Will Arsenal make it 19 in a Row?

The race for the top four Premier League positions is on in full force. Twenty nine games played and just nine games left. Fourteen teams still have a mathematical chance of finishing in the top four but I will only concentrate on the battle involving the top seven.

Chelsea still appears to be Championship favourites although their form has dipped of late and as it’s dipped their tactics have become even cruder. So far this season their only slip ups against non top seven teams were draws with Burnley and Sunderland and a loss to Newcastle. They only have three remaining games against the top seven – United and Liverpool at home and Arsenal away. I fully expect them to play ultra defensive football, hoping for a breakaway goal but happily settling for a point in each of the three games, while winning all of their remaining games against the non top seven teams.

However they have only managed to gain 19 out of 30 points in their last 10 PL games so my prediction may be overly optimistic.

My predictions are –

Hull – away win, Stoke – home win, QPR – away win, Man U – home draw

Arsenal – away draw, Leicester – away win, Crystal P – home win

Liverpool – home draw, WBA – away win, Sunderland – home win

Last 10 games DLWWDWWDWD (Pts % 63.3)

Current points 64

Projected points 88

Manchester City is difficult to predict as their form is inconsistent at best and erratic at worst, which was highlighted by their loss to Burnley. Against the non top seven teams they have drawn with QPR, Burnley, Everton, and Hull and lost to Stoke, West Ham and Burnley. Against the top seven they have already dropped 12 points.

City has only managed to win just 50% of the points in their last 10 games so they will have to turn things around to hold on to second place.

My predictions are –

WBA – home win, Crystal P – away win, Man U – away win, West Ham – home win

Aston Villa – home win, Tottenham – away draw, QPR – home win

Swansea – away draw, Southampton – home win

Last 10 games WDLDDWWLWL (Pts % 50.0)

Current points 58

Projected points 81

Manchester United have really ridden their luck this season by winning games that they should have lost but they are now heading into a run of very difficult games. After their loss to Arsenal in the FA Cup ended their hopes of any trophy’s this season their consequent win against Tottenham will be a boost to their confidence.

My predictions are –

Liverpool – away draw, Aston Villa – home win, Man City – home loss

Chelsea – away draw, Everton – away win, WBA – home win

Crystal P – away win, Arsenal – home draw, Hull – away win

Last 10 games DLWWDWLWWW (Pts % 66.7)

Current points 56

Projected points 74

Liverpool is showing some impressive form and is undefeated in their last 13 PL games.

I only see Pool dropping points against Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea. In their last game against Swansea they rode their luck but in the end they won the game on a very fortunate deflection. I see them as legitimate contenders for a PL place.

My predictions are –

Man U – home draw, Arsenal – away draw, Newcastle – home win

Hull – away win, WBA – away win, QPR – home win

Chelsea – away draw, Crystal P – home win, Stoke – away win

Last 10 games WWWDWWWWW (Pts % 86.7)

Current points 54

Projected points 75

Tottenham have beaten both Arsenal and Chelsea in their last 10 games but have also lost to Man U and Liverpool so they are very unpredictable, in their  0-3 loss at Old Trafford they did not look like a team capable of finishing in the top four.

Our shadow over the North London midgets is getting bigger and darker by the year.

My predictions are –

Leicester – home win, Burnley – away win, Villa – home win

Newcastle – away win, Southampton – away draw

Man C – home draw, Stoke – away draw, Hull – home win

Everton – away draw

Last 10 games WLWWWLDWWL (Pts % 63.3)

Current points 50

Projected points 69

Southampton seems to have run out of steam and have dropped 13 points in their last 10 games. In their last game they gained a point at Stamford Bridge and looked good in the process. I only see them losing to Man C in their final 9 games but I cannot see them making the top four.

My predictions are –

Burnley – home win, Everton away draw, Hull – home win

Stoke – away draw, Tottenham – home draw, Sunderland – away win

Leicester – away win, Villa – home win, Man C – away loss

Last 10 games WWWLWDLLWD (Pts % 56.7)

Current points 50

Projected points 68

Arsenal has won eight of the last 10 PL games and our only losses were to Tottenham and Southampton. During this period only Liverpool gained more points winning 26 while we won 24. I cannot remember the last time our squad looked so strong with only 9 games left in the season.

Our key players are close to their top form with Cazorla, Ozil and Alexis just oozing class. Ramsey and Walcott still have a way to go but it’s great to see them both fit again – they will be needed. Ospina has been very steady in goal and shows a lot of confidence, which spreads to the team.  Coquelin has added some steel and tenacity to our midfield while Giroud proved his worth with his performances against West Ham and Monaco. My main concern is with our full back positions, we always seem to be exposed down the flanks – when they make their forays downfield our center backs are drawn out of position while they are covering for the absentee’s.

My predictions are –

Newcastle – away win, Liverpool – home draw, Burnley – away win

Sunderland – home win, Chelsea – home draw, Hull – away win

Swansea – home win, Man U – away draw, WBA – home win

Last 10 games LWWWLWWWWW (Pts % 80.0)

Current points 57

Projected points 78

The season will hinge on the following 10 games and will most likely be decided based on the outcome of the first seven of them.  To be honest they are the type of games that should decide the championship – the best against the best – I await them with nervous anticipation.

Arsenal v Liverpool

Arsenal v Chelsea

Man U v Arsenal

Chelsea v Man U

Chelsea v Liverpool

Liverpool v Man U

Man U v Man C

Spurs v Man C

Man C v Saints

Spurs v Saints

I firmly believe that we are up for the task – how about you?

To arrive at my final conclusions I’ve predicted the outcome of 54 games so I’m bound to be wrong but how wrong do you think I am?

19th march

GunnerN5

150 Responses to Will Arsenal make it 19 in a Row?

That’s some serious work GN5. Thanks

I think the whole season now hinges on the Toon game. Lose and we could be in trouble. You predict a win followed by a home draw to Pool. I’d revers those, but with the end result the same.

I also reckon we’ll beat Chavs at home but drop silly points to yer Hulls or Swans.

And on yesterdays post, three ROLF’s to Transplant 🙂

3. RC78 says:

I hope that you are correct because it would mean that we are in Top 3 and that Man Utd is out of top 4…

That said, I think City will struggle to be motivated so we have a slight hope of overtaking them if we continue to perform well…

In the end, I think that your final table is correct in terms of ranking based on the current form of teams…However, the truth of today may not hold tomorrow…

Let us hope for a Shitty and Chavs meltdown and for a big push for the title by Arsenal and Liverpool leaving Man Utd behind the top 4 as well…

The best looking team in the EPL at the moment is Liverpool and I would say that Arsenal, Chavs and Utd are close second so let us see what happens…My biggest worry is that Sanchez is looking jaded and that we have lost Ox for a while…It is time for Theo to take that FWR position and to dish out the assists and goals for us…

4. henrychan says:

I think Arsenal will end second..
    City will drop points against MU and Soton.. that’s at least 4 points less..
    And we still can win for Liverpool, Chelsea and MU.. hehehehe..

5. ‘morning all, GN5 have you borrowed Crystal’s crystal ball? 😀

Personally, when I get up in the morning I find it difficult to predict what I shall have for my breakfast. I certainly won’t be trying to foretell the outcome of seventy Premiership matches.

Talking of breakfast, if you like sausages this may make you smile

6. RC78 says:

Best team at the moment:
    Osp – Bellerin, BFG, Kos, Monreal – Ramsey, Coquelin – Cazorla – Wellbeck, Giroud, Ozil

Hopefully in two weeks time:
    Osp – Debs, BFG, Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, Coquelin – Cazorla or Ozil – Ox, Giroud, Sanchez

7. I think Arsenal have a chance to finish above City in second. I wrote about it yesterday and am convinced that City are capable of dropping more points than Arsenal. Their sails have run out of wind and their manager looks clueless, disturbed, distracted

8. PV4 says:

I still believe we have a chance of second. Citeh are not in great form and Manu have a hardish run-in. However, as always, we are never even mentioned in terms of finishing second or third. This could be an advantage as the blinkered attitude towards Arsenal means that they are not really convinced we even know how to kick a ball! I think we could get upwards of 80 points. BTW… has Mesut been hung, drawn and quartered yet for swapping shirts?

RC78

Interesting you leave Sanchez out of your best “at the moment” team, and I agree.

We really need to protect him

Super stuff, GN5. 🙂

You never disappoint and the info you have collated is terrific, as are your predictions.

I would not be unhappy if the final table turns out as you predict, but I suspect there will be plenty of nail-biting in the meantime.

11. Ah, Micky you are at last coming round to my way of thinking. I propose that we protect Alexis by playing Chambers in his position. While we are at it Mesut could do with a rest so put Gabriel in his place.

To protect one or two other players, my starting eleven against Newcastle would be as follows:_

…………………….Ospina………………..

Chambers……Merts……Kos……..Monreal
    ……..Flamini……….Le Coq……….Gabriel
    Bellerin……………………………………Gibbs
    ……………………Szczesny……………….

This line-up would have two benefits, 1) It will rest the little darlings who normally run about the top end of the pitch and 2) there will be no need to change ends at half-time, the players just need to turn round and face the other way.

I commend it to the House!!!

Tricky Micky,

I agree, that Sanchez needs a bit of TLC, and should be sent back to Chile to have a 2 week holiday break, as he is a shadow of his normal self at the moment.

That team is ingenious, Norfolk, and any suggestion that you are barmy and should be left to the tender mercies of Terry – are perfectly justified. 🙂

14. RA, you consider my team “ingenious” so which one of us is barmy? 😀

15. RC78 says:

Actually I think we need to be wary of a revengeful Newcastle as there are a few players that want to join us – Sissoko, Cabella, Cisse…so they ll try to shine. They played well vs Utd and were unlucky to lose really…Let us make sure that we sink them…and let us play Cazorla, Ozil, Wellbeck and Giroud

16. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t think you need to look as far as the end of the season to work out the top 4.

Man U next 5 games are:

Liverpool a
    Villa h
    City h
    Chelsea a
    Everton a

I don’t see United getting more than 7 points from these matches, which means if Arsenal and Liverpool continue to pick up wins then there will be a decent gap developing between Arsenal, City, Liverpool and the rest.

I’m not sure about total points or final positions, but my top 4 will be Chelsea, Arsenal, City and Liverpool, and I think it will be pretty much sorted with 4 games to go.

17. Only Gibbs, Welbeck and Walcott have been included in the England squad to face Lithuania and Italy

Hi everybody,

I spoke with our friend Kelsey this morning.

Unfortunately the news is not very positive. At the moment he is bed-ridden and on drugs to minimize his pain.

I would suggest that he would find personal contact very difficult so it may be more appropriate to make your thoughts known here on AA.

We are with you every step of the way Kelsey – Chin up mate.

19. arnie says:

wow, that is great work, GN5. thoroughly comprehensive. 🙂

dont know how, but the heart and mind both say we will come second and push for the title. I believe this prediction, because the heart and mind do not always agree. but this time they have agreed, so they must be right! 😛

which means Shitty will lose some more points. In fact, I would love to see Shitty in 4th and Pool in 3rd.

ManUre in the Spursday draw and Spuds out of it. ha ha ha ha ha. 🙂

20. I pressed “post comment” button too soon, 😀

So Chambers is the only fit member of our 1st team squad to miss out.

I hope Walcott gets to play a good part of one of the matches, he needs the game time to shake off the rust.

21. arnie says:

Norfolk I like your team. 🙂

“Able was I ere I saw Elba”

all that is required is for Szcz and Ospina to swap shirts at halftime. 😆

22. GN5, Please add my best wishes next time you contact Kelsey.

23. arnie says:

lovely motning batner. 🙂 sorry, I was watching the game but when B’desh lost 2 wickets I lost interest and fell asleep. It was very early in the morning here.

but I am sufficiently encouraged to post some more. 😆

24. arnie says:

chin up and head held high, Kelsey. get well soon. we are all with you. 🙂

Thank you GN5.

25. Arnie, palindromic sentences on a Thursday afternoon?

Go hang a salami, I’m a lasagna hog.

It’s just too much! 😀

I would be delighted if by the penultimate game of the season at Old Trafford we have already wrapped up a PL position and are able to deny Man U of a place.

“Wouldn’t it be loverly”

Wenger when questioned on his plans for the summer said that he expected that 95% of the current squad will be staying.

So squad size = 25; 5% of that = 1.25 players.

Clearly Arsene is going into the butchery business – what will he do with the remaining 0.75% of the player he is partly selling?

So that sounds like Flamini is going (or is it Podolski?), and the 0.25% is the remaining good leg of Arteta. 🙂

I suppose it is good news for Per, Gibbs, Rosicky, and either Flambo or the Pod (see above).

There are times when AW should keep his thoughts to himself on player business.

28. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, Question of the day, and blimey GN5 you certainly look into your questions, Your last post was outstanding, and this one although on first looks makes you think it was easy on second look shows how much you have researched.

When i make comments or post they normally come from the heart my memory is not good, i can honestly say i havent missed a game either on tv or a stream for as long as i can remember, but i am not one who can remember results.

I know people can always look up on line and find out any stats they care to look for, but i feel you are probably one who can remember most, i commend you Sir.

Predicting games is like the lottery if i were any good at it i would be a millionaire. current form changes like the wind, Chelsea look like wobbleing and City seem to have been banging their heads against a wall, Liverpool look like they can spank anybody while Spuds look like they run out of gas.

Us now the stats we have for the last few games make us look as if we stand a chance, but with our Jekyll and Hyde persona i wouldn’t bet my house on us.

Arsenal look like a team that have a good chance of top 4 but they could so easily finish outside. Our team looks a couple of players short of winning things but where i feel we are lacking is the way we play. Ask a supporter where we need that couple of players and many would say HM or CB some may also say Keeper. Myself would say down the wings proper wingers who can cross a good ball players who can stretch defenses players who can go past fullbacks. Sanches Wellbeck ozil or santi canot do that the ox likes to come from midfield our fullbacks try but need to get back so run out of gas if we had proper wingers i feel we could win the league.

We continue our attack down the middle and we get undone brealaways against us from teams like Chelsea and City United will be our undoing. Mertsacker is a weakness that we can remedy with Easterman we have a right back almost ready to come back in the Boosh we have Chambers who could be put with Le Coq we have the players.

When Raddy put up his Joke team the other day and i looked at that I saw where certain players were and realised that many of the placing he put down actually would work, i can not remember them all now but it didn’t look that bad. Have we got possible wingers already, solely for that job maybe Belerin is quick and clever, Gibbs and Gnabry could be another Monreal even has a go Jenkinson was ok Walcott useless he probably would be my pick, but because he see’s himself as a CF and doesn’t challenge doesn’t go round any body and like a learner driver swerves to the middle he surely has to go. i would go as far as to say he cost us against Monaco.

GN5 you write a blinding post mate and you talk sense i admire that but winning the league will only come when we have sorted our team out. Consistency will only come when we have a plan ABCD we need to be able to change for all occasions until then we will remain Jackal and Hyde.

29. arnie says:

Norfolk. 🙂

GN5. loverly indeed. 🙂

Lovely jubbly Gn5

I love this type of Post!

I’m sure there will be many twists and turns in the run-in, but I find myself in tandem with most of what you have predicted.

My one reservation is that you have City remaining unbeaten in the run-in, whereas I feel they are currently flaky enough to lose one or two.

Which would be all to the good, as we might finish above them 🙂

However, if the final table is identical to your one above, I’ll be very happy.

You are right, Oh Great Rock, it is an excellent Post, and now it is about time you came out of your sabbatical and gave us one of your’n. 🙂

Altho’ why you should want to ride ‘tandem’ with GN5 on a bicycle made for two, I do not know! 🙂

As barmy as Norfolk! 🙂

Thank you for the responses to my post. I’m trying to keep away from the stats as I know they drive most folks up the wall.

I second that RA a post from Rocky would be just great!!!

Fine post GN5.

I think the FA should just accept your analysis and stop the league this evening thereby allowing us older folk less heart attack threatening weekends.

Kelsey. The whole of Scandinavia sends it’s best regards and wishes you well and that includes Lord Bendtner – your favourite all-time Arsenal player

36. arnie says:

Redders. I third, fourth and fifth. C’mon Rocky, we deserve a Rockstar post. 🙂

37. arnie says:

Steve, some superb comments consistently over the past month or so. Dont know how we can thank you enough. 🙂

38. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Arnie, were all Gooners mate, i like yourself have followed them all our lives and had good and bad times. To tell the truth as much as i love Arsenal i would give it all up if it meant Kelsey was fit as a fiddle, yes i would miss them but its not worth a life.

You never have to thank me mate, i do it because i care, but on reflection just take it easy on that Indian Music 🙂

39. fatgingergooner says:

Wow, Everton are so bad at the back. Alcaraz is making Stepanovs look good!

The AA scouting network has picked out another decent player in Yarmalenko. Great goal.

Super post, GN5.

I can’t really see past this coming Saturday at Newcastle. 🙂

For some reason I’ve a feeling this upcoming international break will play a big part for all teams. A two week gap from playing with their clubs, the players will come back disorientated at such a crucial stage of the season.

41. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

I think the 0.25 of a player is what’s left of Diaby that actually works! 🙂

I can see Podolski, Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini and Diaby being the main candidates to leave, although I think only 2 or 3 will actually go.

Coming in i can only see a HM and possibly a young attacking player who can operate on the left.

So Everton lose and are out 6:4 to Dynamo Kiev, and my man Yarmolenko showed his class. 🙂

Micky Theo Out. 🙂

FGG,

Yes, I had not thought about Diaby being the 0.25. The poor guy has been out for so long he has already left the club in practical terms — not sure about Jack W either.

A conversation about cellos this morning and no one posted this?

45. arnie says:

Steve. 🙂 if “take it easy” is meant to imply “give up now”, you know what the answer is! 😆

GiE. 🙂

Good scouting, Redders. 🙂

46. Sav from Australia says:

As always an excellent, well researched piece, GN5.

