The Kids Are Alright….. mostly

Sky Sports had Hector Bellerin as their guest pundit for the Barca/Levante game (ex-Barca). He was very good. Highly intelligent with perfect English, smartly dressed, good looking, GSOH, plus a fine understanding of tactics and how to defend; remarkable for a young man of just 20 who came to England just 4 years ago (have I done a good selling job?)

Plus he has said that his future is at AFC, which is great news.

We have a fine core of young players who seem to be committed to the club with Bellerin being the latest to become a first team regular. Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gabriel, Ramsey, Chambers, Szczesny, Coquelin, Wilshere, Campbell, Welbeck are all under 24 y.o and Walcott, Gibbs, Sanchez and Ozil are all just 26.

Why is this important? Because if (and it is a Big If) Mr Wenger can keep all these players happy and at Arsenal then the future is very rosy. They will grow together as a team, develop understandings both on and off the pitch and hopefully become a major force over the coming few years.

But what of the others? Β Koscielny, Debuchy, Monreal, Cazorla and BFG are all 29 or 30, and Giroud is 28 (still time for improvement!). They all have a couple of years left as squad players but I expect at least a couple of them to be sold next summer.

Mr Wenger is meticulous about having a squad with a blend of ages allowing youthful exuberance to be allied to hard-earned experience.

It was unusual when AW signed a relatively aged 29 y.o. Debuchy – perhaps he knew how good Bellerin would be and bought Debuchy to ease Hector into the first team without too much pressure, though Sagna had just left and we needed a replacement.

Keeping Rosicky (34) was an odd decision unless Mr Wenger expects him to join the coaching staff and wants Tomasz to learn the ropes. Flamini (31)? Must be a contract thing. Arteta (33) still has a short-term role to play as speed has never been a part of his game and Cech at just 33 has at least 5 years as a top GK (think Seaman/Schmeichel/Buffon/Lehmann etc).

Next summer will see a few youngsters added to the first team squad, Akpom, Jeff and a couple of 25 y.o.(+-) purchases, to replace the older chaps thus keeping our squad young and fresh.

The young core of the squad is exciting and bodes well; allied to a couple of megastar purchases we will be cushtie

written by Big Raddy

207 Responses to The Kids Are Alright….. mostly

Good positive read BR, thanks.

2. Malaysian gunner says:

Really?The gunners cant even beat the minnows of cl.What more can you say?If the kids are alright prove it by beating the big teams.
    If not,it will be another season of great expectations going down the drain once more.
    You can bet questions will be asked if AW is the right guy.

3. Have we signed Le Coq’s brother?

4. Shard says:

Thank you BR. An interesting topic and a welcome counterpoint to the murder of football.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday when people were bemoaning arteta and flamini as coq’s backups. They aren’t spectacular, but are perfectly acceptable backups. However, I expect both of them gone next season, along with Rosicky.

We’ll probably buy a midfielder, but as of now, we’re assessing Hayden and Maitland-Niles, as well as Toral and Zelalem, all out on loan.

I still maintain that Wellington is an intereting prospect on the wing. However, he faces competition from Serge Gnabry, Joel Campbell, Jeff and Alex Iwobi.

Add Akpom and Sanogo to that mix as well.

Not all will make it with us. At the same time, all of them don’t have to be world beaters to add depth to the squad. They should also have value due to their homegrown status.

I agree about Bellerin being the reason we went for Debuchy, instead of the then crowd favourite, Serge Aurier. Debuchy has been unlucky with injuries, but Bellerin has staked his claim well. I wonder if next season Debuchy might be sold to make way for Jenkinson. Debuchy has alreay showed a disappointing attitude to being benched, and Jenko bleeds for the club.

I am worried about Gibbs though. He was clear first choice at the beginning of last season,but he seems to not have the drive to get his place back. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong as the season goes on.

5. Gerald Amuzu says:

We have heard this young players growing up to becomes a force in Arsenal for the past ten years and keep saying it! When are we going to have the men who can win titles? The excuses are now too many and boring.

Morning all, firstly having read back a bit, Micky 😦 😦 😦

I remember breaking my arm at the wrist in a game of Sunday football. Mine wasn’t as bad as yours sounded Micky but I can vouch for the pethidine jabs. I wasn’t considered a priority you see, what with people bleeding profusely and all that, so as it started to smart a bit a kindly nurse must have seen me warming up for a gurning practice session and offered to prick me in the buttocks. Cue some idiot off in LaLa land walking around A+E in full football kit grinning inanely at others in discomfort wondering why they all looked so miserable on such a fine and happy day πŸ™‚

A+E on a Sunday morning mid season is so packed full of football kit donned young men that you could probably have a full 11 a-side game right there and then.

Anyway Micky us camel wormer’s are always on hand to offer help to other fine A.A’ers so if you need any advice or help the great matriarch of the site has my details.

Now having not been on over the weekend a big thanks to Raddy for the pre-match, Steve for the post match and Raddy’s little “let’s see if we can lighten the mood” post today. You are entirely correct Raddy the future is looking very bright and as I have always said it probably only needs 1-2 more biggies (I can go with 1) to catalyse success.

Haven’t said anything about the travesty of the weekend but will at some point when I have more time. For me though it was a sad day not just for Arsenal but for English football and all the different factions associated with it as a whole. Most other fans probably only see it as being Arsenal’s problem but I think it has far a further reaching consequence than that.

7. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all
    I have always believed that a young side that grow together, seem to get better and better, I feel its possible to buy Many Marquee signings and bung them all together, and you may still have trouble with them gelling together. This has been proved when we look at all the clubs in the league who bring in strangers, many speaking other languages.

Many take at least a season before they start to look part of the set up, and many never live up to reputation,

Having a nucleolus of young players, often congers up the thought that many met in reserves, and they understand fellow youngsters qualities. The ones brought in can adapt a lot quicker than experienced players who have had strict rules at other clubs.

Arsenals youngsters have had disappointments, just when some feel they may break out of reserves they see a new player come in and fill the position they are training for, They then know that the Managers still thinks you are not ready. When this happens pushes youngsters to work harder and believe in themselves.

When asked to step up, these youngsters have had a bit of history, many have been trained in Arsenal ways so a step up although massive to them, has helped the transformation.

Many teams have built together and the successful ones.are usually comfortable with one another. Many realise their future may not be with the club, but still have had excellent training.

As Raddy said , our present side have a good number of young players, the passing football we see from them has been drilled in and it just keeps getting slicker, of course in most sides you still need a few special players, that can change a game, hopefully our academy will keep producing, and hopefully in time will be producing the talent to win with.

8. Ajinkya says:

You must be a highly optimistic man if you think we are going to make a couple of 25yr old purchases next season.

9. stevepalmer1 says:

Gerald A, although i agree that maybe we haven’t won CL and PL with the youngsters we have introduced, you have to admit that the eight or so years we waited for honours, we have now won two FA cups and two Charity shields on the trot, coupled with an Asian cup and Emirates cup.

Now although you may see these as nothing trophies, we have to start some where and in all honesty our youngsters have helped. The old saying springs to mind, You have to learn to walk before you can run,

Thanks Raddy, we certainly do have some promising talent coming through, no question – and so does pretty much every team in the EPL.

