Giroud has the last laugh

Arsenal secured their first win at home this season against a lacklustre Stoke City although they should have been out of sight within the opening minutes.

A lovely sunny day in London gave a feel for optimism as surely it was unthinkable for Arsenal to lose their first 3 homes games on the bounce. The last time that happened was 56 years ago. The day began with Arsenal supporters abusing the coaches taking the Stoke fans to the game. The looks of bewilderment on their faces was priceless as supporters were sticking up the two fingers and the verbals followed.

As the teams were announced there was much cheer that Theo Walcott was starting up front and the move had paid off. The Gunners started in blistering fashion bombarding their opponents. Theo went close as did Alexis hitting the upright as Jack Butland was a beaten man. Koscielny then had a spectacular 30 yard shot tipped over by the impressive Butland.

Then on 31 mins a sublime lofted ball from Mesut Ozil set Theo away and the touch and finish was both exquisite. The fans in Block 3 were left purring at the replay on the big screen. The fans really appreciated an assist and finish which was of the most highest order and Ozil was in his groove. There was a general consensus in the stands that Arsenal should have been at least 3 goals to the good which reflected their dominance.

The second half was a similar pattern where Arsenal dictated the play and more opportunities went begging with Theo and Ozil squandering chances. A lovely moment occurred when a young fan in the first row asked for Arteta’s shirt as he was warming up. The Spaniard and club captain then looked back with laughter and said “Haha I can’t give it to you now I might need it to play!” A lovely moment which shows footballers do have a sense of humour and can interact with fans.

Olivier Giroud was then introduced to the Arsenal faithful and his body language was questioned by some of the hardcore fans. It was evident to see he was low in confidence following the international break. This was epitomised in a chance which he fluffed which left Arsenal fans screaming blue murder and the fans were turning against him once again. It also raised the issue amongst the supporters in the lower tier about why the club did not invest in a world class forward a debate for another day.

image (1)

The Frenchman had the last laugh though as he met a Cazorla free kick to head home and earn Arsenal a fully deserved 3 points. The irony was the same fans who were chastising him only a few mins earlier were now singing his praises and chanting his name.

So Arsenal won at home again at last and the supporters now turned their attention to the big game next weekend in West London. Given the Chelski result earlier in the day there was hope amongst the fans that the Gunners can go to Stamford Bridge next weekend and get a result. Some fans stated that it would be a difficult game as they were heading for the exits but perhaps there is not a better chance to turn them over. Only time will tell how Arsenal build on this performance. It was also great to have a picture with Petr Cech and Gabriel! UTA!!

image (5)

image (4)

Written by Sir Hussein

146 Responses to Giroud has the last laugh

1. Red Arnie says:

Nice one SirA. 🙂 yours truly saw the game much the same way. No Wi-Fi today but will try to return later

2. goonerjake says:

Good win, should of been by bigger margin. Is theo the answer up front? Not sure. Maybe he needs a run up front, not clinical enough for me. Good match report by the way.

3. James says:

They’re both crap and proved it again yesterday despite goals against a Stoke team that is bottom of the table.

Well done SirH, sure would have been nice to score more goals, but at least we are creating chances. Butland had one of those days that our opponents keepers seem to from time to time.

5. Good day all, It’s nice to get the impressions of someone who was actually at the game, well done sir.

The best moment of the game was, for me, when Le Coq won the ball in mid-field releasing it for Mesut to play that wonderful pass to Theo for his goal. Superb football.

6. He’s back… the boufant man posted this just as the new post went up, so I’ve copied and pasted. Good to see you on form Kelsey 🙂

Morning.

I have quite a lot to say but just haven’t got the strength as yet but Shearer picked up the point that I made at least 2 years ago that theo is just too nice.
    His goal was made for him,one on one, using speed but as to the other chances he should have put away at least two of them despte Buckland as with nearly all keepers that come to our place,having a blinder.

I see flamini and Rosicky completely redundant to the squad, should have been sold or released and bellerin will remain first choice so debuchy will have to sit and wait.
    Giroud again showed that to put it nicely,he has no finesse but nevertheless took his goal well.

Ozil, I love him he has the vision of DB10.Cazorla back to his best and Coquelin geneally very good.

Not sure if Mertesacker will play so much in what will probably be his last season.
    Sanchez, don’t worry about him, the goals will come and the Ox needs more than ten minutes whilst ten minutes is just about enough for Arteta.
    Neither Walcott or Giroud is the answer if you are actually challenging for the title, but you can only play with the players you have, though with 3 players already on the long term injury list this could again be our downfall if one or two of our starters picks up an injury.

Money was there,loads of it but AW chose not to strengthen or couldn’t get who he wanted,whichever way you wan to look at it.

I thought our inter play was exceptional yesterday and 6 or 7 goals wouldn’t have flattered us.
    Now we have a list of big matches every few days and we should get a better picture.
    Finally Ramsey needs to cut out the hollywood passing and hopefully once he scores he will be our biggest goal threat along with Sanchez.

Give me a month or two and I hopefully will return.Oh by the way I don’t like those mucky gold away shirts.

7. If Sunderland beat the Spuds today, they drop into the relegation zone…. we could be celebrating St Totterings day at Christmas 😀

8. Well done Soixante Neuf, and a double well done to Kelsey I’m sure we all look forward to you once more becoming a regular contributor, and best wishes for your continuing recovery and I agree about the dismal away shirts.

Next up Wednesday night away to Dynamo Zagreb, what’s the crystal ball saying about that one?

Great stuff. Thank you Sir H and fine pics.

Much easier after an easy victory against a side missing 3 important players (Adams/Shacross/Affelay).

