Coquelin: World Class?

There seems to be an assumption that tonight is an automatic 3 points to the good guys (well, there is here in Copenhagen!). Given our current form this is optimistic.

It feels an age ago but it was only last season that Swansea beat us home and away plus they have not lost in their last 3 visits to the Emirates (W2 D1)

Right, time to get positive …

Mr Wenger is angered by the negative response from the fans to our recent defeats, he believes the team and the fans should show “togetherness and solidarity”. I agree with him and will join his cause.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Swansea  were unlucky not to get a point at WHL. Our old friend, Flapianski is in terrific form and will be looking to show, once again, that his sale was a mistake. However, they have lost their last two games.

The Icelandic chap (can’t be bothered to find out how to spell his name but it must have a sson at the end of it) is very good at free-kicks so we must be wary of conceding within striking distance of our goal. Ayew is pacy, other than that we have little to fear and much too prove.

Midfield is our main concern; any team would suffer having so many injuries in one area of the pitch – Wilshire, Rosicky, Cazorla, Arteta and Oxlade Chamberlain –  all good enough for a regular first team place. Their injuries have put excessive pressure on those who remain and it is having a negative effect.

Ramsey is a shadow of the player he can be, Flamini looks Kerry’d, and then there is Coquelin.

Before his injury Coquelin  was statistically  the best DM in Europe, which once again proves that stats can be used to prove anything. The problem is that Coq is a good player but not good enough to carry a team to the Title (IMO). He needs assistance and he is not getting it. The injuries to the MF’s have resulted in the wingers taking defensive duties – wouldn’t it be great if they could be freed from that task like the Barca front 3?

Making the reasonable assumption that the N15 fools will roll over WHU this becomes a must win game (aren’t they all?).

I would certainly revert to our best front 3 – Sanchez, OG and Welbeck. How they work as a unit is not my concern. They are our three most talented front players.

I expect Swansea to sit deep (PTB) and look to score from set pieces or breakaways. BFG or Paul Easter? BFG for me in every home game. Ramsey could use a rest but he has to find his form if we are to push on to the title. I would like to see El Nino get a start in what will be a clogged midfield.

Can we win? Of course.

Let it be so …

COYRRG

283 Responses to Coquelin: World Class?

1. fatgingergooner says:

We can win, but only if our performance improves. Swansea are no mugs and we tend to struggle against them. We really need to be on it tonight, and more importantly the fans need to be behind the team. If we don’t score early it could get ugly tonight as the fans start groaning and the players start hiding. We’ve seen it all before.

I’m praying for a couple of early Arsenal goals to settle the nerves and give the players chance to play some beautiful football and rebuild confidence.

Thanks Raddy, I agree we should start with OG and maybe bring Campbell on at some point – he was doing well I thought but then got moved down the pecking order for some reason.

We need to be more cohesive in midfield, play with a higher line from defence and start taking those match-deciding chances (Monreal v manu)

3. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. Nice curtain raiser as ever. 🙂

Certainly not a given, not in our current form. But I am 80% confident we will bounce back. When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

COYG. 🙂

I watched 20 mins of Leicester last night, and what I’d like more than anything from us, is to try as hard as they did. They were even sweating and stuff.

Cheers, BR.
    It’s time to break the Swansea bogey.

Our season will be down the Gary if we don’t get 3 points.
    I’m still trying to work out “Kerry’d”.
    I can’t think of anything that rhymes with Katona. 🙂

p.s. Most of Tottenham and WHL in particular are in N17.
    N15 is South Tottenham below Tottenham High Cross.

Thanks Raddy. I think Le Coq is a very important player for us and link in the team, but he needs the right game controlling CM alongside him and for me that is not Rambo.

I don’t get as bothered as many do about a slight lack of technical skill with Le Coq. His technical level is still reasonable enough, and is really only exposed when he doesn’t have the right midfield partner. The right partner and we look strong in CM. The problem is the 3 best partners are all injured.

I don’t get the Giroud thing…sorry. Not dismissing him as no good but he really should be a late game changer for me. I did like T.A’s clever description of him as a holding striker. I just don’t feel we can move forward with this type of striker as first choice.

I ask myself how well have we been playing recently while he has pretty much been first choice in the role? Have we been scintillating and fluid in attack and winning games as the comfortably dominant team complete with goals?

I agreed with Micky yesterday that we have looked rather insipid recently and if having a more traditional slower CF is not a big part of that then what is that has not been right?

I would go with Elneny with Le Coq with Sanchez, Ozil and Campbell all behind Welbeck…….So that will probably be Giroud up top and Ramsey alongside Le Coq then 🙂 actually or even worse to the right 😦

Still the support once they take the pitch never wavers so COYRRG’s

8. fatgingergooner says:

Totally agree Micky. We are not an all-action side like Leicester and sometimes our fluid, passing style comes across as lazy, but when we haven’t got the ball there is no excuse for not working hard to get it back.

I want to see sweat tonight!

Rasp, there does seem to be a slight habit of inexplicable demotions to players who have done well in a role. Campbell is one but other examples exist. There definitely seems to be a default button to favoured players. I did like your assessment once that Wenger tends to play his favoured, or what he considers his best technical players, accommodating them at all costs often the expense of having the best balanced 11.

Chas

Without ball

—————-Cech—————
    Bellerin-Merts—Kos–Monreal
    Ramsey-Coq—-Elneny-Sanchez
    —————–Özil——————
    ————–Welbeck—————-

Something like that would be my selection tonight. I actually had Giroud up top in my team yesterday but I’d totally forgotten about Welbeck!

Kerry Packered = knackered?

As opposed to Jacobed

14. Red Arnie says:

I am in Swansea today. I suppose I should not try to go to a pub tonight. Just in case, just in case, the good guys score and I start jumping up and down, it may be trouble! 😛

FGG, you are one that likes the Ramsey to the right idea I think don’t you. It really doesn’t appeal to me, and I feel it is one of the things that AW has tried that has weakened us. When it is said that it has worked for us in the past I keep thinking when?