I do have some sympathy with those that say we’ve been living on the ‘just wait until next season’ premise for several years now.

Shard criticises those who ‘bemoan’ the quality of back up for Coquelin as if the logical answer is to wait a year until Arteta and Flaminin leave. Well I would say no, the time to bring in better quality for that position would be while we still have those players in the squad since they can’t adequately fill his boots and it is now that we need someone who can do what Coquelin does.

Cheers, BR.
    Viva Hector.

12. Shard says:

Rasp

I wasn’t criticising. Merely stating. I am on record as saying I would have liked a midfielder to be bought. The problem is I can’t decide whether I want Coquelin’s understudy, or Coq to be the understudy.

Either way, it is perfectly consistent to want a new, better midfielder, but also think that Arteta and Flamini are adequate backups for now. Which is my stance.

13. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Rasp, I think we all knew a time would come when Coquelin would suffer an injury. The very nature of the position and the way he goes about it it was inevitable. I am aghast, much the same as you, that our cover is left with players who have seen out their best years,W
    Why wenger did not buy, is both a travesty and a mystery. Wenger knew that it would come to this, and he also knew in my mind that Wilshere and Wellbeck were also long term. The reasons for not buying is probably money related, as anybody who has aspirations of actually winning the league would not leave the situation as it was,

I said a few weeks ago that Arsenal are still not ready to challenge for top honours, and i believe this shows up now even stronger.

Shard, Coquelin’s understudy for me is the onewe needed to get, which is why it was a tricky call. Le Coq’s stats stand up to the best holding midfielders out there. Matic’s recent performances are coming into question and Le Coq looks better than him currently. It is why I question whether we could have gone for Schneiderlin for instance. Neither would want to play understudy to the other, so the next question is could you play them together? I don’t think so in our set-up as they are too similar and both like to operate primarily from just in front of the back 4.

I still feel Debuchy is a possible solution as back up (RC’s suggestion originally). Apparently he played there for Lille, he is experienced and knows how to defend, and is more mobile and quicker than either of Arteta or Flamini.

Hi Shard, I understand your stance πŸ™‚ IMO Arteta cannot do the same job as Coquelin.

Coquelin has arguably been our most important player over the last 9 months. His reintroduction to the side heralded our improvement in form.

Like you, I cannot decide whether we should try to find someone better or a better quality backup. The likes of Lars Bender or William Carvalho would probably only come if they were going to be first choice in that position.

16. Shard says:

Gooner B

I tend to see the best DMs as the likes of Busquets. Someone who can not only adequately shield the back 4, but also be an outlet for a teammate and aid the attack.

It was the latter part of which I wasn’t sold on Coq. But I must say, he has mostly won me over. He has shown signs of improvement and I now believe he will continue to get better.

All the same, I think he needs someone like Cazorla next to him for it to be an effective midfield. Someone who can dribble and gt past people. Ramsey isn’t that player and that causes us some issues. This is where I think Wilshere should aim to be Santi’s successor. He might hold the key for the future, if coquelin is indeed our DM.

I think Arteta still has something to offer, and with a more athletic midfielder like Ramsey next to him, they wil once again form a successful midfiekd partnership.

So what to do for next season if we’re looking for an understudy. As you say, this is tricky. The options are to go with a slightly older player who is happy to do the job, or a young player who is just ready to step up. And they have to be better than Arteta and Hayden respectively.

As for Debuchy. I’m not sure. It’s an inyriguing thought, but it also rings of the clamour for Vermaelen to play there. Does Debuchy have the positional awareness and ability on the ball to play there for Arsenal? I’m not sure Wenger sees him that way. Oh but I do think Debuchy is a decent option as CB cover. Chambers is more likely to be pushed into midfield than Debuchy in my opinion.

17. stevepalmer1 says:

I feel our next game will reveal if Wengers backups will work out as we will be without both Sant and Coq I feel Debs will be one and Monreal the other and hold our breath

18. Shard says:

Rasp

We agree that Arteta can’t do the same job as Coquelin. But that doesn’t mean he can’t do a good job. Both have some limitations and Arteta’s are mostly related to athleticism. I think with Ramsey next to him, we will be fine.

Also, while not diminishing Coq’s contribution to our form last season, I believe Cazorla’s role in that gets overlooked.

It’s all about partnerships and I think we have the makings of two good ones. I would definitely buy a player that could reliably fit into either and not worry about displacing Coquelin or anyone else. But those players are few and far between. Maybe Javi Martinez. If we’re looking for an understudy, it might be the case that an internal solution like Hayden or Maitland-Niles will present the best option.

19. goonerjake says:

Positive Monday!

Love the post, not that I don’t enjoy the rants. I think sometimes you need to be optimistic and say to yourself that your manager has a master plan and everything will be alright.

And when I let myself go down this road Spurs will be relegated, man Utd will be bankrupt and disbanded and Maureen will admit that wenger is the godfather.

Positive Monday! Back to normal shotrtly

Hi Shard, presumably if Ramsey plays next to Arteta, Cazorla is on the bench?

Well done, Giant Raddish, πŸ™‚

Perhaps it is just something in each individuals DNA that makes us so different as fans, but what is it with the use of this adjective ‘adequate’ when applied to players whom we want to help us to win trophies?

Without getting involved in semantics, can you imagine, in motor racing terms, a top manufacturer like Mercedes, for example, finding, before a race, a leak in a key coupling of an engine, and wrapping a temporary tourniquet around it and saying “that will be adequate – it is not top quality, admittedly, but …..” ? I don’t think so.

It must be all the years of being a ‘nearly’ team that has made so many Arsenal fans seem to accept the inevitability of ‘making do’, and think it is acceptable that -‘ maybe x can play out of position and be back-up for y’; or that a player who wasn’t top rate in his prime will be an OK member of the Arsenal squad now that he/they are well past his/their prime?

Maybe it is just me, and my DNA, but I think it is preposterous that a club of Arsenal’s size and ambitions should even consider for one moment a ‘make do and mend’ philosophy with its players.

There should be a ready made replacement coming through the system for all the players in the current squad who no longer meet the demanding template of requirements essential for all top quality football players, as it is for any top quality sportsman/athlete, or alternatively, there should be well advanced plans in place to buy a replacement should that be necessary way before the transfer windows even open, instead of us being told during the window that, ‘we are looking for a suitable player to improve the squad’.

That lack of planning would be just tosh, and everyone with half a brain knows it, and if it isn’t just AW trying to throw off other clubs about his plans, in addition to us fans, then it really does need some explaining.

We presumably have pretensions to be among the Mercedes and Ferraris of football, and we should not accept second best, or past their ‘sell by date’ footballers who are ‘adequate’.

To be the best we need to have the best, otherwise we cannot possibly compete at the top level of the game – why is that so difficult to understand?

Hi Redders, your @ 1:05 was an adequate comment with which I am in full agreement πŸ˜†

Rasper,

And I am adequately pleased that you found my inadequate comment …… adequate. πŸ˜€

Nothing wrong with the word — it is all contextual.

