Friday Rant ….. English football sucks!

OK, that is a bit of an exaggeration. There are a few reasons the EPL should be celebrated. It provides a level playing field, as the success of Leicester this year would demonstrate. It provides a fantastic place to park black money, which Abramovitch and his groupies would testify to. Finally, it also is a fantastic advertisement for the idea that money can buy success. City being one good example. OK, so are Barca, Real and Bayern. But not all clubs in their leagues can do the same.

No, the above are not why the EPL sucks. It sucks because it is not footbal at all. It is an overly glorified cross between rugby and football. Truth be said, British school children want to become rugby players. If at all they are interested in sports. Of course, in addition to pocket billiards and computer games. And some of the ones that fail to make it in rugby land up in football. Take one look at Wayne Rooney and you would know what I mean.

And the ardent followers of the game often defend this colonisation by rugby as the uniquely British “robust” brand of football. My foot! It is a street brawl transported into the football stadium. And to think that once upon a time, Britain and particulrly the FA was the undisputed world leader in setting standards in the game.

AAers, is that not a huge disgrace?

Written by Red Arnie

192 Responses to Friday Rant ….. English football sucks!

Arnie. Thank you, “pocket billiards” 😀

I think it is cricket which is the standard for FairPlay (well, it used to be until the late ’90’s Aussie teams).

Are you advocating better refereeing? What a revolutionary idea.

2. Ant says:

Wow thanks Arnie!
    Football has a lot to learn from rugby particularly:
    The rules are such that you don’t argue or approach the ref (no dissent, no stopping quick free kicks and far less cheating)
    The refs explain their decisions aloud when they make them
    The team spirit and comeradery between players is far better in rugby
    The use of tv replay technology is excellent
    The songs are ten times better
    The supporters can stand side by side and not abuse or hate each other
    And mostly because you can have a beer while watching the match live!

But….it is a stupid game where you only pass backwards, most people, including the players, have no concept of the rules, some players barely touch the ball and they award penalty kicks when there was no likelihood of scoring a try.

I’d much rather have my Arsenal season ticket than one at Saracens.

3. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. 🙂 I thought of “pocket billiards and joysticks”, but decided against it. Maybe that would have been better.

Ant. 🙂 this is meant to be provocative, as you know well enough!

Nice ranting, Arnie!

I think I get where you’re coming from. 🙂

We need to find some middle ground between the thuggery of Drinkwater and Shawcross and the poncery of Alves and Alba.

Much of our football ‘style’ in the UK comes from our Friday night culture of excessive alcohol and a good old punch-up.
    We should move towards the rugby culture of sick bucket drinking, dance of the flaming ar*eholes and buggery.

What time are we up the pub later, Ant?

Top stepping up Arnie. Thanks.

It’s a cultural thing, Arnie. Inhabitants of this dark, damp rock in the North Atlantic always have been drinkers and brawlers. Ask the Romans.

Take Ant, for example. Saturday is merely an opportunity to “re-hydrate” from the exertions of the previous week, and sometimes, if he gets very thirsty, he does it midweek as well.

No matter how much we important culturally sophisticated and civilized dwellers from the continent and beyond, they will in time become rough and fighty.

Our football clubs merely reflect our society 🙂

Ooops “import” not “important”

Best get back to me other things 🙄

Arnie fine rant. But I guess the reason that the games are so similar here is that the split of football into Rugby Football and Association Football stems from here, so by the time the game was codified and given to the world our national way of playing had become ingrained. Maybe ifor the same reasons our Rugby teams tend to kick more than their Southern Hemisphere counterparts.

Football in England has been going backwards for years, since 1966 or may be earlier. We had a brief spell in the early 00’s when PL money outstripped most of our European counterparts and we had regular contributors to the Champions League quarter, semis and finals.

And now what? All those countries have rethought their operations their teams and players are coached to a style of play and they value home grown talent and surround them with the stars. The club has a style of play built in, in fact in Germany every Bundesliga club accepted state control by the German FA who asked every player from every youth team to be coached in the same formation and with the same tactics so that it was inbuilt and when they moved to their national team they knew what their jobs were.

This is control that a) we can’t let anyone at the FA have as they are generally incompetent and b) the clubs simply would not allow.

Indeed now we have the ridiculousness of the EPP that means teams at the top get to cherry pick players from lesser academy’s with no major fees changing hands (as would have happened in Tribunal days) to put this in context Theo, Ox (possibly Ramsey) would have cost us £1m and their was nothing their academy club could have done to stop us.

But back to the point whilst we have pundits who applaud hard tackles and complain about soft foreigners who don’t understand the game we have problems, when he likes of Cattermole and Barton get game time in the EPL we have even bigger ones! Have to earn the right to play, can’t come here with all fancy Dan tricks you have to have an edge etc etc.

Add to all that the owners and fans demands for success/survival/promotion over a project or a style of play we will never move on.

Take Swansea or Southampton two clubs who built a style and an infrastructure before they moved up the leagues, they look like they have been in the PL for decades, whereas Sunderland and Newcastle etc have made an absolute mess of themselves along with the yoyo clubs who again can’t seem to understand that a couple of seasons rebuilding to stay in the PL longer is a better plan than jumping in and out of the league every couple of seasons.

Rugby is a fine game, very watchable even if one doesn’t understand the rules. I would not adopt any of your ideas into footy, but I’d love to see Ben Flower playing for the AFC 🙂

Football: A game for Gentlemen played by Thugs

Rugby: A game for Thugs played by Gentlemen.

That’s what we were taught at school. Shows what a crap school I went to.