I cannot remember a less aggressive Stoke side – they were pants, but then we made them look pants by our excellent play.

Sunderland in the few minutes I have watched them are relegation fodder and if Spurs cannot beat them then Oh how we can laugh 🙂

So good to see a comment from Kelsey, I hope you regain your strength very soon as we miss your sage contributions on AA.

The commentator said during the game that sooner or later some poor unsuspecting team is going to get a real pasting at the hands of Arsenal – lets hope Chelsea are the victims of the pasting!!

11. Red Arnie says:

Thinking back about the game, I remain a bit unhappy with Rambo. I saw him as a weak link yesterday.

I am happy with Theo getting substantial time as CF. We need a back up for Giro. Let us be patient and see whether his conversions improve. 🙂

12. Red Arnie says:

Kelsey. 🙂

GN5. “lets hope Chelsea are the victims of the pasting” 🙂

13. Red Arnie says:

some rubbish photos follow. 🙂

14. Red Arnie says:

15. Red Arnie says:

16. Red Arnie says:

A few stats from Teamtalk.com

Theo Walcott scored for a ninth successive Premier League season.

Walcott has scored 11 goals in his last 11 starts in the Premier League

Theo Walcott has scored four of Arsenal’s last five Premier League goals in first half of Premier League games.

Olivier Giroud scored only his second goal in his last 12 Premier League appearances.

Arsenal conceded only six fouls in this game – no side have made fewer in the PL this season (40).

Arsenal mustered 29 shots (inc. blocked) in this match, more than any other team in any other Premier League game this season.

23 of those 29 shots for Arsenal came from inside the penalty area.

Mesut Ozil has created 76 goalscoring chances in the Premier League in 2015, more than any other player.

S

18. Red Arnie says:

sorry, that should be Shard anticipating Theo’s goal. 😛

Cheers, Sir H.

The “fans” sat near me were very similar to the ones near you.
    They don’t seem to appreciate the irony in their up and down behaviour towards certain players.
    Giroud will just have to keep scoring to keep them off his back.
    2 goals in 5 games (3 starts) isn’t too shabby, as is our 10 points from 15 considering the team is yet to hit form (yesterday was progress though).

Eddie
    You challenged me to find a game where we scored a high proportion of a low number of chances.

Well a game that sprang to mind was last season’s 3-0 away to Villa.
    I just looked it up and we scored those 3 goals from 9 shots, only 3 of which were on target.

To contrast with yesterday, we had 29 shots with 12 on target and scored 2.
    Though in mitigation, we hit the woodwork twice (I think) and Butland made several excellent saves.

RA
    The big man in this morning’s photo is New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony visiting the stadium yesterday.

22. Red Arnie says:

Spurs score late in the game. 😦

23. Spuds didn’t deserve that, I thought Sunderland were the better team and were denied twice by the woodwork. Shame… I was looking forward to see them Tottering in a relegation spot.

What a crap afternoon of sport.

Spurs luck a win and England smashed in the cricket 😦

If Newcastle win tomorrow, the chavs are in the relegation zone. 🙂
    #lookingforpositives

Thanks SirH and thanks to Steve for yesterday’s pre-match. Pleased for the win and our general play. Also pleased that Theo and Ollie got goals. I like that Theo gets into many goal-scoring positions but I am hoping both he and Giroud start to become more clinical with their chance conversion rate. This will be critical in the tougher games and could define our season.

Looked back on yesterdays comments and Arnie’s comment (with reference to yours truly) comparing Theo and Ollie statistically brought a smile to my face. 🙂

Thanx, Chas, I thought it might be – but I also thought it was brain scramble — looked a bit like J Emmanuel Thomas. 😀

RA
    Yep, it does look like JET, though being taller than the BFG is a bit of a stretch (don’t excuse the pun, at all). 🙂

Statistics damn statistics!!

Our results to date 2015/16

P5,W3,D1,L1,Pts10,GF5,GA3,GD2

Our 24 year EPL average after 5 games.

P5,W3,D1,L1,Pts10,GF9,GA5,GD4.

30. The Leicester Villa game was brilliant… just a shame Leicester won and now move into 2nd place on 11 points.

Bum. I turned off with AV two up!!

Some people thought it was all over

That was an impressive response, Leicester fans make a fair bit of noise in the King Power and didn’t seem to give up.

Nathan Dyer is a bit of a steal for them, he is always good value.

I’ve just been racking off my blackberry wine for the first time and I’m such a messy, clumsy git, I had this in my mind while doing it. 🙂

The Leicester supporters were excellent when we played them at the King Power last season – very noisy and, well, sort of supportive.

Meanwhile the Arsenal fans were singing, ‘Sign a f*ckin striker’ (Sanogo was playing).

The Leicester fans thought it was hilarious.

Our next 3 EPL games are Chelsea (A) Leicester (A) Man U (H)
    with 2 CL games and Spurs (A) in the LC as well. It’s a very nervy prospect and will definitely show us what our team’s made of – I’m an eternal optimist but I find it hard to be overly optimistic looking at that schedule.

By the way. I’m not sure if the photos yesterday showed the true glory of Shard’s birthday card for JC which finally arrived from India.

Here is the drawing of JC inside the card (not sure it was all that visible yesterday in the brilliant Islington sunshine). 🙂
    I’ve darkened it up a bit.

Thanks, Shard and thanks to every one else, too.

Arnie’s oft-repeated question to JC yesterday was,
    ‘How do you put up with them?’ (meaning Ant and me).

This is a sentiment which has been expressed on here previously. 🙂

GN5
    One game at a time. 🙂

39. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Good report sir,,
    Some of the photo’s put up look like they were well away from the pitch, A couple of times my seat has been well away, and my old bins aint what they used to be.

