Who Will Be Arsène’s Successor?

There is clearly a need and indeed an obligation for a top football club, such as Arsenal, to have begun the intricate process of longer term planning for the managerial succession once Le Roi, Monsieur Wenger, finally calls it a day as he seems to have obliquely indicated from time to time.

The conundrum the Board have is that it may not be as straightforward as it might seem on the face of it.

All public limited companies, including Arsenal Football Club, are subject to the requirements of the Companies Act to avoid foreseeable risks and therefore they need to plan for the inevitable succession and also carry out due diligence which would seem to rule out any appointment from left field which would create its own problems, as they would not want an unstable regime such as the Moyes appointment after Ferguson retired.

For myself, I have absolutely no doubts that conversations between the Board and Arsène have already taken place, and he will surely have an input as to who his likely successor might be.

The need to carry on the momentum of the club and also its need to remain at the top of the footballing tree, would seem to rule out any appointment from left field which would seem to rule out the appointment of an inexperienced wannabe manager including someone who is currently taking his coaching badges, such as Thierry Henry and the like.

What is needed, you might think, is an established, successful, well grounded, experienced manager conversant with the needs of a top, top football club, and that would bring its own problems in terms of the timing of Arsene’s retirement, and the then availability of the required quality of managers, with an eye on the advancing age of those currently managing other top clubs, as that is part of the price that is paid for experience.

I do not have any real idea who would be the fans’ favourite to take over, other than the obvious one of Guardiola, but no doubt you guys will have your own ideas on who should be recruited when King Arsène steps down and who should be crowned the new king of Arsenal.

There is an alternative to the above, which despite my pooh-pahing of a left field appointment could actually happen if all the pieces fall in order.

Arsene’s contract has been extended for another three seasons, of which another season or two remains, or so I have heard, finishing in the summer 2018.
Meanwhile, the appointment of Remi Garde as the Aston Villa manager for a similar period has also been announced, and this may not be entirely a coincidence. Training for the ‘Big One’? Maybe not.

Anyway, if an ‘Arsenal man’ is the preferred option for both the Board and the fans, other than the inexperienced ones – and it may not be, then it is entirely possible that someone, like Garde, who has had experience of running an EPL club, by then, and has also managed a top French team could be the answer.

Whatever happens, or whoever is appointed, it will be a novel experience for many of us after all these years of the Professor, but everything and everyone has a beginning and end, and I for one will be sorry to see Arsene step down, it will also be an exciting move into an new era at the club.

Vive La France, Vive Arsene, Vive L’Arsenal. 😀

Now let’s be ‘avin’ yer! Who do you want?

RA/Redders/Red Arse

91 Responses to Who Will Be Arsène’s Successor?

I’d pick Ossie Ardiles

What’s more, I reckon he’s available now. Just looked him up on Wiki, and it says he’s in the UK as we speak running The Ossie Ardiles Soccer School. Wiki also reminds us of what made him such a great manager:

“As manager of Spurs in the mid-1990s, he played several matches utilizing a formation that had five forwards, a formation that hadn’t been used in English football since the 1950s”

Thanks RA 🙂

You is bonkers, Micky, but you also make a beguilingly enticing point.

When they hang draw and quarter you at Tyburn for these heretical thoughts, I will be there to sadly say, ‘alas, poor Micky, I knew him well, all five bits of him was bonkers!’.

RA. Thank you. As ever an interesting post.

I expect an interim manager, someone of magnitude and someone coming to the end of his career – a Hiddink/Benitez type of appointment.

This will tide us over to the real inheritor of AW’s legacy. A young vibrant manager in the Eddie Howe mode will be Arsenal’s future. Could it be DB10 or TH14 as they finish their coaching badges?

I have often said that the obvious candidate in PV4 but whether we can prise him away from a Northern Oilers future is questionable.

You can be as negative as you like RA, but I will not be forced down that route.

My second choice would be the Chap with the big nose currently at Manchester City (sorry, don’t know his name), and the reason is simple. Again, just looked it up, and City have scored more goals than anyone else, and THAT is the point of football.