GIE. Really good comment

11. King Claudio says:

Roughly translated into one breathless sentence –

I don’t like it when my team of prima donnas get tackled, I wish every team and every referee would just let us tip-toe around looking pretty and stopping only to take topless selfies, if we’re not top of the league and on course to win everything it must be indicative of a deep-rooted problem with English football and everyone involved, apart from us because we do everything the right way, it’s just not fair when people think they can tackle, harry and even foul (how dare they!?) us, it’s almost as if they don’t see us for the footballing royalty that we are and think they have the right to compete, the only team that comes close to us are Barcelona but even they are now cheats after beating us so actually scrap that, they too are beneath us and I want to applaud Alexis Sanchez in particular for selflessly volunteering to be the much-needed second on-pitch referee, always willing to remind the referee when the opposition deserve to be booked or sent off, even if it means stopping playing the game entirely and running after him with his magic, invisible cards, just another sign that football could, and should, be played, officiated, organised, authorised and run by Arsenal and Arsenal alone.

And if that doesn’t work then Wenger must leave.

(I’m not an Arsenal fan in case you hadn’t noticed)

Your Royal Highness ( I have never addressed a King before – do your friends call you HRH or Claudio?)

I agree with every word you write apart from the final two sentences

13. chas mobile says:

Good Europa draw 🙂

Thanks for the rant Arnie. I must say that if I had to choose between the UK’s overphysical rugby-style and the continental comic opera style I may well plump for the former – but actually I’d prefer neither 🙂

King Claudio, thank you for sharing your ‘breathless sarcasm’ with us.

We welcome supporters of all persuasions on AA, the only stipulation is that you tell us which team you support so we can judge the exact level of hypocrisy in your comment 🙂

16. Red Arnie says:

ha ha. good discussion.

Top comments, especially Micky and GiE. 🙂

Raddy, refereeing will be part 2 of the rant (which I hope will come some time later). 🙂

Micky. You echo my thinking in the main. It is cultural. We love a good old fashioned brawl and we are actively trying to shape our football in that fashion. We are therefore also too forgiving towards the Shitecross and Barton-ders. 🙂

And Chas, we need to move from this just a little bit, towards the Alves-Alba model. 😛

And GiE, what can I say! Just a top top comment. 🙂

17. Red Arnie says:

Rasp. Nice way of putting it. 🙂

18. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. “Football: A game for Gentlemen played by Thugs. Rugby: A game for Thugs played by Gentlemen.” 🙂

19. chas mobile says:

I presume King Claudio refers to Ranieri. Maybe mentioning Danny ‘slice em in half’ Drinkwater touched a nerve. 🙂

20. Red Arnie says:

Good deduction, Chas Holmes! 🙂

21. Red Arnie says:

There are the usual suspects, but here is one of my favourites.

22. Herb's Army says:

Thanks Arnie.
    My opinion is that over the last two days, Rasp has been incredibly conservative with his choice of Posts, and ignored an opportunity to start a big, reflective conversation on a subject still very raw.
    No disrespect, Arnie, your topic of conversation is indeed valid, but it avoids everything that’s happening at Arsenal.
    Are we just too scared to ask the big questions, thrash it out,and boil it down so that we get some sort of sense of what’s going on?
    Is ‘AA’ the ‘Marie Antoinette’ of Arsenal blogs – ‘There’s no CL…’ – ‘Then give them the Emirates Cup…’

It’s almost as if BT and Sky think we’re in with a shot at winning the League.
    They must be barking.

Europa League round of 16 draw

Shakhtar Donetsk v Anderlecht

Basel v Sevilla

Villarreal v Bayer Leverkusen

Athletic Bilbao v Valencia

Liverpool v Manchester United

Sparta Prague v Lazio

Borussia Dortmund v Tottenham

Fenerbahce v Braga

Looks like UEFA have decided they do not want a PL winner of the Europa.

Could it be to do with the CL co-efficient and our 4 places?

Completely bent.

26. Red Arnie says:

hmm. Raddy. not unlikely.

I thought it was a great draw, BR.
    I haven’t watched any of it this week but will be interested in both dippers v manc and Dortmund v spuds.

I think we’ll be ok with the coefficients this season.
    We’re slightly ahead of the Italians so far.
    With Napoli and Fiorentina going out yesterday, they’re only left with Lazio in the Europa.
    Roma and Juve in the CL could both go out to Real Madrid and Bayern.

Or did you mean the Europa winners getting us a 5th place in the CL?

29. Shard says:

Quality rant arnie.

I don’t know whether it’s rugby or just the culture, but even in the rugby, my feeling is England play a more dirty/violent game than the rest. Perhaps with the exception of Scotland 😛

English football does need to improve the way they play football. They tend to blame everything else except themselves when it comes to not performing on the world stage. More focus on the technical, slightly less on the physical attributes, and they should see immense improvements. I believe if they move a little towards the continent, combined with their current abilities, they could have the makings of a fantastic team. Kind of like the Invincibles, though I realise they never conquered Europe.

Of course they’ll also need to protect the technical players against the Bartons of the league, and that just won’t happen until refereeing is made more transparent, and possibly more Southern as well.

30. Shard says:

Raddy

England’s place is under threat from Italy, I believe. And there’s just one Italian team in there.

The other threat could be Germans and both German clubs have tough challenges (Tottenham against Dortmund will be interesting)

I think in this case, Uefa isn’t out to take away England’s spot. English teams are the most popular and that tends to bring them more money after all.

31. Shard says:

Or what chas said

32. fatgingergooner says:

I think there is an issue within the England set up when it comes to technically gifted footballers, espescially in midfield. We only ever seem to have room for 1 as we insist on having robust tacklers surround them to protect the defence. Maybe we should try flooding the midfield with technically gifted footballers and actually try keeping the football, like Spain do.

In the past we’ve failed to find room for players like Mcmanaman, Le Tissier etc and we seem to be making the same mistakes with the likes of Lallana, Wilshere (asked to play holding midfield!) and Barkley missing out on games in favour of workers like Milner, Delph and Henderson.

Surely it would help the PL if the image of the national team was more technical?

Hi Herb @1:45, I wrote a post after the Barca game and followed it up the next day with a poll relating to the same game. Bloggers were able to make any point in relation to those games or the wider topic of Arsenal/football ….. nothing conservative in that.

As far as today’s post is concerned, I asked if anyone could come up with a rant and Arnie volunteered so I was very happy to use it.

