The Arsenal dressing room …… fiery cauldron or yoga retreat?

We have all heard interviews with ex-players where they’ve said that Arsene is not a ‘shouter’. He prefers calm and tranquillity in the dressing room before games and at half time. Yes he can get angry, but that is usually after the game when a performance has been poor. Arsene’s assistant managers also know they have to buy into the ethos and any over exuberance from them is viewed with disdain.

Our players stroll out onto the pitch in relaxed style, none of the fist pumping huddle stuff Southampton engaged in at The Emirates.

Arsene doesn’t necessarily see the role of captain as that of an on-pitch leader. With Cesc and BSR, it was a means of elevating the status of a player in order to try to keep them at the club. In Mertesacker he has a captain in his own image. A very nice guy, but not a marauding shouter by any means.

Arsene relies a lot on his players’ intelligence and probably believes that they should have the professionalism to self motivate – but is that expecting too much?

There have been times in recent years, and demonstrably in our last 4 or 5 performances when the team has been less than the sum of its parts. We’ve dropped points against sides where few if any of their players would get into the current Arsenal line-up …. why?

We are going to need to be a cohesive and determined team unit to beat Leicester at the weekend. The players will need to buy into a strategy for the game and must fight for one another. We must win more 50/50 battles than we lose. In short, we need to be a better team than of late.

The question I would ask is … “Would we see a more battling performance from our players if the dressing room pre-game was more of a fiery cauldron than a yoga retreat?”

Rasp

69 Responses to The Arsenal dressing room …… fiery cauldron or yoga retreat?

Rasp. Thank you.

My guess is that the changing room is somewhere in between the cauldron and the gong bath.

Different people respond to different stimuli. For myself, if someone starts shouting at me there is an automatic F. Off switch in my head and I ignore them. I need to be coaxed or even better allowed space to self-assess.

Others, apparently, respond to aggression.

I admire AW’s management style of treating his players as adults but my guess is that Mr. Wenger is capable of making it very clear when the players are under-performing, without recourse to plate throwing and boot kicking

Morning, Rasper 🙂

To answer your question, I would need to say how I see the environment in which my answer makes any sense.

Your question, inevitably has a hypothetical element to it, as we have no real idea what the dressing room atmosphere is like before any match, cauldron or not.

However, given the public personas of the team, it is probably as good a guess as any to say that there is little heavy metal, or hard rock pounding out, and we do not seem to have any rambunctious characters in the team stirring things up so it probably is more zen like than not.

The current Arsenal team are capable of some tremendous and entertaining football, and without apparently needing any particular input from the captain of the day, or fiery exhortations before the game.

Trouble is, at least from the observations of this blogger, those exhilarating games are really few and far between, so if it needs a different approach from the one we surmise is the current calm, tranquil ethos, then I would vote for chaos!

A good Post, my man. 🙂

Incidentally, has there been any sightings of GN5?

Randy,

I have absolutely no idea of what a ‘bong bath’ is, but I suspect it may be a hippy expression, “between the cauldron and the gong bath” presumably meaning somewhere betwixt hot and cold.

Well you can’t be wrong there – it’s on a sliding scale somewhere from Zero degrees to boiling point. 🙂

Morning Raddy/Redders.

I don’t expect for one minute that Arsene can be anything other than the person he is = calm and considered. I seek to find an answer to why we, as a team, often lack fighting spirit.

As I touched on in the post, AW tends to bring in players in his own image (in terms of attitude, not appearance). Mertesacker is no Tony Adams. TA would have had a lot to say to his team mates after recent performances.

How can we get the players fired up if not by the manager or captain?

5. JM says:

Arsenal F.C. player focus:

6. JM says:

Per Mertesacker, DF
    DF:59, MF:39, FW:2
    Skill: Committed Wing Guardian
    Teamstyle: Defence-type (Covering emphasis)

Thanks Rasp will come back with comment on post in a bit.

