Win the League? We need the ex Blue

Yes it’s the ongoing debate and question on every Arsenal fans lips, can we win the League? And if so what do we need to do it.

We have the makings of a good squad, and a pretty decent first eleven and bench, however there seems to be one thing missing, one thing that Arsene hasn’t been able to sort out for the last 5-6 seasons, and maybe it’s time we go into the lions den to get it.

One person was responsible for the demise of Chelsea earlier on in the season, but it was the other person involved that caused the players revolt, and the person we should be looking to add to our staff as soon as possible, and if it means paying a shed load of compensation to Abramovich then I’m all for it.

We need Eva!

e

Last season in the first twenty or so matches Chelsea utilised the same team virtually every game whilst we changed the squad over and over again, and if they weren’t in the team they were on the bench, the squad of 15-16 players won the League, we have a squad of 23, 20 of which could do as good a job as each other, if only we could keep them fit and available at the same time.

Before this rot of injuries set in we had one of the worlds most sought after physios, Gary Lewin, he was pinched by the FA along with the club doctor to go full time. This was a physio that got rounds of applause from Arsenal faithful as he rounded the pitch to treat the next fallen hero. Being a club with a family feel in the back room Gary’s assistant his cousin Colin was promoted.

I don’t think Colin himself is to blame, he has to keep players fit on the pitch which he seeks to do well enough. Dr Eva however managed to keep the players on the pitch and out of the sick bay. And I’m sure Colin would appreciate the hand on match days too. The benefit of a good doctor pitch side is she can diagnose and decide whether the injury should be rested immediately to prevent further damage or whether it is something that can be managed.

So to me it really is simple, sign up Dr Eva and keep our lads on the pitch and on track for the title.

Gooner in Exile

97 Responses to Win the League? We need the ex Blue

Lateral thinking Exile, I like it.

Can we say, Eva AND a £40M striker?

🙂

Nice idea Exile 🙂

I’d like Dr Eva at Arsenal if only to have another one over on the chavs – she could reacquaint herself with that nice Mr Cech.

Gary Lewin was a big loss and it did seem that our fitness/injury record went downhill after he left. We also lost our groundsman – we need to keep hold of these guys if at all possible.

Micky P.E.A is that £40m striker = quick, tall, strong, plays wide or centrally, knows where the goal is ….. remind you of anyone? 🙂

Me, Rasp?

Actually, to be fair, I was a goal hanger and refused point blank to do any unnecessary running about

Don’t get your hopes up Micky 🙂

Morning all, it’s been in my thinking for a while about Dr Eva, I like that we are a family club at heart, I know most fans can’t see that with the ownership of Kroenke etc but some faces haven’t changed in years and their offspring have also joined the club, ok this isn’t the same as everyone knowing Debbie and Sue in the box office or getting the personally signed photo from your nominated favourite player in your JG pack every year (I don’t know where all mine are 😦 ) but it still exists at the club. Our scouts and youth setups are littered with former players, but does that mean they are the best?

And getting Eva on board would present a new way of doing things, maybe it means sacrificing some of our traditions but there comes a time when it’s worth doing.

8. Shard says:

Gie

But is she the best as well? Yes, I know Chelsea’s injury record, but style of play, being protected by the referee, and just less duty of care towards the players can contribute to them being out on the field more often.

I refuse to believe that Arsene Wenger, the biggest advocate of meritocracy, wouldn’t hire the best candidates for the job simply because of tradition. Especially when the incumbents are seemingly/supposedly failing at that job.

And Wenger campaigning for better drug policing in football should also make us careful of there being a ‘Dr. Needles’ at certain clubs.

Arsenal may have had problems with their injury management, but since 2009 they have made a lot of investments in trying to address that with the use of the gps sytem, buying the stats company (also aids performance and tactics), building a new medical centre and now expanding it, bringing in new personnel, and interacting with medical professionals from various sports. I think we’ve seen an improvement. Some of our injuries and injured players are a legacy rather than current. Most of our injuries now aren’t soft tissue injuries, rather injuries through impact.

Also, I think one of the biggest aspect of hiring someone in that position is that of trust for Arsenal, and Arsene. They wouldn’t want to share the medical histories and treatments of their players with just anyone. It is probably one of the reasons they handle most of it in-house, only making exceptions for doctors and treatments their players personally know or want. Plus, they would be extremely cautious about a doctor going behind the club’s back in treating players with unapproved/banned substances/techniques This might explain some of the family culture involved.

Thanks for the article. Must rush now to go to my physiotherapy session. If someone could get me into Arsenal’s medical centre for it, I would be happy to write a report on them 🙂

9. chas mobile says:

Dippers 20 2 66
    Leicester 20 14 63
    West Ham 20 8 63
    ManUre 20 -4 62
    Crystal Palace 20 7 62

Hmmmm, I’m not trusting the Swingo if it is predicting Watford to come 2nd 😆

Haha Rasp….Watford have replaced QPR, so compared to their results they are doing tremendously well in percentage terms and hence the prediction of more points in the second half.

Perhaps I need to re run last season to see how close it was to getting it right after 20 games.

We of course are able to amass highest points total, all we have to do is match the performance of the rest of the league between now and May……easy 🙂

Oops….tough luck Spudders:

Swingo Pts Final Pts
    Chavs 99 Chavs 87
    Shitty 92 Shitty 79
    Spuds 76 Arsenal 75
    ManUre 72 ManUre 70
    Arsenal 65 Spuds 64
    Orcs 57 Dippers 62
    Southampton 56 Southampton 59
    Dippers 54 Swansea 56
  14. RC78 says:

Injuries have been a nagging problem for us in the past decade. I think it was due to the fact our players were prone to injuries and the second, our medical set-up and team were not up to the level required.

Since last year, we have a new (German) guy in charge of our preparation and fitness. Players do indeed look fitter but some of them still get injured often. I have no hope for the Flamini, Artetas and Rosickies of this world but I am really hoping that Wilshere, Wellbeck, Ramsey, Ox, Gibbs, Walcott and Koscielny will stop getting injured so often as of next year (two years to have real effect of a new physical training regime)

Anyways – I would also think that our medical testing prior to a signing need to be reviewed to ensure that we get players that are able to be on the pitch 60 games a season, if needed…

The key for us is to actually keep a group of 19 players fit at all time:

– Cech
    – Bellerin, BFG, Kos, Gabs, Monreal, Gibbs
    – Coquelin, Flamini
    – Ramsey, Wilshere
    – Ozil, Cazorla
    – Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Campbell
    – Giroud, Wellbeck

Cech – Bellerin, Kos, Monreal – Coquelin, Ramsey – Walcott, Ozil, Sanchez – Giroud

These 10 – we can’t do without so let us hope we can rely on them

Cripes GiE, your Swingo was surprisingly accurate this time last season – it got 4 out of 8 correct!! 🙂

I do expect Arsenal, city and those who shall not be mentioned to be in the top 4 at the end of the season – the 4th spot could be any one of 4 or 5.

16. RC78 says:

Now for the title – I think it is between Man City, Tottenham and us.

Tottenham does not lose many games and they have the most reliable defense so far. However, if they lose anyone from LLoris, Aldewereid, Verthongen, Dembele, Kane for a few games – they are really in trouble. For me, they can just pull the big upset off if they remain fit.

Man City has the best squad (together with Chelsea) on paper – because they have quality, strength and depth. Moreover, they have some gritty and outstanding players that know how to win the EP league: Hart – Kompany – Toure – Aguero and thay may be the X-factor.

Ourselves – we are doing well compared to other teams but are we really doing better than before? Not so sure…We have the toughest run of fixtures coming up in January and throughout the remaining season so I am not overly optimistic. I would say that it will come down to our ability to win games like against Newcastle and to avoid total collapses like in Southampton. I think that this is the year where we actually need to capitalize on struggling City, Chelsea, Utd and on yet to mature Tottenham and Liverpool…

How many points to win the league this year? I would say 86 points. This would mean for us grabbing 2.4 points over the last 18 games – feasible but not easy. However, who said that winning the least was easy? We can do it but we really have to perform consistantly – there is no more room for slip-ups as I can’t see Man City doing much wrong in the reamining fixtures.

January: we need at least 6 points
    February: we need at least 10 points
    MArch: We need at least 10 points
    April: We need at least 14 points
    May: We need at least 4 points

If we manage to bag 44 points in the remaining game, we should be very close to winning the title…

If we do not, it would mean that Man City has bagged 47 points and has a better goal-average or that Tottenham has bagged at least 50 points and Leicester at least 49…While City bagging 47 points is feasible but would be quite a feat (2.6 points per game in average), I do not see Tottenham nor Leicester earning more than 49 points so the ball is really in our court to grab these 44 points to at last land the EPL title

CYYG!

Interesting Post GiE

I’m not sure you’d be quite so keen on an ex Chavs doctor if they looked more like Dr Legg from EastEnders 🙂

I seem to recall that there were a lot of rumours about Chavski players getting a little bit of artificial assistance in the first half of last season… would we want a doc associated with a club where such rumours were raised?

RC78 in away you have hit the nail on the head….due to the starts of everyone there is all to play for, and 80+ points would probably secure the title, as very few teams look capable of scoring 2.6 pts per game, that would be some run in. The kind of run Dippers went on a couple of seasons ago in fact. But no one else has a Suarez either although Aguero can be pretty damn good as can our little Chilean.

Most importantly for me is that we have the best assist maker in the league, if Mesut keeps creating chances law of averages says we have to score eventually, and as long as we are solid at the other end of the pitch I think we have as good a chance as everyone else, as good as City’s and better than Spuds and Manure.

For me the crux will be how we cope with extra games. And for that we need fit players, so we need Eva or some of the new physicians extra work to pay off on the pitch.

Rocky it is indeed a fair point….and we know Arsene doesn’t agree with painkilling injections and the like.

20. Velly interesting GIE… actually I’ve wanted Eva in our camp for a long time, long before she was sacked by the Chavs. Only problem would be the rampant French Ponce… it would be like a fly on shite.

Have we bought anyone yet?

21. RC78

To get 44 points we need to lose less than 3 games in the next 18… I don’t think that’s possible…

22. Last season in the last 19 games we had a good run, 13 wins and 3 draws… that got us 42 points… add that to the 39 points before the Newcastle game and we’ll have 81 points at the end… that could be enough to win the title if no other team, City, Spervs or Leicester do better. Considering we have to play all three… work it out, it’s gonna be close.

Have we bought anyone yet?

NB, we’ve bought Elneny, the club are just sorting the work permit issues and then it will be announced 🙂

24. Sd news about John Roberts… but 69 ain’t a bad age to peg it!

So we’ve definately got the Morrocan… let’s hope he’s a Mahrez and not a Chamach ha ha

The Moroccan is Egyptian and the ‘definitely’ is only according to the gospel of St Rasp 😀

… but I have to say that my transfer BS sensor is pretty accurate and this one looks like a goer. He’s just what we need at this time and a trade off of a 23 year old international against Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky (all leaving at the end of the season) looks like very good business to me.

27. I won’t hold my breath then 🙂

28. RC78 says:

Elneny is highly regarded, mostly for his technical skills, his ability to score from a distance and good work-rate (engine) – he can win the ball too.

However, he plays -for now- more like a Ramsey than a Makelele…AW thinks he can mould him into a proper DM and turn him into our Busquest so let us hope he can do that very quickly…

In any case – he s replacing Arteta and that is a good news.

Emboloo from Basel is also on our radar. He plays striker.

That said – If we manage to land Lukaku this summer, it would be a good piece of business even at 30 Mln

29. RC78 says:

44 points will be hard but I think this would secure the league for sure. I think with 42, we are at still ok but at 41, it would be too close so I am hoping for a 44 🙂

Wow, had no idea the Swingo was so accurate

Part of the reason I loved the little dear so much, was that it predicted us bottom of the conference, and that sat so nicely with my doomist agenda

Still, I can forgive, so bring back the swinger

RC

You do sound very clued up on European football, so out of interest and money aside, who would be the most effective for Arsenal, Lukaku or Aubameyang, in your opinion?

Hey, hey, the swingometer is back.
    Stoke finishing 8 points ahead of Leicester – hmmmmmmmm!

I wouldn’t celebrate if I were you chas … it’s a swine of a widget to squeeze into the sidebar 🙂

Not being rude or nothink Rasp, but give me one minute and a rubber, and I’ll make space for The Swinger 🙂

Yep, but thinking of all the amusement that ensues will counteract any widgeting issues. 🙂

GIE
    Can you explain it to us again?
    How is there going to be a 19 point swing from Leicester to Stoke?

😆 Micky, you’re inviting the innuendo merchants to latch on to that one …..

“GIE, Can you explain it to us again?” is my all time favourite line on AA 🙂

Oh, Chas or Rasp

If you see that smart arse Erik lying about somewhere, tell him I can do G and D Major scales already, so he can smoke that!

Swingo widget is up. 🙂

Micky
    Is there a youtube video yet?

Firstly, thank you GIE for an interesting post. I think she would make a fine addition to the bench.

The swingometer has confused me from day one but hippies care little for stats – our “spice” consumption affects logic

You mean Chary style. Great idea Chas

Get Dr Eva.

As Micky said that is a remarkable piece of lateral thinking.

The interesting point that cannot be denied is that Chelsea did manage to go pretty much the whole season with practically the same eleven, even more remarkable was that Terry played in almost every game.

I daren’t say it was luck or all hell will break loose 🙂

chas 😀 😀

the Didit family must be delighted

That’s not the swingo widget, it had all fancy colours etc 🙂

46. That swingo bollo is a load of bollo… I dont understand a thing… and so is Didits viola playing… if it takes ten years to get to learn how to play the thing, his mid-life crises will be over. Better to by a Ferrari now and enjoy 🙂

Rasp
    Did the fancy colours make it more intelligible? 🙂

48. Has Didn’t got the same hair style??

So Rafa sacked, that really is a money for old rope roundabout. They will probably go and re-sign Maurinho for yet another fortune.

But hang on, they could be thinking about Guardiola, although, that is a bit like Jerry Adams going to work for David Cameron but stranger things have happened I suppose.

This is a fair approximation of DidIt’s hair…..

Face it gentlemen, you are all secretly fantasising that about an invite to a swinging party. I am afraid the closest you will get to a swing is when Watfords Odion Ighalo bangs a couple. Of goals that is, to secure the Hornets second place.

There was this girl I was seeing a few years back who I convinced myself was up to such things. She was an admirer of Jeremy Thorpe’s Liberal ideology, so I thought she must be up for a bit of random sex with those who kept there socks on

One night she was been very cagey, saying we were going to a party, but not telling me anything about it? As we approached the front door my excitement grew, but upon entering the living room we were met by some bald bloke and kid playing twister and about five other couples sitting on the sofas admiring the kids dexterity and laughing hilariously as the bald man tied himself up in knots.

My disappointment soon turned to anger as this snooty kid, who I believed was either suffering from some weird form of autism or just a complete shit, challenged me to a game of twister

Oh go on Terry, play with little Charlie, they cried. “Yeah, go on ugly face, play me at twister. Do you like train sets?”

I decided to take the young Dustin Hoffman up on his offer. Teach him a lesson for exposing Tom Cruise’s acting skills.

Unfortunately things did not go to plan. Just as I prepared to accidently kick young Dustin in the face, I split my groin, yelling out “F*ucks sake, I came here hoping to split my groin but not bloody well like this”.

All this while Rain Boy loomed over me “That will teach you ugly face. Do you like Meccano?”

Thanks GIE

I would certainly like Eva to join us. Not that I think it will do us any good on the medical front, just to wind up Moronio. Hopefully when Moronio returns from his failure, he will spot a mirror and in the excitement slip over and lose touch with reality. As he begs for help, Eva looms over him “That will teach you ugly face. Do you like One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest?”

Got that wrong they have appointed Zidane.

How do you think of this stuff Terry?

Chas it’s really not that hard to work out 🙂

GIE
    It’s the ‘take away the number you first thought of” step that always catches Kelsey out. 🙂

Just looked it up and Zidane has been managing Real Madrid reserves. The fans will love that appointment.

57. LB… Terry doesn’t think, it comes straight from his groin 🙂

Yes, but the version Chas has put up, doesn’t have all the extra states that the original had 🙂

Having said that, I prefer the simplified version

60. Lovely jubbly… get ya leg over

61. Rasp @17:15… before Chas @7:01 and Chas @7:06 and before NB @7:10

So that wa swhy it was so confusing, didn’t have all the extra stats 🙂

Chas
    Shampoo Ads confuse Kelsey, and that’s his specialist subject

Re the viola vid. Week 4! And he says he’s played guitar and bass for years!!
    I’m better after 4 days

Transplant ha ha ha 🙂

“Arsenal have agreed to scrap Serge Gnabry’s loan deal at West Bromwich Albion and exercised a recall option.”

Seems like Serge is coming back…………………..

I really like Wenger’s Darwinian approach to team selection, Gnabry could usurp Oxlaide-Chamberlain by the end of the season and become more important in the same way that Bellerin over took Debouchy to make the RB position his own.

There is going to be a break through by the end of the season but it is still not clear who it is going to be.

Micky, is it ok to use your post tomorrow?

Hello chaps and chapesses. Been away for a bit. Just back from my travels overseas today and lo and behold a great post from GIE right up a camel wormers street.

I personally don’t think it is quite that easy to look at Chav’s injury record when Eva was there and then think that her appointment will get us to that point as well. I echo Shards point in the question of is she the best anyway regardless of the Chav’s record on injuries, or could there be a number of other factors that have aided Chav’s in this area?

I personally feel there are likely 2-3 other factors outside of the individual personnel that have been hampering us on the injury side compared to other sides. The club is such a closed book on the subject that we can’t fully know this.

Chad the conditioning coach was supposed to be the great thing but we have still suffered many unnecessary injuries this season. Maybe it will still improve under his tutelage.

It must also be recognised that a club like Arsenal has a multitude of medically related professionals all coming together to get the right blend. This raises other questions for me GIE, in which professional has the best skill set for each role within the club?

If for instance we are talking about pitch side and mid game assessment of injuries then is a medical doctor more qualified than the physiotherapist? Is Eva actually more qualified and experienced than Colin Lewin in this particular role to the extent she can provide assessment and advice to a level beyond Lewin and therefore reduce our injuries?

Doctors, for me, traditionally only enter during games if a more life threatening situation is occuring either head injury related or heart related. Even then some football physios (maybe like Gary Lewin) are trained to paramedic levels of competence to deal with a situation like this.

For me the assertion that Eva could reduce our injuries is too simplified and there are too many other factors involved. I do feel Eva has likely benefited from other factors at Chelsea in overseeing a good injury record.

Would happily bring Gnabry back under 21 so no impact on other transfers and puts us in a stronger position while we wait for the return of others.

Could be useful in FA Cup too.

69. RC78 says:

Micky – They are both very different players. If we get Lukaku, we would have to put Giroud on the bench or sell him.

If we get Aubemayang, we can get rid of Campbell…

Both are excellent players. They way we are playing right now, maybe it is better to get Lukaku who s also used to the EPL…That said – Sanchez – Giroud – Aubemayang up front would be quite a treat to watch given that Ozil will be able to pick Aube for fun…

Damn – tough question and decision.

If we are building our team around Ozil, then Aubemayqng is the best option and he would be really our main scorer.

If we are building a team relying on more balanced goals from the squad and on the trio – Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey, then Lukaku would be my choice

In any case – if one of them joins us, we will all be rejoicing.

70. Feck… Bananarama and the Sex Pisto;s at 7am… too much chas 🙂

I bet Micky comes on whinging about Gnabry being like a new signing any minute. 🙂

Well I only hope Gnabry is back to be sold

If not, Arsene is trying to wind me up

Morning Chas 🙂

Ah, there you are. 🙂

Morning, NB

Must go

Salon?

RC

Thanks for answer. I like you’re thinking.

76. Love the cartoon of the wire smile 🙂

77. Have we bought anyone yet… apart from the Egyptian?

78. Chas has got me on to music now… didn’t I just love this

79. Right, I’ve just got to go to my blog and post some smut, to keep the punters happy 🙂

Rasp
    If you must 🙂
    Ok, off for a few hours.
    Serge Gnabry 🙄

81. chas mobile says:

I’m on my last week of 6 weeks winter marking. Salon next week.

82. Apparently the Egyptian is flyingb into London today to sign a contract 🙂 in other news, Wenger is trying to sign Troy Deeney from Watford… I’d say get Igloo instead, much better player.

Winter marking? Sounds a little subversive. I imagine chas going around his local area peeing on trees

NB Enjoyed the Cars song.

84. Does Winter marking mean that Chas puts his mark on young schoolboys? 🙂

Troy Deeney …. nah, I can’t see that at all …… paper talk 🙂

86. Well Rasp …. it’s definately not my BS sensor 🙂

New post ……..

…. I hope you don’t mind Micky, I changed the headline so you can get more abuse 🙂

NB, I’d say signing TD is about 10% likely …… Elneny is now 80% likely 🙂