Where Gunners Dare

Permutations. It’s all about permutations and priorities.

BFG or Gabriel, Gibbs and/or Monreal, Flamini or Campbell, defend or attack, 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, expect to lose and play at 90% therefore keeping something back for Sunday, prioritise the PL over the CL?

Oh, how I wish we had taken some points from our first two games, if we had then this could be a game where our boys could attack and play our normal game, testing our wonderful flowing inventive football against the best in the world. As it is, I expect Arsenal to use the same tactics as in the home leg – defend and hope to hit on the break.

images-1

Munich’s Finest

This being the case I would start Flamini alongside Coquelin and pack the midfield especially as the brilliant Bellerin is injured and Robben is fit. I doubt Muller will play so poorly again nor that Neuer repeats his Flapianski mistake, Bayern will be even better.

However, Mr Wenger has stated in his pre-match conference that Arsenal will attack from the start – could I be wrong or is this one of AW’s smokescreens? We shall see.

A forward line of Giroud, Sanchez and Campbell is potent especially with Ozil supplying the ammunition – we can score on the road as we have shown by scoring twice as many goals away from home in the PL as at the Emirates (7 home, 14 away – bet you didn’t know that!!)

I loved the result in the first leg but in all honesty I would have preferred us to try and match BM punch for punch. Playing the Chav way and parking the bus is effective and shows that our team has a Plan B and a Plan C but great teams play attacking football, which is why the Mourinho’s CL victories are so tainted.

BM are a brilliant side, already way ahead in the Bundesliga and are 2/5 on to win tonight; they have won all 7 home games this season. At the Emirates BM controlled possession and the tempo of the game but lost. My fear is that if Arsenal try to do the same tonight we will lose as well. Aย loss at BM and a draw in the Olympiacos/Zagreb would be OK.

In recent times it is rare that I go into a game thinking that a point would be a wonderful result but a draw in Munich would be fantastic, it may do nothing to help us get out of the group but fantastic nonetheless.

COYRRG

271 Responses to Where Gunners Dare

A good Post, Raddy.

I don’t think we played ‘park the bus’ in the first game – I think we were overwhelmed – but that worked out well for us as our breakaways were clinchers.

Without Theo and the Ox – we are doomed Mr Mannering – whoever you are. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Le Coq Monster says:

Thanks Rads

I`d settle for a 10-0 pasting with no new injuries in exchange for a thrashing of the Spuds on Sunday !…….The NLD Trophy comes just behind the EPL and FA Cup……I like to get my priorities right !.

You’re right Erik, there is much to confuse tonight.

Not exactly joining RA and his mate Mannering (although our lack of pace will be a massive handicap), but how many goals do we need to lose by to avoid the Europa?

Am I right in thinking 3rd place and its Thursday night football?

Thanks Raddy, once again you have summed things up to perfection ๐Ÿ™‚

Guardiola is quoted as saying we will be a long ball side tonight and as a counter, AW has stated we will attack from the start …. nice try Arsene, but nobody believes you.

Guardiola knows we will set up to be as solid as we can defensively and if we gain possession when they are committed forward in attack, we may well pump the ball in the direction of Giroud hoping he can continue his recent excellent form and lay the ball off to Sanchez or Campbell.

It may be predictable, but it is our best chance and it worked at the Ems.

Rasp
    “pump the ball in the direction of Giroud” is a bit of a depressing thought, but hang on, Jeff has travelled ๐Ÿ™‚

4th place and no Thursday nights ๐Ÿ˜‰ Micky. Thanks Raddy but I honestly believe we will be torn apart and if not I will eat humble pie.
    it really is a pity that apart from our opening game of the season we have played some fantastic stuff, the thirty minutes against United will live long in the memory, but it’s been a complete disaster, our opening campaign in Europe and I know things are repeated over and over again but we are always top of the injury league, we have oodles of money and Wenger could have bought those two extra players to suplement our squad. If he dares to do it come January the prices will go up.A simple supply and demand situation.

Going back to tonight I would drop Mertesacker and pair Kos and Gabriel. I presume Debuchy replaces Bellerin but who knows who will be on the bench. Word has it that Jeff may start.
    Whatever happened to Sanogo, didn’t he play CL last year before a PL game, so anything is possible.

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of ‘pumping’ in a game like tonight’s Redders. Bayern will be aware of the danger that poses and with OG muscling their CB’s it could well prove effective.

Jeff will only come on in the later stages if we are 5 nil up or 5 nil down ๐Ÿ™‚

We should all be keeping an eye on the other game tonight as well ….. a draw or a win for Zagreb and all of a sudden we’re in the driving seat again assuming Bayern beat the other 2 in their remaining matches.

Great PM, thanks Raddy

I think BM were taken by surprise last month. They didn’t expect us to have plan B – i think we were all surprised. But they will be prepared for that tonight and I agree with Kelsey – lambz to ze sloughter tonight ๐Ÿ˜ข

10. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Raddy shame about our injury list but if we train them to be super atheletes they don’t take much to go down (Theo and Ox) Belerin well his injury was an accident where coliding with a goalpost has that effect. Shit happens and we need lady LUCK tonight a lot of it.

What’s with all the negativity????

None of us should ever forecast an Arsenal loss …. even if we are thinking that way!

I am expecting a fantastic rear guard performance. An unlikely first goal for us against the run of play, Bayern equalizing with 20 minutes to go and everyone behind the barricades until the end of the game ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh and don’t rule out us going down to 10 men at some point ๐Ÿ˜†

12. Well done BR another good one.

Rather than park the bus and go down 1 – 0 I’d rather we played our own game and really give it a go. Who knows we might just win for a second time.

