First home win of the season to Stoke Arsenal’s fire.

Morning Gooner’s.

Big Raddy’s PM’s  are what most of us look forward to, his insights and his odds has us all debating – the man’s a genius, but he has to have a break now and again, and somebody has to try and cover. Word went out or should I say plea, so to follow the great man’s PM views is asking quite a lot, but if this is used, here goes……..

Today’s game at home against a tough rival  Stoke City have seen many physical battles, Stoke have a reputation of tough tacklers and putting themselves about. Mark Hughes, Stoke City’s present Manager has brought a slightly different approach to their game as they can play some attractive football now. Hughes was known for his aggressive play when he was a player, the same mentality is now put into use as stokes Manager.

Stoke have had tough times at The Emirates, played seven, lost seven. Her’e a few comments from Hughes leading up to this fixture.

Mark Hughes believes his Stoke City side are better equipped to tackle Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium than ever before.

Despite enjoying a frustrating start to the 2015/16 campaign Hughes is optimistic ahead of Saturday’s fixture and has pin-pointed the attacking qualities of his side as potential game-changers in the capital.

“It is never an easy place to go to be perfectly honest with you, and in previous seasons we haven’t managed to cover ourselves in too much glory down there,” the Welshman told Stoke City Player ahead of the game.

“In fact there record against us at the Emirates in the Premier League is perfect – having taken maximum points from all of the games between the two sides up until now.

“I would like to think that we are better equipped than we have been in seasons past to go down there and deal with them given the quality of player we have inside the building now.

“We have been to other very difficult places and picked up good results; obviously Manchester City springs to mind, so we know we are able to take positive results from these games.

“Arsenal are one of those teams who are difficult to play against, especially on the road, and they have that upper hand over us, but that has to change at some point I would suggest.”

Hughes admits he has been unable to pin-point the factors between the Potters contrasting fortunes against the Gunners at home and away.

“It’s a difficult one to figure out really. I’m not sure what it is. I suppose they are one of the top teams in the league and in Europe to be fair to them and when you take on teams of that ilk it is difficult,” he added.

“We have been very good at home against them and performed exceptionally well for the best part, but away from home we have struggled somewhat.

“They are capable of hurting any team in the world on any given day, but we know that we have our own game-changers who can hurt them.

“It is all dependant on what happens on the day. If one or two things go for us and we play to our maximum capabilities and remain resolute then we have a real chance of picking up a positive result.”

Well those few words from Mark Hughes says to me that he feels today will be a tough game. Of course we still have to win at home this season, so Hughes must feel a little easier.

For ourselves of course there is bad news. Wilshere who was to make his comeback in this fixture has had a setback and won’t feature, Welbeck has also had a setback, and has undergone surgery, so he too is long term. Our Striker Oliver Giroud was boo’d off the park in his international match by his fellow Frenchmen, so his confidence has taken a knock.

Koshielney has had problems with his back, and was left on the bench while on international duty, where his fitness is now will soon be announced

On the positive side Theo scored twice for England so he could be a starter.The rest of the squad seem to be available but I wont be doing a Raddy and predicting a line up, as he I’m sure gets inside information.

I also wont be giving a percentage as is normal on Raddy’s post I leave you all to do that for yourselves. Arsenal have to kick start their season. I feel that our possession stat’s have been excellent, but we just seem to be lack that finishing touch. Get that sorted and I see another win on the cards. Seven wins on the trot at home, looks good on paper but Stoke can cause us problems. We have a few injury problems and after this hard fought game I expect a few to have bruises, hopefully just bruises. I predict a win, it has to come, and today I feel is the day.

Speaking on Friday, Wenger explained that many supporters were unhappy at the lack of signings in the transfer window. He did go on about the reasons but many have heard all that talk before so I won’t bore you with it, but he has asked supporters to get behind the team, he feels that the players deserve your support. Arsenal supporters always get behind the players, today will be no different, Perhaps Arsene feels guilty, I honestly don’t know why, Do you?

COYRRG’s

Steve Palmer

119 Responses to First home win of the season to Stoke Arsenal’s fire.

A very good pre-match Post, Steve. 🙂

I do have a slight quibble – well a huge one actually – it speaking about Raddish you say that he ‘is a genius’ — good heavens man, he is a hippo not a genius – and he cannot even win a fishy bet with the Surf Dude.

Otherwise — all good. 🙂

Absolutely superb Steve, thank you.

Your bigging up of Big was so unnecessary. Your post is right up there, and besides, I can tell you for a fact that being a hippy, together with the fact that it’s peak mushroom season, Erik is up a mountain making friends. To sticks and things.

You Steve, are here doing the business.

Umm, that ‘hippo’ should have been ‘hippy’ – but maybe Word Press auto-correct was actually auto correct in this case. 🙂

Anyway serves him right for not being here and sloping off in his hippo way.

RA 🙂

Tragically, he did win.

Do you reckon Ollie will start. He’s a player that definitely operates best when fresh, and two games may rule him out.

Would love to see an attack of Mesut, Ox, Theo and Sanchez in the middle. Dreaming I know

5. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning RA, I told you i wasn’t in his league, i only hope he doesn’t log on and see’s what i said about him 🙂

I did say yesterday how i have been educated on this blog, i also said we have clowns who have another side. Arsenal men Through and Through Raddy is up there with them. 🙂

6. stevepalmer1 says:

Following on from the last post on wine making and of course Jam.
    My Mrs made Blackcurrant and apple jam, she reckons Blackberries on their own do not set right.

My grapes are just turning colour on my vine, Last year i picked 40lb off them and bottled 20 bottles, i tasted a bottle about a couple of months ago and it was vinegar, my mistake was not to add a cambden tablet while it was resting, i started it off and watched it ferment never tasting before bottling , down the swanny all twenty bottles, hopefully better results this year but sadly not so many grapes.

7. Lovely stuff Steve P

Big Raddish aka ‘the Hippo’ will have to move over, he’s up a mounting somewhere in Italia searching for the Champignons Magiques…. making friends with sticks and things Micky 😀 and maybe hugging a few trees.

8. stevepalmer1 says:

You too Micky 🙂

9. stevepalmer1 says:

Cheers NB, your window cleaner had me and the Mrs chuckling and a big sigh from her at the end. 🙂

10. Well of no one else has the bottle to do a Big R… I will…..

I’m 69% confident of a win today.

Well done Steve and thank you.

I am 67% confident.

12. Red Arnie says:

lovely, Steve, thank you. 🙂

Apols, knot ear last few days. 😦

Off to the Ems. Chas, where is Chas, where are the Vines? 🙂

Who else is going?

13. stevepalmer1 says:

Tha’ts a mouthful NB 🙂

Steve
    Intersting on the need for apples to help set. Mmmm, see what Mr Beeton had to say 🙂

We really are in the front line of the angry mob fans aren’t we?
    Jam making tips 🙂

16. Micky and Chas… alias Fanny and Johnny Cradock. 🙂

Ok, berry picking time.
    Stoke four from bottom. Genuinely 100% confident of win.

NB
    If I have to pair up with Chas, can’t he be Nigella 🙂
    Off

19. How to sort out a dry bird ha ha

Nice one Steve, I’m as confident as Jeremy Corbyn was when he had his toast and jam this morning.

Getting political for a minute, that’s 500k permitted voters (including union members), what struck me was that the unions have apparently so much power in public debate, with only 1% of the population as members.

I’m glad Corbyn won because it’s a kick in the teeth to overly manicured please all politicians.

Now I’m confused because according to statistics unions have 7m members?

I heard on the radio that Theo is out of today’s game injured.

[I may have misheard – and I hope I did]

If it is true, it does highlight one of my main concerns about him – he does have a dreadful injury history — so with Giro having a lean spell it is not what I wanted to hear. [If I did???] 🙂

23. Good day all, nice one Steve and thanks for stepping into the breach.

Stoke are going to be without the ‘orrible Adams and leg breaker Shawcross.

It’ll still be a tough match and I hope Mr. Moss of West Yorkshire is up to the job.

We need not only a win but a few goals as well.

I’m 70% confident.

Everton are playing well, chavs getting a rough treatment 🙂

25. Hi all

On my way to meet up at the Kings Head.

Oh manners, thank you Steve for answering my plea 🙂 match days are rubbish without a pre-match.

Boo if Theo is injured, he tweeted last night how excited he was about the game.

Need to score an early chance, hopefully we will and the flood gates can open. Ever hopeful me 😉

They scored!!! Joy

Watching Chelsea’s well organised defence 😀

28. Chavs under the cost, two down.

29. …….. and chary’s mate is doing a match report, easy Saturday for peaches 🙂

2 nil
    What a fab game

31. fatgingergooner says:

Maureen showing how good a manager he is when he’s not able to spend £50m on new defenders!

I was just thinking what a great manager does normally is substitute the weak link when it’s not working, unafraid to make changes even after twenty minutes or so.

Well at least this is the kind of thing Maureen is often feted for……why then is Ivanovic still starting games?

To the tune of Can’t buy me love by the Beatles:

“Martinez says he’s not for sale, and I was satisfied”

“Chelsea want those kind of things, that money just can’t buy

“I don’t care too much for money, money can’t buy me Stones!”

Brilliant from Evertom fans…..chapeau!

34. That was some strike by Matic, 2 – 1.

Another more cutting question might be, ‘tell me Maureen, what have you done to Ivanovic who was the best fullback in the Prem last season?’

He always takes the credit when the Chavs win — it is always the players or the ref who is at fault when they lose. Prat!

Ivanovitch is fair game for Naismith

37. VCC says:

Ant 1:03…..That’s a smashing photo, looks like JC is still going strong :-)……. Ava G8 day COYG

38. Walcott up front Giroud on the bench.

Come on you mighty Gunners

Nothing wrong with my ears – what? eh? speak up. 🙂

Theo has missed two chances already — come on, Theo, that was a free header for goodness sake.

42. Alexis hits the post and Theo misses a sitter with a free header.

Great quick start

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

great interception from Coquelin

Thank you, Theo! 😉

Knew you could do it!! 🙂

Coq for assist 🙂

The o’s cool as a cucumber

47. Ha ha Redders, of course you did. 😀

Back home 10 mins ago and we score immediately! THEO

What a pass from Ozil.

Will read the PM at half time

Ah Big Erik
    Welcome back. No allegations were made about your lifestyle in your absence 🙂

Really was a superb goal. Love the razor sharp counter goals
    Coq brilliant interception
    Mesut perfection
    Theo control and finish at speed
    Love it

Micky. Good to hear that ☺️ Though something in the ether tells me you b’stards ripped the pee out og me and rightly so

Steve – thanks for the PM!

As good as Raddy ‘ s rant about the Orcs led by the Belzebub in a suit last year

Steve. Really enjoyable read and thank you for the compliments. I am unworthy

I was wondering where was that prick Shaw cross. Spinal surgery 😦

Yesssss
    job done
    happy days

56. Ollie!!! I just knew he would score. Totally reliable. 😀

You were saying Eddie ?

I didn’t mean it Ollie 🙂

Norfolk,

Giro makes me relax, at last. Good man!

I am unable to see the game, but credit where it is due as the commentators said Theo had controlled the ball and shot all in one movement. Sounds good to me! 😉

Have to be even-handed, naturally.

So, of course I will never forgive him for missing the two easy chances in the first few minutes. 🙂

59. Three points in the bag!!!

60. Dog needs her afternoon walk.

Back later.

2 Nil, 2 Nil , 2 Nil.

Eddie at 4:34
    Don’t think we’re allowed to say those things 🙂 🙂

Happy with that. Excellent performance, full of skill and determination. We easily outfought a Hughes team which is a major positive.

When Ramsey and Sanchez start scoring we will be even better.

Le Coquelin my MotM

If we can get the odd midfielder a goal or two, then it would take some pressure off Theo/Ollie

Great time to take on the Chavs next weekend 🙂

More shooting from distance for me Erik
    You know, edge of the box bender into the top corner

Bern sometime since we saw one of those.

Micky – why not? He missed a sitter

Sorry Erik
    Laptop playing up
    Cannot. Hit hat from mobile
    Hope you had good holiday
    Later

Ha h Eddie
    Not his fault he was born with four legs, big ears and fur 😄
    Bless him
    Off till lPtop gets better

69. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, sorry i wasn’t here with you all as my stream box wasn’t working and had to use my Laptop to stream Chavs and our game, not a great stream but never missed any of the action. Frightened to tune in in case i lost what i had, Blimey what a good afternoon for us and up into 2nd spot for the time being, i said a while ago we will lead the league sometime this season i still stand by that.

Eddie one of these days we will meet and i may just peck you on the cheek 🙂 Knew BR wouldn’t miss a game even if he is out of his head, and thank you all for your comments.

Thank you Steve, but I’m not really a touchy feely type of person 🙂

I’m not sure if I enjoyed our game more than chav’s defeat. Hope for a draw tonight

71. stevepalmer1 says:

Don’t worry about that Eddie , I’ll blow it from a distance 🙂

72. 68% Possession.

29 ShotS.

12 On Target.

2 Goals.

3 Points.

Can’t complain about that.

Benteke €35m? No wonder we agreed to pay Theo’s massive wages.

MU/Scouse game deadly dull so far

Raddy – shouldn’t you be unpacking?
    Best game today was Everton v Maureen

Get in, switch on, and we have Martial coming on

Should we have bought him? We’ll see 🙂

You never mentioned him during the TW

There’s the answer

I’d never heard of him Eddie, but RC78 says he’s shit hot
    RC knows. Arsene doesn’t

Ooo at last. We’ve got six games with no more than four days between each. Might stretch the squad a little, but great news for us.

There was a lot to be happy about in that game. Some beautiful football played by our Spanish hand me downs, Herb’s image makes me chuckle, yes we should have won it in a more comfortable fashion but hey, a win is a win.

I agree that Le Coq was MOTM, in fact as I was watching he game I shocked myself when the idea of possible captaincy crossed my mind. He is getting more and more authoritative in the midfield with every game so why not?

Does anyone know what is going on with Mertesacker, is this a Wellbeck situation? The club announce he has a cold and then we find out he is out for the season?

81. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha. great fun! got to meet JC. 🙂 And Peaches, Chas, Ant, John and Shard!

Really enjoyable game. Cannot complain. 🙂

LB, not sure how true but my Dad told me he had read that Mertesacker apparently doesn’t take cold meds or antibiotics or something, not sure if they can fix colds with meds anyway, but could probably make recovery longer.

83. Red Arnie says:

and just to wind GoonerB up, let me point out. Theo score one goal in 75 mins on teh pitch, and Ollie score one goal in 15 mins. Cannot complain. 🙂

Glad all those that went had a chance to cheer some goals, shame we couldn’t score more.

Theo 1 from 8
    Giroud 1 from 2

clinical 😀

85. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Yes an impressive game today. As said in the post, our possession stats still match up to anyone’s, but possession does not always win games, but it does if you can finish.

29 attempts on Stokes goal, some on target some not ,but two goals scored. When the other side has a handful of chances from long range and you have a world class Keeper, 2 goals are enough for 3 points.

I have to say i was impressed with most of our play, when we gave the ball away we opened ourself to a Stoke Breakaway. But the way the manager has drilled these players to fight to get the ball back has certainly made the oppositions chances limited.

Coquelin was again my Arsenal MOTM, i have to say that he has been that in every game for me, he has somewhere found a game that cannot be overlooked, I would say a first Man pick. He also now has presence. Coquelin is a young guy, he must be thinking how it may have gone all wrong had there not been injuries, I believe the Manager was ready to see him go, but now would not like to see him injured.

Some say he looks like captain material, i feel he needs to concentrate on his own game and improve game by game, he certainly doesn’t deserve other influences at present.

Gabriel also had a good game, i wasn’t sure about him but he has a toughness that i like and is also improving with every game he has. I honestly believe we should be looking at Mertsackers replacement, Per Merts has certainly improved from his early games for us and where i felt he was a carthorse, his positioning is second to none but he does seem to have injury problems and a replacement may be a necessary fixture.

Jack of course will return to the fold, but i think we all know that a young player with leg injuries as he has sustained, will never have a prolonged career in the Premier League.

Today we found holes in the Stoke defence, no wonder when they had so many out, but even so 28 attempts on goal and only two goals is a bad return.. Giroud showed Theo how to head a ball , a brilliant header that he really needed after a fortnight he has had, but Theo also showed Giroud what pace can bring in a fantastic move starting with The Coq’s interception, a move that warmed the cockles of every Gunners hearts, direct football executed to the highest level and finished off in seconds.

Many criticised our play, our players, and the Manager, but play like that silences the criticism and makes you want to swoon.I have to say i knew that kind of play was in this squad, but its taken some while to surface.

I feel there must be a little moan, even though we had a great win, Ozil i feel Lacks in 50 50 brilliant passer, but ball winning is not his forte. Theo also, I dont like to pick players out after a fine win, but teamwork must be right through the side, even if you cannot retrieve the ball, you must show commitment, these two need to change.

86. fatgingergooner says:

Is Paulista our new 1st choice CB?

Early signs are that AW has somehow managed to find another Koscielny to play alongside Koscielny!

How good would that be..?

87. stevepalmer1 says:

Time will tell Ginge

88. fatgingergooner says:

Theo: 11 starts 11 goals

Not too shabby.

just a shame we can’t merge Theo and Giroud into 1 player!

89. I’ve just watched the extended highlights on Sky, as I already knew the result I could concentrate on the football and what football it was.

Some of the play was exceptional, terrific passing, pace and understanding between our players.

Highlight for me was Le Coq’s interception which moved th ball on to Mesut and his superb pass over the top for Theo to take on and score. Definitely a candidate for goal of the season. Well alright, goal of the day then. :D. .

Poor referee though, Giroud was definitely pulled back and should have had a penalty, but as Old Blue Eyes would say….That’s life.

90. fatgingergooner says:

Should’ve had 7 or 8 goals today, so by my reckoning that means we’ve banked 3 or 4 goals for the game at Chelsea next week and maybe we will have 1 or 2 leftover for Spurs! 😉

91. Red Arnie says:

FGG. ha ha ha. I like the idea of banking goals for the hard times. 🙂

Yes, Coq MOTM for me as well.

Anyone else looking forward to Sanchez turning up to play against Ivanovic asmuch as me? That could be a fun day at the office 😀 although I’ll be at a bloody wedding!!!

First time Gabriel played for us you could just see that he loves defending. Also said on that occasion he will need to be careful in the PL……..I do wonder whether Debuchy might have asked anyone who got half a chance to whack Artunovic for him.

Cheers, Steve.
    You predicted the win and it turned out to be relatively easy yesterday, even if we did take a long time to score both the first and the second goals.

How many times have we seen us create only a few chances and yet still score several goals? I’m sure that if we continue to create as many opportunities as yesterday, the goals will start to flow – even with our deadly striking duo. 🙂

Updated assists sent to Nuts.

Morning, Chas,

I instantly recognised all the guys in your pic – except the guy standing next to Per. Who he? 🙂

Also Per and Kos have red crests on their jacket,Theo gold, and why is Mesut scruffy?

Very happy with yesterday’s performance.

Love Gabriel’s revenge elbow. No co-incidence it happened to that shitehawk, Shame Shawcross wasn’t playing because Paul Easter would have flattened him as well 🙂

Raddy – i missed shawcross too. Paul Easter reminds me of Martin k own, great buy

The guy next to per is probably Rio Myiachi

Ozil scruffy? He’s wearing Mille watch

102. Morning ladies

A good game yesterday but so frustrating… I’ve written about it this morning. Did I see yesterday that Chary’s mate is writting the match report today? until he does and Rasp gets out of bed to post it…. mines up already: http://wp.me/p4FeF9-rS

Chas – when did we create few chances and scored lots 🙂 🙂

104. ha ha Ryo Myaichi…. it’s Theos’ minder 😀

Just sorting the match report, back in a bit …………………..

106. New Post everyone …………………

Morning.

I have quite a lot to say but just haven’t got the strength as yet but Shearer picked up the point that I made at least 2 years ago that theo is just too nice.
    His goal was made for him,one on one, using speed but as to the other chances he should have put away at least two of them despte Buckland as with nearly all keepers that come to our place,having a blinder.

I see flamini and Rosicky completely redundant to the squad, should have been sold or released and bellerin will remain first choice so debuchy will have to sit and wait.
    Giroud again showed that to put it nicely,he has no finesse but nevertheless took his goal well.

Ozil, I love him he has the vision of DB10.Cazorla back to his best and Coquelin geneally very good.

Not sure if Mertesacker will play so much in what will probably be his last season.
    Sanchez, don’t worry about him, the goals will come and the Ox needs more than ten minutes whilst ten minutes is just about enough for Arteta.
    Neither Walcott or Giroud is the answer if you are actually challenging for the title, but you can only play with the players you have, though with 3 players already on the long term injury list this could again be our downfall if one or two of our starters picks up an injury.

Money was there,loads of it but AW chose not to strengthen or couldn’t get who he wanted,whichever way you wan to look at it.

I thought our inter play was exceptional yesterday and 6 or 7 goals wouldn’t have flattered us.
    Now we have a list of big matches every few days and we should get a better picture.
    Finally Ramsey needs to cut out the hollywood passing and hopefully once he scores he will be our biggest goal threat along with Sanchez.

Give me a month or two and I hopefully will return.Oh by the way I don’t like those mucky gold away shirts.

Oh that was good timing 🙂