Rasp probably remembers conversations going back 2 years where we discussed whether Ramsey, Cazorla and Ozil could all play at the same time because it shunts one of them out of position wide. The reason we had those conversations then was because we had played some very disjointed games with those players all on the pitch together. I really don’t see anything progressive about Ramsey to the right but await your convincing me otherwise 🙂

Off for a bit

16. fatgingergooner says:

Coquelin is an outstanding HM player IF winning the ball back is his only job. With Cazorla in the team, that’s exactly what happens, as Cazorla is disciplined enough to allow himself not to get caught in front of the ball. At the moment, what we have is Ramsey playing next to Coq, and what Ramsey does is often find himself level or in front of the ball when we have it. This causes a headache for Coquelin. Let me explain what I mean and you can tell me if you think it’s bullshit! 😃

When Cazorla plays he will put himself a yard behind play in order to be an out ball for anyone who needs it ie if Sanchez or Monreal have it on the left touch line Santi scuttles over and receives the ball and moves on to the right or forward to Özil. Simple but very effective. This means Coq doesn’t have to get too involved with backing up play and can concentrate on being in the right place to stop counters. When Ramsey plays however, Coquelin is often the one having to back up play and be an out ball because Ramsey has made a run and not received the ball and is ahead of play. This means Coq is not able to concentrate on his defensive positioning and if play breaks down from here he has further to get back and may be caught too far from the counter.

That’s why I think Elneny should start as he seems very happy to just keep the ball moving and doesn’t get too far forward.

On a side note, I’m not putting all the blame on Ramsey as it wouldn’t surprise me if he is told to get in the box as often as possible. From the CM position though, that shouldn’t be happening IMO.

I do remember those conversations GB

We should be able to perm any 11 out of 23 and still win games …. what I want to see tonight is us wanting it more than Swansea regardless of who plays top right.

18. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

I know you’ve gone but here’s my reply. if you look at the way I see us attacking, Ramsey actually plays as a second number 10 to support Özil with Bellerin being wide. Ramsey is at his best when he’s free to get in the box and link up with Özil. He can’t do this from CM as its leaving us short defensively and him too far from play when transitioning from defence to attack.

It worked brilliantly against United at home as Schweinsteiger and the LB (Young on the day I think) had no clue what to do with Ramsey coming central.

It’s not what I want going forward, but I believe it’s our best starting 11 right now with Ramsey right.

I think Ramsey on the right coincided with our two best performances of the season away at Leicester and home to Man U.

Well done, BR, a neat Pre-Match, thank you.

I have had a word with someone, and I am afraid that I need to break the news to you, that your Pre-Match Posts always ….. well… precede the devastating losses we have experienced this season, so this is your last chance to make us win, come what may — so get with the beat or hoppit.

[The someone in question mentioned above is my alter ego – as you may have guessed. I was too scared to ask the other AAers because they do not mince words and would have told me to eff off.]

Don’t know why? 😀

22. VCC says:

Excellent post BR. Just what’s needed as a pre match.

After my recent criticism of our manager I will still remain loyal and keep everything crossed for our encounter this evening.

There is not the same level of optimism around my area of Essex about tonight’s game, as there is in Copenhagen.

But, if we have anything about us, it surely would be to enter the arena as gladiators and fight for the full 90 minutes, after all, as Wenger says he is angered by the negative response to our recent defeats. “Togetherness and Solidarity”.

We have a strong enough bench to go at them from the start.

I cannot agree with your midfielders Wilshere/Rosicky/Cazorla/ Arteta/Ox “All good enough for regular first team place”. Two at the most for me.

Ramsey needs to get back to basics and not try too many show boats and fancy stuff. Just stick to what he is good at….up and down the pitch showing streangth & skill, ala early season.

Playing with a front three I would endorse, but would start with Joel Cambell instead of Welbeck. Campbell with his work rate and Welbeck as he is just back from injury. Use Welbeck as an early sub in the second half (60 mins, not Wenger 70)

Can we win? YOU BETYA.

Sorry, brief pop on then off again. I actually get your logic FGG with that and yes Ramsey to the right did work well in the 2 games Chas mentioned so maybe there is a combination to be worked on.

One big question though, who played at striker in those 2 games?

24. Bryan says:

I certainly don’t assume we can beat anyone at the moment, our form has been appalling for over 2 months now & hopefully there will be a few players dropped from yet another dismal performance from our team.

GoonerB
    So, ‘when did Ramsey on the right work for us’ has morphed into ‘Walcott for president’ yet again.
    Nice one. 😆

26. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

I believe it was Walcott, but we didn’t have Welbeck then, who is better. Certainly at the moment anyway! So I think it would still work with Theo.

27. Bryan says:

Campbell should have & should be starting a head of Walcott & Ox (obviously now injured) in all recent games as surely you should pick players in current form.
    Theo & Ox have both been absolutely terrible.
    Against Man U, I think it was Theo’s first touch after 29 minutes when he lost the ball & they scored, for me awful decision to play Theo as striker.

28. goonermichael says:

I’d like to see some desire. They didn’t look like they had any on Sunday. I hope Walcott is nowhere near the starting 11

Exactly GM

A bit more desire would not go a miss.

30. Bryan says:

Lets be honest, we don’t deserve to win the league anyway.

The whole Leicester side have shown what you can achieve with desire & hard work, we have neither, I really hope they win it.

