Another 1- 0 to The Arsenal?

Can we continue the winning run at OT?  Though we are unbeaten at the Manchester Main Library in 2015 the portents are mixed.

The nine years without the glory of winning of both silverware and at what is the PL’s most prestigious and largest ground has finally been resigned to history; can Arsenal win both the FAC and at OT twice in a year? Why not?

Firstly, we have to re-discover the scoring form of earlier in the year and Giroud in particular could …..

I had better stop this now. Quite honestly I am not in possession of the facts nor the passion to write about this afternoon’s game in any depth – you will have to get the runners and riders elsewhere, instead let us look back in time (it is almost always the best place).

Weds May 8th 2002.  Jubilee year. We went up to the Toilet in fine form and the previous weekend had won the FA Cup at Cardiff thanks to goals from Ray and Freddie. The team was without the injured Pires, Adams and TH14 but was so good that Dennis was on the bench for this important fixture!

United were Champions and hurting. This was the team of Beckham, Van Nistelroy, Roy Keane, Scholes,the Neville Brothers and Laurent Blanc. They needed the points to ensure CL qualification and above all, Ferguson hated the idea of his nemesis Mr Wenger winning the title at his “fortress”.

These were the years of  the bitter rivalry between the Professor and the Rednosed Glaswegian. a time when on-field battles were a regular occurrence (remember the docked points?), the PV4/Keane feud, the heinous Neville assaults on our fleet-footed marvels, the Keown/Nistleroy contretemps was just a year away. It was the biggest fixture of the season and although I couldn’t attend I was excited with a serious E.

We needed just a point to win the title but from the off we attacked. Kanu passed to Wiltord who hit Blanc with a stinger which went for a corner. Freddie buzzed around causing havoc. Scholes picked up his customary yellow for a dreadful tackle on Edu (he shouldn’t have left AFC so early), Neville and Keane followed him into the book as MU realised they couldn’t compete trying to play football (expect the same today). Then on the hour Ray sent Freddie clear, his shot hit Barthez and rebounded to Sylvian who slotted it home. Cue bedlam in the away end. Our solid defence saw out the game without further trouble.

gun__1358327421_wiltord_oldtrafford2002

We had won the title at our most hated rivals (OK, I know we also won the League at WHL – but give me some artistic licence!) and not just won the Premiership but the Double as well.

Happy Days.

There is no reason why we cannot win at OT this afternoon, MU will surely have to attack at home and the game should be a cracker (unlike Swansea).  We need to find a way past the wonderful De Gea which is not easy but can be done. OG has to occupy the CB’s and create space for our little fellows, the defence has to be resolute with Le Coq vital insurance as Ramsey/Wilshire venture forward.

I am 50% confident

COYRRG

103 Responses to Another 1- 0 to The Arsenal?

1. First……. great stuff Raddy

50% confident is about right…. will the good looking fella score, I reckon so. COYG’s

Cheers, BR.
    What an excellent memory OT May 2002 really is.

Usually the 50 something per cent confidence is for a win, I presume.
    A draw would do us fine today, too.

Cheers, Flappy.
    From acting like a magnet for the ball on Monday, you revert back to being shite against Citeh.

Soz, the back is a little superfluous in that sentence. 🙂

Morning Raddy, NB and Chas.

Raddy, Wiltord’s goal was one of the classic “Up yours” to every indignity that we suffered at the Manchester Bog.

Thank you for taking the time to write yet another pre match post – how many do you think you have written?

No-one around on an important afternoon. Has the garden centre become more interesting than The Arsenal?

Anyway, I am on the sofa and there is plenty of room. Come and join me.

GN5. Must be over 400 posts by now. Enjoyed writing almost all of them.

Arsenal: Ospina; Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Cazorla, Coquelin; Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez; Giroud.

Subs: Szczesny, Gibbs, Gabriel, Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere, Walcott.

No surprises

Raddy, I’m just setting the game up on the big screen, just me and my 6 year old grandson. Hoping for a positive result that dumps Man U into the qualifiers.

400 originals, very impressive.

11. Afternoon all, I’m joining you on the sofa

12. Raddy – Rasp only has intermittent access to the Internet due to a new computer system at work.

We have yet to get in their half! Santi has forgotten we are laying in yellow not red.

Come on you Gunners

Raddy – holidays did you good, the new found optimism is very telling 🙂

40% for me, especially after seeing the first 15mins

Could Ospina have done better?

Afternoon all, according to my phone app, they’ve had 6 shots on goal and we haven’t had one – is that correct?

Back to playing like wankers at Old Trafford.
    Too many passengers.
    I feel sorry for the fans that have made the trip.

18. But Cazorla can’t get on the ball!!!!!

Cazorla has been at the heart of the problem – his passing has been terrible.

But then so have most of the team as we have been comprehensively outplayed by an average MU. Coquille’s limitations are being cruelly exposed but he is not helped by Ramsey or Cazorla. The less said the better about Ozil

Back 4 doing OK under difficult circumstances as is OG but we have to do better second half.

Best AFC player is the 12th man – Away boys in fine voice.

20. fatgingergooner says:

Dreadful half.

75% pass completion (50% when in the final third!).

If we are playing Ramsey wide to help us keep possession better then it isn’t working. I would bring Cazorla off, put Ramsey central and bring a proper winger on. If also be tempted to put Wilshere on ASAP to give us some bite in midfield and help us move forward quicker.

Whatever we are doing so far is not working.

FGG. Agree. Santi off for Theo.

22. Oh dear, we really should be able to play better than this 😦

When do we ever change anything at half time?

Thanks for a great PM Raddy.

There is something wrong when we bring the ball forward through midfield. We too often seem to “miss the moment” as I would put it when we potentially have a dangerous attacking position we could exploit.

Personally I think this has been the case through this season even during our good run. Missing these moments is more obvious against better opposition as you don’t get so many of them as you do with lesser teams where I feel it can be disguised more.

It seems that so many of our midfielders seem to over-run the ball or hold it too long looking for an option and then lose possession. Either that or they stop and turn sideways or backwards losing the initiative in the attack. Personally I feel this is down to the limitations that Ramsey (not a winger) and Ollie bring due to their lack of pace. It worries me that Arsene seems to think this is a winning formation to move forward with. Maybe he doesn’t. I hope that is the case and the summer TW will see additions that show this.

BTW we are not helped by having Mike Dean show his incompetence once again. Fellaini fouling constantly and not being called, Ozil and Sanchez pushed off the ball illegally – not called. OG clattered from behind – not called etc etc

Sub at 73 mins?

Don’t take Coqueelin off

Coquelin moving to RB

Smalling takes OG’s shirt as a souvenir and no penalty? Oh yes, it is at Old Trafford isn’t it?

Good substitutions

31. Oooooooh the come back is on 🙂

That will do. We have the momentum to win this.

Simple early ball, bit of luck with the deflection, but at least we took a risk and got it forward quickly

34. Come on handsome one ……….. time to score, either you or Rambo I don’t mind which.

I didn’t see the first half but that looked like a much better second half

36. fatgingergooner says:

Happy with the result. Much better last 30 minutes.

3rd pretty much ours now. Just hope Saints beat City on last day n we can nick 2nd.

Oh well. Not a bad result at all really. Helps us more than them.

38. Two home games now, time to turn on the style for us. Looking forward to Wednesday 🙂

So much better in the second half.
    Thank you footballing gods for the spawny goal.

Very happy with a point which confirms my 50% confidence prior to the game. Eddie – game is 95 mins 😀

Much better second half and we looked more comfortable with Coq at RB and Ramsey/Wilshere central.

So does Theo get the goal or was it an OG, and who gets the assist chas 🙂

Theo assist if goal given as on OG

Absolutely Raddy, Ramsey centrally and Theo wide made the difference – or so TH 14 says 😆

Thanks chas

45. Adrian says:

Look at how Ramsey started bossing the midfield in the last 20 minutes after Wenger moved him to central midfield. The sooner Wenger stops this playing midfielders on the wings nonsense the better. I don’t buy the “we have a fluid front four which rotates throughout the game” story, fluid is the last word I would describe our attacking play in the final third during the first hour or so.

Another thing. While Giroud and Coquelin both performed admirably so far this season, I think this game exploits their limitations. As much as I hate saying this, Giroud is not a clinical striker and In tough games against top four opposition like today you very rarely get more than one or two clear cut chances and you need to make the most out of it. Top strikers/poachers like Aguero/Benzema/Suarez etc would punish opposing teams the minute the opportunity presents itself and they can make something happen out of a half chance. Coquelin who has been great so far has also shown his weakness today which is a lack of of physical size and passing. He was tasked to bully/disrupt Fellaini but he ended up being the one on the receiving end.

Cazorla in particular had a poor game for his high standards recently, and once again Ozil goes missing in the big games (something really needs to be done about this.) And can we please see more of Walcott?

All in all, I guess I shouldn’t complain considering we got a frankly quite undeserved point (thank you lady luck) but I feel that Wenger still has quite a lot of work to do for us to challenge for the title next season.

Adrian. Fair summation though I do not agree about Lady Luck. I think over the 90+ mins we were the better team – crap for 40 mins and yet had the upper hand for 50.

We deserved our goal however it came.

Still think Ospina could and should have saved Herrera’s shot.

My two pennorth worth.
    In the first half we needed Ramsey and Sanchez to drop back into midfield to help Cazorla, which neither of them seemed to realise was necessary even though it was obvious to every man and his dog that Coq and Santi needed help (i.e someone to pass to other than each other).

Interesting comment Adrian

Not sure why you “hate saying the Giroud isn’t a clinical striker”. He isn’t, simple as, however, we all know he does very well within his limitations but he is limited.

“Coquelin’s job was to bully Fellaini”, well yes, but give me the name of someone who has ever successfully done that? Le Coq did his job as well as anyone, if not better than most of our team in the first half.

Ramsey: In an ideal world, the Welshman would replace Coquelin and Walcott would play on the wing, the problem is that the defensive side of Ramsey’s game is still not good enough, hence the need to start with Coquelin and only later, when we go on the offensive as we did today, does Ramsey replaces him. This is not an ideal situation but had we started without Coquelin we could well have been three down by half time, think of the thrashings we got last season and ask why this isn’t happening this season.

On a side note I thought Wilshere was excellent when he came on.

49. Adrian says:

On second viewing I agree that Ospina could perhaps have done better. Just like the previous game against Swansea. Maybe something that Wenger should look at this summer too.

However I disagree that we were the better team throughout the 90, far from it in fact. They had double our attempts on goal and had roughly 60% of possession and we didn’t even have a single shot on target till the 50/60th minute. I felt we were slightly lucky in the sense that we were only 1 goal down going into the half time break with a rejuvenated ashley young terrorizing our right flank (Its games like this where I feel we missed the experience of Debuchy).

I feel that our main issue was the fact that, once again, we were out hustled when we gained the ball. Ramsey through the middle was a game changer and Theo’s speed gave them fits.

Santi was out of sorts and his passes were just awful. I feel we were a tad lucky to get a point (but as Chapman once said) “but who gives a damn”!

People do realise that Ramsey has dropped back to a deeper role, exactly the same way as he did today, for the last 6 games?

Well I hope people realise anyway.

I thought it was Ozil who failed to drop back and give Cazorla support.

I thought we were pony for 90 minutes and no one deserves much praise after that. In fact I’d have been happier losing.

Think the players were playing for a draw from the off…..dangerous game and we should have paid for it.

I am in two minds after that game.

Very happy with the result, altho if we had been given a penalty by Dean we might even have won it.

On the other hand, not for the first time, I did not really enjoy the football we played. It was the same poor passing, in the first half, and the static sideways and backwards movement of the ball drives me quackers. 🙂 Sorry, Duck.

Some finger pointing might be permitted at this stage of the season, and Cazzor, Mesut and Sanchez seemed to have hit a brick wall, so that, whereas there is no doubting their individual skill sets, their application and energy was just not in evidence.

Arsene, ‘the contrarian’, (I thought that title belonged to me), has now said that he was aware of the need to strengthen some positions, and will try to do so in the Transfer Market, whereas previously he had said we had a quality squad and he did not see any need to make additions to the squad as he wanted to keep everyone.

Complex man Mr Wenger, as he seems to shift his views on a whim. 🙂

GIE, There has never been an occasion when I would have been happier if we had lost a game. I don’t understand – why would you think that?

C’mon RA, you can’t say it was all sideways and backwards passing in the first half as we hardly strung two passes together in any direction. 🙂

LB
    The point I was trying to make was that Rambo should have dropped back into midfield in the first half when we were under the cosh, but didn’t.
    After all, he’s as much use as a chocolate teapot on the right wing if we haven’t got possesiion. 🙂

Hi GN5,

Wasn’t it Clark Gable (Rhett Butler) in Gone with the Wind, who said – ‘Only one point? Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!’. 🙂

Chas,

I am a staunch Arsenal fan, and do not let poxy things like facts get in the way of my opinions, however crap they may be. 🙂

Ignore GIE, he’s talking bollocks.
    He’s only pissed off because we played so poorly for the first hour.

In some ways it’s even better to sneak such a crucial point in the way we did.
    Right, I’m off to celebrate a bit more. 😆

64. fatgingergooner says:

I thought we were dreadful for an hour and then we started to get a foothold in the game. The subs made the difference though imo.

Walcott stuck to his wing and made some excellent runs in behind. If we are going to slate him when he’s poor, then he deserves praise today for coming on and having an impact. Afterall, he is an impact player!

Wilshere was also excellent and gave us some drive through the middle, especially with Ramsey next to him.The amount of times we had players running at their back 4 in the last 20 minutes was amazing, and a total opposite to the previous 70 minutes where we couldn’t pass through their midfield.

Giroud should’ve scored us a winning goal today with the chances he had. Thats the difference between excellent and world class. A world class striker probably gets us 3 points today. I think we all want Giroud to be that man, but most will agree he just falls short.

The Cazorla Coq Özil trio doesn’t do it for me. It’s missing the engine of someone like Ramsey. As much as I love Cazorla, I just don’t think the balance is right with him as the middle of the 3 midfielders.

The Cup Final team is going to be interesting.

Chas

My comment wasn’t meant to be provocative, you thought either Ramsey or Sanchez should have dropped back where as I thought Ozil should have. Horses, courses………….

Wenger’s game plan almost worked perfectly, soak up the pressure and then, as they fade, turn the screw tighter and tighter.

Arsenal were the better team on the day.

That comment from GIE was obviously an emotional reflex and therefore doesn’t count.

It was a brilliant crucial point, go celebrate a lot.

Ahhhh I should explain that last comment, it was written in haste as G decided to show me what he had had for lunch and dinner after it had only been semi digested. I suppose we get what we deserve allowing him to eat at a Food Festival, he’s always had the constitution of an ox but today either the cheese and pesto crepe, the chorizo pizza crepe, or the slow cooked Harissa lamb got him, or it could have been the slurps of milkshake, still 2.5years old for your first proper hurl isn’t bad.

H at 9 months was also in for the cheese and pesto crepe and he is fine.

Anyway to explain further, I feel like on occasion this season the players have not followed the Wenger way, at least not all of them, and this is a team game, it can’t be half doing the attacking thing and half doing the defending thing, especially away from home, I feel United were there for the taking, but only if you get at their defence, and if we leave big gaps between the lines like we did today because of the way the players seemed to approach the game we left ourselves open to being on the end of the onslaught in the first half and not committing men forward or pushing up the pitch we did not give ourselves a chance to get at their weak points.

Why would I rather we lost? Because the team need a reminder that they need to play as a team. Like I say I won’t pick anyone out for praise or criticism even players that did good things had plenty to improve upon of the team think they can push on next season.

Evening all.

We looked extremely lethargic during the first half and it was only when AW changed things around we bossed the last half an hour.

Haha, GIE, poor old Georgie.

Did you see Joe Hart’s save versus Swansea at 3-2?
    Fecking world class.

Still celebrating. 🙂

Call him what you like but one thing giroud isn’t is clinical.A quicker better striker would have won us the game.

Just a note about Fabianski.Although everything appeared to be directed right at him when we played Swansea just look at the goals he conceded today, so luck does play a part in matches.

Sorry this should have been all one comment.

I reckon provided he remains injury free Ramsey will be one of the most important players in the team, playing centrally.

Santi had a poor game …. so what ,he is human.

Ozil continues to disappoints he should have the courage of his own convictions and take more opportunities rather than the easy option of passing.

All in all this point should guarantee third and that makes life a lot easier for the start of next season though we still need a keeper (Ospina should have got nearer to the ball today) an improved version of Le Coq and a striker.

Mmmm. For the last 20 minutes we were all over them and had OG been less wasteful (more fortunate) would have won, so I do not understand the brickbats. It is not as if MU are a rubbish side – they are full of hugely expensive quality players.

We were denied a clear penalty (Smalling on OG) by a ref who has history with us, Ramsey had a shot cleared off the line.

Yes, MU had more possession as we wasted the ball too often in the first half but De Gea was the busier keeper and made the more difficult saves.

Or was I watching a different game?

We need to buy to win the title but a point at OT is an improvement

Kelsey. Good evening.

I agree with your shopping list and would add a left winger to allow Alexis some time off

One for the back pages Chas, SafeHands would have taken two steps and caught it 😀

I think most people would agree that a new striker should be top of the shopping list but Wenger is going to have to delve really deep into his magic hat to find the kind we are all hoping for because top quality strikers are few and far between.

I wish there was a course on how to write short sentences…….

75. The Cockie Monster says:

Belated thanks Biggy !. 😀

I`d have bitten your hand off for a point before the game !………one point from the last two games may get us 3rd, but to be safe we need two !……and from 2 home games !…we want shooting if we miss 3rd from here !.
    A nice hard CL qualifier for Manshafter would be a great way to start next season with them being dumped into the Europa league !….get in there !.
    Off the game !…..I was listening to Radio 4 on Friday and someone went from Hero to Zero in a matter of seconds !……..Sir Bradley Wiggins was on Desert Island discs and picked a Chas & Dave song which contained some lyrics along the lines of …”Glenda scoring a goal “….and “Shite Fart Pain”……..not only that, but he said they were Rock royalty !…………………..So from a Tour de France Olympic Champion and Knight of the Realm to Complete Tosser with stabilizers on his cock in seconds !…………….late breaking news !!!……..watching Big Brother and one of the wankers has a spud tattoo !…….Get Danny Out !.

LB. There is.

Hi GiE, George may have decided to show you what he had for dinner, but I’m sure he has a better vocabulary than this little chap 🙂

Hysterical Rasp 😀

80. arnie says:

nice one, Raddy. 🙂

I saw the first half and we were poor. Missed the 2nd, but listened to commentary. reasobaly happy with the result. COYG. 🙂

81. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Or Morning when you read this.
    Was out visiting while the game was on so stayed away from the result. I have just watched the game, and looked at some of the comments and in my view some of you watched a different game to me.

In my opinion we were rubbish in the first half, I would like to say slow build up play, but i can’t as we didn’t attack at all, our passing was horrendous United over powered us and we were truly squashed. I have had times where i thought we were playing badly, but in this instance we were just outplayed.

I felt we were extremely lucky not to be down more than the one goal. United pressed us pressurised us and overpowered us into submission. The players walked off at half time battered and bruised without a clue of how to change the flow of the tide.

Arsene i feel, is not the best tacticion so i would assume he would have told them to carry on as the first half, as United would have expelled a lot of energy and chances will come.

Sadly United started much the same and so did we, We never had a shot at all for sixty minutes if you can call it that, but where Arsene was probably right, they did start to slow down and we actually started to get one or two passes together.

I believe the ref was a homer as he certainly never thought any of United blatant fouls was worth mentioning , as Arsenals attacks were broken down by unnecessary fouls, it took a while for us to mount ant kind of possession.

Arsenal it has to be said, cannot play against a side that pressurise every player, they give the ball away and shy away from the physicality. we relinquish possession and also makes players hold the ball to long. In today’s game, it was almost impossible to get the ball out of our own half.

Three quarters of the game had gone before we came to life, United having a breather and we strung a few passes together but all the time our focus was on alert for a breakaway so no flowing play, our equaliser came from ricocheted cross, just as well as we had nobody out there with any idea of where their goal was.

