Arsenal’s best keeper for next season is ……….

Apparently David Ospina has the highest win ratio (92%) in Premier league history after 11 wins from 12 games played. Obviously this is a meaningless statistic since when he came into the side other factors will have influenced our current run of 8 games unbeaten in the EPL – not least the emergence of Le Coq as the midfield enforcer we always wanted.

But I have to say that I am mightily impressed with Ooooospinnnaaaaa (that makes me laugh every time I hear the crowd sing it 😀 ). For a guy who is 5-6 inches shorter than the likes of Courtois and De Gea, he certainly makes the most of his attributes. As our resident GK expert GiE has observed, it is Ospina’s calmness and the timing of when to come out for the ball that make him a better keeper than Szczesny at this particular time.

I have heard us being seriously linked to Petr Cech recently as he has been consigned to the bench by the emergence of Courtois. Now Cech is a good keeper and a very decent man – but is he a better keeper than Ospina? Moreover, we are second in the table to Chelsea, why would we want to enlist their second choice keeper if we aspire to be better than them? It makes no sense.

What also makes no sense to me is why we didn’t go for Lloris a couple of years ago. I can only assume Arsene had hoped that Szczesny would iron out some of the rough edges to his game.

So the question I ask is, who would you like to see between the posts for Arsenal next season?

Rasp

151 Responses to Arsenal’s best keeper for next season is ……….

Well that’s nice, Rasper – you ask for a Post – I did one and you put your own up! 🙂

Could you delete mine on the bottom of LB’s Post — as it looks a bit silly.

Ta. 🙂

Sorry Redders – I did apologise at the tail end of yesterday’s post …. I had already published by the time I read your comment. 🙂

No probs, Rasper.

4. ‘morning all, If we stick with the ‘keepers we have at present, Ospina must be our number one.

Cech is, has been, a great ‘keeper, we don’t need him as number one and I can’t see him wanting to sit on the bench so I don’t think he would sign for us.

If we do sign a new ‘keeper then Szczesny would probably leave.

Forgot to say that was an interesting Post, Rasper, and if I may I will reply by using my earlier effort as a comment – that’s all it was to be honest. 🙂

At just on 6 feet tall (taller than you thought?) the Colombian goalkeeper has managed to replace former Arsenal N0.1 Keeper
    Szczesny and had a startlingly good introduction to a brilliant winning sequence for the Gunners.

Poor old Chezzer was in deep doo do after an abysmal defeat at Southampton where although the whole team played absolute rubbish, he was unveiled as the scapegoat after being also a naughty boy by smoking in the changing room.

It was Chezzer’s bad luck, or was it Ospina’s beneficial influence on the team, that eventually saw him lose his No.1 tag, and he now looks to be on his way out of the club.

Ospina has clearly benefitted from Arsenal pulling their socks up and winning 11 of their 12 Premier League games since, and with 8 on the bounce, including six clean sheets.

That is great for the team and the fans, but it also means Ospina has a win percentage of 92 per cent. In effect that means no other player in the history of the Premier League, in any position and who has played in 10 games or more has a higher win percentage.

Does that make Ospina the greatest goalkeeper Arsenal have ever had? Me thinks not.

He has performed very well and cannot really be faulted, but a keeper needs to make those watching feel confident that he will always be difficult and nigh on impossible to beat, such as De Gea and Curtois in the modern era, or Schmeikel or David Seaman in a pre-gone day.

For me, I think Arsenal are still looking for a top, top keeper, as Arsene would put it.

The result of your poll will be interesting, Rasper. 🙂

Incidentally, Rasp, you really are a fascinating character, along the lines of the Chairman of the No-Brain Society, aka Enn Gee, and the retired camel bothering, horse tickling Wormer-in-Chief, GoonerB, learning that you make a living in Hertfordshire eating muddy carp is well up there with those weirdos gentlemen! 😀

Thanks Redders, that’s a much more detailed appraisal than my meagre effort – had I seen it before I published I would have binned mine and used yours.

My inclination is to stick with Ospina, in the same way as I’d put my faith in Le Coq. They’re already wearing the shirt so let’s back them.

Ego has been Sz’s problem all along and so I can’t see him sticking around as second choice.

The tiny totts played Vorm right up to the final of the CC1 cup and then bottled it and put Lloris in for the final (and then lost any way 😆 ). I can’t see Arsene doing that to Szczesny if we make the FA cup final.