31. Aaron says:

Like the part about Coq and Ramsey = agree 1000%. coq can even pass it wide and far with accuracy if he has a close outlet passer who has close touch and he know what he is going to do. With Ramsey, although very skilled, is difficult to figure out what he is going to do with the ball. This slows everything down and messes with our fluidity. Want Elnany in front of Coq. Campbell on the right or Ramsey. Theo belongs on the pine with Flamster. Everywhere else just pick your favs- Wellbeck early or late, but not whole game. Give a go early-better or just hold on for a wild ride and try to smash and grab one late.
    Positive for this game, really!

chas. Rasp was correct. Kerry Packer (ed) = Knackered

RA. If you are saying that my writing is the kiss of death for AFC, I will stop immediately though it would leave a gap here on match days – are you willing to step forward as PM writer? You could well be a lucky (not that luck exists) totem

😆 Raddy

RA as a totem – I thought that was Eddie?

I would keep Cech, Bellerin,Ozil and Sanchez and then start again.It might take a few years,a new manager and a new chairman with lots of jubbly 😉

35. Shubham says:

There are 3 world class players in our team. One of them is not performing well at the moment, Alexis. So we are pulling on with the remaining two (Ozil & Petr).
    Le Coq is certainly not at that level. His distribution is very average.
    For Arsenal to seriously compete, we need world class players along the spine. Unfortunately we don’t have any such CF or DM.
    A win tonight is a must to be in the reckoning. COYG!

I was joking,I would add about two more players to my list.

37. fatgingergooner says:

I hope one of them is Koscielny, Kelsey.

Not many better defenders in the PL than him, or Europe for that matter. He’s world class by today’s standards.

Right just checked up on what has been happening and…. Chas, your 1.47 I was not suggesting anything of the sort. Just a genuine request for some information 🙂

Anyway it was a typo. My real question was what “type” of striker did we play with in our 2 best games this season, when Ramsey played effectively from the right, where in other games he has looked a bit naff from the right 🙂

As good and dedicated Gooners Chas it is our job to compile data analysis on combinations of formations that work and don’t work, so that we can then feed it back to Venger, so that he can then implement the working formulas, and we all sit back and watch Arsenal conquer the world 🙂

Kelsey you would keep six players? Bloody optimists, Cockie will be most disappointed in you 🙂

40. fatgingergooner says:

Maybe he just reads a different blog GB. Is there one that posts about how Flamini and Arteta are still good enough, Theo is a CF, and Ramsey next to Coquelin is a match made in heaven?

If so, is it run by Spurs fans!? We need to get it closed ASAP and get him reading this blog!

On current form I would keep one and maybe not him. The rest have been consistently poor. Defence concedes, midfield doesn’t defend or contribute to attack, the attack don’t score.

(just trying kelsey’s mindset on for size)

42. fatgingergooner says:

We are an utterly dreadful team, but still 3rd, in the FA Cup, and made it to last 16 of CL. Just awful though!

Kos for sure but yet to find the right partner.

Now raddy you,re being silly

Splendid pre-match BR – thank you.

Lord knows what will happen tonight. I expect us to bounce back convincingly but it’s so hard to predict how this mob will play.

I can’t get behind the ‘let’s flog most of our squad’ approach. On paper we have a team and a squad well capable of winning the league and going very far in the CL. Certainly – again on paper – a vastly superior team/squad to the likes of Leicester and the Spuds, not to mention ManUre and Liverpool.

But when ‘on paper’ becomes ‘on the pitch’ it all starts to go a bit Pete Tong.

Ooo-er – doesn’t that bring us to the question of who is responsible for organizing and motivating the players?

Right, I’m scarpering off before I get into trouble…

Radster @ 4:52

You need to amend your ‘Kelsey’ comment by turning it into a question/statement. 🙂

And I have occasionally been called a totem – tall, scarred and ugly – but no – I would not dream of writing anything least of all a pre-match – are you trying to kill the blog? 🙂

No. I was attempting to galvanise you into using all those Nordic chants to the gods, and a little pillaging to ensure that we flaming well win – or we will put the evil eye on you! 🙂

Rock Man,

— “Lord knows what will happen tonight” – yes I do – but I did ask you politely not to let on — don’t know what will happen to the Arsenal tho’.

Rasper,

I hope you noted that I ignored your joke about the totem …. 🙂

Right off for the evening. catch up tomorrow

By the way, Raddy — it’s ‘omen’ – but well, you know ‘totem’ works too. 🙂

RA. No, totem as in Totem Pole (a little double entendre about your height ( Rasp’s joke about Eddie)

51. goonermichael says:

fell asleep on my sofa at 9. It’s now 1:30 am. Hope this is worth it

GM. Really hope all is well in Vietnam. We miss you

Evening Sailors

Blimey, team news in 6 mins. Can someone else go get, as AFC dot com ruins my life. Slack, lazy, cruising easy life good for sod all gits and all that.

55. Goonermichael!!!!!!!!! How the devil are you, sorry I can’t join you on your sofa as I’m en route to the game, nice to hear from you 🙂

56. fatgingergooner says:

No Kos. Welbeck and Walcott on the bench with Elneny. Once again a change at RW. Wenger really hasn’t got a clue who his best option is there at the moment.

Don’t like the look of this team, but then on paper we should’ve beaten United, so we will see.

57. fatgingergooner says:

Flamini
    Elneny
    Walcott
    Welbeck

Brilliant FGG, thanks
    Where did you find it?
    I do think Joel is a better option than Theo, but would like to have seen Danny play. Reckon he will at some point.

59. fatgingergooner says:

Anyone noticed how Pochettino rotates his full backs every time they place twice in a week?

Interesting idea.

60. fatgingergooner says:

It was on sky sports app.

61. goonermichael says:

I’m happy with the team.

62. goonermichael says:

Hi Raddy and Peaches. Everything is well apart from the cobwebs in my head and a cold thanks

Yes, Raddy – see my 5:54 to that evil Rasper. 🙂

And where di Peaches get the pretty one from, ‘cos it ain’t on the AFC site

A mobile application no doubt

Hi GM

nice one, thank you Raddy

Do the Danes really think it is an easy 3 points to us tonight? No such thing this season. And not necessarily because minnows are so good, but because the giants are rubbish. There is no way on this earth that next season the likes of Leicester and Spurs will be anywhere near the top!

never mind the next season though. I think we will win and if the players read blogs at all they will remember how they angered fans, ie me. yeah, I am sure we will win.

