Don’t Underestimate Arsenal’s Emerging Talent

I think I speak for most people when I say I was glad to see the back of Project Youth. As much as it helped us through the stadium move, it was also massively frustrating to watch young talent that never quite reached its potential. The likes of Vela, Szczesny, Bartley, Djourou, Miyaichi, Merida, JET, Afobe, Frimpong, Eastmond, Bendtner and countless others have come and gone without quite being the answer. Thankfully though, the financial restrictions on the club are now lifted and we can afford to buy ready made superstars like Özil, Sanchez and Cech. But where does this leave our youngsters?

It’s been a while since we had a wave of talent coming through, with Bellerin and Coquelin the only real success stories in the last 5 seasons, but it does look as though we may have another group ready to burst onto the scene. There was a lot of talk during the transfer window about us needing to improve our forward players and today I wanted to have a look at some future stars and see if anyone thinks they could be good enough to break into the first team squad in the summer and give our current crop a run for their money.

Chuba Akpom (age 20) on loan at Hull

Striker

Apps 19(9)

Goals 7

Whoscored rating 6.61

Born in Newham, Chuba came through Arsenal’s Hale End academy before making his debut along with Mesut Ozil in September 2013. He signed a new long-term contract with the club in 2015. An England youth international with a true goalscoring instinct, he scored a hat-trick against the Singapore Select XI during the pre-season Barclays Asia Trophy.

Jon Toral (age 21) on loan at Birmingham

Attacking Midfielder

Apps 19(7)

Goals 6

Whoscored 6.78

An expert dribbler who can play on either flank or in the No 10 role, Jon (full named Jon Miquel Toral Harper) was involved with the first-team squad for last year’s pre-season tour to New York, and also played in the friendly against Borehamwood.

Wellington Silva (age 23) on loan at Bolton

Winger

Apps 15(3)

Goals 2

Whoscored 6.91

Despite producing match-winning performances Wellington (full name Wellington Alves Da Silva) could not rescue Almeria from relegation, but his impressive individual performances were rewarded with a first call-up to Brazil’s under-21 side in November.

The tricky forward became very popular with the Spanish side’s fans for his inventiveness and ambition going forward.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles (age 18) on loan at Ipswich

Centre Midfield

Apps 21(5)

Goals 2

Whoscored 6.82

Immensely talented midfielder Ainsley was a key figure in Arsenal’s academy sides last season, and will spend this season on loan at Ipswich in the Championship.

Known for his tricky feet, sharpness and lung-busting runs, versatile Ainsley is nominally a midfielder, but can also play on either wing

Jeff Reine-Adelaide (age 18)

Winger/Attacking Midfielder

Possessing great pace and close ball control, the youngster has excelled in wide attacking midfield positions, but Arsene Wenger believes the teenager has all the attributes to become an all-round central midfielder.

Serge Gnabry (age 20)

Winger/Attacking Midfielder

The skilful winger did not feature for the Arsenal first team last term due to a knee injury, but made eight appearances for the under-21s, scoring three times.

Alex Iwobi (age 19)

Winger/Attacking Midfielder

With nine goals in the under-21s’ final nine games of the campaign, powerful forward Alex was the academy’s form player in the second half of last season.

Naturally a winger, the Lagos-born attacker – who is the nephew of former Bolton star Jay-Jay Okocha – was converted into a central striker and caught the eye with a hat-trick against Stoke City at Emirates Stadium.

As you can see we really do have an excellent crop of youngsters waiting in the wings. Personally, I believe these players have a better chance of making it than some of those that were used in Project Youth because they are being given the opportunity to learn their trade out on loan rather than having to play in front of 60,000 frustrated Arsenal fans every week.

It’s great to see new signings walk through the Arsenal door but I think there is nothing quite like seeing one of our own pulling on the red and white shirt. I reckon a few of these lads could be doing that on a regular basis next season, but what do you think?