Are they going to kill some more innocent badgers instead, Chas?

Farmers: Leave the badgers alone — vaccinate the bloody cattle instead – say I.

RA
    It was the pigs who cancelled.
    It turns out Hameron was due to chase them to make them go faster.

26. Shard says:

RA

Would you say Ray Parlour was a top quality/world class player? I wouldn’t. Yet he was good enough to win titles with us. This is what I mean by adequate. I don’t believe that having Arteta as a backup prevents us from winning the title, even as I realise that this is an area where there could be an upgrade in our squad.

It’s great to want, and even better to be able to afford the best players in the world. But a winning squad is unlikely to ever be a collection of the best 25 players in the world.

Let’s not make this an issue about ambition or a slogan of ‘we need the very best or we’re nobodies’. Arteta is a model professional, with a lot of talent, skill and experience by virtue of which he contributes to the squad. A squad that is good enough to win the title.

27. Shard says:

Rasp

Correct. Santi would be on the bench.

28. wally says:

If wenger were to be slated for not getting Schneiderlin I think it would indeed be justified.

Herb,

As you know I do not always agree with the conclusions you draw, and I suspect you will not always agree with me either — but I am always impressed with the way you argue your case, with politeness, determination and a sense of decorum.

Reading your exchanges last night I thought that under provocation you held true to the above, so may I say well done to you sir! πŸ˜€

I, for one, was prompted to follow suit, after I made a general comment today, just expressing my opinion on something that I think was self-evident only to be told by a know it all ‘not to make an issue’ of it and and being asked rhetorical questions which had nothing to do with the simple principles I was expounding.

My irritation at the disrespect shown almost got the better of me, because I hate being told what I should say or think, but I suddenly recalled how you conducted yourself last night, and I intend to follow your lead by not responding in kind!

Thank you for that. πŸ˜€

Why is it justified to slate him for not getting Schneiderlin Wally? If you could reference your opinion to my 11.52 it would help me understand why we should have got him.

Shard, I do think another DM would have been useful but I always felt we needed a powerful box to box type who also had the discipline and ability to play the holding role if required. It is why I was keen on Vidal because IMO you could play him either instead of or with Coquelin whereas i think with someone like a Schneiderlin or Wanyama it is either or so one of them is always benched / back up. That may be the type of player you were thinking of with Martinez?

Hi Wally,

Maybe Arsene did make a bid – and was rebuffed by Schneiderlin who made a great play earlier in the transfer window of ‘loving Utd’.
    Who knows?

Mind you, listening to Wenger’s comments after the window closed, he said that if he had bought a striker that would have ‘killed’ Walcott’s chances of playing at CF at Arsenal.

Perhaps he had the same ideas about Le Coq?

If that is so, it begs the question ‘did he think that another CF (say Benzema) was better than Walcott, and that SchneidyBonce was better than Le Coq?’)

In any event it doesn’t matter, we have both of them now, and they do, each of them, have a lot of potential, so let’s get behind them. πŸ™‚

In fairness, Camelly, Wally did preface his statement with the conditional “if”. πŸ˜€

How are you and the camels doing? πŸ™‚

34. Shard says:

Hi all,

I was unaware that disagreement by party 1 with a comment made by party 2 about a comment earlier made by party 1, was equal to telling party 2 what to think.

I was also unaware that telling someone what they think, denigrating their views as dividing the fanbase or insulting their ability to be balanced by accusations of worshipping a subject of debate, qualifies as being polite and calm.

I must also have been raised wrong because I seem to mistake what is apparently a willingness to let it go, with being passive-aggressive.

35. Shard says:

GoonerB

Yes Vidal is a good shout. He is versatile enough to play either role. Though people who watched him more regularly than I did expressed doubts about his ability to play in England saying his body won’t support his physical style of play for long. So I don’t know. I can’t deny that I was excited at the prospect of us signing him.

Camels good RA, worms dealt with πŸ™‚ and how are you?

I’m fine, fine, thank you. πŸ™‚

You might find this a little …….. odd – at first – but a few days, or a couple of weeks ago, I thought of you and let out a little whistle!!

I do not watch much TV, but I found myself watching a programme about the English country side, and saw and heard something that made me re-appraise my image of you!!

You see, when I learned you were a camel wormer (never having heard of such a thing before) I visualised you with some sort of blow pipe, which you loaded with a pill for bumping off the worms, and applied it with some caution to the camel’s rear quarters and …… blew. πŸ˜€

The programme I saw involved a man worming sheep — their rear ends looked amazingly sh*tty and attracted egg laying blow flies (?) but the methodology involved had nothing in common with my fevered imaginings — he simply put a metal pipe attached to a canister of medicine, presumably, which he rammed into the unfortunate sheep’s mouth and pressed some sort of button and ……. hey presto – job done.

My whistle was surprise that you were not after all a blow pipe wielding rectum tickling fiend, but a true helpful friend of the camel!! πŸ˜€

I am always learning new things!!

Ah, sticking it in the head end.

Spoof link, soz.
    Presumably the deafening silence from the FA means they’ve seen nothing wrong in what happened at the Bridge on Saturday.
    I’m back to feeling angry.

chas. Of course they will not act. God forbid they set a precedent of retrospectively accusing MU/Chav players of violent conduct.

Zouma now saying his English wasn’t up to scratch.

So Gabriel and Arsenal charged. Cosmic.
    You couldn’t make it up.

Actually, Goonerbee, I was looking forward to commenting on AA and mentioning Dallas, and Wichita to drive you crazy with envy, just like you did with your name dropping from your holiday resort recently!

OK, maybe not drive you crazy, but they are better places than they might sound. πŸ™‚

Then – shock, horror, I did something that was perfectly innocent, when booking my flights, I asked if the airline could recommend some cheap flight insurance – in Yankee land there are machines where you can buy this kind of stuff – not sure about Heathrow.

Ominous silence followed — and to cut a long story short — they wanted my consultant to supply a letter confirming I was good to go, and that my present problem would not cause a problem out over the Atlantic – or some such bulls*t.

Guess what? He is away on his vacation – I need to go next Sunday – the result is I can’t go, and might just as well pop around and keep the camels company – except they would find me boring!! 😦

45. No mention of Costas’ assault on The Ox? The FA are more myopic than the bloody refs.

Santi warned by the FA about being too nice and smiley.

Maybe the wanker sign had something to do with it. πŸ™‚
    (sound off if you don’t want to hear Glenda.)

at least our charges are lesser than chavs. Plus Costa must be the most loathed thing in football in this country

Chas,

You are right to be angry – me too.

So, being analytical, if Dean had sent off Costa when he assaulted Kozzer, none of the rest would have happened.

It makes you wonder which cretin at the FA cannot get his bonce around that? In fact do we know who at the FA makes these decisions, or do they act on advice from the PGMO panel?

Costa behaves like a thug – Dean does not stop him, and as a result Gabriel, Arsenal, and less importantly Chelsea all get hauled before the Beak. Farcical.

I think Dean needs to go to referee re-habilitation together with the FA idiot who charged Gabriel and Arsenal.

The sense of injustice just grows!

52. Red Arnie says:

Nice and positive post, Raddy. πŸ™‚ You have identified the players who are developing in-house and the ones who are getting on a bit.

Of course, we should be on the look-out for improvements in all positions. Subject to availability at a price commensurate with their value to our team.

But at teh same time, we need to provide our good guys the chance to show us what they are capable of. As ever, this is a balance that we need to strike. I believe we are fairly good in doing this. I, for one, am in favour of “more of the same”. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

COYG.

53. Whatever punishment The FA hand Costa WILL NOT BENEFIT ARSENAL IN ANY WAY.

Nothing will change the fact that Arsenal were reduced to ten men for a long period of the game.

We lost a game we had a chance of winning. Those three points are gone.

We need to move on.

Shard

I’d just like to say that I think you always conduct yourself with grace and intelligence.
    I also know you can’t help yourself in rising to a challenge. πŸ™‚

56. Red Arnie says:

Yes, Norfolk, well said. 😦 Sad, but optimistic. πŸ™‚

57. Red Arnie says:

Estonia 0-3 Englnad
    Women’s Euro 2017 qualifying

Gooner Danielle Carter scores on debut.

58. Red Arnie says:

Actually, more than sad, very very angry. Still. 😦

cheers big
    adds perspective chavs ramming down our throats what a bunch of dispicables they are
    hopefully home tomorrow

60. Vintage Gooner says:

Just a brief word o the two issues emerging on this post’s comments.

Firstly can we please kill the Schneiderlin should have been bought nonsense. We expressed firm interest very early and had positive noises in response from both Southampton and the player. But then Man U come into the picture. They are to the player a bigger club in reputation, money and even recent success in the past five years. Further they are able to give a much more credible promise of constant first team football. If you were Schneiderlin which contract would you be signing? No brainer really!

Secondly we must try not to let our feeling of injustice stop us from seeing that the FA is right in terms of avoiding allegations of prejudice to charge both clubs and both players prior to the details of what happened being considered in the context of any further action b y the FA. By the same token there is no comment on the referee but this does not preclude subsequent action which certainly nearly every Arsenal fan believes should follow from judicious consideration of all that happened last Saturday.

Calm down and keep the faith.

61. Red Arnie says:

good luck, Micky. πŸ™‚ here is one for you!

62. Red Arnie says:

Danielle Carter hat-trick! what a debut!

63. Question put to dear Jeremy ….what’s worse f*****g a pig or f*****g Diane Abbott?

Wow. How do they train giraffes to do that!!

Vintage. 6.25 Well said. (still hate Dean & Chelsea)

66. Red Arnie says:

We know Jeremy is a Gooner. Does he follow AA as well! πŸ˜›

wow! press is full of “Chelsea striker Diego Costa is charged with violent conduct by the FA following his side’s win over Arsenal on Saturday” full stop. Our culprits not even mentioned in the first para

What do we want for Costa? Death penalty being out of question…….6 match ban at least. Will probably get 3 max

This made me chuckle – Arsenal fans are boycotting Costa Coffee. Talk Sports pundits think it is ridiculous but I think it is hilarious and very effective in drawing attention to that creep. I won’t buy Costa coffee from now on either πŸ™‚

68. Red Arnie says:

The cannibal got 8, 6 seems appropriate, 3 seems likely.

Raddy@6:59. ditto.

Really funny Tories trying to justify Cameron’s pig-related behaviour.

70. Red Arnie says:

Monreal has signed a new deal. Allegedly. πŸ™‚

71. Red Arnie says:

72. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Morning all…..I’m back to get warmed up for the game against Spudders.

As you know I did the whole wedding thing on Saturday, imagine my disappointment when I came back from ceremony to check score before heading to reception to see 1-0 down and that Gabriel sent off, and then checking later to see 2-0 and Santi sent off. I was cursing the pair of them, I could have guaranteed Costa would have been involved in Gabriel’s dismissal, and I was disappointed he’d allowed himself to be provoked by his antics. But I had assumed it was the normal minor annoyance antics that Costa employs.

That position was changed when I briefly checked in here to see the response. Given the almost unanimous agreement about Costa and Chav behaviour and having read Maureen’s post match comments I really can’t bring myself to watch the highlights.

As NG says earlier the problems now facing Costa are going to have no effect on us, although for a change it seems that most football pundits and media outlets are recognising the behaviour.

73. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

On the DMrole and covering for Coq could Gibbs do it?

Mobile, good passer, good tackler, only thing is he needs to adjust his game and do what Coq has done and concentrate on the defensive side first.

74. I’m confused about the FA rules for the game of football, can someone please help.

As far as I’m aware, if a ref or another official say they saw an incident and the player concerned is carded… then the FA cannot make a retrospective decision… so why has Paul Easter been retrospectively charged with ‘Improper Conduct’?

Secondly, with the appeal for Paul Easters match ban, surely any half-decent lawyer would be able to get the decision overturned because Costa has been charged with ‘Violent Conduct’ against Kos, so therefore, if it should have been a red card for Costa, then the consequent clash with Gabriel would not of happened and he wouldn’t have been red carded or charged…. am I correct with this logical thinking?

Hi NB,

It was because he acted up — after — he was carded — ‘effing’ the ref, probably – so it is in addition to the red card he got for flicking Costa.

Cazorla’s warning is also a joke. Dean was having a dreadful game and our boys were already at boiling point. Of course Cazorla will make disparaging hand actions after his red card.

He was just echoing what every right minded football fan was thinking …. that Dean was/is an onanist

don’t forget to write to the FA. You can log in via the Facebook
    Don’t just moan about it guys!!!

78. Red Arnie says:

Interesting. No reprimand for Wenger for saying what he said. Impliit admission of irregularities? πŸ™‚

79. Exile @6.52am

I was actually wondering if Chambers would be an option, he’s been tried at CB…. and has composure and reads the game well. It would be good for him to take the DM role perhaps in the COC games. I think he could have the potential to fill the role as back up to the Coq. I remember a while back quite a few people envisaged him as a DM.

80. Red Arnie says:

Well, I still think our best bet at the moment is Flamster.

81. Arnie

Do you have impliit trust in the Flamster being able to do it, at his age, lack of pace… he will be going at the end of the season, so surely Chambers is the one to groom if AW doesn’t find someone in the TW in January?

82. ‘morning all,

Soixante-Neuf, I seem to remember Wenger said that eventually Chambers would operate as a defensive mid-fielder.

If we have any centre-backs at all on Wednesday then I see no reason why he shouldn’t be given a go.

Is Merts fit? Has Kos had his eyes replaced after Costa tried to remove them?

83. Red Arnie says:

No, NB, I dont say this with a lot of conviction. But under the circumstances, and having looked at both Chambers and Arteta, I feel this is our best bet for the moment.

Two things are good about Flamster. A never-say-die attitude that is very important for a defence minded DM. Second, a good sense of danger.

84. I think you’re right Arnie, in the present situation, centre-backwise, as Chambers will have to play alongside Kos, then Flamini is the sensible choice with Arteta to replace him after sixty minutes, when we have the game won.

85. Maybe Wenger will surprise us and select a virtual Academy side, what with suspensions, injuries and the fixture congestion we could hardly blame him and he has done it before. Although, perhaps our Academy players are lacking a bit of quality compared to some of those in the past.

86. Red Arnie says:

yes, fair enough, Norfolk.

87. The other issue I’ve been thinking about since the game against the SW6 cheats, is that of Captain. I know AW has said that a good team doesn’t need a captain (well I think he said that) but Saturday showed that, yes we actually do need a captain to step in on occasion, and the rules say a team needs someone for a dialogue with the ref when it all goes tits up. At the moment it’s a toss up whether it’s the BFG, Arteta, Cazorla or someone else… very inconsistant.

Cazorla proved that he is not up to it, he failed the defenders when they most needed him. So here’s my tuppence, what about Cech… ok he’s new to the team but he has presence, the team respect him and he has experience and I think he would make a super choice. Another benefit would be when it kicks off at the other end of the pitch and he is needed to talk to the ref, getting up to the other end of the field and back again to the goal would be a great way of wasting time without being penalised. How’s that for lateral thinking. πŸ˜€

88. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi RA

Thanks for your supportive words yesterday, the sad thing is that since my first ever comment on AA, Arsenal aren’t any further on and seem to be stuck in a constant state of transition.

Shard – I would second what Chas said yesterday, but apart from maybe a few here on AA, there aren’t many supporters left who see the same version of Arsenal as you.
    That isn’t a bad thing, it just means you’re far too generous in your overall appraisal of where the club is at.
    You say Arsene has built a modern super-club. Perhaps you could define this.
    I’m sure the facilities at The Emirates represent the club values and are first-class. But of Europe’s super-powers, if we include Arsenal in that company, only Chelsea and City, (Liverpool five times CL winners), have smaller stadium capacities.
    Then I would point you in the direction of Arsene and Arsenal’s record against our domestic rivals and those in Europe since the CL final in 2006. When did Arsenal last hand any of their rivals a football lesson, as has been handed to them on numerous occasions? Can you think of any that we’ve beaten by a three or more goal margin?
    Bear in mind that during this period, PSV, Liverpool and Monaco have all knocked Arsenal out of the CL, as well as Utd, Barca(x2) Bayern(x2), and AC Milan.
    To get an accurate assessment of how Arsenal have performed, you probably need to measure all of the other super-clubs results against each other over the same period, but my guess would be (with the exception of the still relatively new City) that they balance out quite evenly.
    Barcelona are a modern super-club, they didn’t win their first CL until 1992, now they’ve won as many as Liverpool and Bayern Munich.
    Of course it’s natural as fans to big our team up, as the heading at the top of the page says “by far the greatest team”, and for us they always will be, but in footballs wider scope we need to be honest about where we are in the whole structure.
    It hurts like hell to have to admit it, but Arsenal are a long way from being one of those clubs. You can protest against my opinion as much as you like, but the evidence is there for us all to see.

Thanks for an interesting read, Raddy, I hope our youngsters make it because our transfer policy is incredibly strange.
    You have to feel sympathy for Jack Wilshere, one of England’s shining lights has had a stop-start career, blighted by niggling injuries, and now he has to have a metal-plate inserted, which of course might also react in adverse weather conditions, and affect his performance level. Here’s to him making a full recovery.
    I think he would fit perfectly in the pivot alongside Coquelin.

NB,

re your 12:01

I too was disappointed that Cazzor, and/or other Arsenal players did not do more to stop the provocation from Costa on Gabriel before things escalated.

No matter, it is history, but your suggestion regarding Cech for El Capitano is a good one.

He did actually intervene when the activity was in the penalty area, but as the players went upfield to the halfway line he stayed back and then it kicked off – no pun intended. πŸ™‚

Good choice.

90. Herb'sArmy says:

I agree completely that Petr Cech should be captain just for what he has achieved in the game. He has a winners mentality that needs injecting into our players.
    He should have been given the arm-band before the ink was dry on his contract.

Hi Herb,

Every one gets a say on AA – and that is only right — I am sure that you will get a response to your comment in due course.

My only advice is to beware of the ‘last word syndrome’ — both you and Shard like to indulge – and the chat from the pair of you could last indefinitely. πŸ™‚

What might help move things forward is if you both defined what you think constitutes a Super-Club.

At the end of the last century Chelsea were almost bankrupt – and with sod all in the way of history, before Abramovich poured his money into them.

Man City were a toiling mid-table club until they were taken over by Sheikh Mansour in 2008 – and again there history was not great before he spent the odd billion quid.

Super-Clubs? If you take the history of those clubs into account, with the recent influx of the odd billion pound sterling for players – no, they are not super-clubs in my eyes.

Anyway, my lunch is calling. Laterz.

92. Herb'sArmy says:

RA

The answer is in my comment.
    Barcelona are a modern-day super-club because the other elite level clubs such as Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, the two Milan’s, Juventus had already established their status.
    Barcelona’s philosophy was radically over-hauled by Cruyff, and they’ve not looked back since.
    That is how to formulate and execute a plan.

Hi Redders, I added an extra paragraph at the end of Room 101 yesterday – it sounds like it would meet with your approval πŸ™‚

94. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi Rasp, hint taken, I’m gone.

95. Hi Rasp, I’ve just read your new 101 paragraph and I entirely agree.

The seemingly endless, and verbose, dialogue between two bloggers with diametrically opposed views soon becomes tedious to the rest of us.

Having said that I still welcome different opinions and pithy comments.

I also respect the right of anyone to express them, but I retain the right to not read them. πŸ˜€

Did I hear the “all clear” siren ? – if so then I’ll open my curtains!

Herb, come back! The entry in room 101 was not aimed at you πŸ™‚

98. Herb'sArmy says:

Rasp

Many different bloggers on here have the vocabulary skills to put the same message across in a variety of different ways, unfortunately I don’t, so it appears as though I’m being repetitive as someone once said.
    Nobody wants to be considered a bore with nothing new to offer in the way of debate.
    As a club, Arsenal seem stuck, and don’t really offer much in the way of exciting, vibrant conversation that is relevant, or hasn’t already been covered.
    All I ask of the club is that they show a hunger and desire to compete, because there is so much potential for growth.
    I’m not here to pick fights, and I respect that most on here are very pro-Arsene, but the perception is that if you question his methods you are extolling negativity or doom and gloom.
    We’ve been out of the top two since 2005, and haven’t been anywhere near winning the CL since 2006, neither of these issues look like they’re being urgently addressed.
    But my views are well documented, and in the interests of allowing Norfolk something more entertaining to read, I shall largely stick to a reading brief.

Herb,

Rasper really was not having a dig at you specifically — we all sometimes want to have the last word! Anyway, he is too nice to do that. πŸ™‚

I don’t have a lot of time today, but can I explain how you could open up your point of view – not that you have to agree!

I suggested that you might have a more interesting discussion if you had agreed a definition of, for example, about what each of you meant by ‘super-club’ the other night.

Your response to me, today, and I was not asking you for myself, was what is called a ‘closed answer’. Basically you said that X had won a CL final, and made themselves into a super-club and W, Y, Z had already done so.

That is like saying a horse is an animal that eats grass and sticks with other horses. Not too illuminating, maybe. πŸ™‚

If you had said to Shard that a super-club, in your opinion, is defined by its competitive success, and a big stadium – you would be opening up the opportunity to him, if he wanted to, to perhaps say a super-club is defined by competitive success, a full big stadium, but also by the number of fans it has worldwide.
    Others might say a super-club must have all of those but also have a rich history, and so on. And away you go.

If this is all double Dutch, and unhelpful – just blow a raspberry at your new laptop – I won’t hear it will I? πŸ˜€

Rasp
    Shouldn’t your 2:46 have said, “The entry in room 101 was not aimed at you alone, but at all commenters on the blog”?

Otherwise it reads that either the rules don’t apply to Herb or …….
    that the extra paragraph was aimed at someone else.

Herb, chas, Redders ….. yes of course the entry in 101 was a general observation as we probably have all been a culprit at one time or another.

Do any of you disagree with the sentiment of the wording?

I have desperately tried to avoid entering the fray – but I feel compelled to write a few words.

I could care less if Arsenal are ever a “super club” I have not supported Arsenal for 7 decades wishing and hoping that some deep pocketed Russian oligarch or oil billionaire comes along and turns us into a version of Chelsea, Man U or Man C – in fact it would be horrible and taint my view of the club.

A great deal of my enjoyment over the years has come when we have turned over the big boys. I would detest it if we became so used to winning trophy’s that it became something that tuned us into the despicable types of morons at the “super clubs”

Winning is simply not everything and in my viewpoint winning is far more exciting when it’s not expected.

There has never been an Arsenal game that I did not look forward to watching – and win lose or draw I love the Arsenal – it’s imprinted in my DNA until the day I die and I will never spend a moment of my time complaining about things that out of my control.

GN5. Like you I am not driven by the need for AFC to be a “super-club”; what I want is to support the club which I have supported since childhood to perform to the best of their abilities in a sporting and aesthetically pleasing manner. Apart from a couple of years at the end of GG’s reign I would say they have done so.

Even in the recent losses we have seen football which just wonderful to watch – intricacies which are beyond my imagination.

We support the finest club in the world – super or not

Raddy we are 100% in sync……………

GG’s last few years were bad but for me the period between 1956 and 1966 when we had Jack Crayston, George Swindin and Billy Wright as our managers were the worst I have witnessed. We were mid table mediocre except for Swindin’s first season (1958/59) when we finished 3rd.

We were simply a no hope team during that period – which we have never been under the stewardship of Arsene Wenger.

GN5 & Raddy

Of course. You are both spot on and I am proud to share the same forum with you.

Born and bred Arsenal is part of my life. I want us to win everything and be the best but if we ended up bottom of the league it would make no difference to my support.

106. GOOD NEWS train arrives:

Paul Easters 3 match ban has been withdrawn…. official on the FA website….. fucking right as well.

107. However however however… the charge of ‘improper behaviour’ still stands but the club have till Thursday to dispute it.

Excellent.
    Presumably the outstanding “improper conduct” charge will involve a fine rather than a ban?

Terry,

I can always rely on you to put a smile on my face – thanks!

The only time I felt we were in danger of finishing bottom were the last two seasons under Bertie Mee when we finished 16th and 17th.

At least they’ve admitted that his improper conduct was for a valid reason i.e. his getting sent off when the instigator was allowed to stay on and continue his practice of the dark arts.

Does that mean Gabriel is available for selection tomorrow?

112. Yes GN5… the judgement takes effect immediately.

Thing is Norther, as the red card has been rescinded it is difficult to understand how he can be fined/suspended for not leaving the field quickly enough when he should never have been sent off.

Rather a circular type argument if the FA still go ahead.

And it tickles me that there were so many journalists who rubbished Gabriel as ‘stupid’ – now who looks stupid?

The downside is that it is a smack in the face for Dean, but it cost us at least 2 points and the Chavs got two more than they deserved – – a 4 point swing, and it made Arsene’s ‘losing run’ against the poison dwarf continue – and wrongly so.

114. The Cockie Monster says:

I thought the …”Dark Arts”….was `69er painting in a dark room because he spent all his electricity money on booze !…..piss artist !.
    Saying that !………….Ant & Duck are piss artist`s…… minus the artistic bit !. hahaha

— “The FA have overturned Mike Dean’s decision to issue a red card to Gabriel in Saturday’s 2-0 defeat to Chelsea.

The Brazil centre-back will now no longer have to serve a three-match ban and will be available for tomorrow’s League Cup fixture against Tottenham, as well as upcoming league matches against Leicester City and Manchester United.

However, the 24-year-old does still face an FA charge of improper conduct, relating to his reaction when Dean sent him off. He has until Thursday to respond.

Gabriel received a straight red after kicking out at Diego Costa, who had been grappling with the Arsenal defender’s colleague Laurent Koscielny. The Chelsea striker was also put in the dock by the FA, receiving a charge of violent conduct.

Arsene Wenger admitted after the game that his player should have known better than to react to Costa, who received a booking for his part in the controversy that marred the first half of an absorbing London derby.

β€œWe warn them not to get involved and I don’t understand Gabriel because he usually looks a calm boy,” said Wenger. β€œYou have to be above that. That’s part of the game sometimes.”

London Evening Standard

Piss-heads, Cockie.

Terry. You always make me laugh

“Look, i was a terrible disapointment to my late father, but he still gave me pocket money at 40. Some may say that one of the reasons I was a disapointment was that him giving a grown man cash pampered me? Nonsense. He had no choice, I had a very expensive and tragic drug habit.”

Presumably that means Arsenal are off the hook on their FA charge too, as they cannot be found guilty of not controlling their players as that only leaves Cazzor – and he only had two yellows. I think.

119. Vintage Gooner says:

Two quick comments off the super-club issue which should be an issue and post on its own.

Firstly on the principles behind selection tomorrow I hope very much that Wenger maintains his normal long-sighted and proper assessment of what is needed. The competition is an irrlevance for Arsenal particularly this season when all the other three competitions need attention and focus. EPL because we can challenge. FAC because we can be the first to ever win 3 in a row and CL because it is prestigious and we should be showing our improved class overall.

So tomorrow showcase young talent and give older less played but sound players the chance to bring the youngsters on..In the latter case I am thinking Mertesacker and Arteta and perhaps Debouchy, Gibbs and even Giroud need more game time. Sadly with the youngsters some of the best talent like Akpom, Gelalem & Hayden are out on loan and Reine Adelaide has joined our injured but we still have some doing ok in an under 21 team which is doing much better than last year.

Finally and quite separately I maintain that the Telegraph photos of Costa raising blood from three scratches on his neck would be a charge of ABH done outside a football pitch and should have at least three games added to the indisputable three for the attacks on Koscielney allegedly not seen by the incompetent/lying referee. These do not cover for the kick at the Ox which was worse than that for which Gabriel was given a straight red. Dean must not be allowed off the hook for his dreadful display on Saturday.

120. Cockie @6.03pm

You don’t realise how close to the truth that is Cornwall…. I live on the breadline and given the choice between paying the Lecky and buyinga couple of bottles of whisky… the alcohol always wins. And a couple of glasses also helps to keep my models calm whilst I spend hours detailing their naked bodies on canvas. πŸ˜€

I agree with you Vintage,

The 2nd main perpetrator Mike Dean appears to be getting off without even a slap on the wrist – disgraceful!

Sometimes the FA decisions are beyond belief.

That detailing sounds like it must be exhausting work NB?

123. The Cockie Monster says:

I stand corrected, chas !. πŸ˜€

So boys !…who would win in a fight between Piss Heads and Piss Artists ?………………………………………In the Red Corner weighing in at 200lbs including beer crate and packets of pork scratching`s , inebriated for 49 invincible matches, the Nottingham Nobbler………Charming Chas the Vicious Vine !……………………………..In the Yellow pissed stained corner weighing in at 220lbs including intravenous drip from a cask of unleaded and a condom wrapped chorizo, inebriated for 49 years, the South of French Letter Tickler…………. De Gaulle`s Gonad Gargler…..69 !.

good news re Paul Easter!!! I am sure my emails helped the FA to reach the right decision

125. By rescinding Gabriel’s red card The FA are effectively saying that Dean made a wrong decision. As his decision had a serious effect on the outcome of the game and was detrimental to the quality of the game itself surely he should be sanctioned in some way.

He is as much of a serial offender as Costa. How many more games is he going to ruin before the PGMOL wakes up and takes action.

Is the PGMOL fit for purpose?

126. Cockie

You crack me up mate…. in a week when we didn’t have much to smile about, you manage to bring a smile to everyone. Lovely stuff.

See how the mood has lightened since the news about out battling bresilian….

127. The Cockie Monster says:

It will never be fair, Norfolk, until we move with the times ( like rugby,Cricket and NFL ) and have in match video reviews so that in circumstances like Saturdays game Gabriel would have not been sent off, so possibly changing the outcome of a game !.
    Although great news, it has no bearing on the result of the game , so sort the technology out Football …..biggest game in the modern high tech world with the most backward thinking !.

128. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Seems that the review board, has seen fit to overturn decisions made on Saturday. They in their wisdom have analysed the play and rescinded some of their representatives decisions.

When a body of experts sit and decide when things have gone wrong is all well and good, but surely when the game was stalemate when the incidents happened , surely the game should be replayed. No football club should benefit from these kind of tactics. A replay is the only fair decision.

Th FA will most likely conclude that as Dean never saw the initial incident he was correct in sending Gabriel off based on what he did actually see – and unfortunately that makes sense.

I wish there was an image showing Dean’s position on the field when Costa was assaulting Kos – that would tell us so much more.

Over to you Chas………..

131. Nicholas says:

According to John Cross, Arsenal showed video footage proving that Gabriel’s kick never made contact, hence he was incorrectly sent off.

132. The Cockie Monster says:

Cant do that GN5, but I do have a photo of Mike Dean sucking off Jose just before kick off !……….unfortunately the site rules deny this incriminating evidence otherwise I would publish photo !……………..also have one of Costa Kebab Fist Fcuking Dean at Half Time !.

133. GN5 @6.23pm

It is mate…. very stressful and exhausting… you would not believe how anxious I get.

GN5@6.48pm

I’m not sure if he did see the second incident when Paul Easter raised his leg behind to tap Costa. From the video on here I saw, he looks down after the Chav players tell him what happened and therefore, reacted to them rather than what he saw.

Great news. Hope this leads to Dean getting demoted or beaten to a pulp by some Jimmy Hill fans.

135. Cockie, did you know that a charge of Bestiality has be judged at the Old Bailey ( Dean sucking off Jose) and if found guilty, it stays on your criminal record for life.

And I’ve just heard that David Cameran has started to frequent a new pub, it’s called ‘The Pigs Head’.

136. The Cockie Monster says:

You`re telling Porkies, `69er !.
    Anyway, I`m more concerned about the atrocities caused by Costa on innocent Kebabs !.

!.

Deans problem is that he has no comunictation with Mike Reily. Every time they meet they both bend over facing the wrong way waiting for something to happen?

Apparently this can go on for hours, Alex Fergusons retired.

Know what you mean 69. Piss artistery sounds knackering. Getting a bird palstered in a pitch black envoiremnet and then whipping out your brush must be a terrible toil for you? hahaha

Cornwall, how you doing mate? Hows the trouble & strife, all well I hope?

139. The Cockie Monster says:

Touch wood !, all OK, Stretch !.
    Got to go !. πŸ˜€

PS
    Had my nephew around earlier and introduced him to Mike Strutter !. hahaha

140. This is what Dean says to Maureen…

Good stuff Cornwall

Cant beat a bit of Strutter. hahaha

Got to go to. Going to Spain for five days so got to pack.

142. Costa has been given a three match ban…. MOTM my arse. But as mentioned, the loss of points was the main issue… the game needs to be reviewed… true justice would be playing the game again. Lets hope the Chavs lose a few points whilst without Costa.

In other exciting news, Eva the doctor has resigned from Chelsea… she is available and willing, sign her up Wenger.

143. The Cockie Monster says:

Have a good holiday, Stretch !…….hope you find your ….Special Juan !.

NB – I just wish we could have seen Mourinho reaction to his “man of the match” getting a 3 game ban.

145. IanRealGunner says:

Are the FA going to deal with the phantom free kick that gifted Chavski their first goal? Dean was 3 yards away when Ramsey won the ball fairly

Ian Very good point. I cannot believe that more fuss has not been made of it.

147. goonerjake says:

Costa 3 match ban- Dean got it wrong then according to the fa.

Gabriel red card over turned- Dean got it wrong according to the fa.

Yet he can still referee next week in the premier? Accountability?

If Dean had any decency he would apologise and take some gardening leave

Evening all. Firstly have a great holiday Terry. Remember it is Ball fighting in Spain not the Cock fighting you are used to. Keep yourself limbered up and ready to go, so avoid wearing those extra tight Meerkat print budgie smugglers that you love so much on the journey out there.

GN5 had a good point earlier about supporting the club no matter what. We do operate in a higher stratosphere than the majority of other clubs so it would probably not be wrong for those loyal and loud supporters of the Palace’s and Stokes of this world, who mostly enter a season not expecting anything in silverware but continuing to support loyally, to look at us somewhat as whingey spoiled brats.

On the other hand we have mostly always hovered around this top tier, and now moved into it more permanently with those greater resources under AW’s tutelage so the expectations are greater. Just don’t do the what has he done since 2006 thingy because that is annoying, lumping those early Emirates austerity years (when we were competing with those with unlimited budgets) onto the last few years. From the last 2 years or so I agree the spotlight of success should really be on us and the manager more.

Never had my say on the weekend so here goes.

I kind of felt like I fell out of love with English football at the weekend. Not just because of what happened there in isolation but because of a history of events.

Mike Dean for instance. What is it, a 6% win ratio with him as a ref versus a 67% win ratio overall? If that didn’t broker looking at then what does? Could it be a strange anomaly? Possibly, but the only trouble is I can remember other games where he has ref’d us and big decisions have gone against us incorrectly changing the outcome of the game.

He also always seems to get a huge amount of the Arsenal versus their main rivals games (particularly in my mind Chelsea) and these stats plus what we see in those games, plus his continued selection for these games really stinks of something underhand. I don’t buy the line it is because he is one of the most experienced ref’s.

The F.A and the EPL want some sort of respect agenda going on. Well I would happily say that Arsenal have adhered to that by and large and not overly complained about ref’s e.t.c when you compare it to Fergies Utd and Chelsea’s Mourinho literally bullying the authorities into dropping certain ref’s from taking charge in their games.

What have Arsenal got for this? Just a barrage of sneering remarks about being too nice, having a soft underbelly e.t.c, e.t.c. The pundits and the media towed the line as well by praising a player like Costa (yes you Shearer) who has had no red cards in his time here but should have had about 7, all on video evidence as well. Those same pundits (yes you Shearer, but not in isolation) are the first to put their heads in their hands when England embarrassingly exit a tournament and demand we do something about the technical qualities of our footballers. Want to have your Eccles cake and eat it eh Alan?

You see media headlines like “Jose outfoxes Wenger yet again”. No mention of “Jose’s team blatantly cheats their way to victory backed by the immense incompetence and / or bias of the officials”.

It does make you think that the authorities are either very corrupt, like the happenings in Italy but just not found out yet, or that they are just genuinely scared of those clubs that bleat the loudest and adhere to a cheating and unsightly way of being both in their players on the pitch and their manager off it. To me it is like a cancer that has ruined this modern game.

If anything I accept Mourinho and “his Chelsea” for what they are.They are the out of control school bully that will just continue unless a strong teacher puts them in their place. I am really more saddened by the reactions or lack thereof of the governing bodies, and the media and pundits as a whole. Their sweeping it under the carpet / condoning of it / actual applauding of it (delete as appropriate) has placed football in this country in an extremely sad place IMO. Still just pass me off as another whingeing gooner I guess.

I suppose it is never too late for them to start to take action but it feels a little too late for me. It will take a long while for me to really enjoy this game over here again, obviously I continue to follow and support Arsenal, but to truly enjoy it ???

The whole circus over here with the F.A, EPL, appointment of England managers, Media, pundits e.t.c has made me not only fall out of love with the English game to the point of not really following the national team but has almost made me want the national team to fail miserably, as it is all we deserve for our short sighted arrogance and hypocrisy. And by the way I was once a fervent supporter of the national side.

GoonerB
    That 7% ratio was up until 2012/3, we’ve had a better record with him in charge recently. Well up until Saturday anyway.

I’m so gobsmacked that the FA has done the right thing today, I’m finding it hard to be angry anymore.

Here’s a more up-to-date view from Tim on Arseblog.
    Still anomalous, but let’s face it, he has a lot of catching up to do. πŸ™‚

Seemingly the right thing at the moment Chas, although Gabriel still likely to eventually get a 1 game ban so not much less than Costa. They still have 2 international forwards to cover in Remy and Falcao and have still got the most important thing of all through this farce, the 3 points (gained through cheating and official incompetence / bias) that would have quite likely been ours if we had faced a 10 man Chelsea.

By the end of his ban I bet it will have not affected them at all and they will still end up having won through that cheating and official incompetence. What message and lesson does that send to a club of Chelsea’s means and squad depth? Bugger all IMO. I get the feeling it will all end up being a token gesture of perceived justice rather than true reflective justice. Sorry Chas, still angry and p-ss-d off.

Also I can’t help but look at it in addition to the legit goal disallowed against Pool. That and a likely victory against 10 man Chavs is a 5 point swing. Joint top of the table on 15 points with Chavs down on 4 without Arsenal yet fully clicking into gear. How often have Fergies and Mourinho’s teams been praised for points tally’s like that before they have even started playing well, but for me they rarely get a dodgy big decision against them in the bigger games against key rivals.

155. When do we expect to receive an apology Dean?

156. The Cockie Monster says:

Diego da Silva Costa = I Costa Savage Dildo

157. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

So now I’m in shock, haven’t been interested in football, just checked BBC and see all the results of today’s actions.

Could have fallen off my chair.

Still 3 points we ain’t getting back and maybe one case where video review would be justified in match. Because keeping the game 11v11 or 10v10 in the first place would have been a far greater justice than this afterthought.

158. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Be interesting what happens with the improper conduct charge, you are guilty of remonstrating your dismissal which we don’t think was a straight red card anymore so effectively you were right to remonstrate.

One of my favourite tweets from the whole affair.
    This is from a Chelsea supporter.

Still makes me angry. πŸ™‚

Chas,

That pose at 6:51 is a bit …. unsettling??

Then I watched the balding Maureen spouting in your vid and I think there is a link betwixt the two. Yeuk.

imagine I go to a busy shopping centre and start slapping people about, elbow them in the face, scratch necks and kick sheens. All of this is recorded on CCTV and sent to police.

What do you reckon would happen? I am sure I will be arrested, charged, sentenced. If I did that again I would be jailed.

So how the hell Costa can do it week after week and all he gets is 3 match ban?? What happened to common assult, and ABH ? Is football a lawless world for thugs and corrupt referees?

164. Red Arnie says:

“Is football a lawless world for thugs and corrupt referees?”

Correct. Evonne. Football is no longer football, it is the abode for failed rugby players and bent officials who failed entry tests to the mafia.

165. Red Arnie says:

Chas @6:52. What does the picture mean? Why are there severed heads? Where is it from?

So many questions. πŸ™‚

arnie – how sad. I have to admit I am losing interest, I never thought it was possible.
    No, actually I am going to fight, a letter to the Metropolitan police on its way. I will publish it on their Facebook

Game day. My PM is probably more aggressive than normal thanks to my disappointment from the weekend

raddy – good! you know as well as all of us you cannot go through life being a happy hippie

oh – happy equinox Raddy x

how are our patients – Kelsey? Micky? Shard? how are you guys? thinking of you xxx

Posted on police FB. they are very good at replying, lets see what happens

170. OOOhhh…. Looking forward to a bit of aggressive Hippo πŸ™‚

Eddie. RA has also been in the wars!

Any one got a title for today’s post? I am struggling

“Sweet FA yesterday, Totnum today”

rasp πŸ™‚ quality!!!

RA – get better soon xx

Hippo,

How about;

‘Fortune Favours the Brave?’

175. How about ‘Raddys Angry Pre-match’ πŸ™‚

Any more? Something a bit more aggressive?

NB. It is more disparaging than angry

178. stevepalmer1 says:

Champions League has been a setback capital one i’s now on the agenda

Rasper’s is much more up-markey than my suggestion! πŸ™‚

Well you could say;

‘Fuck the lot of ’em!’

Could catch the eye. πŸ™‚

Sorry, Eddie, nearly missed your comment to me.

Thank you, much appreciated. πŸ™‚

Hippo,

We could show our class, and say my earlier motto in Latin.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

RA. Yours is far too classy for a BR PM

There is a New Post

Carling One Cup – Half Full or Half Empty?