Explained …. why Arsenal are seldom lucky, but often unlucky

There has been an ongoing debate on this site over the role ‘luck’ plays in the outcome of Arsenal’s games.

I seem to be a lone voice as I refuse to accept the ‘luck explanation’ when things don’t go our way. Luck is not a mathematical term it is a human superstition, an emotional response we use to explain an event that didn’t go the expected way – or more accurately the way we would have liked it to go.

The basic mathematics cannot be ignored. The larger the test sample the more accurate the result – hence the oft repeated statement that over 38 games everything evens out and the best team wins the Premier League. This is tantamount to saying that luck has nothing to do with it.

If we lose we often comfort ourselves by saying we were ‘unlucky’ because of the choice of referee, or several of our shots have hit the post, or the opposition striker’s shot took a deflection to beat the keeper as happened against Everton etc etc. If we win it is because we play superb football. Well I subscribe to the latter theory but do not accept the former.

I use the word luck as we all do – as a colloquialism. Watching your team play football is an emotional rollercoaster and we all say and do things in the heat of the moment that perhaps we may not really believe in hindsight.

Mathematicians will calculate random variation and can define probability. These are proven formulae that have nothing to do with luck. Since luck as a definition has no mathematical basis it has to be discounted when analysing outcomes. The club does not employ a ‘luck coach’, instead we spend millions investing in analytical technology that will give us the information that will maximise performance. We don’t send the players onto the pitch with a lucky rabbit’s foot down their shorts (not so lucky for the rabbit!) we send them out with a tracker that records their every movement.

What the management and the players have to do is to prepare and deliver in matches in such a way that the random element we like to call luck is less likely to affect the outcome. Often this will come down to ‘fine margins’ as chas has observed – and that is where the art of winning lies (if winning is all you desire) It is in setting the team up in a way that means that the fine margins will go your way more often than not. That involves everything from selecting the players and the manager, training, coaching and match preparation, to the performance on the day.

I think it is pretty obvious that playing fabulous football ranks right up there with ‘just winning’ in Arsene’s priorities, and I applaud him for that.

Even so, Arsene Wenger’s win record is the best in Arsenal’s history (I’m sure GN5 can produce statistics to prove this) – is he a lucky manager or a very good manager? The answer is obvious, I don’t need to trot out the Arnold Palmer quote to reinforce the point.

So by all means let’s all believe in luck when it helps us deal with things we don’t want to accept, but let’s not fool ourselves, luck has nothing to do with it.

Rasp

106 Responses to Explained …. why Arsenal are seldom lucky, but often unlucky

What a lovely Post, Grasper. 🙂

I confess to being surprised that you refute the whole existence of luck, as many moons ago, I seem to recall we had a similar conversation about luck and I thought you were a protagonist for its existence.

Must have been an interesting an entirely pointless chat. 🙂

Hi Redders, luck exists in all of our minds and I use the word regularly, I’m just not comfortable with the idea that it is an explanation for a poor result when other areas could be examined

I am a little pushed for time, but your well thought out and cleverly presented argument luckily arrives as I have 5 minutes to spare. Oops – did I just use the term luck? 🙂

One of the things I remember saying was that it is difficult to discuss the pros and cons of luck without everyone agreeing its definition, and your ‘definition’ above relies on saying what it is not.

Having rejected the notion that luck has any connection with mathematics I think you might need to review what you mean by luck as the commonly accepted definition is that luck is – the rationale for explaining the success or failure of something which seems to be brought about by chance rather than through a distinct action.

Umm – that in itself needs to be reviewed as we would need to understand what is meant by ‘chance’ which can be doing something by accident or without intending to do it (a deflected goal) or the possibility of something happening, (winning the lottery).

That then draws in the mathematical quotient, which you refer to and then dismiss, which can be calculated by the law of probability which shows the probability of an outcome which can be realized via several distinct events.

In brief, luck is an intangibility that nevertheless can be calculated, and therefore does have a mathematical aspect and as such is not a figment of the imagination or a form of superstition.

There are many self proclaimed authors of the adage, “the harder I practise the luckier I get’, and the reason for that is the acceptance that luck plays a large part in human events, even though people may struggle to explain it.