After what’s been going on, I am not happy to be accused of any sort of selective publishing or bias.

If bloggers want to discuss any particular topic, all they have to do is write a post and submit it to the site.

34. Herb's Army says:

Hi Rasp

I respect your decision to publish Arnie’s Post, but we have deeper issues within our club that are never really breached.
    We never truly discuss the structure or the philosophy, we amble along contented to sit in the second tier despite having top tier wealth. Arsenal have the most patient, forgiving fans in the world.
    Should we be grateful for a top four finish and CL elimination in the Round of 16 for the last six years, knowing that we’re light years away from actually winning it?
    I thought we were the fifth/sixth wealthiest club in world football.

35. fatgingergooner says:

Hi Herb,

You should start your own blog and then you can thrash out any subject you see fit for discussion.

36. fatgingergooner says:

I like the EL draw. Might have given a bit of credibility back to the competition seeing a few decent teams drawn against each other with a CL place up for grabs. Some great fixtures in there and ones I would happily watch, which makes a change for that competition.

Well done Arnie

I don’t have much to say on the subject but I did enough reading it.

Excellent rant Arnie. I align myself with all those that feel we need a bit more movement towards the continental football but not to the outright cheating level of Barca.

I agree with your views in this post and it has been a bug bear of mine for some time that English football is stuck in a groundhog day situation. It is its own fault though as there is a refusal to move forward. Wenger had this one spot on and has said about this for many years now, but he is just a pesky moanie Frenchie after all…..

I also hate the hypocrisy of English football in allowing an overly physical approach to be a leveler against teams trying to develop a more technical game, but then bemoaning the fact that we are shite at a European and International level and starting all this Sabre rattling that we must do something about it.

Want to have your cake and eat it eh. You can’t really do one without addressing the other, but then so many fans, pundits, and other managers seem to wear this British physical approach to the game as a badge of honour that I can’t see them changing anytime soon, if ever.

The great talks and commitments to improve the technical level of English football after embarrassing showings is just talk and only for show IMO.

Another example that made me laugh is good old Allardyce. He has bemoaned the lack of opportunity for the top jobs to English managers and still states that he would like the national managers job at some point. All this while saying in his autobiography how much he loved getting in Arsenals faces because they didn’t like it up em, or something to that effect.

The England job eh Sam? Can’t wait to see how that would work out with your ideologies to football management. You have to wonder why he and so many other British managers aren’t doing anything themselves abroad like the overseas coaches are doing here. Probably easier to come from a technical background and mix in and add a bit of physicality than to come from a physical approach background into a more technical environment.

I could imagine him at some Spanish side. “Mr Sam we have a very good quick skillful player, a bit like Messi and a similar size and build”……”Never mind that Pedro, whose the biggest bloke in the village?”.

Blimey Herb

They are always crying out for people to write posts, fill ya boots mate.

40. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

Do you listen to the Tuesday Club podcast? I always remember Alan Davies taking the piss out of Allardyce claiming he could manage Real Madrid. I think it went something like ‘Oi, Casillas, don’t pass it out, HOOF IT OUT!’ and ‘Oi, Raul, GET STUCK INTO HIM!’. 😂😂😂

we have a new FIFA president – Gianni Infantino. Welcome and good luck with tackling Septic residues

42. fatgingergooner says:

Poor lad. That’s worse than getting the Villa job! They would be better just scrapping it and starting again.

well, at least FIFA didn’t nominate the Shikh despite his pedigree in all footballing matters. Good start if you ask me

44. fatgingergooner says:

I’m just not sure they can recover from the damage done. Every decision they make will be seen as bent by someone. I suppose he can’t do any worse than those before him!

he is young, well educated, football fanatic. Sadly he supports Inter
    AND
    1. Hates flying.
    2. Loves Italian food.
    3. Photographic memory.
    4. Supports Inter.
    5. 4 Daughters – wow!!! I like him already

46. Herb's Army says:

Hi LB

I think someone like Kelsey or Cockie would make a better job of it than me. I’ve tried before and been shot down by people’s affection for the manager in spite of on-field performances, which makes it impossible.
    This is a very pro-Arsene Wenger site, with many personal friends chatting via the blog, but if you asked the whole of the Arsenal fan-base whether or not Arsene Wenger should be allowed to stay on, the result would be too close to call.

Herb, rather than brand AA as a pro Arsene site, perhaps you should view us as a pro positivity site. We can acknowledge problems and flaws but nothing we say or write will change anything – so it is better to enjoy the football and the act of supporting, otherwise we just drag ourselves and others down

48. Herb's Army says:

Respectfully, I disagree, Rasp.
    Someone at Arsenal obviously reads this blog, else you wouldn’t have been approached by them to use GunnerN5’s historical musings on the club’s official site. Where there’s a will there’s a way. And you know Pat Rice as a friend, so it wouldn’t be impossible for you to relay the frustration of the fans to him.
    The act of supporting and the quality of football has become far too sanitised and drained a lot of the natural enjoyment which makes it impossible to get excited about.

49. King Claudio says:

No what “touched a nerve” was the sight of Arsenal players giving a lap of honour after beating Leicester City at home, Arsenal players taking photos of each other after beating Leicester City at home, and stories of Arsenal players serenading each other after being Leicester City at home. But I suppose that’s what teams do when they beat teams above them in the league. I wouldn’t know, nobody is above us.

And then when you get schooled by Barcelona, you all shriek “cheats”, as if that’s the only possible reason for losing! Ever wonder where Sanchez picked up his card-waving habit? Or does it not count when it’s one of your players? Never known a more classless set of supporters. You’re not the best team in the world. You’re not the best team in Europe. You’re not the best team in England. You’re not the best team in London. Have some humility every now and then and you might learn to actually enjoy watching football instead of forever picking faults in it.