5. We Arsenal fans always favour a legendary hero returning to manage our club, without really knowing anything about potential capabilities for this very demanding job. Frank Mclintock was one, not suitable. Tony Adams another, not suitable. Patrick Viera another, probably not suitable and also unlikely to be offered the job.
    Another who IMO will not be suitable is Thierry Henry.
    Remi Garde is hardly an Arsenal legend, who played a limited number of games for the club, but this does NOT mean that he is not suitable.

6. RC78 says:

The best would be Guardiola without a doubt. However, it seems that he has committed to City. So who is left?

– If Guardiola goes to City, Pelligrini will be available and he is a good coach and knows the EPL so why not?

– I also like Jorge Jesus (Portuguese Coach) as he is one that manages to have teams play some good football and bring out some young talents. He would come with a good network in Portugal as well as in South America.

– What about Heinkes for a year and having Henry and Bergkamp as under-study. They could then take over the following year.

Martin,

I have a lot of respect for Patrick Vieira, but a couple of years ago there was some talk about him coming back to Arsenal as assistant to Wenger, and I was initially hopeful that something would come from this.

But the scuttlebutt was that towards the end of his career at Arsenal he wanted to move on, perhaps because the writing was on the wall from his viewpoint that Arsenal would struggle while the new stadium was built.

In fact, I remember that every summer there were strong rumours that either he wanted to leave, or Thierry Henry wanted to leave, but in each case Wenger was adamant that they would not be allowed to go.

The story was that there was a lot of bad blood over this, and true or not Paddy was only a shadow of his brilliant self in his last season at Arsenal before he was allowed to go.

Things were never the same after that between him and Wenger, and they still keep their distances from each other.

Vieira will eventually make a very good manager, eventually, but not at Arsenal, and more likely it will be at Citeh on his return from ‘Citeh USA’, and after Guardiola does his usual 3 year stint there.

Thanks Redders, I am assuming GoonerB is too busy with his camels to be our next manager? 🙂

It looks like we will are 2nd favourite for Guardiola – but you never know.

Of the ex legends, I’m not keen on TH14, he’s disappointed me as a pundit, he’s not as bright as I had thought. I think DB10 may have the personality to be a manager and he is working his way up from the bottom in terms of coaching, but as others have said, he’s not ready yet so maybe an interim manager would be the right way to go.

…. but can you have a manager who doesn’t fly?

PV is a good shout, he is also going about things in the right way….

Good point, RC.

I am still puzzled about the whole Guardiola business, first announcing his departure from Bayern and making it clear that he had offers from the EPL, but then backtracking and apologising, perhaps out of common courtesy, as speculation grew that Pellegrini was the incumbent fingered for the chop, and it was rank arrogance to imply that he would be ousted.

But the van Gaal business must make Utd want to step in and offer Guardiola a king’s ransom to join them instead.
    In addition, of course, Mourhino is sniffing around Manure like a dog after a bitch on heat, so who knows?

What adds grist to the mill, is the possibility that Wenger may decide to step down, if Arsenal win the EPL, and join the board of directors – unlikely tho that might be – and then Guardiola would have yet another top club to choose from.
    The Pellegrini to Arsenal idea is possible, but I think he is too old, and Raddy is probably right that a young, ambitious manager will come through whenever Arsene decides to hang up his spurs.

Whatever happens there is likely to be a managerial merry-go-round this summer.

Hi Rasper,

It is a moot point about GB’ availability – but like Micky he is barmy 🙂

To be fair, I cannot take credit for today’s Post as I simply typed what Corky (that”s the name of GB’s owner – Corky the Camel) dictated to me, as they have not yet designed a key board big enough for his hooves until the new Camel iPads are introduced.

He, Corky, pulls GB’s strings, of course. 🙂

Thanks, RA.

I’d probably go for a Micky/Eddie combo for home games against shite teams and GIE/GoonerB for the tough home games and all aways.

Aside from that I haven’t got a scooby.