Well done for your intriguing Post, Rasper, but I respectfully disagree with your contention. 😀

Thanks Redders, we will have to agree to disagree, “luck is an intangibility that nevertheless can be calculated” – I think you are referring to probability that can be calculated …. luck has nothing to do with it 🙂

5. PV4 says:

Luckily, we have an intelligent, astute and insightful manager. In my mind, you create your own ‘luck’ in life. Is it an emotion, a feeling, a direct result of an outcome? Who knows – but I consider myself lucky to have supported Arsenal for the past 46 years.

Great comment PV4, I agree entirely 😀

7. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning, Rasper, you certainly pulled that one out of the Rabbit hole, As for Rabbits and Lucky Rabbit feet, not lucky for the poor Rabbit or are we dismissing luck and it just a killing thing.

I believe in luck, a lot of people make their own luck, why would we have rich and poor sick and healthy if it wasn’t down to luck, Identical twins one gets cancer and one doesn’t, is that because one ate something different from the other or just plain luck,

On the field of play, two incidents where penalties are called for one up one end and one down the other same referee same fouls one given one not, luck or bad refereeing take your pick one supporter happy one not.

Guy takes 3 shots throughout a game all hit the woodwork, if the guy practiced to hit the woodwork one in ten would luck or lack of skill. two men fall off a high building one dies instantly on landing the other lives to tell the tale luck or what.

I have heard many times how the best team wins in the end, utter rubbish when the leagues are run by corruption, all this swings and roundabouts where it all evens up at the end of the day. I don’t believe it as i don’t think its ever even.

In football people make mistakes Players Managers Referee’s all do, a mistake is not rectified at the end of a season, but mistakes lose you games, Its not easy refereeing Managing and playing, so most of the time its down to luck.

A player never knows from one game to another what form he will be in for the game, he may train all week and be brilliant, come match day he cant hit a barn door, why, luck or over trained who knows, but Rasper my old mate, never diss the word Luck, you never know when you might need it.

Be lucky. 🙂

Hi Steve, the answers to all your points are in the post.

We all believe in luck – it is the common religion of the optimist/pessimist.

In terms of the sort of random events you list in football matches, most can be negated by preparation or reaction during the game. You’ve actually answered your own point by suggesting that corruption is affecting outcomes … that is not luck, it’s human intervention.

9. LUCK CAN MANIFEST ITSELF IN MANY WAYS, INCLUDING OF COURSE INJURIES. WE HAVE BEEN VERY UNLUCKY IN THIS DEPT. FOR MANY YEARS, AND CONTINUE TO BE SO.
    WE HAVE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO BE CHAMPIONS THIS YEAR AND LUCK OR BAD LUCK MIGHT WELL DETERMINE THE OUTCOME OF THE PREMIERSHIP RACE.

Hi Martin, you discount the effect that training, diet, games played, style of play, fatigue and many other factors play in the probability of players suffering injury. Most observers believe that Jack Wilshere suffers more impact injuries because his style of play invites tackles and he himself gets stuck in. This is something that can be worked on.

Impact injuries are random and cannot be legislated against but strains and other soft tissue injuries are far more complex in origin.

Arsene has acknowledged this and reshuffled our medical team in response.

Great stuff Rasp. This should get the biggest brains to flex their muscles

Talking of whom, I was about to say how much trouble you will land us in as The American will be heading for his very biggest book of formulas

Looks like I’m too late 🙂

My feelings are that people even thinking about luck, destiny and all that, simply have too much time on their hands and I really haven’t a clue about either

Not saying I’m always busy, but when I do start to think about luck, I just fizzle out what’s the pointing

Hi micky, it’s my calculator Vs Redders’ thesaurus 😆

14. ‘mornig all, Luck exists, I’m sure of that.

One only needs to take a look at Redders’ comment posted at 10.40. He starts by saying he has only five minutes to spare, that is lucky for us, otherwise the comment would have been two or even three times as long and four times as convoluted :D.

Luckily for me, his five minutes have expired so he’s not around to read my comment and take me endlessly to task for being disrespectful. 😀

15. Dick Swiveller says:

Luck is definitely more down to perception than anything else, but the element of chance that cannot be controlled is definitely real too, slight gust of wind taking a ball away from a keeper’s fingertip, a small divot diverting the ball on a course it wouldn’t have otherwise followed.

You touched on statistics and that is how you ‘make your own luck’, if you hit 2 good shots then a good keeper might save them, hit 10 good shots and he’ll have to be having the game of his life to be keeping them all out.

Micky, the point I am trying to get across is that its fine for all of us to blame luck when it suits – but the club has to be more professional.

Can you imagine any CEO getting up in front of shareholders at an AGM seeking to explain poor performance with the words “We were unlucky”. His arse would be out the door pronto! 😛

17. ……But seriously, am I unlucky to live on a meagre pension one hundred and fifty miles from the Emirates and unable to afford the price of a ticket and associated expenses. Or am I lucky that I didn’t have a front row seat for Saturday evening’s game and get soaked to the skin, catch pneumonia and snuff it.

Rasp
    Good point

“its fine for all of us to blame luck when it suits”. I hope you are not having a go at Erik there 🙂

Quite like Dick lobbing divots and puffs of wind into the equation

I feel a U-turn coming on 🙂

Don’t want to come over all heavy, but luck at birth is a biggie

No need to go deep here, but fed and healthy, loved and homed, are pretty massive and elevates you immediately into top 10% of planet

Right, back to The Ox, and his terrible bad luck 🙂

Rasp. It will come as no surprise to you that I disagree. I am a firm believer in luck/karma/ destiny etc.

We could have a similar discussion about the existence of God. Some believe, some don’t. Some use logic to “prove” non-existence, some argue that “logic” is the reason why the non-believers cannot believe.

Where I do agree with you is that hard work and dedication improves the chances of success.

ha ha ha
    We love you Erik, we do
    We love you Erik, we do
    Oh Erik…….

NG. You are both lucky and unlucky.

As are we all 🙂

Didit.

I love you more…..

Hasn’t Jose done anything stupid yet this morning? Come on Jose we need something to laugh about.

There is obviously a great deal of truth in what you say Rasp, was Giroud unlucky to hit the bar on Saturday or was it slightly misplaced shot? I agree with you when you point to the latter.

But as Micky says those divots and puffs of wind can’t stop themselves finding a way into the equation.

🙂 happy days

Hii Raddy, I too believe in karma and luck in a spiritual sense.

This is the problem. Spiritual belief can never have any underlying science and is peculiar to the individual. Running a business/football team is a process reliant upon human beings, their decisions and actions.

LB
    Saw what you said about Ollie, and I agree
    I’m backing off
    Thing is, and you’ll agree, two seasons ago I commented on here how his fake hurting, even going off for “treatment”, would one day cost us, to say nothing of the bad image. I’m with you, that the arrival of Sanchez has had the effect of him reviewing his attitude.

28. Shard says:

I probably shouldn’t be touching this one with a 10 foot pole after the argument we had last time (when I didn’t think we even completely disagreed) but here goes nothing.

As RA says, it is about defining ‘luck. Now from a purely abstract sense, you may be correct. But the macro view doesn’t invalidate the micro view. Arsenal can be deemed unlucky in a specific instance or match, even if that incident is an outlier when taking say 10 seasons together. What can’t be done is to take the micro view and draw a larger conclusion (eg Arsenal are always unlucky) But in itself that micro view is valid.

Also, I don’t agree that if the outcome is a result of corruption, Arsenal cannot be deemed unlucky. This again comes back to definition, but when I use the term, I mean that realistically (not mathematically) Arsenal could not be expected to affect a different outcome. The reason may be referee corruption or incompetence, but purely from Arsenal’s view of things, they were unlucky since it was out of their hands (unless they start scoring from 100% of their shots and controlling 85% possession. A mathematical possibility, but not realistic)

Hi LB. Of course a shot that hits the bar or post will be seen as unlucky by most, but as you say, actually the shooter failed to get the trajectory exactly right – therefore nothing to do with luck.

If the ball bobbles on a divot before he shoots and he misses, you could say he was unlucky – but equally if it bobbles and he kicks it in a way different to the intended and he scores presumably he is lucky.

The guy who scores the deflected goal is deemed lucky and the defender who deflects it is labelled unlucky. It is random and will equal itself out over time.

30. Shard says:

Sorry, got to go. Desperately need a haircut, and then heading to rehab. Back later.

Hi Shard, I was afraid someone would plunge the debate into a discussion on semantics 😦

I think we all know what is generally accepted as the meaning of the word luck. The debate is about when it is appropriate to use it in relation to the outcome of a football match.

32. Shard says:

Rasp

Semantics are important. I think I said when it is appropriate to use in a match and when it isn’t. You seem to say that because it should even itself out statistically, the individual instance is invalid.

By that notion, a defender who scores his only goal in a cup final actually never really scored because it is a statistical outlier. 🙂

laterrrrrrrrr

Shard @ 12:07, please don’t go down the ‘I will steer the discussion in a different direction because I am not winning my point’ route.

Everything is an individual instance. This makes no sense …… “a defender who scores his only goal in a cup final actually never really scored because it is a statistical outlier”

Somewhere out there, there must be a luck heatmap, which would be helpful. I appreciate it would make as much sense as the wordy luck graph from this morning (ie none whatsoever), but it would add much needed colour to the comments section

Rasp
    My steering is pretty dreadful 😦

So Raddy tells me Micky ….. are we talking about foreign hire vehicles, surf boards or bicycles here 😆

Just back – coffee – then off again, but time for a couple of points.

1. reading the comments it seems the old problem of lack of definition is rampant, again. Everyone is agreeing with the word ‘luck’ there seems to be a laissé faire about what each means – a bit of this – a bit of that – anything goes, making debate wonderful, because everyone can win.

2. Shard has a point, reflecting the above. He is pointing out an inconsistency, and Rasper is trying to cry foul because ……

3. Definition of ‘tangible’ something perceptible to touch – ‘intangible’ is something not perceptible to touch. An idea, or ‘luck’ is intangible, Micky’s millions are tangible.

4. Rasper claims that it is his ‘calculator’ v my thesaurus — that of course is an inconsistency – he previously denied that there is any calculation or maths involved in luck. [And he has the nerve to smack your hand, Shard.] :-0

5. Red Erik — I am afraid luck has nothing to do with the Kama Sutra – only a big knob helps there. 😀

See you on the monkey puzzle tree.

Thanks Redders. I am happy to agree to disagree with you and with Shard 🙂

Sometimes what should be a healthy yet light hearted debate is turned into an ‘I’m cleverer than you competition’ and that puts some bloggers off.

Most respondents understand what I am saying without the need for forensic investigation of the terminology involved and are happy to debate on that level.

RA. The luck part of practising the Kama Sutra is finding a partner willing to experiment without having to pay her/him.

Anyone not working at the moment should watch the cricket. England are 9 down with 8.5 overs to go. It will be a miracle if we get a draw – but you never know. Lady Luck and all that 😆

Hmmm, well I sure put the kibosh on the cricket 😦

Rasp
    “sometimes a debate is turned into an ‘I’m cleverer than you competition’ ”

This is where you are so lucky. You have people like Me and Erik always prepared to step in and lower the bar

Rasp,

Back for lunch to find the tone has changed.

I admit that I had reservations about commenting today when I saw the topic, but because it was you and a very well argued Post I thought I would give it a try as I had a few minutes here and there.

What a mistake. Now you are claiming I am spoiling it for all the other bloggers, despite there being a distinct lack of clever cloggery, and all I have done is argue that you are wrong.
    Oh, damn – that’s where I went wrong!

I recant my earlier position — you are obviously correct after all in your attempt to remove ‘luck’ from the lexicon of all English speaking people – and I think you should contact the OED and demand its instant removal.

My apologies, I am more than happy to ‘f’ off and let others enjoy the debate, but there was no need to resort to accusing me of ‘clever clogs’ stuff – altho I am at fault too for being so stupid as to try and take part in the discussion.

Redders, why are you taking this so personally? At no point have I tried to stop people using the word lucky – read the post again, it’s not as contentious as you may think 🙂

Excellent post, Rasp

22 galoots kicking a pig’s bladder around a field and there’s no luck involved. Leave it out. 🙂

Bar successfully lowered to subterranean levels.

Out and about so can’t comment properly. Back later.

RA,

Sounds like you have you been a naughty boy and teacher has told you to go and stand in the corner.

Or were you just unlucky in your choice of words?

Knowing my luck I should have said nothing.

48. stevepalmer1 says:

Luck is a magic word, guy hits the bar with a fierce shot, he feels unlucky, but the goal y feels very lucky, i sometimes feel that luck could be divided equally one side lucky and one unlucky.

When i was young me and my mate used to hunt crumpit, he always seemed luckier than me, he used to get his way and mine was the good girl. I used to think perhaps he had better looks but really i felt i was just unlucky. We picked up two girls one night and i got lucky but so did he, trouble was he had an itch after and i didn’t of course luck came into it, as he got great medication and the itch was cured while i kept waiting for the itch to appear. As Luck had it it didn’t so i deemed myself lucky, My mate of course now felt safer, the medicine worked. He said how lucky is that and now i know it works who knows. The word luck and bad luck happens in quick successions at times, is that good or bad.

49. Le Coq Monster says:

Thank you Rasp !……..I don’t know about luck, but you certainly jinxed the Cricket you bastard !. hahaha
    Luck is probably connected to all the other non scientific anomaly`s like Jinx, Hex, Hoodoo and Superstition !……….lets face it, Arsenal only won the FA Cup in the last 2 years due to my superstitious 4 mile run, nothing to do with luck !…..and the good news is ……..I`ve done 3 more superstitious runs this season !….. so there will be another trophy this season !
    You can all thank me later in the year !.

My mate Dodgy (Dodgy Obese Dirty Greasy Yob …….Dodgy for short ) Dave, always calls me a lucky bastard when I pull a cracker in the night club and bemoans his bad luck !. I then have to explain to Dodgy that I am not lucky and that it`s down to DNA, Genetics, exercise, a clean life style, a Giroud hair style and nothing to do with that I have a four leaf clover and a black kitten stuck down my trousers on the dance floor !…….and then have to explain why he doesn’t pull and why he`s called Dodgy !….although I should maybe change his name to….TB………….Thick Bastard !

Thanks Cocky. I’m reforming my opinion as the day progresses and am now at this stage of understanding ……

Luck is a part of every day life, for light hearted use, banter, poetic licence, and for touchy feely stuff.

Luck is not a term for business, future planning, technical matters or decision making 🙂

51. Le Coq Monster says:

It`s funny how there is only one letter difference between the words Luck and F*ck !………………..there`s no L in F*ck !…..although I like to think I give one L of a F*ck………….and there is no F in Luck !………..something Dodgy Dave swears he has !. 😀

Hmmmm, but there’s also only one letter difference from ‘lack’ 😆

Rasp

I completely agree that if every defeat or poor performance is put down to luck, then something is wrong. This doesn’t, however, preclude the fact that the resluts of some games are determined by luck in large part.

‘Everything evens out and the best team wins the league over 38 games’ is tantamount to saying that luck can play a large part in individual games but generally doesn’t over the course of a season. The best teams reduce the effect of luck by being superior to their opponents and in the majority of cases this superiority does lessen the effect of luck.

A shot which is deflected into the net is lucky – saying that if you don’t shoot, you can’t get the deflection doesn’t negate the luck element.

Rooney scoring a goal of the season bicycle kick with his shin is lucky, no two ways about it. He means to play the ball with his boot, miscalculates by several inches but the ball flies in off his shinpad. Luck.

Ospina making a good block against Zagreb only to see the ball ricochet into his net off the Ox is bad luck for the GK.

Referring to the playing of the game of football as another business just like any other doesn’t take into account all of the myriad random events which make up an individual football match. It isn’t an exact science as was perfectly illustrated by Chelsea’s ultra spawny CL campaign in 2012.

I don’t expect you to agree with any of the above and will probably think you’ve already successfully countered the points made.

Definitely a case of agreeing to disagree. 🙂

p.s. I still think it’s an excellent post even if I don’t agree with some of it.

resluts 🙂

chas makes a good point. How could Barkley’s goal be anything but lucky?

RA. I do not understand why you got antsy with Rasp, IMO he is not closing down the discussion nor pointing a finger.

Rasp. You certainly jinxed the cricket. It was going so well then you challenged the Luck gods and it all went TU

Hi chas, thanks for your response. You make very good points.

There are always at least two ways of looking at the same set of circumstances.

If Ospina had held onto the shot instead of allowing it to ricochet off The Ox …. etc

If we think the result of a game is influenced by luck of one kind, it is pretty likely that the opponent’s supporters will consider the result to have been influenced by the opposite kind … if you get my drift. Both sides can’t be right (apologies for the bad English 🙂 ) it is a subjective view.

The myriad random events in a football match you refer to are in fact an example of random probability.

Basically I guess I am saying that wherever a human being is involved in any ‘luck event’ in any capacity be it a player, a manager, the guy who mows the grass, then luck is not the determining factor.

Yea sorry about putting a hex on the cricket Raddy.

At least my jinx on the Arsenal is lifted since we won against Bayern and Everton when I attended. I think you guys should sponsor me to go to games in the future 🙂

This sums it all up …… sing along yourselves 🙂

I have never seen Arsenal lose at the Emirates.

I think it makes far more sense to sponsor me – after all I am clearly a Luckier Charm than you Rasp!

Raddy – are you a fan of Adam Rafferty? If you leave the link above running in the background you will hear much better tracks than Superstition.

Yes, you may be a luckier charm, but its more expensive to ship you in from Denmark – I’m the budget option 🙂

62. Le Coq Monster says:

I`ve always done the lottery lucky dip and won fcuk all !…………..I shall have them under the trades description act unless they change it to the unlucky dip !.

Nice one Rasp

Luck? I dont know?

I remember been in this Faringdon pub a few year back when i spotted some bloke and said out loud “From a peculiar angle that geezer looks like Ken Dodd”

Unfortunately 30 degree Dodd overheard my comment and was soon in my face. “So what do I look like up close you mug?”

Through fear of been on the end of Dodds wrath I quickly answered “Like an untalented 12 years old drawing of Ken Dodd”

It was then that I learned that honesty is not the best policy. Dodd got very angry and proceeded to embarrass me by chasing me round the pub with his tickling stick. I only managed to escape by positioning myself at an obtuse angle, which managed to throw the Pythagoras bent Dodd of my scent

When I got home that night I wondered who was more unlucky? Me? embarrassed and denied a pint, or the unfortunately angled Dodd?

I concluded It was Dodd. So now when we hit the bar or have a shot cleared of the line I always think of Ken Dodd and a perfectly formed right angle

Of course another way to look at is that every time we lose I cite bad luck and when we win that the opponent was lucky it wasnt 5-0

If we do beat someone 5-0, I always say its a fair result

65. Shard says:

Rasp

I was being facetious with the bit about scoring, as I thought the smiley would show.

I’m not turning this into a brain/dick measuring contest, nor was I steering the conversation in any way than felt natural. Like RA said, there is an inconsistency in this argument. I’m not sure I’ll be able to explain what I think well enough, and it’s not worth risking a repeat of last time. We’re not in total disagreement, but I’ll let it be and let the conversation carry on without me.

66. Le Coq Monster says:

Ahh !……..the brain/dick measuring contest !………there is a correlation of the brain dick theory in that the average sized mans dick is the same length as the average brain !. So women are right to joke that a mans brains are in his trousers !……………………………………………………………………….took a while to write this comment due to the time wasted looking at my trousers !………….cant understand why my missus calls me big head !.

maurinho charged by the FA again ha ha ha bloody ha

I am sorry Rasp but I read the post twice and I am still not sure what is the conclusion? Are you saying that luck is all it takes to win or visa versa? Me is thick tonight

Football is all about mathematics, that is one of the reasons I love it. Lengths, angles, speed, precision, power, minutes, goal difference, players’ numbers…..the list goes on. However, if pure mathematics could be applied to football we would be watching a fecking boring game.

Thankfully a broad spectrum of events (such as referees, poor weather, great save from the opposition, Diego Costa) called ‘luck’ or its absence are the spanner in the works and turn pure maths into something that cannot be measured by even most complicated algorithm.

Some say that life is what God does to our plans, I say luck is what happens to mathematics in football, clever, ey 🙂

You is spot on Eddie! 🙂

BR,

I read that you did not know why I was being antsy with Rasp (you going all American – who could you have got that from?) or that I had any reason to do so.
    So that’s OK then.

Whenever I get pissed off, in future, I will check to see if it is OK with you first.

Nice to see you back on form Redders – I’m a fan of yours, look at the lovely banner I made you 🙂
    Eddie, I’m sorry you didn’t get the message of the post – there is an introduction, an analysis and a conclusion so I’m not sure what more I could have done 😕

draw a picture ?

“I say luck is what happens to mathematics in football”

Ooo, I say, THAT is gooood

FFS Rasp, quick, give RA a cuddle

Then publish the selfie 🙂

Just looking for exciting players who may make the line up tomorrow
    and three things
    Many on loan
    No sign of Jeff in first squad or academy
    We have a player called Chatzitheodoridis. Ain’t gonna fit that on a sprog sized shirt

’till dawn. Nite

Yep, Barkley’s goal — luck is the only way of explaining it.

I give up on you lot 🙂

If the Everton supporters think Barkley’s goal is good luck and we think it’s bad luck, there is one thing everyone agrees on – it was lucky. Both sets of fans are right’ as both agree it was lucky. 🙂

But actually it was neither, the goal was created by Gabriel getting his leg across to block the shot too slowly – therefore no luck involved, it was human error 🙂

Rasp,

I think you are struggling – it’s time to capitulate.

You can be as slippery as one of your slipperiest koi, but it was a good Post, as I said at the beginning. 👍 (and that is just a raised thumb, and not one of Terry’s thingies).

I cannot keep my eyes open, so nite all. 👀

And sod all the cats! 🐭

Bad luck for Reina

😆 GiE, I wrote some months ago that the ball that deflected off the balloon into Liverpool’s goal was truly unlucky … no denying that one!

84. Le Coq Monster says:

What has Rasp been drinking before the last two games ?

85. Le Coq Monster says:

Some may think he is a lucky bastard !……………….or he may just be a rich bastard !.

86. Le Coq Monster says:

This backs up Rasp !…..a badly placed shot !.

87. Le Coq Monster says:

I suppose the most obvious thing everyone has missed out is…………. why do football clubs have lucky mascots ?

Just out of shot is a beach ball which Arsene insists is used in training in case a stray one ends up on the pitch. The ball has cannoned off the beach ball but Cech still gets to it with ease.
    Planning – that’s all. 🙂

Morning to the cat, mouse and dog club members.

😈 😼 🐱 🐕 🐩

Chas @ 7:12

You cannot trump that. 🙂

I think that guy in chas’ 7:12 is that eccentric Victorian millionaire who had the world’s largest collection of stuffed animals – I can’t google him on my phone

7.12 Albert Memorial in the background – one of my favourite monuments.

Is it possible to ride a zebra? I haven’t seen it done yet we can ride a donkey, a mule, horse, camel etc

Just realised we are playing tonight which means I will have to delay the start of my working day to write something for you chaps. Mmmmmm.

funny that chas, I am doing my head trying to buy these toys for my little sweetie and no luck, cannot get anything good quality I decent size 😦 May have to import from Russia

oooh Raddy, did you really forget? Match day and you forgot?? unlucky 🙂

Umm, there are as it happens two 7:12s from the prolific Chas.

I cannot believe the first one is of two stuffed humings. 🙂

This is the guy … he’s Walter Rothschild, 2nd Baron Rothschild

Zebras are genuine wild animals that run from danger which can be a noise or a dog or …… anything.

Attempts to domesticate them never work – altho in the Victorian era there were people who tried to do so, and got bitten as they are as likely to attack humans as not.

Taxonomy isn’t always successful 😕