Who would you pick for a combined Arsenal/Spurs Eleven?

One of the ways I assess how we will fare against a team is to play the game “how many of their side would get a start in our first eleven?”, I am sure you do the same. Based upon this I was very doubtful midweek – I would have to say that all 11 BM players were better in their positions than our chaps, even Sanchez and Ozil would struggle to play for BM’s first choice 11, though they would certainly get on the bench. It is alarming to think that Vidal was their first sub – Gibbs was ours!

Unknown

I compared AFC with THFC  a couple of season’s ago on AA and the only Spud who got in was Lloris. Shall we try it today?

GK: A huge strength in both teams, statistically Cech is 1st and Lloris 2nd in the PL this season. By any measure Cech is the better player.

RB: If Bellerin was playing he would certainly be picked but he isn’t. Debuchy of last season was a reliable cog, not so this (so far). I know this is foolish but I rate Kyle Walker – the man is clearly a berk but IMO would make a decent deputy for Hector.

LB: Monreal vs Rose. Both fine players. Monreal’s experience and vast improvement makes him the chosen starter though Rose has proved (against us) that he is a decent attacker.

CB’s.: BFG & Koscielny are top players, they have a wonderful understanding and improve season on season. Spurs have Vertonghen and Alderwsomething. Also fine players and I was surprised AW didn’t sign the Belgian. Neither are as good as Gabriel who doesn’t get into our first 11. Maybe Vet’s would be on the bench for a combined 11. It has to be said that Martin Keown chose both Spurs CB’s ahead of our chaps, but if MK knew anything about football he would be managing and not clowning about on the sidelines! (just kidding Martin)

Midfield:  Santi, Le Coq, Ozil, Campbell vs Dier, Dembele, Alli, and Eriksen. In this case we are going in with 3 against 4 assuming Campbell plays further forward. Ramsey is better than all the Spurs midfield but sadly is still injured. All looks a decent prospect. Dumbbell is in fine form but not as good defensively as Le Coq, Santi is different gravy to Eriksen, who is Spurs most talented player. Dier is another decent young player and could be excellent, but could and is are far apart.

So, Spurs have a midfield which has potential to be excellent but we have a midfield which is already excellent. Would Eriksen get into our team? Without Ramsey the answer is Yes, with a fit Ramsey, No.

Forwards: Sanchez & Giroud vs Kane and Lamela.

Lamela is interesting – the Argentinian cost £30m which is almost the same as Sanchez!! Is he as good as our Superstar? Is the Pope Jewish?

Giroud or Kane is not so simple. Kane is more direct, faster and a better lone striker, but Giroud has better touch, is better in the air and a better team player, The question is would Kane be a better player with Ozil and Sanchez to play off? I think he would. Looking at their goalscoring record shows OG scores slightly less than OG since 2014 but Kane has played more games. It is a tough call but Kane shades it for me.

So the combined team looks like this

Cech

Walker  BFG    Koscielny    Monreal

Cazorla    Coquelin    Eriksen

Ozil   Sanchez

Kane

This team appears a little unbalanced and perhaps I would choose to drop Eriksen for Dumbbell to give more defensive control.

What do you think?

A worry is the appointment of the imbecile Atkinson as referee. Our record with him is abysmal (check out Untold Arsenal), essentially we will be playing against 12 men and very possibly Atkinson will find a way to make it 10 vs 12.

Any NLD is exciting but this one is special. Spurs are unbeaten in 10 and we are joint TotL. A draw seems the obvious result but quite frankly the idea of the blue-bellied Scum leaving the Emirates with anything other than a damned good thrashing is unacceptable. Just think 5-2. This is a reasonable and just scoreline.

You may think that I have been remiss in my usual bating of the Shite Hart Lane knuckle-dragging, cave-dwelling inbreeds; if so I can only apologise, but rest assured that my disdain for those poor miscreants whose mothers are also their sisters remains, as always, considerable.

If any of the Miscreants can read and are stupid enough to go onto an Arsenal blog, just remember …..  You won the League – In Black and White.

Much has been written about this being a MWG; in terms of winning the title I do not agree  but in terms of keeping the world righteous and in good order then Our Forces of Good have to win over the N17 Orcs.

As a famous Gooner who used to work at the Globe Theatre once wrote

“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our Arsenal dead.
In peace there’s nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour’d rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;”

Cry God for Liam, Arsenal and St. Dennis

COYRRG

185 Responses to Who would you pick for a combined Arsenal/Spurs Eleven?

Superb, BR.
    Cry God for Liam, Arsenal and St. Dennis 🙂

I wouldn’t have any of them in my combined team.

“switching from hyperactivity to emptiness”

6. Just watching the Cenotaph Remembrance Ceremony, the BBC have offered a an option on the red button of no commentary, how how I wish all channels would do that with sports broadcasts.

7. Mike Dean's nephew!? says:

It must be an inferiority complex among opposition fans that they need to assume every EPL referee is a Tottenham fan!

