A stage managed draw

Morning all,

Now her in doors and myself watch lots of television, were getting to that age now, and where I have mellowed over the years, she does get her own way a lot on what we watch. Although we are both Gooner’s and I do believe she has an interest in Arsenal, but not like I do. Of course we watch Arsenal when we play, whether on TV or I have a stream box when its not on normal TV. She realises that everything else makes way for Arsenal games, and with recorders now available, she doesn’t miss anything she would rather watch.

We do watch a lot of reality TV programmes, she likes them all, I am not so keen and either blog or read while these programs are on.  Having said that I do end up watching quite a bit. What I have noticed is how fixed these programs seem to be. A show that’s on for a series or a few weeks, takes a few days or so, and then expects people to phone in and vote at a nominal fee.

Now the point of this post is to ask other people, if they feel the same as me, that the outcome of the phone calls, are they the actual peoples votes, or are these programs stage managed? Many supporters will ask why a post like this is on a football blog and the reason for this is, that I wonder if football matches are stage managed as well.

It seems to me that football attracts lots of money businesses, Sky, BT and many others. The staggering amounts of billions to screen live football has hit new highs, and when can you watch a game without a betting firm trying to get you to place a wager? Now I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable supporter, I don’t only watch Arsenal, so I feel I have a general understanding of most of the teams in the Premiership. I know what kind of talent most teams have and having played the game myself, feel I have a decent understanding of the modern rules.

Now I watch my own team the most, so feel I know quite a bit about the quality of the team, Arsene Wenger as we all keep saying has worked wonders over the years, with a bit of a tight budget, and we have done fairly well when you consider there are 20 teams in the league. I look at some of our games, and knowing the talent wonder why we are not thrashing some sides. But we never ever seem to do that. Many will say that all premier sides are all very close talent wise, but that is not the case as budgets are different across the board

What I am wondering is whether this league is being stage managed, where all club owners who are all earning good profits, managers and players are earning thousands more than everyday working people, would it not be prudent to ask could this all be a ploy to get the supporters money.

Rules are in place to make the game fair, or that is what it was before new rules came in. The offside rule can be interpreted two ways which is not clear cut to the supporter. It is quite possible to remove a player from the field any time a referee wanted to so could easily change the direction a game has been going in.

Now of course when looking at the league, you often find that the club who have spent the most are normally up the top half of the league, and normally finish in the European qualifying places. What I seem to notice specially in cup games is how the bigger club seem to get the rub of decisions, free kicks and the like. Now of course I realise that bigger clubs have spent more and usually have the better players so will be head and shoulders better, but I still think that decisions still go in favour of the big clubs.

I have to ask myself why this seems to be the case and I would only answer who I would rather watch if I had the choice. The FA cup is an old old old English competition history that goes back forever, look at the list of winners and you will see a few names on there that you would never had thought, but there all the same. The FA cup is known for its giant killing and fans who support lower division teams have watched their team win games that on paper they shouldn’t. Of course usually the better teams come out winners and the smaller clubs have had their five minutes of fame, but you do still see results that surprise.

Before the draw for the next round of the FA Cup, we all wondered who we would get, did any of you expect to meet either Liverpool or Manchester United, of course you did, and why did you, because you know that the television people want it that way. What grabs the most attention, a game against real competition with an undercurrent of history or a game against a team in the lower division. before United’s game and the draw , as soon as I saw a possible draw of United and Arsenal I knew who would be our opponents and I bet you did too.

The money generated by a game of this magnitude I knew it wouldn’t be screened on BT Sport, maybe Sky, but no it’s the BBC that gets the rights. Stage managed, of course it was. Will we receive the kind of decisions United got against Preston NE, I doubt it, this will be a stage managed fight of the titans, and of course whoever goes through will no doubt find another stage managed draw.

Written by Steve Palmer

44 Responses to A stage managed draw

You have my sympathy Steve

I once dated a girl obsessed with reality TV. The only way I could get sex was talking in an Ant & Dec accent and performing a strictly come dancing Rumba

The final straw came when I injured my groin performing the splits and ended up pleading “call an ambulance pet, i canne feel ne tatties”

Steve, forgive my thickness, but are you suggesting certain elements of the game are fixed?

i dont think cup draws are fixed and if refs are bent?, they only do it behind there wives back.

