as it is a reminder of some good game days, yet he somehow doesn’t fit with the décor. Shed, garden shed maybe

Edddiieeee

Let’s enjoy Spurs blowing it 🙂

Hang him in the kazi Eddie 🙂

Eddie
    re the cesc photo. You need closure. Make a bomb and blow the bloody thing up.

Hello Rasp

Right. Stream

feisty feisty 🙂 my type of game

did Cesc say what’s wrong with Vertongel?

What does it say about me as a man when I’m thinking “come on JT” every time chavs get a corner or free kick? 🙂

Hi Micky, great to watch a game where all outcomes have a plus 😦 having said that I can see this being a draw

not cesc, did chas say what’s wrong with Vertongel

Apparently Fabregas is not popular in the chelski dressing room

I can see chave winning tonight, totts are struggling

Eddie
    Chas was saying Vertongel was a cheat 🙂

I can’t see this game ending with 22 on the pitch

I can’t believe you compared me to Cesc. 😦

119. I’m here too. Come on Chelsea – kinda sticks in the throat, can’t stand the lot of them.

Mind you there was a bit of class, loved the A4 ‘let’s do it for Ranieri’ 🙂

Vertongel, not just a cheat but a Belgian (wannabe French) spud cheat…..

Oh Cesc, you snake in sheep’s clothing.

Come on Diego and John 🙂

I see, Vertongel is a scumbag all right.

Used to like the P. Furs. And Mr Collins.

Come on Chavs

go away Raddy, it was all going well until you turned up

Leicester to win it home it is then

127. Oh for goodness sake Chelsea, you’re bloody hopeless 😦

Dembele should now get a retrospective 3 match ban

Rasp
    It’s all good
    Even if Leicester don’t beat Everton, there is no way this Chelsea side are going to try against Leicester

Mind you, Chelsea could still score two here.

131. Janman says:

Oh well, so much for wanting Chelsea to win! Perhaps they can still turn it around though as I am sure there will be a red card in the second half. Good to see the comments section and some national newspapers supporting Mr. Wenger. Like big raddy I will support and respect the manager as no matter what, after 19 years he deserves that especially when you look at what he has done for the club. Most likely next year will be his last but it will be on his terms how and when he leaves. Also it is absurd for some one to say that if it is his last year he will not spend because of a new younger person coming in who would want to buy his own players. If the right players are available then I am sure Wenger will be in for them as it is his mentality to leave Arsenal FC in the strongest possible shape with the best squad possible.

It’s not so much that chelski have been poor, totnum have been really good – strong determined, organised ….. Bloody awful 😦

Come on you beauties 🙂

shit 6 mins of extra time

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Leicester champions

Poor poor spuddies 😆

Shame they got a point. 😆

At least 2 totnum players should have been sent off. Happy for the foxes 🙂

Phew, glad that is over.

Cmon, it’s always ugly at Stamford Bridge. 😆

Unbelievable for Leicester. Incredible achievement

It must be so infuriating, the best season for 55 years and Leicester put together a freak season.

Spuddies with their amazing bestest season ever.
    Us a pile of doggy doo-doos.
    3 points in it with 2 games to go.
    Hmmmmmm.

144. Janman says:

Congratulations to Leicester City. Totnum neanderthals show what classless dirty bastards they really are!

Brilliant

Nite all

146. IanRealGunner says:

Comedy value has gone off the scale

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

148. fatgingergooner says:

How Dier and Lamela stayed on the field I’m not sure. Ref did ok though as that was a tough game! Fair play to Leicester, but I’m bored of them already!😃

Just heard 2 massive explosions and apparently 2 Typhoon jets being scrambled over Yorkshire. Nearly browned my pants!

149. Fantastic night for Leicester, thrilled for them and Ranieri.

Their fairytale is amazing and in addition to lifting the trophy at their own ground next weekend they’ll get clapped into the pitch at Stamford Bridge for the final game. You couldn’t write a script like that could you 🙂

Love football 😃😃😃

150. chas mobile says:

I’m left asking why anyone’s thinking about Joel Campbell when the spuds have just let a two goal lead slip.

If you think about it we no longer have to be Leicester supporters.

Hmmm, I can still picture that leg braking tackle from Drinkwater on Ramsey,

Still, shouldn’t bring the mood down. I am sure we are going to get some great pictures of disappointed spuds after tonight’s game.

That’s letting a two goal lead slip that meant they lost their best chance to win the league in 55 years.

They must be soooooo gutted.

Right see you in a week, I am off to cycle up and down and all around Ibiza.

154. wally says:

Sorry lb, tribalism, while occasionally entertaining, i find boring.

155. Absolutely right LB, few things left to crow about this season but 2-0 and you f**cked it up is one for them to choke on.

