We’re all going on a summer holiday….

It was good to see Jack Wilshere return to first team action, albeit for just twenty-five minutes against Hull City. He looked sharp and appeared to be fully fit, he didn’t look afraid to take the ball into situations where he would get tackled.

If, as is rumoured, Santi Cazorla leaves in the summer, Jack will be in direct competition with Aaron Ramsey for a midfield berth and it will be difficult to choose between them. They are both effective but in different ways, Jack is the more dynamic player, happy to run with the ball at his feat, drawing in defenders thus creating space for the strikers. Aaron is better at picking out passes but tends to slow the game down at times. It must be a case of horses for courses. Different opposition and different game situations demanding different tactics.

Of course, everything is dependent on Wilshere’s fitness, he has been out since November, he has a history of breaking down when returning from injury, perhaps returning too soon.

With only a handful of games to go in the season it is difficult to see him getting much game time, particularly given the form of the current starting eleven, and it’s game time that he desperately needs if he’s going to be able to play a part from the start of the new season.

The UEFA European Under 21 Championship is taking place in the Czech Republic this summer, Wilshere is qualified to take part as an over-age player, it would get him the match time he needs and would keep him out of trouble for a few weeks, it would also give a very good indication of his future fitness and would be excellent preparation for the new season.

If Gareth Southgate could be induced to call him up, would it be a good thing for him to go? Or should he be given the summer off to relax in the sunshine with his mates?

………Should Jack go too?

Written by Norfolk Gooner

164 Responses to We’re all going on a summer holiday….

1. ‘morning all,

thanks for sorting that Peaches.

Right I’m off to vote, there’s only one thing influencing the way i cast my ballot, the economy.

Without a strong economy the countries f****d.

Think before you vote!!

2. PV4 says:

For me, I don’t think that Jack and Ramsey play that well together. Jack always seems to over try. As for the summer tournament – it would be good for him to get playing time, but knowing our luck he would get targeted and hit hard. Voting? Whoever has promised stability and shown genuine passion for our great country gets my vote.

Ah, a Jack post, something close to my heart.

Before I start I want to make clear that I want Jack to succeed as much as the next Arsenal supporter.

Although, as some know, I have had my concerns which I voiced a while back. The problem with blogging is that things tend to get forgotten over the course of time so by way of reminder here they are again:

I was very unhappy at what I saw as Jack getting preferential treatment at the cost of better options; in other words, I thought his team selection was unjustified. Cast your mind back to the earlier part of the season during which Wilshere was playing in the middle and Cazorla was playing on the left wing………..so, are you starting to get the idea why I thought that was a bad idea? Cazorla was wasted at the cost of keeping Jack happy and that cost us points.

I have said this before and I will say it again, Wilshere is not an attacking midfielder, the only doubt I have about this is the suggestion someone made that he could become a Lampard. I used to think Fat Frank was poor, to say the least, in his early stage at Chelsea and even worse before that at West Ham. Lampard and Wilshere move over the ground at the same speed but if you have spotted signs of a prolific goal scorer in Wilshere then you are a better man than me.

So if he is not an attacking midfielder what is he? I don’t know is the answer to that question. Maybe someone will be able to tell me.

Cheers, NG.

It would be madness to allow Santi to leave this summer.
    His current contract is until June 2018 according to transfer market. Sell in 2015? Why?

“Of course we want to win the title next year…..”

I think Rambo has improved as far as his supposed ‘slowing the game down’ accusation is concerned. (If it was ever there in the first place). He is dovetailing beautifully with the holy trinity of Mesut, Santi and Alexis and no-one can say those three hang around. 🙂

Nice to see Jack getting some credit for running with the ball at his feet instead of the usual, ‘holding on to the ball too long until he gets fouled’ assessment.

Jack going to the Czech Republic this summer might keep him off the shisha but that country holds many other temptations, too. 🙂

…..

LB
    Of course if Jack gets an automatic spot in the team regardless of form, then that is a bad thing.
    Maybe him watching us do so well recently from the sidelines will inspire him to raise his performances to the level we all hope he can achieve.

