What should Arsenal’s minimum expectation be for next season?

Most would agree that the 2014/15 season was a success. A second FA Cup in a row and 3rd in the EPL represents an improvement on the previous season.

As always, we are left  feeling that it could have been even better had it not been for some key moments. If only we hadn’t conceded that 3rd goal at home against Monaco etc etc.

In the end, I was left feeling happy that we had progressed, that we had most of our players fit and more importantly we were looking like a team that is growing and improving every game.

One thing that pleases me at the moment is the cohesion and camaraderie in the squad and the obvious enjoyment that the players get from playing with one another. There are no selfish egos in the dressing room – well maybe Giroud spends too much time in front of the mirror but I get the impression that it is an ongoing joke within the squad.

Our fear that our top players are going to be plucked from the squad in the transfer window has been replaced by the expectation of a surprise big name signing ….. things are definitely looking to be on the up at The Arsenal.

An improvement next season would have to take the form of 2nd or higher in the EPL or the quarter finals or further in the Champion’s League – or would it?

Arsene Wenger has created a ‘brand’ of football that characterizes the club in this modern era. We are generally respected by supporters of clubs who are lower in the league but derided by those who think they are better (with the exception of city perhaps) because they think we are weak to put style ahead of results.

So the challenge is to prove that we can win the top honours playing the Arsenal way, but if we don’t, we know we will enjoy the ride and there will always be hope for next season.

What would represent an improvement on last season for you? ………

121 Responses to What should Arsenal’s minimum expectation be for next season?

I think the most we can ask for is to challenge for the League title, that would represent a significant improvement over the last two seasons, whilst we were top for a considerable part of the 13/14 season it was obvious to most of us that we didn’t really have the players to sustain it.

Last season the League was over by Christmas, in fact it was over when we started with so many draws. Mainly post World Cup blues and a procession of injuries to key players, we started the season without Theo, Ozil got injured early on addis Giroud and Kozzer was eased in to the full campaign with dodgy achilles, by seasons end we had virtually a full complement of players and many of us can’t see how the match day squad should be picked let alone the first eleven.

So yes we should ask for us to challenge, but it’ll depend on injuries how we judge that challenge if we are to be fair.

2. PV4 says:

As always, it really is reliant on a minimum of injuries. We suffered very badly in the season and it is obvious that had we been afforded a full complement of players we would have been there or there abouts.

Critically though, I feel that the addition of Cech or a similar keeper is essential as I think TPIG gave away 12 points last time out. We are good enough to win the league with a better keeper and a dusting of injuries. Don’t forget, besides their gift of a start bestowed by the FIXtures, the Chavs had their first choice back four all season long.

So yes, we can be first AND…with a bit of luck and maybe one more marquee…the Champions League.

3. ‘morning all, thanks to the anonymous contributor for an intriguing Question of the Day.

Minium expectation? Top three in the Premiership, Semi-finals in the Champions League. Any success in the Cup competions would be a bonus but a hat-trick of wins in the FA Cup Final would be lovely.

What do we need to make these expectations come true, or surpass them? Petr Cech, for one and a fully fit squad, but I’ll settle for a few less injuries as they can’t all stay fit all season.

I thought a bit more and thought I should categorise my answer….

What do I:

Demand? – top 4
    Expect? – a title chase
    Hope? – PL Champions

Surely we can’t demand Championship every season? Even City seem to have realised this quicker than Chelsea did with new money.

It’s not a two horse race, it’s a three possibly four if we want to be in it.

In terms of CL

Demand – qualify for knockout
    Expect – 2nd knockout round
    Hope – Semi Final

FA Cup

Demand – QuarterFinal
    Expect – Whatever fate throws at us
    Hope – Winners

Capital One Cup
    Good showing by the youth team/reserves

5. Looking back, not only on my last comment but also on the opening weeks of the last campaign, it has become obvious that we need a fast start to the season.

This time around we won’t have a fair proportion of the squad suffering the after-effects of a World Cup tournament nor, I hope, half a team in the treatment room.

It is also to be hoped that we won’t have ditched the more pragmatic approach to defending which served us so well in the second half of last season.

Glorious to watch as it was, few teams are going to allow us the freedom of the pitch so generously offered by Aston Villa in the Cup Final.

We are going to have to work hard at ball retention and even harder at quickly regaining possession. We also need to be a bit quicker in converting defence into attack, an area where the pace of a rejuvenated Theo Walcott can play a big part.

Finally I think we need a surprise package. Last season that surprise was Alexis who had a stunning impact, not just on the team, but the Premiership as a whole. I wonder what Arsene Wenger has up his sleeve this time around.

I cannot say what I expect as football at the highest levelis so unpredictable.

I expect us to continue playing quality attacking football, to be in the mix for every competition we enter.

What I hope for is to beat Spurs – something we didn’t manage last season. To beat Chelsea and get rid of the Mourinho hoodoo, and to be in with a chance of winning the PL with a month to go.

My earnest hope is that we continue to play exciting football the Arsenal way which is Wengerball. I enjoy the anticipation of the chase to the trophy and of course the ultimate thrill of being the best and winning the prize.

My dream is to see us as winners of the Champions League, as it’s the one trophy I have not seen us win and also because it would be the crowning glory for a very deserving Arsene Wenger.

The Premier League is the toughest of all and the addition of a world class keeper (Cech) might be all we need to get us over the line – oh and of course a good dose of Lady Luck.

8. X says:

Nice one, Rasper.

I expect us to make a good fist at trying to win everything.

What will be, will be, or as Norfolk-a-Ding-a-Dong our Doris Day expert would say, ‘que sera, sera’ as to what trophies, if any, we actually get.

I know that we are seen as being a stylish team with ephemeral hopes of success, by some, when compared with the professional hard-nosed attitudes of a team such as Chelsea.

As an anglophile with a love of cricket there is an interesting and contradictory example that shows how nonsensical such generalisations are.

England’s one day cricket teams have been noted for their pedantic, laborious, boring and fatally unsuccessful ‘strategy’.

New management, with younger more flamboyant players have transformed their strategy and gone all out for attacking, exciting, in-your-face stroke play, and as a consequence the last two games against the Kiwis have been stunning — too soon to say they will win the World Cup but whereas their old style ensured they has no chance – this Arsenal-like gripping style of play means they are now in the ball game.

BR is correct of course – football like any sport is too unpredictable to……well, predict – so the intrepid N/folk is whistling in the wind with his demands, but I still like him! 😀

Cheers, Rasp.

My minimum expectation is to avoid relegation. 🙂

An improvement on last season would be more points with more goals scored, while conceding less.
    I’m hoping we challenge for the title, though other teams form, injuries and a multitude of other variables conspire to make it only a hope rather than an expectation.

As far as the cups go, targetting rounds we get knocked out in, seems a bit strange to me.
    Supposing we get Chelsea away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. The last two cup runs have arguably seen only one bad draw for us i.e the mancs away, and even then, they are nothing like as formidable as they were under Ferguson.
    Supposing in the Champions League in the round of 16 we come up against a team as spawny as the chavs were in their 2011 CL campaign.

It’s absolutely crucial that you enjoy the ride. The joy of winning the League only lasts a couple of weeks. I bet the chav fans are already thinking about next season rather than the last.

It would be superb to beat them to the title playing entertaining football. The season before, with Man City and Liverpool scoring all those goals, was far more interesting than last season’s bore fest.

10. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks Rasp !.

Here`s my long answer………to compete for all trophies on all fronts and to do this we have to buy more super quality players in the right positions !. I was listening to talkSPORT today and it was proved and accepted that all the TOP money clubs who had frequently changed their managers on a regular basis….ie The Chavs !….regularly won trophies !. Now if you rightly believe we are a TOP club and in the money….which we are !……then it seems changing managers often is far from a negative !………………….No !…The Spuds are not a TOP club, so dont even mention them in your argument !. hahaha

Short answer ……………………….Finish above the Spuds !……..even if it means 19th over 20th !. hahaha

11. X, I don’t have Kelsey’s crystal ball so I rarely, if ever, go in for predictions. Today’s offerings were my expectations, if they turn into realities I’ll be as surprised as anyone. 😀

12. X says:

No one has balls like Mystic Meg, Norfolk.

And don’t worry about me misquoting you – it’s my prerogative! 😀

Keeping well?

Yep, this is an easy copy and paste for me.

“Demand? – top 4
    Expect? – a title chase
    Hope? – PL Champions” (GIE)

14. X, keeping well? Not any more my dear old friend, we have water on tap in most of Norfolk these days. 😀

Whilst chatting to my septuagenarian next door neighbour recently she recalled that when she was a young girl the blacksmith used to push a tub on wheels 100 yards along the Turnpike every Sunday evening to collect water from the beck (a small stream) for his wife to use to do the washing on Monday morning. This was about the end of WW11. We’ve come on a long way since then.

Thanks Rasp

An improvement on last season?

More goals. Less injuries. More goals. More exciting stylish football. More goals. Great away wins against the best CL Teams. More goals.

16. Micky, does it matter which team scores all the goals?

17. X says:

Water from a tap? Gee whizz, Norfolk, so modern, you must have ‘tapped’ in to the US Air Bases supply system, and endangered the free world. Did you also tap the candy supplies? 🙂

18. X says:

Micky,

I hate the way you treat the scoring of goals in such a cavalier way.

You should have mentioned goals at least 5 or 6 times more.

Did I mention goals?

CL. After that I can die, that’s the only thing I have not achieved in my life. Everything else is ticked off.

a hattrick from Lewandowski in 3 minutes. Against Georgia, but still 🙂

21. EVERYTHING Eddie?

22. Next season we are going to play such beautiful wengerball that everyone else will be in our shadow… not just the Totts. 🙂

Thanks guys, I’ve been out playing cricket all day so no chance I respond. I pretty much agree with everyone.

My highlight of last season was Per’s face when he scored in the cup final?

I’d like to think that we’ve made some changes behind the scenes that will reduce our soft tissue injury toll. Maybe Czech is all we will need to go to the next level. Having Jack and Theo fit from the start of the season would be a good start 🙂

24. Thanks Rasp

I want to win the league. I want to challenge for the league. I want ‘We are top of the league’ to ring out around the Emirates week in and week out.

I want us to do the very best we can to compete at the highest level and to do that we have to be lucky with injuries, so fingers crossed.

I agree with Rasp about Per’s face when he scored in the final, brilliant, just brilliant 🙂

Superb wiff waff pussy

Swell has finally arrived in Fiji. I go get epic footage from last night

Nearly missed your comment in amongst the garbage.
    Fiji swell will have to wait for later.

By the time we’ve all finished watching that girl firing the rifle, her shoulder is going to be very very bruised 🙂

Question remains, what exactly does Chas put into the search engine to find such a vid?

Yesss my pic worked
    That’s a small Fijiian island called Tavarua where they hold the world surf leg
    The wave, called Cloudbreak breaks on a coral reef a mile off the island!

Morning all.

The girl shooting is weirdly hypnotic.

Tavarua has been added to my bucket list

Morning Big
    Full English here, then a drive down into darkest Cornwall in what may well be a futile attempt to find a surfable wave

Micky. Full English! Deeply envious – no such thing in health conscious Scandi, just rye bread and sweet pastries.

Ride that wave

Thanks Rasp

I just want to be happy. Is that to much to ask for?

Like the humble and famous philosopher Glenn Hoddle said:

“It is better to have loved Glen, than to have never loved Glen at all”

I expect the Club and all who are associated with it to act with dignity, class, and give there all. This is the Arsenal way.

What I believe next season holds:

League- Champions. The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

A good run in Europe and a nice pop at the domestic cups is more than possible.

“If your dreams and expectations end in failure, do not despair. Glens are much more important”

35. Looks as if it’s a slow Sunday… good morning girls.

So here is my contribution for the day:

36. wally says:

I think all you can ever expect is max effort, both physically and mentally. I expect them to be smarter than last year.
    Apart from that shite happens. As they say the ball is round, it can go in any direction.
    I’d love and expect to see them be the main contender for the premiership and to grow, be smarter in cl.

Rasp, Peaches.

Check your email.

Hodgson! Playing Townend ahead of Theo. Dearie me.

Adam Banana coming on, so nothing to worry about.

Get the fuck in

41. Great goal from Jack. Why no Theo?

42. Rooney must score one of those chances soon 😃

Hahahaha

44. Oh Jack!!!!!! Fabulous

45. Now he doesn’t need to 😃

46. Told you he’d score the next one, phew, thank goodness for that.

Well done fat Wayne. Stopped townsend and Tediously from moaning about Gibbs.

48. This made me chuckle

49. Had a bit of the Cazorla about it don’t you think?

Magic from LJW and lovely first time ball from Theo to give The GS a tap-in.

Our boys did well, which is more than can be said for the idiot Andy Townshend who was just embarassing

This isn’t great, but it’s ok for those of us who had no idea England were playing a real match

53. Apparently that was Townsend’s last commentary for ITV

Just looked up team news. Was Jack playing top middle of the midfield three?

No, he was playing in the Pirlo position. 😆

Chas
    Those are great quality. Thanks
    Sarky bastard 🙂

He was really playing as the deepest lying of the midfield three.
    No sarcasm intended.

58. Definitely deep micky

59. Hector is a legend

Wow, I’m surprised
    He might score more if they shunted him further forwards 🙂
    Fabulous strikes

Rooney is the type of player who would be excellent for us in the middle

Micky. Agree but so would Suarez

63. The goals were more about the link up play of him and those around him. Lallana was particularly bold and creative.

Anyone interested
    Five mega surf clashes next up
    Could be starting in 30 mins

65. In other words they were team goals …….. kind of Arsenalesque

Thanks Peaches
    Really wish I’d seen it. Annoying thing is I was at home buggering about outside. We found no surf so came home 😦

Agreed about Banana.
    He was the vital link between midfield and attack which England lacked in the first half.

69. Anyway I’m having a mega day of watching football. I got up at 5.30am to watch the USA’s under 20 World Cup quarter final game against Serbia which sadly they lost on penalties. But I’m telling you, we’re gonna love Zelalem. There he was stamping some silky Arsenal skills on this game.

Just going to ask how many swallows make a summer?

71. Are you questioning Jack’s ability to score goals GiE or Woy’s tactical nouse?

……… or Zelalem’s silky skills?

There was a huge slice of luck for one of the goals with Lallana’s back heel finding the space that Jack was running into.

Sorry, busy weekend so just looked at the post and comments now.

My feelings are we we are only 2 possibly 3 players away from having the strongest side in the EPL and one that plays with a great style. I blieve we can afford and can get these players so I feel this summers TW is very important.

With that in mind I would echo what GIE said in the early comments yesterday about the EPL, but would be disappointed to only achieve the minimum expectation of the top 4 and would feel we had under achieved.

The ECL I would take a similar view but my hope would be to win this as well. I really think we are quite close to the top teams in Europe now and those right 2-3 players can put us in a position to beat those sides IMO.

Peaches…..LittleJack of course……Uncle Roy is a fine man but not master tactician….and Zelalem is probably one of the most exciting football talents I’ve seen for some time.

Basically wondering how many he has to score like that or otherwise before we start thinking he can get us 10+ goals a season.

What I liked about both strikes today and the one against the Baggies was how sweet he hit them, which makes me hope he has sorted his ankle out as hitting balls sweetly requires balance and dodgy ankles do not make balancing easy. Reminded me of a goal he scored in the Emirates Cup, and that thunderbastard against Birmingham in CoC Final that hit the bar.

76. Great clips of Jack GiE, it would be a great shame if that precocious talent wasn’t fulfilled wouldn’t it? I suppose it doesn’t help that opposition players want to kill him 😦

77. Red Arnie says:

sorry everyone, knot bin ear. 😦

surely winning the CL, plus qualifying for next year’s. 3rd consecutive FAC trophy will be a great bonus. And just because I am a bit spoilt by the fantastic prospect that Arsenal is, winning the 2nd Community Shield in a row. 🙂

wow, that is quite a lineup, is it not? 😛

78. Red Arnie says:

wow, Jack! 🙂 🙂 🙂

79. Red Arnie says:

Shard, dont forget sconny Botland. Please. 🙂

80. Red Arnie says:

lovely shooting girl, Chas. 🙂 and great towel mongers, Northbank. 🙂

And what the hell is that exactly. Rabbitdog?

There is something rather sinister about putting us through that first thing without so much as an apology or explanation

Only watch 30 seconds…….

Did you know that sinister comes from the Latin for “left”?

Well, anything to say then? 🙂

Chas,
    Are you saying Jack is a world class goalscoring No 10?

Morning LB 🙂

They used to burn left handers as evil (sinister)

Ok, maybe burn is an exaggeration, but you get my drift

I think i probably knew that, apparently my Mum would always take pens out of my left hand and put them in my right as the left hand is “the devils hand”. 😀

Morning Micky

Great goals by Jack.

He seems to be finally doing what people like me have been crying out for him to do when the opportunity was there.

Shooooooooooooooooooot.

LB 🙂
    Yip, stop buggering about and bloody well shoooooot
    Morning Mesut 🙂

I was very irresponsible by staying up way too late and watching the surf worldies from Fiji

So today I am scratchy and irritable and very likely to attack

92. Shard says:

Minimum expectation 4th in the league. Knockouts in CL (new rules might make this tougher for everyone) Cups are a lottery.

What I would like to see is the continued growth of this team. Playing good football, with lots of goals (am I turning into Micky?)

What I expect is a title challenge (and a win as long as referees play fair) and I would like us to reach the quarters of the CL. Winning it would be fantastic, but I think it is tough to do well in both the EPL and CL in the same season.

I would also love a hattrick of FA Cups obviously, but if not, would like to win the league cup. Wenger’s never won it, and that 2011 final needs exorcising.

93. Shard says:

Hello arnie.

Where have you been? I still don’t know why you turned Red. 🙂

Sconny Botland. I would love to visit.

94. Shard says:

Rabbits are evil creatures. They look cute and that’s their disguise as they plan to take over the world. But they can’t hide their evil smell. Or the occasional evil look in their eye.

95. Shard says:

Apparently the reason for the left hand superstition is related to hygiene. 🙂

96. Shard says:

Last one and out.

Wilshere has always been very talented. It is good that he is improving at finishing. But until he learns what to do when his team don’t have the ball, I don’t see him becoming a regular in the Arsenal team. Not this team anyway.

However, if he can stay fit and get a few games, then I expect him to improve. Having Cazorla to learn from will help too. Because it is Santi he basically has to replace. Either the coming season or next.

Aahh Sinister.

Cop for this…….

The word Bastard is very old and goes all the way back to the days of heraldry. If one was born out of wedlock it was represented on your heraldic shield by a black bar going from left to right, called a Bar Sinister.

Over time the words got Frenchified into the word Bastard meaning illegitimate.

98. The Cockie Monster says:

Morning Bastards !.

has anyone noticed the state of Rooney after yesterday’s game? He was sweating, scratching, red on the face -he looked like a 50 year old fatso in a mini marathon. And there next to him stood our little Jack – fresh as a daisy, pristine, not one hair out of place, cool and collective 🙂 And he (Jack) scored twice as many goals as Rooney

Eddie
    Be fair. I believe the top of your head is instrumental in regulating body temperature, so put simply, Fatty probably overheated
    Not a medical man, but my money says that perhaps using superglue to secure butt hair to the top of your head probably shuts down the ventialation pores
    Or somthing

micky!!! They transplant the hairs from neck and chest, not arse!

It was Jack that made Rooney look so awful by comparison.

Oi DidIt, talk to your kids. The naked selfies and Islamic radicalisation are all done via internet and smart phones these days

that’s the one

Eddie
    Did you hear that?
    Jack wouldn’t have taken the shot at Arsenal because we like to play a little bit more 🙄
    That’s the last straw. Wenger Out

Morning all

Left handed kelsey here 🙂 (that’s true)

Fantastic display and goals from Jack, now all he has to do is get in the Arsenal side.

I shall be off air for a few days .

yeah micky, I heard that one. I have also heard commentators saying that Jack performs better for England than for his club.
    Perhaps he is more suited for a more aggressive outfit? Not Stoke or Hull, but perhaps ManU?

going on holidays kels 🙂 good luck !!

Morning all …….