1. In the 164 European Cup games in which a team lost 1-3 at home in the first leg only two have gone on to win the tie.
2. In the Champions League knock out stages no team has ever overcome this deficit playing away. It has only been achieved when the team was at home for the second leg.
3. Arsenal have won their last 4 away and 8 of our last 9 PL games (12 of 14)
4. Monaco had 5 first team players missing in the first leg. Carvalho and Toulalan should return tonight.
5. Monaco have conceded only 7 goals in 14 home games in Ligue 1 this season and just 2 in 7 CL games.
6. Arsenal have scored every game bar one since Oct 2014
7. Arsenal have had 21 different goal scorers this season. We are awash with finishers.
8. If we lose tonight it will be the 5th year running we have not reached the quarter finals
9. Monaco are 1/10 on to go through and AFC 5/1 (Paddy Power). Yet AFC are favourites to win the game (13/10)
10. Arsenal have won only once on our last 6 visits to France (though Monaco is not in France is it?)
Right, that’s enough of that nonsense.
Looking at the above one would think it is a waste of time trying and Mr Wenger should select the entire Ladies team. If we are to go down in Monaco …. I leave the rest to you imagination ……
26 years ago we went to Anfield and won against the odds, We also did it when overcoming a 3-1 defeat in the final of the Inter Cities – that victory was in Black and White, but still a decade after Spurs last won the title 😀
The Stade Louis is hardly a hotbed of football fanaticism (the last time I was there was for an Eagles concert) and I expect there will be more Gooners than Monaco fans.
We have to score a few and quite frankly are as likely to score 4 or 5 as 3 so I look forward to a very attacking line -up. It is often said that in training Mr Wenger has the players switch positions so they understand the thinking required for a defensive or offensive position, as such Welbeck must be able to play CB if required. Santi is an ideal fullback; they are instructed not to tackle but to jockey and he has the perfect physique for such a job.
Cazorla Welbeck Coquelin Rosicky
Walcott Ramsey Ozil
Alexis Giroud Akpom
If we had more forwards available I would play them instead of Le Coq and Tomas.
I feel 56% confident of winning the game and 14% confident of winning the tie.
n.b. If any of the above stats are wrong, blame the internet and Margaret Thatcher.
written by Big Raddy