Walcott and Giroud Can Leave Arsenal

I will get my excuses in early for writing about something that has been covered extensively recently but in my defence it was written with the innocent aim of trying to put something new up for people to read. I am clearly bouncing off of BR’s fine post which led with the heading “Do we really need another striker?” The general tenet seemed to me to be that we already have great forwards and plenty of them; in addition, we have a first class attacking midfield who score an awful lot of goals between them so if that is the case why do we actually need another striker?

My point is that we could and should do better. With the right kind of striker, the kind we don’t have already, the kind that has super close control in tight areas, the kind of player who would be able to find his way past packed defences such as Sunderland, with this kind of striker, not only would he score more than our current group of strikers are capable of but our extremely talented midfield, and this bit is important, would score even more goals.

This is a win, win situation.

A striker with better close control, the kind we don’t have at the club already would not only score more goals himself, he would enable the attacking midfield to score even more themselves.

This doesn’t have to be a £50 million player, there are other ways.

By way of example I would suggest Antoine Griezmann, great close control; scores goals can play across the front etc, etc. There are people on here who have more of an encyclopaedic knowledge of possible signings of this ilk but I think you get the point. This kind of player can bring to the table something that none of the strikers at the club currently posses.

Do you fall into the category who believes we have enough attacking options at the club already or are you like me and think that in order to win the league we are going to have to strengthen up top?

I think this raises an interesting loyalty question: some supporters have an emotional attachment to certain players and I am no exception but doesn’t Arsenal winning the league transcend that? If it does and it certainly does for me then that goal should trump any special attachment anyone might have to Walcott and Giroud, I use those two names because I find it hard to imagine that anyone really cares about any of the other strikers currently on the books.

Maybe the ideal world is to keep those two, add one more and cut the rest loose?

What do you think?

204 Responses to Walcott and Giroud Can Leave Arsenal

Morning folks, I hope you don’t mind I accidentally pressed the publish button.

As you know LB, us early birds like to ease ourselves into the day with one or two coffees and a little light smut, so this is a surprise.

I think your much appreciated little tickler raises a bigger question about going to the next level as a club because both Arsene and Gazidis have said clearly it is upwards, and that means challenging Chavs (north and south) as well as yer Barcas, and those are very big steps upwards.

As for Giroud and Theo, I’d sell absolutely anyone if their replacement was better, and of course, there are better out there. Who they are, and what their availability is, well, that’s another question.

Thanks for the post

3. Naz says:

No one needs to go. We need to add. Build a title winning squad rather than team.

LB. Interesting and as always well-written..

I am loyal to my club not the players. If we can improve upon OG & Theo I would say do so immediately.

I agree that we could easily sell Pod, Sanogo, Campbell and even Welbz (though I think he can develop under AW’s tuition). Re-invest the money into one exceptional player and rotate the front players over the season.

Trouble is, AW will not do so, he will argue that the squad is improving and the front line is gelling into a formidable attack. I disagree, the run of games prior to WBA showed we need more.

5. Mutiso says:

Yes we need one quality striker who can score at will,it would be ok if we sell sonogo,podo,and Campbell ,the money we get would be enough to buy one quality guy up there!Wenger read pls.

Thanks for joining in, I must admit I did forget about Welbeck when I wrote that, I still have high hopes for him, but don’t believe he is ready to win us the league next season.

Right, I am off to cycle the hills of Highgate and Hampstead for the next two hours.

8. a says:

excellent article, one does need to go and too be honest I am hoping that is giroud, he has been fantastic and I have enjoyed wenger and giroud proving people wrong but he just disappears and his passing.

milan want ibra back, maybe PSG can pay £30 million for giroud, I would love to see walcott given a chance up front and someone like higuain come , he was immense when he was at real, when real’s strikers were allowed to be strikers before ronaldo came. Benzema also is a good option.

benteke – i think is superb, young , strong, fast and lukaku also

so I would like to see podolski, giroud to leave. sanogo and campbell loans again

knowing wenger he will go for marco reus and convert him into a striker

but i woudnt sell walcott to liverpool, i would send him to city, we dont need sterling , we have gnabry and plus we shouldnt deal with liverpool, that club makes out it is a crime to bid for there players and recently wanted walcott and gibbs for sterling? – who do they think they are.

A bicycle is a land surfboard, and happily we live near The Atlantic, so sea riding for us today. As always, I’m beside myself with excitement.

Happy sailings DidIt! Happiness is a rare commodity these days, good to see someone happy!

Here is a question. One to sell. Danny or Ollie?

Ollie for me without a doubt, because Danny has a much higher ceiling (I assume he lives in a Georgian House)

Eddie
    I temper my happiness with large doses of massively grumpy gitness

And as for LB – I thought life cannot get much better and then I get up to see a post from London! Eddie is happy!

Yes, I admit to having an emotional attachment to Theo, but not to Giroud. If one of them was to go I would me more upset to see Walcott going. But if I try to be sensible for once, I know it would make more sense to keep Ollie – a workhorse, injury free, terrific team player, scores goal, makes assists. Theo is hugely overpaid and can be replaced with someone like Griezman. And frankly I think he will go.

