Plan A, Plan B, Plan C … A Plan For All Seasons?

The Bayern game and GIE’s comments, used as the third part of the triple post yesterday, got me to thinking. It left me with a question, that being should our holy grail be that we be aiming towards playing at the level of possession and passing football that Guardiola’s Bayern (and Barca before) do, or do we have a team that can adapt and play differently, according to the opposition, and still be equally effective and successful?

Two great sides with a reputation for attacking football both with world class dangerous attacking players met the other night. I do ask myself what would happen if we were to play Guardiola’s side 10 times in succession, them playing their game and us adapting to a solid defensive base counter-attacking game? Would it come out 50-50 over those games or is their style superior enough to limit us to 1-2 wins over those games and this just happened to be one of them?

Looking at Guardiola’s sides I get the feeling they don’t have a plan B, that they just play their same style of football regardless, and mostly to high effect it has to be said. Not having a plan B is a criticism that has been aimed at Arsenal and Wenger over many years. I would certainly say that in the recent past there have been games that cried out for a tactical change to our normal style, and failure to do so has cost us.

The tactical changes and adaptability that GIE highlighted over our last 3 games have been very refreshing. This is of course only relevant moving forwards if we continue to do this and don’t revert to a one size fits all playing style at all times. I do historically feel that Wenger has changed from what appeared to be working formulas before back to his utopian style of football, often to our detriment.

The bigger questions for me though is which option do we settle with?

Option1 :

Should we be aiming to emulate Guardiola’s type of football in the long run? To have such a prolific plan A style of football that tactical considerations need only be minimal. If the answer to this (in your opinion) is yes then it also begs the question of how does Arsene take us to this level, and is it actually attainable within the framework of the EPL?

Option2

If you feel the other option, the one we have seen recently, that we have a prolific attacking team that can adapt its type of play, at times even surrendering the possession and passing football stats to a team like Munich, but still remain as competitive and dangerous as them in head to head games, then are we where we need to be (albeit possibly with a couple of upgrades and additions in certain positions)?

Over to you erstwhile A.A’ers, what do you think?

GoonerB

98 Responses to Plan A, Plan B, Plan C … A Plan For All Seasons?

1. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all.
    Very good post GB, I was thinking on the same lines, but all would say that after a very good post wouldn’t they. ๐Ÿ™‚

I do feel we were being picked out in previous seasons, as we seemed to play the same each week with the bigger percentage of possession, That in itself made teams park the proverbial Bus. We also attracted the up and under to try and catch our defenders out and sure enough it did at times.

Wenger seemed to be saying to the league, this is the way we play, beat us if you can. I felt the bigger teams would do just that, as they could afford the best players money could buy give or take a couple. And i did feel that that was the problem we were having, we usually beat the lower sides but the clubs with the players hurt us badly.

I felt it took Mr Wenger an age before he grasped the situation, where we used to come out from the back fast and pressurise, Once Merts came into the side, i felt we slowed our attack down with many sideways and backward passing, our goalkeeper i felt was being utilised as part of the back line and still is to some degree.

Petr Cech’s arrival is now beginning to make a difference as where every ball was rolled out from the back he seems to like a hoof up field a bit like what teams did to us. I feel this has opened us up slightly and we seem to move together and attacks have started to be more penetrating.

A good point you made was ABC plans, the differences has been a revelation, Our game against United where we kept close control fast attacking football our passing was second to none and of course the 3 goals also keeping resilient at the back.

Bayern’s Match, we parked the bus. Wenger knew this team could move the ball around, top defenders top forwards and a great Keeper, i felt that Mr Wenger was wondering if we could play the same game as them, but thought better of it. I feel Bayern felt we would as well, but the bus came out and what a bus it proved to be, Bayern struggled like we have in the past, pushing to the edge of the box and then passing all the way back to the half way line, they in all honesty were stymied.

What we had in that game was a lightening fast CF with also fast wing backs, Sanchez as well has shown pace and that gave us the edge a few times, we should in all honesty scored more goals of that there is no question, but the two we got was enough on the night.

