Friday Rant: Mr Wenger’s News Conference

I thought I would write a post based upon the revelations from Mr Wenger’s weekly newscast. The trouble is the same questions are asked and the same answers given.

So  … here it is …

images-1.jpeg

“Yes, he is back in training and is available for selection …. perhaps”

“I don’t know who will play.”

“Norwich are a strong team.”

“We are mentally strong and have a positive attitude in the squad.”

“The squad will all be fit in time for the Euro’s”

“Financially the club is in fine shape and we can compete with our rivals in the transfer market.”

“No, I do not worry about the fans concerns – there are always fans concerns.”

“I was very impressed with the quality of Chas’s slider videos this morning and look forward to more. It shows the strength and unity of the blog”

Let’s be honest, these news conferences are a waste of time especially for poor Arsene who has done hundreds of them. He gives nothing away and they are purely for the benefit of tired media hacks looking to trip up our manager and engender a misleading hit-provoking headline.

This morning saw a journalist putting words into AW’s mouth about the fan unrest. What the hack was trying to do was get AW to collude in the miscreant’s anti-Arsenal agenda. Thankfully our manager is too intelligent to be drawn into such base journalism.

Can we stop them, please?

written by Big Raddy

83 Responses to Friday Rant: Mr Wenger’s News Conference

Cheers, BR.
    Well chuffed that Wenger likes a good slider, too. 😆
    As for the strength and unity of the blog – hmmmmmmm. Tongue firmly in cheek and bitten at the same time.

Definitely the press conferences should be scrapped. Absolutely chuffin pointless.

Though, I think they may be contractually obliged to do them. The press and TV are everything these days. I’d imagine there will be more press scrutiny of pieces of A4 card tomorrow than on the football.

Did anyone notice how Liverpool defended brilliantly for 90 minutes last night and then decided to go all kamikaze in injury time?
    I’ve seen shit like that somewhere – can’t quite recall where.

This is a classic example of my concerns and a complete misrepresentation of AW’s words from a man who clearly has an anti-AFC agenda

Quite right, Raddy – about the journos.

I love Chas’s cat vids too, even the cruel ones’ – I know you think I am sucking up to the new management – and you are right! 😀

Reddish, @ 10:18

Go to ACLF and you will see that article is regarded as spot on.

The world is riven with people who have agendas, all believing they are the only ones who are in the right.

Yes, BR, I’ve just been looking at the twitter fallout from the press conference.
    Even tweeters I like are jumping on stuff he’s said looking for any kind of offence.

Chas,

I am afraid I did not notice Liverpool defending brilliantly, or otherwise – I could not be assed to watch a second tier competition.

7. realjay says:

I love AW bt i think his philosophy is outdated, he fails to revolve wit the new styles of play. Give this arsenal team and i will win the premier league next season

Thanks Raddy. I fully agree and it is a testament to Arsene that he continues to put himself in the firing line of these hacks knowing what is coming and that their sole purpose is to are try and trip him up. I would say, however, that he doesn’t help himself with certain repetitive statements that everyone knows will act like a red rag to a bull.

Things like not being concerned with fans views, players being fit for Euros (like Arsenal fans give a s–t if Cazorla can make the Spanish squad), reminding fans of all the money we have that we haven’t spent on players we need, and talking up the quality of Chas’ slider videos in the same way that he tried to convince us that Giroud is the new Pele with a better hair-cut.

Probably the worst one though is the mental strength one. I think even the ardent Wenger supporters harbour serious doubts over our mental strength, so I really wouldn’t trot that one out every week. Bad P.R angle if you ask me and I can understand, from a fans perspective, how this can look like denial and burying ones head in the sand.

I can see how this would lead to a conclusion that our esteemed manager has lost the plot and refuses to address what seems obvious to almost everyone else, and that this then represents continued failure moving forwards and a need for change of management.

