Arsenal have five days to hate Leicester

I am so pleased the current Arsenal side has so many overseas players, and here’s why. The English like an underdog, and that is a real weakness. Fair Play, good manners, the rule of law, honour, glorious defeat and so on. Not great characteristics to ingrain deep within a sporting institution, other than, in England, that’s precisely what Sport means.

However, look around the globe, and you’ll see the word Sport has an entirely different meaning.

Americans like Winners, Latin Nations like, approve, and have developed an honourable art out of Cheating, East and Bribery, Over There performance enhancing drugs and so on. Yet here we English are stuck back in the Victorian era where it’s still it’s all “No, after you”. That was all fine back in the day when losing was ok, because we knew deep down we could have them shot later.

So, back to this weekend and Leicester. Are we ready?

Arsenal, more than any other Club, epitomize this national characteristic trait, and we have to snap out of it, and prontissimo, or we’re in for a very nasty shock. In short, we need to get nasty and develop some serious attitude issues, and we have five days to do it.

Over this short five day period, each and every Arsenal player needs to develop a deep and meaningful grudge, and it’s really hard to know where to start. They will simply not “get” how annoying Gary Lineker is, because that’s down to context. You see, had this been almost any other Minnow sitting top, the job of hating would have been made a whole lot easier, but I’m really struggling with Leicester City.

Our Boys aren’t the best at being motivated on any day, and the five we stuck past them earlier won’t help either as the old chestnut complacency could have crept past front door security.

If I was Ranieri, I’d be posting scented candles to our boys, birthday cards, Facebook Requests, free tanning sessions and so on. Really soften us up.

If I was Wenger, I don’t know what I’d do.

Written by MickyDidIt89

80 Responses to Arsenal have five days to hate Leicester

My dear

It’s all summed up in your last sentence.I aired my views earlier inbetween animal videos 😉

2. Vit says:

Arsenal problems seems to be down to English players. not coz they are British but they are local/home nation.Walcot, 2 Mr. Chambers , Always injured Wilshare & Gibs..they don’t add any value to the team. They are occupying spaces just coz they are local (not English but home nation). If same players were other nationals then long back fans & commentators would be equating them to worst ever players. Wenger would have been asked questions why they are in PL squad at all. these 5 players have realized their dreams of getting into top English club & good pay. they don’t want to go out of the country so Barcelona, Madrid are not their dreams.

tell you what Didit – if I was Wenger I would get Eddie in for a crash course in bad attitude, temper, tantrums and resentments.

Micky
    Love your writing. It’s so entertaining.
    Made me laugh including, “….developed an honourable art out of Cheating, East and Bribery, Over There performance enhancing drugs and so on.”, even though I’ve absolutely no idea what it means. 🙂

Lovely entertaining read.

“That was all fine back in the day when losing was ok, because we knew deep down we could have them shot later.”

😀 😀

Thanks Micky, I think your post highlights what we need to beat Leicester – we have to want it as much as they do. In terms of how we have looked recently on the pitch I would say that we are well behind them in the ‘desire department’.

I hate it when teams have a huddle before they play us at The Emirates. It sends out a message that they are ready to fight for one another.

Leicester have some real quality in their side but they also have some journeymen who understand their role and have upped their game to produce an excellent team. Our players are better across the board but our team is less effective as a unit.

I think I’m right in saying they have had the most consistent line up (used the fewest players) this season. They haven’t been blighted by injuries and the cohesion created by having a settled first team is evident.

Unfortunately Arsene is unlikely to rouse our boys with a Churchillian speech before the game (it’s not his style)

I agree we need to find a way to inspire our players, but like you, I’m at a loss to see how Arsene will achieve this.

“If I was Ranieri, I’d be posting scented candles to our boys” ha ha ha ha I must read the post again

8. JM says:

Arsenal F.C. player focus:

9. JM says:

Hector Bellerin, DF
    DF:27, MF: 40, FW:33
    Skill: Dynamic Full Cover Runs
    Teamstyle: Support-type (Dynamo)

10. playing to stay in the job. to loose means new manager and new players

Rasper @ 10:11

You might find a red hot poker applied to the appropriate orifice works wonders.

Micky,

Chas at 10:04 captures my own views, and like him I have no idea what you were saying — or was it the work of your new pooch who dun-didit?

Always best to blame the dog, I have found!

Chas and RA

I have just read through my post, and I do, sort of, see what you may be getting at.

However, I never think language and structure of sentences and stuff matter one jot. For example, if someone said this: “injuries forth trophy wenger giroud audebayang transfer and window” I would know exactly who said it, and precisely what they meant.

So there 🙂

Ok, back to the matter in hand, as I only have a few minutes so need to press on.

Do our players receive win bonus’ and if not, why not.

Ok, stick this in your pipes and smoke away. Do we take hostages. Players’ wives, children, loved ones and so on, and if not, why not?

Ok, I’ve saved my best for last, and taken inspiration from those complete bastards, The Romans.

Perhaps we need to up the risk : reward stakes. I mean I’m perfectly happy for a player to get 140k a week, but where are the consequences for not earning the stuff.

Take The Collosseum in Rome at 3pm on a pleasant and sunny Saturday afternoon. Chuck a slave and a lion in the ring. Slave does well, he lives. Slave is lazy, he gets eaten.

Theo does well, he gets 140k. Theo does not do well, he gets 140k. It’s just not right.

17. Ant says:

Micky,
    Lovely post….?
    I thought we had already established that if you were Arsene….then we would be in the Conference in no time?
    Some things that we can get annoyed about re Leicester:
    1. Vardy is capable of naughty, vicious, dirty tackles
    2. Kasper Schmeichel is the son of Peter
    3. Those clackers that the fans have are really annoying
    4. They play in blue
    5. Gary Lineker.
    That surely is enough?
    We beat them last time at their gaff and we can beat them again.

Excellent angle Micky which at first view could be seen as obvious but with a tad more thought you realise that there is far more depth and subtlety to it.

Funny thing is I did ask myself how I thought I would feel if we lost and my answer was to become very British about it: best team won and all that, good Luck Leicester, although, I don’t think I can think of another club that I would feel that way, maybe Bournemouth; anyway, that is me but as for the team, there are so few Brits in there I doubt that the “after you” mentality will come anywhere near the way they, including Wenger, will approach it.

Man City was so useful for us, they almost certainly didn’t take Leicester as seriously as they should have but out of fear to avoid that kind of thrashing we certainly will.

Cheers Micky, had me chuckling on a couple of occasions.

“injuries forth trophy wenger giroud audebayang transfer and window”

I know who said it and what they meant as well 🙂

Very difficult to dislike Leicester apart from I hate them for the fact that they are getting the maximum and more out of their players and utilise a well balanced and realistic set-up that seemingly takes into account the strengths and weaknesses of their players and the other team.

All joking aside I really wouldn’t dismiss the idea of having people shot Micky, as I feel we are running out of alternatives. Many more Allardyceesque type performances and I think it will be our only option.

So how to beat them?

We could look at how we beat them before, and maybe have a look at what was working for us earlier in the season, and then set up our team accordingly with the right tactics to put them to the sword, knowing that we have the true world class players and squad packed full of internationals.

Sorry hahahah, just read that back and realised how ridiculous it sounded. No no no, lets put the same players out in the same formation as we have in the last few games, don’t know what I was thinking.

Nice Micky.

Of course I dislike Leicester. Ive been there.

The surrounding countryside is quite nice. If you like grass. I saw quite a few varieties up there, some were more yellow than others. Did you know Micky? if you stare at grass long enough, nothing happens.

The towns a bit more exciting, very little grass. A lot of grey buildings and locals applying for asylum. Apparently the Romans occupied it, but didnt bother building anything.

Thats why Richard the Third is burried in the car park. Its the number one tourist attraction. I wasn’t much impressed, though I did see a bloke parked in a Ford Fiesta crying, which is always amusing. Probably had his asylum request turned down.

The only consolation from my visit to Leicester was I did not see Gary Linekar

Does well he gets 140k, does not do well, he gets 140kv.

Leicester, the knock off designer capital of England.

Leicester play counter attacking stuff….their cause against City was helped massively by a 1-0 lead in the 3rd minute which meant City had to push numbers on and Leicester could sit soak it up and spring Vardy or Mahrez away at will.

So from kick off maybe we try the old GG method of the rugby style kick off hoofed out to the wing in the hope of winning the high ball or at least winning the throw in, then form orderly lines of 4-6 and play keep ball around the halfway line for 90 minutes.

Enjoyed your post Micky we need a few bastards, I think we’ve got two openly hard bastards, two quietly, and two sneaky ones, who hurt opponents when they try to tackle them but without being obvious about it.

Gabriel + Coquelin, Koscielny + Flamini, Alexis + Ollie

This seems to work once you get past the ads.
    Anderlecht v Arse u19s

Getting ripped by efficient, effective football.

maybe they’ll do better if I stop watching

Exile

“Are we prepared to forego a bit of the 2-3-5 entertainment stuff for a boring 0-0 on Sunday?”

Are you trying to start a fight? 🙂 🙂

Chas
    Just been watching the U19 vid for ten minutes, and nothing. Not one goal. So moved to your twitter link and it says we lost 0-2!!!

Goals, I expect goals 🙂

Ok, off to install two more cat flaps!!! Drill. Big bit. Little bit. Jigsaw 🙄

No wonder we are losing by two (ATM) – have you seen our boys haircuts? What happened to short back and sides?

Short back and sides Raddy, yo’re having a laugh 😉

32. akinzo says:

Nice post
    Being third on the log behind Leicester and the Spuds is enough incentive to bring out the best in the Arsenal for Sunday and indeed the rest of the season. Is it not enough that we are in trepidation of a club the size of Leicester to come out fighting tooth and nails to get back properly on track? It’s time for the players to start taking responsibility and justify their huge paycheck. This season, as tempestuous it has become, represents Arsenal’s best shot at the title in recent times and it is a shame we are below those two teams. How many players in the Leicester team would make our first team? But here they are top of the table. How is that even possible? They have put themselves on the threshold of history by fighting with every pint of their blood to get to where they are. Irrespective of tactics, every Arsenal player must do same starting from Sunday to start justifying his time on the pitch. As far away as I am, I have been doing my best which sometimes involves shouting myself hoarse or being at my subtle best to win debates on if Arsenal have the mentality to caress the league diadem this season. If am winning this onerous battle thousands of miles away I shouldn’t be castigated for expecting a battle of epic proportion from the team on Sunday then.

The

ey should first see themselves as far superior to the two sides ahead but this must not lead to complacency. Rather, the players must be ready to show their superiority by matching and outclassing

Excuse my current pessimistic attitude all 🙂 I know it is maybe bewildering to some considering we are still in a strong position to win the league, and don’t get me wrong I so desperately want to be proven wrong and for it to turn around and I never stop supporting the team regardless. I just can’t call a dog a cat.

The level of our performances have rather depressed me recently, because we are not talking about 1-2 in isolation but a consistent under performance that shouldn’t happen with the players we have at Arsenal. I’m afraid to me It suggests a manager who doesn’t know his best set up, and can’t see past certain aspects that are inhibiting us and work out how to change it for the best.

That worries me on many levels. Firstly for the here and now and for our title challenge, but also for the following season, and for Arsene’s good name and reputation after everything he has done for the club.

I am far from confident in us winning the league based on the last 6 weeks performances but we do have top players, so the form is retrievable, and those players we have can get you out of jail even when playing poorly. Players like Cech, Ozil, and Sanchez can paper over the cracks of a team that is not gelling. A longer term question I guess is how long will they want to?

I have a spud friend (alright Cockie, put the gun away) who I often discuss football with. They are obviously very happy currently, not just with their position but with their performances as well. He feels his side are playing quick attacking free flowing football, and (most often) dominating the opposition. They are really starting to believe what many thought would probably be impossible at the start of the season, and with good reason IMO. I don’t know if it is just me but something feels different this time with this Spurs under this manager.