47. wally says:

We’re in. Manure’s fate is decided on Sunday. Lose and they’re cooked. Win and they’re probably in.

Sorry didn’t comment on your fine post GN5, hate that work is getting in the way of fun things!

Anyway, as far as us and the run in, I’m saying 2nd with a brief bit of hope that we can catch the chavs.

Surfing after school/work today for the Didits 🙂

Date

Time

Surf

Wave Period

Wind

Weather

Zumajays Prediction

Friday
    20th March Morning 3-4ft 14 Secs
    east Surf up! A solid 4ft today with breezy off shores! what a week and it’s not going anywhere yet! Shakka Rating – 4
    Afternoon 4-5ft 14 Secs
    north-east

oops.
    you get the drift

Mmmm

Just been googling one of the pieces we heard last night

The piece is in six sections:
    Lento Maestoso (E minor and major)
    Poco Adagio (C♯ minor)
    Andante (A major)
    Andante Moderato (Quasi Tempo di Marcia) (D minor and major)
    Allegro (E♭ major and minor)
    Lento Maestoso (C minor and major)

Does any of that mean there was a guitar solo, or had words like yellow submarine? 🙂

Queue yellow sub on the sitar ROLF

Laters

Just looked at the England squad…..what on earth happened to English defenders?

But worse is the fact I look at the squad and there are very few exciting players that can open up defences with a pass. The midfield is either powerful lump, speedy, or solid workers. One player who I think can trick his way around is Sterling but otherwise it just fills me with gloom.

whilst those attributes are all key for the PL they are consistently found wanting at International level. Oh for a Beardsley, or dare I say it a Sheringham.

54. RC78 says:

Just for SP1 – agree with you that we lack width because all our supposed wingers, like to cut inside ALL THE TIME…

There is one player that is available this summer that could really bring smt to the team…I know he is getting old but I think Pedro would be a great player to have in the squad and I would be happy to leave Poldi go for good if we get Pedro…

Now, if we want real quality wingers, there are not that many…
    – Meertens can be approached for sure
    – Valencia (from Utd) or Navas (City) would be good acquisitions
    – If you want a versatile player that knows how to play on the wing, you can go for Reuss
    – If you want to take one for the future, you can invest in Nabil Fekir (great potential and probably one to watch)
    – If you want to gamble, go for a half-price El-Sharaawy (AC Milan) or a finally-finding his feet in the EPL Lamela…

Ospina – Debuchy, GARAY, Kos, Gibbs – Ox, BENDER, Ramsey – Ozil – Sanchez, Giroud

PiG – Bellerin, BFG, Gabs, Monreal – Wilshere, Coquelin, Santi – Walcott, Wellbeck, PEDRO (or Meertens)

+ Martinez, Bielik or Zelalem, Arteta, Rosicky, Gnabry

If we get Garay, Bender and Pedro – we are doing well…
    For me, OX will become our box-to-box guy as long as he stays fit.

If you get Pedro or Meertens, you will add width threat and goals…

As said earlier, I believe we are 3 players away from being genuine contenders…I am also hoping that we can keep our players fit – injuries have been a nightmare really for us.

I would actually be happy with the acquisition of Fraser Foster and one other in midfield possibly two to help the workload at DM if anything should happen to LeCoq and assuming Flamster is on his way.

GN5, thanks for a marvelous well researched post. Sorry I couldn’t get on yesterday. I find it hard to disagree with your predictions although would hold out some hope that we could get 2nd. I would dearly love us to have the last 3 games with top 4 security already in or almost in the bag but am not sure it will work out like this.

We all on here seem to have another team we are not too keen on. The spuds is obviously a consistent one. For me it is Chelski but i notice for others it is Utd. I don’t really have a deep dislike of Utd and more remember the great battles we had with them in our golden period as 2 great attacking clubs.

I did dislike the sheer favouritism that the authorities and refs showed them in Fergies era, (which seemed obvious to all except Utd fans), and remain convinced that some of their silverware was secured due to this in years when it was closer.

Despite not minding them too much I still feel it is important that they don’t get top 4 so will be looking for results to turn against them even if it favours say Liverpool. My reasoning for this is purely based on football and looking towards next season. I have a gut feeling they will spend big in the summer, (more than any other PL club they can do this and still be within FFP rules), and this may see them emerge from their blip since Fergie left. That would make it increasingly harder for us unless we also push the boat out in the TW.

I could easily see them sorting ut a swap between Bale and De Gea, then giving Chavs what they want to get Cech as De Gea’s replacement, then going big on Pogba and likely another big stellar striker like Cavani. That would make them a formidable outfit but for me getting all the players they want will hinge on being in the CL or not. If they are in it I think they will secure all their targets.

RC, I would give a thumbs up to Pedro or Reus, and maybe Fekir, a thumbs down to Valencia, Lamela or Navas as I don’t believe they areas good as made out by some. Lamela is also likely unrealsitic as I can’t see Levy dealing with us, at least not without fleecing us for well above his value. El Sharaway and Meertens I don’t know enough about but tghe former seems to be one of these names that has been touted as a top talent for a while without ever really making you sit up and take notice. Another overrated one maybe?

I am quite liking the look of the one that our chief scout (Redders) identified, Yolkypantso or something, so would be happy with him, Pedro, Reus or possibly Fekir.

RC what about Gnabry though? Do we factor him in to featuring for us more or is he not quite good enough? What about Campbell as a left footed right sided attacker? Does he have something to offer or not? He didn’t get many chances earlier in the season but the little I saw showed he could have something with a bit of faith put in him and more playing time. He also seemed to work hard on defence and recovering possession.

I actually wonder if we are well covered with players who can play wide attacking roles and still feel it is a top clinical striker that we need.

Look just cause I didn’t turn up yesterday it is no reason to ignore me now. I will start to cry if no-one talks to me.

60. Hello GB 🙂

Still no Eddie………. too busy skiing and falling on her arse 🙂

a demain mes amis.

GB, No apology needed, you are obviously a busy man.

This may sound strange but I envy those of you who are still busily occupied in your career’s. I retired over a decade back and although I take the odd consulting assignment I really miss the day to day hustle and bustle of an involved business life.