Btw, I always assumed you wanted Rambo alongside the DM rather than Santi, with Santi in the No.10 role. I didn’t realise you envisaged Santi as the box-to-boxer (that’s if any of these labels make sense, that is). 🙂

It seemed to me that the Coq/Santi combination came as a surprise, even to Wenger.

Chas

I had the idea that where ever Cazorla played against Hull is where I thought that Wilshere was playing in the earlier part of the season, Ozil was injured so Cazorla was pushed out to the left. I thought back then there were better options. I don’t view Santi as a box to box player, Ramsey plays that roll well, with an obvious skew towards the attacking part.

The idea of Cazorla returning to Spain for similar reasons to Fabregas are way off the mark, those two things are not comparable. Cazrola has said he would like to return to Orviedo in Asturias but they have the equivalent spending power of Barnet, so that is not going to happen until the end of his contract with Arsenal, if then. (not suggesting you thought this by the way, just a comment as it came up above)

Coq came as a surprise to all of us it is probably true of Wenger as well.

I loved the game against Hull, the sense of quality that the team exuded was, well, as good as it has ever been since the good old days. Intoxicating, I think that was the word I was looking for, I felt very proud. There is no reason for any one of that team to leave during the summer and there is a strong possibility that we will strengthen so definitely not a good time to give up the season ticket. lol

Cheers, LB.

I thought we’d been playing this formation in the last few games with Santi deepest-lying of the front 5.

……………….Coq
    ………….Santi
    ……………………..Mesut
    …….Rambo..Ollie….Sanchez

Then again, with all the switching about, who’s to say. 🙂

Definitely not a good time to ditch the season ticket!

8. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, One game doesn’t make a season. Wilshere on as a sub in our last game, and it has to be said played quite well, But i feel we have to remember who we were playing, and not being nasty but they wasn’t the best side in the world.

I am sure many were like me when Jack went on that run, many would have loved the penetration and the will it took to keep on going, thats what supporters like to see in a footballer, but Just how many of you winced when the inevitable happened and Jack overran the ball, and ended up sprawling on the ground.

My first thought was oh no another six months out, luckily he played on. but lets face it Jack will definitely get injured again. Ramsey also had a twisting of the ankle moment, how many of you thought thats his lot only to see him come back on and carry on.

Wenger has said about Jack, he needs a season or two without injury, and i would imagine that goes for Aaron two, never going to happen as these two players will always miss big parts of any season,

I feel that should both of these players see out the rest of the season they should both be rested and then used as we return for pre league friendly s these games should be plenty to give both players enough games to be fit and ready for the new season.

Last seasons start was disastrous with new players performing in world cup games that should never be the case when world cup is not being played. Our start to the season where some were injured some getting rested after world cup was a recipe for disaster. No reason for that to be the case at the start of the next season.

We have had a season where players have been loaned out we have had players injured from the start and we have as the season progressed had others hardly being involved at all. Rosisky Arteta Flamoney and Gnarbry Walcott Wilshere Ramsey .Diaby Debuchey Chamberlain. Surprisingly we overcame our shortcomings and to an outsider, we looked to have a big squad.

Many of the injured are now ready to resume playing but in actual fact, the ones who have been playing regular have certainly managed all we could ask from them. The ones who are now ready will now be assessed and will no doubt be under scrutiny, some will go natural wastage, and others may get a reprieve for those that go thank you, and for those who stay you have things to prove.

Personally the ones who grafted this season and have got us where we are today deserve a good rest, but the others should now work throughout the coming break and make sure they are at full fitness and match sharp by the start of next season. Any player who has not played a full game since Christmas need extra training and should not have the break the others have earned. There should certainly be no question of their fitness at next seasons start.

I agree, steve.

10. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon Chas, Not used to people agreeing with me 🙂

Okay – I disagree – just to be disagreeable.

12. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon GN5 thanks mate.

13. Unfortunately there is the Copa America this summer. Alexis will certainly be involved as could Gabriel and Ospina.

If Columbia, Chile and Brazil are involved in the later stages they may not be available for the start of the new season as Wenger will want them to have at least a couple of weeks holiday.

Gabriel may not represent too much of a problem, nor will Ospina…if we sign Cech from the Chavs.