My mate did watch the Arsenal Bournemouth game and the first time we managed to speak about it he said “you were pony in that game, you let them play and sat so deep”. The worst thing was it wasn’t even with any of the normal banter or cheeky grin, it was almost like he was surprised and shocked. It actually felt worse than the normal premature gloating,like he sensed a hope in a shift in the balance of powers.

Also sadly I agreed with him about the game, but having seen more Arsenal games than him I knew it wasn’t a one off either. One can only hope that we work it out and it is just a matter of time before the historical normal service is resumed and the Spuds have a mini implosion and we go on a final strong run.

GIE, I wanted to come back to you about something we started the other evening where we had a conversation about the set-up and notably about Rambo from the right but it was curtailed by me being a lightweight and retiring to bed.

I am aware that both you and FGG (and TA when here) like it and that you know I am not so keen on it. In fact I see it as partly responsible for many of our iffy performances over the last 2 seasons. I get that we have missed Santi, and fully agree on that point, but I don’t get that his return would see us adopt our strongest line up if Rambo then returns to the right.

If I were trying to second guess things and read between the lines I kind of feel that Arsene wanted to develop an attack with 3 crafty interchanging ball players behind a striker they could link with. Personally I feel that it looks great on paper but doesn’t work in reality.

I lost count of the number of times I said that I felt you couldn’t play Ramsey, Ozil and Rambo in the same team together (and I could obviously be wrong in this), as the pace of the team going forwards is badly compromised and it always results in one of them playing wide which doesn’t suit any of them. It feels to me like we set up to accommodate players Wenger likes individually rather than a balanced team.

I think the problems with this set-up are even more enhanced when they then play behind a slower striker. I feel the extra lack of pace sees us play deeper and deeper and other teams (often even only moderately decent ones) can force their game on us, and often play a higher defensive line with us deeper. It is nicer that we can be more compact but I often think it makes us look like a deep sitting mid premier league side that has limited counter-attacking ability or ability to quickly move the ball forwards through a team on the ground.

Arsene seems to keep returning to it even when he has seen other formations reap more reward and better performances, and in my mind he still can’t relinquish his Utopian ideology even when it consistently fails to gel, which I personally feel is the case. However, I would love yourself or FGG to tell me where and why I am wrong in this view.

Sorry that was supposed to say

“I lost count of the number of times I said that I felt you couldn’t play Ramsey, Ozil and Santi in the same team together”

36. fatgingergooner says:

Performances will improve once Coquelin and Sanchez are back up to speed and we have a steady side. Too many injuries and changes are bound to effect our performances. When Campbell and Flamini start 16 times each by the beginning of Feb then you know you are not going to be playing your best football.

37. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

I don’t think you are wrong in what you say. For me, the Ramsey RW tactic can work for us, but that doesn’t mean it will work every week and against every side. I actually agree with you that pace is important if you are going to play Ramsey RW, but it doesn’t necessarily have to come from the CF. If you have the pace of Bellerin overlapping on the right then Ramsey coming inside creates an extra man closer to the CF and makes it easier for Ramsey to be in and around the box. The first goal in United home game is a perfect example of all those elements working together.

I also think it is vital to have a threat in behind to play this formation as well, so Sanchez becomes very important if Giroud starts. Ideally though it will probably work best with Walcott up top until we can find someone better.

I will be interested to see the Coquelin/Ramsey partnership until the end of the season as well though. Cazorla isn’t getting any younger so soon we will need a better option. Personally I think Wilshere/Coquelin will be the answer but only if Wilshere stays fit. I’d like to see him take a leaf out of Cazorlas book and learn to play 10 yards deeper. Ramsey is a 10 for me and would score as many as Lampard did, but how can you drop Özil?

In truth though, there are far better options out there than Ramsey RW, but I don’t see any at the club at the moment. Ideally Ox will step up and then we can all argue about who should be our CM partnership!

GB you have probably retired for the evening.

