A Year on from ShowerGate

How times have changed since we last visited The Saints. We lost 2-0 with Chesney making a couple of poor decisions which led to Marlboro-Gate and the young Pole being sent to Rome (I can think of worse punishments).

Can you imagine our current glovesman  behaving like TPIG? Cech started his Arsenal career with a poor game at home to WHU, 3 months later and the man is being spoken of in the same breath as David Seaman, who is without question the best AFC gloveman of my lifetime (sorry Bob Wilson).

Unknown

If we win the title – sorry – when we win the title Cech will have been a major contributor; Ozil and Sanchez may be the obvious choice for our most important player but Cech is hugely influential, just think how we did in the CL and COC without him.

Important match tonight; it is wonderful beating MC but the Xmas rush would be ruined if we drop points. A draw is barely the bare minimum.

Our lads must be rested, confident and relaxed – they have been out playing Santa at local hospitals and sitting playing Xbox on their plush leather settees; they should be ready for a battle today.

And it is sure to be a battle because S’ton are in trouble‚ playing poorly, losing regularly and unable to score. I expect Koeman to pack the midfield, fill out the flanks and sit his team very deep. Nothing new when teams play Arsenal but not what we expect from the usual free-flowing football he promotes.

Wanyama: Should we sign him in January? S’ton are saying that no-one is leaving but money talks. My opinion is that he is a fine destructive MF but hasn’t the passing skills to improve our team

Amazing to think of the talent sold by S’ton over the past few years. Theo, Ox, Chambers, MonkeyBoy, Lovgren, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Luke Shaw, Lallana etc etc

As to our Brave Lads, the team will surely be the same as beat MC, much has been talked about rotation and the need to rest players but with the  home games with Bournemouth and Newcastle to come  AW can afford to wait.

We are learning to win games with less possession, today we shall surely have the majority of the ball and need to find different solutions, with the Ozil/Ramsey axis we are more creative and not so reliant upon tricky/tacky when facing PTB tactics.

Really looking forward to tonight.

COYRRG

207 Responses to A Year on from ShowerGate

Cheers, BR.

Much depends on the attitude of the boys today.
    I’ve just started reading Invincible by Amy Lawrence that came in the Members pack. They were talking about how the 0-0 away at Old Trafford really seemed to draw the players together and realise they could get good results if they all pulled in the same direction.

Cech does seem to have had this kind of effect on his own. Szcz, though passionate, still strikes me as thinking of himself first.

As you say, beating City is a magnificent springboard but if we turn up at St Mary’s just expecting them to roll over, we could stumble.

I’m always 50% confident for every game regardless of opposition, venue, so today is no different.

Up The Arse – come on boys, show us your real mettle. 🙂

Ooo – orcs have started well.

Yipee, football.

Excellent read BR.

I am 68% positive that we will win.

Mancs are getting a spanking.

Do you think LVG will blame the kit?

Great PM thanks Raddy, I am nervous about this game, we are about to enter a period of 3 games we should win – always dangerous 🙂

ha ha ha 🙂 Depay’s header is priceless 🙂

thanks for the PM Raddy

7. wally says:

I’m loving it. All of it. They look to be playing to their ability on a consistent basis this year. Consistency, it’s all the difference isn’t it.

Manure lose! They look to be going backwards.

Tasty match Leicester v pool.

Good test today for us. A big win Monday, got to maintain the momentum, maintain the steel, no let downs.

coyg, get stuck in.

Will Villa let Garde continue? AV look clueless.

At half-time no surprises

I’m wondering if there’s a ‘tampering with the spot’ theme going on here.

shit! Leicester lost, unbelievable

time we go top of the tree 🙂

Nice one BR

Last time we had a run of three “winnable” games we didn’t shower ourselves in glory so I hope there’s no complacency today.

With Leicester slipping up, Mancs losing, Chavs dropping points we really need to take advantage.

Hate to say it, but Spuds are gaining some real momentum…

Cmon, Rocky, they were playing the ‘blind school’*.

The chap on Final Score was making out the spuds had produced ‘performance of the day’. Those spuddies are sure coming out of the woodwork.

*Well, that’s the phrase my old man used to use when I came home from playing for the school and we’d actually won..
    ‘Were you playing the …………?’. 🙂

Having said that, he was very supportive throughout but still liked to prepare his children for what life is really like.

Anyway, should be some team news in 30 minutes. 🙂

Besides, it’s always one of life’s joys when the spuddies ‘gain some momentum’.

It makes their plummet that much more enjoyable.

Neither the Newc v Everton game nor the giant-sized litter tray is distracting me from the upcoming fixture. 🙂

gorgeous – your old man did well. He produced sons who are confident and happy enough to wear gold mini shorts in public.

True Eddie. It takes big cojones to go out in public wearing gold mini shorts.

Rocky. You are right. WBA have not won any of their last 5 games since we got beaten at the Hawthorns – though it was a perfect storm of bad luck that night.

Eddie
    You are confusing ‘well brought up’ with ‘not giving a sh*t’. 🙂

p.s. Correction……….produced ‘a son’ confident and happy enough to wear gold mini shorts in public

I’ve no real idea what he said to Ant to produce that kind of gold lamé reaction…

As predicted in the PM;

Good to see Jefff and Iwobi getting pine time

‘don’t give a shit’ is much healthier than ‘well brought up’ anyday

now lads – what did Eddie tell you about Maureen going to ManU?

Don’t tell me you think you’ve predicted one thing correct out of one hundred erroneous guesses, Eddie? Well done, indeed.

My old man’s teaching still at work. Don’t be fooled if you occasionally get something right, even Michael Owen guesses correctly every now and then. 🙂

Excellent, our strongest 11 to start and the opportunity to be TOTL at the start of 2016 ……. we can do it 🙂 🙂 🙂

Just checked the results….oh bigger we really are favourites now.

Foot on the gas today boys, although the south coast hasn’t been a happy hunting ground recently.

Evening all

BR
    Absolutely loving “19th Century Erik” with the truly wonderful “glovesman”
    Bravo, Old Chap 🙂

30. Fantastic team 😃 I’m having to be a seriously good grown up and record the game for later 😦 ……….. leaves with polished halo intact.

Enjoy the game everyone, be back later xx

I’m on laptop at home, but there’s serious strain being put on the weak Didit household internet connection, so fingers crossed.

A steady start but we haven’t found our rhythm yet. The Saints can’t press this hard for 90 minutes

What a ball from Aaron
    Massive fan of the Hollywood pass me
    Evening Crystals 🙂

Ok, well it was a great strike, but we are being too casual. Luckily they have scored early on, we need to ramp it up a level and work harder.

Crikey, fantastic goal
    Good news, a high scoring game
    Goodie goodie
    5-4 🙂

Not the start I was hoping for

I hate late kick offs, we often slip up. Right 1 all by half time would be nice please.

Having said that, the main thing is to keep our composure and not concede a second.

amazing swerve on that shot.Plenty of time left.

“massive fan of the Hollywood pass me” 😉

D ‘ you know what? I was thinking earlier on today that typical arsenal fail to capitalise on opportunities

Good to see Kos standing strong

Raddy you aren’t allowed to say that,it’s one of my lines.
    Whole teeam are a bit too layed back and need to step up a gear.Pers looks tipsy.

No raddy, but he’s on the pitch

Our corners have been poor so far, we need to make more of our opportunities.

Love the advertising
    “Watch Monday night. Big game. Utd v Chelsea

Errr, not really “big” is it

Poor….

Boooooo
    Not enough goals
    From us

The saints are running the midfield. They’ve got their tactics spot on, we need to change something otherwise the second half will be more of the same.

Strange half.

We are not playing too badly yet could easily be 3 down. If OG missed the chances Long has we would be furious.

Worryingly, we have not created a single clear chance. Let us hope things improve.

Could be worse – I could be upstairs with Mrs Raddy watching Downton Abbey

49. Shard says:

The sort of game where Santi, or even ajaxk or Rosicky could be useful in creating some space in midfield. They’ve choked off the middle, and we’re not playing the passing game well enough to pull them out of position.

Hoping we equalise early in the second half.

50. Shard says:

ajaxk = Jack

In the post I questioned whether we should buy Wanyama, on the evidence of that half the answer is a resounding Yes

Raddy
    Mrs D is watching the same thing on iplayer
    I’m eating a box of Charbonel and Walker rose and violet creams.
    And I thought you were the ponce 🙂

53. Shard says:

I think I would switch to a 442 with Ozil wide left and Theo up front. Ozil needs to find space to affect the game, and the middle is well blocked off right now. From wide he can find Theo and Joel’s runs or cross to Giroud.

It’ll probably mean the full backs have to stay back though.

Didit. Those are my very favourite chocolates – you show, once again, what fine taste you have.

If I keep complimenting you, can you send me a box or three?

Games getting physical, we must keep cool and concentrated

One layer in place of one fish?

Opps 2-0

That’s it. 2-3-5

Well that has blown it – why do we always lose our bottle when we get the chance to get an edge at the top?

Bum. Long way back from here.

It’s those bloody gold hotpants that has cursed us 😉

61. Oh dear, not going well 😦

Sadly, the sight of the Ox warming up does not give me the tingles

Hope I’m wrong

Micky. Definitely

Can I be the first to say No Peaches 🙂

Done 🙂

Let’s hope Ox can add some vim. We are completely toothless.

Credit Southampton who have comprehensively outplayed us in every area of the pitch.

68. fatgingergooner says:

Pathetic

Me too, we have been completely outplayed and our defence is practically non existent. Good night from me as well.

Let’s face it, we’re not in the mood.
    Get Mesut off, and let’s go home.

I agree – no need to risk Ozil. Hook him

72. Must’ve forgotten the Weetabix this morning. A 1-0 loss could be unlucky but a 3-0 loss is a bit of a shambles 😦

So they’ve made 3 subs and we haven’t made any ?

Isn’t it usually the team that’s getting its arse kicked that makes the subs?

Our failure to change anything round at half time is the biggest disappointment 😦

76. Blown a big hole in our goal difference too. 1-0 loss would have been enough 😦

Even poorer …..

I don’t think either our manager or our players were trying very hard

They smashed us in midfield – Is Wanyama still not good enough for us?

