5 Years, What a Surprise.

Who would have imagined that with less than half the season remaining Leicester would be 22 points ahead of the Champions Chelsea?

Chelsea’s season has been what my Colonial friends call a “train-wreck.” They cannot even make injuries their excuse for this comedy.The fitness coach, the demise of Fabregas and Hazard.The football world’s’ recognition that Costa is a nasty, cheating Spazilian. Mourinho, defeat after defeat. Schadenfreude at it’s finest..

Unknown

However, in the midst of this they beat us at the Bridge. It still wrankles – that imbecile of a referee cost us three points and an opportunity for Mr Wenger to smirk at the Portugese slimeball. Can Mr Wenger’s injury-ravaged team beat Chelsea this afternoon and gain some kind of revenge?

Hiddink seems a decent fellow. Never met the cove but I like the cut of his jib. With luck he will take Chelsea on a long flirtation with relegation. Three points for the men in  red and white would help him in his quest for fame, because Mourinho and Hiddink to take Chelsea down would guarantee their place in football folklore, an ambition Gus must find highly attractive

Do you want to me talk players, tactics, injuries etc? No, I thought not. It is all available elsewhere. Instead I will get personal….

Many years ago I joined a stream of chaps clad in red and white scarfs on a noisy walk down Fulham Road with the intention of arriving at Stamford Bridge full of song and bonhomie. Not far from the ground we were attacked by Chavs. I wish I could say that I stood my ground and fought with tigerish aggression – I didn’t. Thankfully, running was one of my innate talents and I dashed away from the scene with a turn of speed which I am convinced would have won a podium position in the Olympic Games 400 meters.

Once inside the ground we were assailed with whatever the neanderthals could throw at us. The police were noticeable in their absence and I recall the St John’s Ambulance service being very busy. In those days there was room for a fleet of ambulances by the side of the away supporters – they were often needed.

In the home stand there were hundreds of men raising their arms in Nazi salutes! Can you imagine how I feared leaving the ground and it’s relative safety? Fortunately we had a police escort back to the tube station.

hqdefault

They must love having a Jewish Owner

Strangely it didn’t stop me going back the following seasons.

Bringing us to today; Chelsea remain a hateful club. From their highly-dubious owner to their morally bankrupt club captain they are a club with no history and no honour. Sure they have silverware in the recent years but it is tainted – bought with (be careful of libel Raddy) questionable money. It was not jealousy that had the whole world laughing at JT’s penalty miss in the CL Final – after all his miss allowed the repulsive Mancs to win the cup. No, it was delight that a mate’s-wife-shagging racist (legally proven and thus not libelous) shitehawk like Terry made a dog’s arse of himself in front of billions.

Back to today ….

We have not beaten Chelsea for 5 years and we haven’t scored against them for almost 500 minutes  – it is time to break this hoodoo. Players are returning from injury, we will need them if we are to remain fighting for the title and a win today is important. Spurs and Leicester are  – I cannot believe I am writing this – a genuine threat

A  Giroud hatrick would fit the bill nicely.

COYRRG

161 Responses to 5 Years, What a Surprise.

1. Duck says:

Brilliant, BR.
    You’ve captured the true extent of their hideousness beautifully. 🙂

Blimey, don’t sugar coat it Raddy 🙂

I said earlier in the year that the chavs have become my least favourite team in the EPL – yes more than the lillywhites, and that for all the reasons you list.

But the fact remains that Maureen knew how to beat us and we colluded in that situation by refusing to adopt a more pragmatic approach. Was that the right thing to do?

Well Arsene believes it was/is and so we can expect Arsenal to be Arsenal today …. the question is, will Gus want to be Maureen for a day?

I’m nervous, I’d take a drawer, Ozil will be back but will we risk starting Alexis. The only prediction for the game is that we will see Elneny on the pitch at some point 🙂

Erik

Love the title 🙂

When we beat them in the Community Shield, Arsene rightly went with pace against the rubbish Chelsea defence. If both Sanchez and Mesut start, then I’d expect a similar shape

That day: Arsenal: Cech; Bellerin, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal; Coquelin, Cazorla; Ramsey, Özil, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Walcott.

Therefore, I’d expect Flamini for Coq, Joel for Ox, and with Sanchez back, Aaron would drop deeper into the Santi role

In short, Theo starts central

ps love the story of your flight and olympian turn of speed 🙂

Duck

Who got the flask for Christmas? 🙂

I do believe that Maureens mental collapse began at Wembley and the 1-0 defeat by The Gunners in August

6. Duck says:

Not an empty beer can in sight!

Flask has been a feature for 5 years or more.

If I didn’t know better, I’d say the small bottle to the left of the flask was 100ml’s of finest White Truffle infused olive oil, for Ant ‘n Duck to apply a light fragrant and aromatic drizzle to their pork pies, and I for one, welcome the upping of their game

8. Duck says:

Ant’s tucking in to the iced Christmas cake left over from last night’s pack up.

This is fabulous. The tone is low. 🙂

10. Duck says:

Mmmm, shallot vinegar. 🙂

He tucks into the sweet stuff before savoury? What a queer fellow

12. Duck says:

Last night was a bit crazy

we have not scored against them in 500 minutes??? Nay, not possible, surely not

Fan.bloody.tastic. Raddy at his best! you should drink more often 🙂

I witnessed violence at Highbury and and the Ems only a couple of times . But the worst incident was about 5 years ago when Chelsea fans were looking for trouble. They were taunting our supporters, shouting abuse, making rude gestures. They picked on one fellow and hit him on the back of the head. He turned around and punched the attacker so hard that I could hear the nose breakin;, it was disgusting, blood everywhere….but guess what, Chavs did not stop! They continue causing trouble

Having said all that, I know one of the most decent man on this earth who is a Chav.

Anyway. We must win today. A hattrick would be great.

aaahh, Ducks are on their way, lovely

You’re taking the piss now with that shallot vinegar comment, aren’t you? 🙂

16. Duck says:

Older brother is on pack up duty today as we were at a gig in Derby. Train from there this morning and back to Notts after.
    This was the remains of last night’s.

And the flasks’ contents are what exactly? Sloe Gin or Crème de Menthe perhaps 🙂

18. Shard says:

The only times Chelsea have been likeable was under Ranieri, and under Ancelotti. Maybe they should hire an Italian manager.

Glad Mourinho is gone, though it would have been nicer if he had stayed and given Wenger a fair chance to beat him in the PL.

That defeat at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season. In my view, it has created a better environment in the league for us. The reaction to that game amongst a lot of fans, myself included, was that perhaps it is time to give up football except as a wwf style scripted entertainment. I think the authorities got the message because they could no longer hide behind excuses like Arsenal being weak, or useless, etc. That was the reason they overturned Gabriel’s red, awarded a suspension to Costa, and Mike Dean hasn’t been referee in our games since. Without the manner of that defeat, I reckon we would have had Mike Dean style refereeing performances more often, and Chelsea and Mourinho would have had more favours from the refs. That was a Pyrrhic victory for Mourinho.

I expect us to win this game. We’re good enough, we’re dedicated enough, and we are slowly getting the injured players back, and that is bound to add to the morale in the camp. Ozil got a rest against Stoke, Alexis will probably be on the bench. Elneny might get some game time, and maybe Coquelin and Rosicky can make the bench.

Maybe, if Wenger is going for a more cautious approach, Arteta,Elneny or Chambers can start next to Flamini in the middle, and Ramsey starts on the right. Considering that Chelsea will probably use two of Matic, Mikel and Ramires in their midfield, it might become a physical battle in the centre that Ramsey would be less efficient in. However, Arteta’s lack of speed,Chamber’s relative inexperience and Elneny’s unfamiliarity might give some pause to that.

Is Hazard fit? If so, I’d start Campbell on the right ahead of Bellerin, because he is better defensively.

My preferred lineup

Cech
    Bellerin Kos Per Monreal
    Ramsey Flamini
    Campbell Ozil Ox
    Giroud

Theo on the bench along with Alexis. Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny, Ospina, and then a toss up between Arteta/Chambers/Coquelin (defensive options) or Rosicky/Iwobi/Jeff (attacking options)

So many options. It isn’t easy being manager.

19. Duck says:

We went for a ‘Spoons breakfast at 9. That’s the extent of our culinary sophistication.

Hark, I hear the summons of a taxi.

21. Shard says:

Jim Beam. Breakfast of Champions.

22. Ant says:

Great stuff A&D.

Jim Beam is so sweet …a ladies drink. Might as well open up a bottle of Babycham 🙂

24. Duck says:

Jamesons in the flask.
    Hairy dog.

That’s better Those Irishers know how to make a tipple

26. Ant says:

You have a women’s purse!

27. Duck says:

28 across
    A holiday message Pink Floyd release (4,3,4,4)

Now That’s What I call Music

29. Gunner Smith says:

I am bothered by the the mo aint strong enough to dish out cards when robust challenges come thick and fast.
    You just have to look at the Everton game where Terry’s goal was not ruled offside.
    A similar thing could happen to Arsenal in other ways.
    That’s why I hope the FA or ref chief will take immediate action against errant refs.

Hi Gunner Smith, most clubs believe the refs are biased against them – remember maureen complaining that the chavs weren’t getting the decicions earlier in the season.

Refs can try consciously to be fair, but subconsciously they will always be susceptible to suggestion. you’d think that the ref today will be aware of the injustice of the first game and resolve to make sure there isn’t a repeat performance.

31. Duck says:

😀

I like the WM formation and so does Micky

33. Shard says:

You’re besmirching Micky’s reputation Raddy. A 3rd back? Not for a football purist like didit.

34. Duck says:

Thanks Raddy.

I am with Micky in going for pace up top against the slower Terry and Ivanovich. I bet they would rather face Giroud than Theo and that would say it all for me. I don’t expect AW to tweak it though and make any tactical changes to the line up.

I think this game will tell me a lot about how confident I am regarding our title credentials.

Raddy – I sent a link to your post to my Chav ex-boss. His response was predictable 🙂 I will spare you the highly articulate abuse. He ended with “When you see your mate, tell him an ellipsis has three dots not two or four.”

I told him to calm down, after all it is only football.
    He replied: “It’s not the football that upsets me, it’s bad punctuation” 🙂 🙂 I think he is nervous

Whoa, hang on a minute

Erik “I like the WM formation and so does Micky”
    Shard “Not for a football purist like didit

Thank you Shard. Blimey, my hard fought reputation could have been in tatters. Herbert Chapman was the worst manager not only in our history, but English footballs history.

Ossie Ardiles being the best of a rubbish recent lot (past 80 yrs)

GB – yep, if we cannot beat poor Chelsea now, we are not a champions material

39. Duck says:

GoonerB
    Do you see what you’re agreeing with?

40. Duck says:

We are if we get more points than anybody else come May.

GB

Hasn’t Arsene being saying something about Theo not being a rubbish striker
    In other words, bigging him up 🙂

I will be cross if Theo doesn’t start ahead of Ollie for this one, but possibly even crosser if Theo starts wide right in front of anyone

Amazing goal on Match of the Day last night.

The Bassong pile driver of course.

Help me out LB

A dribbly and slot goal, the pile driver, the bender or the top spin lob?

Headers don’t count, of course. They’re for defenders, who in turn, don’t count

Dele Alli? Good player, great name, unbelievable goal

ha ha ha
    He used the pile driver term 🙂

Easily the best refereeing moment of all time

Top stuff BR

You are so right about Chavski.

I dislike the Spuds for historical and proximity reasons and because it’s part of our tradition.

With the Chavs it’s personal. They are a dislikable club run by dislikable people with dislikable players and odious supporters.

Please beat them today boys!

Eddie. What is an ellipsis?

2.17 I love that referee. Need a good one today what with the Chavs being so adept at the dark arts. Ivanovich has a nasty habit of going through the oppositions best player in the first few minutes of a game.

We have the pleaure(?) of being reffed by Mark Clattenburg today. Let’s hope he is strict and watches Costa.

BR

You’ll find them between your echinnis and your enoses

I’m never happy playing the Chavs, just have an awful feeling they will adopt full on bus parking and try to set Willian and Hazard away on the break.

Interesting that Alexis is on the bench, concerns over Ozil so at least if he has to come off it doesn’t overly weaken the side with Alexis to come on, or didn’t want to make the call between JC and Theo, far easier to see which one has a good game today with the threat of Alexis to come in behind them.

RL Superb … 😀

Ramsey will have to stay disciplined alongside Flam.

Theo has been pants lately – so that means he’s due a good one 🙂

Raddy – hell knows 🙂 He is a terrific guy,except when he talks footy, an absolutely obsessive Chelsea fan if there ever was one. His brother is a Gunner though

Now I’m getting really nervous 🙄 …… this is a chance to lay some ghosts to rest …..

57. Bowie’s Heroes blaring out loud and proud

Phew, just in time
    Come on you Gunners

On the sofa, hope I don’t need to get behind it

Theo looks like Ghengis Khan 🙂

Really good game so far. We need to get closer to Willian who is looking dangerous.

Clattenburg does us again.

That said it was a clear red card as BFG didn’t get near the ball.

Still we can win with 10

last man, 100% red
    Clattenberg had no option

That’s been coming and it came from the left where Monreal has struggled because Theo is not tight enough to Willian..

Not happy about AW’s decision to sub OG, especially now we are behind.

A sense of déjà vu, all over again, and again!

Flamini and Rambo — covering for the defense, especially for the slow Per? Don’t be silly.

66. Aaron says:

To get a red you need to hit the guy, if anything Per might have got a toe on him max, no different than Campbell up the field right before. last man was keeper gents. Replay showed no or barely any contact..Against any other team does this food costa get away with this crap. Hell if you are going to get a card go studs up and take him out for a few weeks.
    This crap is getting entirely predictable. We get crap ref for big game and either have someone sent off for first foul or a penalty given. On time every time. Geeeezzzzz

He had to take someone off, Raddy – me – I would have taken off Theo.

68. fatgingergooner says:

need to get to half time and get Sanchez on. Only chance we have of playing on counter is with Sanchez getting out of tight spaces. Walcott and Campbell don’t do that.

Giroud sub is a strange one.

no Aaron – last man, denied goal scoring opportunity.

70. Aaron says:

Eddie, looked it up-you are correct. The question is was there any contact???

71. Giroud only passed fit just before the game so probably an easier decision than we think for AW

Aaron – just. that twat Costa made the most of it

The Chelsea Brazilians would definitely win the best actors’ awards at the Oscars for making the most of tame tackles.

74. Aaron says:

Barcelona have Messi-we have flamster….

75. Now if we were playing totts Flamini would have scored 2 by now

I heard earlier today from some ‘knowledgable’ journalist pundits that this Arsenal had more physical and mental strength than in previous years.

I am going to get my eyes tested – cos I did not see much evidence of that.

Typical cheating Chavs. No contact from BFG on Costa.

I also don’t blame BFG for trying the tackle. What else is he going to do? Let Costa through for a one on one?

78. played ok after the red. not sure why Flamini is on the end of our chances, even with 11 men he was in the box. Chelsea dont look that dangerous and look happy to finish 1-0. IF we can get a goal back we could sneak a result.

Need Sanchez and Ox on though at some point soon as they can produce something out of nothing. Id be tempted to swap Flam and Campbell for them.

Not much to say except we are being comprehensively outplayed.

Some green shoots of recovery but we really do not need to have Flamini as the central finisher.

Sanchez must get at least 30 mins.

Ok, time to regroup, all is not lost. I hope Sanchez comes on before the 73rd minute and it is Theo he replaces. I seriously believe that if we can get it back to 1:1, we can go on to win COYRRG

Raddy,

An ellipsis is a punctuation devise consisting of three dots to signify there is a missing word in a sentence, like, ‘Costa is a . . . cheat.’

And he is.

What a bugger

I genuinely think he made the correct sub

Anyway, let’s get the next goal, and with superb home crowd, who knows.

83. We are missing what Giroud brings to the final third, we really don’t have another player that can do his role.

rocky – yes. It is better to be a goal down then one man down

Definitely think there was a question of offside before BFG went to ground, that said I can’t understand why he did.

And I know this sounds ridiculous but I think BFG paid for his decision to hand over the captains armband to Theo. Two elements, Terry has been let off for years because of the armband, as did StevieMe and Roy Keane, I think it was booking if his still got it on his arm.

Definition of red card is clear goal scoring opportunity, can it be when you are thirty yards from goal, Koscielnys pace and where Costa played the ball, Costa was running across the pitch for goodness sake. All things Clattenberg could have considered and would have if he had to send off the captain.

Secondly it means the player is thinking about other things than the game in hand. I rarely criticise BFG because he offers so much in reading of the game and leadership but today he let me down.

That said we weren’t really in it from kick off with several players flattering to deceive. Why has Flamini been the man in the box on two occasions? Because he is taking responsibility and not prepared to sit on the fringes of the game.

For me I’d make two moresubstitutions, Chambers on forRambo to make midfield stronger, and to help aerially at set pieces, Alexis on because his Alexis. JC off.

Play a 4-2-3 or 4-2-2-1 make sure full backs have plenty of cover from the holding 2 and let Ozil, Alexis and Theo try to stretch their back line about.

I can tell you why Flamini is in the box shooting … its because he hates losing and he always gives 100%. It’s probably not good if he’s needed defensively, but if no one else is going to attack the box, I can understand why he does.

😆 GIE, I wrote my comment before yours came up!!

Rasp, are you seeing things? GB’s last comment was at 1:40.

Cannot believe that Wenger has taken off Joel rather than flipping’ Walcott.

89. Aaron says:

Someone, anyone, please remind me when Walcott has scored?

65 mins. Have we had a shot on target?

Not a shot on target anyway, Raddy. 😦

The 10 men did well — but ……..

5 minutes of naivety cost us the game.

Fairplay to Chelsea they defended very well and we did not create a single clear chance

We were really good in the second half and perhaps deserved a draw.

The return of Sanchez will be important and just because we lost today it does not mean we are out of the title race but today’s defeat hurt … a lot

94. fatgingergooner says:

thought we played well with 10 and you cant accuse the players of not trying. sending off ruined our chances. poor decision by Merts. If we go 1-0 with 11 we still have a great chance to win the game.

tough to take but Sanchez looked good and Burnley next week to help get over it.

God damn
    Don’t you just want to play them again. Right now. With 11 men including Sanchez. Bugger.

I bet OG and BFG wish we could start again.

Including Sanchez….my thoughts entirely. The second he came on the pitch we had another dimension, Ozil came alive knowing there was at least one more he could work with at that level that very few can, both Alexis and Ozil draw defenders in and mainly keep it. The thing that Ozil does so well and that probably highlights the weaknesses of others is knowing when to release it and how to release it. He rarely plays a pass blind whereas so many others seem to judging by where the pass ends up, sometimes it’s better to keep the ball and try another angle than force a pass where one doesn’t exist.

So up side from the game is Alexis is back, upside from the weekend is we are still within 3 points of the leader and have both teams above us to play. So it’s in our hands,

But we need to find some spark.

I’m thinking I would go to the following for a few games:

Bellerin…..BFG……Koz…….Monreal
    …………..Flamini……..Coq…………….
    Alexis………….Ozil…………..Rambo
    ………………..Giroud………………….

Theo, Campbell, Ox, Chambers, Gibbs, Gabriel onbench.

But we need to get out of this dip and go on a run of four or five wins.

Next 5 games, Southampton, Bournemouth, Leicester, United, Swansea. We will soon find out if we have the stomach for the title challenge.

Bloody Chavs.

We actually created quite a few half- and there-quarter chances even after going 0-1 down, but we didn’t have the composure to make the most of them.

Mesut picked a bad day to have a rare poor performance and Fabregas, who has been poor all year, looked much the better player.

99. Shard says:

Frustrated, but with some pride as well.

Theo. Not a very good way to celebrate being captain. Once again a poor performance, and his lack of tecnhical ability is a real issue at times. Now that Alexis is back, I’d drop Theo, unless he’s playing through the middle. Poor Giroud. I wouldn’t have subbed him off, but the logic of going for speed over a target man is sound. I was furious that we conceded just a minute after that substitution. That piece of defending really annoys me. If we’d kept it at 0-0, I think we would have won even with 10 men.

Did anyone see a replay of the handball appeal we had just before the red card? I didn’t, and to me that signifies something fishy, because that is what used to happen earlier. Wrong decisions not shown on replay.

100. Le Coq Monster says:

I like GIE`s next 5 games !……2we will soon find out if we have the stomach for a title challenge “…….we have already found out with 2 points from 3 games !.
    Great thing about not being delussional is that I never see us as title challengers in the first place due to Arsene`s naivety in the Summer transfer window and current one, back to normal in a season that the main challengers are Leicester and the Spuds !.
    Full team against Burnley as that is our only chance of a trophy outside 4th place trophy !……maybe he will play Elneny or maybe he will keep him on the bench for the rest of the season to let him see how the EPL is different !.
    Wait `til next season when the Chavs and Manshafter spend like there`s no tomorrow and a few years later when Spuds, Chavs and even West Ham have stadiums to better or match ours and drown in the match day revenue pound notes !.
    Best and only chance in years and we will blow it !
    Sound pissed off ?…….you bet and if you`re not, then there is something wrong with you !.

Kroenke out …..Jabba in !

Cockie you are as ever a glass half full, practically empty supporter. If you didn’t think we were title challengers why do peeved?

If our last three games were Sunderland and Villa home and Newcastle away I might have some sympathy with your view, they weren’t they were against Liverpool and Stoke away and Chavs at home. Before them I hoped to come out in touch with the leaders, we are, Spuds have closed. And probably compared to recent seasons we got as many points if not more from those three games as we normally do. As I said next five games are key, takes us to Easter. But if City are still in title race, so are we.

102. Shard says:

We are most definitely in the title race. Alexis being back is huge, and when the Coq gets back that will be similarly huge. Add Elneny, Rosicky, and hopefully Welbeck and Wilshere and I don’t think a lack of signings can be reasonably put forward as a disgruntlement every time a result goes against us.

It’s a tight title race, and whether Arsenal can pull it off remains to be seen. But a lot of supporters seem to take this completely the wrong way. Shouldn’t the swings and roundabouts of a title race excite us? That’s how it used to be. Now unless you are 8 points clear, you are messing up your chance to win.. Cockie..grow a pair. 🙂

103. fatgingergooner says:

my glass is as full as yours GiE!

When we lost Walcott, Sanchez, Cazorla and Coquelin i thought our season was over and i wouldve been delighted to still be in the CL and FA Cup and within 3 points of the top coming up to February.

The game today was tough but the sending off was key. It happens. The big games are usually settled by small differences and Merts tackle was probably the difference today.

These players have shown before they can bounce back and i expect the same again in our next few games.

Completely agree with the importance of getting Coquelin and Sanchez back

If anyone had told me when those two first went injured, that two months later when they were returning we’d be level on points with City, and three points behind leaders Leicester, a. I’d have they were bonkers and b. I’d have taken it in a heart beat

Very disappointing today, but very much all to play for.

Also, I don’t think it will damage confidence one bit, as the team will understand the significance of those returning, and also the uphill mountain faced by any team going down to ten men so early in any match.

Having just written that last comment I feel positively chirpy, indeed the tail is well and truly bushed again

106. That was a very sad game of football although it’s fantastic to have Alexis back and amazing how Ozil and Alexis find each other.

Usual scummy tactics from Diego Costa. Per had already made me worried in the opening minutes where I’m sure his brain knew what he wanted his legs to do but somehow they couldn’t keep up with his train of thought 😦 Anyone think Gabriel would gave started ahead of Per if there hadn’t been the history?

I’d love us to hold onto the ball better when moving forward, we just waste too many passes at the moment but hopefully Coquelin will steady the ship when he gets back.

Ozil ran and ran and ran, he must’ve be shattered.

On another day Flamini would have been a hero and scored one of his chances.

Still in the top four and three points off the top, all good really 🙂

Shard, why don’t you write the match report, this sums the game up perfectly for me:

“Frustrated, but with some pride as well.

I don’t think we played very well. We played well enough to win, if we hadn’t been stupid for 5 minutes. Where was the midfield, why was Kos languishing rather than busting a gut to get level, and why did Per dive in? I would add that Costa went down without a touch, and that Clattenburg hence got it wrong, but that is besides the point.”

All I want to do is cry.

108. Oh damn it ……… I was just going to ask if anyone wanted to write something for tomorrow 🙂

109. Le Coq Monster says:

Hahaha ……………Nice to get a response !……………..”Glass half full, practically empty supporter”…………..worse than that GIE, I haven`t even got a glass !.
    And Shard !………the only one who needs to grow a pair is our manager !….and with the money he has under the mattress, they would be Jewelled encrusted gold one`s as lets face it he wont spend the money on some quality players we know he needs.
    We can all dream and think it`s all hunk dory but I get the feeling of deja vu….. groundhog day !……..we have all been here many times before and if I thought my club was a mid table small club I would be happy, but we are talking about The Arsenal !……remember the song and the usual up top banner…..”By far the greatest team”. Even though I will always love my club whatever, we are The Arsenal…..I expect and want more, I may be a no glass at all person on our recent past, but I`m a over filling glass on what I want for this club.
    For all the greatness he has brought to the club the manager has a flaw, he hasn`t the ability or what I would call common sense to look to the past and see a trend, a pattern of the obvious……injuries and the need to cover them, but hey !……they all might return and take us on a run to secure CL spot and no doubt you will be a contented supporter !.

😀 Cockie with that high pedestal that you have put The Arsenal on Cockie you must have had a lot of disappointing seasons as a supporter. We’ve been here before….yes.

We’ve been in semi finals and lost before, doesn’t meaner haven’t won in the following seasons, we’ve been in much better league winning positions before and lost them. We’ve been in worse positions and won. We’ve had ten point deficits on 4th place before and hauled it in. We are three points behind the leaders, I probably the most competitive PL for fifteen years. ManUre have accumulated less points this season than under Moyes, yet Moyes team languished in 7th or 8th 10-15 points off the leaders while LVGs United are 5th.

111. Shard says:

“…injuries and the need to cover them,”

Cockie, how exactly do you suppose we are where we are if we didn’t have the personnel in place to cover for injuries? I mean we lost our premier attacker and our first choice midfield all together, their replacements have been out, and we still managed to pick up points at the same rate as before.

Look at any of the squads in the league, even those who spent hundreds of millions, and tell me that they are any deeper than ours.

Did anyone say it’s all hunky dory? Do you live only in extremes? It’s either shit or roses. I would have thought 50 shades of grey would be right up your alley, but evidently not.

As for your snide response to what was a joke, with the old chestnut of ambition being equated with money spent, and how I lack it, or don’t want the best for the club. It is not appreciated. As if being happy with Arsenal is a bad thing.

And this idea that this is our last chance like ever..because you know..all those other clubs will buy like crazy… well, we buy intelligent, and we have depth already, we have added depth through our loanees and youth who all know how to play the game our way, AND we have the money to buy when a requirement or an opportunity comes up. Instead of wasting it because we must show ‘ambition’, we’ll use it to compete for a player we actually want.

And lastly, would we never lose a game if we bought lots of players? Why does this have to come up after every setback?

112. Anyone want to write something for tomorrow please 😃

113. Le Coq Monster says:

Mmmm !………..I did get the joke…..probably something to do with the smiley…..and my response was also lighthearted as I dont really think Arsene has diamond encrusted golden testicles !. hahaha
    I do have an opinion………infact we all do, but mine is not always pro Wenger and if I`m honest, I think he has took us as far as he can . Will another manager take us any further ?…..only Crystals has the answer !. Would I like to be like the Chavs and spend money hand over fist and have had several different managers but won numerous trophies ?……absolutely !
    Would we have won more titles if Usmanov had bought us outright instead of a majority shareholder ?…..I believe so, but yet again only Crystals knows !.
    The set back happened when we couldn`t beat a Kolo Toure Liverpool team !…..as I said before that game, I wopuld have bitten your hand off for 4 points from the Liverpool/Stoke games, yet some on here wanted 6 points !………..I blame them for their greediness !. hahaha
    Intelligent buying would have been to offer Liverpool £50M instead of £40m and a pound !
    I dont think I`m the only one on here who thinks this season should have been our best chance of winning the EPL and probably wont happen for a long time after………………….unless we get Uzzy in and a manager whoi will spend spend spend !………………..hey but it`s all an opinion. not something you would have is it ?……like f##k, trying stopping you !. 😀

114. Shard says:

That transfer is a lot more complicated than that. We didn’t ‘offer’ Liverpool anything. We activated a release clause in the contract they had with Suarez. They refused to abide by that clause. The PFA chairman refused to put pressure on them, and Suarez wouldn’t go to court over it without the support of the PFA, and probably didn’t want to join us that much anyway. And then Liverpool’s owner went on tv and bragged about not fulfilling their legal obligations and getting away with it, Where does the idea come from that any more money on the table and they would have taken it? and why 50? Why not 60? Or 80? Which is what they sold him for eventually.

Besides. I quite like the way it worked out with us getting Mesut Ozil instead. You see, I never wanted Suarez.

As for opinions.. Yes, we all have them.. What I objected to was the last sentence in your previous comment Cockie. It was unnecessary and intentionally personal.

Yes, we all know by now that you aren’t pro Wenger. But really, is ‘we should have bought more players’ really an intelligent argument for whenever we drop points. When quite frankly, our squad depth is quite conclusively proven. Which wasn’t always the case, but we didn’t always have the funds either.

115. Le Coq Monster says:

Sorry you took my last sentence as personal and unnecessary ….not meant to be !.
    Personally I think £50M would have got the Muncher at the time and I wanted him and also wanted Ozil as well…..and Alexis !
    We have had funds for the last ( I think 3 years ) and Gazidis is on record for saying we can compete with anyone on the transfer front and I`m not just coming out with this stuff because we lost……it was all said before when in my (and others) opinion that our Summer transfer window was shocking in only buying Cech !. A high percentage of AAers were dismayed that we did not buy DM cover and low and behold we got crocked in that area….amongst others !.
    You may think that our depth is OK, but what would our position be like if we had bought more cover and even a quality striker !…………………yet again, I have to hand over to Crystals for them answers !

And not being pro Wenger make me a leper !……the mans done good, just cant take us any further in my opinion !. 😀
    You talk a good game Shard and probably have the skills to take over from him !…..I`m sensing you have expertise in this region……..a top Kabaddi manager by chance ?….and I bet they play in Arsenal colours and you spend thrifty get loads of injuries but always feel justified whilst polishing your jewel in the crown encrusted gonads after a game !. 😀

116. Le Coq Monster says:

Oh and good night !

“Would I like to be like the Chavs and spend money hand over fist and have had several different managers but won numerous trophies ?……absolutely !”

Ok so net Chav spend since 2003: £601m if you want to know their actual spend (ie before taking off what they sold players for, then it’s £992m

In the last thirteen years they have won 4 league titles, 4 FA Cups, 1 CL and 1 Europa.

£60m (net) per trophy, £100m gross

So 10 titles, seems quite good, but at a cost of £601m lets put that into context, we made £209m profit in that time so a spend of £600m meant we would have been in a loss of £400m oh and by the way that £200m of profit between then and now, pretty much funded the build of the stadium.

But yeah let’s spend a bucketload and win a load of trophies it’s really easy, City have spent £689m since 2008 (again Net Spend, actual spent when receipts added back £927m)…..in 7 years!!!

2 league titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup

So £100m (net) per trophy or £232m (gross) per trophy

Since 2003 United 5 leagues, 1 FA Cup, 3 League Cups, 1 Champions league (Per Trophy spend £34m net, £70m gross)

Us well it’s 1 league 3 FA cups (£23m net per trophy, £100m gross) which I guess shows we’ve spent a lot more than some give us credit for.

For a laugh let’s look at some of the others in the league and see how spending really brings success these are net spends since 2003.

Spuds – £90.1m net per trophy
    Stoke – £90.6m
    Villa – £135m
    Newcastle – £70m

I could go on and on and on, but I’m guessing Arsene will still be seen to be a miser and a manager not capable of taking us forward and the owner will be seen as doing the fans an injustice because he is not prepared to bankroll the 4-1 gamble that sticking millions of his own cash in.

118. Jeremy says:

I know Arsene isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but to act like he’s taken the club as for as he can or that we’re stagnating under him seems nuts to me. After finally having some money to spend he’s brought in world class players like Ozil and Sanchez and Arsenal have won 2 trophies in the last 2 years. Even in the league we’ve gone from struggling to make top 4 to actually looking like we might win the thing.
    It’s the end of Jan and Arsenal are still in the fa cup, the champions league and the only team ahead of us on points is Leicester.

Jeremy

Commenting at 2am GMT is confusing. What Land do you come from, or are you simply an insomniac? 🙂

Wow, tough

Pure guesswork here
    1 pass
    2 pass
    3 pass
    4 pass
    5 dunno

If I were a heavy gambler and drinker I’d have a crack at 2 and 3. Here goes

2. Cool hand Luke
    3. He looks poor, northern and a bit of a junkie, so Trainspotting?

the elephant man
    cool hand look
    pass

Chas, morning

I don’t blame the ref, and I don’t believe Per would either.

It was the perfect 10/10 simulated dive from the little shit

Oooo, Elephant Man.
    Great work there Eddie

just don’t talk football micky
    Cats would be very welcome today

Agree. I’d be happy with dogs 🙂

Actually, we’ve got the dog home inspector coming to check out our home as a suitable venue tomorrow

wow micky 🙂 excellent news 🙂
    I had those inspectors to check if the home was suitable for cats. With 3 dogs around, they still approved 🙂 you know – dogs are like their owners. Mine are happy clappy push overs, they don’t even bark. I have to

no chas – wrong pic, cat is playing footy

What type of dog are you getting, Micky?

is it a coala bear 🙂 so funny

chas – labrador.

actually, I am going to say it.
    shard and LB – what pride exactly? Not one shot on target!!!!

Looks like a prairie dog.

Quokka – Australian marsupial

Those films are very difficult. I like Eddie’s answers. First reaction to 2. was Oh Brother but they had beige uniforms I think

Morning all, has anyone got a few feelings on yesterday’s game for today?

Murphy’s War 😀 😀

That rant pretty much sums up how I feel about yesterday’s game. 🙂

listen Raddy, nothing is more difficult than facing a day of abuse from the Chavs. It is going to be tough today 😦

i forgot that ‘mocking is catching’

Morning all. Always look at the film pics before I check what others were putting. I went with Elephant man. I thought Cool Hand Luke as well then wasn’t sure it looked old enough and also thought about the fugitive. Didn’t think about trainspotting but seems a good shout. Microwave acting like a T.V must be some weird Sci-Fi like Videodrome. I was tempted by apocolypse now again for the last one but maybe it is more WW11 than Vietnam.

Ok, I’ve stolen some comments and put them together for a …..

…. New post …..

Come on Chas is it Cool Hand Luke, the fugitive or a.n.other?

143. Le Coq Monster says:

Hahaha………………Nice one Exile !……I can guarentee that if I do a bit of dooming you will bring up a fantastic statistical analysis !, although I`m disappointed you left out any Manshafter Std stats ! 😀
    Lots of money spent by all them others and great that they have won f##k all !
    Of course, I am a shallow supporter and although your stats are remarkable, I still want us to spend £100m on a striker. hahaha
    The thing is, Chavs and Mansour City are playthings for their owners and they probably dont care about being self sufficient as they have more money than they can ever spend and dont give a toss about the cost per trophy, whereas our club is a business and people forget that it`s there to make money first and foremost unlike the play thing clubs !
    Personally I like the thought of a play thing club that wins things and not worry about making a profit and that wont happen as long as we just have a majority shareholder !….saying that, even if Kroenke was the outright owner he wouldn`t be any different as all his other sports interests are average at best !.