The hacks and interviews, and the way they do them, are not going away so it is only left for Arsene to maybe be a bit more savvy with what he says. I actually don’t think it would hurt for him to be a bit more honest about our failings. If he said :

“yes we have let ourselves down collectively this season and not performed to the levels we are capable of. We are taking serious measures to address this in the summer and want to start next season as serious title challengers. Where we are as a squad in terms of quality and strength in depth is not as bad as some may believe, largely based on mistakes we made this year that have given a false representation of how good we actually are. Contrary to popular belief I, and my players, are not satisfied with 4th place. We want to be number one and we are not afraid to spend big and will do everything in our power to strengthen our squad with the right high quality players and improve other intrinsic aspects of our team play so that we can deliver a title to the Arsenal fans next season”.

I feel that would placate a lot of fans if they heard that and also sends out a message to top players we may be interested in.

Oh and morning RA. I loved this bit :

“The world is riven with people who have agendas, all believing they are the only ones who are in the right”.

I think we are finally starting to understand each other…or more to the point you are finally starting to understand me 🙂

10. TotalArsenal says:

I love his brevity, Raddy. Ask him an intelligent question and you will get an inspired and clever answer from Arsene. Ask him dull questions and he will reciprocate with equal dullness.

What never stops amazing me is the number of fans who believe they know better than Wenger and call him outdated. He is pissing on your heads from that silver lined cloud above! 😂

11. nick says:

Hello Everyone

Please look up Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms (NPD)

People with narcissistic personality disorder often display snobbish, disdainful, or patronizing attitudes. For example, an individual with this disorder may complain about a clumsy waiter’s “rudeness” or “stupidity” or conclude a medical evaluation with a condescending evaluation of the physician.

In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
    ◾Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
    ◾Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    ◾Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
    ◾Requires excessive admiration
    ◾Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favourable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
    ◾Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
    ◾Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
    ◾Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
    ◾Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes

Allow me to introduce someone who may suffer from the above ….Mr Arsene Wenger !!

Hopefully this may give you guys food for thoughts?

Block 07 Row 18

12. fatgingergooner says:

Wow, next time I go to the Emirates I want to be in Block 7 Row 18 so I can see into the minds of the managers. Must be a cracking view!

13. block 07 row 18 says:

its not a bad view…let me know if you need directions on how to get to the ground just in case you have forgotten

14. njstone9 says:

No, I agreed with Wenger. The fans *have* cost us at home and the stats support that.

Until Sunderland we had scored a league leading number of goals away from home with an excellent conversion rate.

At home it’s been quite the opposite; it’s almost as if home advantage has been transformed into home disadvantage.

No true fan would act in a way as to jeopardise their team’s success to try to get a manager sacked.

The “fans” who are incensed by the press conference are exactly the ones he was referring to. I’m an Arsenal fan and have been since 1992 or so. I don’t feel in the least bit annoyed by what Arsène said because he wasn’t talking about me.

15. fatgingergooner says:

Block 07,

Don’t I just follow the trail of ‘time for change’ banners towards the sound of moaning?

16. Gylgert says:

Wenger says it was lack of support at Emirstes that cost us the title. By this Wenger’s message is simple:
    “We don’t need any new signings. All that we need is to have an electrifying atmosphere at the Emirates and we shall win the league next season. The problem is from you the fans.”
    Simple, you see? Those of you who are supporting Wenger in the hope that he will behave differently this time round should take note. He has just sent out a coded message.

17. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Regarding the home atmosphere I don’t think he’s saying anything too controversial.
    While obviously there are fantastic fans that go to the games and support the team regardless, it seems common knowledge that the home support could be better and often can be a detriment to the team what with the moaning at misplaced passes or calls to shoot etc.
    Whether it’s up to the team to lift the fans or it’s up to the fans to energize the team is another story.
    I don’t think what he said necessarily needs to be seen as a criticism of the home support as much as it could equally be seen as the manager asking the home support for a bit more help.

Gylgert, @ 4:26

Thank you for your concern, but given that those are not the words Arsene Wenger used, surely you are the one sending out the ‘coded message’ and your interpretational it?

Ginge, 😀

Hi Nick, @ 2:17

Enough about you – have you met our Terry?

He is quite possibly your alter ego, as he shares all those narcissistic attributes with you – mind you, that is in regard to all the wimin who treat him badly, by running away when he says ‘hello’. 🙂

GoonerB @ 12:13

I will never understand you!