Hi again Herb, you quote GN5 therefore so will I …. The problem is that we just keep going over the same old ground. We know your views, we know cockie’s views, we know Kelsey’s views, and we also know that nothing anyone writes will change those views – so we don’t try to argue against them, it would be pointless. We enjoy the act of blogging and lively discussion but self flagellation gets you nowhere 🙂

51. Herb's Army says:

No problem, Rasp, let’s hope we beat United on Sunday and use it as a springboard to win the league 🙂

someone calling himself King preaches about humility, oh ho ho ho I am laughing 🙂 comment of the day 🙂

‘King Claudio’ you are a guest on an Arsenal blog site – what do you expect?

If you had read this site after the Leicester game, you would realise that we were very disappointed by Leicester’s play in that game, especially the off the ball stuff. Why did your boys choose to play as if managed by Allardyce for that game?

Are you on here because you are mentally preparing yourself for not winning the league?

the King will be beheaded 🙂

Great rant Red Arnie

I had a bet with myself as to who would be the first in comments to mention the quote about rugby and football: take a bow BR.

Chas – 10.27 – hilarious.

I would love to take two things from rugby: the zero tolerance shown to anyone questioning the ref’s decision; and the video replays.

King Claudio seems so angry. Baffles me. If I’d supported a shit team all my life and now they were top of the league I’d be in a permanent state of bliss.

Whenever Arsenal are riding high I feel on top of the world – and I’m certainly not consumed with hate to the extent that I would go out of my way to vent my anger on another team’s blog. Most bizarre. Are you sure you’re not really King George III ?

You should calm down and enjoy the ride mate.

was King George III beheaded?

I am watching some rugby. Any national anthem played immediately after La marseillaise will sound poor. Welsh was particularly poor, sounded like a funeral tune

No Eddie, he went mad and lost America.

What’s the Polish anthem like?

I love Land of my Fathers. A funeral tune? You must be deaf

62. VCC says:

Herb….if you ask bloggers/supporters privately, most would say they have had enough of him…….but strangely on this site they are afraid to go against the IWWT.

63. Red Arnie says:

Thanks everyone. I had we had a decent day’s blogging. Sorry I was not around much. Such is life these days, I am afraid.

Top comment GB. 🙂

64. Red Arnie says:

Herb, AA is usually struggling for contributors these days. Every little helps. Just my tuppence to add to all the others.

65. Red Arnie says:

I mean, “I think we had”

66. fatgingergooner says:

The way I see this sight is that Arsenal still comes above everything else regardless of who owns the club or manages the team. Unfortunately I do believe there are supporters and sites out there who have allowed their dislike of Wenger or the board or both to be greater than their support of Arsenal, and if that’s true then it’s a real shame that they feel that way. Arsenal Football Club should always be number 1.

Sorry to talk dirty so early, but off in car shortly for six hours oh happy days, but it is a must win game for Utd

Like Europa draw

Wenger Out, and Wenger In. There, there, all happy.

Woof or Meow, don’t mind 🙂

Chas
    Love it that our comments yesterday, one minute apart, attributed everything to drinking 🙂

Rugger day. What fiun. Really enjoyed last night’s slugfest.

Hope you are going somewhere pretty.

Morning Erik
    Damn, missed it. Who played/won?

No. Cotswolds. Six hour round trip 🙄

Herb & VCC. Instead of complaining about AA not addressing real issues – write a post

I promise we will publish it.

I used to live in Slad and then Cranham (just outside Painswick). Still have huge affection for the Cotswolds.

Say hello for me.

Micky. Wales/ France. A defensive battle. Big men bashing each other. None of that poncey Wresting rubbish.

It was Celts vs Gauls

Ok Erik, I might say hello for you 🙂

The best thing is en route, just off the M4, is Westonbirt Arboretum. The finest collection of trees in the country. It is THE finest stretch yer legs place in England.

Wow. Superb. 19-10 win for The Welsh. Good news.

Ok. Time for blast off.

Westonbirt is just fab. HAGD

Raddy – I didn’t say Welsh anthem is a funeral tune, but after La Marseillaise it sounded like one, that’s all

Polish national anthem

Eddie. I would say that both are stirring anthems unlike GSTQ, which is why the rugger-buggers sing Swing Low

what surprises me is the fact that no big clubs are chasing Rainieri. His success at Leicester alone should attract attention of trophy hunters

Eddie, if Ranieri was to win the PL, it would be his only major title.

There wasn’t a list of clubs queueing up for him and the media had their knives waiting for “the tinker man” a name they gave him. I’m glad he has done so well because he is a manager who you can see develops relationships through communication and encouragement.

thanks GiE ! So in a nutshell he never won anything and is unlikely to win now 🙂 I hope your neighbours are ready for today’s game

I have been thinking about that comment by VCC especially the part when he says that privately when asked most bloggers/supporters would say that they have had enough of him. (Wenger)

At first I just thought – nonsense – but I really have had enough of arguing the Wenger in out question and so I simply moved on but it stayed with me and then I realised that he is probably right, most bloggers when asked would answer that they have had enough of Wenger but the thing is the majority of Arsenal supporters are not bloggers. The majority go to the games or watch at home and understand the financial restraints that the Wenger has been working under.

The majority of bloggers would have Wenger gone but blogging is the domain of those who want to complain rather than show their appreciation.

Different gravy

LB….brilliant.

LB. Excellent. The BBC recently did a poll as to whether AW should stay – almost 70% voted Yes (though of course many could be non-AFC fans)

clumsy blind – bad luck awaiting him everywhere (roughly)

91. Shard says:

It’s not like bloggers have been averse to saying Wenger out. In fact we heard it all the time. Now it has quietened down a bit because despite shifting the goalposts, Wenger has started to deliver and prove them wrong. Now it’s more ‘subtle’ things like ‘we’ll never progress’ or ‘we’re the 6th richest so we we’re under-performing’ (ignoring how we progressed to be 6th ‘richest’, and what the plan has been all along)

And they have always tried to intimate that they are in larger numbers than they are. When they claimed season tickets sales were fast dwindling because no one wants to watch Wengerball anymore. When the AST claim to speak on behalf of all Arsenal fans, and when black scarfists and garbage baggers hold protest marches, they all say they represent more fans than they can possibly hope to.