Someone, anyone to shift busses. Please Arsene

BTW – I am glad we didn’t land Suarez. Great player but still a despicable character. When he was rolling on the grass holding his face I thought he bit someone again. Twat

micky – that’s genetic, all old men are grumpy by default 🙂

Eddie. Balls. I am as happy as a Scandinavian summer day is long.

16. Paul says:

I totally agree we need new forwards. Whilst Walcott has had a good couple of games against end of season poor sides, over the season he simply could not handle the physicality of playing upfront in a central role and when playing wide, he runs out of ideas. He is always injured and personally I would sell him tomorrow and Sterling would be ideal. Ground is at best a squad player, makes his near post runs too early, is predictable and lacks the pace needed. We need a top quality central striker for sure. I would also look at other players than the 2 mentioned. Wiltshire, a great player, an Arsenal man, but the way he plays he is always an injury waiting to happen, Gibbs another always on the treatment bench add to that Diarby and my favourite – super Tom etc we simply have too players with serial injuries and will never win the PL unless we resolve this issue. We therefore need to sell some of these now, take the money and replace with top quality. It sounds terrible, but I feel Arsen is too loyal and close to some of these players to make the hard decisions needed. We need a full and fit squad that allows rotation, which would help prevent injuries and allow players to play in their rightful positions and not having to make do, which you can’t at this level.
    Whether Arsen is able or willing to make such calls, we will see, but we need 3-4 top quality additions in this window if we are to continue our momentum forward.

Raddy – you are different, you and Chas are not normal 🙂 I have one sitting on my settee sometimes, Jeez he brings tears to my eyes

Eddie
    Ollie got three PL assists all season!

Paul – 3 or 4??? Wow, he is an optimist 🙂 I agree with you, but will settle for 1

micky – 3 assists??? Sell him

Eddie
    “Normal” is not a great quality at all

22. BALDE says:

arsenal needs to buy atleast two strickers

micky – this brings us to my favourite quote “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Balde

“At least” two strikers

You and me are cut from the same cloth, and it ain’t hemp 🙂

Cracking quote Eddie

My favourite quote is “The Beatles were complete and utter knobs”

LB – it is claimed that a little hair stable on your legs is better for cycling aerodynamics than no hair. Amazing

I have terrific news for football fans on here

I’m off 🙂

Have nice days

28. …and with those few words you killed the blog! Thanks Micky! 😀

29. JM says:

(In fantasy football) I would negotiate a double trade with Bayern Munich:

Giroud for Lewandowski
    Walcott for Müller

i.e. our starting frontline attack could read: Alexis, Lewandowski & Müller
    with Özil, Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshere etc supplying them from midfield.

Though, the Bavarians are not as rash as Real & Barca in releasing their prized assets.

JM – nice to see you back!

Lewandowski has almost 4 years left on his contract
    Barca said that Messi will never be sold. If there is a rift between LM and the manager, then the manager must go.

So you are my friend barking up the wrong tree 🙂

31. harry2671 says:

Firstly, interesting article and thought provoking title………….
    Secondly Arsenal Winning transcends all favouritism…………
    Thirdly, if anyone seriously thinks Sterling is good enough, then god help you, he is shocking in front of goal, his first touch is of an elephant, he is not good enough for us, mid table luxury at best for his pace.

I get so frustrated with people inability to think for themselves and just trot out the same old crap that is spewed by so-called experts / pundits, same old arsenal, not progressing, injuries, lack this lack that, bottle the big games and my favourite ” we are further away from the champions this year, so we have got worst” – unless you drop 25 plus points etc, the difference between 6/7 to 11/12 is practically irrelevant, just look back at previous seasons and the gaps changed between them. (I even did a spread sheet on the variance so I could be sure when I argued this point!!)

For those on here that know me, remember me and my stance, will know I am not a Wenger in period, but I am a Wenger defender if I can see progress, he will always get my respect, something a lot of our fans lack. However he pushed me to the n’th degree at the end of 2012/13 wasn’t sure anymore and I was waning but in, buying Ozil and winning the cup, it put him back in the no sack zone for me, then this season gone, he took it up a notch, buying Sanchez and retaining the cup, superb.

He completely restructured and set up the medical teams last summer, the fruits of which started to show towards the end of the season, unfortunately not at the start where we struggled with injuries. But there has been a clear demonstrative improvement, both Wilshire and Walcott were edged in slower than a snail on a tricycle, but both looking really stronger and fitter than I have seen before.

Walcott had a career threatening injury just at a time when he was finally getting plaudits and acclaim for his ability and that he finally was coming of age, but by the way some fans were selling him off as a lost cause and bleating for Sterling, they obviously forgot this until his hat trick against WBA. When he got injured against Spurs it prevented a proper title push then, this season we had left ourselves too much to do.

My expectation at the start of the season was 2nd or 3rd with a nibble at the title if possible, so many of the experts wrote us off and as usual we would fail to get top 4, I won so much money off Liverpool, Man United and Scum fans who thought they end up above us in the league………

The obvious disappointment in the season was the CL debacle, but its a learning curve that I think will pay dividends next season ( I hope)………..