I rely on Corky the Camel to act as interpreter, and he says you are barmy and have a fixation with blowing pills up camels asses! 😀

22. wally says:

Blaming the fans is excuse making. You don’t like the fans booing? Win games, don’t blow leads, don’t lose to bottom feeders.

23. quick question:

new manager comes in, we win a couple of games and then lose at home to West Brom. Do the fans boo?

24. Walter says:

Arsène has really lost the plot, he contradicts himself all the time and just doesn’t undestand the new way of playing football. He has to go, he disrespects the paying fans and pays millions to under performing and injured players.

BR
    Choosing to comment on the press conference was inspired.
    It’s certainly inspired a few new bloggers to post comments. 😆

26. Walter says:

Well we definately wouldn’t comment on a video of a sliding cat or cute dog photo!

27. VP of Oz says:

According to Wiki, Arsene manages a win/draw approx. 4 out of every 5 games, that alone shows he still competes at the highest level. As a fan, I’m happy with our results, we win much more often than we lose. Why can’t fans be happy with that? I have stayed loyal and supportive of Arsenal even with a poster of Cyrille Regis playing for WBA on my wall (the poster came with the purchase of my football boots). Its because of that glorious Cyrille Regis pose, leg extended, in full flight, taking a shot on goal, that WBA are my second favourite team. But Arsenal are still a very clear number one, no complaints, no regrets. Loyalty and support of the team should always be unconditional.

I think anyone labelling AW as a NCD (new one on me) may be doing a bit of kitchen based name calling 🙂

29. Aaron says:

He is right! Am a lifelong supporter and the stadium is a ghost town. Becoming a team with tourist fans or bandwagoners? Just asking… Look at teams like Leicester City, Swansea etc and those fans cheer regardless. Maniacs who love their club! The way is should be win lose or draw!!

Great weekend ahead

So, let’s begin with the important stuff.

EDDDDDDDDIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE

“tackled blokes with his face” ROLF

Where’s Eddie?

Pretty sure she likes a short back and sides AND side parting.

Chuck in the fact that I think she likes a regional accent, then you have your work cut out

I knew you’d try 🙂

When later KO’s like today, do you head off early as if a 3pm and simply enjoy more pre match entertainment

I’m not going as some fool has invited me to a wedding.

Bloody hell
    Well, for their sake, the bridesmaids had better not be boilers, and the nibbles and booze out of this world

Actually, a simple and effect solution when invited would have been to ask them what the wedding reception budget was ie worth accepting or not

Matt Lucas?

Boris Johnson

Hog Roast at the wedding reception.

Yikes. Low budget. Downgrade expectations pronto. A mate is doing the disco isn’t he?

who’s got low budget?

Daaaaaaaarling Eddie 🙂 🙂

Look, stick around. You’re not alone in thinking we’re shit. Just have to ride out the storm and take the piss whenever possible

There we go – the game is on Sky. I am soooo unlucky, jinx really

micky – I am not around because of the move, not football. I miss blogging, but have no time. I am a hoarder and have to pack one house full of shit and then unpack the junk in the house that is not finished.

all on low budget, had to chose between a new patio or the car deposit. Cancelled the new car in the end 😦

What the heck was wrong with the old house anyway?

Nowt wrong with your old motor

Eddie
    Do you still have what used to be called Liveonlinefooty as you can watch all games no matter who’s transmitting

1. neighbours on the left hand side, calling police when my dogs stepped on their driveway; 24×7 smell of curry. Neighbours opposite garden built attic conversion overlooking my bedrooms. Living in a ghetto. north facing garden.

2. old motor is very old, but you are right, nothing wrong with it except the body work. lovely hard working girt, like the owner

micky – I didn’t pay £7 for 2 months subscription 🙂 too tight 🙂 only 3 games left

Been reading through my Twitter timeline, there’s some ghastly stuff on there from Arsenal ‘supporters’.

I don’t want to be part of a protest, I want to support my team.

I shall be shocked if any of the people I sit with hold up the ‘notelet’ provided but you never know. If the atmosphere has been bad recently it’s going to be dreadful today.

I think the protest should be outside the Emirates, they would still get the coverage. Are they going to protest in the 12th minute and then support for the rest of the game? If they want to protest, then miss the game, have a sit in outside with their silly banners.

That’s what I think anyway

sorry Peaches, but I would join the protest. Especially after Wenger said that the unhappy fans are the reason for the results. How dare he?

Fair points Eddie. I’d move as well.

Peaches
    I’m expecting us to be 5-0 before they bring out their “notelets” 🙂

Also, I blame the same fans, as they are almost certainly the same cretins that sing their only song ie Giroooooo, thus encouraging Arsene to make the worst decision in footballing history 🙂

He didn’t say that. That was the journos’ headline, though.

Ban the notelets. That’s what I say.

60. Better to not have the unhappy fans in the stadium then.

Many will agree with you Eddie.

AW talks about this group as fantastic players but something happens when they cross the white line. Maybe it’s tactics, maybe it’s attitude but they are still footballers and know what they are capable of. It can’t all be AW’s fault.

61. Actually Micky you’re right about the Giroud song, it comes from the area of the ground where I expect to see the most ‘notelets’ raised.

I’m calling them notelets because those who are anti the protest are pouring derision on the fact that they are A4 sized 😃

Peaches

One, just one, enormous and expensively made banner would be an elegant way of upstaging them

Now, the wording…?????? 🙂

I’m thinking that perhaps “Marmite is a Tosser” has a nice ring

will Spurs have St Arsenigham day this season?

of course it is Wenger’s fault.
    1, he didn’t buy much needed striker
    2. his team selection/subs are weird
    3. he played Ospina in the CL
    4. he loses best players year after year

64. 1. Who is the striker he should have bought?

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. We haven’t lost anyone in a while and he bought Ozil and Alexis and Cech.

Some players he has stuck with haven’t progressed as we would like. Too many squad players not good enough but they were under contract so we were stuck with them. Should be some movement this summer.

Aubameyang?

66. But he wants to stay at Dortmund and Dortmund want to keep him

Morning. No one knows if we tried to sign a top striker or if the likes of aubameyang would want to come. All the other clubs have scouts who are equal or better to ours it would appear. If only we could unearth a gem like Mahrez

68. He wasn’t for sale but if he was and wanted to come to the prem we wouldn’t have got a sniff unless he’s a purist and that would be very unusual in these times 😉

That’s the problem peaches, we aren’t perceived as a top club any more. We could have signed anyone in the invincible era because we were an exciting club to join. Anyone considering Arsenal now would know exactly what to expect and it’s not an exciting prospect

The idea of a player being for sale is outdated. The simple rules now are that if Real, Barca, Bayern or PSG come in for you and offer enough – you go! Otherwise every other move is either a step up the ladder towards those teams or because the club wants to cash in on a player when the offer is irresistible

So the challenge is to raise Arsenal to the next level – and we’re currently heading in the opposite direction 😦

Morning all

Someone give me a sandwich Board,I know what to say on it 😉

United to beat leicester and if we don’t win today we are totally in the shite for this season but why should I care as i walked through parts of central London yesterday on my own. (some of you will undersand)

Wenger is already making excuses he is a dead man walking,maybe three games or a a longer walk for an extended year.Shame really but all good things come to an end the knack is to know when the end has approached.

crystals

“the knack is to know when the end has approached”

When? Always. The End is always nigh 🙂

Ok. Outside until the rain falleth

Sorry I killed the blog yet again, have a nice weekend everyone. xx

75. fatgingergooner says:

I thought Wenger was pretty accurate yesterday. The atmosphere at home games is not what it should be. The fact he’s having to ask the fans to support the team says it all. Isn’t that what a fan is supposed to do? It’s not like he was pleading for the fans to support him. Fair enough people are pissed, but aim that at the manager. You can’t moan at the players during games and then complain that we didn’t play well! That’s ridiculous. All protests should be after the game. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was some fighting between fans today.

Very little point writing a PM because Crystals is predicting the end is nigh.

There are better things to do than spend my last few minutes bashing away at a keyboard 😀

FGG. Once again we agree.

Post will be late. Computer problems …

79. fatgingergooner says:

Sturridge getting frustrated at Liverpool. £30m? I’d take him if his injuries are behind him.

There is a New Post