Written by FatGingerGooner

99 Responses to Don’t Underestimate Arsenal’s Emerging Talent

1. Simon says:

Yep, better prospects I think at least: Iwobi already looks at home and the Jeff seems a prospect. I’d also mention Crowley and Zalamen – the latter fast becoming a fan fave at Rangers.

What happened to the Nigerian duo: did they sign?

2. PV4 says:

Albeit that it is nice to see young talent emerging – it grates somewhat when we continue to sign youngsters at a time when one or two key signings could have won us the league.

Lovely job FGG, thanks.

Yes I’m with you, this current generation of youngsters has great promise.

I already regard Iwobi and Jeff as first team quality and Jon Toral looks to be up there with them.

Although good players, I’m not sure Gnabry and Silva will be able to make the next step – but there is always Bielik who seems to be coming along nicely.

My knowledge of the academy is pretty scant, but I’m not aware of many defenders who coming through – it would be great to have a homegrown CB at thew heart of the defence in the future.

Lovely Post, Chubby. 😀

There are another raft of potentially very talent right behind those you have mentioned too.

Defence: O’Conner, Bola, Pleguezuelo

Midfield: Ben Sheaf, Vlad Dragoman, Joseph Willock

Forwards: Mavididi, Chris Willock, Malen, Fortune

I do not know what has happened to the two Nigerian kids, but if they have actually been signed, they seem to have very good reputations following the U 17s World Cup.

Unfortunately, that little sh*t Maureen will be back to plague us next season, as Manure seem to have a pre-contract deal sewn up with him.

Boo. 😦

Really like this post, FGG, thanks.

I’m a little confused (nothing new there) about the appearances and goals figures.
    Also are the Whoscored ratings out of 10 and over what period?

Seeing Alex Iwobi live, he just seemed to slot in so naturally. Here’s a link I saw yesterday.

It was such a shame Serge was injured when he looked on the verge of a first team breakthrough.

Chuba is learning his trade of banging them in out on loan which, as you say, should hone his abilities faster than if he was playing for the u21s. His future lies ahead.
    Maybe the trouble with strikers is that they mature a little later, so it’s harder to keep them satisfied with not playing first team football for a longer period (see Benik Afobe and Danny Welbeck).

I’m also hoping Danny Crowley fulfills his massive potential.

Top stuff.

FGG. Fine work. I love seeing the young players come through. My particular faves are the English lads and even better locals.

Chuba was born in Canning Town, Chris and Joe Willock are both Londoners (can’t find out where), Maitland-Niles from Ilford,

O’Conner is almost local, from Croydon (Sarf Larndarn)

Crowley who could be the best of them all is from Coventry, poor lad

Wow 3 minutes gone Leicester one up !!

Come on you Foxes

9. chas mobile says:

Jeez, 1-0 Leicester

10. Simon says:

I’d like a draw with season ending injuries to Aquero and Vardy please.

11. chas mobile says:

Having the other half of his sex change.

12. greg says:

I have been following Jon Toral for the last 2 years, Zelalem too, I mean those on loan and those 2 are really impressive. Zelalem, Toral, Iwobi, Bielik should all be on our bench next season, first 3 at least. I don’t rate Silva at all, Maintland Niles and Chuba should spend another season on loan. In this list you forgot a name, Isaac Hayden who is doing pretty well with Hull and get plenty of playing time with Hull

27% possession 3 goals up

Fairplay

14. chas mobile says:

3-0!

20% of ground empty with over 20 mins to go at MC.

Prawn sandwich fans?

Thanks FGG. Great post. I like the look of a lot of our youngsters and wouldn’t rule any of them out from breaking through. Iwobi is the one on everyone’s lips currently, and rightly so. As with many of our players he looks like he could play anyway but with his speed, skill, and eye for goal with his left peg, I fancy him as an attacking right wing forward in the making at present. The new Messi? We will have to see.

Wellington and Gnabry could be great attacking left wing forwards. In Gnabry’s case I also feel that conversion to striker is an option with his speed and strength. Chuba needs to polish up a little more but has a great chance as a striker at the top level.

One word of caution would be a casting glance at some of the current 1st team players that have been with us from a younger age not exactly nailing down 1st team positions. The bought in ready mades elsewhere seem to get first dib-dabs currently. I have a kind of post in the pipeline around this subject area so will not say too much.

17. fatgingergooner says:

chas,

the stats are for their loans this season. the whoscored data is out of 10 but not many score more than 8 over a season.

greg,

I agree about Hayden but was looking more at attacking players. Id also like to see Akpom on loan at Hull again next season if they get promoted.

Great result for Leicester and not a bad result for us IF we beat Bournemouth and Leicester next week. Easier said than done though. I would rather be chasing Leicester than City though so if we are 2 points behind them and in front of City after next week then I would be delighted with that.

This title is so opening up. If we win all games leading up to Leicester and beat them we will be 2 away from them at worst. Now that really puts added pressure on AW IMO. Liverpool have had upheaval, Man Utd are still not re-established post Fergie, Chelsea inexplicably fell apart, Man City have a confirmed dead man walking as manager.

If Leicester or Spurs do the seemingly impossible this year at our expense it will make a slight nonsense of many of the claims as to how much progress we have made. We are probably the most settled team among the normal top 4 sides with a good 3-4 years of rebuilding under our belts. It is there for the taking, but the pressure of not taking it this year is now far greater as it would expose the potential myth that we have made significant progress as a team, despite the introduction of world class players in the last 2-3 seasons.

Sorry if some of you feel that is doomy. Just an honest appraisal IMO 🙂

20. Great post fgg, thank you for putting in the research.

I loved the way both Iwobi and Jeff have slotted in when called upon and hope their future lies with us.

Zelalem is in the same USA team as one of my baby spuds so I’ve watched him play a few times and his vision is terrific. We’re going to love it when he comes back.

Chuba and Toral doing great things for their loan clubs – all looks good to me.

I always thought that Gnabry would hook up well with Ozil but then Serge got injured. That partnership is still to come 🙂

Going back to read GoonerB’s comment, can’t believe he’s dooming lol

21. chas mobile says:

GoonerB
    What are you on about now?
    Where are all these claims about significant progress?
    Aren’t we near the top just because everyone else is pants?
    There is no more pressure on AW than there’s ever been.
    No idea what you’re on about.

Peaches
    Please explain to me what GoonerB means.
    I’m feeling particularly thick today.

FGG

Great post, thank you. I love it when you see one of these names either on the team sheet, or bench, as I just love the unexpected and so the excitement is immense.

Of course, being a purist, I love the attackers, but I have a confession.

I long for the next true Arsenal Leader to come through, which makes me think of Tony Adams. A defender.

I see RA has mentioned three, but I have to plead complete ignorance on that fron having never seen any of them.

Woof Woof

1-3 City Leicester. Wow, that’s a staggering result

Micky
    You’re a football purist like GoonerB.
    2.59?

today 🙂 🙂 me is thick full stop.

I have no interest in players until they are of age, at least 160cm tall, with work permit, earning at least £40k a week and with market value > £1m

160cm = 5ft 3 inch.
    What?

Eddie
    What does 2.59 mean?

I can’t comment either haven’t seen enough of these kids but if one in eight makes the first team squad with an impact is about par for the course.

leicester were 5000 to 1 to win the league at the beginning of the season and all fans of all clubs that bet have a few quid on their team. Now leicester are 9 to 2 and one bookie could lose 5 million on them.

GB,

I would like to agree with you, or better still to disagree with you, but I feel cheated because having read your 2:59 it is so full of conditional clauses, (below) it is impossible to know what your position is.

1) If we win all games leading up to Leicester and beat them we will be 2 away from them at worst.

I2) f Leicester or Spurs do the seemingly impossible this year at our expense it will make a slight nonsense of many of the claims as to how much progress we have made.

All that’s missing is;

3) If your sister was your uncle’s brother, Terry would be your aunt.

It seems that (1) is upbeat and not doomy despite your apology, and (2) how can nonsense be ‘slight’ and what progress?

You is weird, GB 😀

Not exactly true, Chas.

I coined my club the purists, but never laid down the terms and conditions.

Simply put, we don’t care about the league, or trophies really, with the exception of winning ‘Ol Big Ears before I snuff it. Also, we don’t care about conceding goals and all that clean sheet nonsense. We do care about scoring more than them, and have a minimum requirement of two goals per game, and I really do mean minimum.

Purists believe Ossie Ardiles to be the best manager in the last 50 years.

And finally, when I say purists (pleural) I mean me.

This title is so opening up – pass

If we win all games leading up to Leicester and beat them we will be 2 away from them at worst – must win all games between now and next Sunday (ie Bournemouth) to be <=2 points behind Leicester

Now that really puts added pressure on AW IMO. Liverpool have had upheaval, Man Utd are still not re-established post Fergie, Chelsea inexplicably fell apart, Man City have a confirmed dead man walking as manager. – more pressure on AW because all oppo are shit. I am buffled

If Leicester or Spurs do the seemingly impossible this year at our expense it will make a slight nonsense of many of the claims as to how much progress we have made. – pass

We are probably the most settled team among the normal top 4 sides with a good 3-4 years of rebuilding under our belts. – finally we don't need to gel or some players could be accused of sodomy

It is there for the taking, but the pressure of not taking it this year is now far greater as it would expose the potential myth that we have made significant progress as a team, despite the introduction of world class players in the last 2-3 seasons. – pass

obvious, init? Do you want me to draw a picture

Eddie
    Dog home. She’s bloody lovely. Paws well and truly under the table, and appears happy and calm.

Thank you, everyone, my crystal has never been clearer. 🙂

Photo, please?

micky – i didn’t want to push it, but couldn’t wait to find out 🙂

oh, oh, oh, she is lovely 🙂 I am soooooo plesed

Of course she is happy, she is such a lucky girl to land at yours

chas – she is a black lab, what do you think she looks like??
    You is particularly difficult today, what’s up?

No results going our way so far, pool and the tots both 1 up now 😦

Sorry, I’m a bit bored.

Right, I’m off

I thought as much 🙂
    An intelligent person is never bored you know.
    Get a dog and you will never be bored again, just finished cleaning 8 filthy ears, going to start clipping nails

Micky,

Looks lovely – but that is a given for me. 🙂

Who is the little brown on with the rude tongue sticking out? 🙂

RA – that’d be DidIt 🙂

Ok, Let me clarify. I am not sharpening the knives personally myself here, in an anti Arsene “I told you so” way. There are still quite a lot of Arsene die hards ( many on here 🙂 ) and there are many who have already made there mind up the other way. There are also many waverers in various areas in the middle ground whose mind will be made up dependent upon what they see in the near future.

We are in a very strong position to win the league and I think we can do it and my support is fully there. My point is what if Spurs or Leicester win it, and right now is that an impossibility? How would we then appraise our season, our last few seasons, and the job that Arsene is doing or has been for the last 2-3 years? Not what he has done in the distant past, but what he has been doing the last 2-3 seasons?

I would think if Spurs or Leicester win this years league with their more limited assets and lesser time in building a squad towards a title winning one, my fear is that the majority of fans would turn. So as much as there is a great opportunity here this season, which is exciting, it is now also a season that for me represents great danger to our manager.

The end to this season could now be massively definitive for Arsenal. I think it has become a knife edge season for our future and more specifically our managers future. One way could see joy and a longer future together but I do see potential disaster as well.

It is more an objective observation on how I see the majority of the fan base reacting, not how I feel myself necessarily.

It’s interesting how different fans express different views when things are not going our way and some just don’t want to know and disappear.

Results are crazy this season but what used to be our forte i.e. scoring goals has dried up and our GD is way below others in the top 4.Bad luck,bad finishing and of course the oppo keeper always has their best game of the season against us .

Stoke are losing 0-3 to out of form Everton,a team when we played could have gone either way yet we didn’t score and that’s just one wasted opportunity..

Spurs and Leicester above us and a tricky game tomorrow is a compact stadium in wet and windy conditions.

Can we win 12 -0 to go second tomorrow.

47. chas mobile says:

Heads or tails

I almost made it into the Purists Club.

Passed all the requirements then reached the bit about admiring a Spurs manager.

Sorry. Apart from Terry Neil and GG they are miscreants to a man.

49. Red Arnie says:

very nice post, FGG 🙂 even if I was not in your coterie in being glad “to see the back of Project Youth”

I think this Project Youth is one of the things that sets us apart from the also-rans. Together with certain other clubs as well. But let us not get there.

I am glad that we are beginning to see some fresh young faces from the Academy. You forgot Zelalem, abut he is there or thereabouts as well.

We have made significant changes to teh youth setup as well. If all of this works well, we might also have the successor of Wenger from the youth setting. He has a Dutch name, but let us just call him Bonkers. Onwards and upwards! 🙂

50. Red Arnie says:

Thanks, Simon, yes Crowley as well. 🙂

I like the dutch CB at S’ton. Not that we need one

52. Hellooo to the Quixotic element of Arsenal Arsenal. A good evening to the others..Gooner B seems to B struggling to hide his pessimism. I feel for Him.While We are craving for Arsenal to take the Premeirship by the scruff of the neck Leicester are doing it and our esteemed manager is pontificating about how we should be cautious about the Chinese leagues. Is Arsene Wenger an Oracle or What?I think he is now bordering on being a debacle I refuse to believe that You all frown at my stated view. My respect to this Site is assured

53. Jeremy says:

Hi. Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words yesterday. And thanks to herb for his side of the story.
    Liverpool drawing today was interesting. On the one hand I respect people getting together to make a stand in one voice.
    On the other hand they abandoned their team, who immediately threw away a two goal lead.
    Were the two related or was it just a happy accident? Do I feel bad for the fans or am I laughing at them? As it’s Liverpool I’m probably not too upset.

11464 is the capacity,Raddy

Thanks GoonerB for filling in for me 😉

I’ll say this cautiously, it’s not raining.

We drove back yesterday across Dartmoor, and holy crap it was rough

nothing that a Landy couldn’t cope with
    How is the baby? Walked her yet?

I have a Landy 🙂

All is very good Eddie, and yes, although it was Mrs D at 6 ish.
    I don’t want to bore you every day, and I still prefer my day to begin with the odd slider, but she is a roaring success. We all adore her, and in a Raddyesque kind of way, I think she’s feeling the love baby 🙂

I could never be bored of dog stories 🙂
    She is a roaring success, this is sooooo good, marvellous

Watching LEicester v City highlights, oh dear, those foxes are highly charged! Awful first Huth goal, pen denied, second mahrez goal brilliant.

Eddie

That Leicester result was incredible. They really will believe they can go on and win the league now, and with justification.

And……it’s pouring 😦

Too late Didit. Dotty has been adopted as the AA mascot

yeah, win the league and brush the Gunners off on the way

And if it wasn’t at our expense, i would be really happy for them. As it stands I am beginning to despise them

Beautiful sunny day. Want to go out and play with my new camera but No – I have to write a PM; for you ingrates

Better get started.

Eddie
    Slow down and think. If you don’t believe we can win the league, then my god I want Leicester to stay ahead of Totnum.

In the meantime, lets win today, then beat Leicester 🙂 We’ll deal with Totnum when Danny is back and scoring

Morning all training continues:

Raddy is right, Dotty is the ours 🙂 And we need regular updates 🙂

Shit, there’s that shirt again. I’m having yet another mid life crisis.

FGG fine post about our youngsters who are growing up fast, this crop actually have space ahead of them in as spaces are appearing in the squad for them to fill. It’s always about luck and timing for any young player coming through unless like Hector they are exceptional and can oust the player in the position.

As for yesterday I have only seen Mahrez’s goal was lucky enough to see it real time as I was on errands and saw it and brother in laws, what a goal that was a joy to watch and I still want Leicester to win the league if it’s not us.