Fabianski. I said all along that we sold the wrong Polak. GiE showed all the symptoms of male crush on Szcz and he let his heart rule over his mind…oh well, too late. We have to fight Lukasz rather than enjoy him

And Howdee RA

67. fatgingergooner says:

Do I stream game or just follow score and watch match choice highlights if it’s a good result?

Team looks OK – Campbell deserves a place on his performances this year.

The Coq-Ramsey axis is the potential worry, based on a lot of the clever analysis I’ve read on here over the last couple of days (FGG’s comment at 12.39 puts it best of all).

If Swansea PTB then it may not matter so much…

Only a win will do. Come on you Arsenal chappies!

Fattie – yeah, all the good games are now showing on BT 🙂 Time to change the service provider

No Kos = No good. I don’t trust Gabriel. No hollywood from Ramsey please and Theo stop counting that 140K a week whilst on the bench.
    Welbeck will come on when the cavalry wilt but the big bonus for me would be to see Sanchez score.

Hello michael 😉

71. fatgingergooner says:

Swansea manager taken to hospital with chest infection.

72. fatgingergooner says:

Not quite Eddie, they are showing Liverpool v City.

🙂 🙂 FGG 🙂 🙂

oh no, calamity Abou crocked again

75. fatgingergooner says:

Swansea have rested a lot of players for the Norwich game at the weekend. 6 changes.

ey? are you saing that Swans are more worried about Norwich than us???

77. goonermichael says:

Hi Micky

78. fatgingergooner says:

This happened 14 years ago today. What I would give for something similar tonight.

79. goonermichael says:

It’s not on tv here so I have to find a stream

80. fatgingergooner says:

They are prioritising the Norwich game as maybe they don’t expect to get anything tonight. Hopefully that’s their attitude and we hammer them.

Don’t like the team but do like Swansea’s.

I hate BT Sports and cannot find a stream when they have our games. Sheisters.

Weather looks dreadful in London.

Big advantage to the Welsh who are well used to it

83. fatgingergooner says:

West Ham winning

Go to rojadirecta.com. might have to unblock it with youproxy

Wa hey! !!!!! Lovely goal,,

86. fatgingergooner says:

Great start!

Get in there!!!

Get in. Lovely goal from JC. Terrific finish

Bum. That is rubbish

I don’t know why visiting teams don’t attack us more. Pretty much every time they do they score

90. goonermichael says:

My stream keeps going off. terrible internet in vietnam

Why didn’t Ollie pass that into the net?

2 open goals missed so far 😦

If only OG had scuffed his chance as he usually does instead of hitting it on the full and onto the crossbar …

If only.

That was bloody awful. Maybe Giroud was fouled but professionals don’t just stop playing and the chances we missed were very poor

We played well for much of the half against a team who offer little.

I am confident

96. fatgingergooner says:

No decent streams. Liverpool and West Ham winning so if we can nick this game then it could be a huge set of results for us.

Come on Arsenal.

Rasp. We are creating chances and plenty of them. Bellerin’s crossing is not up to par with so many hitting the first man.

In now way can I agree that half was awful, let alone bloody awful.

We shot ourselves in the foot and then the confidence visibly drained out of our players. We were good up until the time we scored. Ramsey still misfiring in midfield but at least Campbell and Coquelin playing well. This really is a MWG with totnum losing

On the positive side, compared to the game against Utd, at least with Joel we are playing with ten men and Giroud, as opposed to the nine with Theo 🙂

Anyway, come on you Gunnnners

It was bloody awful because we should have been 3 nil up and instead it’s 1 all. 11 shots only 2 on target, that is bloody awful

It’s pointless making chances if you can’t finish them. Why do we lack composure in front of goal? There has to be a reason. The crowd have been very supportive – at least from where I’m sitting.

102. fatgingergooner says:

City 2 down.

This is becoming a huge night in the title race. We have to win.

Once again a dreadful refereeing decision costs us a goal.

Rsp. Pressure and nerves. Both Sanchez and OG are desperate to score and have lost the grace under pressure they showed earlier in the season.

You don’t stop playing unless the referee blows his whistle – kids stuff. We stopped and allowed their player to walk through our defence

FGG
    Wow. Massive night as you say.

Rasp That is true but it was still a wrong decision and one of many we have he’d recently.

Blimey – even Mesut has an air shot. It’s catching.

We completely freeze in front of goal. I think we need to get a psychiatrist to work on our players.

I would take Sanchez off (cue Sanchez goal now)

Come on lads, keep going, the goal will come

We need to get welbeck on

What the hell is wrong with Alexis. The man is finishing like Gervinho

That sums us up, we should not have stopped playing then, far too gentlemanly – we’ve forgotten how to win

Campbell off? I just do not understand our manager at the moment

Strange decision to take of JC

We’re getting no luck but the more desperate we get the more I can see us getting sucker punched on the counter

Well that’s it. We had a similar free kick and Alexis missed getting on the end of it.

Now we are in the mire

120. fatgingergooner says:

Sigh

Come on Arsenal – we can still do this

Get one quickly and it could be a good finish

123. goonermichael says:

not sure if I can take much more of this

With stoppages we should still have 15 minutes. Time to win this

What time is it for you Michael?

Come on Arsenal.

Surely Flappy owes us one

128. goonermichael says:

4:30 am now Rocky

129. goonermichael says:

Last time I stay up for this though

FA Cup anyone?

It’s quite impressive really – we have a world class squad that can lose to any shower of shite

Second half was as poor as I can remember.