ABC plans can work of that i am sure, the trick is not letting your opponents know what plan you have in action. The biggest question is can we change systems while playing, and when we can we will be a force to win things

2. Vijay says:

I feel Wenger gets more slack for his methods. Yes it’s true that we didn’t win many games because of our attacking Football. I have heard so many current and ex-Players saying that Wenger likes his Team to find the tactical Solutions during the game. But the fact that everytime our back is against the wall we produce a excellent spell of games and that’s when I guess Wenger Shows up his class. Asking your Players to find a tactical solution during a game will work only when we have a strong leader which the Team has lacked for a very Long time. Now we have Per and Santi in the middle to guide the Young heads. and to know that your Manager will back you up and make sure that your mistakes will be covered by him by the end of the season makes them stronger each game on the tactical front. I mean look at the way Bellerin stole the ball to set up the last Goal. You can do that only when you have confindence. Let’s praise Wenger for creating leaders on the pitch.

3. Ian Byrne says:

Fantastic headline – very good!

no brainer. flexibility is key to a successful life. that is why I failed ๐Ÿ™‚

thanks GB, very good post and interesting questions.
    I definitely think that adapting and the ability to adapt to what is thrown at you is the skill of the highest order, on and off the pitch. We played 3 different styles in 3 challenging games and won all of them!!! How awesome is that? Beyond belief my friend, and long may it last

5. Ajinkya says:

Option 2. But we still need to improve and prove ourselves regularly against such opponents. Also, a more urgent need is to play our regular game with a greater urgency and focus against teams such as Zagreb, et all.

6. signorwinter says:

I think Wenger once mentioned, or perhaps it was some other manager, that if Plan A was good enough, there’s no need for Plan B.

That doesn’t cut ice anymore, because teams have always evolved their play and formation, take that solid Italian defense and sucker punch solitary goal of the 80s. It won’t work today.

At the same time though, it would be boring for fans to see simply pragmatic football all the time. Let’s face it, fans don’t watch football to see teams win, because you gain nothing at the end. The team is the one which wins the trophies, gets the paycheck and basks in the fame. Fans watch football because it is entertaining, win or lose. And playing pragmatic football all the time would defeat that purpose.

That being said, Arsenal didn’t park the bus last night, and it was certainly entertaining. So flexibility can be joined with flashy football.

Welcome to Vijay, Ajinkya and signorwinter – you all make good points.

As all the pundits keep reminding us – what we lack is consistency. We can be breathtaking one week and labour the next.

I think it is clear that Arsene now knows his best 11, the trick now is to tweak the team selection (not too many changes) and tactics to beat a given opponent and keep the players fresh.

Thanks for the comments guys. Off for a while so will say my (extra) bit now.

I am leaning towards option 2. My reasoning is that I am just not sure that the style of pure plan A football that Guardiola has managed to implement at Barca and now Bayern is able to be replicated in the EPL. I just wonder if the pace, physicality and leniency of the ref’s (which makes it exciting no doubt) allows for a team to develop towards this style of football.

I think with Arsenal we can become (if we aren’t already) the best exponents of the slick passing movement game, but that there will be a couple of occasions, normally at the high end in Europe like with Bayern, where we need to concede slightly on that front, adapt tactically but in a way that keeps us on a 50-50 footing with as much chance of winning the game.

The key statistical areas of shots taken, shots on goal, and clear cut chances we weren’t inferior in, so possibly we don’t need to overly worry about the discrepancy in the possession and passing stats.

While we did execute the plan really well, there was still room for significant improvement IMO, and it will be improving and perfecting this type of game that will see us triumph. My main concern during the game was how often we were clearing our lines with a hoof up-field. This is sometimes needed to provide breathing space and allow us to re-organise but I felt it happened too often with Bayern just re-securing possession and coming straight back at us.

Passing it out quickly through the team when we can is great but not always an option with a high pressing quality team like Bayern, lest we get caught on the ball trying to do this. For me this is where the striker as a target to hit and hold the ball up is critical. Being able to go straight too him immediately by-passes their high pressing players and, if he can hold the ball and look for the deeper runners coming up quickly we can more often and more effectively counter-attack a team of Bayern’s quality.

The problem for me is that I feel we have a half way house in both Walcott and Giroud in this sense. Giroud doesn’t have the natural pace to get to the ball unless it comes directly at him while Theo is not a traditional back to goal hold off defenders type striker and needs to be running into the correct space for the defenders to be able to clip the ball into.

For me Theo still doesn’t offer enough movement in these situations. He offers good movement when we get into their last third but we need this extra movement from him to offer himself as a quick option to our defenders against the best sides. The best strikers like Suarez, Lewandowski and possibly Cavani have both the pace and also the movement and work-rate to offer their team-mates. This is why, for me, until Theo offers this there will always be a better option out there.

I have watched him off the ball in these situations and find he too often strolls / trots around rather than trying to offer himself as an option into the right spaces. If he really wants to show Wenger and the fans that we don’t need someone in the transfer market then he needs to improve this part of his game on a consistent basis. If not then he will only have himself to blame if someone else comes in and he either moves down the pecking order or gets moved to the right again.

Sorry paragraph 3 “we can become the best exponents of the slick pass and movement game in the EPL”.

Hi GoonerB, apologies – forgetting my manners ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the post, a brain teaser if ever there was one.

With the current squad only option 2 will work – and I’m not sure I’d go for option 2 even if we had a squad to equal BM or Barca!

11. Le Coq Monster says:

Thanks, Float like a Butterfly and sting like a GoonerB .

I must admit I am perplexed by this so called simple game. I have not seen the game yet, so I can only go by the BBC`s stats on the match (below) and the possibly biased view of still stuck to the ceiling Gooners…..yes I am one too, but that is still down to us beating the Spuds in the COC !. hahaha
    With stats like below, I would think we were a shade lucky to get a result, being that the first and winning goal was nothing to do with tikka takka or Wengerball, just a Sunday park free kick into the box and the help of dreadful goalkeeping. Had Cech not rescued us on a few occasions we could have been looking at a different fans view of raging rants………although as I have said before, in the long run a loss may have been better for us in our main goal of being Title winners.
    Now to my point about simple football. Everyone can try and make it out that we did a rope a dope display, but lets be honest here, no team of our elite actually lets the opposition have the ball and sit back and hope for a quick counter !……….we have only one thing on our minds when we have the ball and that is to try and keep it `till we can score, not give it to the opposition and hope for a sneaky counter !.
    Bayern were simply the better team (looking at stats) at keeping the ball than us and on another occasion would have wiped the floor with us. If the boot was on the other foot and we had 73% possession, we would have been cursing our luck and why do Goalies always have a worldie against us !.
    You only have to look at the Chavs winning the CL with outrageous luck in the Semi and Final to know that the best team doesn’t always win !
    Great win but fortunate…………may the fortune long continue !.

12. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Nice one GoonerB, for me I don’t think you can look at Barca or Bayern and say we want to play like that every week in the PL, the main reason being the way the rest of the team play.

I’m pretty sure in La Liga fans would leave in their droves of the smaller teams started playing kick and rush, the majority of teams in La Liga prefer ball out from the back pass to feet football, Barca are the best exponents of that coupled with the press. But as I said the other day at 2-0 down most opponents start to accept their fate so the fact that Barca may start tiring after 70monutes or so is not an issue. But it would be in the PL. and that’s what we find, now I believe our style of play is closer to Barca and Bayern than the rest of the EPL, and for the majority of games it gets us wins, and then there are the big games against the nearest rivals.

These are the ones that make or break our season. We seem to have found a way to cope with City in recent seasons, and generally like Bayern they play an attacking game under Pellegrini so will come to play football, I have enjoyed our recent games against them.

United we now know how to beat as it was clearly evidenced.

Chavs….now here is the difficult one….in big games they always play to win by defending first, then hope for the counter attacks, they do not want a straight football match testing their attacking ability. So how do you solve this problem? If you want to win I doubt sitting back will be the answer, as Chavs under Maureen will happily stay in their half if that’s what they’ve been told to do, by sitting back you can probably guarantee a draw, that point is better than none but the three point prize of winning is more significant.

As for the rest of the games we have to play our passing and moving and beating down the brick wall, otherwise I would imagine we’d end up with 19 points from our home games.

13. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Cockie, the difference between us and Chavs is we gave up very little in the box, and only one of Cechs saves came close to being a worldie, but of course the media want to sing the Cech line because it’s actually a twist of the knife over fielding Ospina.

Also before the game Ballack laughed at a question about Lewandoski vs BFG, intimating a no contest, during the game Twitter wanted to declare that Bellerin was being schooled by Costa, neither scored or assisted, Hector on the other hand found himself a nice little assist. The point? Don’t always believe the media.

Cheers, GoonerB, you pish-taking camel worming so-and-so. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Excellent post and some excellent comments.

As usual you know what my answer is already, ‘Leave it to whoever’s manager at the time’. ๐Ÿ™‚

I tend to agree with Coquie.
    Plan C (if that was what Bayern was) would likely have been modified if Alcantra had scored in the 11th minute when clean through.
    It would then be essential the players were able to adapt to the current situation in the game.

I also agree that the way we played would probably not work more than a couple of times out of 10 fixtures against Bayern. Still, it’ll be fun finding out on November 4th at the Allianz. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Le Coq Monster says:

Sounds like great defending GIE and will get to watch it when it actually gets shown on Arsenal Player ( why is it so long to watch a CL game on player when the EPL game is after midnight on match day ? ), but my main point is and it`s got nothing to do with the media, is that we have been a possession team as long as I can remember under Wenger, we don’t give teams the ball and say….here you go, keep it !. We always want the ball and when we come up against “park the buss” teams I should imagine it`s the same for them,…….they want the ball, but just cant get it off of us !.
    A Guardiola team keeps ball and just have to accept that his teams are better at keeping it !.
    If Guardiola ever becomes our manager expect even more possession. Will it bring us success……who knows ?

16. Le Coq Monster says:

Happy Birthday Arsene !………………………………..can you imagine how much fcuking money he gets in his cards !. hahaha

Le Coqie @ 1:31

That is one of the best comments I have read – and from a man who has not seen the game. ๐Ÿ™‚

Plan A and Plan B chat has always left me cold – and I would rather go with Mr Wenger who expects his team of highly skilled players to adjust to conditions or compensate for the circumstances that are changing throughout the game – and that is what the clever use of substitutes is all about too.

As for the game itself, I did see it, and for all the fully deserved praise for the team, and the delight of all the fans, there was a slice of luck involved as there is in all games and Lewandowski could have put a damper on things right at the start of the game when he duffed a good chance to score, and also later when Cech pulled off a great save against him that he would normally have put away – and later yet, he muffed another chance when he tried to earn a penalty from Kozzer when he was one on one with Cech again, instead of putting his foot through the ball and scoring.

That is not to decry a super game and a great performance from Arsenal, but to pretend that we were in control and ‘allowed’ Bayern to have the ball for 73% of the game so that we could counter attack is wishful thinking of the highest order.

We saw things the same way Coqie monster — well I saw it anyway, and you heard it – so that will do. ๐Ÿ˜€

18. Le Coq Monster says:

Thanks chas for attending to agree with me !…………..when you`re down this way let me know and I will supply the pie !………………it will be plural as in pies if you agree with me more !. hahaha

Rasp
    This 180 pixels wide.
    Any good?

20. Le Coq Monster says:

Oops !………………I now owe Redders a pie as well !……………………..at this rate there will be no award winning pies left !. hahaha

Eurgh, player names in bold looks shite.
    I’ll have another go.

22. Le Coq Monster says:

Anyone else thinking of agreeing with me…..well you can fcuk off !.

Plan C?

I agree I can f*ck, Coquie. ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Le Coq Monster says:

I have the boiler service man here at the moment and he said I should bleed the central heating radiators when he`s finished………………….shall I use a knife and stab them ?

26. Le Coq Monster says:

No !……that doesn`t get you a pie !. ๐Ÿ˜€

Again you are right Coq. ๐Ÿ™‚

We did not press the ball when we lost possession, even in our own half, but waited for a mis-pass or interception to get it back, and the number of times we gave the ball away by poor passing or simply being overpowered by Bayern’s athletic pressing game was worrying.

No – we only had possession of the ball for 27% of the game, not thru choice but because we were under the cosh.

The fact we won in those circumstances speaks very highly of the guts and tenacity of the Arsenal, and a fortunate goal off Giroo’s schnoz, and a goal from Mesut that on another day the fifth linesman would not have called as over the line.

It’s football — we lost to Wham and Olympiacos on the day, but 9 times out of 10 we would expect to beat them, because we are better than them, but the same holds true for our win against Bayern – we beat them on the night but even the most optimistic fan must doubt that we will beat them in the return.

We will see — but I happen to be an optimist myself – and I think we will beat them in the return, just like I said we would beat them in the first leg — doesn’t mean I thought we were better than them last Tuesday – but we won. Nuff said. ๐Ÿ™‚

Chas, have you even seen Coq? Terry told me he is no oil painting! ๐Ÿ™‚

“I agree I can f*ck, Coquie.”

29. Le Coq Monster says:

Return the pie Redders as I agree all with you !. ๐Ÿ˜€

30. Le Coq Monster says:

Not your 2:35pm I should add !. hahaha

For clarity, Le Coq Monster, that comment was from Chas @ 2:27 ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, I have seen Coquie and he looks like a cross between David Van Day and Marty Feldman, so not really my type.

Mind you, I haven’t seen him since his Giroud haircut.

Right, I need to let some sensible people comment on this tactical wunderpost. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry, just saw this and thought it worth sharing……..

36. Le Coq Monster says:

Herman Munster, Frankenstein`s Monster, The Elephant Man, Le Coq Monster !……it`s all in the name !….generally, if you have Monster in your name it means you`re an ugly son of a bitch !…………..now after reading that, Eddie Munster will only be pleasantly surprised if she meets me ! hahaha

Eddie Munster`s the one in the middle if you`re not old enough to know !.

Ooooo, and this……..

38. Le Coq Monster says:

Must check up what`s …….”Who are you ? ” ….in German.

39. Le Coq Monster says:

Wer bist du ? wer bist du ? wer bist du ?

Oh dear, I can’t stop.
    This is amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Right, computer off.

Wonderful piece of writing from 7amkickoff posted by chas above … everyone should read it ๐Ÿ™‚

42. A Fish Called Wanda says:

What have you done to my husband, Mr Rasp, have you sold him?

43. A Fish Called Wanda says:

Is it not enough, Mr Rasp, that many of my cousins have been caught and eaten by Steve The Fisherman?

Now I hear you coyly sell fish and my husband has gorn missing.

Aha, I detect a whiff of rouge!

It’s OK Wanda, your husband is blissfully ignorant of his fate as he only has a 6 second memory ๐Ÿ™‚

45. A Fish Called Wanda says:

Wassat? Who’s husband?
    An I mite be a fish but I whiff pretty good – must be that terry bugger youse can detect – garlic was it?

Leave those poor little fish alone, Rasper.

They are just salt of the earth working fish who want a nice life in a good tank and all they want is a bit of grub. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rasp,

Speaking of 7am, have you heard anything from CharyB?

I asked some time ago, and you had heard nothing then, but along with that wonderful font of knowledge, 26M, he seems to have vanished – more’s the pity. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

font = fount

Not lately Redders, I’ll make enquiries and get back to you…….

50. Le Coq Monster says:

Anyone remember this old photo which won an award ?………….and can you name the players ?……and if anyone can name the player hidden behind Raddy`s right leg……oops !, I just gave one away….hahaha……I`ll send the pies !.

51. Le Coq Monster says:

Anyone would think the pressing game was a new tactical invention, but it was Herbert Chapman who invented it !…….so extreme, that even the goalie pressed !……it`s no wonder we were the greatest team of the `30s !.

52. fred1266 says:

i thought about this a while ago when i saw how successful Chelshit was when they implemented it

Brian Kiddd, don’t know, Crerand, Mclintock, Best, Radford, Styles

Don’t have a clue, Coq, except for what LB said – he must be right – oh, and Raddy, cos you said so.

My best guess at the don’t know is George Graham.

It is Manu 1 v Arsenal 0 October 67

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Jim Furnell
    Defender/Midfielder Peter Storey
    Defender/Midfielder Frank McLintock
    Defender/Midfielder Peter Simpson
    Defender/Midfielder Terry Neill
    Defender/Left back Bob McNab
    Centre half Ian Ure
    Midfielder Jon Sammels
    Midfielder George Armstrong
    Forward John Radford
    Forward/Midfielder George Graham

Amazing Ure and Neil are still playing.

Chas would have gone to the game he will know ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think it may be George Graham on the left of Crerand

GG second from the left and behind Raddy’s leg looks like Peter Simpson who wore his shorts high.

I am sure Simpson is proud of that pic ๐Ÿ™‚

No wonder he didn’t win an England cap

I was in Malmo last night to see them beat Shaktar Donetsk 1-0. in the CL

I love going there because it is a small intimate ground with fervent fans.

My next game is PSG and the return of Zlatan to his home club.

Can’t wait.

I had breakfast with Dennis Law in a Little Chef. Dull breaks, dull man.

What did Dennis have for breakfast?

Wasn’t Dennis called ‘Dennis’ after Denis?

Yes he was and Denis has the full English

“You fill up my senses,
    like a gallon of magnet,
    like a packet of woodbines,
    like a good pinch of snuff,
    like a night out in sheffield,
    like a greasy chip butty,
    like sheffield united,
    come thrill me again”

Spuddies lost to Anderlecht.

Maybe ‘Arry needs a job other than columnist.

And with a full first team

Crap manager, liar, tax cheat, illiterate, awful pundit, zero SOH etc etc

No wonder the fool never managed a big club.

69. Le Coq Monster says:

I think LB is right with his players inc` Gorgeous George, but who is behind Raddy`s leg ?……….I`m going to take a stab in the dark and say it is definitely not the mighty Jim Furnell or wee Geordie Armstrong !. ๐Ÿ˜€

70. Le Coq Monster says:

A 1930`s FA Cup game between Arsenal and Barnsley ………………………..GN5 can you name the supporters ?

Love that Sheffield United song.

Chas

I am having a senior moment, if United are wearing red what colour are we wearing?

GB
    Thanks and sorry not to be around for that one, as I am actually developing some quite strong feelings on this subject ๐Ÿ™‚

Cockie

Love that historical kits page. I have the same illustration of them all in an Arsenal book in the downstairs bog. Never did like the yellow in our away kit

If I was going to be a full kit wanker, I’d be looking at 1892A, slicked back hair and waxed tash

8.43 Health and safety would never allow the wooden rattle

I like the 52 Cup Final kit.

What has happened in recent years? The 3rd kits are a total shower of shite.

Morning Erik
    Cant loiter with intent this morning
    Lift here in 10
    Bye

Morning all, thanks for comments yesterday before general chat changed to pies, pilsner, and pussy’s ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy wherever it is you are going Micky. I am sure we can chew the fat on the subject at a later date.

GB – we will. That’s the most exciting revelation in the whole history of the Arsenal. We can change the way we play to beat any team ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

What are we going to do Everton?

81. stevepalmer1 says:

One in Nuts should you need one. Morning all

Like Micky I’m not about much today.

Steve, hope you remembered it’s Friday…. Rant day mate! ๐Ÿ™‚

That’s it, I’m off… will read your post tonight Steve.

83. jmwatkins2014 says:

‘morning all, I’m off out for a walk soon so I can’t wait for the Friday Rant Post. Here’s my offering.

The organisation headed by that great upholder of ethics and integrity Michel Platini, UEFA, are to take action against Manchester City because at Wednesday evening’s Champions League game their fans booed the UEFA theme tune.

UEFA have the nerve to call the piece of music their “Anthem” thus attempting to put it on the same level as God save The Queen and La Marseillaise.

Surely the over-payed bureaucrats who run that organisation would be better off looking into the creative accounting activities of their currently suspended leader than taking such petty minded action over such a trivial incident.

The “Anthem” in question is in fact nothing more than a marketing jingle and a not very good one at that.

Rant over, I’m gone.

84. That bloke has snuck in again and taken my name in vain. ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m having trouble with my internet but will attempt to sort a rant post from Steve Palmer ……….. back in a bit ………………

86. New Post everyone ………………..