I think as we move forward and the game has got richer and quicker the days of older managers is coming to an end.A bit like Prime ministers, who 100 years ago were regarded as young when they were in their eighties.

AW might stay on for a few more years or go out with his held head high with the league wrapped up this season.
    Who really knows apart from the fact that we will never ever see a tenure such as SA or AW ever again.

Pep is the natural successor but an alleged 21 million from City a year is hard to turn down.

(Look away now) but Mourinho would be the total opposite of what most Arsenal fans would want but if he or us wanted a challenge it would be foolish to rule him out though in all likelyhood he will finish up at United if he stays in the PL

chas 🙂

I wouldn’t have any of the old Arsenal’s greats, it never works, does it? How many great ex-players made to be great managers? None. I am sure Gary Neville is going to be the first one, but I cannot see him coming to Arsenal, can you? For that reason and 100 others I would love to appoint Pottechino, top man for the job. AND it would piss off the Spuds for decades to come 🙂

I can fly.

Don’t mind Dennis as my assistant to be groomed in my ethos to eventually take over. Will pack him off early on a camel for away European games.

Kelsey, just sending some soap to you through my keyboard. Now if you would just be a good chap and stick it in your mouth until said orifice is suitably cleansed it would be much appreciated. 🙂

GB. Seconded. Get to it kelsey

Martinez? Micky would like him as he doesn’t focus at all on defence

Many thanks R.A. for a fine post. I love a teasing question and you have chosen a topic that doesn’t require any tactical bolleux chat. I was certain that you would go that way as I know you just can’t get enough of my insight 🙂

I have made no bones about Pep being the one for me. Nothing in life is certain or guaranteed but if we were doing it on a suitability and risk assessment basis he would probably score the highest.

I do have misgivings, as you all know, about how I feel AW is developing the current team on a playing and tactical basis, but I might be totally wrong in my feelings and still recognise that we have one of the very best.

As such I wouldn’t push him out the door for just anyone. The difficulty could be if say Guardiola wanted us and wanted to start immediately next season but Arsene wanted to see out his final year. I know some would side with Arsene and say he has earned the right to chose. I would look at this as a unique situation in uncharted territory and really feel we should snap up Guardiola in that situation. The long term development of the club is more important than 1 sentimental year.

I would actually hope that AW is part of making this happen and I actually think he would be as he has always done best by the club with his needs coming second. In fact I hope he is actively trying to seduce Guardiola himself and sell him the Arsenal project.

The one thing I am not keen on is the ex player steeped in the tradition of the club that plays assistant for a while and is groomed for the role, and then takes over. It doesn’t wash with me.

I think you really need someone to have cut their teeth as a manager in their own right elsewhere, where they have proven there is something about them. They need to have experienced those situations where the buck stops with them and how to overcome difficult periods without losing a dressing room before going in as manager at a top club. There may be the odd occasion it works and it does seem the trendy thing to do but I am not sold on it.

Players will automatically respect a manager more if they have a good track record. Even an ex top player could be undermined if there is a hint of lack of respect for them as a manager.

Top players will have far more respect for Arsene than they would for Thierry as a manager and coach for instance, and as such listen and carry out his ideology better. Respect as an actual footballer is a different area entirely.

20. Shard says:

I have often suggested that an experienced manager take over from Arsene, for 2 or 3 years, so that his legacy doesn’t weigh on him. And then we move for our long term target and allow him to build for the next decade. The names I had suggested were Ancelotti, Pellegrini, and Bielsa.

However, if the rumours are true that Arsene will be staying longer (please be true) then I think we might be able to cut out the interim stage, because as a club, I expect us to have moved up in terms of finances and desirability, and the team to have exhausted its natural cycle. Hiring a short term manager at that point would necessitate another round of rebuilding once he leaves. Why go through that? (Unless it’s Ancelotti. I like him)

As for who this long term successor might be. I don’t expect it to be any of the current, or perhaps, even then, big names. Remi Garde is a more than decent shout. Arsene has been full of praise for him for quite a few years, was supportive about him getting the Villa job, and he might even have had some influence over his appointment, what with Tom Fox there now, and perhaps through the owners who are both American.