We are very lucky in this respect. A few years back in Crete an Athenian ref who had been bribed with a six foot Russian women and a season ticket for free taramasalata was chased round the island for 72 hours, only escaping justice by making people steer clear by pretending he was a tax collector.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Steve, one of us has killed the blog.

is it me with my inane ramblings, crap jokes, and desperation for attention? Or is it you? Pretending not to enjoy scantily dressed women on Strictly come dancing when we all know thats when you enjoy polishing your fishing rod.

Nice one, Steve.

I hardly watch any television. I can never find anything I feel might be worth watching.
    Storage Hunters was amusing for a couple of programmes. Pointless is perfectly named. JC likes Road Wars but it makes him think the world is a dangerous and nasty place with everybody out to rip him off. He still can’t understand why he gets tail-gated and flashed when travelling at 15 mph on his weekly trip up the Co-op.

I had a feeling we’d get the mancs in the draw as well. This was partly due to the fact that we’ve had pretty good draws recently and were due a dodgy one. I doubt the draw was fixed. We’ll probably have to beat the mancs and dippers to win the cup this year, so why not test ourselves now. Beating them at the Cowshed would be something, wouldn’t it? 🙂

The club have arranged subsidised train or coach transport for those who were going to struggle to get back from Manchester. (£10 coach return, 1st class train return £30, cattle class £20) So fair play to them. . They’re on sale to silver and red members in the next couple of days as well, so no excuse for not selling our 8,600 tickets (apart from the ludicrous decision to stage it on a Monday night).

Bring it on.

I suspect you’re right about the bigger teams getting an unconscious bias from the refs when playing lower league opponents. Then again, Dowd is just incompetent, so who knows?

Watch and learn Arsenal.

Steve. Thanks for the post.

Is it bent? Not in England.

Why are there strange results? Because the players are human. And of course, luck plays a major role (doesn’t it Rasp!)

Was the FAC draw fixed? Possibly -, it makes sense to work the Steve G narrative and get rid of one of their strongest rivals. Plus the media love an underdog to reach the semi-finals.

7. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Been fishing all day so my apologies, thank you guys for your comments, Terry the blog being dead has nothing to do with you mate Quality . People log on to read your gems, 🙂

Raddy, A bent draw would you Adam an Eve it. Tough to fiddle televised draws but they could if they wanted 🙂

You too Chas i tried to comment about the trveling but for some reason my password wouldn’t go through, Traveling Gooners may now get the transport they should have got in the first place.

Steve. Of course they can cheat. I can think of a few methods and I am as honest as the day is long (on Dec 22nd)

9. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya Raddy. I suppose in all comps you have to play decent teams at some point, it just seems we get stumbling blocks every year thats all, Not that United will stop us 🙂

I would have preferred to play them at home but as you say we will still bat them . The MU luck cannot continue indefinitely

11. stevepalmer1 says:

Depends on the ref, Rules are there to be stretched,

here we go, steve palmer 1 and his conspiracy theories 🙂 I am going to introduce you to my son’s employee who is sure the whole Earth Show is staged by the aliens. If you listen to him for a couple of hours he actually begins to make sense 🙂

I think that this day and age it would be extremely difficult and even more dangerous to manipulate any football games, fixtures, participants or referees. I therefore vote No!

steve – and as for the reality TV being staged – hallelujah!!! Thank Dennis for that!! It would be a real catastrophy if the moronic participants were real people grrrrr…. perish the thought

14. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Eddie,
    I have to admit That some of the people on those shows i could easily hate. How they get people watching i honestly dont know maybe most of them are like me someone in the family is addicted to them.

I have a few Alien Theory’s of my own Eddie, but i dont think you would last a couple of hours

15. IanRealGunner says:

I bet Mike Dean is the ref for the FA Cup game

16. stevepalmer1 says:

I reckon you have hit the nail on the head there Ian

IanReal – and that’s your conspiracy theory? More plausible than the aliens, I give you that 🙂

18. stevepalmer1 says:

You going up there Eddie

Morning all, sorry work has taken precedence last few days for a change and I’ve really had to knuckle down.