Hi NG,

So your epic has at last seen the light of day, despite that nasty Rasper, and it is an Interesting viewpoint, so it is no surprise it lured LB out. 🙂

Steve1,

You put forward very valid comments and I happen to agree with the wince making tackles made on both Jack and Aaron, and worried as to the consequences.

It is just a casual observation, and I know the opposition were tiring before he came on, but in Jack’s cameo I was surprised at his bursts of pace.

16. Hi Redders, this is not the “epic” that you tried to have burned, just something knocked up on a whim. A poor thing but mine own. 😀

We want the “epic”
    We want the “epic”

18. When were Refs instructed to not give penalties for hand ball in the area? See 2.27 in Chas’ clip above.

19. Oooohhh no you don’t.

20. I see Manure have already started the summer spending rush, they’ve signed Memphis Depay from PSV Eindhoven for a fee of £25-30m.

Jack is a good player, but not outstanding. Santi is outstanding.
    If it was a case that one of them is surplus to requirements then Wilshere would have to go. Santi has more than one season left under his belt and as Chas said we must keep him

Thanks for the post NG!

Should JW go? Of course he should. The man needs games and we should be proud to have a player in the England team.

Chambers should go, also any AFC players who meet the requirements. Speaking of which – how is JW available for the U-21’s? The man is 23 and a father to two.

but he is very short, nobody will notice

Thanks Norfolk.
    I wouldn’t send Jack to the U21’s, because he could have a big season ahead of him with the extra Full England games.
    As for Arsenal, I reckon we have a pretty long list of players who are nearer the exit door, and he still oozes talent. Proper DNA keeps him installed as one of my favourite Gunners, and he’s a great understudy to Santi in his current role.

Just been reading how accurate the exit polls were last time, so 10pm is telly on time.

Just went to vote. You get main election, parish council and local council.

On Local Council, there were only two Candidates. One Independent Party (wtf is that?) and the other me old mate Will for the Greens.

Voted Will for a laugh. He’s exactly what you’d expect from a Green and in the real world, should weald no power 🙂

micky – did you see what Bambi thinks of you and chas? Barks when he hears your name and runs away at a sound of Chas

Eddie

I love your vids and want many more. Raddy will also be pleased if that matters, however, I do want more proper tricks like this morning.

Do we get another tomorrow?

Raddy FYI

England’s national Under-21 football team, also known as England Under-21s or England U21(s), is considered to be the feeder team for the England national football team.

This team is for English players aged under 21 at the start of the calendar year in which a two-year European Under-21 Football Championship campaign begins, so some players can remain with the squad until the age of 23. As long as they are eligible, players can play for England at any level, making it possible to play for the U21s, senior side, and again for the U21s, as Jack Butland, Wilfried Zaha and Raheem Sterling have done recently. It is also possible to play for one country at youth level and another at senior level (providing the player is eligible).

Thanks GN5.

Can the Ox play?

More dog vids is the way to go though the cat vids this morning set me up nicely for the day

31. wally says:

Give him a rest.
    On the other hand can you imagine the dilemma when ox comes back?
    On second thot, let him go. If he gets injured so what, It simplifies things.

Raddy,

The Ox is 8 months younger than Jack so the answer is yes he is eligible to play for the under 21s.

One thing I wondered when watching Jack on Monday night was could this be a better position for him? The wide right one?

He is not as good as Ozil in No 10 role and I’ve never thought of him as a defensive midfielder or a box to boxer, the best he has played for the senior team was in a midfield with Cesc and Song, he always gained yards with his use of the ball rather than any blistering pace, he for me doesn’t hold the ball too long he plays that way on purpose drawing out the defender to make the gap for his pass to a runner. Doing that from a wide position could be devastating and cutting on to his left may give him the opportunity to start finding his shooting boots.

Thanks NG. Part of me thinks yes let him go to get some playing time and part of me thinks no.If he remains fit next season he will go with the senior team to the Euros so maybe not back to back summers.

I tend to buck the trend with Ramsey and Jack and see them as different players. I see Ramsey as being more a goal-scoring number 10 so is more in competition with Ozil. I see Jack as a deeper midfielder to play alongside a holding DM who can carry the ball out from deep and also have licence to aid in attack so is more in competition with Santi’s current position.

Jack doesn’t have Ramsey’s eye for goal at present but Ramsey doesn’t bring the ball out from deeper midfield as well as Jack or with as much pace. Both are excellent players so are adaptable to different positions but these are the roles I see them in in the future. Time is on both their sides so if they have to play slightly different positions at times so be it.

GIE makes an interesting point above. I still see Jack’s best position as I mentioned above but do see how it could work on the right. It could be a bit like Iniesta who really looks more a creative CM but plays more wide left (as a right footer) for Barca currently.

exit poll few minutes
    cat vid would be nice 🙂

As for letting him go to Euros, unfortunately I think the shop has sailed for yet another generation, but I personally wouldn’t have any under 21’s in the full England side, and let the best develop together as a unit, adding them to squads of the senior side but by no means being our great hope of success in the tournament, this all started with Owen as an 18 year old continued with Rooney, then Jack although never been fit for a major and now Barkley, Kane and Sterling. I always wonder why our hopes aren’t pinned on the senior players.

38. GiE, because they have always let us down?

Early start for Raddy.

Election: No alternatives – no surprises. Scotland will go down the swanee

Morning Raddy
    I’m really really really tired 😦
    If Cameron gets the maj. then I expect massive taxes on kilts, whisky and wife beaters within hours 🙂

Eddie
    There will be many in need of a vid
    Dog 3. The Revenge.

6:37 – all sensible taxes

no more videos, I am sick and tired of your abuse

UKIP got no votes! ha ha ha Eddie is safe

no, ukip got 2 seats, I mustn’t go to Clacton

No vid. No speak.

don’t be so childish!
    Say hello 🙂

No speak – No vid

Micky @ 6:37

😀

this is getting ridiculous! I uploaded 3 vids for you and blew the weekly badget! I cannot do any more until next Wednesday

Paddy Ashdown is immensely proud of the party that had results beyond humiliating. Never liked him

Oh thank you Eddie and morning to RA too.

I’m fading fast

Surely you didn’t stay up past the exit poll?
    It was scarily accurate.

scarily accurate?? ey?

Let’s put it this way Chas, the Gold Blend big bloke sized jar is empty

And once again, life on AA returns to normal 🙂

you should be a politician chas
    Never answer a question just post lots of photos completely unrelated to the question

Soz, didn’t see a question. Where was that?

More importantly for some, the results of the FA Cup Final ticket ballot are out today.
    Fingers crossed for those in it.

Chas
    What was the min away games attended last season to qualify for a Cup Final ticket?

It was only three,
    but it was
    ” over the last two consecutive seasons from August 26, 2012 – April 11, 2015.”
    i.e. 3 seasons including this one

I may not be thinking straight so

Final ticks to Arsenal 25k?
    Arsenal ST Holders 40k?
    Over half go to three away games a season?

Is that right

When I say, ‘only three’, I realise that’s a lot if you haven’t got them.
    It’s a big financial commitment buying a season ticket for the home games and also difficult to get on the ‘away points bus’ these days.

Not sure how many of that 25,000 allocation are taken up by those with 3 away points over the last three seasons.
    A complete guess might be 15,000.
    Which means there would be 10,000 tickets left for the remaining 25,000 season ticket holders.
    Hence the ballot.

p.s. I think we have 45,000 season ticket holders which makes the ballot 30,000 for 10,000 tickets.

“away points BUS”

or what you call “the away points first class carriage with complimentary savoury nibbles”

Someone on twitter posted that Exeter were receiving FA Cup tickets, this is how the club replied when contacted by lots of Gooners…..

Ok
    Am I right in thinking you get preferential treatment in the ballot if your application is groups of ST’s rather than individuals

Haha, yeah I suppose, though the complimentary nibbles are sweet biscuits only, we have to bring our own savoury………and choice of feminine ciders. 🙂

No, again.

One person can get a ticket applying on their own.
    Three applying together can get none.

As an illustration of the difficulty of getting on the ‘away points bus’, the Man Yoo away game sold out to 25+ away points.
    Ant and me only have just over 20.

Surely that should read: James Olley say Wenger says Walcott….

Ok, two more phone calls then a kip

Plenty of scope for the ranters today 🙂

Ballot results for FA Cup are out.
    Luckily, we got 2 out of 3, so Jon and Matt can go. 🙂

Hi chas, I guessed at the ‘assists’ for our last game …… Ramsey, Santi and Alexis – are you in agreement?