8. Hah! That’s it, harness the horses to the High Dudgeon, I’m off in it.

No brain society indeed, it’s no brainER. Grmmph! 😀

Did GiE really say that Ospina was a better keeper than Szcz? Well I never!

I don’t like Ospina’s punches, I feel there are times he could grab the ball instead. Pepe Reina used to do that a lot, brilliant goalie but guilty of some howlers.

I LOVE HUGO LLORIS who I think is by far the best goalie in EPL. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM at the Ems, such a classy man, no competition. and French ooo la la 🙂

I thought that Czech was just a April Fools joke?

Hi Eddie, I mustn’t put words into GiE’s mouth, he said that Ospina’s calmness and his decision making as to when to come for the ball was good – I added my opinion that these attributes made him a better keeper than Sz at this time 🙂

Nice idea for a post Rasp

It makes such a pleasant change to be able to talk about Arsenal goalkeepers from the positive perspective of having a healthy choice.

The dark ages of Almuinia and the early days of Fabianski still haunt me. I shudder when I think of the amount of internal bickering amongst Arsenal supporters those two caused.

Nowadays, I find myself happily persuaded by GIE on his specialist subject who, if I have it right, still has long term faith in Szczesny but feels that Ospina is the right man for the job at present.

Hi LB, I share your pain with the memory of Almunia.

I was saddened to hear that in the process of taking a routine medical to join Cagliari after 2 years at Watford, a potentially life threatening heart condition was diagnosed and he had to give up playing altogether. A thoroughly decent man but too gentle to make a great keeper.

Thanks Rasp (and Redders)

I like Ospina. He has a composure and decisiveness that has given extra confidence to our back line.

Two cases in point from the weekend: the speed with which he came out to charge down the Burnley attacker early in the first half; and the effectiveness of his punching from crosses (sorry Eddie 🙂 ), when an attempt to catch might have led to a fumble, with the ball bouncing dangerously around the six yard box.

My one reservation is that he is only 6ft and there are bound to be times when that will disadvantage him.

I’m afraid Szcz has gone, as far as I am concerned and I hope to see him sold in Summer. He just doesn’t seem to have matured – I mean, smoking in the showers after two appalling howlers that cost us the game against Saints? Come on!

So for next year we either put our faith in Ospina (who has done little wrong so far) and have a decent back-up. Or we go for a “worldie”. If we really want to be champions of England and Europe then it probably ought to be the latter. No idea who the worldie should be through…

Hi Rocky, I agree. Being a keeper is largely about judgement and decision making so having a fag in the shower when it would obviously be extinguished was a third howler that day 🙂

There is a rumour that Lloris has a buyout clause – possibly linked to CL football or simply a minimum value, would you consider him world class?

Top keepers stop teams dropping points. Courtois pulled off a worldie just before the chavs got the winner on Sunday, he could be the difference between them winning the title and us catching them.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Coming to this page soon –

Saint Totteringham’s Day.

A 2003 online survey found that Arsenal supporters most dislike Tottenham Hotspur, followed by Manchester United and Chelsea, although both Chelsea and Spurs fans see Arsenal as their main rival.

Saint Totteringham’s Day is a concept created in 2002 and first published on arseweb.com. It is held on the day when Arsenal have gathered enough points to be mathematically assured to finish ahead of Tottenham in the league table. In 2007 the concept was first mentioned (mistakenly as St. Totteridge) in a 2008 Arsenal-Aston Villa official match programme although there are suggestions that it has existed since 2005. St. Totteringham’s day 2010 was the first time the celebration was acknowledged by mainstream media, with mentions from the BBC,The Sun, Daily Mail and The Guardian newspapers

16. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, Nice one Rasp, I voted an other I would like a young tall safe handling organiser of his box. a keeper who makes the right decisions. I would like a keeper with sticky hands a big boot on both legs a guy who just wants to keep clean sheets

I would like a keeper who plucks balls out of the air, one who only punches as a last resort someone who has fast reflexes and good eyes a clear head who works out percentages, one who doesn’t smoke and doesn’t have special shampoo just someone that will stay forever and is a quiet man.

A man who was born a gooner will die a goober and a guy who stops everything think that does it,

Rasp, I would not look any further than David Ospina, he should remain as our No.1 we should sell Szczesny and buy a keeper who will serve as our No.2 but who also has the capability of becoming our future No.1.

In his last 13 games including 2 games for Columbia Ospina’s record is an amazing W12, L1, GA8, that’s a .929 win % with only .62 goals against per game – it cannot get very much better than that.

