Sunny Afternoon?

Saturday afternoon. Sunny day. Liverpool at home. An important game = Excited.

It seems an age since we played a meaningful game at home to a real rival and for the first time in a decade, Liverpool can be said to be quality opponents. Last season, L’pool surprised many with a startling run of form centred around the genius of the Biter, this season shows that Rodgers team management can propel them to the Top 4 but not the title.

And why not the title? Because they are bottlers and have been since we did them in May 1989.

Yes, they have won a few Cups thanks to the type of good luck which can only come from having sold one’s soul to the devil. Their Treble showed similar good fortune to those chaps who have won the Lotto twice (though I would swap the ’91 title for a European Cup!).

Unlike Mr Wenger, Rodgers has no scruples about forcing his players to remove themselves from the international scene. Amazingly the severely injured Sturridge and Sterling  are fit to play today. If I were Hodgson I would not pick these blokes for the next few games.

Stevie Me and Scramble are banned but other than them L’pool have their first choice 11. I am saddened that Gerrard will not play, he has completely lost his mojo and is a shadow of the player he could be in his pomp. His playing would have made our winning almost a certainty, instead the points are in the balance.

We are without Ox, Debuchy and probably Welbeck from our best 11. I think Ramsey has recovered from his hamstring knack.

The rest you know ….. we have won 14 out of 16, 9 of the last 10. Of our last 11 home games against top 5 opposition we have lost 7, drawn 3 and won just one (how crap is that 😢) We are scoring regularly. Le Giroud is on fire scoring both for club and country.

My Team:

Ospina

Bellerin    BFG      Koscielny       Monreal

Ramsey   Coquelin

Cazorla   Ozil      Sanchez

Giroud

As always midfield will be vitally important, I was going to write match winning but given our propensity to miss chance after chance I would say that clinical finishing is more important. Coquelin vs Lucas will be an interesting battle. As will be Bellerin and Monreal’s ability to control the mercurial Sterling. If the boy is available for €50m I would buy him – after all, it isn’t my money!

We are 6 points ahead of the Scouse. A win today would be a huge plus towards our quest for second place. For Liverpool a loss would herald a season of Spursday nights.

I am 53% confident.

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

140 Responses to Sunny Afternoon?

1. ‘morning all,

Only 53% confident BR? Oh ye of little faith. 😀

A sunny Saturday afternoon, a phrase to bring back memories, and for me the memory to top them all has to be standing behind the Liverpool goal as Big Raddy (the original) and Charlie George combined to score the winner in that epic Cup Final to complete the double in 1971.

It even beats the euphoria engendered by being at White Hart Lane on the previous Monday evening to witness an Arsenal win which gave us the League Title. Oh Happy days….

2. I’m going to disagree with you BR, I’d play Gabriel at centre-back instead of Merts as I think his mobility will be important against the trickery of Sterling, while Merts’ height may not be that critical.

Confidence Quotient? 74%

NG. It was always a big game when L’pool came to town and I am happy those days have returned. They are a fine club with a great tradition.

Thinking of Wembley – “L’pool have never lost when Rush scores the first goal” 1987

Remember their white suits at Wembley? 😀

NG. I was very tempted to start Gabriel because L’pool attack at pace but expect AW to go with his tried and tested CB pairing

5. Aaaah football 😃 A 12.45 ko makes the morning very difficult to manage but I’m on schedule atm.

I’m really looking forward to this game, I’m sure the crowd will be up for it and you’re right Raddy this feels like an exciting time to be playing Liverpool (and beating them). We do have something to play for, it’s not the title but if the chavs slip up at all we want to be well placed to creep closer to them.

Although we are the invisible team in the top four – both the Manchester teams could win he title apparently!!!!!!

Plenty of pockets as it’s still cold and blustery so room for everyone on board.

6. Carefull peaches, you know what pockets were used for on crowded terraces. 😀

7. BR, as a rule I’m against tinkering with the defensive line-up, Im of the opinion that you should stick with a tried and tested formation. However, in this instance I reckon it’s worth the risk as Gabriel could give us that extra dimension, pace.

Great PM Raddy, thanks.

I must confess I am nervous about this one. If we win, there is a comfort zone between us and the pack chasing top 4, if we lose we are right back in the scramble.

Both teams have players who are capable of destroying defences, so I reckon it is the team with the most solid defence who will win.

That makes it a no-brainer ™ that Paul Easter players in place of Merts to deal with the pacer of Sterling and Sturridge.

How many times have we said that it’s unfair for players to be ‘injured’ for internationals only to be fresh and fit for the first game after. It’s simple, any player who wishes to play for the national team should be compulsorily excluded from the following Prem game if they are withdrawn through injury.

53% 🙂 Nay, every time I went to AFC v Pool game we won, every single time. Me is 100% positive today.

I happen to like Stevie Me and wish him well, he was a fantastic skipper and the last of the rare loyal breed of player.

off to the game, laters

TEAM NEWS: Wenger makes three changes

Arsène Wenger has made three changes to his side for today’s game against Liverpool.

Per Mertesacker returns to captain the side at the expense of Gabriel, while Hector Bellerin replaces Calum Chambers at right back.

The only other change sees Mesut Ozil come into the attack for Danny Welbeck.

Wojciech Szczesny misses out due to a rib injury, with Matt Macey named on the bench in his place.

Arsenal team in full: Opsina, Bellerin, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud

Subs: Macey, Gibbs, Gabriel, Flamini, Walcott, Rosicky, Welbeck

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Looka like you got 11/11 Raddy well done.

You see folks “Raddy Knows”

“Raddy Knows” 😀 As if …….

I don’t even know my Arse from my elbow!

Really good to see Kolo playing. I hope the fans give him a great reception and that he replies in kind.

A little gift for Alexis would be a perfect thank you to the Arsenal who gave him so much.

14. Hello gooners……….Happy Paul Easter… haven’t read the blog yet Raddy but I’m sure it’s another cracker. I’m in the bar for the Liverpool game. Have been seriously missing in action… new woman, new model and painting. Will try to post more this week because in UK in less than two weeks and want to arrange meetsat the Arsenal tavern or wherever for the Semi final against Reading.

COYG’s… at the moment all over Liverpool.

What the hell is Mertesacker doing 15 yards inside their half, Coquelin has saved his bacon twice so far. He reminds me of the way Song played in his last season.

16. This could end up 0-0……….. but we need the 3 points. Very wasteful in front of goal. I’m behind the sofa ha ga a

This game is following a familiar pattern (Monaco at home?) – we have all the early possession and dominate the game, fail to take our chances and then encourage the oppo onto us whilst forgetting how to pass the ball 😦

Thanks raddy. Tried to leave a longer comment earlier but it didnt go through. Was going to say that against better teams if we play ollie we need pace either side or else risk getting pinned back with no threat behind. Only sanchez offers this so if they manage to keep him quiet or force him to play from deeper rather than closer to ollie we might have a problem. Hope not.

Yeeeees. Must leave slightly negative comments more often as we seem to score after i leave them. When do want the next goal chaps?

George enjoyed that by Hector!!

On 39 minutes then 🙂

22. Urzil…… who would have thought it

Hahhhaaaaa …. there’s nothing like a negative comment to spur the boys on 🙂

Too late GB Mesut has already provided. 😀

Expectantly early on the boys:

Gie. How about a 9 years of failure under arsene wenger comment on 65 🙂

What a strike!!!!!!!

Sorry i meant 44-45 🙂

Michael Owen gks fault??? That ball was past him before he even got his feet going.

30. What a brilliant move…. Sanchez.. yez yez

31. Now this is the problem…. can we keep a 3-0 lead for 45 minutes in the second half ha ha

32. It’s good to be back AA’rs… fecking internet connection at my place is driving me radio rental… but at the bar, no problem.

Well we started well, went poorly after that, then nowwe are on free running.

Now concentrate and play on counter, now it’s timefor Theo…:..maybe

Wenger Out !

35. arnie says:

🙂 🙂 🙂

Lots of nows in last comment. Combination of delirium and childcare 😀

37. arnie says:

Time for Theo? perhaps. who is Sterling BTW?