Strangely when i got home and watched the highlights, it looked a different game to the one i attended. I have sat in the Gods where you need a telescope to recognise many of the players but certain players give off a good give away, specially the tall ones.

Sadly i watched this match at home, but i have to say the picture was pretty clear, not much atmosphere as the Mrs was watching another program on the tv while i had ear phones on from the lap top’

Theo scored and i went Ballistic, I take it they have scored she yelled as she came down from the ceiling, and i nodded, she was not impressed. I admire you guys and gal’s who turn up and make the atmosphere for those of us who cannot get there. Your singing and your support is second to none. Well done all of you.

Sir A thank you.

Chas do you reckon there’s a cut off point when teams not recognised with being Premier a league teams get comfortable in their surroundings and switch off the noise?

Swansea, Leicester and Palace all seem to have had very noisy stadiums when they arrived back in the PL, without any scientific evidence apart from my ears which in turn rely on effects mics in ground I would say that Stoke used to be a hotbed but not so much anymore, Swansea is quietening I think. But then I don’t think St Mary’s is exceptionally noisy or Carrow Road for that matter, although they of course have a history of being there previously.

GN5 I have no worries about those games, we have to play them all sometime or other, you could argue getting ManUre and Chavs out of the way while the League table is just taking shape is a good thing, much rather the must win games between Xmas and Easter are against teams who are maybe not fighting for honours alongside you.

42. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi GiE

Hope you and the family are well. Sorry for the unnecessary negativity (but as I repeated a few times, it was a e-mail that was invented into a post by Rasp).

Despite the amount of money being poured into PL, the product isn’t that exciting. The competition as a whole isn’t competitive and open enough, and we’re witnessing a real lack of quality strikers for various reasons.
    A few clubs maintain their two up top ethos, but most now pack the midfield and go with a lone striker. This must be because of the enormous pressure placed on managers not to lose and thus tactically a more defensive mentality has evolved.
    Witness the first-half performance of England v Switzerland. It was stone-dead flat. Yes, the PL games are better quality and somewhat faster, but the same can be said of the first half at Old Trafford yesterday. Our own club Arsenal have been involved in quite a few dead games.
    Maybe it’s a little of that, plus the changing nature of both club and supporter.

Thanks for the match report. There are days when the stars align and we can play breath-taking football. It’s always against the same level of opposition, nevertheless a welcome three points.

GIE, I think you’ve probably hit the nail on the head.

Maybe the away support is more vociferous because there’s that element of venturing into the unknown.
    At home there’s more of a sense of the familiar and a concomitant expectation.

I hope Bournemouth stay up.
    I love it that I don’t know any of their players. Just had a look at their team and did recognise Boruc, their goalie.
    He was the one who tried to break Eduardo in two, wasn’t he? 🙂

It was that Herbert Chapman bloke who started the rot goals-wise in the top division when he ditched the 2-3-5 formation for something more defensive.
    Something more sophisticated, some might say, but nevertheless, that’s when the rot set in.

45. Herb'sArmy says:

Ha ha Chas, we did score 127 goals in 1930-31 when we won our first title.
    Though second-place Villa (led by ‘Pongo’ Waring) out-scored us with 128.

Herb I think what’s lost in the modern era (and by modern I mean the last 5-10 years) is the need for instant success and the need for teams to survive financially.

Very few teams are built on years of planning when they are and stick to a specific model and way of playing it proves very fruitful, look at Swansea, the Chairman ensures the new manager is happy to continue playing their “style” of football, the players acquired can play that system they do not need to buy awhile new squad every time they change manager. Southampton are similar in this regard. Others like Sunderland swing to their managers whim and end up with many players who are unusable and are unable to grow and develop.

Like Chas I hope Bournemouth survive, I also wanted Burnley to stay up for similar reasons, but if they do get relegated I don’t see them sacking their managers they have a long term plan and in truth are probably ahead of it and season in the PL will just aid the financial security of the club. QPR are the proof that spending all your PL money doesn’t guarantee a better outcome, but at least Burnley and Bournemouth will not be stuck with overpaid unsellable players.

Ah, but the worst season in the top flight’s history, in terms of goals per game is 1970-71.
    Would we really want that season expunged from our memories?

Rank….Season………Goals………Matches……Goals per game
    117……1970/1971…..1089……….462…………..2.3571

48. Herb'sArmy says:

I’m largely in agreement with you, GiE, especially with the sentiments towards Burnley and Bournemouth.
    They are proof that with the right philosophy and intelligence to utilise it effectively, smaller clubs can make it and survive among the bigger clubs.
    Swansea’s is a fantastic journey, and they’ve been very shrewd with their transfer business. Andre Ayew offered his services to Liverpool in the summer, their loss is definitely Swansea’s gain.
    Jonjo Shelvey is another Liverpool deemed not good enough. Gary Monk has done a great job to keep the momentum going.
    QPR are similar to Portsmouth, in that they allowed Harry Redknapp to drain their money at an alarming rate. Who but Harry would have given a busted Rio Ferdinand £80k a week?
    There are some very strange and costly decisions in football.
    My overall fear for Arsenal, GiE, is that if they don’t make the right decisions in the key areas, they could be left behind for the forseeable future.
    Naturally I hope I’m wrong.

50. The game has been forced to change by a distinct lack of quality strikers. Arsenal searched for one during the summer, apparently the only serious options were Benzema and Cavani. Towards the end of the transfer window even Charlie Austin was suggested as a possible candidate. Liverpuddle bought Ings and Benteke. Man U signed Martial for a ridiculous fee. Do any of those players look like world beaters to you?