If you hadn’t noticed I don’t know what Arsene is thinking, but I do interpret his decisions to play players differently to others. I also look at what the alternative player is and again use that to further back up my interpretation. It’s clearly not as black and white as us fanswould like to believe.

I’ll start with Ramsey on two occasions on Sunday he provided perfect evidence of what he can do with ball at his feet and space, he had time to play two creative passes, he can do this from right wing too. Playing on the right also limits his choices in where he can pass, this is a good thing for Ramsey as sometimes playing centrally he is guilty of holding on to the ball too long when he is looking for the best passing option, playing on the wing the possible play is only in two directions.

There are other attributes to his game, goal scoring and engine that make him suitable for a wider berth, he has a couple of ways to beat the opposition too, he is a good passer which means he is a good crosser, defenders have to make a decision, get close and leave space for runners or give him room to pick a red shirt out.

Put these attributes together and with the right other combinations, Santi, Ozil and Alexis and we have a fairly good chance of retaining possession and the whole team moving up the pitch. Coupled with the fact that all three are good at nicking back possession.

Now it may be at this point with all three available and starting we can look at Theo up top again because we don’t have to use the long ball and platform of Giroud to get the ball and players up the pitch.

Also with this setup neither of the two full backs have to advance as much as they do when playing more natural wingers who once double teamed become ineffective if their only way of beating the man is pace. Both Ramsey and Alexis are capable of holding the ball long enough and moving the ball in triangles to allow for players to join in if necessary not by default. Late runners are harder to track and more effective.

We agree about more than I realised FGG. Ramsey to the right did seem ok against Utd but then Walcott was up top, therefore 2 out of 4 in our attack had pace. I think we have been too often nullified with only 1 out of 4 having pace (i.e Sanchez) as it is easier for the opposition to cut out that one player and push a high defensive line and leave space behind, knowing the other 3 likely can’t exploit it.

If Giroud is playing up top then I feel pace needs to be either side of him, not just one side, for the same reason as above. We have to have the bravery though to keep them nearer Giroud in this set-up. Too often our 2 wide players drop backr too many defensive duties, and we need to let others do that and impose on them where their defensive line is, or rather where we want it to be.

Giroud plays better closer to the opposition goal if the 2 wide players force them to keep their defensive line deeper, he can be more effective as can players like Ozil playing off him. Without doing this they can comfortably play the high line with no threat from Giroud behind and we drop deeper as a whole team..

Personally I feel we are 1 top level (left footed) goal-scoring wide right player, and a top striker with pace away from boasting an all round world class attack. I still hold out hope for Welbeck potentially but AW has to give him a chance. No point talking up his options of Sanchez, Walcott, and Welbeck as striking options, listing it as one of the key reasons he never bought in the TW, if he never bloody plays them there. For the wide right left Footer….Bale….Mmmm, yummy.

Also I thought I was somewhat alone in the view that I thought Ramsey looked more like a number 10. I don’t see a problem with him being a back up to Ozil currently with a longer term view of being number one. He likely wouldn’t be number 1 choice at Barca or Madrid anyway.

Always fancied the Ox from the attacking left myself FGG. I think there is a prolific goal-scorer in there cutting in from wide left and he has a very similar make up and skill set to Sanchez to my mind. Again so what if he is the understudy with a view to being first choice longer term.

Anyway, till tomorrow.

GIE, I do see your point there. I have rarely seen it work well for us with Santi, Ramsey and Ozil all out there together. The exception was Utd but then we played with Walcott as the striker, not Giroud. Again 2 from 4 with pace, not 1 from 4. This is not a pro Walcott sermon, more a pro pace striker view.

Ramsey does have a pass in his game, but having watched him I still think he is better at the shorter range, and more subtle or cunning, passes in the final third than he is at the mid to longer range balls. Again it says number 10 to me.
    He is not obviously at Ozils level (yet anyway) for balls in and around the box, but given the same amount of games in that role he would likely improve it further and would likely be a more prolific goal-scorer than Ozil so he could, longer term, become a top level option in the position in his own right without having to be identical.