Have fun in Ibiza 😃

156. VP of Oz says:

Love this from ESPN comments section –
    Chris Nørgaard: Totally remember at the beginning of the season many ESPN pundits saying, after Ranieri was hired, that they were screwed.

Justin Lerner · New York, New York
    Dude, you’re talking about ESPN covering ‘soccer’ – that’s like asking Steve Harvey to announce the correct Ms. Universe winner

Can’t help feeling that “it should have been us” but congrats to Leicester.

ha ha ha, just got up and checked the score 🙂 🙂
    cannot wait to meet the toothless spud in May – he said he will be at the parade 🙂 they did bottle it again 🙂

nope, it’s not happening

I am NOT happy for Leicester at all. Why should I be?

This looks like at least a 3 points deduction. 🙂

If that had been Arsenal playing at Stamford Bridge we would have finished with 8 men on the pitch.

Why just a 3 point deduction?

chas. Love the 8.25

OK, 4 points, so that we’re above them. 🙂

good man Kyle Walker 🙂
    it was ugly all right, 2 most despicable lots of footballers, 2 lots of more despicable fans, and 2 very likable managers. oh well, we mustn’t complain 🙂 Dembele faces a retrospective ban now

Chavs were singing ‘Champions of England, you will never be’ 🙂

9 yellows for Spurs. 😀

At least they show some passion.

173. njstone9 says:

Is there any realistic prospect of them being docked points?

The sheer number of incidents was extraordinary, and virtually all were perpetrated by Spurs players. Chelsea did well not to go into meltdown as well.

What was the referee thinking of? He could easily have sent off multiple players multiple times.

NJ
    I wouldn’t have thought so, everyone loves the spuds in the media.

175. njstone9 says:

True but it’ll be the FA to make the decision.

Usually you can bet your life on the FA making the wrong decision but it’ll be interesting to see what happens this time.

Spurs have already been warned about failing to control their players and at the very least they must be looking at a few bans and a hefty fine.

Maybe Arsenal can sneak second after all. We’ll need to beat City though which isn’t hugely likely.

True, I just meant that there won’t be a clamour in the press for charges to be brought, as there was in 1991.

…and, as you say, the FA don’t seem to be able to think for themselves. They just react to the press, TV and social media (to a smaller extent).

There should have been 4 reds for spurs players:

Dembele for gouging Costa in the face
    Walker for 2 yellows
    Lamella for stamping on Fabregas’ hand
    Dyer 2 obvious yellows, the second could have been a straight red

If those 4 players miss the next 2 games we could finish above the swamp dwellers.

My guess is the FA will take pity on them because they lost the league

Agreed, Rasp.
    They might get a small fine,

😆 chas

If that had been Arsenal fouling for pretty much the whole game, we’d have had players getting sent off and it would be all over the press the next day.

Surely Dembele and Lamella have to get retrospective reds?

181. Shard says:

Spurs are a dirty side anyway. In recent weeks it has become more apparent. Along with their players who should have got red cards, Pochettino should also have been sent off. He came onto the field of play supposedly to play peacemaker, but was actually very aggressive.

It takes something for a team to be more thuggish than Chelsea. Petulant, dirty cheats, who will be allowed to get away with it because the media will never get on their backs.

182. fatgingergooner says:

If any bans are to be handed out it will be Dembele, Walker, Lamela and Vorm. How Dier never got a second yellow is beyond me. He was already booked and went through someone with the ball miles away but the ref played advantage and never came back to it.

Spurs didn’t show any fight, they just embarrassed themselves. They still had 5-10 minutes to get a winner but were more bothered about trying to get sent off.

Southampton and Newcastle are form teams at the moment so no guarantee they will win either of those. Could be an interesting finish.

183. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Snap! 😃

184. njstone9 says:

Thanks Shard, I was about to mention Pochettino.

What makes it worse is that there wasn’t even a really bad challenge or provocative act from Chelsea which sparked it all off.

Spurs should have had all those sendings off and they should have gone on to lose the game.

If we finish level on points with them we’ll be moaning at the referee for not having done his job in that game.

There is a New Post

186. fatgingergooner says:

I thought the ref handled it well up until that last 10 minutes when the Lamela stamp happened. After that it got silly. If he’d have sent him off that would’ve helped, but I think he said to Cesc that he didn’t see it, so you can’t really blame him for that. There are 4 officials though and I’m shocked none of them picked it up.

187. Shard says:

njstone9

The same ref has had some controversial decisions in other Spurs games. All of them in Spurs’ favour. Including the ridiculous handball penalty given against City.

Oh and Fellaini should get at least a 3 game ban for his assault too. That was disgusting, regardless of whatever excuse Van Gaal makes in whatever fashion.

GIE, great minds and the like —

“Turned on…….Tottenham scored 2, turned off again to watch snooker….just looked at final score

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀”