The (Curious?) cases of Joel Campbell, Akpom and Sanogo

Here are three relatively young players that AW rates highly…

Joel Campbell had an outstanding WC2014 and then had some decent appearances but he was never really outstanding when playing for us or when going out on loan. Clearly, he is a talented player and he is highly viewed by many. The question is – what shall we do with him? Keep him, loan him or sell him?

Akpom has got the pace and a decent eye for goal. AW rates him and he has had a good career with your youth system like Afobe. Again what shall we do with him? Keep him, loan him or sell him?

Then comes the case (maybe the most curious) of Sanogo. A touted French striker that unfortunately suffered a horrific injury early on in his career…He then recovered and joined us on a free…He has again some potential but he is clearly not ready for Arsenal yet…So what shall we do with him? Keep him, loan him or sell him?

Looking forward to your answers

Written by RC78

67 Responses to The (Curious?) cases of Joel Campbell, Akpom and Sanogo

1. ‘morning all, none of them are good enough to be regular starters for Arsenal, stick out on loan to see if they can improve. Simples! 😀

2. RC78 says:

NG – you loan out all of them? I would be quite inclined to sell Campbell to Benfica as they are willing to put in quite some cash (15 Mln) on him

For the other two – I think we should keep Akpom and we should loan out Sanogo

3. RC78 says:

NEWS – Turan wants to join the EPL! 41 Mln EUR

Now he is a cracking and fierce player but he has a propensity to lose his cool…However, he can cause havoc in any defense with his skills…I wonder if AW is monitoring him

Eddie – Santi is an obvious strength for sure
    BR – Ox needs to basically take over Santi’s role in our squad. He has the engine and the skills to do it – hope he keeps fit.

RC Thank you

We keep Akpom – he is the only homegrown (though perhaps Sanogo qualifies)

Sell Campbell. Loan Sanogo.

Hi RC
    Not entirely happy with your transfer season so far as you are managing to unearth rumours before they are even rumours. I must up my game 🙂
    What has made me review my stance on this subject is the case of Mr Francis Coquelin. You can go out on loan to a place like Charlton, not shine particularly, and then return the best player in the league 🙂

6. Paul says:

Loan Campbell to boost his value in the way Chelsea have done with their players.

Loan Akpom to gain experience. I think the lad is seriously talented and could be a future Arsenal great.

Sell, sell, sell! Get gone Sanogo. Fed up with his Bambi on ice impressions!

RC78 – thanks for the post.

That Joel Campbell really pisses me off – how long did we fight for him to get the visa? What a waste of resources. Unless, we can still get something out of him. I’d loan him together with Sanogo and Akpom.

Isn’t this what Chavs are doing? Last season they had 30 players on loan!! I think it is to do with spending the max each year and then sell when necessary to satisfy the FFP

8. Alfred Mosse says:

They must be loaned,they are good prayers,though i haven’t seen much from Sonogo

9. RC78 says:

– Campbell is really a mystery – the guy is really good but he never turns it on for us…Only for his country…In the French league, he was rather disappointing…I would sell him now to be honest as he is still valued ont he transfer market…

– Akpom is the most exciting of the three and I think we can give him some playing time next year and he will still be our star player in our reserve team

– As for Sanogo – loan him out to a team in Championship even (QPR?) because he really need to get used to the pace and physicality of the English football. Most importantly – he needs to work on three basic skills: his first touch, his hold up play and of course his accuracy/composure in front of goal

– Micky – I will try to only post confirmed rumours…lol

Thanks RC. Seeing as I am always saying we shouldn’t release a player who has great potential until we really know it is difficult to dismiss any of them. I was a bit miffed when Afobe was released without a sniff of a 1st team chance just as he was having his most productive loan spells and scoring for fun. Maybe it will turn out to be the correct decision.

I tend to agree with you with Campbell if good money is on the table as I don’t see a quick route to the 1st 11 for him and I get the feeling he will not be the most patient of chaps.

Akpom yes keep, more specifically because I think he is still maybe 1 year away from a decent loan spell, and I could see any team taking him sticking him mostly on the bench as back up at present.

Sanogo is actually the player I am least sold on. Maybe there is potential but I don’t feel he has great mobility (a bit more than Ollie granted) and I would hope we (Arsenal) move away from the big target up front player as I don’t think it suits us. One of my biggest issues is that I think he has a bit of a powder puff shot and I must admit I am always happier with a striker where the ball leaves his boot with some venom.