8. Dean says:

As a miscreant that has made it on to this “blog” I started off quite enjoying the debate over a combined 11 and started to consider the words that had been written. However as it decended into simple childish slotting and insults I completely lost interest. I’m 35 and spurs through and through, I enjoy all banter and especially the rivalry between the north of London but the ridiculous nature of how you ended this took away from what could have been a good discussion….. Roll on 16:00 and COYS!!!!

Cheers Raddy. A bit more nervous than normal today due to our limited options from injuries. From their side it is probably a good time to be playing us. I agree about Kane as well. He would be the only one who could usurp any of our regular 1st 11, and that probably says enough to indicate our need for a worldy striker. AW is apparently quite miffed that we had Kane and let him go.

10. Le Coq Monster says:

Thanks Rads.

“One of the ways I assess how we will fare against a team is to play the game “how many of their side would get a start in our first eleven?”, I am sure you do the same.”……………………..not quite Rads !………………It`s similar, but I play a game called,….How many of their eleven would get into my torture and kill cellar ?……they do well with eleven and it was a quick game !.
    I`m now onto my next game called how many of their fans would get into my torture and kill cellar ?……..fcuk !……how inconvenient that Cornwall Planning Office is closed on a Sunday as I need to extend the cellar !……..actually, are there any planning consultants on here as I`m wondering whether I actually need planning to just dig down deeper ?.
    A MWG ?……….I prefer to call it a…..LKTCG……Lets Kill The C##ts Games !. hahaha
    You probably ( or do you ? ) think I need to see someone about this hatred of the scum as you all probably know and are possibly related to some genuine nice Spuds, but as nice as they might be, lets kill the fcukers !. hahaha

Raddy – you naughty man! you are in a funny mood today 🙂

The PM is great and the team selection spot on, except Hugo Lloris. I love that guy, good man and a true pro. And Kane vs Ollie…..nope, I’d stick with our pants down.

thanks Raddy for a very entertaining morning

Dean – take it with a pinch of salt, the author has friends and relatives spurs supporters, it’s just the NLD silliness . Tell us what you think of the joint team selection. I love Lloris, great guy and true pro, I’d chose him over cech.

13. Le Coq Monster says:

14. Le Coq Monster says:

15. Red Arnie says:

lovely stuff, Eric. 🙂

Cry God for Liam, Arsenal and St. Dennis

COYRRG

16. Red Arnie says:

Giro ………………..

Thanks Big
    Superb
    I think we can count on Dean to be back if we lose 🙂

18. Le Coq Monster says:

Long before there was Royal Madrid…..there was Real Arsenal !

19. Red Arnie says:

the best motning batner is a long time. 🙂 dont worry, sitar is lined up. who cares if no one clicks. Well, I suspect, Eric does click … 😛

20. Le Coq Monster says:

Some minor trophies similar to the COC.

21. Red Arnie says:

welcome, Dean. 🙂 what did you expect? 🙂

22. 35 and Spurs through and through! Never mind Dean you’ll grow out of it as you grow up. 😀

23. Le Coq Monster says:

Urge you all to read Chas’10:40

Later

26. Loved the pre match Raddy, suck ’em in and then administer the coup de gras.

Only Kane would get in any combined eleven, but not on a regular basis.

My wife beat me at rock paper scissors this morning, so she has first choice at what we watch this afternoon. Murray versus Djokovic is her pick, I’ll have to record the game and watch it later.

I hope one of the two, and I don’t care which, wins quickly in straight sets.

Anyone heard from Redders recently? Or from NB69?

27. Le Coq Monster says:

How fcuking brilliant is this photo ?……….football rattle makers must be a dying art !.. mind you, a woman in possession of a rattle could be classed as wielding a deadly weapon !…..the sound of a rotating rattle when entering a house drunk at 3 in the morning !,,,,,it sends shivers down my spine !.

28. Le Coq Monster says:

How fcuking brilliant is this photo ?……….football rattle makers must be a dying art !.. mind you, a woman in possession of a rattle could be classed as wielding a deadly weapon !…..the sound of a rotating rattle when entering a house drunk at 3 in the morning !…….it sends shivers down my spine !.

29. Chas, thanks for putting up that link at 10.36. A very moving memorial to incredibly brave young men.

Superb PM Raddy. I’m not sure I would have chosen Kane over Giroud but agree it is close 🙂

I’m working today, and usually am in 2 minds about going to this fixture, but today, I envy those who are – may the force be with the 12th man 🙂

Speaking of whom, chas, sorry I haven’t updated the widget yet, be assured I’ll do it tomorrow when I can add th4e hatful of goals we’re going to score today 😀

31. sam kagai says:

Sent from my Samsung device

32. stevepalmer1 says:

Very nice Big R, well worth waiting for, I have never liked to think about a mix of players from North London, I am sure that The Upper class have always held the Working class down, i feel the same way about this fixture but can understand your reasoning.

Watching the Parade on the TV always gets me emotional, all those servicemen parading, and seeing veterans that can hardly walk with rows of medals. I have always been for the servicemen, and i think that is part of the British bulldog spirit, makes me proud to be English, But when i saw the African contingent, and was informed that they had over a hundred thousand taking part, Many of them also fought in the first world war and was the first to enter the frey, made me realise that a world war included all Nations, and todays game is very similar.

Your view of a combined team has made me think again , No one will die this afternoon whoever wins, and everybody i hope will get home safe and sound. I still dont like Spuds but i hope they get home safe and unhappy. 🙂

33. What was sent from your Samsung device Sam?

Sent from my Olivetti typewriter.

34. Has Remi Garde had time to work a small miracle at Villa?

35. stevepalmer1 says:

Villa, holding out well, playing some nice football, If Villa can score early this could be a really good game. City do not look the same team without Aguero and Silva, Bony just gone off injured. Sterling looking dangerous

36. fred1266 says:

Campbell going to show you he better than eriksen

37. stevepalmer1 says:

Half time 0.0 at Villa Park

TEAM NEWS: Koscielny returns

Arsène Wenger made one change to his starting XI for the game against Tottenham Hotspur.

Laurent Koscielny returns to the team after recovering from a hip injury in place of Gabriel.

Elsewhere, Petr Cech stars in goal and potentially could equal David James’ record of 169 clean sheets in the Premier League.

Arsenal team to play Tottenham: Cech, Debuchy, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Cazorla, Coquelin, Ozil, Alexis, Campbell, Giroud

Arsenal substitutes: Ospina, Arteta, Gabriel, Chambers, Gibbs, Flamini, Iwobi

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

8 Nov 2015

One good thing about all the injuries is that AW doesn’t have to think very hard to pick his strongest team.

COYRRG, our future manager Remy has made it possible for us to go ToTL 🙂

GN5 – I almost asked – no Sanchez?

41. Now we have to take the chance to go top offered by Villa holding City to a draw.

Great post BR

I agree with all your combined 11 except three:

Out with Walker, Erikson, Kane. In with anyone wearing red and white.

Simples 🙂

wow rasp 🙂 villa drew v Shitty!i excellent

Do you really think Remy is only practising in Birmingham?

I expect this to be a very hard fought game.

plusses will be Giroud and Sanchez

minusses will be Debuchy and Mertesacker and not much attaqck on the bench

Hi Eddie, I think RG is seen as a rising star (in the managerial sense). Apparently he shares AW’s football values. It’s way too early to speculate, but if he does well at Villa for the next couple of seasons, who knows?

Right. Got all the lucky stuff at hand.

Start drinking wine as the 2nd half starts.

Remi has started benefitting his favourite team by getting a woeful AV to gift AFC the chance to go top. Well played that man

Hi Eddie, how are you? I’m always nervous before an NLD.

In my young days fights among the kids of the two sets of fans would be a frequent occurrence around Islington; so my abhorrence was deep set way back then and has not abated to this day. Losing to them is like having a tooth pulled with no freezing, losing at home is even worse.

Nice one BR, sorry I forgot to comment, ys look forward to your pre game posts – especially when they used to have a theme.

I’m off to set up the home theater in the basement – watching on a 120″ screen and having surround sound adds another depth of enjoyment to the game.

50. Red Arnie says:

COYG. 🙂

Just walking dog having been on family day out, check the Villa city score and see today just got a damn sight more important.

COYRRG!!!

You wait, we will get a penalty 😉

53. Djokovic in straight sets, I got control of the remote.

C’mon you Gunners!!!

Is that screen in your toilet GN5 😉

Top over the break would be most very splendid

Come on you Gunnnnners

GN5 – are you filthy rich? Could you buy as a striker next TW?

a beautiful Rememberance tribute, I am in tears already

Bllody hell, not an injury already???? Cazorla not moving properly, Flamini warming up 😦

All looks a bit frantic at the moment. Need to get on the ball and control possession.

Chambers and Gabriel warming up …. is Kozzer breaking down?

Pochettino must be the longest serving spurs manager this centuary

Well deserved goal. We have not had 1 attempt yet

Awful defending.and I have to say it has been coming.

ATM we look second best.

COYRRG

OK, so we’re one goal down. Let’s play with our heads. Very important we don’t concede a second, there is plenty of time for us to score 2 goals.

How come we looked superb defensively at home against Bayern and dreadful away. Maybe Bellerin is even better than we think?

65. Red Arnie says:

Poor defending

What is happening? The miscreants are all over us.

We have shown nothing and Spurs are better in every department. First to the ball, controlling midfield, sharper in attack and secure in defence. Our boys look tired and it is proving costly.

We need to shape up if we are to get anything out of this game.

We may have better players but ATM Spurs are a far better team.

According to the BBCs stats, we’ve had 1 shot and they’ve had 6. We’ve had 56% possession. Have we got our tactics right? Did the game need to be so open?

We do look second best Raddy.Santi is having a poor game, Sanxhez is out far too wide and Giroud can’t get into the game.Campbell is trying his best but is a bit of a headless chicken.
    This will be a hard game to win.We may well see Flamini come on as we don’t have any real aqttacking options.

69. fatgingergooner says:

What a bag of shit that was. They better wake up second half or we could lose by a few goals.

It is open because Santi and Le Cog are getting swamped. Campbell is out of his depth and we are desperately missing the attacking force of Bellerin

A worrying stat is that we have scored just 7 goals at home and 15 away,

Tough to see where our goals will come from

Still, 45 left.

Players of the match so far Monreal and Coquelin, but they can’t keep them out on their own.

Debuchy having a better game, Koz at fault for the goal in the same way Paulist was against Bayern, if you’ve realised too late that your deep you need to start going backwards, wonder if it’s an automatic reaction to step out when they’ve dropped deep or someone is calling and then interfering with their own decision making?

Up front we’ve not been good at all.

I personally would put Gibbs on for Campbell, and switch Alexis to the right, Gibbs is good going forward and a bit more defensively minded.

Can Spuds keep up the pressing all game? Who knows but we need you be a way to beat it either by giving better options to the man in possession or going over the top of it.

Rasp in answer to your question I think it’s two fold it’s not just Hector we are missing on that right flank but Rambo as well.

Whilst an attacking threat I think that Rambo does put in a good shift backwards and tucks in which makes us more solid without ball, it’s why I think Gibbs is a good sub at half time.

In terms of players warming up (and therefore potential injuries) surely it’s better they just keep moving when on the bench?

I think we are seeing the effects of our injury list in the way the first choice 11 are playing some of them need a break.

GIE I agree, some of the players are making mistakes which they would not normally do because they are mentally tired

75. Cazorla’s having a crap game, take Campbell off push Cazorla wide right and bring on Flamini alongside Le Coq.

Oh! And give Koscielny a kick up the arse.

Thanks GiE, yes, I think Ramsey is a big loss. Let’s hope he’s back after the internationals.

I’d take a draw from this game right now 😦

Me too.

Hi Erik
    I reckon its Theo we’re missing (right or central) as he occupies defenders. They know if they stop Mesut and Sanchez, they pretty much stop our goal threat. Bastards! 🙂

79. According to Hodgson, Welbeck won’t be back until March.

Right, come on you gunnners. Goal time

We must do better in the 2nd half. Flamster on – as Rasp called it Santi was hurt 5 mins into the game

I wish just for once we’d make an early substitution and move things around when we’re underperforming …. isn’t that what good managers do?

Aha, I take it all back, well done AW – although it sounds like we should have made the sub much earlier 🙂

Right, looks like they had some red bull at half time

Spurs are tiring hence foul count rising

Its coming from a set piece
    Olly Per or Kos

87. fatgingergooner says:

Can’t afford to be missing them. Terrible header

FFS OG. That was an easy chance.

89. fatgingergooner says:

This is woeful. Who are we supposed to bring on to change it!?

Get in!!!!!!

Told you we should have brought Gibbs on at half time 😀

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

92. fatgingergooner says:

Fucking yeeeeeeeeessssssssss

Gggiiibbbooooooo you beauty 🙂

Now FFS concentrate, no need to go shit or bust for the winner 🙂

The commentator barely finished the sentence ‘gibbs who is not known for his goal scoring abilities’ ☺☺☺

lets go for the winner
    RIGHT NOW

RASP 🙂
    Shooooooot

No, last minute killer

COYRRG. We can win this

come on lads
    attack attack attack

Excellent game and not a bad result for us

101. fatgingergooner says:

Will take that after being awful for 75mins

Lucky point really, so ok in the end
    Exciting stuff though

Phew …. we now need all our best players to pick up a ‘niggle’ and have a rest during meaningless international break, and then get Rambo back for the run up to Christmas 🙂

Given that we had at least two golden chances to win the game I am a little disappointed.

OG had both chances which he failed to get on target. Not good enough.

Spurs surprised me, they are the best PL team we have played

105. Maybe that was plan F. Be f*****g awful for seventy-five minutes and then get a goal through a substitute full-back.

Still if that’s what it takes…….

& we are still 5 points ahead of them.

Mind The Gap

Ok so here’s the thing, you don’t win games by being the better team for 75 minutes if you can’t play like that all the way to 90 minutes, not in the PL anyway. So were we shit? Or did the way Spuds get about us make us look shit?….well for me ckearly the latter. But we know we gifted them the goal, and in reality we didn’t look truly troubled apart from mistakes made by tired legs.

But they may be young quick and play with intensity but as I said at the start of you can’t do it for 90 minutes it’s a flawed tactic, unless you can score 2 or 3 when you’re doing it.

As soon as Spuds started racking up fouls it was a matter of time before we equalised.

Clever injuries for Debuchy and Santi they can have a couple of weeks off with no international duty. (Let’s hope so anyway).

I think we looked a different side when Gibbs came on as we did when we played Bayern midweek.

We were second best today mainly as we have a depleted squad and can’t rotate but kudos to Spurs they played well.

What do you say about Giroud. 2 unchallenged headers that a top centre forward would have buried at a time when we really needed a goal,and not for the first time he lets us down why ? because he hasn’t got star quality.
    I think we are all grateful to get a draw which looked unlikely for most of the game.

GIE

Don’t kid yourself we were second best for most of the game, don’t use fouls as an excuse.Man up and look at it as it was.

Man up?

Try saying that to Eddie 😀

Kelsey read what I said again……man up?…..where did I say they kicked is off the park or stopped us playing, the fouls were good news to me….I’ll reiterate and perhaps you can see what I mean this time.

They were better for 75 minutes because of the way they play (high press intense). They hardly gave away any fouls in the first half.

As soon as they started to foul more than tackle cleanly (when I called it in second half at 5:15) it was evidence to me that they were already tiring, tired legs get to the tackle a fraction of a second later and make fouls, eventually they can’t even make a foul anymore. That’s when the game changed.

If we had scored on a break against the run of play I’d agree we were “lucky” fact is we didn’t we had built momentum, so much that after we scored Spuds who were shattered used every opportunity to wind down the clock and we looked most likely to win.

I always say man up Raddy it’s a Cricklewood saying of the fifties 😉

Ah old chinese saying.11 men with Thursday night syndrome tire more quyickly than the bare bones of an Arsenal team that got schmeist in Munich 😉

We desperately missed Ramsey. Effectively we were playing with 10 men – Campbell will be sold sooner rather than later.

115. Is that why they all walk funny in Cricklewood Kelsey? 😀

I have never understood why we bought Campbell without a work permit.He is in his fifth year of a five year contract.He had some value after the WC but the club decided to keep him.

If any of that is not factual please correct me.

Only the gays, NG 😉

118. Red Arnie says:

OK, been there done that. MWG a priori. For the faithful, ex post anything goes. In the context of the EPL, this game matters a flying fig. We will win at the Shite Lane, and that is all that matters.

For the moment, we have bigger fish to fry. Can we not slag the good guys? onwards and upwards.

Today I decided to drink a NZ sauvignon blanc rather than my usual lucky Italian Red.

I take the blame for losing two points.

It won’t happen again, I promise

I wouldn’t mind pochettino as our next manager.

kelsey

Some you win and some you lose.

Good idea let’s all blame Raddy 😉

Patrick Vieraa is being lined up, Evonne.

123. Le Coq Monster says:

Thank fcuk we didn`t lose !…….I said the other day that because of our insane injury list that I would have settled for a draw and after Mansour City dropping 2 points it became a must not lose game, so am well pleased.
    Two week break, but that wont be enough to get our wounded back, shame it is not a 6 week break !. Unless we get some fcuking luck on the injury front we will not win the EPL, it`s too much to expect the same players playing every game with the risk of them picking up injuries or fatigue as well.
    With our historical injuries over the last Dennis knows years, it really is gross naivety from Wenger not to have bought a least a couple of quality outfield players in the summer TW. Still who knows, may be a bit of luck on the result side to counter the injury side may happen, it`s a funny old game.

124. Le Coq Monster says:

ARSENE WENGER has revealed he brought Santi Cazorla off at half-time during the north London derby with Tottenham as he was “half unconscious”.

“The game could have gone both ways,” he said. “We were a bit unlucky as well because we played the first half with Santi Cazorla who was half conscious.

“I changed him at half-time. I don’t know what happened to him.

“He felt perfectly alright earlier, but when we went to go back out they said he felt dizzy.”

“Tottenham bossed the first half, Santi Cazorla was not at the races,” he said. “We had restricted options on the bench.”

“I must give credit to players, they refused to lose the game.”

“We now gain two weeks’ treatment for 10 players who are not available and I hope that we do not lose more.”

Who would have honestly thought AW would take Campbell off and replace him with Gibbs and for Gibbs to score within 2.5 minutes. That wasn’t planned though I accept we didn’t have many options on the bench.The goal though gratefully received wasn’t great but they all count, and the best thing was Ozil yet again providing the assist.

126. Le Coq Monster says:

127. Le Coq Monster says:

128. Le Coq Monster says:

129. If Giroud was a better striker, Ozil would have a lot more assists.

Kelsey – I don’t believe that. Vieira is blue now. Rasp thinks Remy, most dream Bergkamp, I want Mauricio – talking of jumping into a grave

this was soooo funny – some Sky sports personality award went to a female footy coach. They had a surprise for the winner and she excitedly exclaimed ‘Thierry Henry??’, oh no, David Beckham 🙂

132. Red Arnie says:

yes, but he is the best we have. he is scoring one goal every 90 mins on average, which is way beyond any other player that we currently have. We are where we are arguably because of our lack of transfer activity.

Dont see the point of slagging him. Not that the fans are, in general. only a vocal minority.

Not a brilliant result tonight, but onwards and upwards.

The match stats make very interesting reading, Ozils are a joy on their own.

Arsenal – More passes, more possession, more territory, more attacking third passes, more crosses, more tackles won, more blocks

Equal – goals, shots on target, interceptions

Spuds – more shots, more take ons, more clearances, more headed clearances

Don’t know really what to infer from any of that as it goes against the game most of users watching, my only summation is Spuds were well organised defensively and were better running with the ball, but maybe all that running with the ball wears you out more than trying to let the ball do the work.

Things were more solid with Flamster in the middle and thankfully he didn’t get over zealous going forward as he sometimes can. Thank goodness Gibbs did. Was Avery good finish at the far post, I know Lloris has been held partly at fault but he did 99% of things right, The way Gibbs connected with it (instep not whacking it), took the pace off it and kind of wrong handed Lloris.

Level on points with the leaders at any stage of the season (other than with five minutes remaining of the last game) has to be good news

We can relax, enjoy the break and get some broken players unbroken

135. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, A fair result in the end i felt, Spuds did smother us a bit in the first half, and Harry Kane took his goal well. We did have chaces but Spuds muscled us out to be honest.

Commentators and Pundits were quick to pass the blame on Koshielney, who looked to be holding the line, but where were Merts and The Buch. After all Kosi works mostly from centre to the left the right sided players all looked out of position and i never saw any sprinting back but thats just my view.

Thiery Henry gives me the right arseache at times, an old Arsenal man, and he struggles to say a good word about us, whats his problem.

Granted we were not good in the first half, and as it seemed Santi was knocked senseless, Spuds did their level best to floor any Arsenal player who tried to make a break, and i felt he took an age to even warn the spuds for blatant fouls. Maybe we were a little lapse with our passing and we gave the ball away a lot , but we still kept the score down to only the one.

Second half with a change from Santi to Flamster we had a better ballance Flammy put a few tackles in and gave them a bit of what they gave us first half The Coq again was playing well and to be honest we had i feel the better chances.

Campbell had a fine shot saved by an in form Loris giroud had two headers that should have ben goals and he had a flash shot that sailed over the bar which also should have been a goal, hardly mentioned by anybody.

Le Coq monster moaned about Wenger being naive for not buying at least a couple of outfield players as now our fatigue side is feeling the pinch, sorry Le Coq i dissagree, we have Ramsey Wilshere Welbeck walcott and they are injured we didn’t need anyone looking back. Had these players stayed fit we would be making games like today wins instead of draws. we have outfielders on loan as well Wenger could not have known exactly who would be injured so i feel Naive is a bit of a strong word.
    I understand where your coming from with he should know as we always have players injured b ut just how many can we afford sitting on the bench. Personally i feel that a couple of week break will help us as while our guys are injured they cannot be picked to play so hopefully they will have them back for the run in, after all we are still on the same points as the leaders and thats no mean feat.

136. Aaron says:

With basically 11 starters out, I will take the points!
    Flamini and Gibbs saved our bacon.
    Need to Sanchez to NOT play for Chile-do they ever rest him? put some 20 year old who needs games in for goodness sakes.
    Cech and Ozil are amazing, Ollie should have had 1 for sure, but hey he has been scoring as Theo is resting on the sidelines. We are surely missing Rambo, Ox, Theo and everyone else right about not. Really worried about Wellbeck as that surgery he had is bad news, a few NBA players and NFL players I follow have had this and never came back to full strength-here’s hoping!
    Go Gunners! Onward and upward.

Aaron I guess knee injuries and the NBA don’t go together nicely, constant change of direction, jumping, landing etc on a hard floor with grippy trainers can’t be a pleasant experience for the knees. NFL hits are also one would imagine not great for the knees. Would be interesting to know the muscle group and joint wear and tear differences between the sports.

Any injury/treatment that results in an impairment or change of running gait seems to be most difficult for footballers to overcome…..Diaby ankle break leading to so many other issues, also why I fear for Jack.

Steve agree with most of what you say there except about Kozzer, Debuchy was up right wing which meant BFG had to go across to cover, Koscielny ran two or three yards forward giving Kane a head start, if he’d stayed where he was and started dropping back we would not have conceded as it was he was only a couple of yards short of catching him.

But it was no surprise it came from our right flank given who was playing out there for us. Alexis gave Rose a lot more to think about defensively and Gibbs did similar on the other flank.

As Micky says level on points with the leaders is no bad place to be, especially given our current injury list. What we somehow need to do is keep everyone else fit in time for the lads to start arriving back and then we need to rotate and blend effectively.

I’m thinking wended to give Nacho and Coq a rest soon, with Flamster, Arteta and Gibbs available we must be able to find some rest games for them.

138. fatgingergooner says:

Even though we have so many injuries, only 3 of our first 11 were missing (Bellerin, Ramsey, Walcott). I think the issue today with injuries was not the lack of talent on the field, but the fact we haven’t been able to rotate recently which meant a lot of players looked very tired during the game.

Even though Giroud missed some clear chances today, I think we would’ve really struggled had he not been playing. Spurs really pressed us and often forced us to play long. Imagine if all those long balls had been aimed at Walcott! Giroud’s finishing may be questionable but his ability to turn long balls into an attacking platform is second to none.

He still should’ve scored though!

139. Le Coq Monster says:

Steve, as you said that you stand by what you say the other day and so do I. We cant predict the future, so like big companies etc`, we have to look to the past, trends etc`.
    Wenger is a so called intelligent man…the Professor !….we have been around the top of the injury league for the past 5 years and most certainly around the top this year !…..so what does that tell you buddy ?. If you could have done a yes or no poll in the transfer window whether we should have bought any players other than Cech, I think it would have been an overwhelming yes !…………not only most supporters, but nearly every ex-Arsenal player as well where screaming for some new blood …..we must all be wrong except Wenger !.
    Talking to Arsenal supporters on my travels I come up with the same couple of concerns of Arsenal winning the league….one is….can we beat our nearest rivals ( after quite a few years of inferiority……Wenger still hasn`t beat Mourinho in the league ! ) and the other is….we have some great players, but the perennial injury problem will fcuk us up !.
    Past years we had to sell our best players and Wenger had his hands tied, but the last couple of seasons and of course this season…..well, we all know of the board member letting out the £200M in the bank rumour and not forgetting Gazidis blabbing that we can compete with anyone in this league money wise and even better, our Kelsey will tell you how much we have to spend !. hahaha………… so the monies there for the players and the players could have been sitting pretty on the bench not playing !…..yeah right !…..look at the bench today, the only attacking sub was Iwobi !.
    Come to think of it !…..this will be easier to ask this way…..how many bloggers on AA didn`t want us to sign more players than just Cech in the summer ?………don’t be shy….hands up !. I can safely say that me and Didit have not got our hands up, we both probably wanted the £200M spent on one striker ! hahaha
    As I say and it`s only an opinion….Wenger was naïve !.

140. Aaron says:

LCM, I respectfully disagree. Who is going to get games with Giroud and Sanchez up front, Ozil, Ramsey and Santi in the middle, and our back line with Gibbs, Debuchy, and Chambers? Hell, Rosicky can barely get a Cup game. No superstar will sit on the bench to get 2 games from ten.
    We just need healthy bodies back!
    Gooner- Don’t we run, jump and get hit in soccer? 😉

“No superstar will sit on the bench to get 2 games from ten.
    We just need healthy bodies back!”

It never ceases to surprise me how so many people seem to be incapable of grasping this point.

City’s loss of points should feel more painful than ours.

I think we all gave Campbell a fair crack of the whip, Arsene Wenger certainly did, but we have seen now that he is not up to it. I doubt if we will ever see him play for the first team again. Good luck in the future Joel.

144. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Le Coq, your right in what you say about me not going back on what i have said, but when somebody like you explains and educates me i see that perhaps i may not have all the facts, i am not naive enough to think i know better than others, and of course i dont,

Having said that, i put my hand up and say i wanted a new striker, and a guy to help Le Coq, i also wanted a quality keeper as well. When i said i disagree’d it wasn’t to knock you down mate, it was that i felt we had 8 or 9 players injured and felt we should have had enough cover.

Nobody knows at the start of the season who will get injured apart of course Theo and Jack. But to be honest Campbell seems to have been dismissed by some already, and i feel he is a grafter. He ran up and down the park last night and by the end looked out on his feet Yes he needs to learn a lot more and his stamina needs boosting, but compared to the likes of Theo he grafts a lot more and tracks back. He was Playing as striker for his country, and now he is asked to fit in and play every where, he has not given Wenger problems in that he wants to play as the main striker but i am sure he could, but he does try.

I of course i am just the same as you, i want a team of superstars, i want a team with enough players so that our quality is never compromised whoever we lose, but whatever the reasons Wenger does not freely spend may never really ever be known but i dont believe its from naivety..

I think the chances of this blog making it through the next two weeks WITHOUT sitar music are slim

Le Coq is right.Every year we finish up top of the injury league and now our players are knackered.Having to put Arteta and Flamini on is an embarressment, we should have bought fresh legs in the summer.228 million in eserve and we couldn’t find anyone, do me a favour.
    We have done exceptionally well to be joint top of the league but the comeback time for most of the injured is months away as is always the case, we certainly do injuries well.
    last season wasn’t too different,we had a great chance and then again faded as players were long term injured and we fell away again.
    I will pick out Giroud because yet again he cost us 2 points.he will never ever be a top CF wherever he plays in a top team.Scoring a goal in Munich when we were already 4-0 down means absolutely nothing.
    Friday rant on a Monday 😉

147. First Sampan says:

Kelsey at 6.59.

GIE had correctly called for Gibbo to replace Campbell, knowing that Gibbo would be able to score and AW listened to him.

Hail the new Crystals GIE

Oh chas, leave it out 😉

Aaron….not on hard floors like NBA, and the hits in NFL seem to get harder and faster and are weaponised (if body armour is a weapon 🙂 )

Our squad is 22 we have Hector and Chambers unnamed this year but won’t be long before we have to name them. By then Arteta, Flamini and TR7 will be off the books. We could of done what City did a few years back and have players paid who could only play in the FA Cup and League Cup.

If we had built a squad of 25 there would be no room to do anything in January.

That squad of 22 is comparable to most, but yes we have an injury issue right now. There are for me bigger questions that need to be asked and it’s not about the medical staff or manager. Why do some players seem to pick up more muscular injuries than others, are they injury prone or do they not take enough care of themselves to play the football we want to?

Great to see P at the last minute yesterday.
    JC was in top form at the pub, being greeted by other supporters as an honorary Arsenal old-timer.

As far as the match goes……………..
    Yep, FP should have scored but the spudulikas should probably have been 2-0 up before we equalised, so all in all, I was pleased we didn’t lose to that shower of shite.

Yeah, I know, easily pleased, 4th place is a trophy, we should have bought 2 or 3 more players with two functioning legs in the window, etc etc etc. 🙂

153. Morning all, any chance someone wants to put together a few words for a post today? If you could let us know in comments, we’ll keep an eye out.

154. Le Coq Monster says:

Hahaha True, Steve !…..We cant predict the future apart from injuries to Theo and Jack………and Rosicky……..and Ox……..and Diaby, yes I know Abou is not here anymore but he is a legend and has a bronze statue next to the treatment table . hahaha

Of course I love Kelsey`s comment agreeing with me @ 7:36am and hate the ones that don’t agree !. hahaha……………..although I will disagree with his opinion on Giroud…..I personally think he is under rated !…………and it`s good to have a good looking ponce in the squad to attract female supporters .

Chas
    You supply me with the av goals per game of any team, I will insert that digit into my Crapometer, and give you an immediate and very accurate reading.
    The response comes in three shades
    1. Never bother attending
    2. Attend only when playing rubbish opposition
    3. Attend all games

Attend only when playing rubbish opposition. Like West Ham.

Morning all, I for one and very satisfied with yesterday’s result.

A squad decimated with injuries; players clearly still feeling the effects of a gruelling game at Bayern and a cock-a-hoop spududon’tlike running riot in the first half.

My only sorrow is that Giroud had 3-4 good chances to become a hero …. but all in all, we are ToTL with 2 weeks for our battered and bruised to recover.

Now a telling off 😦

We have had several really good lengthy comments this morning, any one of which would have made a good post for the day!

Come on chaps and chapesses, give us a hand here please 🙂

I suppose I have to be a true sportsman and congratulate spurs on an excellent performance last night. They were the better team for best parts of the game and their style of play, team spirit and hanger are formidable. Well done spuds!!

Ok, you can assassinate me now

Chas – it’s hunger, not hanger 🐘

Chas

nice bowls video showing what a striker really can do 😉

Morning all, I can put a couple of words together if you like Rasp?

Thanks GB, that would be greatly appreciated 😀

There are so many diverse opinions about that game, it would have been nice to hear from someone who was actually there like peaches or The Yeti.

Or GoonerB, Crystals 🙂

166. fatgingergooner says:

I’m with Rasp on the result. To get a draw with so many players absent, so many players exhausted, and playing against a team who were tactically very good and full of confidence, I think that’s a decent point. Also City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea dropped points too so not much damage done.

As for injuries, when it’s been the same pattern over the last 10 years then you start think it’s more than just bad fortune (although didn’t someone post a story about a Spurs fan doing some sort of voodoo spell on our new centre circle before the stadium was complete!). I can understand the call for strengthening the squad, but what do you do with these players when everyone is fit? Plus we all know Wenger likes to keep a space or 2 for young talent. After nearly 20 years in the job it really is time to just accept that that’s the way he likes to maintain his squad. I would like to see some of our players take a leaf out of Özils book and come back from injuries looking like they’ve done some conditioning training and pack on a bit of muscle. The likes of Ramsey, Welbeck, Walcott and Bellerin wouldn’t do themselves any harm by doing a bit more strengthening work. It seems to have paid off for Mesut.

167. Le Coq Monster says:

True FGG !……A Wenger doesn`t change his spots and as if he would listen to us muppets !. 😀
    Thing is with the strengthening of the squad debate, is that any acquired players would get loads of games due to our never ending injury problems !….some will come back and someone else will get injured !…..also, if we buy some extra super quality players it not only improves the squad and makes the current players better but if the hypothetical bought players are better than the injured ones coming back then so be it !……I`m sure Kelsey would not be to worried about Giroud sitting on the bench if we bought Messi !. 😀

Post sent, sorry it was late guys, kept getting interrupted by phone calls. FGG, I hope you don’t mind but I used one of your comments from earlier as part of it. Feel free to remonstrate with me at will 🙂

Crystals would be happy with Giroud sitting on ANY bench. Ours or otherwise 🙂

Micky, this post may suit you, but I may need you to protect me from others 🙂

171. New Post everyone ……………….

Thanks GoonerB