Also, why not Steve Bould? He’s a former player, risen up from coaching the youth teams (very successfully), obviously knows the setup inside out, and doesn’t seem like he’d be afraid to speak his mind and put his own mark on things. Our very own Guardiola. 🙂

Dennis Bergkamp is often touted as an option, but his reluctance to fly, as well as his own statement (in his book) that he doesn’t see himself as a manager, seem to suggest otherwise. Of course things can change, but this would seem like a long shot to me. Hopefully he will be back as a coach or assistant.

GB

I have more respect for Erik than I do for Thierry, and God forbid they ever sign him up 🙄

I think you may all be forgetting one particular scenario, when referring to AW grooming DB10 or anyone else for that matter.

That’s him being sacked at the end of the season if we end below Totnum and Leicester. Now there’s a nasty thought to chuck into the equation.

Hi Crystals, 🙂

Given that I found your comment about 80 year old Prime Ministers and ancient managers as not being acceptable – for someone like yourself in your 80’s that is a brave call – and oh, so true. 😀

I tried to turn a blind eye to your suggestion regarding the sacked one, but as that eagle eyed wormer has said, and disappointed as I am to have to agree with him on this occasion, you really must take your medicine, and scoff that bar of soap – you shameless 80 y.o. hussy! 🙂

23. Gunner Smith says:

Football is a results oriented .All managers including Wenger are expected to win. The fm is an exception because at any other club,he would have been axed ages ago.
    Assuming Arsenal can get Guardiola, he would ,imho,be given at least 2 years or even more. There are also other equally capable candidates.
    However the top priority is winning.Failure to win consistently aint going to be tolerated especially the epl is now amore level playing field.Thats why LVG is having problems beating even lowly teams.

Good call, Shard, 🙂

Denis is a no-go in my opinion, both because he has never ducked the flight issue, but also because he says so too.

Stevie Bald is a good shout too, but he has made it known semi-privately that he does not see himself as a manager, and I think when Arsene does retire, he will too.

Like you, I am in no rush for Arsene to call it a day, but everyone has a certain lifespan, and he will know when it is time to go – let’s hope he gives the board plenty of time.

Of course, that leads to the other obvious point that presumably some contingency plans must be in place to cover for AW if he, like some other managers of his age, is suddenly taken ill?

Baldy Bouldy? A short-term appointment of another experienced manager? If so, who?

[I hope Chas does not see the ‘to’ instead of ‘too’ above (*2) but it weren’t me Guv] 🙂

26. Shard says:

RA

I remember there being some reports that Steve Bould was reluctant to take on the assistant manager’s job too, because he wasn’t sure he wanted the daily grind. While that would suggest that he isn’t a good candidate to take the managerial position, I think it just shows him to be a careful guy. I think he would want to be manager if it were ever a realistic opportunity. He seems happy with his current job despite his previous misgivings.

And I dare say that whoever the next manager is, he will not have as wide a portfolio of responsibilities and powers as Arsene Wenger. Which might suit Steve Bould.

Ok RSA

I will change it to Stewart Robson as he frequently blurts out everything that is wrong at the club 😉

28. David Sharpe says:

gareth southgate will take over from wenger,you heard it here from me first

David Sharpe – hi, you cannot just come in on this blog and say something as outrageous as @12:50. To back it up you must at least offer a forfeit you are prepared to execute if you crazy prediction has no merit whatsoever. Now then – the forfeit is … (3 dots in ellipsis)

30. David Sharpe says:

its not something plucked out of thin air,if you followed arsenal as much as i do you would know that wenger has a lot of respect for southgate,he is like a young wenger,the board will allow wenger to find his successor,and that will be southgate

Like the bold call David hope you come back in the future. Have a look up top “Be Our Guest”. Give it a go.

Hi David, speculation is what blogging is all about. I have heard AW say some good things about Southgate in the past, but I am also aware that Southgate hasn’t had great success in his managerial career so far and that AW is generally supportive of other managers.

So we are happy to entertain your suggestion, but surprised by the definitive ‘it will happen’ – would you put your house on it?

33. RC78 says:

By the way – Marquinhos from PSG is looking to move if he is not a guaranteed starter next year. He is an absolute gem and I am not sure why David Luiz is ahead of him in the pecking order. If he is allowed to move (50 Mln EUR min), Arsenal should go for him. He is fast, extremely good in the air and on one-on-one and he can play CB plus RB. He is super young and too good really. If he leaves my home team, he should come to Arsenal to replace BFG.

34. David Sharpe says:

i will put money on it yes,remember when wenger was appointed?its a gut feeling i have,just feel that southgate is similar to wenger and after all the years wenger has been in charge,we need continuity,anyway this is who i feel MAY take over,no different from the other names mentioned

35. RC78 says:

I think Jorge Jesus will take over…

Fair enough David .. just asking 🙂

It was a long time ago, but back then the cry that went up from the fans and the media was “Arsene Who?”

The appointment of Arsene was a left field one, if ever there was – it makes those I mentioned in the Post very standard – but Dein pulled a rabbit from the hat, and it was somewhat exaggerated by the amazing similarity in the names – Arsene/Arsenal -I thought it was a spoof at first – no reason to think a similar appointment might not be made next time, except that the owners who made that appointment are now long gone.

Shard,

You might be correct that over time, Baldy could have had a change of heart and want to be a manager should the opportunity arise, but there are many other instances of an assistant choosing to do that job throughout their careers, and working at the same club with different managers over the years. Alan Curtis at Swansea brings to mind.

It is not a reflection on someone’s ability, it is more a personal characteristic, which happens in all walks of life. Some very competent people just do not want the hassle of dealing with certain aspects of management, and are quite content to assist, and be valued for that job.

Bouldly does not have the charisma or the public face to be Arsenal’s manager, and I cannot see that changing myself – but who knows?

Having a swift read thru the comments, apart from David Sharpe’s suggest of Gareth Southgate all the others have been sort of samey, so how about these guys;

Luis Enrique — Barca
    Unai Emery — Sevilla
    Allegri — Juventus
    Simeone — Atletico Madrid
    Laurent Blanc — PSG
    Hacking — Wolfsburg
    Gallardo — River Plate
    Overmars — Ajax

These seven would be ranked very highly in the world with well known clubs who are not all big spenders, but where the talent of the manager can be seen.

David Sharpe – take Gaviscon mate, excellent stuff for gut 🙂

41. RC78 says:

RA – good short list except for Allegri, Hacking and Gallardo.

On the Italian side, sadly Ancelotti will go to Bayern. However, Conte could be available and he is quite a coach.

On the English side of things, I would rather take Bould than any other coaches.

Redders, what is clear is that a manager can have an excellent CV and go to an established club but for some reason it doesn’t work out. The Press and the supporters will get on his back and eventually he leaves/gets the sack. Yet that manager can go on to be successful again at another club in the future.

So it is more than just looking at who is successful at the present time, it’s as much to do with who will gel with the club ethos, owners and players.

It probably takes an incoming manager 2-3 years to build his ‘own team’ and that is only possible if the owner coughs up for the players he wants. If there is not a significant improvement/acceptable consistency in results after 3 years, then the manager has to take a portion of the blame.

Who knows, Moyes may have got manu to TOTL by now. With the average tenure of managers falling all the time (less than 2 years?) the job of finding the right manager becomes much more difficult.

I was surprised and disappointed that Zellalam who seemed to be getting some good reviews of hi play for Glasgow Rangers has been getting a lot of stick from Ranger’s supporters, or some of them.

However, rather than call him back to Arsenal I think it is better for him to take his licks and work thru the critics complaints, as it is all good experience of the outrageous slings of fame and fortune – to torture a neat adage – which will make him better appreciate the rewards for hard work in the future. 🙂

Rasper,

A very apt reminder that patience is limited in the world at large today and even more so in the results orientated sports arena such as football.

The list I made above of some well known managers, and some lesser known managers was to highlight that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Experienced/successful, experienced/currently not yet reliably successful.

Not all those managers were/are especially successful at the moment — but then neither was Wenger when he joined Arsenal – hence the ‘Arsenal Who’ comment above.

How about Benitez? Gawd help us – but he is hugely experienced and has had his successes, at least in the CL – but not for me, thanks. 🙂

Incidentally Rasp – I do not answer to the nomenclature ‘Red Arse’ as that may offend some, and is no longer appropriate, please. 🙂

I suppose Bertie Mee had the pedigree and charisma 😉 but he was definitely old school and didn’t like Charlie nor his hairstyle. 😉

Yes Kelsey, and AW couldn’t wait to shift Paul Merson on despite the fact that he was very popular with the supporters – mind you he has subsequently turned out to be a grade A pillock 🙂

One of the consequences of Arsene retiring eventually, is that there will be just as much coming and going of managers as there is for all the other ‘big’ clubs.

A pity if that turns out to be the case as the stability AW has brought to the club, despite all the whinging, has been priceless – but I just do not think we will see another genius like him for many decades – if ever.

OK Redders, your previous nomenclature is consigned to the bin 🙂

I’m agreeing with you about the choice of managers, there can never be one who is guaranteed to succeed. It would be interesting to know what criteria the Board/owner will employ when looking for an eventual successor.

Kelsey, you rogue. 😀

Berti Mee = pedigree and charisma?

What is it you guys say — “you’re ‘avin’ a larf”

Was that the same guy who was the club’s physiotherapist? Talk about left field appointments!

He had no managerial experience before being appointed by Arsenal, unless you mean his ‘experience’ came in the form of Dave Sexton and Don Howe — so he was smart, I’ll give you that – but ‘pedigree’ – oh, do stop!! 😀

And as for ‘charisma’ well, OK, if an army sergeant image is deemed to be charismatic. No?

On the face of it Kelsey, you are on a bummer there — except he gets the credit for the first Arsenal ‘Double’ — or was that Don Howe?? 🙂

Good to see you back in action, Crystals.

Charlie George said he modelled his hairstyle on a dancing fiend called Crystals, who looked like a flowering dandelion seed pod. 😀

Wonder who that was?

Thanks Rasper,

The spelling of the second part of the name was always awkward for me to remember – I think you know it was not intended to be anything other than a simple contraction of Red and White, [colors} and Arsenal – it was much later that I realised it could be construed as something else! Well – you guys do sometimes spell things funny! 😉

Anyway, Room 101 is where it belongs. 🙂

Southgate is not a bad call. He is resurrecting his career and has the intelligence of an Arsenal Man

You fall into it every time RA, You Yanks have a totally different sense of humour.Bertie Mee = charisma hahaha

Of course I do, Kelsey – you type something – I question it – and oh, yes, I am ‘falling for it’.

Not that you were saying a load of bollix or anything then? 🙄

You are not waiting for me to fall for it too, Raddy @ 5:09? I hope. 🙂

RA

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to write something today, I have been busy so flitting in and out is the best I have been able to do today.

I thought David Sharpe’s left field suggestion of Southgate was fun.

Nowadays, in the world of management, I think being multi lingual counts for so much. It is sort of common sense that if you were 15 and the Romanian Messi for example that you, and your parents, would be much happier for you to work with someone who speaks your language.

Wenger exploited that for years; he was able to pillage the francophone world for ages before others started to get in on the act.

I have a confession to make.
    I cheated in the film quiz this morning.
    I knew only one answer, number 4, Get Carter.
    Eddie won.

2 and 3 tell you the answer if you click on the image.
    For 1 and 5, I just googled the URL.

I’m disgusted with myself and understand completely if I’m shunned from now on.

Shard
    You can go back to having no faith in the site as no-one knew it was Terminator 2.

Try it for yourself on this one.

Gold Digit?

That is a valid point, LB, and must have been a huge help to Arsene that he is a polyglot. 🙂

60. Nice one Redders

Arsene leaving doesn’t bear thinking about, so I don’t. If there’s any justice, Arsene will make us deliriously happy by outliving us all, but a few posters on here have recently given indications they may be under fifty? I don’t envy them. Outliving Arsene is incorrect.

Anyway, we all know there is no justice. I gave up on this pointless concept after finding out Terry Wogan was actually paid for his presenting and when Joe Dolchis “shud upper yer face” kept Ultravoxs Vienna off number one.

Don’t misunderstand Redders, Dolchies performance was top quality whilst Vienna was a load of keyboardy crap, it’s only that Dolchie looks like a cousin who disgraced the family by marrying some one suspiciously non Greek.

If Arsene does retire, I hope he will still attend games as a supporter. This will give us comfort in that whilst the game is going on, we can all stare at him.

chas you monster 🙂 I tried cheating too inspecting the elements but that didn’t get me anywhere 🙂

shard – i can’t believe he admitted to being a cheat 🙂 That’s the absolutely wrong thing to do

Terry, 😜

Always great to have your view on important matters.

A dodgy looking non-Greek, eh?

Wasn’t the avaricious Cockie-Doodle was it. 👽

64. Shard says:

It means you won Eddie.

But it also means that now everyone who wins will be looked at with suspicion. Chas has destroyed the integrity of the motning movie quiz 😦

ha ha ha ha 🙂 integrity of the movie quiz 🙂 🙂

If he is outsourcing/delegating the job tomorrow morning, could you please include some love stories?

good night all.

Cobblers did she win. I won but I suppose that being a proper English Gentleman I should step aside gracefully and let the little woman take the plaudits – so I will. (that should get a response 🙂 )

Let me get in early folks and ask for a post for tomorrow …… any takers? 🙂

RA you kind of answered your own point of not being able to be a left field appointment when you say in comments that Arsene himself was the leftist of left field appointments.

Most of the watching world thought our board had totally lost the plot. After success every other club tried and failed to bring in a similar revolutionary manager, Christian Gross anyone? Arsene paved the way to make the EPL what it is today.

If I had to answer the question I would struggle, not because I can’t think of a replacement, but because I don’t know that they can do it. Whoever it is will get my unconditional support…..unless it was Maureen or Pulis.

I tried to cheat but it didn’t bloody work 😦

POST
    I’ll do a quick conversation starter

ha ha ha

“send me an angel…err..err a titless angel” ROLF

POST sent

The last kingdom, very unfunny

more films?

pool won on pens!! klopp must have been sweating. Scoucers REALLY want a final with Everton

Thanks Micky 🙂

Late start for BR. Looking forward to a Micky post.

Last Kingdom. Is that cinema or TV film? Looks a bit cheap for cinema

77. fatgingergooner says:

First choice for me would be Jochim Low (spelling?) followed by De Boer/Bergkamp. In the PL I’d keep an eye on Slaven Bilic over the next couple of years to see how he develops.

Never Bilic after this….

Morning all.

What is weird Raddy with that clip is that I think the reaction of everyone if it happened this Saturday would be different to then.

At that time the level of contact on Bilic would have been considered minimal and the finger of blame pointed at Bilic for making too much of it. Now that so many players overplay it I think it would be the reverse today and Blanc would have been blamed.

It would still be accepted that Bilic made more of it but as Blanc took a proper swing at him and did catch him to some degree it would have been said that “Blanc was stupid and naive as you just can’t do that”.

It more highlights how much more prima donna’ish and less manly the sport has become over the last 20 years.

No film stills today?

GB. There are events which give a much better indication of the nature of a man than his playing performance. Bilic theatrics show what must go through his head – he will cheat in order to give his team a better chance. This is not The Arsenal Way.

Another example is the cowardly eye-gouge by Mourinho. In times of stress one sees the real man.

GB. I agree about the tightening up of rules. The Bilic incident is further proof of the need for video refereeing in high profile games

RefCam
    That’s the answer. Mount a wee GoPro on the man in black’s head
    See and hear everything

Or not 🙂

84. Morning

Sorry all …………… just sorting the post ……….. back in a bit

85. New Post everyone …………….