Not managed to get on at the weekend so a big thanks to Raddy and LB for pre and post matches respectively. I was particularly interested in LB’s querying of Rambo playing the attacking right sided role and that it threw up a difference of opinion in bloggers as to whether it works or not.

I have documented the same opinion about this for a while but ought to create a post from it (as I have been promising Don Raspiano for ages). I would have been fascinated about RA’s take on players and best positions e.t.c but maybe that is another discussion at another time (on another post, did I mention Rasp is chasing me for one).

Thanks for today’s teaser Rasp. I am actually very calm about our keeper situation and think we have a far better situation than many of us envisage. It is easy to cast the eyes of envy to the greener grass on the other side, where the luckier camels graze.

If GIE does feel there is more to come from Chezzer then I will go with that firstly due to his knowledge of the position but also because I too believe it. Chezzer has made mistakes no doubt but I also feel has been slightly scape-goated and has been unfortunate to be in goal when the defence and midfield in front of him have decided to put there feet up and relax with a large Margarita in one hand and some of Jamaica’s finest in the other.

He still has eons of time and I would want to see what happens before pulling the plug. I like Ospina also and feel we have a good situation with these 2 who have slightly different strengths and weaknesses to each other.

Having said that thereis a very real possibility of a Chezzer departure, as there is with Walcott. 2 home grown players….Do any of our more stats orientated regulars know where it leaves us on the home grown quota front if Walcott and Chezzer were removed from our squad?

Steve
    That would be David “Safe Hands” Seaman then 🙂

However Steve, I disagree about the “only punching as a last resort” thing.

Modern footballs move so much in the air that I think it is often safer to punch than try to catch, provided you get plenty of power on the punch.

There’s also the added benefit that if you miss the ball you have the chance of taking the opposing centre forward’s head off 😀

21. “There’s also the added benefit that if you miss the ball you have the chance of taking the opposing centre forward’s head off “.

That settles it for me, go for a puncher rather than a catcher everytime. It’s a no-brainer RA! 😀

22. Bayonne Jean says:

Has anyone been following how the former Flappy has been doing in a full season as a #1 ? What’s been the Swans’ supporters reaction to him?

Would it be heretical to suggest a return to the HoF as #1 ? Or 1A if TPIG goes?

23. Aaron says:

Szcz by miles!
    Ospina has benefitted from a solid back four and the emergence of Le Coc and the offensive characters tracking back a playing D
    Ospina has done a solid and dependable job, that it, nothing more.
    his clearances are shameful, his goal kick and kicks barely make it to midfield, and he punches when he should just get the ball. Szcz was one of the best keepers in the league last year bar none. he is young and developing, so he had a bad game at Southampton, but I ask where was the D that game too! thinking about balance, notice that Gibbs, Theo and Jack wont get a wiff of starting as the way the team is playing is balanced!

Blimey, I almost got knocked down by someone riding his high dudgeon, and it turned out to be the No-Brainer Society man who has now commandeered ‘high dudgeon’ – the High Dudgeon and No-Brainer Society — which really made get on my high horse and set off in search of the high dudgeon trampler.

What a lovely word ‘dudgeon’ — where did it come from — misspelling of ‘dungeon’? – but that would be low dungeon or in the Bowels Dungeon 🙂

Enn Gee will know as it is another no-brainer. 🙂

Hi Rocket,

A Post, please, you slacker!! 🙂

Rasper,

Re your earlier fishy discussions, maybe you have an upper class palette, and the common carp taste ‘muddy’ because they are bottom feeders.

I would not want to eat anything that feeds off bottoms – thanx very much – but how about a mirror carp? They should taste alright because they ponce about posing in front of mirrors all day when not reading AA. 🙂

Hi Redders, I only deal in the top echelons of carp. A perfect Japanese doitsu showa sanke for me, none of your lowly ‘common carp’ varieties 🙂

28. Rasp, do you have Tartare sauce with your poncy carp or does it have to be a japanese delicacy? Would it go with salt and vinegar?

Steady on Aaron … “his clearances are shameful” …. “his goal kick and kicks barely make it to midfield”. Fair enough I get it you are a Szczesny fan but Ospina has done a fine job with little fuss.

Szczesny does tend to lose concentration when he is not involved in the game and also will sometimes try to ‘play football’ instead of clearing the ball. I like Szczesny but I cannot think many Arsenal supporters would want him in place of Ospina at the moment and that is the resounding result shown in the poll above – 63% for Ospina, less than 5% want Szczesny back.