So to next season and what do we need?

1st Keepers – Ospina, Szczesny or another? if we can get Cech, I’d take him without a moments pause, if not I cant see us getting Lloris so Ospina gets No1 with Szczesny pushing all the way.

2nd The Defence –

RB: Debuchy and Bellerin
    LB: Monreal and Gibbs
    CB: Koscienly Gabriel BFG and Chambers.

This for me is covered but if someone of real quality came along then you don’t say no, but for me I am happy with that lot.

Midfield / Defensive –

Coquelin / Arteta (Not his best position)
    Flamini

This is difficult as I don’t want someone to come in and usurp Francis, but he needs help over a season, Flamini I think will leave, Arteta surprisingly looks like staying, but he doesn’t have the bite if Coquelin gets injured – So maybe Kondogbia or Schneiderlin…

Midfield / Offensive –

Santi, Ozil, Jack, Alex, Aaron, Gedion, Tomas,
    Sanchez, Gnarby,

What can we say about this lot? Santi had a blinder of a season and since Christmas Ozil has really had an impact, still fans doubt him!!! wtf!! sorry but if you think he is anything but exceptional you are mistakenly deluded!! Aaron took a while to get going but he is so much better than credited for and a key player.
    Next season I want to see the Ox explode and show how good he is, Gedion will get chances and he is an interesting talent! Glad Tomas is staying for another year!

Forwards
    Giroud, Welbeck, Chuba Walcott,

Ability and variety without a doubt, Walcott slips into forward line as played there in last two and with Gnarby back, we have an abundance in AM. Chuba will get chances.
    Do we need another? I would love a Ice cold finisher, someone who misses very little, a Lewandowski, is lacazette in that mould or is he going to PSG? Marco Reus is always trotted out, is he really that special? Maybe Jackson Martinez, again is he all that?

On Loan
    Sanogo, Campbell, Podolski, Ryo and Jenks.

Sanoogo needs another loan season, the others are in the departure lounge……….

So for me,

Cech, Kondogbia and Martinez or similar! But nothing more.

Keep the players we have that we want / need. Ie Walcott, Giroud,Ramsey, Santi, all must stay.

For those clamouring for the superstar signings remember in 2003/04 we only purchased Jens Lehmann for £1.5 million, before you start shouting but we had henry, bergkamp vieria etc, a lot of fans felt we weren’t strong enough and need 3 or 4 stella signings………yes we got Reyes in the winter transfer window (what a player, such a shame he didn’t realise his potential!!)

So in reality we became immortal not by stella signings but keeping the squad as one and tinkering!!

We have progressed, we have a better squad, we are covered in literally all but one position (Coquelin), our Medical team is getting better, we do have World Class talents in our team, why all the negativity!!

Next season we will push Chelsea and City all the way.

Sorry for the extended post……….

32. harry2671 says:

Well that’s off my chest!!

33. Shard says:

“With the right kind of striker, the kind we don’t have already, the kind that has super close control in tight areas, the kind of player who would be able to find his way past packed defences”

But we do have this kind of striker at the club. His name is Alexis Sanchez.

All the same, I would agree about someone like Griezmann. A left footed quality attacker is lacking from our otherwise well stocked forward line. Sterling would fit a similar bill too (is he left footed?) though I am not as enamoured with him as some others (mainly the media) Reus’ injury history might be an issue, though again, I suppose Shad Forsythe’s German team connections would mean we are well aware of that.

Sell Giroud? A definite no. We need quality AND variety in our attack, and while he may be limited, he is very good, even among the best in the world, at what he does.

Sell Walcott? A little more complicated because of his contract situation, and the shift in our style of play. Can he adapt to playing in our new system of pressing from the top? Will he track back more than he used to previously? If so, then there’s no way we should let him go (well unless he demands 200k/week). If not, then he’s going to be little more than a super sub, and as such should be upgraded on.

Ah Sahard mentioned Sanchez, the buy of the season. Based on what I saw last night why did Barca let him go and what is he worth now.

I hope this doesn’t go into spam like all my other comments,and no one is doing anything about it.

Then we have The OX .is he a striker in the making, an attacking midfielder, a winger, AW likes players who can play anywhere across the front line when attacking and then Gnabry may get his chance.

If we can do better and we can then sell Giroud as I believe the focus next season is to challenge Chelsea, everything else is a bonus.
    Welbeck has a lot of pluses,is young,but again no lethal foot to be a striker,but it may come.

Sorry I meant Shard 🙂 at 12.49.

How sad is this, I hope he can get the help he needs!!

……………………………………………………………………………………….

‘I don’t want to live this horrible life’: England football ace Kenny Sansom says he wants to kill himself as he is reduced to sleeping in parks and blowing all his pension on wine and gambling

Former footballer, 56, has resorted to sleeping in South London parks
    He lost his home to alcoholism and blows his PFA pension in bookmakers
    Mr Sansom says he has never recovered from divorcing his wife Elaine
    The former Arsenal defender says he is finally ready to accept help

By Jennifer Smith for MailOnline

GN5

I actually met him a few times and he was addicted to gambling and that broke up his marriage,I can’t feel the same sympathy as you.He knew what he was doing at the time.

40. Shard says:

kelsey

The Ox looked fantastic earlier in the season. I see him as an Alexis understudy. Not to say he will only be a sub or anything like that. But I think he’s better than Sterling, and has the same weakness as Sterling too (goal scoring)

He could also be used as the box to box midfielder, but with Cazorla going deeper, Ramsey still going strong, and Wilshere coming back, I think he’ll see more game time on the wings.

On Gnabry I would assume he will go on loan. He probably needs to play lot of games now and we surely couldn’t offer him that. I would like to see Wellington come into the squad. I know his stats aren’t great or anything but his dribbling skills are fantastic and he works hard on defense too. League Cup appearances and then we’ll see.

I am also completely against selling Sanogo. Everyone laughed at Adebayor initially but he then scored 30 goals. Giroud himself is blossoming late, as did Drogba. It seems to me that the tall, big strikers reach their peak later. Sanogo is more naturally talented than Giroud (better dribbling and quicker – lacks the first touch as of now, but so did Drogba) and in my opinion, within 2 years he will start showing his worth.

Shard

we are just guessing as who would have thought AW would throw the novice Sanogo into a vital champions league game.

By the way,quote of the day last nigh”Barca have broken their lean period of 4 years since they last won the Champions league”

Some very interesting comments there Shard.

This hadn’t crossed my mind before but it makes a lot of sense.

“The Ox looked fantastic earlier in the season. I see him as an Alexis understudy. Not to say he will only be a sub or anything like that.”

Did Drogba have issues with his first touch, seems impossible now; although, I am not saying you are wrong it’s just that I can’t remember.

Harry2671 Really enjoyed reading your comment.

Of all the young players coming through The Ox is the one who really excites me. He has it all and could become a very special player

44. harry2671 says:

I agree Raddy, Ox has it all, the way he runs with the ball at his feet not just in front, he excels through the middle and I expect him to be massive next season.

45. Shard says:

LB

I know. That part is controversial. I remember thinking that the first two years Drogba came to the league (and he was 26 then. Sanogo is still 22) But, memory is a funny thing, so I could well be wrong about that.

46. Red Arnie says:

sorry all, I was waiting on the old post and wondering why no-one was up and about! sily me. 🙂

off to read the post now. back laters. 🙂

47. Red Arnie says:

Fair point LB, and brilliantly put. 🙂

I do not think we need another striker to win the league, but need to keep Giro and Theo fit throughout the year. However, if we had one with better close control, we will be able to score more goals.

And play a better game, if that were possible. 🙂

48. Red Arnie says:

for me, Welbz is the difficult one. No doubt, he holds promise. However, at the moment, with Giro and Theo available, he will never make it to the starting lineup. At teh same time, he is an England superstar so there will be a lot of pressure to play him. 🙂

Part of me says, promise for the future, keep him, the other says let him go (on loan?).

49. Red Arnie says:

big brother …. 🙂

not many 56 year old women are told by strangers to take their t-shirt off 🙂

51. Red Arnie says:

off topic, but ….

52. Red Arnie says:

53. Red Arnie says:

GN5 and Kelsey, sad, very sad,

54. Gascoigne, just the bloke to give a young footballer advice, I don’t think.

A great talent but a piss artist and wastrel.

Watch out Jack, go the Gascoigne way and your career will be over before it’s really started.

55. Red Arnie says:

Norfolk. well said, Sir. agreed.

alcoholism and gambling are closely associated with mental health issues. EVERYBODY drinks and has a bet from time to time, but only some become addicted.

My heart goes out to them, poor souls

57. Red Arnie says:

wow Wawrinka

“both Wilshire and Walcott were edged in slower than a snail on a tricycle”

Love this………………

59. TotalArsenal says:

Nice one, LB 🙂

What exactly do you mean with close control: a good first touch, dribbling, or fast feet in the box; and who fits the bill for you?

TA – Messi 🙂

61. TotalArsenal says:

Hahaha Evonneski, Alexis on left, Ollie in the middle and Messi on the right would be nice.

How’s life treating you and how are the four footers? 🙂

now that is a good idea for a post – where shall Wenger play Messi 🙂

I am great, thanks! Pop in next time you are parking in the area

63. TotalArsenal says:

Will do 🙂

Messi behind Bellerin would work a treat. 😉

Nice post, LB.

Griezmann does look a good player. I’m not sure if he’s an out and out striker, but does work his bolleaux off when I’ve seen him for Atletico.

I really like the idea of an Aguerro/Suarez/Messi type striker to raise us to the next level but am struggling to think of anyone even remotely in their class. Let’s hope Wenger can. 🙂

Does anyone know how to find Northbank1969’s blog, I want to ask him something about France?

Morning

NB has closed his blog down. He ran it for a year but made the choice to get out while the going was good.

I am aasking yet again why are my comments going into spam, it has just happened again.

There didn’t seem to be any moderators around yesterday.

kelsey. No-one knows. It only seems to happen to you 😐

no Raddy, many of my comments go walkies too

Eddie. That is because your comments are littered with swear words and abuse 😀

No Raddy
    A lot of my comments have been going bush as well as I never ‘king swear

ha ha ha, I do try to be different 🙂 But Kels is such a gent 🙂

Did you see a photo of my t-shirt? I wore yesterday to a garden centre known for the Spurs supporting staff (and great stock). I bought a lovely silver birch for my new garden and needed their help to stick it in the car. One refused politely and the other told me to take the horrible t-shirt off 🙂 When he saw my car reg his face really dropped 🙂 Made my day 🙂 That and the fact that I bought looooots of plants worth at least £300 for £19 on a most amazing sale ever

micky – yours too? I sort understand mine and Kelsey’s, but yours? That is odd

Here we go – posted a long comment just a mo ago, gone

Copa America: 11 June to 4 July 2015

Ok, downside being no expensive south american signings until afterwards, upside, is it on telly?

Me again Eddie
    Just posted one about Copa America, and fascinating it was too, but whoosh, gone

it must be sabotage, someone trying to destabilize the blog

interesting comment about Copa America?! ha ha ha ha, you do make me laugh

oh, now I can see your comment about Copa America. Apologies are in order, it is an amazing piece of writing

Just released a couple from Spam. The spam filter can sometimes be over zealous, but I fit wasn’t we’d have no end of advice on how to enlarge things, smooth things and interfere with other people’s things 🙂

If you’re talking Aguero type player LB I’m down for that.

thanks Gie

Aguero type – and who is that? I can imagine it being a proper headache for Wenger trying to find Aguero type player

I googled ‘Aguero type player’ and got this: ‘Sergio Aguero sees Chelsea as the devil’. WTF?

83. Red Arnie says:

motning all.

I wrote a comment yesterday and I think it appeared on AA, but then vanished after a few minutes. Now, I thought that was the craft of an overzealous moderator, let us call him/her Big Brother.

But maybe not. Maybe it was an oversealous spam filter tat took time to wake up. 😛

Apart from this, I have little to say. 🙂 Already getting bored, how will we survive 8 weeks or more?

arnie – did you not read micky’s comment about Copa America??!!

guys – sorry if I sound sarcastic, no offence meant, just banter from otherwise bored grumpy old bird

Raddy take them out of spam please or think about this.

How much is Sanchez worth and wht did Barca let him go ?

Morning all, excellent post LB – brave of you to make those points 🙂

I think we all agree that it would be perfect if we could clone Aguero. We are unlikely to sign any of the big name strikers being touted this window so I guess it is down to our scouting network to unearth the ‘next Aguero’

The talk about swapping Theo of Sterling is way off the mark – why would we want Sterling any way?

I do expect a surprise big name signing this summer (Pogba, Carvalho, Martinez?)

87. Shard says:

Good morning all.

So Rasp, if you expect a surprise, wouldn’t not signing anyone like that be the real surprise? 🙂

Kelsey – I think LB shed some light on it last year. If I remember correctly he recons that Barca fans want a new toy every year and Sanchez was never their favourite. They wanted Suarez and they usually get what they want.

My take on things is the FFP sanctions on Barca not to buy until the end of 2015 was imposed in April 2014. BFC appealed that decision last summer which gave them an opportunity to buy for a long time (18 months+). That way the fans got a new toy, the FFP rule was mocked at and we landed Sanchez to pay for the cannibal. We made a good deal if you ask Eddie

shard 🙂 🙂

90. Shard says:

Eddie

Agree with a sentiment about the transfer ban being made a mockery of, but the ban itself had nothing to do with FFP. Barcelona broke rules on transfers of U18 players. Those rules are in place to prevent child trafficking (which is a problem in football)

shard – you are a bloody walking encyclopaedia. Name me 3 Aguero type players excluding Aguero

cheers Shard, I knew it was about U18s, but assumed it was part of the FFP, silly me

Eddie

You remember correctly. I have a theory that Barça fans suffer from spoilt child syndrome and their parents (the club’s owners) pander to them by buying them new toys at the begging of every season when the old ones are still perfectly good.

Their loss, our gain……….

WordPress is playing up again.

Eddie

You remember correctly. I have a theory that Barça fans suffer from spoilt child syndrome and their parents (the club’s owners) pander to them by buying them new toys at the beginning of every season when the old ones are still perfectly good.

Their loss, our gain……….

thanks LB, that is exactly what stuck in my mind – new shiny toys

Sir Wiggins did well yesterday, record breaking speed

96. Red Arnie says:

Yes, Evonne, women’s WC followed by Copa America! 🙂

Let us begin with supporting the good gals in the WC. 🙂 COYG. 🙂

97. Red Arnie says:

shiny new toy syndrome! indeed. 🙂 dare I say, some of our fans are cut out of a similar cloth. Thankfully not the “parents” though. 😛

98. Shard says:

Wddie

I wouldn’t know. I’m actually quite bad at this.

Ummm..Maybe Paulo Dybala? On his way to Juventus though.

No idea who else would class as similar.

Rasp

would you kindly look into the reason so many comments, well at least mine, are going into spam and the strange thing is yesterday I duplicated a comment, both went into spam, yet an hour later they had been deleted.

As you know I cannot work behind the scenes properly so someone deleted the comment instead of approving it.

“And while this might evoke some laughter, last season I thought Carlos Vela’s movement was similar to that of Aguero’s.”

hohoho 😉

101. Shard says:

Well it seems like kelsey is planning on bringing life to the term Christmas in July. Have you transplanted that luxurious mane onto your face kelsey? 🙂

kelsey

For what it is worth, I am suffering from the same comments issues as yourself. WordPress, you gotta love it………

The thing is, would Vela really be an upgrade on Walcott?

Hi Kelsey, we really have no idea why your comments are going into spam I’m afraid. We will email the WordPress helpline but past experience tells us that we seldom receive a satisfactory answer.

Hi Shard, I think our surprise signing may well be in the midfield (DM) area – Vidal/Carvalho/Pogba. I don’t expect us to shell out £60m+ for a striker even though I’d be happy if we did.

106. Shard says:

Rasp

I agree. Mainly because I don’t think there is a clear cut candidate for a top striker out there who would improve us and would be available. Who would you buy for even 60m? The best striker likely to be available is probably Benzema. I’m even less convinced by Cavani who is the other high profile striker who might be available.

Besides, I’m not sure we need anyone at striker. Left wing is probably our weakest point, but Alexis does a great job there right now, and with Giroud, Welbeck and Walcott along with the Ox, we should be ok.

All the same, I’ve been doing some amateur scouting and I came up with some less fancied candidates 🙂

Nolito from Celta Vigo (LW, 28 y/o, 13 goals and 13 assists)
    Patrick Herrmann from Gladbach. (Winger, 24, 11 goals, 4 assists)
    Kevin Volland from Hoffenheim (RW/St, 22, 8 goals, 5 assists)
    Domenico Berardi from Sassuolo (RW, 20, 15goals, 10 assists)
    Jonathas from Elche (St, 26, 14 goals, 7 assists)
    Luciano Vietto from Villareal (St, 21, 12 goals, 2 assists + 6 goals, 4 assists in Europa League)

Also, Granit Xhaka at Gladbach has had a great season in midfield, but since they’ve qualified for the CL, I don’t see him coming to us and our crowded midfield (He’d be a good Arteta replacement I think)

Also Carlos Bacca (Sevilla 28, St, 20 goals, 6 assists + 7 goals and 3 assists in the Europa League) but he is getting more attention now with ManU said to be interested. I don’t see him as an Arsenal player, but his goalscoring exploits deserved mention.

By the way there is a really good comment up there from Harry2671.

Does anyone know if that is our Harry of old or a new one?

108. Red Arnie says:

I liked Harry’s comment. Wrote a few lines in response yesterday which WordPress has gobbled up. 😦

Yes that’s ‘our Harry’ 🙂

110. Red Arnie says:

Basically suggested that comment could be set aside for some other day perhaps as a post. 🙂

111. I’ve just put up a comment that has vanished.

112. So you’re not alone Kelsey.

113. I’ve just repeated my “vanished” comment and that vanished too.

114. I’ll have another go.

Has the Champions League final finished yet?

After Neymar scored his injury time goal all the Barca players left the pitch to celebrate. Did the ref re-start the game after the goal?

I thought the final whistle could only be blown while the ball was in play. I could be wrong though.

Third time lucky?

115. I’ve just tried again and that’s vanished too. I’m vanishing now. 😀

116. omgarsenal says:

Selling players like Sanogo, Miyachi, Podolski,Diaby and maybe Campbell could make sense, as these guys aren’t likely to ever see future 1st team opportunities. However it is more complicated in terms of getting a player like Sanchez, whose close control is excellent and a player like Giroud whose hold-up play is formidable, all in one person who can fit the AFC style and integrate into the team.
    We must keep Walcott and Wilshere as they are the future of AFC, as is Wellbeck imho. Perhaps the answer is to bring in one gem like Sanchez and a few youth hopefuls like Akpom, etc.

Still not appearing much be the IP address that is now banned!!!!!!!!!!!!

O dear gone again

I’ve had ‘disappearing’ comments for ages.
    If you post a comment and end up at the blog banner instead of down the bottom where your comment should have appeared, then hit the back button and your comment should still be in the comment box. (This is especially useful if it was a biggun)

Then you can copy it and paste it again adding any character to stop getting the dreaded “duplicate comment detected” message.

Second time around trying a different false email sometimes works, too.

fg;fodkgdfo;igjghioj

I give up

I have had a look under the bonnet and discovered a few of the lost comments – they were in spam. No idea why and have no idea how to solve the problem.

chas. Love some of the usernames 🙂

Let’s just hope things are sorted out by wordpress tomorrow.

I will write a short post for publishing in the morning and see if that helps – perhaps it is LB’s brilliance which has broken the blog!

You know what it is NG. They want new young blood on here not the Saga Crew 🙂

124. Jeremy says:

Just been over at 7am kick off and he’s also written a very interesting piece on Giroud comparing him the players like Higuin, Benzema and Griezman. As someone on the fence about him I was surprised to learn that Giroud has been the
    worst big chance converter in the Premier
    League for three years running! I appreciate his workrate, hold up play and flicks but this might be enough to convert me to the upgrade needed camp. I don’t like mentioning another blog but I there a so few good ones I hope this is OK.

Raddy

mine all went into spam, but I haven’t got the tools to approve them, so to speak.

This from the BBC website – the Guardian comment made me laugh

“A vanity film about the history of Fifa has flopped in the US, taking £397 in its opening weekend. One of the 10 screens showing it sold one ticket.

United Passions was funded by about £17m of Fifa cash, and was completed before corruption charges were made against 14 of its officials in May.

Starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter, the hagiography of football’s governing body has had damning reviews.

The Guardian added that “as proof of corporate insanity it is a valuable case study”.

kelsey. have I reached Saga age? Damn it,

The worst big chance converter in the PL for 3 years” Jeremy this is not new to us, but he has nice hair and the girls like him 🙂

Jeremy. One of our regulars is a writer on 7 a.m. It is a fine site and no problem mention it.

n.b. Jeremy is able to post and so can I. Weird.

If you are trying to tell me that OG converts less chances than Crouch or Balotelli I will have to ask you to step outside!

I do not believe stats. They can prove any argument.

ha ha ha 🙂 I am surprised that anyone but micky is surprised that Ollie is ‘the worst big chance converter in the Premier League’ 🙂 of course he is

I think it’s the long comments that go into spam.Maybe there is now a character restriction on wordpress a bit like Twitter.

chas – they have implemented AI (artificial intelligence) on WordPress over the weekend. Any rubbish is recognised and promptly binned. Only 4 out of 5 of my comments were not published

ha ha ha, another classic for you ‘Fifa crisis: Russia & Qatar ‘may have bought votes’ – no way!

Ah but how many games did Ollie play compared to Balotelli.Crouch has been injured even longer than Ollie.

4 out of 5 is an improvement,Eddie 🙂 a better conversion rate than Olllie.

“worst big chance converter”

No shit Sherlock 🙂

Ah ha, maybe WordPress only prints “truths” 🙂

Class LB

They should both stay.

In Theos case its not write to throw away 10 years of uncertainty and abuse just when he is reaching his peak. I have always regarded Theo as one of the most magnificently shit players I have seen. At times he cant control a ball and looks to weedy to play football. The guy looks more like a chess player.

But its this ability to beat an uppity genius Chinese kid at rubiks cube that makes him special.

Cant see what Girouds done wrong? Sure, hes a terrible ponce and behind our backs probably laughs at the English, but what good continental dont? The English find every thing funny, they even laugh at the size of there man hoods

Have you ever laughed at a Frenchmans Cock LB? I dont recommend it. The last time I did the geezer went all Monte Christo on me. Ive spent the last fifteen years dueling, sword fighting, and fighting him for the affection of a demure French women who dont even look all that. Last I heard he has just escaped from some converted castle prison were he attends to ruin my reputation by announcing I once went to a Totnumb home game.

Girouds return to the side transformed our season. He is a focal point and provides a good balance to our more technical but flimsy other talents.

Micky has a big knob

there goes that theory. 🙂

the geezer went all Monte Christo on me

ROLF

Chas
    You keep your filthy little theories to yourself 🙂
    You never did tell us how the gastro cl evening panned out

143. X says:

Mr Micky has a big door knob? How do you know that, Chas?

144. X says:

Kelsey,

I think we will have to re-name you as Crystals Spam, so much time is devoted to spam, spam, spam, spam……

Anyway, Word Press have never given me any troub

Just had a thought

Naturally I’ll be bloody furious if we sign only a Goalie and a boring Back rather than a goalscoring thrillster, so how will I manifest my crossness?

146. X says:

Mr Micky,

What have you been up to?

SURFER’S BUMS TO HELP ANTI-BIOTIC RESEARCH:

Scientists in Cornwall are about to begin an innovative study that will shed light on how surfers exposed to human sewage and pollution in seawater might be affected by antibiotic resistant bacteria.

In the first project of its kind, the Beach Bums study wants to recruit 150 surfers and bodyboarders who surf at least three times a month, like Mr Micky.
    In a novel approach to data collection, the team is also asking each participant to recruit someone who doesn’t surf.

The bum swabs will give researchers an insight into the microbes that are colonising participant’s guts and they are hoping that by comparing samples from those who regularly spend time in seawater with those who don’t.”

Oh, my!

Can someone “in authority” put up a new page with any old headline and see if that solves the problem

Micky
    It was very successful, surprisingly. All food eaten. Recycling bin gone from nearly empty to overflowing.
    The highlight was 3 of the lads having this free bet thing going on. They all went for 3 different correct scores, something like 1-0, 2-0 and 3-1.
    At 2-1 entering injury time it all looked done, but the Barca breakaway had us all on our feet. When Neymar’s goal went in we lifted the roof off and pandemonium ensued.
    3-1 was 12-1 and they had a £50 stake on it.