But through being vocal (and support from the mainstream media), they have managed to affect the narrative around the club, and they almost got their wish. But almost is all it was, and thankfully that narrative is now fast becoming less relevant and just plain tedious. Wenger stayed. Get over it.

92. Shard says:

I rant a day late 🙂

“The idea that most bloggers are only being polite in not voicing their dissent for Wenger is ridiculous. An entire blogging industry is spawned just off of that vocal demand.”

Fine work Shard

Morning I agree with VCC who until very recently attended most games at least at Home.

With all due respect I think you are wrong LB.neither of us know the actual percentage of people who blog and those who attend but of course the Interner being world wide that isn’t really a true reflection. Many of the leading Arsenal blogs are run by American Gooners, ACLF has predominently American posters etc.

I have spoken to a few people on here who say exactly what VCC has said.Privately they think and say entirely differently to what they actually write.I have never worked that out.

The laastest statement implies we are paupers and to me the accounts never make sense and everyone knows they can be manipulated.

Two old foxes meet tomorrow,both past their sell by date so it will be interesting to see the tactics employed.

I have never waivered and I sincerely hope we do win the league and cup but seriously doubt it.

Jonathan Northgate of The Times said last week what I and many others thought that Wenger had admitted if we had lost to Hull in 014 he would have walked, despite never ever breaking a contract.

I am a true fan despite what many think but injuries,an attack totally out of form, non consistent, poor passing all these things are visible to anyone who attends or watches on TV. We maybe second in the table today but hand on heart we haven’t played well for months,and now is a really crucial time for that to change. if we fall away yet again Wenger should leave whilst he is still revered otherwise the fanbase will get extremely nasty yet again.

Bolloxs to the lot of you in the nicest possible way. You are awful but I like you all 😉

96. Shard says:

kelsey

Unless there was another interview where he said that, Wenger never ‘admitted’ he would have left. He said ‘I don’t know’ in the press conference, and when asked if it would have been difficult to stay, he agreed it would, but still maintained ‘I don’t know’. I think he also said a 17 year career coming down to one match wasn’t an idea he agreed with. The bit about respecting contracts was relevant because he was out of contract at the end of that season. The club announced his extension after we won the FA Cup.

I’m an uncomfortable reader of this current string of comments.

I would ask you all (particularly those who think they’re disenfranchised) to consider this ……

What you actually want is for everyone who has a different opinion to you to stop and say …. “of course, you are right, I was wrong all the time”

You seek affirmation that your view is correct and that others have got it wrong …. but that is never going to happen because we will never all agree, it is part of the human condition.

The only difference between the people on either side of this debate is in their ability to accept the other’s view even though they don’t agree.

I frequently get peeved about things I think the club is getting wrong, but I’m not going to let it dominate my life or spoil the enjoyment I get from supporting Arsenal.

I don’t want this site to be a battleground, we have always sought to keep it friendly and trudging over the same old ground time and time again gets us nowhere except exasperated and bored.

98. Shard says:

Rasp, sorry but one last thing.

If bloggers are saying something other than what they think, the question is why? Is it really the peer pressure. I have no doubt that exists.

But isn’t it possible that when you discuss your views with someone who may not necessarily agree with you, you find out that in the process of trying to explain and present your viewpoint, you actually have to be more considered than a simply ‘I want him to stay/go’ visceral reaction, that causes the difference in emphasis, if not opinion?

99. Shard says:

Offski… weekend fun!

True dat Rasp, I have sat on my fingers as much as possible recently when it comes to things other than the football. Opinions are fine but when incorrect facts are rolled out I have to step in.

I come here to enjoy company of fellow supporters, there is enough going on during games to keep the blog alive they are things we all see and can’t be ignored, me andGoonerB have had many discussions about the tactics without it resorting to a conversation about whether the manager should stay or go or personal attacks on the manager or running of the club.

Rasp – of course, you are right, I was wrong all the time

Hi GiE, I think offering the opposing view and stepping in when someone has demonstrably got their facts wrong is a big part of what makes a blog tick and is welcomed.

We can all learn something from others, I certainly know where my limitations lie and bow to the greater knowledge of others on here in certain areas.

GoonerB is an excellent example of a blogger who has recently found himself in the minority but still manages to debate his points without accusations or name-calling.

I suppose it is more down to the ego of the individual. If you have confidence in your view, why would you feel the need to impose it on others? Evangelising is not my thing.

😆 Eddie, I accept your opinion even though I disagree 🙂

Shard

Listen to me young man, I am telling you this is 100% fact,I do occasionally know a bit more than you 😉

105. Herb's Army says:

Morning all.

Apologies if I’ve started any unpalatable disagreements, Rasp,
    I assumed this was a forum for discussing everything Arsenal, good or bad.

Herb, have you understood nothing I have written?

Absolutely AA is “for discussing everything Arsenal, good or bad”, that’s not what we are talking about here.

We have never stopped anyone commenting on the Arsenal just because their opinion is not welcomed by others.

It appears that some readers don’t like the views commonly expressed on here and think that we are in some way failing them …… this I would contest……

These words in about AA ring as true today as they did 5 years ago …

“The character and standpoint of the site is created by you, the bloggers – there is no single site owner with a drum to bang!

All opinions and viewpoints can be freely expressed, all we ask is that no-one descends into insults and name-calling”

If I could add anything to about AA, it would be that simply repeating the same mantra over and over again is counterproductive and actually kills debate.

I’m pretty sure that most regulars on here will be aware that Herb, Cockie, Kelsey, VCC and some others want Arsene Wenger out. You don’t think he’s the best man for the job any more etc etc.

That’s fine, there are no gasps of horror, it is an opinion we’ve heard expressed many times.

108. Herb's Army says:

That’s reasonable enough, Rasp.
    If I supported any other top club in England, I’d be begging Arsene Wenger to stay at Arsenal for as long as he likes.

