Decisions, decisions, decisions

Morning all

Two weeks without Premier League football, and for the ones who don’t follow the Internationals, I expect you are raring to go for this weekend’s clash at home with Liverpool. Just to mention some of the Arsenal players who haven’t had much of a rest, we have Danny Welbeck who has picked up a leg injury, he is a doubt for the weekend Aaron Ramsey played for Wales and has also a slight hamstring problem he too may be a doubt Alexis Sanches played for Chile, as far as I know, he came through without injury. Theo Walcott started for England but was subbed in the second half so he should be available.

Wenger I feel is getting to the time where he has to make some important decisions. This week  a game took place that included some of our recovering players Debuchey, Gnabry, Wilshere, Arteta, Flamini and surprise surprise Diaby!! Having read about the game it seems they all came through unscathed. What will Wenger do now? Will he be tempted to try one or two, as we could be missing two or three first choice players, or will it be too early for them?

Liverpool is a big game. We are on a good run and being at home we really need to pull all the stops out for this one. I have to say that although we seem to have a larger squad now, is it worth upsetting the balance?  I also think M Wenger should be thinking about next season too. We have a few players on loan, will he sell or will he include them? Lots of decisions to be made and when I hear supporters saying we are only a couple of players short of being League winners,  I assume they want us to buy.

As we know, before we can buy we will have to offload some players, these are decisions not to be taken lightly. Diaby is a player Wenger has kept for a long long time, he has stayed loyal to him and now he has recovered, does he play him or offload him while he is still able to walk? Can we sell him? That would be a good question, anyway a question that only Arsene can answer.

There are question marks over Arteta, Flamini, BFG, Szczesny, Campbell, Silva, Jenkinson, Akpom, Walcott and maybe more besides, surely we cannot keep them all.  Supporters  seem to me to be relatively happy with what they have seen so far this season. We’re currently sitting in third place and still in the FA cup. We have many Arsenal players who are Internationals and yet still many supporters are saying we only need a couple of players to win the league.

Well I have to disagree with the many, as far as I can see there are still a lot of problems. We have players who I am afraid to say I feel are just not good enough and no matter how long we keep them will never be good enough. We have players out on loan who would not be missed if we let them go. We have players who could be good, some who have not got permits, others with permits who have been farmed out again. We have players who cannot stay fit, not just for spells of a season some miss whole seasons, some have been with us ten years and still never stay fit. Supporters say give them a chance to get fit and they will show you. Well I am fed up waiting,  in the time they have been with us they have delivered nothing, we took a chance with them and we were wrong, time to discard these time wasters, and purchase quality that play 90% of the season.

I am waiting with baited breath. Will Wenger be tempted to include some of these against Liverpool? We’re in third place with a good possibility of second, we have no chance of winning the League because we are short of at least two if not three players. We clearly don’t have these players available in our squad or we wouldn’t be looking to buy.

Steve Palmer

74 Responses to Decisions, decisions, decisions

1. PV4 says:

I am one of those who do believe – that with 3-4 additions can win the league. A decent keeper is priority and I think everyone knows who that should be. Add to this a beast in midfield (ideas on a postcard) and possibly another defender, forward and winger.

I agree that we need to have a major clear out – Diaby, Szez, Arteta, Flamini. Their wages combined would mean that we could afford the top shelf players.

2. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning PV4, thank you for your comment,but i have to agree our goalkeepers do give me the willys i must admit TPIG still cannot be trusted to not do stupid things i don’t believe he will ever change.

Ospina has kept a few clean sheets, but has not really been tested by better teams, he seems a bit clumsey with his handling and he has me doubting he is the man.

Of course Martinez has hardly been used a few times i have seen him play looked fairly safe to me but still early doors for him and i feel we need to see more before an opinion of any credit can be said.

3. kcgp says:

PV4 and steve well i agree with both of you but plz dont forget that we as ARSENAL have never been good in the goal keeping department….since Seaman retired it’s been downhill same could be said about our defence and Tony Adams

4. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon Kcgp, wouldn’t argue with that mate, Up to us to buy in the right departments to remedy instead of stop gaps

5. PV4 says:

Kcgp/steve – I guess we look forward to the inevitable merry-go-round which is the summer window! No doubt by July we would have been linked with 30 keepers and 100 other players! Bless the internet!

6. stevepalmer1 says:

Your probably right , I would expect Wenger to have a Marquee signing lined up, I would imagine he would have a holding midfielder, Possibly a keeper although i don’t believe we are desperate for another but to buy a quality one would be seen as futuristic.

Wenger has just appeared on the New’s saying we are looking forward to our clash with Liverpool , we want to continue our run and just want to win the next game, He said that but i wonder if he really is looking forward to it.

He also stated that we did have injuries after the United game what that has to do with tomorrow i am unsure.

Steve

I think he was talking about games after international breaks with regard to the United game. i.e. he was talking about the United game in November.
    He was saying that yes, we lost that game but that was partly down to the fact that we had many injuries at the time and also that the result wasn’t in line with our performance which was good. (i.e. the mancs were spawny 🙂 )

Thanks for the post.
    I’d imagine Wenger’ll try to upset the balance of the team as little as possible with tomorrow’s selection. Hopefully we can continue to benefit from the momentum generated recently, though the flippin interlull must make the continuity a little harder to produce.

I’m still loath to write off players for sale this summer as they may still play a big part in the season denouement.
    Can’t we wait until June? (Even broken back Kallstrom scored a penalty in the semi against Wigan last season 🙂 )

8. stevepalmer1 says:

I’ll take your word for that then Chas, 🙂
    I am of the opinion Chas that if players do not have a good injury record in the first season , i would give them a chance to show there worth but for some of our players they are injured continually, how long do we wait Chas

Diaby is a special case obviously.
    Can I ask one question?
    Was it worth waiting for van Pussy to come through his injuries?

10. stevepalmer1 says:

what was he with us for 8 years and we had a couple of years when he left, so no i don’t think it was worth it. I may have said yes if he were still doing the business for us but he’s not

Fair enough.
    Get rid of all of them.

12. ‘afternoon all,

Fine post Steve, well done.

I believe Chas has got it right, flog ’em all and while we’re at it flog the Emirates to Totnumb.

Then we can all sit and look at black and white photos of Ted Drake, Cliff Bastin and George Male, I’m off to buy a Homburg hat like Herbert Chapman wore. 😀

Thanks for the post Steve. I have had one of those weeks so have missed many fine posts.

I am with PV4 on this one, but similarly I felt we were only a few players away at the end of last year as well and despite being in a reasonably healthy position we haven’t looked genuine title contenders this season. This actually brings me to comment on your post Steve by also answering many of the recent posts I have missed.

Your post a week or so back Steve about Messi also indicated that AW was a man with a plan and the man to get it right for us. It is hard to disagree in many ways with AW’s track record on getting players, but it could also be argued that he has procrastinated at times, refused to go over a value that he has decided for a player even if it is only a small amount. I still feel that we left ourselves a top CD short entering this season and I still feel it was down to basic transfer window recruitment errors.

We had a brace from Raddy a week ago (one assessing our summer recruits and I found it hard to disagree with his conclusions)with the other raising the Mertesacker conundrum. I felt the BFG should have been a 3rd choice CD this going into this season so again feel we let ourselves down in the recruitment in the summer.

Personally I would now like to see Easter and Kos move forwards as 1st choice with back up from BFG and Chambers. I would also like Chambers to be a dual function player and look to be back up to Le Coq in the holding midfield role. That would mean (IMO) that any DM coming in should be more of the box to box variety (a Vieira) rather than a holding one (a Gilberto).

Steve you also raise in both your recent posts the injury issue. I may be reading your thoughts wrong but it seems you would clear out those with a poor injury record. You also seem to allude to our bad luck with this area.

My big question is “is it just bad luck?”. Are we actually saying it is and that the club (AW, coaches, trainers, medical staff) are not complicit in any way for our poor injury record. What if we have been doing things wrong which has resulted in this? How much can we actually blame and just discard certain players, and will this solve our injury problems?

Could it be that players with a poor injury record at Arsenal go somewhere else and remain more injury free and those coming in to replace them with a previously good injury record start to get frequent break down injuries?

I think we have to be careful with this line of thought about just ridding ourselves of these players and bringing in those that seem more robust.

I would also like to thank GN5 for his marvelous recent post. The work he puts in to his seems staggering.

GIE as well. I see him as AA’s panorama. Exposing the myths and lies and establishing the truth with hard facts. I have always hated those opinions that cast AW as a failure in our austerity years but similarly I like Cockies thoughts on the different phases of AW’s tenure with us ( I can’t remember exactly how it goes) and his view that we are now in phase 4 or 5 which is where we now need to get back to challenging at the top. Will he do it? It certainly makes the recruitments this summer important. The team next year has to be balanced well enough to at least mount a serious challenge for the EPL.

Chas mentioned something on Rasp’s post yesterday about sneaking out before the half time whistle. I have to be honest and say I sometimes do this. I don’t get there so often so do like a beer at half time to cement the whole experience even if it is watered down and crap. You are left with a stark choice of going early and getting your beer in time to be back in your seat for the second half or waiting till half time standing in a queue and getting it 3 minutes before the restart and missing the start of the second half.

They do have a few of those mobile bars, more just for drinks, and I have never worked out why they don’t have them in every section of the concourse. It surely wouldn’t be that expensive and just seems so logical. I blame the club for not doing this for that problem of people either sneaking out early for half time or arriving back late.

I’m not here

Just popped in to say I’ve found out that snagging is just a joining and shortening of two words. Wife’s and nagging. My Easter weekend so far has been made up of the aforementioned snagging list, so far a small patio laid, another one extended, laminate scotias fixed, a rockery bed built and woodwork filling and painting.

Boarding the loft tomorrow, with a short two hour interval. 😀

Why take the 2 hours off GIE? Nothing going on tomorrow is there?

What the feck are laminate scotias?

So pleased I’m single. 🙂

Micky
    I think your memory is slightly selective.
    This is your tough Clash being lightweight from the same album as had English Civil War.
    (not that I don’t love this also 🙂 )

what the feck is denouement?

It’s
    Dennis when he has a new mountain.

you’ve been single for too long 🙂

Haha
    Not long enough 🙂

Eddie
    Can you give us your favourite Polish record/song?

I did before, Raddy thought Niemen had good voice. And very blue eyes

he was lovely to listen to as well, very good lyrics

talking of terrible music – where is arnie?

Great video.
    Absolutely no idea whatsoever what the song is about from the visuals but loved it nonetheless.

oh, thank you 🙂 he sings about this world being very strange, And he thought so 40 years ago!

This sounds good!

30. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all.GB, a fine comment mate, and a very valid one on injuries. I know all teams have injuries and it can certainly effect results. I have often wondered why we seem to get more than our fair share.

Many have said the same as you have, is it something we do in training. Personally i don’t think so. Any athlete trains for his sport, what is so different from one to another. The main one we seem to get is hamstrings, many track athletes encounter this one, from a standing start and a rapid sprint seems to be the thing that pulls the hamstring and that seems to happen a lot.

I always believed that legs warming up and then cooling seemed to be a reason why hamstrings tend to go, but not many normal people get a hamstring pull, sprinting for a bus or anything that needs a quick sprint doesn;t seem to affect to many but footballers it seems common place.

Many people use gyms and work out with running machines and weights, I have in my time used both types of training and have never pulled hamstrings while my legs have been under pressure, Sure i don’t think i have ever been as fit as a professional but even so i did train at one stage very hard.

Perhaps the fitter you are the more likely you become to injury, as many times a slight cold has been enough for track athletes to pull out prior to the start, perhaps the players are trained so much that they are too fit, i know thats a strange thing to say but where most of us in normal life get on with a cold or ache many seem to not be able to function,

Arsenal have a team in looking for Medical answers but what they wont be looking for is players who are too fit,

martial law, terrible times,, started day after I left for England. No contact with family for almost 18 months. Why are you doing this monster? If you are trying to sweet talk me – forget it 🙂

32. Chas laminate scotias, was shorthand for scotia that goes round laminate flooring……….exciting stuff…..especially when the “tradesmen” who fitted it used a glue no better than blu tac.

I went and purchased some proper stuff and i don’t think the things will budge now. But we all got a little high on the fumes.

Thanks Steve yet again.

MATCH DAY….YIPEEEEE

Morning Lads

Chas, Seeing that clear wave pic, we’re off on a three day surf tour on weds next week around Cornwall. Forecast sun, and 10mph Easterly Winds 🙂

3 day surf tour sounds rather appealing.
    Have you hired a big Winnebago?

Ha ha Chas
    And eight times all the people with more important things to do would have missed the goals 🙂

No. Normally we camp, but we’re doing the deluxe tour. Staying in pubs

Bit chilly for camping. Good shout.

You do see some seriously cool van conversion set ups amongst surfers. We have a massive bell tent. Up in seven mins. Plenty of standing room. No frills. Done

What time is pick up by Ant? We’ll squeeze in some PM talk before, as I’ll be gone before the Raddy goes up. Usual story 🙄

Great pics Chas. Especially enjoyed the Winnebago. On our recent Swedish tour we had a slightly smaller version – it had a 40″ TV and satellite dish, a kitchen with washing up machine and room to sleep 5! Hated it and would rather have slept under canvas.

Looking forward to writing the post in a minute …. back shortly.

I’d like to see video of you putting up this massive bell tent in 7 mins!

Pick up is 8.30.
    I have a pack up to assemble. Back in 20.

50. arnie says:

Match day, is it?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

horrible subtitles, but you will get the idea. Just in case you have the balls to click on PLAY. 🙂

ha ha ha ha

OK, have to sleep now, back laters! 🙂

51. arnie says:

apols everyone for knot bin ear. batteries recharged, back on the saddle now.

Good to see you back Arnie. Hope all is well with you

54. arnie says:

all well, Raddy, just the roller coaster ride that life is. all stories later. have to catch up on some sleep now. 😛

Ah ha Raddy and Arnie
    Life inching back to normal

Chas
    7 mins easy. One pole in the middle. Eight lines.

Check out the stills after min 6:30 of the Arctic vid. Really beautiful pictures.

Raddy,
    Too right there is more to life than a big telly 🙂

That SmugMug film was super rad!

🙂

Here’s Arsene’s injury news from Official AFC site

on Arteta, Wilshere, Debuchy and Diaby…
    They were all involved on Tuesday and it went well. They’ve no problem after that coming out of the game.

on recalling them for Saturday…
    Jack or Diaby or Debuchy, will I involve any of them? I don’t know, I haven’t decided.

on Oxlade-Chamberlain and Welbeck…
    Oxlade-Chamberlain is still out and not available and Danny Welbeck came back from England with a slight knee injury. It looks like he has a little chance to be available for Saturday still

Not very helpful Arsene 🙂

Cmon you rip roaring reds.
    Up The Arse.

Oh go on Chas
    before we go, give us the somersault cat

Damn, missed him

Ok, enjoy your days one and all.

Phone reception permitting, join you for the game

Bye

Cats really are rubbish. Can’t we have some cute puppy vids?

63. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all.
    Arsene giving nothing away it seem’s, Will we see Diaby starting the game, I wonder, Coquelin can last the whole game but Diaby probably couldn’t as he never made 90 in the week, would you give him a start knowing if he went down early one of our subs would be used up early. Probably not, so may see him around seventy.

I feel that Danny will be used whether a starter maybe but it makes sense to use him later in the game. Arteta could be used as he has a few atributes that could help throughout but is he ready. Decisions Decisions. I have a feeling that Arsene will play safe i feel that he will start with a team that have been playing regular, see how it goes till half time and if we are winning or holding our own do as he usually does and leave it late before making changes.

Stirling if fit will be lightening up front so will need looking after, we will be under pressure early doors and hopefully we soak up the onslaught. Weaknesses will be found out but we can cause them many problems if we can pass quickly and pass accurately.

This will be a tough game and this game could decide if we make top 4. Raddy will of course give us his insight and he is pretty good how he see’s it, is pretty close to what Arsene does, so i wait with baited breath for his wise words. COYRRG’s

Chas @ 6:42

That pic brought back the sheer terror and pain of an experience I had in Hawaii some time back.

Swimming 20 metres off the North Shore – strictly NOT surfing – was idyllic, when I found I was being sucked out to sea at great speed.

I was faced with a wall of water rather like the one you show at 6:42.

Up I went like a cork – this time being rushed to the beach at an even greater rate, but before I got to the top of the wave, it curled over and hurled me to the shingle and the wave then flattened me.

I thought I was going to drown as I was under for a long time (it seemed to me anyway) but came up just in time. Back lacerated – I was helped up the sandy beach, and my humiliation was salved by the sight of the beach babes struggling to rescue their towels, bags etc with at least two of them trying to pull their bikini bottoms up.

Funny how waves seem capable of pulling down shorts and pants! 🙂

Thank you – you brought it all back. I have a long standing invitation to visit friends over there – and I will get in touch today! 🙂

Eddie. That dog is clearly disabled and it is unkind to find such things amusing.:-)

raddy!!!! it is a gorgeous pugglet 🙂 the bestest dog in the world. First breed, from china, commoners owners of pugs risked their lives. only royalty were allowed them. They really are superb

chas – see you at the ems x

There is a