Micky from yesterday (this morning really). I wasn’t completely sure about Martinez either, and I agree about Danny needing some more playing time in the role.I still wouldn’t be averse to Aubamayeng though and further push towards that quick goal-scoring from everywhere rotating front 3 you and I stay up in the night dreaming about.

Don’t you dare RC 🙂

“he needs to work on three basic skills: his first touch, his hold up play and of course his accuracy/composure in front of goal”

So everything other than getting dressed all by himself then 🙂

RC 11.06 LOL, he still needs to work on his first touch, hold up play and accuracy / composure in front of goal. Basically everything then. My grandmother only needs to work on these 3 things to be first choice striker for the good guys 🙂

Stop being so bloody quick Micky. You beat me to the comedy moment.

14. RC78 says:

MDD – his positioning is actually quite decent, he knows where to get but his first touch lets him down poorly…His shot is actually not bad and his heading either but again, it is just a matter of him working really hard to get those goals in

15. RC78 says:

GB – see reply to MDD :-p

16. fatgingergooner says:

Sell Campbell as I don’t think he’s suited to the PL. Sanogo and Akpom need PL loans at teams where they will get games. Not easy to find that though in all fairness.

Turan would be a brilliant signing. I Think I remember Wenger being keen on him a while back but nothing happened. Only problem is I think he would very much be a luxury right now given the numerous attacking players we have.

I think stability is going to be a vital ingredient for us this season. Liverpool have already bought 5 players and lost their captain for the last 15 years. City need a total overhaul to even have a squad that complies to PL rules, and United will no doubt see their revolving door working overtime.

Ourselves and Chelsea have built squads over time and are now in pole position to take advantage of that. Wenger has also had the foresight to build a British core and we have a much younger squad than Chelsea.

As much as players like Turan and PEA would be exciting additions, I don’t think we will see any more than 2 new players this summer. I would like to see us trim a few via loans and sales and keep the main squad from last season together.

Whilst other squads are bedding in new players and getting used to each other, ourselves and Chelsea could be building a big lead. Chelsea demonstrated last season how a good start to the season can be enough to carry you through. Continuity is key.

GB

Harmony is what you and I are in 🙂

The only two strikers in world football who I think may possibly be available and would present a definite upgrade in terms of style and speed are Benzema and Cavani.

So, neither of them, and I’d rather a new leftie with Sanchez going central, Danny central, or a new rightie and Theo central.

I realize that my recruitment skills are a little hindered by the fact that I never watch football other than Arsenal, and as a result, I’ve never heard of players like Aubamayeng.

Ergo, price tag 🙂

18. wally says:

I’m with the consensus, loan them out to up their value. If they surprise, great. If not they’ll get sold, eventually.

I would also like a Cavani or Benzema Micky but I am not sure how much of a reality they are. Benzema maybe, but PSG priced Cavani out of the market when they paid 50% or s over the odds for him just because they could. They now don’t want to lose face and sell him for much less even though that is his real value and not what they paid for him. This sort of stale-mate over a player just because they don’t want to lose face over a player that they over-inflated themselves price wise is very annoying and is really something the powers that be should look at.

Aubamayeng could be an interesting and plausible (acquirement wise) option Micky. If anything (if we get him) I would play him as striker with Sanchez playing off his left side. I think Aubemayeng is a player destined to be a striker comfortable working the wide channels, especially the left. He has played predominantly as a left winger for Dortmund and is of reasonable stature (6’2″ or there abouts), and strength, and is lightening quick. He has scored quite a few goals from wide left so has an eye for it……Now I ask you, does this description remind you of anyone….

Off to meditate and channel into your chin energy Micky, to secure our harmony and sense if you know where I am going with the above.

Not here at all GB, but…. 🙂

The kind of moneybags, looted up, oily sorts that own PSG like nothing more than showing off how rich they are.

“£25k watch? Pah, have it. I’ll get another. Paid £50 squillion for Cavani? Pah, have him for a tenner. Don’t care me”

It’s my lateral thinking GB. Makes things possible. I’m a bloody expert at dealing with Chavs as well you know 🙂

21. RC78 says:

Sterling to move to Chelsea or City…
    He wants to come back to London and ideally to Arsenal but – officially – we are not ready to meet his valuation by Liverpool.

Chelsea also said they will not pay more than 40 Mln…In the end if City puts in 52, then he will go there but knowing cunning Mourinho, he could offer 35 Mln + Salah to get Sterling…

Let us see

RC78, they are all “maybe’s” so they should be loaned out or sold.
    We don’t need potential we need players who are up to the task of taking us up to the next level.

23. jp says:

Campbell should be marketable for a transfer fee….If you get your valuation then sell him. If not loan him out again. Loan for Sanogo ……hopefully he improves enough to be a first team player or increases his transfer valuation.

24. jp says:

Akpom needs loan …..premiership if possible….

25. RC78 says:

jp – agree…

So – Campbell to Benfica on a transfer fee?

26. fatgingergooner says:

£50m for Sterling!

I’m not sure what’s going on with this Home Grown rule. Prices of substandard English players is going to go through the roof. Welbeck looks an absolute steal at £16m the way things are going this summer.

Rumours of City and Chelsea wanting Delph and Song because they are HG. They are decent players, but they wouldn’t be starting games for those 2 teams, so how does that help English football?

How is this going to effect the bigger clubs in the PL? They will have to ignore world class foreign talent in order to fill their squad with average home grown players. The PL will be worse for it if you ask me.

Will it improve the national team? I’ve no idea. There will be more English players to choose from, but if they are playing in poorer sides week in week out, or sitting on the bench of the bigger teams, then how does that improve England?

Anyone got any thoughts?

There is a post in that FGG. I will see what I can rustle up maybe for tomorrow. In the mean-time, purely from an Arsenal perspective, I think we should all just be smug and get on our high horses that Arsenal seem to have most of the best home grown talent out there.

28. fatgingergooner says:

Do you think Wenger saw this coming or do you think it’s just purely coincidental that he’s managed to buy some of the best young talent around in the last few years to bolster our HG quota?

It’s true we are in a great position on that front.

Heard a few rumours about us signing a LB in this window. Do we think Wenger has given up on Gibbs or just newspaper rubbish? He barely got a kick at the end of last season.

29. RC78 says:

If you want my humble opinon, I think that England does not win international competitions because most of the squad plays in the EPL and you need to have some players that play abroad to have a squad that has a full understanding of different styles of play…and not only through Champions League.

Spain has a vast contingency playing at home but they have key players that have played abroad during their Golden Years and that have contributed to their success: Torres (2008 especially), Fabregas, Silva, Navas, Reina have all played abroad and brought something else to the team…

Germany won the WC with a lot of players playing in Germany but also benefitted from the foreign experiences of players like Ozil, Khedira…

England has the talent and also the experience on paper to win a major competition but sometimes, they just cannot go past certain oppositions. Why? Because despite some tactical briefs, they may not be used to playing against a certain type of opposition week-in week out…and this makes a huge difference…

If for example Baines, Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge went on to play in Spain or Germany or Italy or France, this would really help the England squad as they would face a different type of football every week and so when it comes to the big competitions, they would have a better positional and tactical awareness in recognizing certain situations…

Then again, it is just my humble opinion

30. fatgingergooner says:

Arsenal have signed the Romania Under-16 captain Vlad Dragomir from ACS Poli Timisoara for €100,000 (£71,000) and he will begin his career at the north London club as a first-year scholar.

The midfielder, who was wanted by Internazionale, has been pictured holding an Arsenal shirt alongside Dick Law, the club’s transfer negotiator, and his agent, Catalin Sarmasan.

Arsenal will announce the full list of their first-year scholars next week, with the majority of them having progressed from the club’s Hale End academy.

Sarmasan said: “I offered Vlad to Arsenal a year and a half ago and they have monitored him closely. In my opinion, he is one of the most talented young players in Europe at the moment.”

31. fatgingergooner says:

RC78,

I totally agree, but with the new rules, do you think it’s going to become more likely or less likely that the best English talent will go abroad? They are now going to get more money than ever to stay in this country and play for the big sides (Milner £165k a week, Sterling £50m with huge wages).

It could prove to be a big success in time, but for the next few years at least it’s going to be crazy whilst the big sides steal any decent talent from all the other English clubs and pad out their squads with the best HG talent.

And with FFP seeming to have been binned as well FGG? The oil rich clubs will just overpay to have the best English players and hoard even the 2nd tier ones in the squad who will then miss out on their development and never quite get up to top level.

I still like Gibbs and don’t feel we need any upgrade over him and Monreal at the moment.

Because we are in a very enviable position of having so many top home grown players (Jack, Rambo, Theo, Danny, AOC, Gibbs, Jenks, Chambers) we don’t need to scratch around trying to recruit top home grown players for over-inflated prices.

All those mentioned still have a number of seasons at the top level, and we have the likes of Akpom waiting in the wings as well. Plus I believe we have 2-3 very promising players in the academy like Willock and Crowley.

This should mean that AW can continue to recruit the younger (not yet ready) promising home grown players who can be steadily improved with a view to replacing those mentioned above when they are in the twilight of their career and continue a cycle of having a good amount of top level home grown players without over-paying.

34. RC78 says:

FGG – the English players will stay home even more..;especially with the EURO going down and the fat paychecks that will come in as a result of the overpaid TV Rights…

We have Gnabry, Zelalem in the next batch and Crowley ++ in the one after that. We are fine for midfield HG’s.

I agree with Micky that we need a goal scoring left winger. I would buy Sterling – great player, Londoner, PL experience, time to develop into a team player and English.

That he costs so much makes him even more attractive

36. RC78 says:

BR – Sterling would be a good addition…but he will be tough to get unless he says “I want a move to Gunners only” and we meet his release clause…

RC. I agree but if we want to be a Big Club we have to act like one.

Barca, Chavs, MC, PSG, RM, BM and MU all spend big to buy a special player, so should we.

Raddy you want Sterling as a goal-scoring left winger? I know you are not alone in this thought but I still don’t get this one, so I am putting in a formal request for your feedback and wisdom on the matter 🙂

The EPL stats show that Sterling scored 7 goals in 35 appearances + 1 as sub. Sanchez scored 16 goals in 35 appearances + 1 as sub. Identical in appearances made, poles apart in goals scored.

We already have our goal scoring left winger in my opinion. If it was more to add squad depth then I would suggest that any of Gnabry, Welbeck or AOC could play Sanchez’s role, and further I think if any of them had made the same appearances as Sterling they would have likely given a better goal return than him.

39. Shard says:

Sell.

Keep. (till Jan/Feb – for the league cup. Then loan)

Loan (preferably in the PL).

Exactly Gooner B. It’s like Balotelli all over again. He was apparently the great finisher we need. Now everyone saying how special Sterling is. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. In fact I think he’s very good, and has the potential to be very good. But at this moment in time he is definitely not a great goal scorer. And we have plenty potential with Ox and Gnabry. 50m buys you Griezmann or Reus. Seeing as we have no pressing need for homegrown players, I’d rather that our money be spent on proven players rather than on potential. And that’s discounting the issues around Sterling’s behaviour and the fact that Liverpool are d***s.

Nice 78

i would like to see Akpom get his chance 78. He reminds me of of Andy Cole, but unlike Cole, has a personality that does not require restriction on foreign travel.

I am in a defiant mood today. i am sure we will win the league next season, transfers or no transfers. Its our time and nothing can stop us now.

Mind you, ive always claimed we were the best even when we were shit. i remember the eightieswhen the crowd would sing “Were so shit its unbelivable” though it was very believeable, because we were very shit. We had Lee Chapman up front for gawds sake.

I never joined in on those chants. Even after getting thrashed 5-0 i would always come away faking happiness. Later in life i would use this ability to fake emotions by conning women into bed.

When confronted by opposition fans i would always wind them up claiming we are better and they “Got lucky” or “Besides, ive slept with your wife”.

I would get into terrible fights with them over this 78. Most of the time, well all of the time really, i would get battered, but still claimed we were better and after picking my carcass up from the floor, i had won the fight to.

Sometimes this would infuriate them more, especially fat Totnumb fans, so they would beat me extra, inevitably putting me into a coma

However, even in my catatonic state, as loved ones gathered round my hospital bed asking “Will Terry ever talk again Doctor? And if he does, will he spend all day watching Andy Pandy?” I would spring into action and shout “WE ARE BETTER. AND I HAVE SLEPT WITH EVERY BODYS WIFE”

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Shard I am also in the camp that feels Sterling is a very good player and top prospect. He would probably flourish under AW’s tutelage but we don’t need a new first choice option at left side midfield and there is no way he is displacing our current first choice incumbent. Good player, great prospect but we just don’t need strengthening in his position. What we really still need in the attacking department is a top class CF

GB. Damn it. Can’t I make a wild proclamation without recourse to facts or reason?

I just want a big money player, preferably an attacker.

You are right that Sterling has no place in our current side given Welbz, Sanchez on the left and Ox, Gnabry, Ramsey and Theo on the right.

But we are building a squad and how great will it be to have Sterling on the bench. It is not only MU who can have €100m + of talent riding the pine.

feck! how come nobody told me that the richest man in Africa wants to buy the Arsenal? Aliko Dangote – do we like him, want him? Has he any chance of buying the Club?

Eddie. No. No. No.

Watching England U-21’s. Remind me of Spurs.

Spurs.
    I was at a petrol station today and there was a man in shorts (awful) with skinny chicken tattoo on each hairy calf (disgusting).

He walked in front on those tattooed sticks to his car (crappy old thing), took a long look at my reg and pulled a face. But he could not move out until I did, so I made a meal out of pulling as slowly as I could. Arsenal ahead of Spurs 🙂 🙂 Made my day 🙂

Eddie. You are a star!

my best spent money was 1. the pug and 2. the AFC registration

Cheers, RC.

Keep Chubby, flog the other two, they’re shit.

Cavani sent off against Chile.
    Sanchez must have had a word in his shell-like. He’s got to be Arsenal- bound.

…………………………………….

Transplant
    “Will Terry ever talk again Doctor? And if he does, will he spend all day watching Andy Pandy?” ha ha ha

Und Chas
    Keep Chubby, flog the other two, they’re shit 🙂

What is that at 5:47?

Koscielny to Madrid. “Massive offer”

I do love transfer goss. speak. Eyed, sources close to, and this mornings “Bookmakers have slashed odds on”

I think Gonzalo Jara was sending a clear message to Arsenal bound Cavani

“I’m about to get sent off, but you react to this cheeky finger, and you too could join me for an early bath”

how much would we even consider for Koscielny?
    RC78 would probably take £25m

WHAT???
    “Real will make a £21m move for Arsenal centre-back Laurent Koscielny, 29, as the uncertainty over whether Ramos will stay at the club grows”

£21m for Koscielny ? ha ha ha ha

bad news Raddy – dry and sunny for Glastonbury this weekend, no rolling in mud

Morning all ……

…. New post …..

61. RC78 says:

Eddie – I am not selling Kos 🙂 He is our rock at the back so he is a no-go 🙂 I would sell BFG though :-p

AW approached Ramos and Real in December last year and am sure that he is twitching his head on whether he should make a move for him…I SAY: “Let us get RAMOS as a Gunner!”. He is one true world class defender with the right attitude as well (and he can also play right back and DM in injury crisis time). He wants 10 Mln EUR per year – let us give it to him (roughly 140 000 pounds a week, which is Ozil’s salary).He is worth it. Real wants one of our defenders – OK. BFG + 40 Mln for Ramos

Cech – Bellerin, RAMOS, Kos, Monreal – Ramsey, BENDER, Cazorla – Ozil – Walcott, Sanchez

PiG – Debuchy, Chambers, Gabriel, Gibbs – Ox, Coquelin, Wilshere – RECRUIT (not more than 20 Mln then if it is for squad depth – I like Meertens from Napoli BUT we would also go for Moussa Sissoko from Newcastle who can play midfield and right winger and in that case, Ox can play up front as well), Giroud, Wellbeck

How would that look to you?

62. RC78 says:

Schweinsteiger to Man Utd to start ahead of Carrick…

Shock news: De Gea to stay at Man Utd as Benitez gives a vote of confidence to Navas…

Man Utd also targeting a right back…so far, no luck with bids for Marquinhos being rejected…

4-3-2-1 :
    De Gea – RECRUIT, Jones, RECRUIT, Rojo – Schweinsteger, Fellaini, Herrera – Mata, Young – Rooney

Vidal is thinking about joining us

He is a footballer, micky

28yo, midfielder, Juve, mates with Sanchez and On 16 June 2015, during the Copa América, Vidal suffered minor injuries when he crashed his Ferrari in Santiago, Chile. He left the hospital in a police car and was summoned to court to face charges for drunk driving.

So much for this rumour. Wenger doesn’t do pissheads