Oops, I forgot to add Eddie to the ‘out’ list 😕

Don’t forget we have a regular ‘Have Your Vote’ feature. One of you could write a post for a vote if that is what you wish.

Personally, I’m putting all of that to one side as I feel I must support the team in every way possible at such a critical point in the season. I’d hope we’d all agree that sacking the manager at this point would not be a good idea (even if we wanted him out!!)

and Didit. sometimes. Fickle character that one.

I am not sure I can take this debate seriously, sorry 🙂 We are all adults (except for chas) and experienced bloggers, and surely we know to take anything here with a large pinch of salt.

Herb. This is a genuine question.

Do you think that if Wenger had managed Chelsea when Abra poured money into them that he would not have won the League multiple times?

Or Man City?

True Eddie but I enjoy a gentle scrap early in the morning

114. Herb's Army says:

It’s impossible to answer that question, Raddy.
    He likes to remind us of a long list of ‘worldies’ that he ‘nearly signed’, and that he’s had ‘good offers from big clubs in Europe’, but he has never really tested himself or put himself in the firing-line among the elite echelons of football
    I’m sure he was well aware that his early success at Arsenal was enough to buy him the goodwill, gratitude and patience he needed following the stadium move, something he wouldn’t necessarily have been granted at any other major club, so he was very comfortable at Arsenal. We made it very easy for him to stay.
    b) he was only really competing against United, c) with physically powerful players who were technically very gifted, and something he has never replicated since moving to The Emirates.

Yes, and yes.

Oh and the proof of that was he was doing so on a regular basis before those had even heard of the EPL.

117. Herb's Army says:

Really LB? Where, Japan?
    A French title with Monaco doesn’t constitute doing something on a regular basis.
    He tried implementing a similar youth policy at Monaco to the one he has over-seen at Arsenal, but they plummeted down the league and sacked him. The fact that Arsenal are a lot bigger structurally than Monaco meant that we were better equipped to deal with Arsene Wenger’s whims, but no-one could say that our youth system has been successful or that it has beared fruit for us.
    If anything, it has been a complete failure.

118. Red Arnie says:

motning all! we want a good old fashioned brawl! 😛

why is my name in the Wenger OUT club? I want to join the group and then destruct it from the inside! 😛

Seriously, Herb, VCC and Kelsey. After all of that, we deserve a few posts from you all. 🙂

Excellent we have Indian film music back on AA. Can’t get that on any other Arsenal blog 🙂

Thanks Arnie

120. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. 🙂

I have held the same views for quite a while now and regardess what happens this seaso we need at least 4 to 5 players leaving or going out on loan or retiring which have to be replaced and in addition we have to add at least another 2 extremely gifted players to the squad. I would prefer a new man to do this.I am not advocating that AW should be fired,sacked or whatever NOW as IMO he should have gone 2 years ago but he didn’t and I know he is fully committed perhaps over committed and often has some very strange post match interviews.

If only Dein was still at the club,it would have made it a lot easier for AW.

Afternoon all. Just for the record I don’t want Arsene gone but I don’t agree with the way he is doing everything currently, and think he is selling himself and the team short. I don’t see many better options about anyway. Had Guardiola indicated a commitment to a longer term project I may have considered otherwise.

I echo GIE that I enjoy blogging with him and sharing our different views on things…..albeit safe in the knowledge that I am right 🙂

123. Le Coq Monster says:

Quite funny reading live text on BBC, both commentators and many Leicester twitterers complaining about Norwich parking the bus and asking how will Leicester score. Well they will have to attack first.

125. Le Coq Monster says:

I agree with Kelsey, accountants can and will manipulate to suit !………….eg`…………In Europe or out ?……….all the MP`s will have accountants who will come up wth figures that suits their view.
    All I want is an impartial honest unbiased view to whether we should be in Europe or not and at the end of the day, just like Arsenal, it`s all down to money !.
    Someone must have factual figures that cannot be denied as it should be a matter of mathematics, but see how many different answers we will get from a simple equation !.
    Simple fact is, Gazidis said we would have £70M to spend every season and that was before the new TV deal comes out next season !.
    So a question the the AA acountants, this £5B deal, how much extra will that put on top of the existing £70M per season ?. I know Exile cant refuse such a question ! hahaha

Sanogo scores for Charlton

Considering my estimates were proved right by the six month figures you should have an interesting read Cockie.

Want to know where this stupid £70m comes from? Read this.

“Asked if Arsenal were now potentially in a position to pay a £25 million transfer fee and wages of £200,000 a week for one player, Gazidis said: “Of course we could do that. We could do more than that.”

So all he said was we could should we want to buy a player for £25m and pay him £200k a week, yep total £70m. Doesn’t say we could do it every year does he?

But what we did do since then is buy two £40m players and pay them somewhere around £150-£200k a week, so hasn’t really lied has he?

Sorry facts and all that.

128. Le Coq Monster says:

Wrong answer !…………………..the question was about the £5B !. 🙂

I have had more accountants work for me than MacDonalds you may have had GIE :), We never pay the whole amount up front usually spread over years and you or anyone can show me as many vesrsions of the alleged state of our accounts and no one will agree and to be sure the Board is a closed shop and I am certain all our published accounts are manipulated.

I sometimes wonder if this really was worth the move some 10 years later with still 14 years on the mortgage to pay so the optimum is to stay in the top 4 perhaps drop out one year but better still Stan either put real money into the club or as I probably think,sell when it suits him.he has no interest whatsoever in Arsenal winning major trophies,and we all know his track record in The States is abysmal.

Sanogo gets second

Not sure if I want Leicester to win or not.

Kelsey so we manipulate our numbers and mislead the auditors year on year, as a publicly traded company do you know quite how serious an accusation that is? Wonder why I am rude sometimes, because of ridiculous comments like that that have simply no basis in truth. And are not even worth giving an answer to.

Ask Tesco shareholders who were mislead for several years.