What a terrific half.

Started great. Kolo gave us his gift. Mignonette makes two great saves.

Pool come back and should score at least one.

Then we smoked them. All superb goals. Each one a cracker.

Come on Arsenal keep it going – just remember the game at Anfield last season.

Hello

I can’t remember ever seeing us score three super consecutive goals like today..Over to you Michael Owen.:)

I would bring on Gabriel to shore up the defence as goal difference may well have a baring at the end of the season.

Only half time but has brightened up my day.

Kelsey, baby,

Great to see you around. 🙂

Hello Kelsey

Nice to see you back.

Thanks for the great pre-match BR.

42. oh Kelsey………. nice to see you!

Rocky — OUT – OUT – OUT!!! 🙂

Kelsey. Great to see you. Our collective thoughts have been with you .

Great to see you on here kelsey. Hope you are well. I wouldnt go with extra defenders yet. We will end up sitting back too much. I am with gie. Counter-attack now would be best. Another pace player playing closer to ollie.

For 10 minutes there I thought Cazzor had had a secret transfer to ‘Pool – every time he got the ball he gave it away, or fell/pushed over and tally-ho the Scousers went on the attack.

Who cares – 3:0 at HT. 🙂

47. arnie says:

what a gret pleasure, Kelsey. 🙂

48. great even Arnie 🙂

49. Lovely stuff…we’ll hold on to this 3-0… possibly get a 4th

Owen and that clown commentating with him are wearing ‘Pool shirts.

— and they have disengaged brain too – obviously.

So Welbeck comes on and could that mean a swap of Stirling (London born) for Liverpool fan Walcott. ?

52. We’re seeing the end of this game quite easily…..

53. 13 minutes to go… here we go……… rectum sqeeks……

Is that you Kelsey? With a new avatar ?

55. 4-1 that will do…. will soon start asking people for when to meet up in London… possibly at the Tavern or the George or Baileys for the Semi against Reading. COYG’s

Lovely.

Silly to give a goal away but that was a lovely finish from OG. 4 superb goals.

Hope Ramsey is not knocked because we look very good with that starting 11.

Gabriel had a fine sub appearance

Lovely relaxing 45 minutes, didn’t feel uncomfortable at any time and a lovely strike by OG to finish.

Yes Rasp

Make that 4 exquisite goals in one game.

I still think Welbeck has a lot about him but isn’t clinical and is often a bit greedy,but I never thought (and neither did the surfer) that Giroud would improve so much.
    I like Bellerin who despite being booked kept his composure. Flamini will not be missed at the end of the season.

We may not win the league but we certainly have given ourselves a huge chance of a top 3 finish, and a proper Summer rest add a couple of class playes and we really could challenge.

Where that leaves Wilshere and Walcott, not so sure.

Effing typåical. We win 4-1 and all they talk about is Bellerin should have been sent off!!

60. That’s my Arsenal 😃😃😃

Fantastic, bloody fantastic. All smiles here at Finsbury Park station.

61. arnie says:

Raddy. NBCSN is good, not vry partisan.

oh dear, forgetting my manners. great stuff, Raddy. 🙂

rubbish rubbish Giro. only one goal. that too at the end? whoever offered him the Player of the Month for March? 😛

NB. great indeed. 😛

Do BT have a contract with Liverpool. It takes 2 teams to tango,

63. Good game…. showed the top four that we mean business. COYG’s

64. kelsey!!!!!!! Well done to you, lots of love xx

Apparently Can is “not that type of player” — dear, oh, dear – that old canard.

Rodgers said Liverpool were the better team in the first half. !!! Christ it could have been 5-0 to us.

67. Rodgers doesn’t know what he’s talking about then 😃😃😃

68. I’ve watched some lucky wins this season but that wasn’t lucky it was pure class.

That makes two of us, peaches 🙂

I shall pop back when I can.

Love you all xx

70. RA – he actually should have got a second yellow a few minutes earlier. Antony Taylor was trying hard to favour Luverpool

My only gripe is that we allowed L’pool too much possession after the break and stopped playing the wonderful football of the first half.