Both sides settled for a draw after that, United was tired and Arsenal players minds were blank. Shared points was always better than a loss, but a game like this shows that Arsenal still need a lot of building. Money will definitely need to be spent, because what we have is just cutting the mustard.

Our wings are empty, our forwards are clueless our keeper is not top notch, and the rest of them could be easily replaced by better, Yes indeed our last two games have been pitiful, a weak united with a weaker Arsenal.

Thanks Raddy, very nice to have one of your titillators PM

Saw the game. Utter garbage till Jack and Theo came on. Completely predictable. Excellent point 🙂

So in the mood for a dog vid 🙂

Rasp @ 10:38 ROLF

Guessing Chas over celebrated and became, how you say, a little unsteady 🙂

Ok, enough idle chit chat with myself

86. fatgingergooner says:

I like the fact we got a point out of the game. Last season that would’ve turned into a 3 or 4 goal drubbing. We stuck in there, were resolute, and came out firing at the end and could easily have won it. These are things we’ve all accused Arsenal of being unable to do in the recent past.

I also think we have to praise the fitness of the players. We played Monday night, yet it was United who looked absolutely spent after 70 minutes. Their midfield suddenly had gaping holes and we were all over them.

Most people are saying it was a poor performance, yet we came away from Old Trafford with a point. We’ve played much better against this team and got beat (home game).

I am delighted I saw a different game to you Steve 😀

Away against a top 4 team, at a place where we have lost our last 5 PL visits – we could easily have won.

Why is it OK to praise other sides for laying rope-a-dope and ceding possession but not AFC?

I am not in any way saying we played particularly well but we played well enough for a draw.

ok Raddy, your 50% was spot on 🙂

It is easy to confuse one subjective opinion [we played well/badly/etc] with another subjective opinion [the style of play was enjoyable/dire/etc] – but they are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

We played well enough to get a draw – because we got a draw.

For this correspondent the way we played was sterile and not enjoyable.

The point was enjoyable, and hard earned – if fortunate.

This does not negate the subjective opinions of others – by definition, ‘subjective’ does not mean there is a ‘right or wrong’.

RA. In my opinion there is definitely a right and wrong 🙂

I’ve cobbled together some AAers comments into a sort of report and sent it to Nuts, if you wish to use it.

Progress will be subject to opinion when the season is over.

I like Ospina yet his weakest point are his hands, not a good omen for a keeper 🙂

Was Le Coq a lucky acquisition whilst out on loan .

Luck does play a big part in most games.

In the end have we improved enough to really challenge Chelsea next season.

All top 4 clubs and Liverpool and Spurs will be looking for these extra ordinary players to take their team to a higher level and regardless of position, are there that many really good players available, but more to the point enough to go round to improve all these teams.

Facts don’t lie and the top 4 as it will finish shows yet again a bad return in points by our team.

All managers lie when interviewed but AW must realise that two or three quality signings will make us a bigger threat next season plus the fact that I can envisage at least 6 or 7 first team players at least in money terms will be leaving this Summer, which helps with extra funding for negotiations.

93. Thanks chas, I’ll try and sort it now

97. arnie says:

motning all.

apart from poor cover at left back for the goal, no real complaints. 🙂

My comments are copyrighted, Chas, so unless you have arranged to pay my usual fee – a big sticky kiss – I trust you will not be using my subjective opinions – even if everything I said is inarguably correct. 🙂

Of course, the converse is also true, Chas, in that if you do not think any of my opinions have any value and will not be used, because they are inarguably crap, then I will have to give you a big sticky kiss in retribution. 🙂

We have a New Post ………………

…………. can’t sort the photos at the moment but will try in a bit.

101. What happens is the fact that the registry keys produced through the sport get corrupted and it
    turns into hard with the online game collection as much as perform typically.
    Squire’s have the same access as peasants however
    they can earn up to $10 dollars per kindred and
    up to $1 per solider. The study found that
    “kids who played a violent video game showed an increase in emotional arousal – and a corresponding decrease of activity in the brain areas involved in self-control, inhibition and attention” (Kalnig).