Szczesny to Return?

The Pole in Goal (henceforth known as TPIG) has had an excellent season in Rome. Roma have enjoyed a good season so far and TPIG has been their first choice GK, missing only one game. The fans like him, the manager likes him and it appears he has rebuilt his crumbling reputation,

But is Wojciech off the naughty step at Arsenal?

I like TPIG, he has presence, he has character, he works hard and in my opinion can become an excellent GK but does Mr Wenger agree? The signing of Cech indicates a No, though in my opinion the Cech transfer was a no brainer – the man is fantastic. However, this leaves us with 3 very good GK’s all of whom are looking for first team action, if TPIG returns what of Ospina? All ย 3 are under contract so it is AW’s decision.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Rumours are that Ospina is unhappy playing second fiddle to Cech and TPIG will be even more dissatisfied returning to a club where he has been demoted from No.1 to not even a bench seat.

Should Ospina leave would TPIG settle for a few games in the Cups? It seems unlikely.

Thankfully this is a luxury problem – long gone are the days of Almunia.

Arsenal own his contract so if we want Szczesny to return then he will. Roma have said they would like him to stay. The media are reporting that Klopp wants him at Liverpool.

What do you think, should he stay or should he go?

written by Big Raddy

78 Responses to Szczesny to Return?

Cheers Raddy. Ideally I would like him to return as a longer term plan to replace Cech. I always felt he had many of the attributes of the great goal-keepers and just needed to mature a bit and iron out some faults. Time is on his side at his age to still become Arsenal’s number 1 for many years.

The big problem is will he accept this situation, because he will not immediately replace Cech. I see Cech as number 1 for maybe a couple more seasons and then in 3 seasons it becomes more 50-50 after which Szczesny becomes number 1 with hopefully Cech playing as back up keeper.

2. Iceman says:

I can’t see it happening – and for me that’s okay. Yes, there are times when he looks great, but his decision making still requires attention. Besides, I’ve got over that ‘when will he make a howler’ feeling and don’t want it back.

Hello, Big Radish. ๐Ÿ™‚

Three into one GK problem may be resolved in part this summer, as Ospina has been saying – allegedly – that he is not happy, as an international keeper, being relegated to the back-up boy on the bench.

AW has never wanted to retain a player who did not want to stay at Arsenal, and in addition to Ospina I can see Chezzer taking a powder too.

We have some very good GKs coming thru, including Martinez and Macey, as well as a whole ream of even younger GKs in the U21s.

If someone wants to go? Let them. Life moves on, and so should they. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. chas mobile says:

Cheers, BR.
    Another season at Roma, maybe?

It always seemed to me that Szczesny had the talent, he lacked the maturity, this issue is and will continue to be resolved. A mature, talented Szczesny has surely got to be the perfect scenario.

I haven’t written much recently, I must admit I have been feeling a bit down, I think the main reason for that is that

I think Tottenham will the league this weekend .

What of Leicester I hear you say? I remain convinced that the fixtures being what they are Leicester will still stumble.

Leicester only have a plan A.

A very effective one obviously but Tottenham are better and by that I mean that they are better equipped to deal with the run in.

If you look at Tottenham’s remaining fixtures you will notice just how important their away game against Liverpool is tomorrow, it really is their last major hurdle and once again I say that if they win at Anfield they will win the league, this is backed up by Leicester’s last three games which really are difficult and I expect them to fall.

Now then, that’s enough of the spud love in.

If spuds lose tomorrow and Leicester falter against Southampton which could easily happen and we win which I expect us to do as Wenger will play the team that should have played against Watford in the FA cup; then my friends; we will be on the same points as spuds and it is GAME ON.

COYRRG

7. LB – glad to see you gave yourself a good talking to in the middle of your last comment ๐Ÿ˜‰

spud love-in, pah

and what if Spuds win the league? Surely we can live with that once every 55 years? I don’t care. It hurts me most that we threw it away when it was up for taking

10. akinzo says:

Thanks guys for your support. I was blushing as I read them.
    I believe that TPIG have the potentials to become a great goalkeeper. And for him to come good for us, he has to be patient. His erratic performances for us over the years hasn’t been as a lack of ability but immaturity. Courtious arrived at Chelsea a renowned goalie but there was no way he could usurp Chech and he was farmed out to Athletico. Now, he is number one. TPIG, should follow same path. Soon, he will take over from one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

akinnzo. I agree with all you write and with chas who suggests another season at Roma

Chas, I am still not sure how that chap works out what a players expected goal rate should be.