Great to see you back Kelsey, and you’ve brought us an excellent win too 🙂

73. Raddy – we took our foot of the gas at the start of the second half and ‘pool were understandably more snappy.

Have to say it never felt scary 😃😃😃

Interesting game overall.

We could (should?) have been 2 or 3 up in the first 15 minutes.

Then they had a couple of good chances where our defence was stretched in a way reminiscent of many of our bad performances (half the team upfield, the defence stretched and outnumbered).

I would say ‘Pool were on top for about 15 minutes and we could easily have gone behind.

But once the first goal went in we looked amazing and they couldn’t cope with us.

Second half, we played with a lot of discipline.

My MOTM – probably Le Coq, but good shouts for Bellerin, Ozil and Santi.

75. OMG Rocky, Le Coq is a monster, puts in some great tackles all over the pitch.

Oh dear i havent watched the post match stuff myself but it seems Anfield sports….sorry sorry, i mean bt sports are spouting their rubbish again.

Why does every pennalty have to be a yellow card in some peoples eyes. It is just another foul. You can get fouls that result in free kicks that are not worthy of yellows so why cant you get fouls inside the box that result in penalties that are not worthy if yellows?

77. No Arsenal bias there GoonerB 😃😃😃

78. Where’s LB, surely he wants to write about that game for tomorrow’s post???

Ozil was excellent today as was alexis but my admiration for le coq is growing. Not only is he a fighter but i love that he has pace to get across to danger quicker. He is also looking increasingly technically good in posession and passing.

Hi GoonerB,

BT have the very worst commentary team, and i agree with your earlier observation.

[You be careful who you are calling a can’t].

81. Welcome back Kelsey!

A 4 – 1 win against one of the “big teams”, some scintillating football, definitely a day to remember.

Sterling? No thanks!

Henderson as Stevie Me’s replacement? Yer ‘avin a larf!

Bellerin was very lucky not to get a second yellow card when giving the penalty away.

Check out the points per game against the big teams, even before today Pool’s were worse than ours, but it’s Arsenal who always get the stick for it.

82. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, Blinding Raddy 🙂
    I have to say i wasn’t expecting a game like that, Raddy got it spot on and i am not surprised, Surprised at the score i must say but certainly not the win.

Crisp passing and not giving the ball away was a very good start could quite easily been a couple up before we did eventually make the breakthrough. Many will now see why i moan about BFG, how he gets to start ahead of Easter i just don’t know, but i certainly wasn’t moaning when Easter came on and if i am honest BFG did al right although he did leave a bit of work behind him at times.

The goals came at nice times, saying that 3 goals in the first half is always good. Liverpool was made to look Average against the Arsenal display, came at us a bit in the second half but needed a gift to finally get a score.

Bellerin was my man of the match, but they all did well, that display made an old Gooner very happy.

Talking about old Gooner’s Nice to see Kelsey, lifted my spirits and yours as well mate take care me old mate 🙂

83. arnie says:

definite Pool clout in the pundit space. even Henry had to say he would have chosen Pool if it was not Arsenal before he could take his seat. Disgrace! 😦

Kelsey,

I hope your crystal balls are holding up – we need some pre-match, post-match and ‘wasn’t there’ match Reports from you and your danglers.

Get typing!! 😀

85. arnie says:

Bellerin MOTM for me. despite the penalty.

The technique of Belli Bellerin is typically Spanish.

I suspect Madrid will be calling for him – his pace, guts and skill is going to make him into a top, top defender – and Arsene must be wondering why he bought £16m Chambers (who I rate too) and not to mention Debooochy for £8m.

A bit profligate by Le Proff? 🙂

Bellerin, Coq and Santi all in with shouts, especially asBellerin had Sterling on his side of the pitch for most of the game.

Best goal was Alexis, just for the cleanliness of the strike, but all were good goals.

Nothing better than knowing when a goal bound effort is going in.

Felt Ospina should have saved the penalty he read the obvious look in the opposite corner that Henderson tried, but then almost got too excited that he’d already saved it.

And as for Hector and Cans second book able debate, for me there was a major difference, Bellerin was making an attempt to play the ball, Sterling kicked out of touch and went over his legs. Can just decided to take vengeance on Welbeck for the way the game was going, never had a hope in hell of getting the ball.

Hi arnie, 🙂

Henry was not to be seen or heard on my BT show – was he on pre – game – in which case I would have missed him?

Or were you mistaking Henry for ‘Arry Redknap, who apparently is a ‘Pool fan? 🙂

Easy mistake to make! 🙂

RA I think we all knew Hector was special, I think we all know that Chambers will be 3rd choice centre back going forward, and Debuchy if he’d stayed fit would still be an automatic starter, but probably only for a season or two tops.

So future back 4 (2/3 seasons time):

Bellerin…….Kos…..Easter…….Gibbs

Backed up by Jenks, Chambers, Hayden and a new lefty.

91. arnie says:

Redders. 🙂

I was making a more general point. Henry is on the Sky panel, or is it Beebs? Does not matter, they are all Scouser-run mafia. 🙂

You are spot on, Exile.

In addition, Bellerin made a ‘rookies’ error of judgement, Can’s was a cynical and totally unnecessary and deliberate foul.

Gotcha, arnie. 🙂

94. GiE, what about Bellerin as the Walcott replacement, very good pace, good crossing and an eye for goal. His defending isn’t bad either.

RA 🙂

Typing from the phone i cant (can’t) be bothered with all the squiggly bits, apart from this time but thats (that’s) yer lot.

Once again I agree, Exile, with the exception of Cpl Jenks.

Sadly, I think he is now a goner not a Gooner, and will soon be a Whammer. 🙂

97. arnie says:

I second Redders. Would be lovely to have some pre-post-report-review Crystals. If Kelsey is up to it. 🙂

RA as I say I’m talking 2/3 years, hehas a longish contract with us, can see is giving him another year on loan and then perhaps let him decide whether he wants to sit on the bench for the club he loves and always be relied upon to give 100% or play regular elsewhere.

I can’t see Gibbs being our permanent LB.

Right now he is (correctly) second choice behind the excellent Monreal.

And he doesn’t really seem to have progressed much over the last couple of years – no doubt partly because of how injury prone he is.

Yikes, and Gadzooks and all that stuff — Raddish, I have belatedly realised that my though to thank and commend you for your Post was not processed by my fat digits! 🙂

Alas and alack – not to mention anon and all the stuff Rocky writes – can I do so now?

Thank you, O Great Tour Leader – a good Post read! 🙂

though = thought —— bumbuggerdamnfart!!

Great to see you commenting Kelsey, you are missed here on AA.
    I will give you a call again next week.

Take care my friend………

Isn’t it about time we heard from Pope Duck or mayhap Ant to at least tell us about the comestibles and alcoholic beverages?

‘Dereliction’ — ‘Duty’ – springs to mind! 🙂

RA, I would like to email you, can you give Peaches your current address?

Raddy – told you 🙂 so who was MotM? I thought Santi was brill, as usual 🙂 It was freeeeeeeezing at the Ems, thank Dennis there was plenty of happy jumping to be done

106. wally says:

We’re really ticking over now aren’t we. Apart from that brief spell in the first half when it was looking like the old arsenal (everyone up) we never looked troubled.
    Great goals as well, all of them.

On the tube it sounded as though the crowd where in great voice. You could really hear them. Seems to me it’s been awhile since i’ve heard such a full-throated crowd at the Emirates. Good to hear ’em.

Sanchez Man of the Match…hm.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

4 goals and not one was a tiki taka and without the inform Mignolet it would have been 6 or 7. So important that confidence will continue to gain and also that the injured are returning at this crucial time..

We still have hopefully 9 games left.

Crystals appears to have made a (tentative) prediction!

Henderson’s penalty makes him L’pool equal top scorer with 6.

Hi, GN5.

I would be happy to give you my email — but at the moment that is a bit difficult,

When things settle down in my personal life, I will get in touch.

I hope you will understand. 🙂

Kelsey,

If your – “We still have hopefully 9 games left” is a prediction – it is rubbish!! 🙂

We have played 31 games out of a maximum 39 which obviously leaves……. about 11 games left [as a gesture of support] 🙂

No wait — that shd be 31 out 38 which leaves about 12 games left.