However back to my lifelong passion (which will never die) tomorrow’s game will be a good yardstick of how we will perform in our next 10 hopefully 11 games.

I do find the silence surrounding Wilshere very odd and also the fact that Walcott is basically kept on the sidelines – have they both dropped off of AW’s radar?

Hello NB and GN5. Funnily enough GN5 I envy those less busy and could easily live without the hustle and bustle. All this “I have won £25m on the lottery but it will not change me and I won’t give up my job as a refuse collector” is bollix IMO. Me? I would be on first name terms with the workers at some 5 star resort in Barbados, skiing more in the winter before trying out some South American skiing in our summer e.t.c e.t.c.

Wilshere and Walcott worry me GN5. They are both players I rate to a large degree and both players who I feel still have their best years coming. I would hate to be watching that happening elsewhere and am also acutely aware that they are part of our homegrown contingent and further, provide us with a certain amount of English identity in the squad. I do feel that most of the successful EPL sides have a hard core of English identity and add some continental flare to this.

Same song book GB, I have always held both players in high esteem but they are typically Arsenal and are subject to numerous injuries. I don’t envy the decision’s that AW has to make regarding his midfielders as it can only be a case of “damned if you do” or “damned if you don’t”

You should not underestimate how important work is in exercising your brain – I find nothing more stimulating than solving complex issues/problems – unfortunately creating a weekly grocery list does not do it for me (lol)

Great stuff GN5

We will make it GN5.

19 top four finishes in a row? People should take a step back and rejoice at that. Football is such a competitive sport, and as in life, filled with uncertainty and pitfalls.

Yet Arsene and Arsenal have managed to achieve a level;of consistency that is unmatched by any other Club in English football.

Of course, it could be better, but there are some that will never be happy. From were I stand these people are ungrateful and arouse suspicion.

Ending the season in the top four and winning the FA Cup will be a great season, but what makes it even better is the improvement and potential we see going forward.

I am truly encouraged by the team and clubs progress and feel that next year could be the first time in 10 years we could spring a genuine title challenge.

Exciting times

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Terry,

You are right Terry we need to keep stirring up the Ghosts, as I was born in the 30’s I may well be one of them??

66. fatgingergooner says:

For all Theo’s faults there are not many wingers out there I would swap him for. I imagine his goals and assist ratio over the last 5 years compares very favourably with the likes of Navas, Valencia, Lamela etc. Pedro is probably the only one I would consider swapping him for, but he’s nearly 28 and not proven in the PL, so maybe not.

Reus is slightly different as he’s more a creative player than a winger, although I’d still love him at Arsenal.

Maybe we just need to accept that Theo isn’t the all action, tricky, attacking player that Sanchez is. Maybe HE needs to realise this and accept that he’s a very good winger who if used correctly is a real weapon for any squad. If Wenger can use him properly then we can stop expecting him to change his game and he can concentrate on being an impact type player.

As for Forster, I don’t see it. He’s looked good in a few games (Chelsea, Arsenal) but he’s made errors in a few aswell (Villa, Swansea). For all his size he doesn’t seem to cover the goal very well. A few times this season he’s been beaten by long range efforts when he’s been on the side of the goal where the balls gone in. Wether that’s poor footwork or lack of spring I’m not sure. I’d be interested to see him behind a weaker defence to see how good he actually is. England games are the perfect opportunity!!!! 😃

The insistence of some — well, GoonerB Drivin’ Me Bonkers, to keep expressing their undying adulation of Theo really bugs me.

I keep saying to myself ‘don’t bite, they are nice peeps, just living in a world of make-believe’ but despite that excellent advice to myself, I ignored it.

About 2 years ago we went through a protracted negotiation rumour and counter-rumour session regarding Theo and his bloody insistence he was worth a £m a week or he would be off, and as it coincided with the Van Persie desertion, Arsenal finally agreed to his ridiculous demands for a 3 year period.

He then took a year off through injury, and now he has all the sage bloggers saying, ‘poor thing, yes, he has been crap since his return, but he is rusty because of his £m a week injury, that lasted for a year,’ Neatly forgetting that to many of us he was ‘rusty’ before his injury.

Now here we go again — ‘pay me the same as Sanchez and Özil or I am off, and don’t worry about me being crap – I’m only rusty, you know’.

Meanwhile in another football galaxy, just up the M6 in a land known as ‘Pool, another rather better player known as Sterling, is doing much the same thing, ‘give me the same dosh as Theo, or I am off’.

The answer seems surprisingly simple – just swap the two little rat-bags, and we can all admit that the ‘Pool player Theo is crap rusty. 🙂

Incidentally, GB, how can you be retired and still working your wormers off – both at the same time?

Do you ever get crap rusty worms that don’t quite work as quickly as expected? 🙂

Yes RA we do get rusty worms. Us wormers had been searching for a solution for ages all to no avail then one day I was over for a small trip in Greece and ran into one Mr Terriakous Mancinilous, or at least that is what he said he was called. He did look and sound a bit familiar and the glasses nose and moustache looked a bit like those Peter Sellers Pink Panther types. Anyway it turned out that Mr Mancinilous had the cure for a rusty worm which he described as having invented through the necessity of years of bad experiences.

Nb – you are a nasty piece of work! Me falling on my are? ! I was pushed 🙂 I’m back in warsaw undergoing a full MOTOROLA, new hair, teeth, nails, etc. Too busy spoiling myself 🙂

Some excellent posts and comments lately, thank you to the authors!!

I deliberately missed the CL game. I knew the lads will give it all, but achieve nothing. 3 goals away was too much to expect. I didn’t want to see their disappointment.

But I watched City v Messi game. Bloody he’ll, did he humiliate them or what? In the end I thought they stopped even trying not to look even more foolish. He is a freak of nature, I love him

71. arnie says:

motning, erm afternoon all. Redders, I share your bewilderment at the “Theo at any cost” brigade.

He has been a good player, but has he been a loyal servant for us? Does he think too highly of himself. And is thereby disrespectful of the wizards that crowd our midfield.

In any case, these are issues for Wenger to consider in teh contract negotiation process. If he decides to signal the right value to Theo, that I think is fair. 🙂

72. arnie says:

GN5. Yes, tomorrow’s game is crucial. 🙂

when are you planning to visit Michigan?

73. fatgingergooner says:

Games 247
    Minutes 15289
    Goals 72
    Assists 38
    Gpg/a 2.24
    Mpg/a 138.99

By the way RA, Theo, Theo, Theo…….

I am interested though RA, did you feel that Theo was rusty and not performing well pre injury. I can’t accurately think that far back what with having a goldfish type memory. I do seem to vaguely recall however many persons stating at the time of his injury what a worrying loss he would be to us, and I also think over the next few weeks after the injury where many felt that the absent Theo would have given us a lot more in certain games.

The injury thingy is another one. There seems to be a collective reference to our recent injury history as us purely being very unlucky. I often feel this reference to pure bad luck on this front is used to mostly absolve Arsene and the club from a poor period of performances, as if we are just perennially unlucky and they are not complicit in this problem in any way.

The question for me where walcott is concerned would be “is Theo a player who is naturally injury prone or is Theo a player (maybe one of many) who is employed by an organisation that do things in a way that makes them more injury prone?”

It seems that Theo’s chequered record to date on injuries is often used as a reason to not be overly concerned if he were to leave us, as he just can’t be trusted on the injury front. Someone I know said to me that Paul Easter hadn’t had a proper injury in 3 years and then a few weeks with us and whollop. I don’t actually know if they were joking and pulling my leg though as I haven’t checked on the facts of this.

Sterling is a player I like as well and maybe if both are playing hardball with the respective clubs the swap could be a solution. He has a far better injury record than Theo so we would be getting the better deal because there is no way that he will join us and end up with any significant absence through injury in his first year while Theo plays 95% of the season for them….or is there….

Interesting stats FGG. I don’t always think stats tell the full story but sometimes they do give an accurate indicator. I am not certain with these ones which way one should perceive it.

Sorry RA, I didn’t put any smilies in. You know that I am not directing anything at you just having a general chat. I wouldn’t want to compromise your new man love that you declared for me the other day 🙂

77. RC78 says:

I think that bringing in Pedro, Meertens, Reuss does not mean getting rid of Walcott – quite the opposite. We need to add width so if we add one winger, I would not get rid of Theo…

As for Gnabry, I would keep him as well 🙂

Someone mentioned Campbell and I like the player but I am not sure we can factor him in our team esp. if we keep Chuba…Tough one…

78. GB, if it came to a swap between Sterling and Walcott, I’d stick to Walcott. Sterling looks too lightweight to me. Tricky? Yes a bit, but not much different to Lemon who used to play for Spuds. I honestly don’t see why he gets the rave revues.

As I think I’ve said before, with Oxlade-Chamberlain injured it’ll be interesting to see if Walcott gets to start a few games, and if he does we may see a reason to give him a new contract, or not.

Agreed Norfolk. I would like to find out about Theo first hand. I am not actually really saying he is the best thing since sliced bread and can still offer us anything significant as maybe he can’t, and maybe there are better options out there for us, but I don’t want to base judgement of him on a few cameo appearances after a long lay off.

As I have stated before I also think players that feel they have lost the managers faith will try too hard and end up forcing their game in an effort to try and impress more with the small amount of playing time provided to them. When you are looking at an attacking goal-scorer that kind of mentality can be counter productive as you want them feeling calm and clinical in those moments not like every little chance that comes their way has potentially dire consequences for them.

Arsene himself has been one of the greatest champions of this calmness in those moments which is why I am surprised that Arsene seems to have publicly indicated he is not necessarily at the top of his thoughts at the moment and has a fight on his hands, while certain other players seem to get greater opportunities and public assurances. It seems a tad unbalanced to me.

80. Bayonne Jean says:

I could definitely see Arteta moving out. Where to? Spain, where he could hook up again with Moyes, with whom he had a strong relationship. Especially if the Spanish side offers more than a year contract; makes a lot of sense for him and them.

81. BJ, if the rumours are true then he’d have to move to West Ham, as that’s were Moyse seems to be heading.

GB

No need for smilies – the tone and content of your comments were appalling those that reflected a well balanced, nice man with a good sense of humour, responding to someone back from a tiresome day and wishing to engage in a little conversation and to stir the pot! 😀

Sadly, when you frequent a blog for any length of time, one’s views become all too well known.

I have always liked Theo, and had great expectations of him – as time has gone on those expectations have not been realised.

Nonetheless, there are those who keep saying Theo’s lightning quick pace will terrify the opposition, blah de blah, and yet fail to mention that he is only quick without the ball. When he receives the ball I have lost count of the number of times he checks and passes back to some one who is not ‘speedy’ and then runs behind CBs who are twice as big as him.

Each to his own, I suppose, but that would not terrify me if I was a defender.

Should he play tomorrow — keep an eye on him, and tell me if he blazes away down the wing at pace, with the ball at his feet, and makes a great cross. Even once?

I hope he proves that I am talking bollix – but……….

Anyway – they are all simply professionals (i.e. playing for millions a year) and if player x goes, then player y will come in, and Yarmolenko would make the juices flow if we got him instead, to play and to be handsomely paid. 🙂

I am a fan — they are, with some exceptions, multi-millionaire mercenaries. Do I have sympathy? not too much, I am afraid.

Now that is a Friday rant!! 🙂

I agree with all you say RA and do recognise his deficiencies. I suppose it is a matter of opinion as to whether his strengths cancel out his deficiencies well enough. I am not certain yet but would like to see him with a bit more game time to find out.

I do like your Yolkypantso fellow though so wouldn’t say no to him.

84. That’s the stuff RA, a good old fashioned rant.

Professional mercenaries.

Bring back the maximum wage. £9.10. 6. a week.

Let’s see how many of them are willing to dive face down into the saliva sodden turf for that sort of money.

I think the Spuds are favourites for Yolkpants, and they almost had him last summer, but he was one of those guys who had more than one owner, and agreement could no be reached on the last day.

I would hate the Spuds or manure to get him.