He’s young, hopefully he will react the right way to being benched, get his head down, work on his game and come back stronger.

NG, the carp I’m talking about are given food that works out twice as expensive as fillet steak pound for pound. You may as well chew on £50 notes as eat one of those.

31. I’ll stick to cod and chips then. 😀

Ah NG, but are you sure its cod you are being served? A recent survey showed that ‘cod’ is being used as a generic name for fish and often you get a different species 🙂

Rasper,

I have a friend in Cornwall who has a massive pond(s) stocked with Koi carp – I probably have the names wrong but he used to regale me with stories of doitsu, Bekko, gin rin, chagoi, Showa, sanke, tancho — I think. 🙂

He would never tell me what he paid for individual specimens, but the bigger they are the more they cost, as you obviously know. And his wife used to complain that he would sometimes pay £600 – £1,000, and upwards.
    Even the ‘tiddlers’ would cost £30 or so, but he used to sell their ‘babies’ for £15 depending on the species. Madness!! 🙂

I had not seen him for some years and popped down to visit last summer as he has been in poor health.
    The ponds and all the equipment had not been looked after as well as usual, and as the little blighters are very fussy about water conditions some had kicked the bucket.
    I have not liked to ask how things are now, as his health is still not good. Pity.

A prize winning carp can change hands for over £20,000 Redders. A fish of a similar size (let’s say 60cm) that does not have perfect classical markings could sell for a fraction of the price = £200

Rasp is correct NG – a number of restaurants and fish and chip shops have apparently been serving up tilapia and pollocks instead of cod. No — that is pollocks! 🙂

Unfortunately a major fishing ground called the Grand Banks off Newfoundland were pretty much wiped out by over fishing – hence the price of cod, mainly fished off Iceland, has gone through the roof, while the fish has gone into the belly.

It clearly is a specialist market, Rasp, and all wasted if the conditions they are kept in is not always in tip top shape.

Personally, altho the Koi fish themselves are wonderful to look at (I used to keep a few small ones for a time – the cheap, slow growing ones) to the connoisseur they have to be shown in a pretty arid pond, to my eye, so the fish are ‘proper;y’ displayed, instead of tbeing kept in a ‘natural’ aquatic pond with lilies and other plants.

Your work is fascinating, and the amount of time and effort you have to put in is on a par with keeping the recidivists of AA in hand. 🙂

Cheers, Rasp.
    My inclination would be like yours, stick with what we’ve got and back those currently wearing the shirt. Why fix it if it ain’t broke?

Live u21 action tonight for those not tempted by the dippers at home to the appalling barcodes. Then again, 7pm kick off for the u21s means you can only miss half hour of the prem game if you’re canny.

The Japanese way is to have a clear water pond with a mineral mud base with some moving water (usually a waterfall or rill) but very few or no plants in the water itself. There is a significance and ritual to almost every rock, plant and boulder placed around the pond and the planting in the margins can be breath-taking as can the carved granite Pagodas and lanterns usually found amongst the planting. An authentic Japanese garden with tea room is about as good as it can get for tranquillity and beauty. The fish bring a splash of vibrant colour and silent placid movement to the stillness of the surroundings.

NG,

Have you tried smoked haddock and chips?

I used to compare notes with the late DanDan on where the best fish and chips were to be had.
    I am not sure smoked haddock is that common in British fish and chip shops, but I would highly recommend it grilled – and with a fried egg or two on top – one of the best dishes to go with fat chips anywhere – and it is a British delicacy. 🙂

Summed up perfectly in few words chas … “Why fix it if it ain’t broke” … exactly 🙂

Btw, I looked up the goalie heights as I didn’t think De Gea was that much bigger than Oooooosssssspppiiiinnnnaaaa.

Ospina 1.83m 6′ 0″
    Lloris 1.88m 6′ 2″
    De Gea 1.91m 6′ 3″
    Cech 1.96m 6′ 5″
    Courtois 1.99m 6′ 6½”
    Red Arse 2.03 6′ 8″

My vote goes to RA.
    Just imagine trying to chip him. 🙂

You are, of course, absolutely right Rasp – that is the ‘proper’ way to display the fish, and perhaps I should have made it clear, I was talking about your average gardener – the amount of time required to maintain the pristine conditions is enormous.

I have visited Japan on a number of occasions and I love their culture and their exquisite sense of Zen gardens for reflection and solitude.