I’m wide awake now

Have we signed anyone?

Been on sky site

Tomorrow. Totnum at Stoke, and Utd at Palace. At least one ROLF pretty much guaranteed out of those two fixtures

And who the heck is Memphis Depay, other than a bloke with a cool first name?

Yep, I agree with those Hull assists, Rasp.

Weather turning warmer, time to get away …..

booked on the first plane tomorrow morning to Nice and then onto Italy for a quickie. 6 days of basking.

As a result there will be no PM from BR on Monday. Sorry.

You have to go all the way to Italy for a quickie!!

By Christ, Mrs R is high maintenance

Ashley Young who is a Gooner will surely be sold as Depay and Di Maria will start (perhaps). Maybe worth a punt

Micky. Thankfully not. I am the high maintenance partner

Micky
    We don’t want the spuds to let Soton nab that final Spursday night place, do we?

Just had a look and if chavs, us, and the two manc clubs finish in the top 4, then

“Liverpool, in fifth, would enter the UEFA Europa League group stage while Tottenham Hotspur, who are sixth, because of Chelsea’s Capital One Cup triumph, would qualify for the third qualifying round.
    If Arsenal were to win the FA Cup and remain in their present position, Spurs would qualify for the group stage of the UEFA Europa League, while Southampton, in seventh, would go into the competition at the third qualifying round.”

So even if the spuds finished 7th, us winning the FA Cup would dump them in the qualifying round of the Europa. Perhaps my favourite scenario, though to be sure of them playing on Thursdays they will have to finish 6th. 🙂

I wonder if there’s still some mileage in the dippers sneaking into 4th, though I can’t see them getting much at stamford bridge on Sunday.

This info about Europa qualifying is from here….

BR
    Ashley Young? What the feck have you been smoking? 🙂

1,2,3 – Togevva

chas. .-)

OK maybe Young isn’t top top qvalitee

Shitballs
    No Friday surfing. Pancake flat

Chas

Love your ideal scenario at 4:31 🙂

I said it was an early plane!

I thought you’d just use transcendental meditation to get there.

No BR PM on Monday!!!

Holy crap he’s lazy 🙂

Chas
    Sod it, no-one around, perhaps a good time to discuss what colour we’re wearing at Wembley

#wearyellowforwembley

he wore, he wore, he wore a yellow ribbon

Or is it a cannon 🙂

Saturday morning trivia – what impact could the Scottish lezza have on UK’s politics?

If I make a comment of any sort, then when I refresh Eddie’s homosexual gentleman won’t fill my screen

Eddie
    On the Scottish question, I reckon the most relieved man in the kingdom this morning is Ed Miliband, because had he done better and shared power with the SNP, first thing every morning at work would have begun by having to remove his strides, bend over, while the Sturgeon, sporting an enormous……

105. Ha! more like a pea-shooter.

why homosexual? Many, many young men these days have body wax done, don’t you micky? Don’t tell me you is all hairy…yuk 🙂

I am not going to bother with footy today, nothing exciting, is there?

Eddie

Totnum and Utd losing could be worth watching

micky!!!!! what kind of a perverted answer is that!! I want an honest opinion. I doubt very much that she will have impact here, but who knows? Perhaps Cameron will have to take it up his from time to time?

will they lose? Both Crystal Palace and Stoke are comfortably mid table, nothing to play for

Spuds are mid table 🙂

Seriously, relaxed teams with no pressure, hand brake off and all that

This article has prompted a bit of discussion on twitter.

One of the replies was this…..

Southampton and the spuds really don’t want to be in the Europa next season, do they? 🙂

Correction
    It looks like that Transfer Market date when Santi’s contract expires I quoted the other day is incorrect.
    Looks like his current contract expires 2016, not 2018.

115. Ooooops sorry chas, I’ll sort it out …….

116. I’ll also sort NG’s academy post for tomorrow.

Does anyone want to step into BR’s shoes and write the pre-match for Monday? Let me know if you fancy it.

Oh. wow, what a great picture of the North Bank

Red devils dressed in white like some angels. WTF 🙂

119. arnie says:

apols, Norfolk, Rasp, Raddy, Chas, Micky and everyone, knot ear. 😦 but two pieces of good news. 🙂

1. St Totts Day. ha ha ha ha. lovely banner Rasp. :lol@

2. Back to pavilion Monday in time for the match. 🙂

120. Advance apologies to you all, I’ll not be around to respond to comments tomorrow, or for the next two weeks. Early departure in the morning, dinner in Cyprus in the evening. Hope to find a bar showing Monday night’s game.

Poor old Spuds beaten again. Shame 😀

121. Have a great holiday Mr and Mrs Norfolk, see you when you get back.

122. Arnie!!!!!!! How the devil are you?

123. arnie says:

We are fine, Peaches, just looking forward to return to Botland! 🙂 How are you? any plans for the final? 🙂

Morning all, right can QPR keep their PL survival hopes alive at Etihad today? And then help us to get 2nd? No probably not we will have to do it the hard way.

Chavs v Dippers will be interesting, we can see whether Maureen will show us how entertaining his side is, they’ve won the league so surely they won’t park the bus today?

Citeh 4 QPR 1
    chavs 3 dippers 0

#wearyellowforwembley

Now that’s the NorthBank I remember. Although I very rarely went that side, in fact only time I remember using turnstiles there was when we had season ticket in the new North Bank and we say about twenty rows back and to the left of the goal. (As you looked at the pitch). So we always got to see Big Daves warm up with Bob.

Anyone ever remember taking a camera to home games? We only took cameras away to get a pic in the different stadium. Most pics I’ve taken at Emirates was on FACupFinal day last year.

We only took cameras abroad 🙂

Chavs 1 – Pool 2
    QPR 1 – Shitty 4

That Johnny O’Neill is one funny fecker 🙂

“Arsene Wenger gave me an unbeaten season and Thierry Henry.

I’d still slap the shit out of a baby koala for him”

For the bluebell fetishist…..not sure I know how to spot the immigrant bluebells so hopefully these are the right ones.

Close up just in case

George and bluebells 🙂 aaaahhh what a lovely photo

Natives have flowers on the same side of the stem and that’s why they droop. The foreign flowers grow all around the stem and are upright. Simples

Thank you for the explanation, think I saw some immigrants on way back peeping out from under someone’s garden hedge.

GiE – I had to check the yellow ribbon on your gravator, just to make sure it wasn’t UKIP 🙂 keep your hair on, I know you are OTT against racism

Rumanians, they are well known for peeping

I will have to write to Nicola Sturgeon. There she is again – nice white blouse, short black skirt, new hair cut and those fooking things on her shoulders – what are they?? little wings, or pockets?? Awful

got it – she has huge head on narrow shoulders.

Eddie – you are just jealous. You wish you were in charge of a country with all those men you can whip to your heart’s content 🙂

see you later

If I was writing to Mrs Sturgeon it wouldn’t be about her fashion sense, it would be about her being a little less angry.

We have a New Post ………………….

142. The Cockie Monster says:

Am I the only one who has noticed what a great opportunity we now have to resolve some recent holes in our life ?……………Milliband, Clegg, Farage, Clarkson,Hammond and May……all out of jobs !…………………..Clarkson to be UKIP Leader, Hammond Labour Leader and May Lib Dem leader !…..in 5 years time they can make a coalition government up and go up to Scotland and sort out the massive hole in their economy !….Yes !….Clarkson can park his Chav bus in Sturgeon`s fanny !.
    Then we can have Milliband, Clegg and Farage as Top Gear presenters !…….Milliband could be the new Hammond and do all the dangerous stuff, that would be just desert`s for stabbing his Arsenal supporting brother in the back !…..had David Milliband been the leader they would have gained at least 100 million Nigerian votes !.
    Clegg could be the new May ….although driving with the loss of so many seats could be quite uncomfortable !.
    Farage could be the New Clarkson, he could change …” A celebrity in a reasonable priced car “…to…..”An immigrant in a reasonably priced electric chair !”………they could do the usual car run where they have a race to Poland`s most dense populated area………Boston in Lincolnshire !…………a drive up the motorway with Milliband in the far left lane, Clegg in the center lane and Farage in the far right lane !. hahaha