Hahah Raddy. You are not doing anything to discourage Micky from continuing his stereotypical portrayal of you…..Gong baths and having ones own space to self reflect 🙂

RA I think so many topics and subjects that we all bring up or discuss on here are hypothetical. One could say that viewpoints are based on intuition, gut feeling, a reading between the lines or just reasonable circumstantial evidence. I suppose football blogging is mostly filled with views that have questionable hard evidence to back them. I think that is largely accepted on here anyway, unless someone is coming in with such outlandish statements that they do need to be pulled up ( me maybe 🙂 ).

Back in a bit Rasp.

I don’t think a top player needs to be “fired up”.

Does Messi get fired up? Or Ozil? Or Petr Cech

What is important is that each player is totally committed to giving their all for the cause and I believe our players do so.

How does a player show his commitment? Is Ozil less passionate about his game than say, Shawcross?

I don’t believe it,,,, and I don’t accept that a cauldron of a dressing-room helps unless one is in a sport that is focussed upon a physical battle (rugby, US Football etc).

Though I accept I may be in the minority 🙂

GB. Why let facts get in the way of a good discussion?

Good points Raddy. I think the danger is that if you leave too much to the players to decide their brand of commitment, you are not building a team commitment – just a range of individuals.

I’m not saying our players don’t play for one another, but do they always share the same approach to a game I wonder?

Cheers, Rasp.

Having finally finished ‘Invincible'(the Amy Lawrence book which came with the Members pack), it seemed to me that the motivation for the 2003/4 team was built over time, with training ground bust-ups, group discussions, team meals organised by Paddy, an all-round level of intelligence and a steely determination to be the best, both for themselves individually and for their teammates.

If we are to find ourselves properly ‘up’ for the game on Sunday, I’d imagine that this will be achieved by a rolling crescendo as the week progresses rather than from a Stuart Pearce, The Clash at maximum volume type approach just before the game.

The players must realise the significance of the game, surely? That has to be enough to get them up for it, doesn’t it?

Sunday’s performance has to be measured, powerful and professional and not frantic due to too much adrenaline. I’d prefer the ruthless approach of the assassin, to the aggressive drive of the cage-fighter.

Having said that, maybe a bit of tubthumping wouldn’t go amiss. 🙂

Ooops, just looked it up and we lost that game 2-4.

” I’d prefer the ruthless approach of the assassin, to the aggressive drive of the cage-fighter.” … beautifully encapsulated chas 🙂

…. however, assassins usually do their business without the opponent even being aware, let alone having similar intent …… whereas a cage fighter faces someone who is equally determined to smash their face in 😆

16. fatgingergooner says:

I think Wenger expects his players to provide the spark in the dressing room and on the pitch. We all know he puts lot of faith in his lads. In the past this has been misplaced and certain sides under Wenger have not had enough players willing to go and have a scrap if needs be. All dressing rooms have to have a balance of personalities though. Too much aggression and you end up like Stoke, too meek and you end up like some of our old teams!

With the current side though I think we are finally getting a very good balance of leaders, fighters, and the cool-headed players. I also think it’s important to have a variety of personalities in each part of the field (GK, DF, MF, ST). To improve the squad further I believe we still need a leader in MF and more aggression from our forward line (not Diego Costa style though!).

Ok, I’ve gone back to cage-fighter.

It doesn’t matter if you have an eyeball hanging out of its socket at the end of the fight as long as it’s the other bloke who doesn’t get up off the floor. 😆

Point taken, and you wouldn’t be much use in the next fight if your eyeball was hanging out 🙂

Beware bad language
    (only watched this film for the first time yesterday and loved it)

Rasper,

As an addendum to your question at the end of the Post, one could say that in days of yore, well back in the Tony Adams/Bouldy/Sol Campbell era, we not only had he commitment from them, they in turn wanted/expected/insisted on commitment from their team-mates, expressed with raised fists, expletive laden exhortations and a demonstration of what was required.

So, my question is; why did AW not replace the above guys and others like Patrick Vieira with similar fire breathing gladiators, and instead bought ‘nice’ self effacing, gentlemen players who may be just as hard working but do not really show the zeal fans respond to, which in turn makes the players to respond to the fans in a mutually beneficial cycle?