Actually, (earlier) you are not supposed to agree with me – but to come back with all guns blazing!! 😀

In fact, I also agree with you, regarding giving Theo another while to see how he shakes off the cobwebs — it is impossible to miss a year thru’ injury and come back at the top of your game. 🙂

Come on Theo – blow those Barcodes out of the water, and become RA’s bestest buddy again!! 😀

That was addressed to GB, the wormy one! 🙂

87. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

Everything you just said about Theo with the ball is spot on. He’s not a dribbler at all. He’s a give and go type who dumps the ball off and runs towards the back 4. I’m not sure what he brings to the team, but I do know he can finish and occasionally makes decent runs in behind. At his best he’s a real handful, but I don’t know if we see it often enough. Basically, he’s a typical winger!

Wether he fits within our current set up, or is worth £100k+ a week i’m not sure. I suppose if Navas and co are getting that cash, then Theo certainly should as he’s better (although I’m not sure why he’s better!).

To sum up….I’m not sure! 🙂

Theo can’t demand an increase in wages IMO so if that is happening then I would look elsewhere. You have to earn an increase in wages by shoving the sheer hard footballing positives down the managers throat. Theo hasn’t done that or been able to do that, not necessarily through any fault of his own but sometimes that’s life. If he loves arsenal and enjoys being here then he has to be realistic as to what he can demand, if not…………

That is so true, Norfolk. Actually, I have no idea what 9.10.6 is – but given your celtic ancestry I bet it is not a lot — so let the b*stards eat cake! 🙂

FGG,

It is great to have a Gooner born and bred in Yorkshire – you may have read, some time ago, that I knew Ray Fell who, at the time, was the Chairman/President of the Leeds United Supporters club, and a really, really nice man, who said that he was tickled that a cocky, young Yank would support Arsenal, when no Yorkshireman would support a team from the South. 😀

I recently heard a Mancunian Gooner on the radio, and a more passionate Arsenal supporter you could not hear anywhere.

Most of the Mancs I know, many of them friends, are split 60 – 40 betwixt Manure and Citeh, so, like you, that makes him a top, top Gooner (as Arsene would say!) 🙂

91. Celtic ancestry RA? As far as I’ve been able to trace my forebears, none of them had ever been near Cornwall, Wales, Ireland or Scotland. Solidly East Saxon we are, with maybe a touch of Roman.

Don’t be fooled by the Norfolk bit of Norfolk Gooner, I’ve only recently moved into the county. Just under forty years ago. I’m still considered to be a “furriner” or to put it less politely a f*****g incomer. 😀

Oh, Oh – a simple misunderstanding from a simple blogger, Norfolkian, for which I offer my apologies.:-)

I have a very good memory ( like Raddish promising to sing on a vid for us at Xmas – then baling out) and could have sworn that you mentioned some allegiance to Scotland a little while back. 😉

Mind you, the BBC carried some surprising ‘news’ recently which maintained that the Celtic ‘hordes’ of Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Cornwall were actually not particularly related, and were just a diaspora of races – just like the inhabitants of England! 🙂

Political correctness, of course, ensured that they forebore to mention that everyone in Norfolk is barmy! 😀

Umm, the above does not include Prince William and his family — or any of the bootiful turkeys one eats at Xmas.

We would have beaten Juve.

Bum

95. Can’t argue with your final sentence RA, so i’m off down the bottom of the garden to commune with the the elves that live under the compost heap.

‘evening all.

96. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

There are around 300 people where i work and there must be about 10 Gooners! All of them a similar age to myself. I’m guessing that maybe the success of the early Wenger teams had a hand in driving up supporter numbers in my neck of the woods. Whilst at school I definately remember being the only Gooner and thus receiving all the flak that came when Hasselbaink, Bowyer, Viduka etc were running riot against us!

Leeds/Arsenal was building into a decent rivalry around then. Shame it disappeared so abruptly.

That’s interesting, FGG.

Why are you talking to your bum, Raddish? 🙂

99. The Cockie Monster says:

I know it`s a bit late but great stuff GN5, although I`m in the ……don’t count your chickens until they`ve hatched party !….one game at a time !.
    Lovely couple of days sunshine in the Duchy and have a slight tan which drove the local inbreds crazy and I was arrested for being in possession of a gorgeous body and loitering with shagging intent !.

In this part of the world with the mildest climate in Britain we had the eclipse let down !….too fcuking sunny here too have an effect, I sat waiting for darkness, but still had my shades on `cos it was too bright !.
    I bet the N17 lot thought what eclipse ?…,..it`s always this dark !….what`s a sun ?. That`s what happens when you are in a Total eclipse from the Arse !.
    Spoke to Transplant and he said he had his own eclipse !…..he was doing some tax returns for a woman from Angry Beaver.Com and due to a technicality involving some dodgy blue tac…his syrup slid down over his eyes only to emerge from the darkness minutes later minus his wallet !.

100. fatgingergooner says:

Martinez has joined Rotherham on an emergency loan until end of season. Hope we don’t get any GK injuries!

101. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, been working in the loft all day finishing off the boarding and fitting up lights, not a lot of headroom and lots of struts has made this job a nightmare. My Knee’s are killing me and if i banged my head once i banged it a hundred times and still i have the thoughts that Walcott is not worth the aggrow.

I see RC78 has come up with a few names and he seems to like most of them. As he say’s there arn’t that many about . I would like to say though, is that we feel we need a bit of width. but what we haven’t established is whether Wenger feels we do.

Just to clear one thing up, Walcott is not a winger, never has been never will be. He is what i would call an old fashion inside right, Theo likes to operate between the winger and Centre forward, he hates to go back in his own half, and he expects the fullback to do most of the work down the flanks then be on tap to finish the job off. Theo surprising enough is very apt at this position, and when he gets his eye in, should Wenger use him will score goals.

The drawback with Theo is, he doesn’t like contact so when he isn’t tapping them in he is waiting to tap them in, so not a lot of help when the fullback is busting a gut to get back to defend.

Arsenal are becoming a team of workers, players like Podolski who it has to be said, had one hell of a shot but never worked that hard, has been put out to grass, Le Coq was also one that seemed to do little, but since being recalled has self assessed himself and has become a team player.