Well, that put us in our place.

Chas
    I suggest Pretendy Version 2.0
    It never happened

I’ll start by saying that as much as last Monday was all about a team performance, tonight the same eleven players didn’t look like they knew each other. Terrible. And the first reason we lost.

But I am afraid the second reason to our undoing rests on young Aaron, as good as he was against City, he did what Arsene has accused him of doing in the past, forgot about his basic responsibilities.

Too often what the rare times we had possession he was already trying to find space in the final third, against City his runs were late from deep, having got the ball moving, tonight he left the full backs, BFG and Flamini to try and do that alone, ome more option would have helped us keep the ball, one more body would have been available to offer some defensive resistance. He wasn’t there, our midfield didn’t work.

That to me are the two reasons we lost that game.

There was no link, we had five players trying to defend and five trying to attack.

If we take the lessons all well and good, and I hope Arsene is putting some home truths in the dressing room right now.

Rasp we didn’t have a midfield….see above. And no he is isn’t.

84. Shard says:

There was a touch of controversy about their first 3 goals, with the second being the most egregious. But, where was our fight? I don’t think the referee had a good game, but we allowed ourselves to be completely thrown off our game.

Oddly enough, we started well I thought. Not great, but we looked like we were settled in and ready to play a controlled game. Once that freak/wonder goal went in we simply showed no ability to get back in the game.

Our centre was weak. Flamini seemed absent, kos and per both had poor games, and even Cech was poor. What is it? Wenger warned caution again and again before this game. Even Per said we haven’t proven anything after the City win. And today apparently Walcott says that the players sense this is their season. Is it complacency? I don’t know, but this performance should make the players angry, and tired or not, we should go out to avenge this loss against Bornemouth, and build from there.

I don’t believe we lack character as a general trait. That media narrative is annoying. I would have taken a draw today. The christmas schedule is punishing, especially for a squad stretched thin. But to lose in this manner is unacceptable. We need to make this right.

Exile
    Fair comment, but given the Aaron situation was the same in both halves, why doesn’t Arsene get some of the blame for not addressing it at any point in the 90?

Personally, I reckon both our manager and players are much richer than theirs, and therefore had much better Christmas’ yesterday

Raddy calls these things hang overs

86. Shard says:

I don’t think Wanyama is good enough.

Version 2.0 uploaded and running
    Goodnight and don’t panic

Oh dear.

Some awful decisions by the officials (including at least two that led directly to goals) but to blame the refereeing would be to clutch at straws.

Every player on our team was poor today, as was the manager.

I won’t say we can’t win the league, but that was not a performance from a team that has aspirations of the title. Very disappointing.

But Monday’s another game and three points will settle the horses…

89. Shard says:

Btw, what is up with the Ox. He’s gone totally off form this season. Looks a far cry from the player we were all raving about. He will probably get a start in one of the next few games and needs to make the most of it, but surely he must be close to falling further in the pecking order behind Iwobi.

Chambers has some learning to do, but it seems he has a future in central midfield.

Today might have been a good time to start with Gabriel over Per. Shane Long always seems to give us problems. Gabriel is quicker, and if nothing else, is always up for a fight-in a good way.

90. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    An absolute hiding, and we deserved it, no doubt about that.
    Yes the build up to the first goal was offside the second goal was a foul, and the third goal was not a corner. 3 controversial decisions certainly makes you feel that corruption is rife in the premier league as well as FIFA and EuFA.

Mertsacker has always been an accident waiting to happen, That accident happened all night. Southampton it has to be said, where they sit in the league makes you smile when you see how they destroyed us so easily, when bigger and better clubs have struggled against us, only goes to prove that 3 bad decisions on the trot can defeat any team.

On the night Arsenal were pittyful, no shots on target, out muscled out played and showed on the night no fight. I have to say, i felt embarrassed how outplayed we was, and how easily beaten our one and only super summer buy was beaten between the posts, how a superstar midfielder was stopped from playing, and how a physical game plan had Our side rushing with fear. Theo as usual was not seen all night , but he wasn’t on his own, many was looking for a safe haven, and some found one, back on the bench.

Many have been saying that this is our season, i really feel if you want to know this seasons champions, you will have to ask the corrupt FA.

Yes, i have the hump

I hate football, I am never watching again…………ever.

92. Hi Shard I’ve been wondering about The Ox too. It must be frustrating for him, he had such a great pre-season and since then …… nothing!!

93. LB 🙂 no match report from you then 😉

It’s ok I think Sir A went to the game.

Only winning the lottery could cheer me up now – and even that is debatable 😦

95. Several people on Twitter making the same comment.

We didn’t win the league by beating Man City so we haven’t lost it today by losing to Southampton

Can anyone tell what Arsene said in his post match interview?

I hope it was an apology to all the travelling fans

98. stevepalmer1 says:

That we was outplayed out fought and had some bad luck with decisions, or words to that effect.

The luck excuse is nonsense but at least the rest is honest. He needs to take a look in the mirror and ask himself why the players weren’t up for the game and why he couldn’t do anything to counteract Southampton’s stranglehold on the midfield.

100. Aaron says:

Arsenal never fail to flatter!
    Press up high, limit our passing from the back, foul or disrupt our rhythm in our build up, park the bus if you go up 1-0: and you now have a winning way to play against Arsenal. moaninho has this formula down to perfection.
    Grrrrrr…
    Time to get another way around teams that kick Arsenal off the field. At least just play for a draw for goodness sake, no reason to always throw the game away.
    Need a DM yesterday…

101. stevepalmer1 says:

I feel we have to look further, How does a club who win the league one season plummet to the bottom of the table in the next first half of the next season. Managers are hounded till they are sacked, Clubs who fight relegation one season then lead the premier league at the halfway point of the next season.

Premier league team football is usually predictable by the talent they possess, this season its turned on its head. Is this just a coincidence or is the results being doctored.

I have watched football for more years than i care to remember, and i have never seen so many strange results. Many will say your talking rubbish Palmer, but it has never looked so corrupt to me.

102. Shard says:

Steve

I think that for many years the top teams were helped stay on top, rather than their not doing well being a sign of corruption.

Although the standard of refereeing is still very poor in the league, I see less identifiable patterns in any irregular decisions.

There are of course other types of corruption which are possible behind the scenes. Which is somethig of an exercise in speculation. Not that that makes it wrong.

103. Shard says:

Arsene may not have agreed with me, but at least my suggestion at half time to put Ozil on the left and Walcott through the centre was backed up by Glen Hoddle. 🙂

104. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Shard, Of course i cannot say for sure, but guys like me and you watch football, guys who have played have followed and inspect every game.

I am no way an expert but i surely know that what is happening is not the norm. Very seldom do we hear of players complaining about officials and happenings in games, only the most blatent happenings brought to the public’s attentions ever get investigated, But if i were a player earning the wages they earn, would i rattle the tree, Just one mans opinion.

105. Shard says:

Steve

I agree with you. They wouldn’t, and neither would the clubs. Nor for that matter would the media. They all gain from the status quo.
    However, my point was that despite the ‘odd’ results, this season there has been less evidence of wrongdoing than in years past, when certain teams were artificially propped up to stay on top.

106. stevepalmer1 says:

Wouldn’t disagree with that, Off to bed, nice chatting with ya 🙂

107. Shard says:

Goodnight 🙂

108. Fatgingergooner says:

A very worrying performance when we don’t have enough players to rotate for the next game. We just have to hope that the teams we play next don’t get as many decisions and are not as ruthless, or as good as Southampton.

109. Herb's Army says:

I hope everyone on AA enjoyed a wonderful Christmas.
    What is it about teams in red and white stripes???
    Stoke beat us 5-0 at the Victoria Ground in 1970/71, so hopefully it is an omen that the seasons end will bring the same glory as it did back then.
    The obvious difference for me was that Ronald Koeman made four changes from Southampton’s last game, where as we fielded the same team for the fourth game running.
    Southampton exposed our lack of quality depth, and the inability to freshen the side up.
    Four players is over a third of the team dynamics, and these players were hungry to prove a point to their manager.
    Arsenal meanwhile were riding the crest after the huge result over City last Monday.
    But in the end it was a hard-fought victory over City, the second half in particular. It was similar to the Bayern game at home, in that we got away with it. Had De Bruyne not been so selfish and crossed for Silva at 0-0, the whole nature of the game would have changed and played out differently.
    Complacency was behind this humbling defeat. Physically and mentally tired players desperately in need of rest and rotation, but having to drain every last ounce of energy because there are no alternatives. And they have to go again in two days against the ultimate banana-skin, Bournemouth, and their first ever visit to the Emirates, riding a wave of their own after beating United and Chelsea.
    For all the scintillating football we are occasionally offered, the squad management is atrocious. It’s incredible that a club Southampton’s size, has a considerably stronger substitutes bench than Arsenal, not to mention a little embarrassing.
    On the plus side, it might not be that damaging.
    We haven’t lost ground, City and Tottenham caught up a little, but if we do beat Bournemouth, and City win at Leicester on Tuesday, we’ll go into the home game against Newcastle top of the table, and top at the start of 2016.
    We simply need to learn the lessons that these defeats offer us.
    If we do that, the PL title is there for us to bring home.

110. Good morning all

I’ve been busy this morning and the GunnersoreArse Post is up already…. I wanted to get it over and done with so I can get on with my day without the result dominating my thoughts and Before the AA match report …. pop in and have a read…. it’s not very LONG ha ha

Eight hours in the car today, then we get busy with me viola, and don’t care what Erik thinks, he’s not a serious musician like me.

One comment from me this morning should be enough to prove I’m not weak.
    🙂

If Wanyama and Flamini had swapped sides before the game, would the result have been any different?
    I doubt it.
    They wanted it more all over the pitch.
    That Henryesque worldie from the full back came out of the blue removing the magic carpet we’d been floating on.
    2nd goal, ludicrous that a player can benefit from tripping his marker.
    3rd goal, superb delivery from a ghost corner.
    No way back, could have been 5 or 6.
    I hate it when we make a shite player like Long look good. He can now sink back into his usual mediocrity now that he’s ruined my Boxing day.
    Not our day – move on.
    Pretendie version 2 operational – tick. 🙂

Morning chas, let’s not get obsessed or sidetracked by the Wanyama question, the main reason we lost is exactly as you said, they wanted it more and were better prepared for the game.

Ha ha, can’t remember who I described as weak and why

I think my “we’re richer than you, therefore pampered and don’t do Boxing Day work” is still the best reason for a match that never happened.

Me: not bothered in the slightest. Thump six past Bournemouth, top of the league, and goal diff. restored.

Rather than Southampton exposing our lack of quality of depth I think it exposed that:

Wilshere, Santi, Coquelin, Welbeck, Sanchez, Rosicky, Arteta are all out injured.

The worry as we negotiated the early season sick bay (the above less Alexis, Santi, Coq but add Ox, Theo, Rambo) was that we had to pray they stayed fit and were not doing themselves injuries by playing so many games themselves. Only Alexis has a muscular injury, the other two picked up knocks that are going to keep them out long term.

We will need to freshen for Monday undoubtedly, Ox in for Campbell, Gibbs for Nacho. And maybe a centre half needs a game break.

By the way, I could find reasons to criticise us on two of the first three goals, before Moss gets involved or not, the second goal coming from an atrocious pass in midfield to no one.

Chas
    If you don’t get a cat vid up pronto, this morning is going to descend into footbally talk chaos and mayhem

Arsenal’s Xmas week………..

it wouldn’t be Arsenal if we started well, were consistently good throughout the season and won the league hands down

I was at the races several years ago, Bob Wilson was there and was asked about our CL chances. He said then – look, we are the Arsenal, we don’t do things the easy way.

Version 2 pretendies works perfectly for me.

Phew, normality 🙂

121. No Rasp…. they didn’t want it more… they Wanyama it more 🙂

122. Cat vids good…. footbally bollo no good. Until we get the match report anyway

Match report? What match? 🙂

Ok, saddling up, and away

nb – what do you expect from the match report? a different result ffs

125. ha ha Eddie…. perhaps, or at least some positives from someone who was at the match

Been raining here for almost 72 hours. Going out today to buy a quantity of wood, some nails and a sail.

A scccer-less Sunday seems to be a fine day to build an ark

nb – I’d imagine it was even worse for the away fans

BR – set sail south, England flooded too

I wish I’d never mentioned Wanyama as I agree, he wasn’t the difference between the sides, and I’m not campaigning to sign him.

In the same way that those 11 players had comprised a very good team for the previous 3 matches, yesterday they were a shambles. We never really found our rhythm. They were all below par so no one player should be singled out.

It’s all down to the other ‘C’ word …. consistency! Do we really not know ourselves (Arsenal that is) well enough by now to have seen yesterday’s result coming?

I never publicly predict a defeat, but in private I had said that I’d be relieved if we got away with a draw because it was so ‘Arsenal’ of us to lose in that manner.

Of course we can still win the league, but as per Eddie’s BW quote – why do we have to make it so hard for ourselves?

Morning all.

We were completely knackered after the City game and because of injuries, rotation of a calibre wasn’t available.

it was a game too much.Never mind about the three goals that may or should not have been given, they were all over us and could have scored more. What’s worrying is that a journeyman like Long made our defence look extremely ordinary, and Wenger was outwitted not for the first time.Hopefully we can amend things tomorrow.
    The Ox is going backwards and Ramsey as I said before should stick to basics.Very disappointing performance all round..

Morning Kelsey, I guess you must be right and the players were tired although they had 6 days between games and a week between the one before so theoretically they should not have been tired – but I agree, there was a definite lack of energy.

I have decided Mugabe Lockdown is the only way until Tomorrow 😦

I may have to put Mugabe Lockdown in Room 101 😆

133. fatgingergooner says:

The 11 that started yesterday have played a lot of minutes recently and in some pretty tough matches (Man City and Olympiacos Spring to mind), so it’s no surprise that yesterday was a game too far. I’d like for us to bring in Gabriel, Gibbs and Ox for the next game and try to give a couple of players a breather.

I was worried about this Xmas period as I knew we would find it difficult to rotate with all the injuries. If we can squeeze out wins against Bournemouth and Newcastle though then I would consider the Xmas period a success and a big hurdle overcome. We can then get players back in time for a tough run of games in the middle of Jan.

Good thing about Xmas is there is no time for sulking. Beat Bournemouth and things look good again.

Hi FGG, it’s likely that City will beat Leicester tomorrow in which case we get a second chance to go top if we beat Bournmouth

FGG you everyone knows had Arsene rotated and the same result occurred he would have been accused of tinkering. The players had a good 5 days between games, and in all likelihood Arsene would have rotated for Bournemouth..

Everyone on the pitch looked shaky yesterday, the normally calm Cech included in that lucky to have one that would have been down to him chalked off for offside and one slip which again he was lucky not to be punished for.

That’s what gives me the biggest cause for concern, the nerves seem to set in across the team. They scored a worldy and we seemed to capitulate after the break, the second goal was the key, and it was everything we hate seeing when watching Arsenal, 6 men ahead of the ball, a loose pass and suddenly it’s 2 on 2 at the back. The trip compounded the problem, but it didn’t start there, it started in the shape we were taking in possession.

Clearly Arsenedecided to start withdrawing players at 3-0 that he knows he will need fit to get three points against Bournemouth, who will work as hard as Southampton did if not harder.

136. Le Coq Monster says:

Showergate was a breeze compared to that,,,,bring it back I say !.

I`m never going to be in this fatigue/knackered camp, they are professionals and haven`t played since Monday night….total bollox !.
    Not a bit surprised by the result as I`m used to us fcuking up from great positions since 2004, it may be a topsy turvy season, but we having to still play Spuds, Bindippers, Manshafter, Mansour, Orcs and Everton away !…..will surely not win this league even if we buy in January ! ( unless it`s Messi and Ronaldo )….too many hard games against teams we will struggle against and that’s without not being able to beat the likes of Soton, Norwich and West Brom away…..it will not happen my friends and to tell the truth, I`m more worried about the Spuds momentum, they are proving hard to beat and their pressing style is something I wished we played, they are proper title contenders imo and that is something that makes me genuinely sick to the stomach .
    I am usually a great believer in OGAAT, but if we cant win our next two at home to Bournemouth and Newcastle, then we are turning backwards and If we cant win it this mediocre season then we will never win it under the current manager and that only means one thing to do and I don’t think I have to explain that !.

137. Shard says:

It was a poor performance, but Arsenal fans are so prone to claiming the sky is falling on their heads everytime something goes wrong. I am not happy about the performance yesterday, but I’ll be worried only if we don’t bounce back from this.

Was it fatigue? Perhaps, and the referee allowed a lot of physical play which even in the English league, is not the norm these days. However, fatigue and physicality, nor the foul play, excuses such a poor performance. If I had to guess, I think we weren’t able to emotionally adjust to a change to our gameplan after that freak goal, and without Alexis, and Ozil marked and bustled out of the game, we had no one to create a moment of magic.

Per was blamed for the first goal by the commentators, but the height the ball was at, he did all he could do, and the clearance was pretty decent. But we seemed to have vacated the entire midfield. No closing down and a wonder strike. Similarly, poor defending to leave it 2 v 2 before Long tripped Kos.

Cech was flappy and nervous, and alhough we can blame poor decisions for the first 3 goals, they also had the ball in the net twice when it was correctly ruled out.

At 2-0, I think the players didn’t believe they could get back. They saw the way the tide was turning and decided to save something in the tank for games to come. This is either unacceptable or understandable depending on your outlook. If they get us wins in the next two games, I will probably accept it. Like I said, the key is bouncing back. Southampton away in the middle of the festive period was never going to be easy. Best to forget this and move on.

138. fatgingergooner says:

Just wait until Europa League starts again and we can all enjoy Spurs’ end of season collapse!

Title is between us and City, whoever is more consistent will win it. Every game is tough these days, as proven last night. Going to the wire but we definitely have a chance.

139. Hi all

Sir A must’ve decided not to go to the game that didn’t happen yesterday as I’ve not heard from him.

Good job really, wouldn’t want to have to talk about a game that never happened 😉

Only a few hours until there’s a Big Raddy pre-match.

Have a nice day 🙂

140. I’m with you fgg and we’ve had a good laugh at some of the other teams results over the last few weeks – maybe we should just snigger quietly instead of laughing out loud until we’re 10 points clear 🙂

The rumours surrounding us buying the Egyptian midfielder Elneny are gathering momentum?

…. based on what I am reading I would think the chances are 50/50

143. fatgingergooner says:

Never seen him play Rasp. Was hoping we might get Rabiot on loan from PSG until the end of the season and then buy a top class HM player then.

If we do get this lad does that mean he’s a long term replacement for Flamini and Arteta? Would be a bit disappointed if so. Wanted a world class player brought in, but then again if he does that maybe Coquelin becomes second choice which he doesn’t deserve as he’s been brilliant for us.

For once I can see Wenger buying in January. The league is there for the taking and he knows it could be his last opportunity.

Apparently he’s impressing at the moment and at only 23 he’s at the right age. The rumoured figure is something between 5 and 7.5m so he’s a ‘bargain’ if he’s as good as some think ….. but not in the Carvalho/Bender/Rabiot league yet 🙂

145. Shard says:

Based on what I’d read he seems to be more an Arteta type with good passing rather than a destroyer. He also gets forward if needed, and has been doing so, but is disciplined at staying back when told.

This seems entirely he kind of signing we’d make, and I would be happy enough with this.

I hope we also buy an attacker. I’d be happy if the rumours of Javier Hernandez were true, though I’d also be surprised.

I still think we are after Rabiot, Auclair is seldom wrong.

I still can’t get over the manor of our defeat.Whichever way you look at it 4-0 is a drubbing in this a season of surprise results I wouldn’t have been surprised if we lost but the way we shaped up and played really was a surprise.

Spurs run in includes the following away games:

Everton, Liverpool, Man City, Chavs.

So like is it can be argued they’ve also had the easier start (in terms of home games against traditional big boys) like us.

Yet they sit 4 points beneath us, and their high pressing style in the games at home racked up a massive 1 win, 3 draws, compared to our 2 wins, 2 draws.

That press is fine against traditionally smaller sides especially at home, and can work in the big games too (at home and away) however don’t take your chance (as at the Emirates) and they will run out of steam and the team that controls possession will finish the stronger (as we did at the Emirates). Be interesting to see if they press Watford tomorrow as the two up front and direct approach of Watford may be difficult for them to cope with.

We controlled that game at Vicarage road where so many others have struggled.

We need a big win tomorrow and we need to start brightly, a nervous/lacklustre start will see the crowd start to get restless.

We all know we have a very good chance to have a run at the title, we all know we need bodies back to help the squad freshness, but we need to keep our focus on the next game. And we need to stick together, players and fans. AsHerb reminded us we have suffered big defeats I. Title winning seasons, we have to keep believing.

Not around today, which is just as well, as you are talking about something I wasn’t aware ever happened 🙂

Did see Erik moaning about 72 hours of rain!!!
    Having just driven through eight hours of the stuff, and witnessed the effects of months upon months of wetness, I have one word for his pathetic 72 hours.
    Drought.

’till dawn

Allegedly Abonglahor is going to be allowed to leave Villa in January, can’t help thinking he would be a useful addition to the squad with Welly out for the vast majority of the campaign.

Would be a useful body to bring on out wide and up top, has always had pace and is in my view a tidy finisher.

His alleigance with to his hometown club has always been solid, but if they were showing him the exit door he may be tempted.

150. Le Coq Monster says:

Abonglahor looks like he is carrying more timber than Jewsons……he would definitely bring some weight to the bench !.

Trust Arsene to be buying someone who until the last few days I`d never heard of……is he one of the Benders ?…..is he Wanyama ?……is he Calvalho ?…..is he Busguets ?……is he Kelsey`s Rabiot out of the hat ?……is he any good ?…….is he going to win us the league….hahaha….is he cheap ?….yes !
    Who is he ?…..well, there`s one journalist who usually doesn`t open his trap unless he knows something, so take it as a serious possibility !.

151. Le Coq Monster says:

Oh !……and Jack Wheelchair has had a setback and wont be back until at least this February !…………so we might see him in August !

You want more good news ?………………….if we don’t beat Bournemouth tomorrow we will officially be classed as shit !…..all right, it wont be official as in say Cameron declaring it out side number Ten, but I will be a believer !…………..the most MWG since the last one ( yesterday ) hahaha

I don’t like the “needs work permit” bit, one would imagine far easier to get in Switzerland than UK.

153. Shard says:

GIE

Simple solution. Pay 10m instead of 5, and the work permit is automatic. Also improve mood of fans who think he’s not expensive enough 🙂

That would be me Shard 🙂

Although even then £10M??

Since when is Egypt a breeding ground for world class holding midfielders?

Is it true that a work permit becomes automatic if the player has a higher price tag?

Though, this makes perfect sense in our world if I think about it.

Anyway, that David Ornstein is a complete and utter self-publicising onanist.

Gathering transfer rumours….

The C Word

I have just read the new Terms and Conditions tag

As someone who is neither a founder nor admin, but merely one who clearly chooses this site over others, may I lob in my thoughts.

One thing more than any other guides my conduct, common sense. I have overstepped the mark on occasion, but I try and draw my own line is drawn if I sense I’m pissing off those that put the time in to make this site what it is. It’s a manners/common courtesy kinda thing. Like don’t wear muddy shoes in someone else’s house and so on, as ultimately they’ll get cheesed off with clearing up my mess and won’t want me back. Worse than that, if I repeatedly sneak in through the back door and continue to make mess, they may get so fed up, because clearing up after me is not what they signed up for, they may close the house down altogether.

For my part, I have removed one unsavoury word from my limited vocab, and will always remember that if I like it here and continue to choose this space, it is others who make it possible for us all.

I am absolutely not wanting to start a debate, especially when I do not feel one is necessary.

It’s clean shoes for me, although it’s entirely not my fault if I occasionally find something nasty attached to the soles. Sometimes it’s dark out there, and you can’t see what you’re stepping on 🙂 

Ah ha Chas, morning
    I reckon growing up in Egypt, and charging around all those rocky plains would at least give a young chap strong ankles

161. Nice comment Micky… a debate isn’t really neccessary but there were a couple of issues that needed airing and Admin have dealt with it… not a problem and I respect this blog enough not to rock the boat, I can do that on my blog ha ha

Today’s game may be my first ever MWG.
    That thought certainly adds some extra spice 🙂

Are you going, and if so, does left over turkey make an appearance

163. Morning all…. it’s matchday again already so soon 🙂

Big win needed today… we could still be top at the end of todays proceedings. So who’s this Morrocan block who needs a work permit… could he be another Mahrez? or another Chamach? or another Joel Campbell out on loan for 3 seasons?

Cheers NB
    Oh god, is that one of those bugs crawling out from within body/head images?
    I think it was a Bunuel/Dali film un chien andalou, or maybe l’age d’or, that sparked a lifelong phobia

165. It’s called art Micky 🙂 a photographer who lets food and fruit rot and then takes a photo with a macro lens to enhance all the detail.

Me and art fell out quite badly

167. When was that Micky… when you couldn’t progress from matchstick men 🙂

Don’t worry, the violin will fulfill your creative needs…

It’s an ‘effing Viola, not Violin. Bigger, lower notes. Was talked out of my first choice which was the even bigger, even lower, cello

The art thing is more complicated. I do have friends who do it, though 🙂

It was never going to take you long, was it NB 🙂
    The next level is not necessary. In steps common sense 🙂

It’s all a question of knowing when to apply the brakes 🙂

171. chas mobile says:

Micky
    Yep, going, of course.
    Did no cooking last few days. Deffo no turkey.

172. I’ve got no idea what you mean Micky 🙂

Chas Mobile
    Will Ant be dressing up as it is still the season to be merry? 🙂

NB
    I knew that, which is why I would have banned you ages ago if I had the power.
    Well, 50% of you 🙂

174. At least we’ve got a Big Radish PM to look forward to 🙂

175. I think Cat vids now would be good idea 🙂

micky – you could switch to sandals, they generally don’t gather dirt underneath them

match day with a fit Bournemouth outfit, great ! I may pop an extra antidepressant today

Never heard of the Arab kid, but I believe Gorgeous, always.

177. Micky… or you could pop an extra antidepressant and then you won’t give a monkeys about a bit of shite on the bottom of your shoes… and ditch the sandels 🙂

Eddie
    Morning, and in the new spirit of things, I will not retaliate to your sandals comment 🙂

Hi Steve, once again I am not sure why you are angry. In its simplest form, the point of the new tab is … why risk upsetting other people? – it’s far better just to be nice don’t you think.

Nothing any of us write on here will change the world. By all means use us as an escape valve for football frustrations once in a while, but hopefully the majority of the time we will just be enjoying chatting and sharing interesting stuff.

180. Steve, in 1533 , England introduced the Buggery Act… which included anal sex with women…. how many men break that law these days… including you maybe 🙂

Where’s the roll eyes emoticon?

Anyway on a lighter note G has just earned himself a free pass today. Any misbehaviour will go unnoticed by Dad.

Why?

George picks up Norwich socks that father in law thought would be a funny post Christmas dinner present.

“I don’t want Norwich socks, Gooner Gooner, where are my Arsenal socks?”

Proceeds to his chest of drawers and he wants to be a full kit proverbial, have told him not really the weather for shorts but can wear his shirt.

Good lad 🙂

182. oh and my welcome to Steve gets removed as well… 😦

What a rubbish start to my morning having to remove comments and pics.

NB. Having read your comments about the C word I understand your frustrations but quite frankly , much as I enjoy the majority of your input to the site, the rest of it pollutes OUR (yours & ours) site.

Steve. This is not an English site. It is a blog run by friends who come from all over the world and have different religious beliefs.

Where you are completely correct is that this is a football site (with a few cat vids)

NB. It made no sense without his comment.

Please – pretty please. Can we stop this?

I will tell you why …..

Over 450 times I have written a post. They take time, consideration and effort – I am about to write another. The only reward I get is the knowledge that people read and occasionally enjoy them.

This site is run by people who do it for fun. The discussions about the C word are not fun and quite frankly it has reached the point when we will stop taking the time and effort to maintain the blog and just comment on others sites.

Is that what you want?

186. Now I am frustrated …. photos of some fruit and Veg have been removed and a picture by Georgia O’Keefe…. that is taking censorship too far Chaps…. when the other week, trees in the shape of the male organ were acceptable…. this is my gripe and I think it’s justified.

187. stevepalmer1 says:

Thanks for your answer Rasp, You answered my post as i thought you would. I cannot continue Blogging under your rules, so will continue to keep my feelings to myself, Good luck in the future, and happy New year to all.

188. Sorry Raddy but it’s a matter of principle…. get on with writing your PM mate

I’m with you 100% Raddy. Thanks also to micky, chas and GiE for their support.

NB, context is important, Raddy is just reinforcing a point. We like having you on AA, we need your co-operation on this – after all we’re mates and this is just a silly football blog 🙂

190. Ok Rasp…. but as an artist, censorship is a big issue for me… I comment on a lot of art blogs and websites about it. However, I’ll leave it alone on here from now on, stick to football and the Arse 🙂

Gunnersaurus works

😆 GiE, I’m a big admirer of your parenting skills 🙂

NB. It is a matter of principle to me too 🙂

Steve. I am sorry to read your comment but we cannot have the blog used as a forum for political, religious or racial debate . I am really sad you choose to leave us and wish you a HNY

194. Bugger… I take full blame for the current debate about the ‘C’ word… I didn’t mean for it to get out of hand and now we’ve lost a good blogger… my sincere apologies. 😦

We also lost GN5 which was a great sadness

196. GN5 didn’t leave because of me…. you can still read his posts on my blog, he’ll be back though I hope 🙂 he is a mainstay of AA

Morning

could someone please let me know what is going on. Am I one of the original 6 or not. Raddy your phone is still out of order by the way. Rasp kindly mail me or you Raddy.

NB. It was the C word discussion which lead to GN5, we take full responsibility for his, hopefully temporary, departure

There is a New Post