Nothing creative, nothing at all happening upfront. Walcott bloody hopeless.

I can’t say that Swansea deserved to win but we didn’t either.

Hugely depressing. Title gone.

133. goonermichael says:

terrible

Rocky. 9.37 That could be tomorrows post.

Thank Dennis we weren’t facing their first team

136. goonermichael says:

The title was never there Raddy. I haven’t for one moment believed we would win it. Not sure if it’s Wenger or the board/owner but with this set up we won’t win it

Brilliant night for Leicester

138. fatgingergooner says:

Hahaha! What a bunch of pathetic chokers our team has become. I’m convinced Wenger doesn’t actually know what score it is until the end of the game because he can’t be watching the way we defend. He worries about how many goals we are not scoring but continues to play the same formation and tactics that is shipping 2 and 3 goals a game. Doesn’t matter how good your strikers are if we need 3 to win matches!

Having said that, our strikers are awful aswell, so we are pretty much fucked.

Time for some changes at this football club.

Choke, choke, choke.

139. Red Arnie says:

shame

140. goonermichael says:

so depressing. I can’t believe what a load of shite we are

With the team Swansea put out, that had to be far and away our easiest remaining fixture. Blimey, what a missed opportunity with City and Spurs losing as well.

Bring on Sunday asap, and let’s get it over with.

It’s a MWG though.

GM. Well you are right.

Some of it is a complete mystery.

Why is Alexis playing so poorly? Why can’t Giroud hit the target? Why are we conceding despite having man for man a fine defence? Why are Walcott and Ramsey so dreadfully off-form? Why can’t Bellerin cross the ball? Why does BFG get beaten in the air?
    Why can’t Ozil find the magic passes into space?

I can’t even say that Fabianski was the cause of our defeat. We only had 3 shots on target!!

And the fans. When Leicester go behind their fans make more noise, and lift their team, ours just moan.

I just do not understand.

kelsey will tell it like it is 😀

Positive? I found an excellent stream. 😦

145. Sid says:

The only good (ish) thing is only one point was gained by a top four club in that round of fixtures so nothing really changed apart from a confidence loss.
    And a quarter of the season is left.
    That’ s the best I can do, off to get pissed. 😦

146. goonermichael says:

I think Ozil does Raddy. Against the mancs he had an assist and played a great pass to monreal. He also scored but we let in 3. He makes a lot of chances that our players don’t convert. He’ll be off I imagine. I also don’t think Walcott is struggling for form. He’s a mediocre player who’s quick.. He’s never been that great

Sid. Thank you. You found a chink of light 🙂

148. fatgingergooner says:

The fans have been watching the same thing for years though, BR, and it gets a bit boring after a while. It’s hard to keep lifting your team when they let you down over and over again.

Everything’s been said and analysed a million times because we’ve been here so many times before. I don’t know what the solution is, but I know I’m going to find it hard to find the positivity again, and it shouldn’t be like that when we still have plenty to play for.

I am going to try and sleep it off as I feel a Mugabe Lockdown coming on

The passage of play that summed up everything that is wrong with our team was when one of their players stayed down after a tackle and Swansea kept playing but we slowed the game down and stopped forcing the ref to blow his whistle. The player came straight back on, no injury and we forced the ref into giving them the advantage. Where is our killer instinct. No other team in the EPL would have done that. The whole ethos behind the team is wrong.

151. goonermichael says:

I can’t really see it changing Rasp. We lose the ball when there is no danger by taking to long. We lose the ball trying to be clever playing out of defence when sometimes it needs to just be cleared. We overplay our attacking play. Too many sideways or back passes when we are attacking that slow us down. We need goals and we bring on Walcott

Hi GM, I don’t think Walcott was any worse tha the other strikers. I agree our style of play is the main problem and Ramsey was having a stinker

The fact is, our XI players on the pitch tonight are better individuals than their XI players, and that is worrying to put it mildly.

They do not appear to believe in themselves, let alone each other.

Still, and unbelievably, we live to fight another day thanks to the shitness of everyone else.

Nite all, and sorry for GM’s night/morning heroics being in vain.

Wenger has just said in his post match interview that we were ‘unlucky’ in our finishing – do you see now why I am so anti the use of the ‘luck excuse’ in relation to our performances?

155. Sid says:

Just to lower the mood a little. A couple of papers are saying Cech pulled up with a hamstring injury.

156. fatgingergooner says:

Wenger just said Cech out of the Spurs game with a muscle injury. It just gets better.

Also he is ‘worried about results’ and we were ‘unfortunate in our finishing.’

157. fatgingergooner says:

Not that it matters as we won’t beat Spurs. In fact I’m going to predict we finish outside the top 4.

This isn’t a blip, our play is poor and has been for a few months. As for the finishing…. 😔🔫

158. fatgingergooner says:

Kos out of the NLD aswell with calf injury.

Hahaha another hilarious night of quality Arsenal football.

159. Le Coq Monster says:

I`ve had a power cut since 10am this morning, f##king neighbours tree fell on a powerline and just came back on, was praying that The Hammers would do us a favour as we were obviously going to anihilate Swansea !……………………..why couldn`t the tree have fallen on Wengers head ?……………and why couldn`t have it happened before last summers transfer window ?……it may have knocked some sense into him !.
    If we were not so comically pathetic, I would be angry, but a joke we are, so funny we must be !.
    Shame two of Wengers disciples have decided to take a break from AA, I could do with some of their deluded optimistic praising of the lord !. hahaha

160. fatgingergooner says:

9 out of our last 24 points.

Won 2
    Drawn 3
    Lost 3

I didn’t bother to waatch and confirmed cech and Kos out for Saturday.

12 points out of 33 since beating City is relegation form.

50/50 we scrape 4th and then please just leave AW.You can’t motivate this team in fact it gets worse as the weeks go by.