I would go back a couple of seasons when our formation was more 4-1-2-3 the 1 being Arteta, by replacing Arteta with Coquelin we have had to ask one of our midfielders to play deeper to help bring ball out of defence, this was also pre Alexis so we were weak on the left wing and often had both full backs bombing on at the same time.

My ideal starting XI would be a solid back 4 not hell bent on attacking, strict instruction for the full backs that if one goes the other stays, the 1 would not be Coquelin, unless he can improve his passing out the two would be Ozil and Ramsey and the 3 picks itself presently.

We have evolved a great deal since the inclusion of Coq and developed a very different way of building from the back but there is still room for improvement and perhaps that man is Elneny?

bollocks 🙂

Was watching a hovering Barn Owl as close as this in same light at 4:30 yesterday

Same photographer

He takes all these on a marsh just behind our usual surf beach

And then same fellow brings his camera onto OUR beach 🙂

I took this with my phone at my old house.
    Scruffy coal tit on a window feeder.

I like 6.52.
    Can you get him to get a shot of you?

Last one

Chas
    I like your coal tit. We did the bird survey last week (count birds in an hour)

Shot of me? I’d be better selecting one of his and pretendying 🙂

Definitely more impressive

Yessssss
    And if we have a slider, we can be confident of keeping the riff raff away

How many approx?

How many birds or how many sliders?

Cats @7:10 – I had an identical pair once – Paddy and Peggy. Paddy used to disappear and I was walking the streets calling ‘Paddy, where are you sweetie? paddy, come home’

Neighbours thought I was looking for my husband 🙂

Ha ha

Ok, birds. It was RSPB National survey, so you list numbers of species, then other wildlife in your garden

Can’t remember numbers, but the hour bird thing had maybe 10 blue, ditto great, sparrows, wagtails, robins, woodpecker, in fact all the usual suspects

Then barn and tawny, deer, fox, buzzards etc

I think the ‘sweetie’ would have given away the fact that you weren’t looking for your husband.

“Paddy, Parrdy….Mummy has a treat for you” 🙂

ha ha ha 🙂 true 🙂

Paddy was stolen by two poofs across the road and Peggy moved out to bigger house. They brought her back to mine a few times, but she wouldn’t stay, posh cow she was

You’re so lucky

Not that there was any luck involved in your house choice.

those two were funny cats, very aloof. Chopin was a great girl and Lilly is awesome

A film was made about Jermaine Penant!!! jermain penant! Perhaps we will know more about shifting him away from N5 after some drinking shenanigans. The ruthless face of Wenger

it wasn’t the house – dogs started appearing. For my birthday (ages ago) I was offered a small dog or two cats. I went for quantity rather than quality. But soon started sneaking a dog or two….cats didn’t approve

Eddie

I was just thinking what a great name Chopin is, then realized how apt Bach would be 🙂

chopin by name chopin by nature – she was a very artistic extrovert cat 🙂 Had 4 litters of kittens, first lot were all called Cantona

Bach? Yeah, nice and short

How is the roaring success, any stories to tell yet?

No, no stories. Two cats highly disapprove, but they’ll get over it in time.

and kids? are they dotting on Dotty? Who walks her?

Must go, but yes, we all love her. She’s sitting at my feet as I type.

We all walk her, but obviously Mrs D and/or me during school day for the long walk

Love 7,14 😀

at your feet 🙂 bliss 🙂
    later, hospital, again 😦

71. Le Coq Monster says:

Great post Didit !…………….just remember, I was the only one hating Leicester over a month ago when everyone else was starting their Leicester love in !. Everyone was expecting Leicester to lose big games and it ended up us dropping the points !.

I too love the 7:14am of Crystals the Pussy ! hahaha

72. Le Coq Monster says:

Surprised it has gone under the radar on here, but what or how do you feel that we buy just a £5M DM and Kroenke buys a £501M Ranch !……………..What a complete contrast to the Mansour City owners who have built virtuall a mini city training complex for their club !.

…. New post ….