The accounts comply to accounting standards, what areas do you believe that the figures are manipulated? Please tell me.

In fact Sir Chips this year is explaining in quite some detail how a change in Accounting Standards (to FRS102) has meant we have to reduced profits (increased losses) due to changes and he goes to some effort to explain why those figures are not as bad as it would seem without understanding the change.

We are not a club interested in reducing our profit or showing a reduced profit. But for the giggles please tell me how you believe the club is massaging the figures. What could they possibly do. They simply have no choice than to present the information in line with Accounting standards, 80% of all income information will be as a result of formal legal contracts and known (commercial deals, tv money, competition prize money, transfer fees etc etc). The rest will be through the bank or are we stockpiling cash in a mattress beneath the Emirates from shop sales and pie sales?

Seriously is you really think the numbers are false take it to the authorities, otherwise I’d avoid putting things like that down in print because a lawyer at the club might see it as libellous.

media frenzy 🙂 :

“Arsenal fans demand Yaya Sanogo is recalled for Barcelona after first goal for Charlton”

134. Red Arnie says:

22 minutes to go. will the bubble burst?

135. Red Arnie says:

Too much in the Giro mould, and therefore no reason to bring him back, but I like Sanogo

GIE

I am not interesting in debating with you, never have been, sorry.

Oh I forgot there is a an aura about you GIE which I and others find rather distasteful. I will not respond to anyone who sits on their high horse all the time.Not a good PR for this great blog.

Of course not Kelsey why would you include my name when you addressed me?

Bye AAers it’s been fun.

140. Red Arnie says:

6 minutes

141. Red Arnie says:

dont, GiE. come on, Kelsey and GiE. nice handbags and all that, now behave. 🙂

GIE. I hope that is a farewell and not a goodbye.

Chavs and Leicester score.

Exciting

144. fatgingergooner says:

Good win for Leicester. Their fixtures definitely mean they are going to take some catching. A win against United tomorrow would very nice.

I am watching Chelsea and they could have had 4 in the second half. Maybe the gods are with leicester.

for what it is worth I think that GiE is a terrific guy. Completely incomprehensible at times, but I am sure he is not bluffing. Or is he 🙂

everybody is upset now. fucking great.

It’s OK Evonne,don’t fret.We all have our own opinions even though I am not an accountant I have dealt with many in my lifetime. If GIE was an accountant or not it isn’t the first time he has been rather blunt or rude.

Maybe I shouldn’t have replied, so apologies for that,but there is absolutely no need to talk down to another blogger as if they were some higher being, so maybe a lesson can be learnt by that.

I wont talk Arsenal accounts on here again as I obviously haven’t got a clue 😉 That’s a promise.

Kelsey – I met GiE on a number of occasions and I guarantee you that he is one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

It is the electronic communicating – things can be misinterpreted because you don’t see the person in front of you, you don’t hear the voice, little smile, body language.

Please guys, we have lost so many good blogger, we cannot afford to lose any more. I don’t particularly fancy getting up every morning and only have DidIt to talk to

150. chas mobile says:

Me, too.

151. chas mobile says:

Or was it, me, too?

152. chas mobile says:

Me neither?

153. chas mobile says:

Bollocks

154. Red Arnie says:

me too? oh dear!

GiE, come back. Please. 🙂

155. Shard says:

I’d like to reply to Herb’s assertions.

1) He likes to remind us of a long list of ‘worldies’ that he ‘nearly signed’,

he doesn’t ‘like to remind us’ of the players he nearly signed. He simply answers when he’s asked questions in that context. Only those opposed to Wenger read into it as if he’s bragging about it. The rest of us simply look at it as an interesting snippet and if you’re having fun then imagine what the alternate history could have been. Any club/manager will have targets that ultimately they couldn’t sign for one reason or another. Why is this something Wenger is maligned for?

2) he’s had ‘good offers from big clubs in Europe’, but he has never really tested himself or put himself in the firing-line among the elite echelons of football

Bayern Munich even when they hired Guardiola said they always consider Wenger even now, since they missed out on him in 94. But it’s interesting how devoting his career to Arsenal is a sign of him being unambitious or not putting himself out there. Me thinks you are contradicting your stand on Arsenal being a super duper club which Wenger is dragging down, by equating his staying with us as a stay out of the firing line.

3)He is a huge critic of financial doping, so taking either of those jobs would have surely compromised his socialist principles. Although one has to wonder how on earth Theo is worth £140k a week.

He has no ‘socialist’ principles when it comes to footballers wages. I know he used the word, but it has to be seen in context. The wage bill at the time was just reflective of us not able to pay the top salaries, so we paid medium range salaries to a larger number of players, and because we couldn’t pay big transfer fees, we signed players on potential. Also, there have been studies (in US sports) to show that teams outperform their spending when pay disparity is lower among the players. It’s simply a way of making players feel like they are an important part of the TEAM. Something Wenger does give more importance to than individuals.

Taking a job at City or Chelsea was a hypothetical question. But even so, it doesn’t compromise anything. One can be a critic of a system while participating in it. After all Wenger doesn’t like the culture of violence propagated in English football, yet he manages at Arsenal. There’s no hypocrisy in that.

Theo Walcott is an individual case. If you are using him to make a larger point about the wage bill, make it. On its own, there are reasons for Walcott’s high wages, even if he’s not ‘worth it’.

4)He has made us a bigger, more global brand, but his success came when: a) he virtually had the French market to himself (in England),

By the way, he wasn’t only competing against ManU. When he came to our club, Spurs, Villa, Everton and Liverpool all had higher or similar revenues as us. The fact that he consistently outperformed them (and occasionally outperformed a ManU that had MUCH more resources than us) is why we have the ‘6th wealthiest’ club in world football.

Every manager won titles under a certain set of circumstances. If you are listing these as a kind of counter to Wenger deserving of those titles, that is mean spirited. I mean, you need to resort to re-writing history to diminish the quality of the man. That says it all.