And while we are at it – why did he replace the Goliaths of yesteryear, who scared the crap out of the opposition, with the demure, physically lilliputian lads that we have today?

By the way, after blogging with you since circa 2010, wasn’t it nice of GB to explain the facts of blogging life to me earlier today? 🙂

Sheesh, I am so dim!

Rasp, an excellent post with a niche question. It is interesting that you and I think alike on many aspects of Arsenal and where we feel things are not being done as well as they should be. I would be interested to know if your post was stating what you believe or whether it was just an inspired bit of debate starting and you are not sure one way or the other?

I don’t know how you would have predicted my feelings on this, but it may surprise you (or may not) that my answer is no……hang on what was the question again? 🙂

I actually don’t believe in the ranting and raving style and that it would improve us, and it is here where we are critically lacking. I go back to my assertion that we should look towards the current top sides in Europe for the blueprint to what we should be doing. I think the modern top approach of coaches is towards more calmness as oppose to eyes bulging, vein throbbing on forehead, inventing a new colour of deep facial redness, type of management. Even Ferguson said he had to change his style from the infamous hairdryer approach to conform to the changing style of modern football.

I know this is the EPL but other top overseas coaches have come in successfully and haven’t resorted to being Frank Rottweiler just because they now operate in the English game. Similarly our own manager has proved historically successful in the EPL with his calm approach. There is a line though that, if players cross, stern words should be applied. Guardiola will likely do this and at times so too will Arsene.

The ranting and raving style is all too British. We seem to wear it as a badge of national pride, but I feel it is flawed in modern football and in my opinion is why we are always behind the top continental sides.

I think the same issue could be applied to English coaches and why they are behind their continental counterparts. We don’t seem to have many successful English coaches heading abroad, so when there is all that almighty complaint about them not getting a chance in favour of a foreign coach, I feel we need to look at the overall picture more. Look at whether they have that diverse enough skill set for modern top management, and whether the big problem is that they are all too steeped in that old British style.

Rasp, I am a far bigger believer in attention to detail and instruction at the top end of modern football. I saw an interesting interview with Eidur Gudjohnsen about Guardiola with his arrival due next year. He talked him up massively as a coach but made special reference to his attention to detail and instruction to players. He leaves no area unaddressed according to Gudjohnsen.

It is here where, ( my gut feeling, reading between the lines, conclusion from the circumstantial evidence 🙂 ), I feel Arsenal and Arsene have failed to keep up. I still feel he is stuck in an ideology of his players qualities winning the day with little attention to the opposition or the smaller details.

I don’t conform to the idea that these intelligent top players can fully work it out for themselves on the pitch and I would like to feel that Arsene is paying more attention to detail and giving the team better tactical instructions in the dressing room. My gut feeling tells me this doesn’t really happen, or at least nowhere near the level that other top coaches, and even some of the newer breed like Pochetinno are doing.

I feel we often look ragged and dis-jointed for these reasons rather than because we didn’t turn them into Berserker’s before they entered the fray.

If the players then fail to follow the details or instructions to the detriment of the team then yes have harsher words. I hope that answers your question Rasp. Let me know some time tomorrow when you have finished reading my comment 🙂

Haha, so many phone calls interrupting my typing of war and peace and I find that Raddy and Rasp have answered or taken my line of argument already. In answer to your question Raddy, you are not alone 🙂

I tend to agree with AW, and others on here, views about the captain bit as well. It is good to have a couple of roll your sleeves up, fists pumping, and lead by example type of players in the team. Flamini is that and Le Coq has that about him which I love, but others lead by example in other ways. Mertesacker leads by calm reassurance and Sanchez leads by exemplifying work-rate. A team needs a mix and a blend.

I don’t think Arsenal need their captain to be a fist pumper but more a calm experienced head who can direct and instruct the managers instructions and wishes on the pitch. Almost like a conductor. The rub is that the captain and whole team require those instructions in the first place to implement and follow, and at Arsenal currently?????

RA 🙂

Your welcome, always here to help 🙂

BTW Rasp, I do have a post in the pipeline for you. Will attempt to complete later but can’t make full promises on hitting that deadline.

Not too much tactical bolleux either, so Chas doesn’t even need to book annual leave to the Borneo rainforest 🙂

Thanks GB, looking forward to reading your post.

These ‘once a week’ posts I’ve been inflicting on everyone are usually borne from some discussion on the blog. Often I am writing it with someone else in mind and not necessarily giving my personal standpoint.

My view on today’s topic is that if you believe AW is doing a good job, then you’ll have to put up with his way of managing the dressing room because he’s not going to change his way of doing things.

The broader point is that individual spirit and team spirit are 2 different things. As I wrote last week, Alexis believes in closing down but is often not supported by the team. So one change I would like to see (or to be more accurate perceive through style of play) is a team plan, a team ethic, a team direction etc because at times, particularly when we lose our rhythm, it deserts us.

Hi Redders,

Although it’s an advantage to have tall guys to defend corners and strong men to resist tackles, other attributes take precedence. The ability to see a pass, to read the game, to create space, to bring others into play are obviously not size related. But when the going gets tough, big strong guys are useful I’ll admit 🙂

Rasp

Thank you for the post. It is a very, very important issue, and really is something worth discussing.

For my part, you will find this hard to believe, but I really do try and take some things seriously. Like your post today, for example.

My problems began about 30 seconds ago, when I read the very first comment. From Big Erik. By the time I got to this little gem ” I need to be coaxed or even better allowed space to self-assess” I was in tears.

I do find it very difficult.

Very busy, but will return later. Composed. Looking forward to reading the rest of the comments.

Told you Eric 🙂

Rasp, Cavani works hard 🙂

You have been doing a sterling job Rasp with posts and your topics have been excellent. Right off till later.

Ok so what is it that we appear to do I these games that leads us to the conclusion that the team are not “up for it”?

I wonder whether the problem is being too prepared, know too much the importance and the adrenaline actually prevents them rather than assists them.

I’ll give an example for me…background first I was the tunes man in the dressing room, would pick specific tunes for certain games, FA Cup games getting full attention and often had us bouncing out the dressing room. I was the man with the team building plan, first to rip the piddle out of others, organise socials etc etc.

We’d made the final of a competition and we’re playing a team 2 leagues above us, although we had knocked that team out of the FA Cup in the prelim rounds and fancied our chances as they were not in good shape.

I turned up two hours before kick off was in my kit when most of the rest of the players arrived had selected a playlist with a good uplifting tune perfectly timed for when we walked out…..we lost 4-0 and I had an absolute stinker threw in two and generally worried my defence for 90 minutes. It is possible to be too up for it.

I don’t know if that is what is happening to us or we have just been in a bad run of form, difficult to explain our starts in some games pre Christmas (United and City) compared to our starts against Spuds or Southampton.

Hi GiE, well wanting it too much/heavy expectation, is one possible reason. I thought clubs have special counsellors to help with this kind of problem. I know the psychological aspect is taken more seriously these days.

Rasp and others I will make this short.

Why do we more often than my liking start a game either on the back foot or lets say, what I would call lesser teams dominate us. I am talking about Home games.

This links in with your post. it’s just not acceptable.

That’s a reasonable question Kelsey … we’re looking for answers? 🙂

And Rasper, I have the same question about the Away games — and be quick about your answer!! 🙂

Micky, re Erik.

You were right to shed tears over poor old Erik the Red, for a very good reason.

You see, Rasper asked “Would we see a more battling performance if the dressing room, pre-game, was more of a fiery cauldron than a yoga retreat?”

Now as you know, and Erik made it clear as you repeated in your 12:26, that he takes hippiedom very seriously indeed, and has long ago adopted Rasp’s ‘fiery cauldron or yoga retreat’ to heart, and has his own amalgam of the two, in that he sits in the ‘Yoga Plank Pose’ with legs akimbo, and ass suspended over the waters of the ‘fiery cauldron’ while he meditates on yoga football matters.