Can’t beat the mighty Hull nor the worst United team in years and now relegation threatened Swansea,.We deserve better.I believe the wage structure is wrong and that leads to tension amongst players therefore they are not at their best mentally.It’s a bloody shambles and a rocky drfessing room. Spurs may have lost but on this run of form they are the last team we needed to play in 4 days.

I have a crackpot theory.

We are going to beat the Spuds at the weekend and win the league.

Why?

1) Look at the Spuds tonight. As soon as they get to the heady heights of the top two they catch a nosebleed and lose to a poor West Ham side.

2) We are so out of form that the only way is up. (I know that’s not strictly true, and that an alternative to ‘up’ is actually ‘deeper down’), but it feels like we have been so bad that the players have nothing to lose and there is enough individual ability in our squad that it could suddenly spark into life.

3) Leicester will still drop points.

Bonkers, I know, but that’s my theory and I’m sticking to it (until the final whistle on Sunday, at least).

It’s always darkest before the dawn.

Unless you’re locked in a cellar. With a blindfold.

Rasp

The performance wasn’t good enough, but we WERE unlucky in some ways. Hitting the woodwork three times is unlucky. Swansea scoring from a blatant foul that would have been given as a foul 9 times out of 10 is unlucky. Ramsey not getting a clear penalty near the end is unlucky.

But our lack of luck is not an excuse for the result. A team with our players and resources should be able to overcome adverse luck and still get the result.

Keep taking the medication,RL 🙂

165. fatgingergooner says:

RL

That all makes sense, that is until the team have to actually play football and then totally f*** it up.

Nobody wants to win the PL this year.

I’m having another pint of medication as we speak, Kelsey 😀

Still think I’m right though.

167. Le Coq Monster says:

FGG………………to think, just a couple of games back you thought we were going to win the league !…….come and join me and Kelsey in the Doom Bar !. Our form has been consistant since we drew against the Spuds at home !…..consistantly average to poor, I`m still shocked we are 3rd !. Even an FA Cup triumph should not save Wenger this time, go with dignity at end of season Arsene !.

168. fatgingergooner says:

No thanks LCM,

My comments are just venting and I will get back to being positive once I’ve got over the hump. Don’t see the fun in being negative all the time, but each to their own.

169. Le Coq Monster says:

I dunno !……..having a laugh dooming is better than being a deluded optimist !. hahaha

Well done Sid because I am dammed if I can find a silver lining to that game.

It’s like another ground hog day, we start strong, boss the game then slowly lose our grip before becoming paralysed and incapable of doing the simple things properly.

Sadly, I am starting to believe that the model is broken and I have never thought that before.

Do think we were a bit unlucky to hit the bar twice and, yes, I am afraid, for me, it is a question of luck, or lack of it.

I don’t often feel like a deluded optimist but I do tonight.

172. Le Coq Monster says:

The day I become a deluded optimist is the day I`m carried away in the straight jacket !
    There`s always hope that being a realistic doomer, thing`s may surprise me !. 😀

173. fatgingergooner says:

LCM

If you allow yourself to feel the pain that comes from defeat then maybe the taste of victory will be so much sweeter.

If a player kicks the ball and it hits the post for the ball than that is not unlucky if you think about it logically. But they hit it with the correct precision it would not have hit the ball for the post, it would go in the back of the net, the fact is the shop was good but not quite good enough and that is nothing to do with luck it is to do with precision and ability

175. Le Coq Monster says:

I`ve now got to the point where I shall change my allegiance ( like a few did on here earlier in the season) and pray that Leicester now win the league !.
    All 19 clubs must now join forces in the crusade of good against evil and stop Totnumb winning the league !……there could be some casualties, so for heavens sake carry some garlic, rosemary beads. holy water, a crucifix and some spare clean underwear !.

Onward Christain soldiers, marching as to war !.

Let’s see how doomy people are after we’ve won at the N17 public convenience on Sunday.

It will kick start our run in to the title.

Doomers, (including realistic ones 🙂 ) feel free to accuse me of being nuts, but make a little note of the time and date of these comments, because I’ll digging them out again when we’ve won the title this May.

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

When Giroud smacks the ball against the crossbar, that wasn’t a matter of luck, it was an example of his lack of composure in front of goal

178. Le Coq Monster says:

With hindsight, I should slap myself for wanting Leicester to lose last night !

179. fatgingergooner says:

The ridiculous thing is we are still very much in the title race. If you knew nothing about football and just looked at the table you would say there are a few teams who can still win it. The problems that we have are our fixtures are tough and our form and confidence are 💩.

We have about 10 gears to go up, and a win at WHL would definitely go a long way to restoring confidence, but without Cech and Kos, and on current form, I fear we may be clutching at straws.

180. fatgingergooner says:

Not sure about that Rasp. The luck thing makes sense, but Özil totally scuffed a shot against United and it bounced in the top corner, Giroud catches one flush and it rattles the crossbar. I don’t think composure comes into it.

181. Le Coq Monster says:

As for Arsene spending the ? next season…..what will it be ?…..Only Cech and Elneny this season, so that`s £15M !…..so still £55m left and next seasons £70M makes £125M !………anyway f##k it !…..keep it !…….even if he bought Messi, he would only make him worse or injure him ! hahaha

182. Red Arnie says:

good theory Rocky. crackpot or otherwise, good theory. 🙂

183. Le Coq Monster says:

Yeah !…….and them straws have oil, grease and other slippery stuff on them !.

The luck thing only makes sense FGG if you are looking to make an excuse or hiding from the truth. We didn’t lose tonight because of bad luck. None of our players performed well and as a team we were poor.

185. fatgingergooner says:

I was agreeing with you about the luck Rasp. Poor finishing and terrible defending isn’t bad luck, it’s bad play.

Sorry fog, I misunderstood

187. fatgingergooner says:

Is it time for Mourinho!? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I suppose it comes down to how you define luck.

On a strict definition Rasp you’re right. Footy is a game of skill and if you miss the target, it’s bad technique not bad luck.

But it’s generally accepted in the game that a team that hits the woodwork a bunch of times in a match and doesn’t win has been a bit unlucky.

Unlucky because several very good efforts have gone agonizingly close.

As it happens I think Ollie’s thwack onto the crossbar was the worst of the three. He had no need to try and break the net. A better finisher would have passed it into the goal.

But Alexis’s two woodwork efforts were both really unlucky. The first even came off the inside of the post – we’re talking maybe a matter of millimetres away from bouncing off the post and into the net. You can say that it’s poor technique, I say it’s unlucky. Doubly so when the ball bounced straight into the arms of Fabianski.

The same thing applies with the ‘shots on target’ stat. Hitting the woodwork does not count as a shot on target – but which is closer to being a goal – a brilliant free kick that’s just an inch or two too high and hits the bar, or a lame shot straight at the goalkeeper.

The first was nearly a goal, the second would never be a goal in a million years but only the latter counts in the ‘on target’ stats.

FGG

It’s never time for Maureen.

If I thought about things logically I wouldn’t go to another game all season, it was down right painful being there tonight and what’s more it is becoming very aggressive, there are some really scary looking people, with veins popping out of their foreheads, screaming abuse at Wenger then provocatively looking around for someone to dare challenge them.

191. fatgingergooner says:

Wenger sounds a beaten man. If he doesn’t believe his players can do it then they certainly won’t. If we carry on like this I think these could be his last 10 or so games as our manger. If we lose to Spurs our season will crumble I think.

192. fatgingergooner says:

I guess all we can do as fans is get behind the team for the next game. Who knows, some dodgy ref decisions our way and we might win!

Has anyone volunteered a report?

If not I can do one (if no-one minds dispatches from Cloud Cuckoo Land)

194. Sid says:

If you don’t want disappointments
    then don’t have expectations.
    If you don’t want expectations,
    then live in the past.
    But a person who lives in the past
    who can tell the future
    is just setting himself up
    for disappointment.

I’ll take that as a “thanks but no thanks”.

196. fatgingergooner says:

I think this Arsenal team have finally sucked the enjoyment out of football for me, so it’s time for a break. Enjoy your blogging. I’m sure I’ll be back at some point.

Oh don’t be silly FGG

I’ve written a post for tomorrow. It will cheer you up.

Maybe.

FGG
    One other point: your analysis earlier on this post (about the way Ramsey and Coquelin play) was as good as anything I’ve read anywhere.

Your views are always intelligent and interesting and (as far as I’m aware) you never get involved in the kindergarten bickering that sometimes blights the place.

Even if you don’t feel like blogging at the moment, at a time when other long standing supporters of this site have taken themselves away for one reason or another I would politely suggest that you have a duty to keep your hand in, even if only at a reduced level, for the sake of the blog and the people who have put so much effort in over many years to keep it alive.

Anyway, it’s up to you, obviously.

And if you think I’ve overstepped the mark I apologize.

And GIE

This is for you.

I just can’t get my head round how you would walk away from the site because of a comment from one other blogger.

If Blogger X says something mean to/about Blogger Y I can understand Blogger Y deciding to have no more interaction with Blogger X.

But why walk away from the site completely and from all the other bloggers who have become your friends? I just don’t get it. It feels like you’re punishing yourself and the rest of us for the actions of one person.

You are a mainstay of the blog and you should come back.

Again, if I’ve overstepped I apologize etc etc.

Yes, I have been drinking.

Who wouldn’t after the last few days?

And in case you think I’ve really gone bonkers, I’m out West in Alberta at the moment so it’s only 11.30pm on Wednesday here.

If I can stay awake for an hour I might have a chance of chatting with the Motning Club. That would be nice.

Better than chatting with myself, anyway…

A sliding cat is as good as it gets at this time of day Rocky.

Shit, you must be ripped to the tits by now 🙂

I think I can see a sliding cat on my hotel room table Micky.

Or it could be my undies.

Not sure.

It’s got a nice glide though…

Micky

I’ve been meaning to ask you. How come you ended up in the SW? Do you have family connections?

I was looking at those pictures that Cockie put up and thinking how nice it would be to live in Cornwall…

I spent a lot of time there when I was younger (particularly North coast – Port Isaac, Rock, Padstow etc).

Great comments Rocky

Ha ha ha

If we’d have lost, and the others all won, we would be beginning the healing process

Then we could ask Erik for head help

Rocky
    Had never even been to S West before my then girlfriend (now wife) and I came for a weekend. Moved a year later. No work, no family, no contacts or friends.

Fortune favours the brave, Micky.

If we return to the UK at some point (as Mrs Rocky demands) we could well become your neighbours.

That or N5

211. Good morning Rocky 😃 what a lovely surprise and thanks for your posts to fgg and GiE 😉

Gutted, just gutted 😦

Nah Peaches

Gutted was so yesterday.

Pull yourself together.

Gutted would be if Leicester, Spuds and Man City had all won.

213. You two would have a fine time being neighbours 😃

Rocky
    That would be nice. We could be lobster fishermen together. Oooer

215. Yes, that is true Rocky. Have you really written a post?

Just gonna round up some morning crew for you, don’t go…

True Peaches.

Micky could teach me how to surf and I could teach him how to…

…oh, I don’t have any skills.

Dammit.

Well I’ve got one. I have 100% accuracy in predicting the sex of unborn babies. But I don’t think I can teach that.

Micky
    Do you really fish for lobsters? That’s so exciting.

I saw one once when I was scuba diving. It waved a claw at me and I scarpered.

218. Who wants coffee, I’m getting up as Rocky’s in the house and it’s rude to blog from under the duvet 😉

We caught nine in one day. Ate four, bartered one and released the rest. From the shore with my mate Wiff Waff Sam. We could be very manly together, then go to a musical.