And then there is their frantic and lengthy business meetings which usually end up in some high class restaurant with bucket loads of ‘toasts’. Do you cater for that too? 😀

Good research chas. Is there a shorter GK than Ospina in the EPL I wonder?

It all just goes to show that technique and ability is more important than just pure size. Having said that, if you put Ospina’s head on top of Szczesny’s body, we’d have the worldie keeper that keeps getting mentioned 😆

Chas,

I know this sounds silly but I have always been a little diffident about my height since I was a kid. 🙂

When asked – usually it’s ‘Ooh, you are tall [am I?] how tall are you?”
    My answer varies between 6’5″ and my real height of 6’7″ depending on the company as I crouch down, especially where petite and attractive women have caught my eye. [My brother is 6’8″] lanky bar steward. 🙂

It has been more so in recent years when my weight has yo-yoed around between 18 and 20 stone – but at least no one has yet said “Ohh, you are very tall — and a very fat bastard.” 🙂

Look at the people you know who are over 6’4″ and you get burkes like Crouch slouching around and doing stupid robotic dances just trying to be one of the crowd – or there is a guy [don’t know his name] who co-comperes a tea-time show called pillocks or pointless, and he is about 6’7″ and he does a lot of — just sitting down and looking geeks! 🙂

Few of us tall gits are really comfortable – and being told the astonishing news ‘Ooh, you are tall’ does get to be a little monotonous.

See ya, guys — good days chat. 🙂

Actually if we really wanted to quantify GK’s physical attributes, we should add reach to height to get a total figure when fully extended – if you know what I mean 😕

RA

No offence intended, of course. I always liked the BFG’s reaction to a heightist question when Arsenal were doing a twitter takeover.

Q: Hey Per, how’s the weather up there?
    A: It smells of little people! That is my usual response to that question!

Rasp
    Those really tall goalies must struggle to get down to low shots quickly, so maybe we need a flexibility, crouchability quotient as well.

True chas, and a coefficient of the leapability also.

A hoofiness accuracy rating for clearances.

Its true that no-one can throw themselves to the ground. The quickest way to get to the ground quickly is to relax and just drop. But if the keeper is leaping to the side, he may be able to get to ground more quickly.

I was surprised that Joe Hart conceded through his legs yesterday as the only way Mata could have scored from that angle was by putting the ball between his legs.

So we need to judge, hoofiness, leapiness and uber large cojones as necessary for a top GK 🙂

…. and strong wrists ….

Rasp. Fine idea and not as you suggested a throwaway!

If Cech is available and will come I would sign him immediately. That said I still have high hopes for TPIG and am satisfied with Ospina.

I think Aaron makes a good point about a settled defence in front of him.

Hi Raddy, I agree about the settled defence – but isn’t part of the reason the defence is settled (not in terms of personnel but in mindset) that Ospina gives them confidence? Surely they all feed off one another.

Is it a strange coincidence that the two biggest jokers in the pack in the shape of Pod and Sz no longer feature in the first 11 I wonder?

Martin Keown’s son, Niall has scored for Reading u21s against us.
    He’s dead to me. 🙂

57. fatgingergooner says:

Cech would be first choice in all but 3 or 4 teams in Europe, and we aren’t one of them.

I like Ospina and have always liked Szscesny, but i would be delighted if we got rid of one of them and brought in Cech.

Cech is a year younger than Lehmann was when we signed him, and he’s 2 years younger than Van Der Saar was when United bought him.

It may be a tough signing to pull off and Wenger may rate Martinez highly enough to give him Szsesny’s spot if he leaves, but there is no doubt in my mind that Cech would improve our team.

Evening all.

Many thought Mignolet was a fine keeper at Sunderland but he has been found out in the spotlight of bigger teams.

My vote went to Szcesny, the reason being he is still learning so if he has wrestled the shirt back from Ospina he will be a better keeper in Arsene’s and StevieB’s eyes.

As Rasp says I think Ospina has been a lot calmer than Szcesny but that comes from his experience, Wojciech is 24, Seaman didn’t arrive at Arsenal til around mid to late twenties, Lehmann similar (if not older).

They had time to make their mistakes and learn their lessons elsewhere, Szczesny is learning them in the spotlight of fans, as De Gea did last season and Courtois is this season. Can he use the mistakes to learn from and improve? If Wilson was coach I’d say definitely, I do worry that our keeping coaching isn’t the best, the best keeping coaches were the best keepers, like Wilson.

But that’s not say I would be unhappy to see Ospina continue, but if Szczesny could get rid of his biggest weakness* he is still going to be a great keeper.

*For a keeper he likes to be a bit too busy.

Following your reminder, Chas, I have been watching the U21s too.

Quite impressed with Jack W, and even more so with Diaby. He looks physically fine (He says in amazement) 🙂

As Chas says, we are losing 0:1 but in fairness Reading are playing well and have a youngster called Kelly who has been the pick of the bunch.

Let’s hope for an improved second half.

Rasp – see, I told you GiE would chose Szcz even over de Gea!

chas darling – why did you post a photo of Victoria plums?

I agree with all that Exile, but football can be cruel, and Chezzer is paying for being a prat off the field as well as only being so-so on the field this season.

He should get back in the team again, but if Cech is allowed to join Arsenal by Mourinho – I think Chezzer will go.
    [I had read that Cech’s preference is to play for a European club. Who knows?]

Fishing for compliments over the size of my plums?

Blue balls, Eddie.

Who are you suggesting would know, Chas? 🙂

I know nothing about goalkeeping because I was too scared to play there and it was not the best position in the middle of an English winter.

But …. I do know that a GK sets the tone for the defence and as Rasp rightly says, perhaps having confidence in the GK creates confidence in the back 4.

Plum size means nothing .

Having a large inkwell doesn’t mean the pen writes better 🙂

Anyone who’s seen a photo of them, maybe?

Rasp spoilt the joke by putting the wrist comment in between his uber large cojones comment and the Victorias. 🙂

Aye, a couple of avocados and a button mushroom never make a satisfying meal.

More plums, Chas?

chas – are you saying that your ‘plums’ are purple and hairless? No, don’t answer this, too much information 🙂

pool winning, do we care?

Is that Steve P at 8.50? Nice Galoshes

Raddy – Steve P has a lovely daughter and lots of grandchildren. I doubt (and sincerely hope not) he wears a bikini outdoors

73. Gosh, a Rasp post and I’ve not had a chance to comment!!

I always feel you should have a number 1 and know that he’s the one. Szczesny let us and his team-mates down badly, he’d been a bit quirky for a few months (not unusual in a keeper) but I’m not sure Wenger expected Oooooooospina to do such a good job and basically make himself undroppable.

I voted for Szczesny, I don’t think Jose would let Cech come to us and we know how Wenger loves to unearth a gem 😃😃😃

74. Gonna need more posts for this week please xx

75. fatgingergooner says:

Do we really need 50 different pundits analysing an hour before and an hour after every game!

Getting sick of listening to Jamie ‘we know that’ Carragher rattling on about every throw-in, positional movement and fart of a 90 minute game. The analysis lasts longer than the matches ffs!

Rant over.

76. Aaron says:

Again, I have been watching all the games on the tele and Ospina’s kicks are horrendous, in the last game he kicked one sideways 20 yards with no real pressure on him, and another was straight up the middle, and short of the mid line, and if it was not for Le Coq we possibly could have been caught out.
    He has had the luxury of a healthy back 6 to stabilize in front. Been saying if forever, if a keeper has a solid back 4, with at least one member who has true pace, and they play together for a while, learn each others strengths and weaknesses, then the keeper just has to keep it simple, and most likely the team will be in every game. But, in the big games the keeper will have to make 1 or 2 big saves to keep us in it. Szcz does this admirably, Ospina does the first. Szcz is still super young and will continue to get better, do we really want to let him go and just have to get another Alumnia??? Me thinks not.
    just my one lousy cent.

I voted Sz. Given his age, could be a great.

One stinker of a game was all, and I don’t remember those goals being entirely his fault anyway.

Rasp

I know Squires chippy in Braunton well. Pass it once or twice a week. Surf buddy swears the little one in the street behind is actually better, but I wouldn’t never trust his judgement on grub

Oh dear. Wouldn’t never. Morning Chas 🙂

“Liverpool will speak with winger Raheem Sterling after footage emerged of him apparently taking nitrous oxide”

Nitrous Oxide?!!! I thought that’s what you put in jet powered cars

Aaron, @12:22

A lot of good common sense there and the kicking from hand is an issue for Ospina.

Good morning mess braves, Sickish and Chas,

Nitrous Oxide is also known as ‘laughing gas’ because it allegedly makes you feel happy.

I understand that it used to be a way for dentists in the ’50s making people unconscious before teeth extraction.

Happy? Good grief. 🙂

That was supposed to be French [mess = mes] 🙂

Sickish = Micky — I am sure it is not me – bloody software has got the hump! 🙂

I recall having nitrous oxide when going to the dentist. As the wonderful Bob Hope said “Thanks for the memory”

Chas, Any chance of some good looking crabs this morning?