We have Giroud and possibly Walcott, but we are going to have to rely on goals from our mid-fielders if we want to win anything.

The club academies are just not producing big, bustling, old fashioned centre-forwards any more. As a result wingers are going out of fashion because there’s no body to get on the end of crosses. So everybody is crowding into to the central area and trying to.pass their way into the box.

The Intricate patterns weaved by tricky mid-fielders are fascinating in their own way, but I miss the blood and thunder created by a traditional No. 9. I also miss the goals.

Like in 1970-71.

52. Herb'sArmy says:

1970-71 is my favourite season, Chas, particularly because it came from nowhere. We got beat 5-0 that season by Stoke at the old Victoria Ground, plus they gave us an epic FA Cup semi-final battle.
    Charlie George spent an age out injured but came back in time to crown the season off in glory.
    Find of the year must surely have been Ray Kennedy, who Shankly went on to re-invent as a central midfielder for Liverpool and England.
    Unsung heroes would probably be Bob McNab, Peter Simpson and Geordie Armstrong.

53. Herb'sArmy says:

Mourinho is heading for the sack at Chelsea, either before the Arsenal game, or soon. His treatment of their medical staff is embarrassing him and the club. Rumours of a training ground bust-up between Terry and Costa too.
    This should be a good time to play them.

Herb – i sincerely hope you are right about dispeakable Maureen. But Tim Sherwood might be first to bite the dust, shame, nice guy and a Gunner

Morning Kelsey, nice comment yesterday. It’s soooo goooood to have you back pet

“concomitant”
    Poncey word

Thank you SirH. Been with wonky internet since Saturday, so unable to get busy on here

Have enjoyed many of the pics

Eddie/Herb
    I really hope Maureen doesn’t get the boot, as it is so nice to hate absolutely everything about Chelsea

Eddie having just watched Timmy’s tots emosh interview I think it’s fair to say he isn’t cut out for modern day football management, or any era management really. It’s all well and good wearing your heart on your sleeve, but you should be able to be disappointed and still conduct a simple interview without looking like you’re going to burst into tears.

Ha ha ha Micky 🙂 my mother made a mistake of asking me why I hate Chelsea. I am still explaining…….

GiE – i know, I cried with him 😦 bless him

GiE – only in England though. It is perfectly acceptable for men to cry in public in the rest of Europe

Eddie I have no issue with crying men, i do have a problem when someone loses it emotionally in what is a fairly ordinary situation, fair enough if you just lost in a Workd Cup Final, not on a regular PL game

63. The Cockie Monster says:

I sobbed uncontrollably when Totnumb scored yesterday !…………up until then it was a decent kind of day, I`d pulled a calf muscle, got kicked by one of the missus`s horses and she punched me in the face for having the audacity to groan in agony in case I hurt the horses feelings !.

Chas,

I ove your comments with their concomitant surprises. 🙂

[I posted this with a ‘humorous’ name and it went into spam – serves me right.] 🙂

Cockle,

She knows you never groan unless you get kicked in the gonads – by her! 😀

Kelsey,

Eddie is right – it was good to see that you are almost ready to rejoin the fray – and the thought of seeing your impossible Pre-match Posts and result predictions written after the game has finished, and your wonderful match reports, for those games you never even saw are something beautiful to behold. 😀

Hurry back!

GIE/Eddie,

Crying in public is something to avoid for most men, and crying in private is reprehensible, unless you see Cockie’s Mrs kick him somewhere sensitive — then it is OK to cry with laughter. 😀

68. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all.
    Reading some of the comments on here for guys crying made me smile, For years i have thought it wrong for a man to cry, no matter how sad things are, I remember my Father died when i was seventeen and at the wake my uncle said its ok to cry mate, , but still i held my feelings in, what is it with Englishmen ,

Now and again i watch some films that the Mrs likes, just because there on, and now and again i find myself getting choked up, but still i fight it off.

I have seen Arsenal lose in finals and that has hurt me badly,I get angry but never cry, I find i have moods after a defeat as i am not a good loser at all. I admire Wenger when we all know we have played Pony and still the man has good things to say about players.

Many’s the time, i see Wenger get stick after a bad loss, and never have i seen him throw his toys, he must be livid inside but the man has control, Being sent to the stands at United, and the guy went back as far as he could and still the ref tried to belittle him and he held his arms up and shrugged. Proper Manager.

I find now i am getting older that i am now softening, i find that some of the comments on here can bring a tear at times , but what nearly always gets to me are some of the stories of one or two of the clowns on here they bring tears but for enjoyment, how is that different.

69. I cry at the end of some films… at the end of ‘Love Actually’ was one specific instance… and at the end of ‘Million Dollar Baby’ and at the end of ‘Snatch’ because I liked Brick Top. I’m a prime candidate to shed a few tears during a sad film LOL

70. stevepalmer1 says:

Your all Heart NB 🙂

71. stevepalmer1 says:

Champ, almost got me NB, dont know if you have seen it, but a good one to steer clear of.

72. Steve…. just the title ‘Champ’ has got my tear ducts moist…. I don’t think I should watch it. 😀

73. stevepalmer1 says:

🙂

74. Right, I’m offski…. a bit late for the bar today, people to see, dogs to see about men and the sun is shining after a couple of days of storms here in the south. bye-ski

Nice Sir

We battered them. Should have been 5-0. Coq, Kos, and Sanchez were different class.

I was at the game but gutted I didnt have time to go for the pre match drink. Missed out on meeting Arnie and Shard. Shame really, i was planning to run through a script with them on a Bollywood extravaganza starring us three on the roof of a fast moving train

A bunch of bandits led by a man with a dodgy moustache and drooping eye are after the gold bullion which is needed to save an orphan school from closure, and droopy eye is also after the fit bird who fancies me.

in the ensuing battle, Shard gets shot 187 times but still manages to dance his way to the drivers controls averting the train from crashes. Unfortunately shard succumbs to his wounds, but not before he manages a last post on AA rebuking those who dare question Wenger.

Arnie kills over 1000 bandits, but is distracted when the fit bird tells him that she has no interest in men who walk around wearing unzipped leather jackets with no clothing underneath and is secretly bonking me. As the camera zooms in to a heart broken Arnie, Droopy eye shoots him in the gonads, Arnie does one final dance before dropping, but you can tell he is in considerable discomfort.

Finally, after killing off the reaming 5000 bandits, its me and the moustached villain. He threatens to expose me to my family that I am a bankrupt and lied about passing my Doctor exams. This makes me mad so I get him in a headlock and shove 500 rupees into his unseemly orifice

The film ends with me and the fit bird doing a synchronized dance on the top of the fast moving train. Of course, after the film i make love to her. No women can resist a man in a leather waistcoat exposing a hairy chest and gold medallion.

Men who do not cry are obvious psychopaths. I only cry when Arsenal lose or see a film scene were John Hurt is bullied by a brute with big forearms. So ime all right.

76. Peaches/Rasp, post submitted to arsenalnuts.

77. stevepalmer1 says:

Quality 🙂 I’ve Started

78. RC78 says:

Walcott has 11 goals in 11 starts for Arsenal.

He should have 16 given the chances he is given…

That said, if he score 25 goals in 25 starts for us and these goals come in 25 games – I am all for it 🙂 especially if they give us 3 points

I think Terry really needs to work on being a bit more imaginative. Far too plain and normal for my liking. Still I can see mileage in his Bollywood script.

I cry at the end of Fever Pitch…..well not right at the end when it gets all mushy just the depiction of the reactions to that goal….. 🙂

Also to get in early I’m planning a trip to London with the whole family at start of October, thankfully that includes United game, we won’t be going in the ground but thought we might pop in with the boys to soak up a bit of pre match 🙂

82. RC78 says:

Good news of the game against Stoke was the return of form of Sanchez and Cazorla…

Agreed RC. We do create a lot of chances for our strikers in general but part of me wonders whether Walcott creates a lot of these opportunities himself due to pace and movement off the defenders. Often he is latching onto balls at pace that other strikers maybe wouldn’t get too so I am relatively calm about his conversion rate currently, and feel it is because of his attributes and style that he creates a lot of goal-scoring moments. Not all of them are easy chances but for me the important thing is he is getting into those positions and is still giving a healthy return even if he misses a couple of slightly easier ones. Strikers generally improve their clinical efficiency with runs of games anyway and Theo has been a bit in / out and stop / start as a striker.

Cry babies, honestly. Thank Dennis for Didit

Looking forward meeting junior Exiles

GB – I’ll bet you any money that Theo will get injured this side of Xmas. BTW – nb where is my fiver?

85. RC78 says:

GB – Giroud also gets a lot of chances with a totally different style. It is just that our team has players that create chances, which is great. Now TW and OG need to find the net more regularly 🙂 Let s continue with TW for a while and give him a run at CF and hope that he can cement his place with strong performances

RC/GB,

I would really love to hear/read all about Theo, again and again and ag……

I am particularly interested in this 11 goals in11 starts for Arsenal.

Were they at the rate of 1 per game – in a run of 11 games?
    Or were they the aggregation of 11 goals with a couple of goals in easy games as well as nothing in others?

Is it just possible that these ‘starts’ were at the beginning and end of lengthy injury lay-offs covering – oh, I don’t know – maybe two years?

If it was — then 11 goals in two years sounds …….

I cannot wait to hear what it all means — and Arsene obviously has great confidence that Theo will become an instinctive goal scorer given more time – and frankly at 26 years old he has bags of time to practice – by the time he is 40 Theo might have cracked it. Or not. 😀

More Theo chat —- mmmm yummy!

They may have been speaking Theo-retically RA

True GN5. Theo will never be a top striker, hes to light weight. Maybe lead the line for a boy band but not Arsenal. Simon Cowell will “I really really like you Theo”, obviously meaning “I wear leather pants walcott, do you?”

So it could be a situation of Theo-rectally

Afternoon all 😀

Would Giroud have been in position to have scored Theo’s first goal in the FA Cup Final? Would Giroud have been quick enough to latch on to the through pass from Ozil for the first goal on Saturday …. no to both.

Would Theo have scored the header that Giroud got in the same game? …. no

The 2 players are poles apart in their skill sets and in the style of play and service they require from the team. A truly top class striker would combine the skills of both.

We don’t have that so we must be clever and play them in the games where their particular attributes will be most effective against the opposition.

90. Fantastic Terry! 😀

Evening All,

Love the Bollywood script. We should ask Didit for a spare fifteen million to put it into production.

Come on Didit – it’s a great plan in Theo-ry

92. Come on then Redders, let’s talk about Theo in secret session of course. 😀

I do think Theo’s role is more in keeping with the modern style of play whereas Giroud is more of an old fashioned centre forward. No doubt Giroud can hold the ball up better than Theo but he is far less effective when running at defenders. I think half the time when Giroud is attempting his clever flicks it is because he is not mobile enough to turn with the ball.

They could both work harder on the defensive side of their game. Giroud is very good at defending corners against us whereas there is very little point in Theo coming back for corners, he may as well stay on the half way line to prevent the opposition’s defensive line getting too far forward.

In truth, I don’t see much to choose between the 2 very different strikers – so it’s just down to which (if either) can move up to the next level ….. my guess would be Theo since what he lacks can be learned whereas Giroud’s shortcomings are genetic.

Hi Rasper,

I totally agree that we have to always support the players representing the club and the team demand that loyalty.

I am more than happy to back both Giro and Theo — they are the guys in situ and good players too.

What they are not is top, top strikers to coin a phrase – well to pinch Arsene’s phrase, of course. They will do for us, at the moment.

I really do not know who we could have bought in the Summer who was better than out current two, as neither Benzema nor any other name I have seen being bandied about seem prolific goalscorer – as we are where we are.

On the other hand, with the chances being made by our midfield maestros I get the impression we should expect a higher rate of conversions into goals, which given that both Theo and Giro seem to miss four or five chances to every goal they score is disappointing, especially as some of them could be scored with a rebound off a cow’s ass. 🙂

Time to stop agonising about what we have not got and to be grateful for what we do have. 🙂

I have no argument with you there Redders 🙂

The long term aim should be to recruit a top striker – or a player with the potential to be a top striker whilst we still have GiroCott

Welbeck could make a good GiroCott, I still think there is a lot to come from our Manc

That’s a bit harsh, Rasp — “Giroud’s shortcomings are genetic” as he is certainly not short, but if you were instead referring to his ability to look like a man in a three-legged race, whenever he chases the ball, then that is a shameful three-legged-ism.

Good call LB, he needs to stay fit and get a run of games. I hate to say it, but I think the Mancs calculated risk on Martial could pay off as he looks to have real potential – but I also appreciate he would never have come to the Arsenal.

We need a ‘Martial’ when he’s a year or two younger before the big spenders come sniffing. Having said that, I think Jeff could be just such a player – shame he’s not an out and out striker …. but you never know … he may turn out to be?

RA, I’m referring to Giroud’s ‘running through treacle’ism’ 🙂

Hi Norfolk,

When you say you would like to – talk about Theo in a secret session with me – that’s not another way of saying you have a bag of toffee is it? 🙂

If you are referring to my opening comment at 4:08, I am afraid I fell asleep typing it – and when I awoke to complete the message I could not remember what I was drivelling on about.

GB has that affect on me.

Oh, yes, I remember now – I was going to suggest that those like Eddie, you and GB who doubt Theo’s efficacy at CF should be publicly de-bagged as ‘flat-earthers’, and then I realised that you and Eddie probably go commando anyway, and GB would see it as a badge of honour!! 😀

That’s disgraceful, Raspy — some of the tastiest things contain treacle.

Altho’ now you mention it – The thighs of Giro do not seem to move when he runs, as if he had something strapped to them – and it is only the from the knees down is there any sign of movement.

The-size-of-the-thighs-ism perhaps? 😀

Just had a quick look at shot accuracy.
    Aguerro has 64% shot accuracy – 1 goal from 15 shots
    Giroud has 60% shot accuracy – 2 goals from 13 shots
    Walcott has 55% shot accuracy – 1 goal from 11 shots
    for comparison
    Alexis has 46% shot accuracy – 0 goal from 25 shots

Pfffft – statistics.

103. stevepalmer1 says:

We seem to agree that both our strikers need a run of games, not really much doubt about that, seeing how we have nobody else. I am a bit surprised when people say there are no strikers available, when every team that plays football has usually a front man, and when i watch football on TV goals are scored by these players every week..

Theo has been a bit time player all the time he has been with us, Theo is not i ‘ll say that again unless anybody didn’t hear Theo is not a centre forward, at best he is a right winger who doesn’r take on fullbacks, His crossing of the ball was always questionable in his winger days.

Theo does however score goals, however he scores or how many 11 goals in 11 starts is still some going, but a very tough defence usually has a damming effect on him.

I honestly believe had Stoke had their full tam out Saturday Theo would have been handled. Theo Daniel or Oliver will all get chances till the next window, personally i believe the Manager who i feel is a little too kind hearted has told them all, show me what you can do this season and if anyone of you shows quality you may just qualify to be back up for the new man coming.

I have great respect for our Manager but where Shearer said that Theo has to get a nasty side i feel that could be said of Wenger. Where it has been stated that Arsenal had a treasure chest of a hundred and fifty Million, i don’t believe that at all. Wenger has the experience to know that who we have are not good enough and when he says he was looking for strikers and the world is full of them i can only think that the £150 million was not available for this window. Theo-notgoodenough.

RA, For a man that doesn’t want to talk about Theo you sure get dragged into the discussion a lot.

I think that cunning Rasp is the man responsible – so you need to sort him out!

For what it’s worth (sweet FA) I like both Walcott and Giroud as they both bring different skill sets to the game and that can cause a real problem for opposing defenses.

Look at Costa – Mourinho’s golden boy from last season he’s shooting blanks and Mourner even added Falco – the Man U failure to bolster his offense and that equals more blanks.

If I had the choice between those two pairs of “strikers” I would stick with our two.

Oops I forgot to mention that Chelsea are paying Costa and Falco around 350,000 quid a week – and they seen to be on strike instead of striking.

Having watched Chavs these last few weeks I think the key to beating them on the weekend will be width and clever runs, therefore I hope we start Alexis, Ollie, Theo, the wide men will have a field day. We can’t expect Monreal or Bellerin to do much support work as we are up against two good wingers, so we need to match up. Also I hope it’s Gabriel & Kozzer vs Costa. I don’t think either will be ruffled by Costas antics and I think they will make him pay if he tries any of his underhand nonsense.

108. stevepalmer1 says:

Well i am sorry, my comment seemed to break up the thread.

I was a centre forward for 30 years, not a good one but got to play nearly every game. Grass roots footb all is a far cry from Premier league so really what do i know.

Premier or grass roots the idea is that strikers score goals . Goals make points, never mind what league your in. I had seasons where ,my name was in the local paper every week Palmer scores Nap hand, Palmers hat trick. Small fry i can hear many of you say and of course you are right. Unless you are special, you will see your football career out in the quality you started with, Yes we had scouts from big clubs but i was like the many who were deemed not good enough to take the next step up. Heartbreaking when you have been brought up with a ball forever on the end of your foot.

The reality became clear after a really fine season where i scored goals at will, and no knock on the door . iwas nearing 20 and knew my time for bigtime had past me by, but because i loved the game played on untill it got too much for me. Of course always being reasonable at sports you take up another sport and you play that sport as good as you can, enjoyable yes but its not football.

My 30 odd years as a centre forward was in a time when toughness was a big part you learn a lot in a game when there is only a referee, where linesmen were a supporter from both sides big centre halves and deadly full backs all with the same thing in mind hit that CF and lay the bugger out. Grass roots teaches you to be tough, hit them with everything you had, and watch your back, always remembering what hurts them the most, a goal against them, i lived for those moments.

I look at our guys we have at Arsenal, far better than i could ever had been even though these guys are not top quality, but what do i see , when a corner is being taken where are these players starting from, usually they will be around the six yard box and with todays game usually with a pair of arms around you, Even when the ball heads your way you are often wrestled to the ground .

In my day, i took up my position behind the penalty spot on the edge of the box, no defender likes to be that far out on corners, i waited till the player kicked the ball and measured where i felt the ball would fall, and timed my run to meet it, for a start i had no marker , the next i am not caught out at the far post when a short one comes over and lastly a man coming from the edge of the box has momentum to jump which gives a huge advantage. Little things you learn and when goals are scored you do the same until it doesnt.

We are talking about strikers for a couple of days no word about our keeper or our full backs no mention of our defenders why not, because we feel they are good enough thats why.

109. Transplant @ 1pm…. 😀 😀 😀

110. Hey Steve… I was an excellent centre back on Hackney marshes… I modelled myself on Frank Mclintock…. I was fucking hard, not many forwards got past me.. ha ha ha

111. Red Arnie says:

NorthBank. Surely that was intended to get me out of my slumber. 🙂

Down with a flu. 😦

112. Arnie…Living in Scotland Flu must be fairly common place… I have no sympathy 🙂

Steve, I would have been rushing at you with arms extended, fists clenched and knee up for good measure….us Goalkeepers always got away with murder.

Like you I played a lot of grass roots having been released by Brentford around 15, like you I waited for the call, a couple of clubs put me on contract because they felt sure I’d get taken up and they’d get a fee. I probably gave up the level I was playing at too young (I was around 26). But in truth it became less enjoyable and harder to keep a career and football going so I went with career. Our ambitions each season were FA Vase (a dream) FA Cup 1st round proper, closest I got was 2 prelims away. I should have probably joined a Sunday side but in truth I couldn’t do it, a couple of years backs used to play a vets kick about at one of the power leagues, I could never play in goal as it was too easy, I had to play out.

Having played against some ex pros at the end of their career I can tell you the difference between the top flight and the non league is in the head. I played against Kerry Dixon when he was pushing 40, my centre backs didn’t see the ball if it got played to him for 90 minutes, they also somehow failed to be able to stay tight to him whenever the ball was played into the box, and when he hadn’t at his feet I didn’t have a clue which way he was going to shoot until it left his boot and was already hurtling towards me.

The thing is we all watch the game from TVor in the stands and think what we would do what pass we would make, our only frame of reference is our own experience, I guarantee you in the Premier League the one thing you’d have less of than anything else is time, Premier League players are quicker in everything they do, the best players (DB10, Cantona etc) always seem to have more time than anyone else.

I really enjoyed watching the Liverpool game from ringside, it reminded me just how quick the ball is played and just how skilful these players have to be to survive in the PL

114. Bollo.. The Hammers beat Newcastle so the Chavs don’t drop into the relegation zone… so next weekend when we give ’em a thrashing at Stamford Bridge they’ll drop down to 19th.

115. Red Arnie says:

No, not that bad, NB. I brought mine from south of the border. 😛

116. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening GIE and NB.

Of course we all played the game ourselves, and of course even at our level the skill set was different, I agree how these Premier guys are many levels better than us, even at grass roots we had a premier league and they showed a skill set higher. My comment was not meant to say i know better it was just a suggestion that certain things could be thought out better,

In my time i saw some real good Keepers, they are a breed of their own, when to come and when to stay even catches out modern Premier keepers, i watch them when a penalty is awarded and the things they do to try and put the taker off. Today of course most keepers watch video’s of takers to see where they prefer to put the ball, so at least they had something to go to, in our day a guess was all you had.

As you say Exile, i certainly felt a few keepers fists and knee’s a tough old breed alright.

NB you know what i am talking about, you know the game mate, i had bruises from guys like you every game but they had some from me as well, as i sain in last comment, its not always about toughness its about winning, get your goal in and your on a winner 🙂

117. Red Arnie says:

As a kid, I used to be a defender as well, but nowhere as talented as you lot! 🙂

Wow, some great stories about your football careers.

Yes, GIE has the physique of a man entertaining a host, Steve is so determined the Army uses him as a mine field tester, and the only way to stop 69 from kicking you is to show him a pornographic image with just the right shade of grey.

Thats the problem. No one gives a toss about those who cock a finger drinking tea or indulged witty repoirtee with Bamber Gascoigne.

Ime the only man at games who cheers when Ozil or Walcott duck a tackle. Look, I once rang the police in the middle of the night saying someone had broken in my house and was following me. When they asked what he looked like I said hes wearing a black ninja outfit and is very fast because he keeps disapearing when i turn on the light. He also has a very small penis.

Sunday league football is a brutish experience. When we used to turn up in the morning, If I spotted the other team had just one player that had the glaze eyed look of a hung over psychopath, i would turn round and go home.

To much physical contact and fights for my liking. To prepare and escape the customary punch up I would set up a barbecue behind a near by tree.

One particular game against a team of scaffolders, I just happend to make a comment to one of there players that he resembled a man with obvious split personalities. The geezer went mad and started chasing me round the pitch. The game quickly descended into a mass punch up, so doing the honourable thing I sneaked over to the tree and commenced skewing my meat.

After about 20 minutes I heard a shout of “Weres that wanker who started it? That Kojack tosser who called me a splitting person. Ive never f*ucking run from anything in my life” and then “Dont know were hes gone Barry, but some one better ring the fire brigade, that bleeding tree is on fire”

I wright this for all of those who live in fear.

119. stevepalmer1 says:

Terry, your quick wit would have saved you without question, I would imagine you as a man who has brains over matter. A very clever man who probably is or has been very successful, You have a unique talent mate that should be bottled and sold.

Anybody like you on a site like this, is a pleasure to read, you can make even the most serious supporter take a step back and smile. I may have it all wrong and you could be a man who has spent too many years behind bars, with plenty of time on your hands.

Either way mate you lighten the load and would definitely be missed. WShen i first came on this site and read a few of your true life stories 🙂 i thought what the fuck is this guy talking about, after a month i was looking for your comments and laughing to myself shitless. as i said Unique is the word i would use and i would not like to blog without a gem every day, good on ya son. Got to work today so maybe catch you all later.

Still no internet. Saturday BT say. Yeah right.
    So being economical with dongle until we move broadband back into the ether.

Anyhow, on the back of Arsene’s complete failure in the transfer window, I am very pleased with the way things are going 🙂

Chas
    Loved the donkey pics the other day. Donkeys make me smile 🙂

Micky – did you see a video of a donkey chasing a Greek farmer?
    Iro disastrous TW – get over it!

Theo-retically 🙂

Get over it Eddie? You kidding.

I am not letting Arsene off the hook that easily. We could have really taken steps forward this season with a worldy up top, now all our hopes lie with Theo adapting. He might, but…. 🙂

I really really want to see that vid.

We had a pet donkey called Dudley as children, and you know my mad polish friend, well he husband forgot their 10th wedding anniversary, so she attacked him. That afternoon he came home with two donkeys. He summons them with a bugle!

Sorry, “she” bugles them

Ha ha ha 🙂 excellent

What’s not done is not done, eff all we can do about it but look forward to January

My question of the day, and its serious and genuine.

Can our best footballers play against Zagreb AND Chelsea in three days. Both are massive, whereas Totnum next week isn’t, so I’d play reserves in that one

Can they? They have no flipping choice

ha ha ha 🙂

I don’t know Eddie. According to some, they get tired travelling ffs

On this day 2007.

Is it possible to watch this without it being slightly tainted by Adebayor, Fabregas and vPersie playing for us?

Love the donkey vid 😀

Hard to believe that Adebayor is so tainted that he is “let go” by a small club.

For a couple of seasons he was mustard

133. RC78 says:

For Zagreb, let us not play our A team. We should be able to dispose off them with a mix of A and B team.

Cech – Debuchy, Gabs, Kos, Gibbs – Ox, Arteta, Ramsey – Campbell, Giroud, Sanchez

Solid enough to get passed Zagreb and allows Debs, Gibbs, Ox, Arteta, Campbell and Giroud to stay match fit and get some minutes under their belt

Againt Chelsea, we need to play our best possible squad:

Cech – Bellerin, Gabs, Kos, Monreal – Ox, Coq, Cazorla – Ozil – Walcott, Sanchez

Morning all …..

…. New post ……

135. RC78 says:

Adebayor ruined his career by leaving us…AW knew how to make the best of him, he was touted to be our new Kanu but he drifted away (no pun intended…) from that path

136. Red Arnie says:

This sculpture made by Isaac Cordal in Berlin, Germany is called “Politicians Debating Global Warming”

Terry,

What are you doing up and about at 3:44 in the morning? That ninja fella bothering you again?

I had a friend once – no, seriously I did – and he used to sleep over occasionally, and often complained there was someone else in the apartment. When we asked him what did he look like gave the same answer you did “he’s wearing a black ninja outfit and is very fast because he keeps disapearing when I turn on the light. He also has a very small penis” and then added, “the guy is crazy!”

Why was he crazy, we asked him. “Well” he said, “the guy must have a bat habit”. Do you mean he had a ‘bad’ habit, we asked?
    “No, it’s a bat habit, cos when I put on the kitchen light he is always hanging around – his feet are near mine, and he has a long body near the floor and his head goes up the wall”.

Perhaps you and my buddy are related, Terry? He is mostly OK now, since he stopped ‘relaxing’ with that wacky baccy stuff.

Oddly enough, without his smoke ponging out the apartment none of us felt sexy, sexy all the time. [Two of the girls that shared the other two rooms at the time, used to delight in saying to me – “Not bothered that you are so tall – forget the 6 feet and show us your 7 inches.]

6′ 7” – geddit? 😀

On second thoughts, you carry on Terry, you could be helping some other bloke out! 😀

A lot of hot air, Arnie? 🙂