Phew — I need to get some crystal bollix — like yours for this predicting lark.

38 – 31 = 12, yep, that seems right! 🙂

Anyway — ta ra, peeps. 🙂

RA I think Kelsey is including FA Cup 🙂

Can anyone tell me who got the assist (won the free kick) for Ozil’s goal?

Typical accountant.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha Courtois top top quality best young keeper in the world.

RA, I understand and I won’t even sulk …………..

120. Ant says:

Just for you RA.

121. Geordie Nick says:

And that was before the game.

Terrific pic of Ant.

Shame the Surfing Dude missed a cracking Arsenal win.

Once again the Chavs win whilst boring the pants off millions of viewers. Same with those cheating Mancs.

If we can take the points at Burnley we should be Kushti

A short post in drafts, should you need, it needs a bit of TLC and perhaps a new title but hey ho what a result that was today?

125. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

I think it was himself who won the free kick (according to all the reports).

Not seen any of the game as at work, but sounds like an excellent display except for 15 first half minutes.

Apparently Coquelin has more tackles and interceptions than Flamini and Arteta combined this season even though they have more playing time than him! He’s been motm (or very close) in most of the games he’s started this season too. He really has given us a new dimension in midfield.

Özil was MOTM in some reports I’ve seen, so I wonder if people are finally starting to take note of what he brings to the side.

Really looking forward to watching the goals tonight, sounds like they were beauties!

If we can get 3 points at Burnley then United play City and Chelsea play United before our next league game. Top 3 would be brilliant as no CL qualification. Anything above that is a bonus.

Excellent, thank you LB

127. fatgingergooner says:

Look at Liverpools bench today and who they had missing and compare that to ours.

Our squad depth is getting scary even compared to a ‘big side’ like Liverpool.

I think it’s going to be 1 out, 1 in on the transfer front from now on.

Well I, four one, think that was an excellent day’s entertainment.

129. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Still pinching myself, after all 4 goals against a side who came to us last year and turned the tables on us is pretty good going.

Watching some of our games early season, i felt we were just not good enough having said that i knew we still had a relatively good team, but doubted a few . Of course injuries did’nt help and as each game passed it seemed that injuries almost every game was to put any chance of even making top 4.

Wenger i have to say can be a frustrating Manager at times, many believe that certain players should be off loaded, i know because i have those feelings as well. I have often thought that with just the addition of perhaps a couple of players then maybe the breakthrough would propel us to the top.

Wenger of course has faith in people, he seems to know football inside out, Perhaps his qualifications in Psychology gives him the edge over some one like me.I look at players and think with a better player in that position we could function a whole lot different, where it seems Wenger feels that as soon as that injured player has recovered and recouped his confidence he will be like a piece in the Jig saw,

Maybe thats why he gets the big bucks and i look like a mug. Wenger has patience, while many are all about the here and now, thats me i am afraid to say. Wenger i feel will wait for what i feel is forever , its as if he can see what the jig saw will look like even though a few pieces are missing, where i see BFG as a player passed his best, Wenger see’s him as a stand out player, Yesterdays performance from him was a very good display, just looking at some of his stats confirmed he had a very good match indeed, so perhaps some of us get a bit Hasty when perhaps the man in charge should be left alone to do his Business.

130. arnie says:

motning Steve, sounds like a post on Wenger perhaps will be good. together with perhaps a poll. 🙂 still feeling a warm glow. 😛

Thanks for the pre-match, BR
    You were bang on about the clinical finishing. 🙂
    What a great day out!

Good Morning, All.

Thank you, Ant, for your pic of your goodself enjoying a pint of Guinness – it completes the winning home ritual!!! 🙂

Did the Duck behave himself?

Looking forward to an LB post.

Strange how I sleep better after a big win. And the sky is bluer, the wife looks more beautiful, coffee tastes better etc etc

The commentators blamed Mignolet for Alexis’ goal. IMO it was almost unstoppable.

Just adding some pics to LB’s post …………. back in a bit

136. ……………. New Post everyone …………………….