Reckon you’ve put room service through their paces tonight

“Really, Room 12, another large beer and even more crisps and a kebab?”

Spot on Micky. I’m now wondering if I should trouble them for a lobster.

Don’t leave your duvet on my account Peaches. I’m going to bed in a minute.

Once I’ve had my lobster.

222. And there I was going to offer scrambled eggs on toast …… nah go with the lobster

I’m feeling just a little uncomfortable here now. Peaches in bed. Rocky wanting to jump aboard.

224. Looks like it’s duvets all round for everyone else lol sorry Rocky, not even a cat in a box this morning

225. Don’t fret Micky, peaches has left the bed.

226. I think I just heard Rocky go zonk

Good morning to you lot.

Good night from me.

Zonk

Probably for the best Peaches. He’s done a Level 10 Pretendy in Room 12, and frankly, the place stinks.

what time is it in Canada???? isn’t it like 1am?

we need a theme for today to talk about. How about cars? Did you know that if you are buying a car it is colourless. Any colour that you chose you have to pay about £500? What a con

rocky ate a lobster and had fallen asleep in 8 minutes, has to be a record 🙂

Hey, Rocky raccoon

Can’t you just have colourless?

no, it won’t let you go to the next option 🙂

oooooh, how sweet, is it a possum?

Untreated metal.
    I like the sound of that.

How the heck did you do that. A trilogy on one post. Impressive start

I completely agree with LB.
    The stadium was a vile and poisonous place to be last night.
    How were your friends, Peaches?
    They must have been traumatised?

Chas
    There’s a surfer round here with the ubiquitous VW Camper van, that he appears to have shot blasted, and it’s now completely rusted

It’s a looker for sure

do we have to talk about football today?

the worst booing I could hear was when Campbell was subed. Strange decision if you ask me

Are we supposed to respond to that footbally comment, Eddie? 🙂

no!!! I’m so hurt 😦 I went to bed crying after Swan’s second. Peaches told me the final score this morning

back to cars quickly. I’m going to have a car with intelligence! If I fail to spot a car in front too close to brake (it happens often) the car will brake for me!! I will warn me of pedestrians in front if I m going too quickly and stop before running them over. It will park the car for me too 🙂

was is it darling?

Rocky has gone, Eddie.

I know darling 🙂 he said “Zonk” half an hour ago

GM at 10:02 last night sums it up beautifully: “We need goals and we bring on Walcott”. I miss his one liner classics

sorry 39 minutes ago

Great pics

Yep, GM nails it so often.

At the ground it was, ‘F*ck off, Walcott, F*CK OFF, WALCOTT’

250. The car sounds amazing Eddie, would you trust it? And as my ex-husband would say ‘Does it make tea?’

ooooooh no!!! that is disgusting, could he hear it????

peaches 🙂 no, no tea. and no idea if it works. I was more concerned with getting a loan for it, than paying attention to its functionality 🙂 I chose the same colour as your car, but it was an ugly shade, so I changed it. I have not even seen this car in real!!! just on internet 🙂 but loan and colour were most important 🙂

No, he couldn’t hear it because it was drowned out by all the booing.

chas – never mind one foul, we should be able to cope with that. Yes, Swans played dirty and succeeded, that’s the bottom line.

How was insulting a player going to help the team to recover?? Fecking morons. The club should identify them and ban from the grounds

Ahhhhh, loving the détente. 🙂

Eddie
    By the end of the game the only ones not booing and insulting players were LB, Peaches, Rasp, Peaches’ mates, Ant and me.

Yep, we should be able to cope with one foul.
    The trouble was the whole team froze as they thought the ref would declare a Waza-ari.

This was what it was like. 🙂

Right, I’ve bored everyone stoopid.
    Back for Rocky’s dispatches from cloud cuckoo land.

good dog 🙂

my god, that must have been awful. I would never boo the players, but the trend is getting stronger and stronger. I think we have a riot on our hands.

As I said before, Wenger HAS to go. But who would replace him, all the best managers are taken. we will have Pep, Mourinho, Klopp and Poteccino against us.

chas. 8.15. I know just how that cat feels

the cat wasn’t quick enough. He allowed the prize to be taken from him. He lost to a better player. He’ll be licking his wounds now, but the trophy is gone.

264. Red Arnie says:

motning all. back to sconny botland.

RIP Martin Crowe.

So theft is acceptable if one is quick and aggressive?

not acceptable, but very effective. And probably satisfying. The loser has nothing to be proud of, or enjoy

Arnie. T20 World Cup next week. Bet the fans will be making more noise than last night

Eddie. So bang goes 5000 years of civilisation – we are back to hunter gatherers 😀

269. Red Arnie says:

yes, agreed Raddy. Bangladesh defeated Pakistan yesterday. The celebrations were quite something.

call me a savage. I want the title.

271. Red Arnie says:

come on, face it. what is played in teh EPL is not football. not in teh traditional sense of the word, anyway! 😆

272. Red Arnie says:

good news is Spuds have started dropping points. 😆

Looking forward to a RL post – always entertaining

274. I’m out with the dog, can someone change the banner please

Morning

Some people get the wrong impression about me.I am a realist and nothing that has happened surprises me.

Surely Wenger has to be accountable for not planning correctly in the Summer as a) we had money and b) we have a pretty good record with injuries short and long term.

This playing whilst in the red zone doesn’t sit well with me.Sanchez is the latest example. Is the idea that if a player has a slight injury for gods sake don’t rest him but keep playing him until he is well and truly knackered and you can subsitute Sanchez with any amount of our players.

So now we are absolutely out of form and unless things improve dramatically we have a fight for forth which at this rate might not be achieved.
    Now is the real time for Wenger to earn his money but can he do it ?

276. I think I’ve done it