5)’He tried implementing a similar youth policy at Monaco to the one he has over-seen at Arsenal, but they plummeted down the league and sacked him.’

That Monaco youth system had Theirry Henry, Emmanuel Petit, and Lillian Thuram. They plummeted down (at the start of a season) after they kept selling their best players for years, and their board didn’t stick with him through it after he turned down Bayern Munich to see out his contract because they wouldn’t give permission for him to go.

6)The fact that Arsenal are a lot bigger structurally than Monaco meant that we were better equipped to deal with Arsene Wenger’s whims, but no-one could say that our youth system has been successful or that it has beared fruit for us.
    If anything, it has been a complete failure.

What ‘whims’? Revamping the academy is a whim? Maybe we should have stayed on university pitches. People forget that Wenger was criticised earlier for not giving academy players a chance. How coincidental that this move towards ‘project youth’ came just when we had put our money into building a new stadium. And what a failure to stay with those players in the top 4. Something everyone claims to hate but everyone chases after.

What do you want from a youth system Herb? On what basis do you declare it a failure?

157. fatgingergooner says:

Someone’s woken up on the right side of the bed! 😄

please don’t casgate Herb, he comes on here from time to time,never waivers from his views and is always polite. As Rasp said this isn’t an Asene Wenger can do no wrong site,it is open to debate,isn’t that what blogging is meant to be about. Opinions and facts are quite different but some put over their opinions as facts,but chas likes his videos 😉

Ozil missed training, hope he is fit to play

160. fatgingergooner says:

Is that dog called Diaby by any chance?

I’m pretty mad about what has gone on in the last 24 hours.

I’ve put an extra line in ‘About AA’ …. not that it will make a jot of difference to those who are intent on repeating the same point ad nauseam.

163. fatgingergooner says:

Leicester have really put the pressure on today with that last gasp winner, so a win is needed. I don’t see it as a must-win game as far as points needed at the end of the season, but confidence and momentum-wise it’s not far off.

We don’t often win at United in the league though and even with all their injuries I can see still see a draw, but I hope I’m massively wrong.

Fattie – I checked Leicester’s fixtures and thought they are not going to survive May. And then I checked our meetings – oh dear, not good. Leicester might actually rob our trophy, bastards

chas – the photo of Trump -what is all about?? strange

Rasp 7.37. You are not the only one.

Still ….. PM to write although FGG has summed up my thoughts in a few sentences above

167. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I still think they might crumble as they get closer to the finish line, but only if we can apply enough pressure.

Yesterday’s game against Norwich was a sign that they might struggle. All season they have played against teams who are happy to come onto them and they’ve been able to play on the break and use pace. From now on though they are going to get a taste of what we play against every week, which is 11 men behind the ball playing deep and parking the bus. Suddenly it becomes a lot more difficult for them to use their pace. It will be interesting to see if they can adapt.

have the Disgraceful Bros gone to OT? Early kick off, good excuse to start drinking at 8am I suppose

Fattie – yep, Danny Murphy did very good analysis of Leicester a couple of weeks ago and he said the same thing – they will not succeed against parked buses. Any team that opens up and plays attacking football they will punish. But the shoe is on the other foot they will lose. I hope that is the case, I want the trophy. No trophy = Wenger’s worst failure – au revoir le professeur

170. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

It’s a Sunday, that’s the only encouragement they need for an 8am session!

true 🙂 🙂 disgraceful 🙂 🙂

172. fatgingergooner says:

I’m sure your PM will be a lot more interesting than my thoughts on the game BR.

Although I must say I and a few others are getting a bit fed up with you repeating the same points over and over again every time we have a match. Have you not read the new and improved ‘about AA’!? 😂

😀 😀

I suppose I could write about the Viking invasion of Lindisafarne in 793 A:D:

Or have I covered that in the past?

174. fatgingergooner says:

If GiE doesn’t come back then we are going to end up with an unfinished swingometer! Seeing as nobody else understands it that’s going to be a bloody nightmare!!! 😄

bollix, but let’s move on 🙂
    laters, need to do me hair and nails for the game

Fattie – Gie will come back, he won’t let us down

177. fatgingergooner says:

I put Viking in the search bar BR and your name was on a lot of the posts!

Right, I’m off to go do my hair and nails ready for the game.

178. Herb's Army says:

Morning all.

Hi Shard.
    I’ll respond to you on this Post when BR’s pre-match goes up so that it doesn’t distract other bloggers from the days main event.

There is a New Post

180. Herb's Army says:

Right Shard, a bit to address.
    There isn’t another manager in the world that I can think of, who has reeled off the list of players that Arsene Wenger has in terms of ‘nearly signed’. I don’t think any other manager is quite as egotistical, and they don’t feel the need to constantly tell their fans what they’ve ‘nearly done’. It’s a default defence mechanism to justify his lofty position.
    Name me another top-level manager who has done this.
    So, Bayern Munich wanted Arsene Wenger in 1994. They could have had him in 1996 if they had put an interim manager in charge.
    They’ve not missed not having him though, have they? They’re miles above our level, and that is largely thanks to Arsene Wenger.
    Did you watch football in the 90’s???
    None of the four clubs you mention above – Spurs, Villa, Everton or Liverpool were serious title-challengers when Arsene Wenger arrived at Arsenal in October 1996.
    Likewise, occasionally out-performing United – who have MUCH greater resources – has nothing to do with Arsenal being the sixth wealthiest football club in the world.
    You really should swot up on your Arsenal history – Arsenal started as Dial Square, based in Woolwich, 1886 – otherwise there’s no point. Arsenal are so wealthy they were once known as ‘The Bank of England’ club.
    What has our over-hauled youth system produced? Youngsters nicked from Southampton, Barcelona or any other club don’t count, who have Arsenal produced from their youth academy with stand-out ability?
    Stop nit-picking on little inconsequential things and look at where Arsenal are in the bigger football scheme.
    We stink of stale mediocrity.

181. VCC says:

Herb……I’m sorry pal, but your wasting your time.