Damn all the doom-mongering, think positively, Arsenal to win by the odd goal in five.

13. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Eric, brilliant! ๐Ÿ™‚ COYG.

work now, back laterz. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Red Arnie says:

Micky’s AAA for me. whatever happens. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Red Arnie says:

no, we did not park the bus. GiE wrote an insightful piece on our strategy in that game, all bolleaux, but nice as well. Not reinventing the wheel!

60% for me. If it doesnt happen, I will eat humble pie. Which means, drown in single malt for a day or two. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. PV4 says:

Problem is we have been robbed of majority of our speed – compounded by the loss of Bellerin. I believe we can get a result though, and am predicting an unlikely goalscorer to get two!

PV4 – do you mean Giroud?

“Arsenal to win by the odd goal in 5” ๐Ÿ˜‰ I ‘ve got more chance of ……..

19. Herb's Army says:

It’s the hope that kills you.
    Cheers BR, it’s quite a conundrum.
    Having given up on the competition after Olympiacos, the club then astounded and teased us in equal measure with a fantastic result against one of the best club sides in the world, and we were woken from the dead.
    We’re racking up injuries again at the wrong time, and Bayern will be wounded after their latest Emirates excursion. I can’t see them being as profligate in front of goal as they were here, but we’ve been quite free-scoring ourselves.
    A point and no injuries would be a great night, but I’m braced for the worst.
    As big as this game is, Tottenham on Sunday is more important.

No he means Jeff, Evonne ๐Ÿ™‚

kels ๐Ÿ™‚

22. stevepalmer1 says:

Looking at the positive side of things, with Blatter and Platini suspended, seeing how they always planned years ahead, it’s only thesable that the winners of this cup has already been penciled in, our best chance is to keep it even till the last few minutes and score the winning goal, and then proceed to kick it out of play till the final whistle which would probably include Fergie time.

23. Le Coq Monster says:

Lets have a vote !……………………………….apart from our most Germanic Gooner…..Baron Adolf von Focke Wulf McClintock !………………….how many of you lot will be more gutted to lose to the Munchies than The Spuds ?.

It`s no wonder we are Top of the Injury League with a near full team of…………..
    Ospina
    Bellerin
    Arteta
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Rosicky
    Welbeck
    Ox
    Walcott

I wonder if any other EPL team has a more impressive Sick Team ?……………..Wenger`s Non Transfer Window will surely come back to bite him !……….He just confirms what I have always thought………. in that……so called very intelligent people have no common sense !.

24. PV4 says:

Nice one Eddy! Giroud will assist one, Mesut the other.

25. Well I just hope that the pessimism being shown on here doesn’t rub off on our team. Bayern are fallible, we’ve beaten them and they lost in the Bundeslige last week. They’re human beings, not supermen.

26. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Any less than a point tonight puts us in a very difficult place if Olympiakos beat Zagreb.

With that said we shouldn’t go chasing a win, as Rasp touched on above the group is finely poised, the worst result in the other leg is Olympiakos winning, they will be on 9 points, if they and Bayern are on 9 points come 10pm tonight we are facing an uphill struggle, Bayern will face Olympiakos with both teams knowing a point will see them through.

Get a draw tonight and Munich will have to beat Olympiakos in the next game and we will have to win both to progress but it will be in our hands, the permutations are multiple. But I predicted a draw in Zagreb two weeks ago and was feeling confident we could progress even if we only got a point from the two Bayern games, having beaten Bayern I was less confident of progressing.m due to Olympiakos’s result.

With Hector out is probably a good thing JC is playing the right flank as he showed on Saturday that he doesn’t hesitate to track back.

All true GiE. If we lose tonight and Olympiacos draw with Zagreb, assuming BM will beat Olympiacos, I think we will still need to beat Olympiacos in the away leg – but not by 2 clear goals as would be the case if they win tonight (as their performance in our head to head would be better if we draw).

Hi Norfolk,

Your comment @ 12:41, just before you went off for your nap made me think – a rare event it must be said – and the result is the following – so blame yourself – or my proclivity for trouble making. ๐Ÿ˜€

It is tempting to believe that we are so important in the lives of the cosseted, multi-millionaire Arsenal players that we should all suppress our personal views, where necessary, and unthinkingly ooze optimism at all times in case any supposedly ‘negative comments might hurt their fragile feelings, or, heaven forfend, influence the way they play tonight, even if we do have some genuinely held and natural concerns.

Tonight, both sides start even Stevens – but the outcome of any sporting clash is always subject to many different variants, including poor refereeing decisions, player injuries, poor tactics, the result of an ‘iffy’ curry, as well as the subjective quality of the opposition.

Surely you agree that a dollop of realism never hurt anyone, let alone hardened professional footballers who, let’s be honest here, are unlikely to read the blogs and would not give a monkey’s what we were talking about in any case?

The beauty of the game, and why I love it, is its unpredictable nature, and by extension, it is why I love the Arsenal – because I care, and I know I am not alone in this, I love speculating, with a certain amount of fear and trepidation, on which players are available, who will play, and how they will play, what will be our strategy – be it park the bus or kick ass attack – and many other related topics because I passionately want the boys to win – but I also am keenly aware that they might lose, and that would cast me, and countless others, into abject misery – until the next game, at least.

I do not think you were questioning much, if any, of what I have said above – altho’ I am sure you will let me know, if I am wrong – but your comment gave me the opportunity to elucidate my feelings on a topic that is important to me, and is the reason, in part, for why I blog — and for that — many thanks. ๐Ÿ˜€

Typing as I think is fraught with many a slip – so feel free to tell me of any contradictions or mis-spoken phrases – and I will do my best to ignore you. ๐Ÿ˜€

COYG

29. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Rasp I guess best result tonight is probably a Zagreb win and us winning, all on 6 points going to the last 2 games would be quite something.

That would be the dream result GiE, but if we don’t win, Zagreb winning would be the next most important result for us

You pessimistic Doomer, Rasp — “if we don’t win” what a thing to say – shame on you.

Of course, you are correct – Zagreb winning, in those circumstances, would provide a leaf behind which we could brandish our fast diminishing hopes of qualifying – not that I would ever say such a thing! ๐Ÿ˜€

32. Red Arnie says:

No worries, YET! We will win tonight and on Sunday. Simples. ๐Ÿ™‚

How, I dont care, for tonight what matters is the result. ๐Ÿ™‚ COYG.

33. Hi Redders, got it, cheers.

Really NG? That’s it? I thought you would come out with all barrels a-blazing.

Bugger – I am losing my touch. ๐Ÿ˜€

[Retreats – head down, feet shuffling and whistling dixie]

Hi Redders, what I’m talking about is plain maths – nothing to do with pessimism, optimism or luck ๐Ÿ™‚

36. Ha ha, got you there Redders. ๐Ÿ˜€

The reason why I’m concerned about the doom mongering that predominates on AA today, rubbing off on our team is ESP.

Extra sensory perception. Many people believe that ESP is a very real phenomena, that being so it seems reasonable to suppose that the players, even cocooned as they are, could still be affected if sufficient doom mongering was released into the ether.

If that were to happen, our team could be totally dispirited and so play at a level two or even three down from that which we all know they are capable of.

So, Redders you can see why I’m somewhat alarmed at the thought that all the doom mongering could affect tonight’s result.

Actually of course it’s all a load of old bollox and I only mentioned it in the first place in order to smoke you out, and it worked a treat.

You can go on whistling Dixie until kick-off if you like. ๐Ÿ˜€

37. VCC says:

WOW…get well soon Mr. Arsenal.

And the terrible thing is that I find myself agreeing with you, Cornflake Norfolk. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course, the Doomer-in-Chief, aka Crystal Balls, aka Kelsey, knew what you were you were going to write in advance, and he is laying low! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi VCC.

And I agree with you – I am sure that Tony will quickly get over the surgery, it is marvellous what can be done nowadays.

But what a surprise!

40. Yes best wishes to Big Tone, angioplasty is a very effective procedure, I had mine three years ago and recovered fully, brain damaged but otherwise all right.

Cheers, BR.
    Having read your excellent pre-match while out and about earlier, I’ve been pondering the imponderables all day and am still none the wiser.
    Just have to wait for kick-off, I suppose.

Speaking of math, Rasper, and not pessimism, optimism or luck, do you recall a couple of years back, maybe longer, asking the then bloggers on AA to solve an equation, and there were a number of guys who suggested using ‘Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally or “Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction” or Pemdas as it is known which is the technique for remembering the order of operations in which you solve such problems.

I was the sole person to arrive at an answer by demonstrating a simple method of doing so, by not using Pemdas – to much public disdain.

I forgot at that time to say why I had done so, and your succinct words today has reminded me. ๐Ÿ™‚

You see, underneath the question was the cunning phrase ‘without using brackets’. In America, Australia and some other countries, we call brackets ‘parentheses’ and so where some peeps went wrong was not reading ALL of the question, and that excluded using Pemdas.

You never really summed up the ‘luck’ question that has dogged us for some years too – and its definition.

So tonight, we might rely on ‘luck’ which can be used both as a verb and a noun, but it can be defined as ‘success or failure apparently brought about by chance rather than through one’s own actions.

Hence, saying “the ball luckily ricocheted off the bald pate of the referee after first hitting the prostrate GK, deflecting onto the post before being blown into the net by a strong gust of wind ensuring victory for the away team”, is a way of rationalising what many – (not you – obviously) – would simply see as another more succinct way of saying;-

“the ball ricocheted off the bald pate of the referee after first hitting the prostrate GK, deflecting onto the post before being blown into the net by a gust of wind, and had nothing at all to do with the actions of the victorious team”.

I will take your disagreement as read which is lucky really! ๐Ÿ˜€

Bloody hell. TA has heart knack. Frightening.

Any team news?

44. Le Coq Monster says:

NG……..I think that ESP bollox is overrated !. I always thought I had it, always thought it was working, but every time I crashed into my bedroom thinking I knew my wife was in bed with another man I was wrong !….I have excepted her weird ways of wanting to smoke a pipe, her charitable ways of collecting used men`s clothing and storing them in our bedroom for Oxfam, Red Cross etc`, her occasional bad memory for leaving the bedroom window open in the height of winter with a ladder out side it and her terrible DIY skills of never managing to fix our continuously falling down garden fence !.

RA. It was Napoleon who said ” I know he is a good general but is he lucky?”

Let us hope the referee is lucky for AFC tonight.

NG. 5,27 ๐Ÿ™‚ We AA’ers are very lucky that you made a full recovery.

46. BR, the entire travelling party are at this moment attending a seance being held by Madame la Medium in a desperate attempt to relieve the collective feeling of doom that has been engendered on AA today. Arsene is reported to have resorted to sticking pins in a wax doll in the likeness of Crystals and ,chanting strange Franco German mantras.

Team news is usually about an hour before kick off approx.

49. Ha ha Cockie, ESP always worked for me, it gave me enough warning to be out the window and down the ladder before you got through the front gate.

50. Le Coq Monster says:

You owe me a fence you bastard !.

51. Chas, doesn’t that only apply in the next, the knockout, phase?

52. Vintage Gooner says:

How boring can people get? To raise transfer activity in the context of today’s injury list is truly stupid.

I followed the clamour before the window closed and calls for a striker were enormous,nearly equal were the demands for a DM to cover (and for some amazingly replace Coquelin).Quieter were calls for a fifth CB Nowhere did I see clamour for a right winger nor indeed a left back which was the last time we had six or seven injuries stacking up on a single position in the team.

The real concern should be our brittle players and how we keep them playing or sadly move them on if they are literally not fit for purpose at Arsenal. Sadly a much more complex situation for which unthinking knee jerk reactions would do real harm rather than good.

Getting quite excited now

It’s strange how many perspectives there are on one game, and as the game itself unravels how we change our outlook.

My view is firstly, I want us to qualify, but the flip side is I do not want us in the Europa should we fail.

Therefore, go like a turd of hurtles out of the traps and see where we are at the break. Still in the game, keep going. If on the other hand, the Krauts are out of sight, then off comes everyone at half time and then concede at least 30 in the second half in an attempt to secure 4th.

Will be fun.

God help us if we are relying on luck tonight, we need to play with our heads not our tarot cards ๐Ÿ™‚

Rasp
    Your blog site is crawling with lunatics who would strongly disagree with you there ๐Ÿ™‚

56. “A turd of hurtles out of the traps” is that Cornish dialect Micky?

Norfolk @ 6:11 ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Le Coq-a-Doodle @ 6:12 ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

ratatat.

I know Mickey, worrying isn’t it? ๐Ÿ˜†

59. Le Coq Monster says:

I think a rabbits foot down the jockstrap is the order of the day !.

Probably playing with their feet, rather than their heads, might keep the injury roster down, Rasper. ๐Ÿ˜€

Jeff-Reine Adelaide

A rabbit’s foot either side of your budgie at the very least, and a sprig of heather up your jacksie for good measure then ๐Ÿ™‚

3-1 was my prediction We played better than I thought,but itwasn’t to be so we concentrate on the NLD ๐Ÿ™‚

64. VCC says:

Le Coq Monster + RA…..everything crossed for tonight . Beers in the fridge, ready for either celebrating or commiserating.

COYG

65. VCC says:

HI Kelsey….hope your well buddy. No stressing tonight. crack a bottle open.

66. Red Arnie says:

proud and optimistic in front of the sofa. Come on you Gooners! ๐Ÿ™‚ just play with pride. we want nothing else. ๐Ÿ™‚

67. Red Arnie says:

VCC. all loose appendages crossed! ๐Ÿ˜›

68. Red Arnie says:

Koscielny has a ‘slight hip problem’ apparently.

71. Red Arnie says:

that’s a positive lineup. COYG. ๐Ÿ™‚ goal scoring led from the front by our best striker! ๐Ÿ˜›

Has he got the hippy hippy shakes,chas.

73. Red Arnie says:

Sanogo is out on loan, Arnie

75. Red Arnie says:

I am talking stats bolleaux, Kelsey, not counterfactual speculations! ๐Ÿ™‚

76. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

BFG and Gabriel….my guess is Arsene wants Kozzer in the NLD.

Ooo I say, Arnie is back in town
    Evening Beardie ๐Ÿ™‚

Well that’s our best defender out, you may well be right GIE this could be a horror show tonight

79. Red Arnie says:

evening, Micky! ๐Ÿ™‚

Crystals!!!
    Are you sticking around tonight for some meaningful dooming?

81. Red Arnie says:

COYG ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

82. Red Arnie says:

Kels. ๐Ÿ™‚ conversely, it could be one of those fantastic CL away nights! ๐Ÿ™‚

83. Red Arnie says:

Robben is hiding behind the sofa!

Micky,
    I doubt it because it clashes “with GP behind closed doors”

I have not seen Tony Adam’s medical woes reported on the ‘official’ TV channels. Are we sure it is true?

86. Red Arnie says:

Robben aka The Submarine
    Achtung, dive dive dive

Everybody at Arseblog News wishes Tony the best with his recoveryโ€ฆwe suggest he doesnโ€™t watch the match tonight.

RA
    Its a fact he’s not in North Devon Hospital if that helps

What’s wrong with Hector

LB
    Crashed into the post v Swansea and got ball ache

92. Red Arnie says:

which one, Micky? ball, I mean! ๐Ÿ˜›

93. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. ๐Ÿ˜†

Which channel are we on on livefooty,I can’t find it

95. fatgingergooner says:

Can’t see us getting anything tonight but you never know. An early sending off for Neuer and 1-0 via the penalty spot would give us a chance!

Costa against Debuchy is a worry and it looks like Muller will be making forward runs from a central position tonight which could also be a nightmare for us. Let’s hope our forwards can keep us in the game as I can’t see us conceding less than 2.

Thanks Raddy, will be brief as tight for time but I agree with those that feel we will keep it tight and hit them quickly. i even hope this is the case and don’t feel it indicates any longer term deviation from our style of football. The injuries dictate it to a degree, but even those aside we are still likely a couple of top players from playing them on an equal footing.

The one thing I think we could have done better in the home leg was to hit the main striker in space more often when we have broken down an attack. That requires more movement by the striker. Theo didn’t move into enough good areas to receive the ball for my liking when we were defending so I hope Ollie does. If they do this it becomes less long ball hoof and hopes, (that likely just comes straight back at you with another attack-siege type football) and more just by-passes their high pressing players with a medium distance pass to a striker who can receive the ball and retain possession until a pass option from our deeper players moving out (quickly) becomes available.

97. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

COYRRG!!!

98. Red Arnie says:

Yes, GiE, COYRRG.

Come on you mighty Gunnnnnners

Crystals
    Channel 8 or 9
    ie BT Sport

How did Giroud miss that ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bugger. Terrible marking.

Cech was instructed not to try to save it ๐Ÿ˜‰

104. Silly by Gabriel, no need to step up there he could have dealt with the cross

B’std cheating 4th official. Lovely “goal” from Ozil

106. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Thats a bit harsh for the booking!

it was a handball, Raddy

Watch Campbell’s positioning – where is he playing? Debuchy getting skinned and JC is giving him no help.

Unfortunately Arsene was obviously telling the truth when he said we will go out to attack – we’re not playing with our heads, our first target should have been not to concede

Kelsey. Cobblers.

111. fatgingergooner says:

Zagreb winning!

Campbell is playing more or less anywhere and watch it again Raddy.

Owen Hargreaves is a disgrace. Why have we got an German ex-BM player and not an Arsenal man as co-commentators. Hargreaves stank out the place at OT and is doing the same to my loudspeakers

Bloody Hargreaves just loves Bayern.

Ok, 2 down now, we need to work harder

Oh Dear. Another effing deflected goal

Kelsey. I see things through red & white eyes

Mertesacker running through treacle again.

We really haven’t played with our heads tonight

The ref’s a homer. Clear foul on Sanchez

118. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

I’m not sure we are attacking Rasp? Whatever we are doing we are not doing it as a unit.

To be fair Munich are a bit special and dropping Debuchy and Campbell into this game on the same flank was always going to be difficult, i’d switch Alexis and JC to at least try and give their fullback something to think about, but to be fair they aren’t thinking about us much they are just thinking about getting the ball and then attacking with the ball when they get it.

119. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Campbell’s not moving well either.

Kels. Danish TV are convinced it came off Ozil’s shoulder. Don’t matter whether it did or not because we are getting well beaten but we got done by an official yet again away in Europe

Fair enough GiE, more accurately we are not working hard enough at defending. It’s like there are 20 of them and 1o of us, they’re working much harder

We do miss Theo’s pace up front

I think I will leave it there.It hasn’t been a great half let’s just hope we keep the score down as goal difference might be very important.

Why did Cazorla give up on that tackle?

Get on Flamini for Campbell before this gets embarrassing.

ooops, this could finish up embarrasing

GD doesn’t count does it? I thought it was head to head

I guess this is Plan D ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

It’s like a practice game for them.

Naive defensive display, losing Bellerin and koscielny has been costly. Our tactics are all wrong.

131. Red Arnie says:

credit where one is due. Lovely game from Bayern. Could have been so different if the goal was not disallowed.

I did not see a clear handball. Maybe my eyesight.

132. It’s goal difference first Raddy and then head to head as a decider.

At least we beat them at The Emirates ๐Ÿ™‚ Tall order to repeat it tonight ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

We should have played Flamini next to Coquelin and pushed Cazorla forward, and left Campbell on the bench

134. fatgingergooner says:

As expected really. Most important game for us tonight is going on in Greece, and so far it’s going in our favour. If that stays as it is then we need to beat Zagreb and Olympiakos to go through.

Bit worried about our confidence after this game though as a good pummelling won’t help at all.

135. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Can I just say that I think we are seeing the benefit of having league fixtures on the Friday night before CL weekends. They look an extra day fitter.

As poorly as we have played it must be said we could have been winning. OG missed a good chance and then the linesman shafted us.

The 4 changes have been very costly as Theo would have revelled in the space left as BM spend so much time in our half.

The loss of Ramsey and Bellerin has resulted in BM ravaging JC & poor old Debuchy

I doubt Kos would have let Lewandaowski pull off his shoulder.

All in all. Time to make changes and save Sanchez, Ozil and Santi for the NLD

Bring on Flamini for Campbell first – but it won’t be until the 73rd minute ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Rasp
    I really don’t think it would have made much difference
    They are better than us, and our only hope was to hit them on the break and that requires lightning break aways, and we simple don’t have the ammo

Can we see a replay of the Alonso corner
    Easily the highlight of the half ๐Ÿ™‚

Micky, we don’t have anyone leading in the midfield. Clearly the injured players are a loss but we should have known that a draw was the best result we could realistically expect, instead we have backed off and let them stroll through us. Poor tactics, poor defending.

Rasp
    Could be a Wenger Out day tomorrow at this rate ROLF ๐Ÿ™‚

What the fuck is Mertesacker doing so high up the pitch, the Bayern player has just strolled past him as if he’s standing still ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

chas. Thanks

Had time to think.

We need to concede at least another 3 to ensure we don’t play on Thursday. If we go out, let’s do it in style,

Crystals!!!
    Are you sticking around tonight for some meaningful dooming?

This is the only funny thing I have found this evening.

It’s very funny.

Pen to Olympiakos

Missed!

I went to a sports bar in Marylebone but it just got too painful, so back home.

If we win 3-4 I will self flagellate for the whole of next week.

Penalty missed. For the next 40 minutes I’m a Zagreb supporter ๐Ÿ™‚

HA HA HA HA Chas

So funny

Don’t we purposely need to come bottom now to avoid the shame of playing on a Thursday?

I know it’s bad but I haven’t watched the game. Im watching the BT Sport/ESPN channel for all the goals/incidents.

Your wish might be coming true, BR.

152. I really enjoyed watching Bayern play when it was 0-0 at the Emirates but I’m not enjoying them now ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Great play and a chance for Santi

No LB. if we win against Zagreb and Olympiacos, and Bayern beat Olympiacos, we go through

Oooo, The Apprentice is on.

Oh, in that case come on you…….who do we want to win out of those two tonight?

Zagreb, they are currently leading 1 nil

What tasks have they been set on the Apprentice?

Something quite tricky I suspect like how can you find a way for Arsenal to qualify to the knockout stages of the CL?

No pressure.

Yah, go Zagreb.

Spoke too soon, it’s 1 all now ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Are the fans being defiant?

Great goal by Giro

162. There were Olรฉ’s ringing out during a period of possession which they must’ve orchestrated so quickly – it made me smile

Bum, I am going into hiding until Sunday.

COYRRG

164. Well done Giroud ๐Ÿ™‚

Sanchez is not releasing the ball quickly enough, trying to beat the whole Bayern defence on his own

LB
    They’ve got to write a story for children. One team thinks bees collect honey from flowers.

Ozil and Coquelin have been superb

Have we got better or have BM stopped trying?

Fab finish from OG

Stand strong Zagreb, as it stands we can go through if we beat Zagreb at home and Olympiscos away

Zagreb are down to 10 men ๐Ÿ˜ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ฆ hannnnnnggggg ooooonnnnnnnn

It’s all over, Olympiacos just scored – our fault for playing weakened teams in the first 2 games.

Superb goal by Muller.

Sugar, shit and shinola.

Now we have to lose to DZ

Well, that was a terrible night though it is a pleasure to see a team as good as BM.

176. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Oh well its out of our hands now, all we can do is beat Zagreb at home and hope for a BM win in Munich.

177. Red Arnie says:

hmmm. behind the sofa now! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

178. fatgingergooner says:

That Olympiakos goal won me ยฃ85 so not sure what to think about it!

Basically we have to beat Zagreb by 2 goals and Olympiakos by 2 goals assuming Bayern beat them both. Not an impossible task but Olympiakos don’t lose many at home.

Problem is we are going to end up beating Zagreb by 2 and then that pretty much confirms us for Europa League if we fail against Olympiakos.

We only need to beat Zagreb – not necessarily by 2 goals

We do need to beat Olympiacos by 2 goals

181. The two remaining games in the CL are going to be ridiculous. We definitely don’t need spursday football but with our luck we might not be able to avoid it. It’s a horrible situation to be in and I’m afraid I do think the changes in the earlier games played a part.

Bayern are bloody awesome though

182. fatgingergooner says:

Here’s an idea, if we go 1-0 up against Zagreb then just keep ball so it finishes 1-0. That way, if things go bad in Greece we can chuck it in and Zagreb will go into EL by having better GD than us in our 2 games!

183. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Ok so permutation time…..Article 17 of CL rule book states:

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches,
    the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:
    a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
    c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to l) apply;
    f. superior goal difference in all group matches;
    g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
    h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
    i. higher number of wins in all group matches;
    j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
    k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in
    all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
    l. higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

So we can forget (e) as its only possibly going to be us and Olympiakos.

So first thing is results between the two teams, importantly we are going to have to win by two clear goals in Greece if we can only get one more than them then we also need to spank Zagreb for lots and hope Munich spank Olympiakos. To be fair if we score 3 and don’t win by 2 clear goals we will deserve Spursdays

184. Red Arnie says:

If we are only good enough for Spursday footie, so be it! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

185. fatgingergooner says:

That buggers the 1-0 idea up then because we would finish above Zagreb via Walcotts away goal against them. Why did he score that the bloody idiot! ๐Ÿ˜€

So basically we have to beat Zagreb and then beat Olympiakos by 2 or by scoring more away goal than they did against us ie 4-3, 5-4 etc. We could potentially beat them 3-2 if our overall GD would be better than theirs.

Maybe someone will tell me that’s b*ll*cks but I think it’s right!

A dawn cat in a box is essential to salvage the situation

187. fatgingergooner says:

I guess we just forget this result and this competition for now and concentrate on beating Spurs on Sunday. We haven’t let CL results affect our PL form so far so hopefully that will continue.

Biggest thing now is getting Kos and Bellerin fit. The injuries are getting silly again.

188. Ouch! That was painful.

Goodnight all.

189. Le Coq Monster says:

Like I said early this morning, the priority is to beat the Spuds on Sunday, fcuk all this CL permutation nonsense !.
    If we end up in the EL it is Wenger`s fault !. If we don’t win the EPL it is Wenger`s fault !……….I do like to say I told you so, playing best players in the COC and not buying outfield players in the Transfer Window will be our down fall, both are intrinsically related to our inevitable undoing……………Wenger never learns, an Achilles heal naivety of a stubborn intellect .
    I think that beats Kelsey in the dooming stakes !. hahaha

The cat’s out of the bag
    #wengerout

p.s. might not be about at dawn ๐Ÿ™‚

The original hipster beard.

A expected we got mullered though I didn’t think the gulf would be so great beforehand.It was like a training session for BM who must rank as the best or second best club side in Europe.

You can do all the permutations you like, we are out but possibly finishing third will harm our definite chances of winning the league.Trouble is AW will do his best that we do finish third yet we don’t have the squad to play endless Thursday night games.We saw at Sheffield Wednesday that our reserves are miles away from our first team squad. See you Sunday ๐Ÿ˜‰

Phew…the cats ๐Ÿ™‚

Jimmy Hill is a fairly unpleasant site at this time of day though

sight

Why does a “jimmy” mean a piss as in “I an going for a jimmy”? Is it rhyming slang?

Chas
    Fact is, I’m feeling pretty smug as I predicted a 5-1 scoreline to Oscar and his mates last night

Jimmy riddle – piddle, I think

You must be so proud, Micky.

riddle piddle

Oh don’t come over all smug Mr Disgraceful ๐Ÿ™‚

Who is Jimmy Riddle – I have heard of Nelson , was Jimmy his brother?

I thought the same thing asI typed
    Why have an easy to remember rhyming name of someone no one has ever heard of
    It works though

I was just looking at the Europey League if we do end up in there.

We would go into the round of 32.

2 games for each round of the knockout phase.

Round of 32 – 2 games
    Round of 16 – 2 games
    Quarters – 2 games
    Semis – 2 games
    Final – 1 game

So, if we do end up playing on Spursdays, we would have a maximum of 9 games and a minimum of 2.

The round of 32 legs are on the 18th and 25 Feb when we’ll (hopefully) have half a team back, fit and playing.

Do-able?

The challenge of the Europa is not that bad. ItTo win it we have to play less games than to win the CL.

Main problem as I see it is that there are some very good teams in there and THFC.

And the money is crap.

Are we definitely out now?

208. fatgingergooner says:

I still think we will qualify.

I won’t bang on today, but for me Cockie @10:36 has it spot on

My standpoint was determined at the half time whistle last night. Priority 4th, FAC and League

Fattie – oh no ๐Ÿ˜ฃ how? I wish it was all over

211. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

We need to beat Zagreb next week and Bayern need to beat Olympiacos in Munich (which they should do seeing as they still need to win that to ensure top spot). Then it comes down to us beating Olympiacos away by 2 goals, which is definitely achievable if we turn up.

Jeez, once you start looking.
    Jimmy Riddle, as in the cockney, is probably fictitious but there is an American folk chap famous for ‘eeephing’, sort of hillbilly beat-boxing, called Jimmie Riddle. He also played harmonica.

So in a nutshell – more pain in the backside

Has anyone else been confused by the ads at the bottom of the post before the comments?

Some of them now have sound which is most odd until you realise where it comes from. Not pleasant at all.

You are not fooling anyone chas with your avoidance tactics! Cats, beard, music, ads….anything but footy

Our record away in Greece isn’t good, but we could scrape through.

You’re right, Eddie.
    I only came on this morning, so I wasn’t accused of being weak after a defeat.

At least I’m not like Micky.
    ‘yeah, I agree with Cockie, but I’m not going to bleat on about it’. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jumping jeehosophat I like that mouth harp music!

That Devonish fellow is a doomer

Always has been.
    He hides it beneath that lunatic exterior

That ad with sound is for Dettol.
    Why are they targetting that at me?

3 points out of 6 against Bayern is pretty good, I would have thought.

Getting beat by shite teams (for whatever reasons) was our downfall.

If we lose, it’s Wenger’s fault.
    If we win. it is, too.

So basically, it’s all Wenger’s fault, good or bad, summer or winter, Heaven or hell. Sorted.

225. Le Coq Monster says:

“I don’t think Bellerin will be available, or Koscielny, we will have to see on Friday or Saturday,” said Wenger, who is without 10 first-team players.
    Add Campbell into the mix and that is 11 players injured !….giving us a full sick eleven compared to a “Sick” eleven when we have a full strength team !……The sick Vs The “Sick”….who would win ?.
    I must admit I am extremely scared at the thought of Sunday`s game and feel the game should be postponed until we get our players back.
    To help ease the pain I am currently building a Fort Knox style Sofa to hide behind, I just hope it will be ready in time as two of my Polish builders have gone sick !.

Right, I’ve been annoying enough, I’m off.

227. Le Coq Monster says:

Don’t worry, chas !……it`s probably Wenger`s fault that you`re being annoying !. ๐Ÿ˜†

Are you being sarcastic and implying that it is not wenger ‘ s fault? Well, whose is it, mine??!!

Me got no ads. Odd.

I am not a doomer in the traditional sense as I don’t care enough about our results and trophies. What I want is to win the CL before I snuff it, and once a season get a good away trip

We’ve been unlucky in the last two seasons to draw shit teams in the group stage and not good enough to get out because teams like Andelecht, Monaco, Zagreb and Olympiacos beat us

Of course injuries will be our Achilles heel in this comp, and every comp. I mean…like…durrr ๐Ÿ™‚

230. fatgingergooner says:

Our team with 11 injured is a lot better now than it was a few seasons ago when we had loads injured. We still have most of our midfield which is important.

I just hope that defeat hasn’t knocked the confidence of the players.

Final point on CL, we gave ourselves a chance by beating Bayern last week. That was the vital game. It’s unfortunate that Olympiacos beat Zagreb twice as that means we now have to rely on GD which is always difficult. It could play into our hands though if it goes down to the final game as Olympiacos won’t know whether to attack or defend, whereas we will know goals are needed and can really put pressure on them.

Morning Fellows and Fellowette, ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course I am disappointed at the result — but I do not suffer from the quashing of unrealistic expectations which must be a big dipper of a drop.

We were, by any objective assessment, a little fortunate in the home leg against what must be the best team in Europe – but that’s football and it gave us hope – and three points.

We were always going to be under the cosh in the away leg, even with all our players available, but with the injury roster as it is I was hoping for a draw, at the very best.

Even so, to see Le Coq and Mert up in Bayern’s half at times, was frankly ridiculous, and to leave the diminutive, creative Cazzor at home to ‘take care’ of skilful, athletic forwards – and fail – made my heart sink at the naรฏvete of that ‘strategy’, and I could barely watch the disintegration of the team – even though, in fairness, they did their best in the second half to unsuccessfully repair the damage.

I regret saying it – as many others will already have done so – but we do not seem to learn, do we?

I know it is only Thursday/Spursday but that was my Friday rant over – because the thought of joining the Cockerels on a Thursday jaunt turns my stomach.

But it is done – on to the future and the chance to take it out on our neighbours! ๐Ÿ™‚

Come back Chas – you are not being annoying! It is a coping mechanism, and cheers us up — well some of us anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Eddie
    Sure, I think Chas is weak, but you’re wrong to suggest he’s doing avoidance tactics. It’s the way of the morningers to avoid a subject so utterly dull as football ๐Ÿ™‚

Good idea micky, let’s avoid it altogether!
    How did you get on yesterday? Arm ok?

Eddie,

You cannot believe everything the Dude from Bude says — Look at this! ๐Ÿ™‚

Micky’s rules:

1. Itโ€™s the way of the morningers to avoid a subject so utterly dull as football.

2. I am not a doomer in the traditional sense as I donโ€™t care enough about our results and trophies. What I want is to win the CL before I snuff it, and once a season get a good away trip

Weโ€™ve been unlucky in the last two seasons to draw shit teams in the group stage and not good enough to get out because teams like Andelecht, Monaco, Zagreb and Olympiacos beat us

Of course injuries will be our Achilles heel in this comp, and every comp.

Absolutely no contradictions, at all. ๐Ÿ™‚

Poor old Chas and his cats – he just cannot win — next, Micky will want him to give up his broomstick as well!

Well Eddie, that was quite exciting
    Saw x-rays for first time and I have not one, but two metal plates!!
    I can drive now, so that’s a massive good. The slight down is she didn’t appear overly impressed with bone regrowth. I lost a bit on one of the two broken bones
    Definitely off any serious activities for another six weeks, then back for further look

Interesting bit was, xrays came up, and before she could blink I’d taken a photo with my telephone

She said it was not allowed on a mobile, but ok on a proper camera!

Not sure if that’s good or bad news – you can drive – bad news, have a photo for us – good news, but is your arm shorter now?

238. Herb's Army says:

Morning everyone.
    Let’s not be too downhearted, we got put in our place by a club built for success, and one of the top three clubs in world football.
    The home leg allowed us to dream a little, and it is still alive, albeit almost extinguished.
    It was always about the PL this season, we need to use the Manchester United result as a springboard, the players should keep watching it, and not allow it to be passed off as some ‘fluke’.
    As has been the case for a few years, our starting XI is first-class and will go up against anyone, but it is impossible to sustain with two high intensity games virtually every week.
    To go up against Bayern without Bellerin, Koscielny, Ramsey and Walcott was always going to be difficult, and I don’t think enough lessons were taken on board from the 2-0 win at The Emirates, where as RA says we were very fortunate.
    The Sheffield Wednesday game came at the worst time possible, and was the catalyst behind our Bavarian disaster.
    Nothing has changed with the PL, we’re still going toe-to-toe with City. Composure and good squad management is essential to keep our title hopes on track.

Oh RA, I didn’t mention football first this morning, or any morning ๐Ÿ™‚

I am reasonably consistent in my views though ๐Ÿ™‚

RA – i have to defend Didit – he never claimed to be consistent, sensible or even normal=common=dull

Final word about last night – we lost a game, not the war, we are still better that zem

Oops – he says he is consistent!! Nutteer

You want to see a photo!!!

Look what I have to contend with.

Micky says @ 9:07 : ‘I am reasonably consistent in my views’

Eddie says @ 9:08 : ‘i have to defend Didit โ€“ he never claimed to be consistent’

Loons the pair of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well said, Herb,

There is always the next game, and I have forgotten last night’s farrago of hope and despair already – sort of – no time to dwell on the past! ๐Ÿ˜€

RA
    The “reasonably” side to my consistency is my oft claimed right to the U-turn
    A particularly favourite manoeuvre

We have a post from Steve about last night’s game which I’m just sorting out ……….. be back in a few minutes.

247. Herb's Army says:

Three points against Tottenham on Sunday, RA, and last night will soon be forgotten ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh bugger, and there was me hoping for a post by a Realist

Losses and putting the boot in are better for the comments section

๐Ÿ™‚

Ah I was looking for a word for last night

.Game, that’s it, I had forgotten ๐Ÿ™‚

And Lo, he doth appeareth ๐Ÿ™‚

Morning Dear

Morning bionic

I was around earlier actually ๐Ÿ˜‰

Crystals
    Get your best codpiece on, could be a bumpy ride today
    I have to clear off for an hour or so, but I will need my best men around upon my return
    They’ll be waiting in ambush for our sorts ๐Ÿ™‚

Stand and Deliver would be quite appropriate ๐Ÿ˜‰

254. Red Arnie says:

motning all. And the first thing I mention every morning, or late afternoon in my case, is not football either.

Ommmmmmmmmmmm. ๐Ÿ™‚

255. Sorry, that took ages …………….

We have a New post ………………………….