Twitter is all agape about this Henry Winter, so I thought I’d post the link here in case someone hasn’t seen it. (sorry, it’s football-related 🙂 )

This sums up my feelings on the Coq situation.
    Winter’s clickbait has proved very effective, though.

Not really what I had in mind!

What is a ‘banging acca’?

Accumulator

Here’s one to show the missus, BR.

This is the Telegraph article Chas referred to.

Francis Coquelin gives Arsenal belated steel in midfield – but his emergence happened by accident not design

Let us sweep aside the garlands currently strewn at the feet of the saintly Arsene Wenger – he has been helped inordinately by an employee he had all but abandoned

Arsene Wenger deserves no credit for Arsenal’s best decision this season – recalling Francis Coquelin

Arsene Wenger’s disciples have restored their messiah to his pedestal, lauding Arsenal’s manager for an impressive eight successive wins when his season-changing decision, summoning Francis Coquelin from exile, was forced on him. Coquelin has become one of Arsenal’s most important players, the beast amidst the beauty, by accident.

At 1.52pm on December 12, Charlton Athletic announced the “BREAKING NEWS” on their twitter feed that Coquelin had suddenly been recalled by Wenger. It was quite a shock. A bit-part player at Arsenal since 2008, Coquelin moved between shirts, changing from 35 to 39 to 22 and 34, a mobile number, never belonging. The Frenchman seemed surplus to requirements by Wenger, who even extended his compatriot’s loan at The Valley on December 1 by another month.

Francis Coquelin is now one of the first names on the Arsenal team sheet

But just as the 23-year-old was preparing for another loan game against Blackpool in the Championship an SOS call came in from Wenger. A plethora of injuries to central midfielders prompted the Arsenal manager into his emergency action. Jack Wilshere’s ankle was battered by Manchester United’s Paddy McNair on November 22, Mikel Arteta damaged his calf against Borussia Dortmund on November 26 and then Aaron Ramsey pulled a hamstring against Galatasaray on December 9. Wenger was already missing Abou Diaby.

So in a move that has so unexpectedly given promise for the future, Arsenal went back to their roots, taking back a player who was plying his trade scarcely a mile from Woolwich. Coquelin hot-footed it across the Thames, coming on against Newcastle United 24 hours later. It was the January 18 victory at Manchester City that truly alerted everyone to his qualities. He made seven interceptions, won all three of his tackles, and dominated seven of his eight aerial duels, subduing David Silva in the process. He instructed more illustrious team-mates to keep their focus and not get carried away after Santi Cazorla’s opening goal.

For years Arsenal’s midfield has been too lightweight, with the likes of Mikel Arteta

After a decade of supporters pleading with Wenger to shield the defence more, Wenger finally found a successor to Gilberto Silva more through luck than design. Coquelin is no Invincible but he has become an Irreplaceable, not bad for a player who Wenger kept on the bench for eight games at the start of the season, using only once against Southampton in the Capital One Cup before despatching to Charlton.

Obsessed with pure football, Wenger preferred his deepest-lying midfielder to be a passer, a player like Arteta, sadly ageing and not tough enough anyway. Mathieu Flamini is too headstrong for the role. Wilshere is more creative, a passer who works better with a Coquelin-type. Ditto Ramsey.

So let us sweep aside the garlands currently strewn at the feet of the saintly Wenger. He has stumbled on the balanced midfield of Coquelin and Cazorla through unfortunate injury and happenstance (although Ramsey and Wilshere could also dovetail with Coquelin). Wenger has been helped inordinately – rescued is too strong a word, just – by an employee he had all but abandoned.

Mmmm — isn’t that just football?

That’s more like it. What an amazing creature (not P. Morgan)

Acca/Dacca 🙂

what they are inhaling over there at Anfield?
    Mind you, if laughing gas makes footballers score like sterling did last night, then maybe Ollie should have some

Eddie. Pull yourself together.

Last week it was Harry “The Saint” Kane. Now it is Sterling.

OG. 18 goals form 27 games
    Sterling: 11goals from 45

You are the scientist – which player has the better scoring record?

ladie’s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice edit 🙂

Eats Shoots and Leaves must be working

Ah ha. People.
    Henry Winter is right though 🙂

Chas
    Bet that crab at 8:06 is a WW1 German Crabtank

Raddy does not need naff things like that to smooth the way with his woman when he’s got his white robe, guitar and he can Norwegian Wood her.
    My god women are gullible 🙂

Norwegian Wood?
    Danish Wood, innit.

chas @7:39 – thanks for the link to a very good article from the Telegraph’s . Did you know-it-all boys know how Coquelin’s career paned out? I didn’t

oh Raddy, I am not talking about life time achievements of OG and Sterling, just last night’s goal.

Been missing some sitar, Micky? 🙂

chas. Knew it the moment I posted it. Shame on me.

Micky. If women were not gullible we would both be single men and may I tell you Norwegian Wood has never pulled me a woman – Ain’t no Sunshine is the one ….

what happened to Raddy’s comment about John Henry being ladies’ front bottom. I was going to point out Pool owners this lips

chas. When available it is Hendon wood

This one’s for GIE.

thin lips not this

Eddie. I binned it. But the front bottom was Henry Winter not John Henry though the epithet could apply to him as well.

yuk, I strongly dislike Susanna and Pierce, both plastic hot gas self promoting celebs. I was so pleased when she got a push from BBC

Haha, ‘when available’ 🙂

I’d better have another coffee 🙂

ladies’ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t see much to get upset about in Winter’s article – it is factually correct. He’s written glowing articles about Arsenal in the past, I certainly don’t think he has an anti-Arsenal bias.

oh will ya feck off darling! you are not checking the exam papers here you know. why is ladies’ front bottom with very thin lips incorrect?

Eddie
    Sorry, but questions could be asked about anyone who even knows who Susanna is 🙂

Rasp

Those who think Arsene didn’t fluke it with Coq, might think again when Jack returns. replaces him, and Coq ends up on the right wing 🙂

Madrid derby tonight, should be a cracker! I wish Simeone didn’t love Atletico and move over here, to North London. In 2 years

Must be getting old. I enjoyed the Ruts vid.

Micky. Thank goodness. I was thinking about googling who Susanna could be then thought “why bother”.

Rasp. Winter may not have an ant-AFC agenda but he certainly is anti-AW.

😆 Micky, you jest, but I was only saying this morning that my fear is that when others return, Le Coq may consigned to the bench as AW pursues his total footballing dream again 😕

micky – we had this discussion before. The ‘lovely’ Susanna Reid is a beautiful thicko who allegedly studied politics, philosophy and law but I suspect she shagged her way to the top. You don’t need to know about her.

Raddy, why does it have to be anti? What’s wrong with just telling something as you see it rather than being tarred with having some dark underlying agenda?

Haha, when I put that Winter article up, I thought to myself I’d know exactly who would think it was 100% accurate and who would find it a tad offensive (even if fairly accurate).

Maybe we ought to stop talking about football altogether on here as we know what each other is going to say. 🙂

Rasp
    So you think “garlands currently strewn at the feet of the saintly Wenger” is telling something as you see it rather than being a dig? 🙂

Rasp
    I jest not
    I’ve said on here before, it’s “pot luck” with Arsene and team selection. He’s fluked it on this occasion through fortunate injuries.
    Love the bloke, and I’m not angry and all sacky, just the way I see it. Always have.

then we might as well stop blogging altogether. We know more or less all about each other views here.

That petty drunk nb is in London now, invited me for a drink 🙂 I am tempted, but may take the pit bull with me

Chas
    Reckon wording like that is simply “journalism”

Similar analysis, slightly different sentiment.

Chas

You’ve got me in your “camp doom” haven’t you? 🙂

Agree about not talking football though 🙂

Micky
    Fair enough.
    I was just pointing out why some might think it was clickbait journalism.
    After all, Wenger has studiously avoided taking credit for the fortuitous return of Le Coq.

Right, off for a swim.

I think it is definitely clickbait journalism, even the broadsheets go down that route to an extent these days. Possibly Winter would have toned it down a bit if he hadn’t been under pressure from above to make a few ripples. We all know that bad news and negativity gets people reading/clicking/typing etc. = sells newspapers or gets hits to raise money through advertising.

Rasp. Agree with your 9.15.

Eddie. Wear the DM’s – that will put him off 😀

that’s a post for today – Coquelin emergence = genius of Wenger or Lady Luck helps Le Boos again. Vote.

Raddy 🙂

before you say it Rasp – I cannot write it, sorry! I am honestly snowed under these days.

Furious post/starter sent

Sooo, one AA’er gets the NB call-up for a drink, and it’s a woman.

My God he’s sleazy 🙂