George 🙂 🙂 🙂 What are you doing GiE, gicce the kid a chance to chose his own team 🙂 🙂

Easy what’s your latest camera? I’m considering an upgrade on my EOS500D as its the big 40 this year and someone might love me enough to buy a better one for me…..considering the 70D

Eddie indoctrination starts early 😈

yes Gie, someone has to tell you lot off from time to time 🙂

never mind Leicester, Totts are favourites now to win the League!!!! How about that??

Not quite, but heaven only knows why we’re above them.

I am sure i have seen some bookies offering better odds for us than for Tottenham. They are better, aren’t they?

Chas
    The only reason I can think of, and it’s quite a good one, that Arsenal are above City and Totnum could be the bookies understand we’re a far better outfit with Coquelin.

Agbonlahor scored for Villa yesterday; he’s been with AV since 1994!!!!!!!!!!!! And Lescott still doing well – City should have kept him

Micky
    I just think that they have 3 more points than us (hopefully not after today’s game, of course) and they have momentum which we don’t.

I realise that odds are just snapshots of a moment in time and change after every result. The bookies will be assuming that Leicester and the spuds will fall away because they don’t have ‘experience’ but now Leicester have confounded that by forging a gap in the points.

By the way, I’m not being doomist as I only ever look at it one game at a time (I find anything else is pointless).
    I am only talking about the odds offered.

By the way I think someone posted this vid of Silva the other day…..unbelievable https://youtu.be/fZw9q3YoMk4

I wonder if Leicester fans are still planning to not watch the first 5 minutes of our game against them at the Emirates.

why would they do that? Protest? some woodoo?

Morning Chas. Sorry I think you have caught a touch of pessimistitis from yours truly.

I think the point I was trying to make yesterday would have been better if I had just asked “how do you think the vast majority of fans will react if Leicester or Spuds win the title this year ahead of us?”. Not how you would feel personally but a prediction of the general Arsenal fan base mood in this situation.

Another question could be “would that mood be very different if it was Citeh rather than one of the other 2 that pipped us?”.

Off for a while. Thanks in advance for the post Raddy. May not have time to comment till after the game.

GB – hold on a second GB! You cannot put in the same basket scenarios of Leicester and Spuds winning the EPL. Completely different propositions on so many levels.

I think some Arsenal fans may even be pleased if Leicester were to win. I doubt any would be happy is Spurs did. City’s win would just prove nothing.

GIE. I bought a Olympus OM EM 10 mk2. with two zoom kit lenses. Very happy with the smaller mirrorless system but not really had a chance to experiment.

GoonerB
    I don’t think it would change the mood at all if Leicester won the League. Those who want Wenger out will remain even if we win the damn thing. They may go quiet for a bit but be there louder than ever at the next poor run.

If the spuds win the League, then all hell will break loose but that would be the case whoever the Arsenal manager was.

If City win it then I suppose you could say that everyone expected that anyway as they’ve bought it before.

Snap, Eddie. 🙂

I have definitely not caught a touch of pessimistitis, I was commenting on the odds on offer.

87. Le Coq Monster says:

Like chas`s photo @7:45 !…………Wenger multi tasking……doggy style and holding up two cups !….impressive !……and what looks like a smile on the dogs face ! hahaha

Grandpa duty…. hence an early post.

There is a New Post

Nice choice Raddy, my Dad bought a Sony system camera and then bought an Olympus tough which I must admit both gave impressive noise reduction at high iso compared to my 500D, hence my wish to upgrade as the system cameras and point and shoots are packing a lot of good tech, I prefer the larger DSLR in my hands and for framing and with already investing in decent glass I don’t want to throw it all out.

My Dad defaults to the Olympus Tough because of proximity of grandchildren normally and the weight.

91. best weight loss diets says:

It is usually a statement or two identifying why the project is being created.
    As with any type of retail business, how you operate a used goods store effectively depends on how well you manage your inventory.
    How to Become Successful: The Four Blueprint Success Questions.