Heard an old Brian Clough quote recently about why FA Cup shocks happen. His view was that players of a 4th division and 1st division team were not that different, that they both trained 5 days a week, they could all pass, sscore goals, defend, and if playing at their full potential any 4th division team could give a 1st division side a game. The only reason one group of players were in the first division and the others in the 4th division was consistency, the players in the first division could play at their full potential week in week out.

This still holds today, what makes Ronaldo and Messi the best? The fact that they do it every single game. The same in the PL why do we always finish in the top 4, because we are more consistent.

As for draws being fixed, this goes down to human perception of randomness, we could have played Preston. if a draw pot was made up of four teams from each division the balls would be AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD. A truly random order of balls being removed would be ABBCCCDADDCBAAB. Unfortunately us humans read patterns when they are not there and we fail to understand random odds we see a pattern that isn’t there. We think because an A hasn’t come out for 4 balls that it has more chance of being next yet it doesn’t and we think conspiracy. (Yes I just read article from BBC on random playlists…..Spotify have changed their algorithms to make the randomness feel more random to humans as previously people complained that they forgot too many of one genre in a row, or the same artist two songs in a row).

Further odds for A following pattern above

First ball – 1 in 4 (4As 16 total)
    Second – 1 in 5 (3As 15 total)
    Third – 3 in 14
    Fourth – 3 in 13
    Fifth- back to 1 in 4 (3As 12 total)
    Sixth – 3 in 13

There is always a greater chance of something other than A being pulled out.until you get to the last three balls

Why Arsene gets it:

“[As a manager] with a team you have to be severe when you win and sometimes be helpful when the team loses

Not often we see the word “algorithms” in a football comment. Thanks GIE.

Game Day. Time to get writing ….

Match Day Motning to one and all.

Thanks Steve. Friday is a big workday, and yesterday was a whoppa with all the fixings.

Today I see as the beginning of the end. We move to three games a week with the CL kicking in. Great that The Ox and Jack are back’ish.

Bloody hell
    Don’t do this to me BT and muck about with my connection onatch day 😡

Does Arsene start rotating today?

Should do. Monaco is a must win 🙂

26. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Thanks GIE, your analysis is probably right, although slightly confusing to me but i get your point. Yes of course Humans always see patterns, and randomness is often confusing, Fate has a part to play with draw’s but it is also a money making business, and that seems to change a lot of peoples perception.

I suppose in all walks of life Randomness is just that Random. 🙂

I’m having problems with my wi fi network and connection here…. could be atmospheric? Will have to watch the game today at the bar… what a shame, but will take my laptop with me and write my Sunday blog whilst watching the game. May get some photos in to 🙂
    Conspiracies……… they are all over the place, the world is full of them, but in football, not too sure about that.

Monaco IS a must-win if I am going to see us in Europe this season.

29. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Raddy, don’t you think that the level we are at, that all games are must win games, At the start of the season games are must win just to stay at the top as soon as the cup games come round must win again, Champions league with home and away games don’t seem quite as must win as always the return to turn the tables,

Every body likes to be in good position come Christmas and then the run down you must be in good position for European qualification. I see every game as must win, of course it seems more important with the top teams i hate us losing to them and worst of all the filth, broke my heart that result, and the way we lost also hurt deeply.

The law of averages says you will lose some of your games, if its against the top teams then the reality sets in that were not as good as them, against the bottom teams embarrassment sets in, of course Cloughie was right, on the day anybody can win, but i always see conspiracy but thats just me

Steve. You are right – every game is a must win, starting today.

On this day 9 years ago…..

32. Hope Raddy has managed to get out of bed, eat his muesli and drink his green tea and is now writing his pre-match 🙂

Ok
    Apart from me everyone has gone out now
    You can put up the BRw 😄

37. ‘ morning to anybody who happens to be around.

No luck with the slightly earlier than normal pre-match then.

I’m off out for the rest of the day. Hope for a win, if we are serious about a top four finish tdday is a must win game.

Just found a Raddy special in drafts …….. back in a min

39. ………… New Post everyone ……………….

40. Arthur Schopenhauer says:

Great article. I saw some interesting research recently that showed that £5 billion is bet on a top four premier league game. A referee earns just £2,000 for one premier league game. Easy to see how some bias might creep in! The betting companies would only need to offer £10,000 to swing a result.

Also Mike Riley is a Man U fan and so things have to swing their way or the referee damages his career.

41. tub.io says: