Some Good Advice for Jack Wilshere

Dear Jack,

Didit here. Big fan.

Thing is this Jack, you are not just a footballer to me. We share the same DNA. Gunners is what we are, and the blood is thick and the blood is strong.

So here’s the thing. While you’re away getting your legs better, I would really like you to review your attitude. Not a lot, but a little.

With a little less Jack The Lad, and a slightly cooler, calmer head, you have everything to be an Arsenal Captain. Sure, you’re injury prone, but we know how you can resolve that quite easily. Sure, you’re a bit one footed, but then so was Chippy. Sure you’re short, but so is Messi.

Look, I know we talk about break through seasons all the time, and I also know the old captain chestnut keeps rearing its head, but a real opportunity is looming.

Great opportunities come along very rarely in life, and you need to be ready to pounce. The side is desperate for one of our own to take charge, and you are top of the list. Similarly, opportunities to cement a First XI spot appear all the time.

So take your time, get your bits sorted out properly, and come back The Man.

Arsenal need you.

Lots of love

Didit

125 Responses to Some Good Advice for Jack Wilshere

Love it, your posts always put a smile on my face 🙂

Dear God, LB, I’m trying to be serious 🙂

Stand out captain material for me due to the breeding, but must drop the rock ‘n roll exterior (keep it inside at all times, of course)

3. Great post Micky, also some very wise advice for, not just Jack, but for many aspiring young sportsmen and women.

They have a short time in their lives in which to secure their future, smoking, drinking and hanging out with their mates won’t help their sporting careers.

Football in particular has a sad history of young prodigies wasting their one good chance, they let the fans adulation and the money go to their heads.

Dedication should be their watchword. They could have ten years at the top, more if they’re lucky with injuries and go on to do whatever they wish with the rest of their lives. Or they could end up spending Saturday afternoons sitting Merse and Phil Thomson in the Sky studio saying things like “almost a goal there Geof, good chance but over the bar, still nil nil Geof”.

Classic DidIt rib tickler 🙂

As NG says – sage advice.

I’m struggling to think of any bad boys who have changed their ways and furthered their careers in a different mind set.

Jack’s not really that bad, he just needs to wise up when it comes to the media and don’t trust any of his so-called friends.

There is an argument that his laddishness is all part of his mercurial persona and that if you take that away, you diminish the player.

From the point of view of his physical fitness, he needs to dive in less and smarten up in the tackle.

I like Jack, but the jury is out whether he will still be an Arsenal player at 25.

Micky. A lovely read which allows me to think about our next captain.

Ramsey must be in the box-seat when BFG and Arteta hang up their boots.

I like having a defender as Captain but none really fit the bill – Kos is a fine player but doesn’t carry himself as a Captain.

Jack? Why not? As you say, he needs to grow up and stop fannying about though fatherhood will surely have it’s maturing affect.

Rasp
    Tony Adams. Proof you can clean up your act, but retain the spirit

Norfolk
    Agree with what you say. You probably heard the words of Woodwood and Johnny Wilkinson after The All Blacks win. Their words could not have been more clearly aimed at England (and indeed the rest of the rugby world). You want to be the best, you have to work an awful lot harder.

Erik
    Neither Mert or Mikel are good captains, and nothing makes me believe that Aaron would be either. You do, however, see Jack being very vocal and teeth gurny. Plus, I’d rather have an Englishman and a Gunner

7. Herb's Army says:

Nice one Micky.
    Jack Wilshere is the people’s champion, and as you say, having come through as a youngster, in an ideal world he’d take on the Tony Adams mantle as one of our own leading the club.
    Towards the end of last season he was doing it for Arsenal and England, adding goals too, and although we’re not adversely struggling because of his absence, his presence makes us even stronger.
    It must be extremely difficult having to grow up and mature under the spotlight, and because of his talent he was exposed very early.
    He clearly loves the club and it would be a terrible shame if he wasn’t allowed to fulfil his obvious potential because of a career blighted by niggling injuries.
    It would be good to see him injury-free and playing a decent run of games, something he hasn’t done since his first full season.

Good point micky – how could I forget TA?

Wenger’s former midfielder Remi Garde has become the 221st manager to be appointed by a Premier League club since Le Prof’s arrival, and there are no signs of the 66-year-old abdicating just yet.

MIcky,

Jack’s issue is that in putting in a 110% effort he sticks his feet into tackles when it’s not necessary – hence many of his injuries.

Like most of us die hards I yearn for an injury free Jack – what a jot that would be…………..

jot = joy

12. Herb's Army says:

Hi GunnerN5

I just want to address a point you made in the previous Post, where you said things will soon change if we start losing.
    That’s not necessarily true.
    There’ll always be a loss waiting around the corner that annoys and gets under our skin, but it’s fundamentally all about the nature of the defeat, not the loss itself.
    We have seen any number of teams beat us by employing similar tactics and exploiting our weaknesses, which has been our undoing for years.
    Suddenly that appears to have been addressed, and I don’t expect Arsenal to lose many games this season.
    There is a different feel to Arsenal this season, the addition of Petr Cech has been immense. He is the reason Jose is having a melt-down over at Chelsea. It is twisting him up inside that Arsene has finally bested him.
    I believe Arsenal will win the PL title this year.

GN5
    Totally agree
    When I said “Sure, you’re injury prone, but we know how you can resolve that quite easily”, I meant exactly what you say
    Release the ball earlier, end of problem 🙂

It may be that Jack’s just a bit thick, but I’m hoping that’s not the case

Oh blimey, maybe I just hit the nail on the head. If he really is thick, he’ll never learn so we may as well flog him. Damn 😦

Jack could be the man, but what I don’t want to see is him “releasing the ball earlier” what I want him to do is understand how to ride a tackle.

For me the best part of Jacks game is that he forces defenders to break ranks to go to meet him, which creates space, what he needs to do is be quicker to lift off the floor after he has released it so that any tackle just tips him up in the air.

Herb nice to hear some positivity, but perhaps your undoing will be the fact that you believe we “will” win the title. I believe we “can” if things go our way, mainly injuries will stop us.

For the record I think Maureen is losing the plot not because of Cech but because his flair players that pinch him the 1 or 2 nils are quite frankly bored of playing park the bus football, at the start of last season the combination of Cesc, Willian, Oscar and Hazard was actually quite good to watch, but then they got thrashed atSHL and Maureen reverted to type.

19. Herb's Army says:

Hi GiE

I hope you and the family are well.
    My rationale is that City always look capable of a wobble, even when they’re smashing teams they have the odd game where they inexplicably fall off the rails.
    We beat them quite comfortably at The Etihad earlier this year, and I think the current Arsenal side are capable of exploiting any City slip-up.
    Things aren’t great at United, Scholes is digging out van Gaal, and their fans were very disgruntled at Crystal Palace.
    Chelsea are out of the title race this year.
    I think Klopp will transform Liverpool, but not within the time-frame of this season.
    That leaves a straight shoot-out between us and City, and it feels like it’s our time.
    But you’re right, I could be wrong, I might be under-estimating City and over-estimating how good Arsenal are. I’m only basing my expectations on the back of the United and Bayern results.

Far too lovey dovey on here today — I am going to do a Steve and weave a web of despondency by having a warp of faint praise, and a weft of nihilism to cloak you all.

Micky, I think it is a disgrace that you imply our Jack needs to get his bits and pieces together – he is a young man who seems to have all his bits and bobs working overtime – every interview seems to refer to him having a sprog with this one or that – or is that Sterling?
    Whatever!!

And I am now going to nip straight over and inform Exile how Jack can avoid much of his injury jinx.

So, no lovey dovey-ing while I am doing my duty.

Hi Exile, 🙂

Your theory about Jack needing to learn to anticipate and ride tackles is well based – the trouble is that we have so many injuries at Arsenal I am beginning to believe there is no sod there who knows how to do so – let alone teach the likes of Jack.

In addition to the ‘surf the tackle’ problem, I have a pet theory which is obvious to the outsider but seems to get missed by the pros themselves and the coaches as well as the physios.

Watch Jack the next time he plays – if he ever does again.
    He dribbles with the ball, the way Terry Telescope does when eating soup with a fork. He has good close control and runs at players either directly or at a tangent before making a late pass or cutback to steer the ball around the opposing player, or to enable him to continue his dribble past him.

Now here is the crucial point, which I have seen time and time again since I saw him as a kid at Barnet – he always passes with the outside of his left foot. Always.

Now, if he passed the ball with the instep of his foot, [sometimes with the instep of his right foot of course] any forceful tackle would be cushioned by the bodies natural reaction to move the leg and the foot in the direction of the tackle and usually it loses its force.

But if, as Jack does, he only uses the outside of the foot, the tackle forces the foot into the body and inevitably means it hits hard into the unshielded part of the foot or toes, and also makes the foot twist which strains the ligaments or breaks a bone.

If he does not change his way of dribbling and passing with his left leg, and the outside of his foot, he is going to perpetuate the problem and be perennially injured.

RA,

That is a very astute observation about his passing. However I’m not sure that it leads to his injuries. I firmly that it’s because he lunges into a tackle foot first thus leaving his ankles/feet exposed.

Cheers for the serious post, Micky. 🙂

I think the problem with Jack (if there is one) is his gimpy frame.
    The Ronald MacDonald clown shoes and SuperMac bandy-legged gait are the true causes of his injuries.
    Well, that and some bastard bad luck.

The current break was apparently an impact injury from a Gabriel tackle. We can’t ever expect him not to be tackled at all. I’m hoping all it takes is a change of fortune for him to go injury-free for a long time.

I’d love him to be a future captain.

Hi GN5,

Well you make a good point, but that presupposes that the injuries occur as result of Jack’s own tackles (and doesn’t everyone tackle by sticking their foot out?) 🙂 whereas the main cause of his problems, from my observations, happen when he is running with the ball in his control.

Without a video showing footage (no pun intended) 🙂 of the moment of his various injuries, we will have to wait until he recovers and plays again so that, as I said to GIE, we can all keep an eagle eye on him — and prove — we are all wrong! 😀

That is an interesting way of expressing your desire to see Jack as – a future – captain.

It is a colloquialism we all use, which is somewhat redundant as we could not see him as a past captain however much we might desire it. 😀

Cheesy I know – but I have run out of comments on the topic in hand — apologies etc, etc. 😀

That 4:25 was for the inestimable Chas — more apologies cascading in your direction sir. 🙂

RA
    I just meant not a present captain, that was all, oh punctilious one.

Hang on, what’s that I see on his arm?????????

23rd Jan 2013 Arsenal v West Ham 🙂 🙂 🙂

30. fred1266 says:

can’t see wilshere being captain since Ramsey would always always make the starting line over him so maybe Rambo for next captain

bloody ell micky! I hope Jack doesn’t read blogs! A loving fan and an admirer calls him one footed, crocked dwarf, lovely!

Not one mention of him being talented, courageous, loyal, oh no! If that’s from JW’s loving fan, I’d hate to see what LB has to say

32. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice letter Didit, You believe he is captain Material Micky, Have a look at this link and see how many games he would Captain

RA that is a very good point about the outside of the boot pass, and brings to mind a game I was at Ewood Park, RvP early on wafting the outside of his left leg at a challenge and getting crocked…..you could see instantly that he was going to be hurt because the shape was so wrong.

My guess as to why Jack uses the outside of the boot is that it is the only way of keeping the shape of the pass moving towards goal as invariably a defender will cover off the other passing options for a left footer where using the instep would have the same effect.

And this is where Santis two footedness is a joy to behold.

I can think of a few members of our squad that are good at riding a challenge, but I will not name them for fear of jinxing them……if luck and jinxing existed 😉

Hector is out of the Bayern trip with a groin problem.
    Perhaps it was when he clattered into the post. Hopefully anyway, as that would mean it was probably only bruising.

Time to step up Matt Debuchy.

oh no, not Hector as well 😦
    I thought he hurt his stomach not between his legs

He’s French Eddie
    Every injury manifests itself as dick ache

Steve
    That’s terrible, your Jack injury chart. Does anyone make strap on ankle braces?

Is there a good CL tie tonight ie one where the result really matters to a top side?

Anything riding on PSG Real for example?

I’m in charge of bangers and mash, so back shortly

You’re probably right, Eddie.
    I still haven’t seen the 2nd half.
    I was just hoping.

Bellerin’s French – hahaha.

fraction of a second earlier

It’s not surprising we’re on TV all the time.

Comparing the skeletal structure of a horse and a human.
    Not the most edifying choice of illustration. 🙂

Eddie
    I don’t know if you looked up Tom Cox this morning, but here’s an example of his writing about cats if you’re interested.

Dear God Chas, he’s Spanish.
    Saw your comment, so looked it up. Oh well, we all know what they’re like what with chucking donkeys off church towers and shit

Hopefully his Barca dna has been fully replaced by his stronger Islington dna. 🙂

I think I’m going to watch Sevilla v Man City.
    I can’t see much else of interest unless you fancy cheering Erik’s Malmo.

GIE,

I agree with you. Spot on. 🙂

And you might have bugged the Rasper at the same time. Excellent! 😀

Mmm, we can dream. Let’s face it, the local stuff is thin on the ground. Gibbs, Jenks and Jack

I’ll see what’s on telly first

Chas,

I agree with you too – who is that pompous git who doesn’t know his past, present and future tenses — no wonder my French is bollix. 🙂

And as for Belli Button being French (did you see the segue there) that Micky Delight is obviously in need of some Spanish Fly! 😀

52. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry Micky got waylaid, I think he needs some, i knew there were a few but when you see it like that, he must be a glass man

Mr Wenger said;

‘Are we ready to for Lewandovski, Robben and Muller? I think yes!’

Are Bayern ready for Debouchy, Iwobi and Campbell? I think no!’

He is right. we are going to outclass them. 😀

Are Bayern ready for Debouchy, Iwobi and Campbell? I think no!

MUST NOT ROLF

PLMSOL

City one up

2-0 City

micky, you old senile git – Hector is a Barca babe, born and bread in the Catalan capital. French….pssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

I am watching ManU, could be fun

P*ss off, chas, you pedantic t*sser.

yeah, fuck off

do you have any idea how hard it is to blog in a foreign language with a bloody text predictor changing what you typed perfectly and correctly? Don’t give me hard time please

and don’t dare apologizing or I will throw up

Micky,

That comment from Wenger (Iwobi, Debussy etc) was a joke — there is a twitter account called ‘Arsene Knows Best’ and it is hilarious — Chas would know it.

[And why is Eddie so rude to him? Unrequited love?] 😀

Yes, Chas, and don’t give me a good time either – I blog in a foreign language too – and I’m not very good at typing. 😀

I am not really rude to chas, he knows I love him. Just sick of people picking on my typos. And yet so many others type it’s instead of ‘its’, there instead of their and so on and nobody says a thing. Why me?

It’s acceptable where it means ‘it is’ but not as the possessive of ‘it’ – as I’m sure you all know 🙂

Eddie

Apologising is with an s not a z

I’m not helping am I?

She is becoming American, LB, where it iz OK. 😀

I jest, of course, I struggle to write what I do in my first language. I speak conversational Spanish, chit chat French and get by Italian but nothing anywhere near your league.

That is a great interview with Hector up there. I am not saying that his head wouldn’t turn if Barça came calling but he is as integrated as integrated can be.

Whereas, Rasper, ‘its’ is a determiner referring to something already mentioned. [Without the comma] – otherwise it’s becoming confusing, whereas it’s does require a comma, unless you stop being lazy and say ‘it is’ – without these commas.

No, it’s no good – I will just have to ask Eddie to explain it to me – because it doesn’t have a comma.

Oh, bollix. 😀

LB,

Not sure you meant me — but you are the one in a different league because, I don’t speak conversational Spanish, don’t chit chat in French and don’t get by in Italian.

And as for Polish — no way — sheesh — I am the dummy here! 😀

G’night All. 🙂

And then he signs off in Australian…..show off.

Not that I am being choosy or anything, Mickish, but what has happened to the Vid Cat Man (aka Chas)? I cannot believe he is being pusillanimous in the face of the wrath of the Dog Girl – can he? 😀

I don’t think the Viking gets up until about 8 a.m. (Euro Time) so he gets a pass. 😀

Randy — Oh, Randy

Consider this your morning call — get up and start the pre-match.

Reddish, are you awake??? 🙂

Harasho. Yesli vam nie nravitsya kak ja peeshoo pa angleesky , tak ya boodoo peesat pa rooskee

RA. Will do 🙂

Just been enjoying reading and watching last nights comments

Eddie,

I guess you are saying you can speak Polish, English and Russian.

Or not! 🙂

Tickle me tackle – now the Surfin’ Dude has disappeared.

It’s a beeg day a fairy beeg day ve had some Deutchers to play and beat – no shilly shallying – move your buts and come talk, nicht var? 😀

RA -niet 🙂 I said that if you don’t like my English, I will write in Russian

John Terry denies there is a problem in the dressing room
    Cesc denies he is the gang leader plotting against Jose
    Jose denies there is anything wrong at the Bridge at all

Too much denying for my liking 🙂 Nice to see they are sweating

Well I wasn’t far off, Eddie. 🙂 But if you don’t like my Polish I will write in English!

You do realise that Chasser was not ‘picking on you’ — that is not his style – he was being humorous and he only does that to people he likes!

Myself? I was borne and bread in a sandwich. 😀

Eddie,

Shakespeare, a well known American playwright, of course, 🙂 had a saying that covers the Chelsea ‘no problem’ problem – he said “The lady doth protest too much, methinks” — no idea what the hell he meant – but that’s Shakespeare for you – talks rubbish! 😀

Shakespeare didn’t write his works, it was an anonymous aristocrat friend of his

Yep, those bitches at the Bridge are yapping too much

86. Red Arnie says:

Motning all. OK, two weeks of hectic travels and I am back. In time for Bayern away as well. COYG. 🙂

I see that life on AA has been fine while I was on sabbatical. Some fantastic posts, only getting to the comments now. Micky, Redders and the lot in fine form, and the Steve rant was just brilliant! 🙂

Good also to find Ant posted a picture of mine, and Raddy remembered me. 🙂

But back to business. MWG? 😛 COYG. 🙂

You are correct, Eddie, Shakespeare did not write nothin’ – he got his mate Olde Viking Raddisher to bash out some stuff and passed it off as a pre-match forecast of the fight between the native Americans and the 7th Cavalry, and gave it a spurious percentage rating — I told you it was rubbish — unlike his great grandson Erik the Red who knows his stuff! 🙂

The 7th Cavalry will fight a valiant draw! 😀

Morning, Arnie, 🙂

Welcome back.

89. Red Arnie says:

motning Redders, motning Evonne. 🙂

I have to go, Arnie, but there’s trouble at t’Mill – no Micky, no Chas, no cats and Dandy is late getting up – but luckily Eddie is here – otherwise disaster!!

All the best. 🙂

91. Red Arnie says:

Redders. what you mean is that this is teh perfect time to sneak in some Indian classical music. 😛 will do. on duty from today. 🙂

eddie has to go, busy day ta-ra

94. Disgraceful slurs being cast upon The Bard of Avon. Of course he wrote all those masterpieces himself. I know because I’ve been to Stratford and seen the Biro he used to write A midsummer Night’s Dream. So there!

Morning all

not much time but jack’s centre of gravity is his main problem, not where he plays or his best position. Those ankles have already taken a fair pasting and I am concerned for him that he doesn’t end up on the list of injury prone players.

On to tonight.Well miracles can happen but I just don’t see us being able to contain BM who will target our right side.
    A win and nothing else will give us a chance of qualification to the knockout stages, and even that is no way assured.. That’s all from me, Mr Doom 😉

Anyone got a headline for my post – I am struggling

Who do you think you are kidding, Guardiola?

98. “Arsenal to Munchen Bayern” Pun, Munchen = Munch on, geddit?

NG. 😀

Surprised you boys didn’t come up with 2 world wars and one world cup!

chas. I have one of those pics in the post!

Where Gunners Dare
    or
    Ve ist comen fuhr ze womenbuxomfolkenfraus

“Can we repeat 1945 tonight?” 😆 only joking

So raddy didn’t see your comment ☺

I was going to say ‘Don’t mention the war’ after Gabriel’s quote. 🙂

I can’t even spell sorry

Look here Fritz, you can lock your daughters in Colditz, but we will break in

This one, BR?

Eddie
    Your spelling is great.

I will take Micky’s though the others have merit

A present for everyone’s missus?

Morning all,

Kelsey, a draw tonight will put qualification back in our hands – it’s not a MWG, it’s a MWODG 🙂

chas @ 9:20, nice jug(s)

F*ck me — I had to go and all the little mices scurry out to eat the cheese to celebrate – even Chas the Bread. Bollix! 😀

Have to be gone, again. 🙂

Which one Erik?
    The one with the mild wwii reference or the better one 🙂

Stand Und Deliver – Raddy. With women like that one’s mind idly turns to double entendres – don’t they? 🙂

116. Le Coq Monster says:

Neuer has only got one ball, Muller has two but very small, Ralfinha has something similar, but poor old Lewandowski has no balls at all !.

There is a New Post

I went into Colditz when I had a German girlfriend for a week, to stop her breaking in – never keen on hairy armpits! That rules most of you lot out as well. 🙂