I like the idea of wingers, but Arsene seems to like wing backs because they do both jobs, without i have to say not doing either as well as they could, How can they when they sprint up the field, only to sprint back when a counter is on.

Danny Wellbeck also takes up the inside left position but he does venture back in defence but Danny is no winger so either Gibbs or Monreal overlap. Wenger likes players multi tasking but it does leave a weakness at the back. My solution to this quandary is to purchase a wingman who is capable of crossing with both feet a winger who could operate on both sides, Yes i know not easy to find.

Certain teams may be easier to attack on certain sides and that’s when the switch comes in, instead of having two inside forwards we only use one, and the winger would operate whatever side.

Wenger as we know seems to play a set way, he will be loathe to change styles but this idea could still be used with the set up he uses, but we have to find the ambidextrous winger first. does that sound stupid or what.

102. arnie says:

Steve. in full agreement. oh dear! 😛

103. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Arnie, sorry mate couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer.

Me and you agreeing Arn, bloody hell, i bet i start appreciating that Music you like. Getting to the age now when i should get a man in to do jobs that need doing, trouble is, sometimes we are just to stubborn, a bit like Wenger. 🙂

104. stevepalmer1 says:

When i was playing golf, a friend of mine died, His family put a bench on one of the holes. Years later that bench was looking tired and had mould on it, and as i always looked at that bench and remembered him, i felt it needed a revamp.

One Sunday morning early, i went down the golf club and rubbed that bench down, and gave it a couple of coats of Sadelin, but a week or so later i saw that the sadelin had been rubbed down, back to the wood and had been treated with a wood wax.

Now what i learnt from that little job, was that whatever you do to try and help, its not what the people in charge may want. I heard that they moaned that someone had taken the matter into their own hands, and should have asked first. Of course i said nothing, and never touched it again. He was my friend but sometimes our idea’s are not the same as others, but i bet had he been looking down, he would have known it was meant from the heart.

Morning all

Well, “All” aka “Steve” 🙂

Off today for five days sales tour. I mean major shitballs given today is another perfect surf day and match day. Would post surf pics from last night, but can’t despite still having Chas’ detailed instructions 🙄

Will miss game today, but not so bad, as I’ll be passing through London and picking up my “assistant”. Dreadful thing is this, she’s a 21 yr old 5′ 10″ absolute corker of a part time model. Great piece of news don’t you think.

Anyway, today. How will we react to the humiliating CL exit to The Minnows from Monaco?

Surely rest for Sanchez, and a start for Theo in the absence of The Ox.

Flippin heck. Give the Theo drum a rest, will ya. 🙂

Does your “assistant” wear sequins and proudly display the next screen of your Powerpoint?

Was it moonlit surfing last night?

Chas, Why are you beating around the bush? Why don’t you just ask if the assistant has huge tits?

I’m not a massive fan of huge gazonkas, Eddie.

WHAT??!! So what was all the smug about?? I don’t like fat tits, otherwise I would definitely be a lezzer

How the hell did you do that. I’ve been trying to put up the sunset one. Why are they fuzzy?

114. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Micky, enjoy! 🙂

No idea why the photos are fuzzy.
    Email me them.

Chas

Don’t dis the assistant. She’s trying to earn some bucks while at uni. Cambridge to be exact. So seriously clever. The fact that she’s all over google as a top model as well is well….icing on the cake 🙂

And no, no links 🙂

OMG, what a photo, beautiful

Micky – but why did you employ her, because she was at Cambridge?

So she’s a top model and an “assistant” to the rich and famous and she’s only “trying” to earn some bucks while at uni.
    Damn successful, I’d say.

Cos she’s good at “selling”, Eddie.

Micky
    Are you getting the train to London this morning?

Ant and me are getting the train up to Newcastle from Doncaster.
    We’re travelling up with a Geordie mate, too. High jinks to be had.

ha ha Chas trying to google her. First effort….pathetic. Mine is good looking. Really good looking.

You’re going to the game? Fantastic. Me driving to London. Shit to carry.

Eddie
    What are you doing up so early for, anyway?
    Had some more luck with any firewalkers?

Micky
    I purposely chose the munter.

125. arnie says:

the NZ juggernaut continues

Right, off.
    Catch up on the BR MR from mobile.
    Enjoy the trip Ant ‘n Duck

Micky
    I reckon you’re trying to upload thumbnails for those photos instead of the actual photos. This means they’ll get expanded and become fuzzy.

Chas – I’m going to a christening at 11. I’m a Godmother, so mustn’t be late. You can park at my driveway, my car is at the airport

Eddie
    We’re away at Newcastle, so heading North.
    Thanks, though.

Of course!! Silly Eddie
    Have fun!

Steve
    I thought your assessment of Theo was bang on.

I liked the little bench story, too.
    At least you prompted them to sort it out, which is all you were after in the first place.
    Job done. 🙂

Right, I’m off so the blog can return to being about football. 🙂

Up The Arse.

135. arnie says:

good trip, Ant n’ Duck. up the arse

136. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Nice photo Chas, you certainly search. 🙂
    I feel that Wenger was right in what he said about our game against Monaco. It felt like a loss but in actual fact a blinding result seeing how we were away from home.

I get a funny feeling that The players will not see it like that, Getting knocked out of a competition as big as Champions League leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Yes they gave a tremendous response, to an accepted view by most, that we were out, Picking themselves up after a disappointment can take a little while. certain players faces looked tired after a huge effort, but even so it will feel like a loss.

Newcastle have not looked they have been riding on a high but i feel that Arsenal will need a bit of a lift to get them fired up, i just hope that will not be a Newcastle early goal.

We should on paper win this game without to much trouble, but i can feel that it wont be pretty and will be a right slog. I hope we can overcome this, and i feel we start from here despite our previous results.

Arsenal will need a good display, but i wonder if those legs will feel the disappointment, they felt in the week. Hopefully Wenger will have psyched them out, and got them fired up.

137. Ant says:

Ant and Duck reporting for duty..

138. Ant says:

We have a Geordie friend with us today, called Nick…just for a laugh

139. arnie says: