Arsenal’s Oldest Fan – JC’s cards

A massive ‘Thank You’ to everyone who sent (or tried to send) a card in response to my earlier post about the impending 90th Birthday of a certain John Alfred Churchill esq. Mr Churchill loved receiving the cards and I sent him a copy of the original post with all of your kind comments attached. GIE’s comment was my favourite, “JC is a legend – I’ve missed being asked when it’s due”.

A certain pie salesman from Cornwall’s card was regarded by JC as an ‘Official’ one and much appreciated.

The Danish royalty card written in best tour-guide Danish prompted JC to say, ‘I’ve even had one in a foreign language’.

JCcards1

Rasp even managed to find a pop-up Emirates Stadium.

JCcards2

Peaches’ card was perfect for an old boy who still has an interest in pulling the birds! “I’ve still got all the equipment, but I’ve lost the instruction manual”.

GN5 wrote a paragraph about growing up near Highbury and being an Islington boy which was much appreciated by JC as another local lad.

JCcards3

Joney’s card (bottom right in the above photo) was based on 1925, JC’s year of birth.

It includes some 1925 information….

Headlines – First John Logie Baird TV picture transmitted,

New Arrivals – double decker buses with roofs, water skis, salad cream and Woodcraft Folk (?).

In the ‘Keeping You Entertained ‘ section – Top songs – Show me the way to go home, Yes Sir, she’s my baby and Dinah (as in ‘a yard above the knee’?).

Shopping Costs – New Morris Oxford £275, Bottle of Scotch 63p and 4 bed Detached house £1400.

A few of my favourite postmarks and stamps.

JCcards4

A special thanks to GIE for sending a special mini Gooners card. Harry bears a striking resemblance to JC even though there’s 88 or 89 years between them

JCcards5

Thank you all again. Your efforts in response to my request really made the old boy’s birthday a little different and special. Ta.

Written by chas

37 Responses to Arsenal’s Oldest Fan – JC’s cards

1. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, Sorry Chas, i must have missed your post, but a belated birthday wish to Mr J Churchill, 90 years old, here’s to the next 90

2. The Cockie Monster says:

Wow !………………….I love Rasp`s pop up Emirates card…..I want one !.

3. The Cockie Monster says:

Also, without trying to embarrass chas, what a top bloody nice bastard he is for looking after JC !. 😀

4. Shard says:

Wow. These cards are awesome. I’m still hopeful my card (humble as it is) will reach JC. My letters to and from the US have been known to reach up to two months late. If it doesn’t reach I’ll send the photos I took of it, though those are on my computer back home.

Great tribute to JC chas and a great reflection on the AA family that so many took the time to send JC a card ….. I knew there was a reason I keep blogging 😀

Cheers, boys.

Interesting stat, Cockie.
    I wonder if JC has a ‘first time I fell in love with The Arsenal’ moment. I’ll have to ask him.

I watched the first 30 mins of the chavs inc. missed Baggies penalty and then turned it off hoping it would be abandoned due to heavy rain.
    Five minutes later, back to 2-1.
    Definitely not putting it back on though.

Ooops, better put it back on.
    Come on the rain.

GiE’s juniors card the best, perfect! Can I have one on my 60th please?

10. Lovely Chas

Thanks for the feedback about JC’s 90th 🙂

11. Red Arnie says:

Wow, Chas, and JC, and all the Vines! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Feeling very happy. 🙂

well, excepts the Chavs win. 😦

12. One silver lining to the Chav’s game, Terry sent off, even the charming Senhor Mourinho can’t argue with that decisuon. Though he probably will. 😀

13. Arsenal’s first major trophy.

April 26th 1930, Arsenal beat huddersfield 2 – 0 to win the FA Cup in front of 92,486 fans at Wembley.

Chas, well done to you and yours for thinking of and then organizing this event for JC90 – happy to have done my small part.

PS: City are looking awesome at the start of the Everton game.

Leicester and Crystal Palace currently in 1st and 4th places – strange looking standings…………

15. Well done chas and bros, JC really does have a Gooner family.

£45m for Benzema. Deal done

17. Red Arnie says:

confirmed news, Evonne?

18. The Cockie Monster says:

I`ve just copy and pasted the top stories in the last 24 hours on Arsenal newsnow :

Karim Benzema eyes Liverpool as Arsenal charter private jet to secure Real Madrid…
    Daily and Sunday Express 19:22 Sat, 22 Aug 2015

Deal Agreed: Arsenal To Announce Move For Gifted Midfielder, He Wants First-Team…
    Squawka 21:12 Sat, 22 Aug 2015

Man United target Edinson Cavani jets into London to have medical at Arsenal
    Daily Star 08:27

Arsenal Transfer News: Benzema and Cavani flying in for medicals, Wenger talks big…
    Daily Star 09:07

[Done] No Private Jet Delivery, But Arsenal Will Announce & Unveil Benzema…
    The Clock End (Weblog) 01:25

Arsenal and Man United target Karim Benzema’s replacement lined up by Real Madrid
    Daily Star 18:10 Sat, 22 Aug 2015

Private Jet Chartered, Hotel Booked, Arsenal Signing Will Arrive In 48 Hrs
    Squawka 19:02 Sat, 22 Aug 2015

Arsene Wenger: I can sign Manchester United target Karim Benzema
    Daily Star 08:56

So now you can see where and why Eddie has become a top transfer gossiper !………………………from all that stuff, someone is going to look stupid if it doesn`t happen !. 😆

19. The Cockie Monster says:

And a lot of them are from national Newspapers !………….how can they print such gossip without any justification ?………………That`s why I miss the News of the World !…….at least they phone hacked people to get some proper word of mouth stuff !…………..bring back The News of the World so they can hack all the top football managers phones !………..bring back phone hacking !.

Transplant told me he phone hacked his ex-missus as he was suspicious of her . After sorting out a hack all he heard was some moaning and groaning, although at first he found it quite arousing, he quickly cleaned up the mess to burst in on his ex-missus not to find her in some sexual compromising position , but Jackie Pallo`s neck being squeezed to within an inch of his life by Mrs Transplants thighs in a tag team bout in his newly decorated flock wall papered dining room !.

arnie – no 🙂

21. fatgingergooner says:

So am I ok to get unbelievably excited about the fact Benzema is NOT in the Real Madrid squad for their first game of the season tonight!!!!!!???????

absolutely! Go ginga go 🙂

Jackie Pallo

Now there’s a name that takes me back. My nan used to love the wrestling.

Eddie, This is what is being reported as the reason Benzema is not in Real’s squad today. But who knows if it’s true?

Maybe Arsene does?

………………………………………………………………………………………..

Karim Benzema has been left out of Real Madrid’s squad for their opening fixture of the La Liga season this evening.

The Arsenal-linked forward was an injury doubt for Los Blancos after sitting out their final training session earlier this week, and he will play no part against Sporting Gijon.

There is only room for a place on the bench for James Rodriguez and summer signing Mateo Kovacic, meanwhile, with big guns Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale fielded in attack.

Jesse will lead the line in Rafael Benitez’s first competitive game at the helm, against a Gijon side with one win in t

25. Ant says:

“Am I right in thinking that JC is the only Gooner on here that has been alive long enough to witness every single Arsenal trophy win ?………………that constitutes legendary status amongst fans !.”

What a great comment Cockie..JC is gonna love that one. Thanks again to everyone for their fantastic efforts for the Old Boy, he truly loved it.

Mind you he is quite gullible as he still thinks that the fake Christmas card I sent from HM Elizabeth 1 as genuine even with “this card is not really from the Queen” tippexed out and a Buckingham Palace postmark glued onto the envelope!

Cheers

Chas’ brother and drinking partner.

Ahhhhh when George was still cute and did as he was told!!

Lovely stuff Chas, let’s hope the lads give the old boy a late birthday present tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and of course meeting Shard

27. Red Arnie says:

Benzema’s agent Karim Djaziri says the player will not instigate the switch.

“Karim is very happy at Real Madrid and he will be a Real Madrid player by the end of this transfer window, 1,000 per cent,” Djaziri told Sky Sports.

29. Red Arnie says:

matchday. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. COYG. 🙂

Morning all, the Benzema stories have become endemic and I don’t pay any heed to them …. if it happens, it happens 🙂

On the other hand I am excited about the stories linking us to Lars Bender – that would really reinforce our DM position and I can see him being first choice in that position however good Le Coq is.

Can you imagine if this gossip was true: “Benzema and Cavani flying in for medicals with Arsenal” 🙂 🙂 My God, micky would wee himself and I would stop taking antidepressants.

Would we win the league then? Would success be guaranteed?

Cavani to sign for us is 7/2 and Benzema 15/8, fantastic! Bookies usually know

Heart warming post Chas. Thanks for the thanks

There is a ………

New Post

35. LBG says:

A big thanks to all AA bloggers for efforts with JC Birthday cards, from big bro Jon.
    The Vines boys are pleased to have another ‘adopted’ Dad, and hope we will still be transporting him to the Home of Football for at least another 10 years! Now wouldn’t that be something!