There is talk of sad-masochism — involving a beautiful woman in his youth — but we should not go into all that. 😀

Apple spell-check does not like sado-masochism – and stuck sad in instead – but it needs to get out and experience life before being judgemental. 🙂

Rasp @ 12:25,

Have you noticed I respond to comments working back chronologically?

What I meant, Rasp, regarding the size of the matter – or the midgets in midfield (apology to all AA midgets) – is that there are far too many of them.

We need a sense of balance, with a little bit of this and a lot of that – and get away from this size-ist attitude towards tall, athletic, muscular men who run at pace, like me and Cockie. 🙂

Yes I got that Redders 🙂

As you know, different physical attributes are required for differient positions on the pitch. I don’t think a single one of the candidates for best striker of all time was more than 6ft (Ronaldo maybe the exception if he’s on your list), I’d guess the average would be around 5ft 9in = Messi, Best, Maradonna, Pele.

Having a big lump in midfield has its advantages as long as he is a technical and athletic lump (Vieira) and not just a lump lump.

A lump, lump Rasper ? – you mean a worldie like Andy Carroll? 😀

Kelsey, your 3.50. The answer seemed to be that we got more on the front foot in games when we started with a quicker mobile striker. it seemed to set the tone to a quicker more fluid way way of getting forwards with quick balls on the ground, lots of movement and lots of pulling their defence around. The opposition often react by playing a bit deeper allowing us into the attacking third far more often from early in the game. These are the games we often dominate from the off.

It also worked well bringing on our lump later ( athletic lump obviously 🙂 ) to mix it up a bit when their legs were tired. Our lump often gets goals at these times. Put the lump on too early, (i.e from the start), and we tend to get forced to play deeper too often, and can’t impose our game on them as well, or get our danger players as near their goal so often.

There you are Rasp and Kelsey….answers as requested….with lumps included.

Thanks GB

Therefore we need to start with a speedy CF and IMO neither Giroud nor Walcott actually fit the vision which was once called barca Lite.

I find our play very ponderous on several occasions this season with endless sideways and back passes more like a training session when we kick off and then hoping we will get into top gear it often doesn’t materialise.

Some people say it’s like playing with the handbrake on which in turn makes us easier to play against.

RA. What I do in the privacy of my own teepee is my business and n-one elses.

kelsey. We played that way even when we had a world class striker like RvP.

It is our style.

Quite right, Raddy —- Ommmmmmmmmm 😀

I would agree that currently I don’t see Walcott as an absolute world class striker in the making, but I think he is the best option currently. When Welbeck is fully fit he may be more of a permanent answer, (given the chance), but when you think of the games Walcott started as striker we generally got on the front foot early and played better quicker attacking football.Not in all games granted, but what team does?

They did however include West Brom at the tail end of last season, Villa in the cuo final and Utd at home this season. All games with not just good results but good football as well, as oppose to some of our good results but poor football games.

It seemed that our other top players, like Ozil and Sanchez played better and were more dangerous themselves with a quicker more mobile striker in front of them. Also on a couple of occasions when Walcott started as striker we brought Giroud on later, once we already had dominance in the game and had forced the opposition into a game plan they didn’t want. Giroud looked far more dangerous as a striker coming off the bench in this situation and did bag goals. Hence I see him primarily as a very good impact option from the bench.

Still just my opinion Kelsey, others will see it differently.

Sorry Kelsey that comment was directed at your comment.

Cheers Rasp

No doubt about it, violent Yogarist.

I have a cousin who teaches yoga. Shes very good at it, has some really famously classy clients. There so classy, best selling authors and renowned poets etc, that when introduced to them, you dont know who they are.

A few years back I went to one of her sessions. After about five minutes I knew I was outclassed. These people were bending themselves into unimaginable positions. Lucky there wasnt an agitated Dog around? It would get very upset.

Anyway, the bloke next to me, a really famous Violinist who I had never heard of, angled his body toward me in a crouched head stand sort of way, and then thrust his pelvis towards my face. I was already embarrassed as it is. Whilst they were bending, I was doing press ups in hope it would confuse them.