GB – nobody works out the expected goal rate, it is just a buzzword

GB
    I only post the pro-Giroud stuff to counteract the constant Giroud is the cause of all of our woes shite.

I honestly think, as TA would probably agree, that it is the failure of other members of our team to take golden chances which has caused our title challenge to falter rather than laying it all at the FP’s doorstep.

You must always bear in mind that I don’t tend to sway one way or another when judging Giroud, but feel the need to play DeVille’s if everyone is slagging him off. ๐Ÿ™‚

The analytics chaps rate every goal scoring chance and how effectively it has been converted, depending on where the chance in the penalty area etc.
    It’s all bollix really, just as Eddie says. ๐Ÿ™‚

who is blaming Giroud for us not winning the title???

He is what he is, we know he is not a top striker. We, the normal fans blame Wenger for relying on Giroud and not buying us a proper CF

Eddie
    The stats are suggesting that it’s the fact that we haven’t scored enough goals from elsewhere that is the reason for us not winning the title.

exactly! the elsewhere goal scoring machine was not purchased last summer or even last January

We, the normal fans, blame Wenger for
    not buying a striker who would score us the goals, Giroud hasn’t.
    Get your banner printed now, darling.

Sign us a 30 goal a season striker like Cavani and we’d win the League. ๐Ÿ˜†

you sarcy so and so ๐Ÿ™‚

Cavani, Ronaldo, Suarez, Lewandowski, any of them would do me

Yep, Suarez went for 30m more than his buy-out clause. There may have been a reason for that. ๐Ÿ™‚

still fraction of what Kroenke paid for his new ranch

You win. ๐Ÿ™‚

Here you go.
    This is how real fans support the team while the game is still being played.

26. TotalArsenal says:

Where did you find that article, Chas? Bloody brilliant! ๐Ÿ•ต

I don’t understand ‘the model’ much, but the idea that it is the mid wingers and central midfielders not scoring enough rather than Ollie’s goal tally that are the real causes of us trailing the Foxes, should not come as a surprise to anyone….yet it does. ๐Ÿ™„

27. TotalArsenal says:

TPIG can stay in Rome for me, Raddy.

Petr has that beautiful calmness about him that oozes confidence and control and scares the opposition. Wojciech is an extrovert chancer who has a need to attract attention and I don’t like it in a goalkeeper.

yeah!! that’s proper football support, not your nancy pansy proof reading and making excuses ๐Ÿ™‚

hi TA, good night all

29. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Eddie, hope it’s not my appearance that is saying your goodbyes ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Chas, your 8.04….that would be me then ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually I have always taken the same line as Eddie that I am looking more at AW as to why Giroud is still seemingly our main first choice striker. I have also said he is what he is and that I have no personal dislike of him.

I am as happy as anyone else when he scores for us and helps us win a game. For me though he is an impact sub, not a striker to lead the line for a club with any ambition of winning the EPL or ECL. I think AW had an idea of developing a different style of play around this type of striker, but that it represents a failed project that has been clung onto too long.

Giroud’s stats are currently better than others in the team but are still not great for a striker at our level. I also still stand by my thoughts that the type of striker he is doesn’t bring out the best in the other players around him on a consistent basis, and that this is a big contributory factor in why so many of the players that play behind him and off him are statistically performing below what they would do normally. Not the only reason though.

That is only an opinion of course Chas with the issue being it is not one that can be shown from individual player stats, which is why I don’t think that the individual stats tell the whole story of where our problems lie.

31. fatgingergooner says:

I still believe Leicester and Spurs will drop enough points to allow us to win the PL ie they will finish on less than 79 points. The major doubt I have is wether we will take advantage of that.

Szscesny is nearly 26, so still very young for a GK. I think he got comfortable at Arsenal and that lead to mistakes on and off the field. Hopefully a season or 2 in a tough league like Serie A might get him back on track. If he reaches his potential then he’s Cech’s successor, if he carries on being a bit of a lad then get rid and bring someone else in or promote Martinez.

32. TotalArsenal says:

Well GB, the one thing Giroud cannot do is score Theo’s, Alexis’, Aaron’s etc chances. Fact is we create many chances, including when we play Ollie as CF, but we are not putting them away… And Ollie has a game’s average of just over 0.5 goals which means about 20 per season. I reckon he is meeting Arsene’s objectives for him to a tee with that. Many others are not and Wenger will have to choose between trying a different system altogether or ‘sort the others out’. Only time will tell. ๐Ÿ˜„

TA – no, I didn’t leave on your account. I just didn’t want to leave chas on his own ๐Ÿ™‚ waited for someone to join the conversation

szcz will be back, Roma only want his loan extended, until they buy a better keeper

Erik
    Sorry to have missed your post. Sz would still be at Arsenal if I were Manager.
    I’m not, as you may have noticed, and we have Petr, which is fine.
    Look, let’s be honest, GK’s don’t do it for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Morning Eddie

Ollie? Wenger’s fault. You were correct by miles ๐Ÿ™‚

Eddie
    There are more important issues than Ollie to catch up on.
    Ebay? What’s going on?
    Are we still doing hair and nails for games?

hair mostly gray now, nails need doing tonight. eBay……nope, sold lots of timber and floorboards for peanuts, but didn’t provide boxes. I am busy recruiting. I gave the project manager the sack and need professionals to finish the new house. It is job and a half, cannot get builders for love nor money, the only ones available are 5’4″

City have allegedly offered Messi ยฃ800k a week. How can they do that? Is the FFP dead and buried?

It is job and a half, cannot get builders for love nor money, the only ones available are 5โ€™4โ€ณ

I take it the house is tall

FFP
    I think it would be harsh for FIFA or whoever they are to go around punishing people for financial irregularities while they’re up to their necks in bribery.
    Certainly now is the time to bend the rules while no-one is looking ๐Ÿ™‚

What is wrong with a 5′ 4″ builder? The Japanese seem to do it quite well.

Eddie. You need to get some Polish chaps in- they do a fine job.

the hallway is 6meters +, stupid.

bend rules – like Arsenal paying ยฃ200k a week in wages to a world class striker? I think we’ll get away with that

It’s only 41 million a year. Less than half the TV income.

thank you Raddy, but no thank you. I don’t like polish men. They get a job as a labourer, within a week they become proficient in decorating and at the end of the month apply for the site manager’s job. Bit opinionated (like me?)

Only ยฃ41M pa
    Ha ha ha. Nuts isn’t it

chas left out the ยฃ600k lose change from the ยฃ41m

Seems reasonable to me. Let’s hope we are in for the little genius.

Come on Stan, stump up the money.

Do you think The Wigged One reads AA?

I’m in London, and will shortly be heading West, and it feels seriously wrong knowing Arsenal are at home ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Erik
    Does Iwobi start?
    Or are you still not answering my questions?

Eddie @ 7:59 the Hall is 6.5m — blow Micky’s 5′ 4″ builder, even a tall builder would find reaching a ceiling 21 feet 4 inches high a little worrying. ๐Ÿ™‚

Arsenal will win today! ๐Ÿ™‚

Micky. Yes.

Happy?

8.59. Sophia Loren! What a woman. Do you think D. Dors was a natural blonde?

Probably not.
    It’s Jayne Mansfield in the photo, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

What do you think to ‘Arry’s carpet?

Purists are never happy.
    5 goals and they become mildly content.

I wonder if Messi does any high ceiling plastering.

RA – correct, but my my 5’4″ painter cannot reach the top even from a ladder! He asked for a mini tower now. I am looking for a tall painter.

Oh, that was funny ๐Ÿ™‚ I am looking for a carpenter. Last time I hired a polish carpenter he had no teeth and sticky fingers. He robbed me blind and disappeared, perhaps to fix his teeth. His name was Krzysiek. Last week someone recommended me a polish carpenter called Krzysiek, They thought I was mad when I asked if he has his own teeth ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I swear, they pissed themselves laughing and said he will be around to quote so I can check myself

raddy – unless the hair is ginger, what does it matter if hair colour is natural or from a bottle?

One minutes applause on 7 minutes for Rocky today.

plastering is done, just painting to do. How tall are you chas? Rasp had a look, but didn’t offer to do it

I’m a midget

today? what time?

Only slightly taller than Lionel. ๐Ÿ™‚

you is a liar. You are about 5’7″

3.07pm

Morning, RA. ๐Ÿ™‚

Eddie. You are right, it doesn’t matter to anyone but Purists.

Chas

Is it a special anniversary for Rocky or is it bandwaggoning, I don’t mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with that I am just curious?

He died 31st March 2001, LB.

Gotta go, Ant and me are on the train, so if you don’t like photos of empty beer cans, don’t come on here this morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

Understood.