X
    Yes, I heard about that today
    I am most definitely affected

Sounds great

being angry should be spontaneous, thinking about what you are going to do when you are cross is just…………..queer

I will not be angry if we sign no one, but I would be furious if Santi goes

“But its this ability to beat an uppity genius Chinese kid at Rubik cube that makes him special.” (Terry on Walcott.)

I am simply not worthy……………..

Hilarious.

Santi isn’t going anywhere, I bet my red and white cod piece on this one…………..

154. Just chatting with wordpress about the current ‘comments disappearing’ problems can someone tell me if they get any error messages when they send their comment?

And do we know who’s been affected?

No error messages, P.
    What happens to me is I get returned to the banner instead of the bottom of the page, no comment appears but if you try and post the same comment you get the “duplicate comment detected, you’ve said that already”. (presumably because it’s in spam)

156. We’ll put a new post up tomorrow which hopefully will clear the glitch but if it doesn’t please can everyone who has a problem email me to arsenalnuts@live.co.uk with the following information……

Time posted, text of the comment, username, whether they were logged into the WordPress.com account, and whether they saw an error message or not

I will forward the information to one of the wordpress helpers.

Thanks all for your patience ………………..

How does WordPress detect spam?
    Perhaps we can duplicate the effect by deliberately posting spam?

158. Hi chas, are you logged in to wordpress when you blog – not that you need to be?

It’s happened to me using spurious email addresses and while logged into WordPress.

Haha, nearly answered your question before you asked it. 🙂

161. There’s an intelligent filter that detects if a comment should go into spam – content, email address, user name, links, history, I think it would be too difficult to create one.

162. Yes, well I know about your spurious email addresses already 🙂

163. GoonerB wrote a fantastic comment yesterday that got sucked into spam, I couldn’t see why except it was long 😉

It’s happening again….

Had to log out of wordpress, and use spurious to get the above up.

166. Just found your comments …………..

It’s not unusual for the ‘posting comments too soon’ to come up.

You just have to ‘slow down’ 🙂

Nobby

168. Ok chas, there are three comments in spam, posted at 9.05, 9.06, 9.07. Were you logged in to wordpress for any of them? Did you get any error messages?

169. bollock features says:

All disappearing now.
    Heap of shit

170. bollock features says:

Yep was logged into WordPress for all 3 and there was no error message. As I said, the screen just flickers and I was returned to the banner instead of the bottom of the day’s comments.

171. bollock features says:

“were no error messages”

172. bollock features says:

Was there a banned word in any or all of them?

173. bollock features says:

Oooooooo, wordpress likes ‘bollock features’. 🙂

174. bollock features says:

Hey, new blog name!

175. bollock features says:

Bum titty bum titty bum titty bum titty bum titty bum titty bum bum bum

176. bollock features says:

spectrum

177. Calm down …………. pour yourself a drink, I’ve sent the info of your last comments to wordpress.

Deep breath, ohhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Now try again using chas, it’s easier for me to find you if I know which name I’m looking for 😉

I did read up on it at one point and apparently you can exclude certain IP addresses from the spam filter, but it sounded like too much titting around you’d have to do. 🙂

So, I didn’t pursue it.

Right, I’m off to do something less interesting.

181. Red Arnie says:

Good fun.

182. Just found a few comments from micky that I’ve sent on to wordpress too – sorry micky, hope you can get on tomorrow.

The weird thing is that the comments have all been cleared by the spam filter.

183. Red Arnie says:

Peaches. I had only one gobbled up, and that was yesterday.

184. Thanks arnie, I’ll have a look.

Back in the day, John “Fash The Bash” Fashanu, probably had the best stats in the league

See where I’m going? 🙂

Chelsea play effective winning football, just like Wimbledon did

See where I’m going 🙂

Ok, while the goings good, and wordpress are printing me, I’ll spit it out. I don’t care how many goals Ollie scores, he has no style and is dull to watch. Splendid hair I’m sure, but 🙂

Once again the leftie hippy is at odds with the County Squire. Typically Squire Didit has no respect for the man at the coal face and tilts his admiration towards the fancy dans operating in foreign climes at clubs where they rarely have to work for the goals.

Thankfully chas has balanced the argument with the 5.55 link (does the man not sleep)

New Post

It is just a filler to see whether the wordpress problems persist

194. X says:

Mr Micky,

Having researched the ‘spam’ filter system I can tell you that part of the filter eliminates people who take the micky out of decent, licentious, left wing, free loving, hippy personages, like the nice Mr Raddish, who is currently gainfully employed in flirting with and fleecing gullible American tourists.

Bad news lads – Arsene is chasing Grzegorz Krychowiak. you will never be able to pronounce his name 🙂 I will forever laugh at your feeble attempts

I love this, so cheerful and easy on the ear

And example of extreme boredom:

The great banner on this blog lists all the years the Arsenal won the FA cup and Eddie is so fooking bored that noticed that we never won the Cup in a year ending with digit ‘7’. Now, try to beat that for bordom