My embarrassment spilled into anger, so I head butted the Violinist in the nether regions. Concussed from the blow, he was as hard as a highly strung instrument, I was in no position to defend myself from the classically trained thug, who proceeded to use his Yoga to tie me up in a knot

“Do you wish me to pluck your strings? you horrible little man” he hissed, as I continued the press ups hoping no one would notice

Fortunately my cousin saved me. Explaining I hanged around Bounds Green pubs and had no knowledge of literature.

So yes, yoga. But with a violent twist.

You really are on a roll of late Rasp and it is all good stuff as well.

Long my it continue.

Terry 🙂

If yoga with a violent twist is your thing Terry I can recommend the national front annual twister championships to you. It would be right up your street and they dont know nofink about literature neither. In fact any mention of names like Keats, Byron or Wordsworth will likely see you end up with your right hand on the red circle and your left foot on the green square…..”doesn’t sound too bad” I hear you say……until you realise that’s the green square on the twister mat in another game going on at the same time in the adjacent hall.

kelsey 1973

A young Mr Transplant?

Morning anyone. Late night. Late start. Rushed Motning Sesh. Not great.

That looks a bit like Anders Limpar

blue staffie 🙂 they are so gorgous
    A man shouted at me yesterday that I am stupid to call a good dog ‘Bambi’ 🙂 but he is such a bambi

My poor, poor Gary Neville, the most hated man in Spain 😦 What possessed him to apply for the fecking job?? He was doiing so well here. Come back Gary, we love you

Eddie

People don’t normally hurl abuse in the street over things like dogs’ names. Were you wearing those purple dm’s?

Morning LB.

i was indeed 🙂 It wasn’t in the street. He was with his pit bull and he was playing with my Bambi. Like everybody else he liked him, a lot,and asked about the name….and then it started

… and then it started 😀 😀

yes Raddy, DidIt lives in the sticks surrounded by nothing but natural beauty and has no idea what angry places big cities have become.

Never mind though, lets pretend we all leave in Tintagel 🙂

Fair play to Scoucers and the club owners! Well done

Eddie. It is why I love living in this cool city. Never witness road rage or aggression in the streets.

Don’t like the weather though … (proper ellipsis)

yes Raddy, my daughter-in-law was to Copenhagen on business and loves it, said it is a beautiful charming place

London was great some 20-30 years ago, but it is very angry place now

60. Le Coq Monster says:

Not surprised London is an angry place when The Spuds are above us !

monster 🙂 it is more too it. Road are too congested, tube chock a block, constant noise and polution, traffic warders hiding behind bushes, more and more trees chopped off to make room for more and more overcrowded tiny apartments…I could go and on.

62. Le Coq Monster says:

True !….that photo @ 6:37AM could be a young Transplant and uncannily, this description of Kroenke could also apply to Transplant !.

By nightfall, the tired tycoons began moving through the lobby en route to waiting limos that would ferry them to private jets and the hell out of Houston. Word emerged that the Membership had voted by secret ballot — 30-to-2 — in support of the Rams’ multibillion-dollar project in Inglewood.
    After the vote, Kroenke, a clunky-mannered real estate magnate with a charm quotient to rival the Rams’ meager win totals of recent years, joined Goodell for a news conference. He has a pale and jowly countenance, an unruly comb-over and a ’70s-vintage mustache. He is known as ‘‘Silent Stan,’’ and the news conference was about as much as he had spoken publicly in years. ‘‘We spend a lot of resources trying to make sure that we stay relevant,’’ he said in a monotone-mumble.
    Ray Ratto, a Bay Area sportswriter, observed via Twitter that Kroenke looked as if he were ‘‘overdue for his next baby wombat blood injection.’’

I`m still waiting for an AA Accountants take on Stan spending £5M on a DM and £501M on a ranch !…..is that enough to make them see red and let out an angry sigh !. hahaha

63. Le Coq Monster says:

Better move to Cornwall, Eddie !……no anger down here, only happiness !. With what your propety(s) is/are worth, you could buy a piece of heaven !…..and still claim benefits !. hahaha

i am moving to heaven in May 🙂

There’s a New Post ………………………..

Eddie. Is that in the Cotswolds? 😀