Goodbye Wojciech Szczesny

Many regular readers of this blog will know that I have never been a great fan of my compatriot Wojciech Szczesny. There were many reasons for my disapproval of him, but most were based on the knowledge of his father’s career – average keeper, arrogant and mouthy. From the start Wojciech reminded me of his Dad. But I am a fair person and decided to give him a chance and it seemed he rewarded me for that. Since replacing Fabianski in goal, he has grown from strength to strength and most fellow Gunners were delighted with his performances.

untitled

Exactly 4 years ago he became our new No 1. Since then we have witnessed a true rollercoaster of a career, culminating in his disastrous performance against Southampton earlier this month. Rumours followed that Wenger had dropped him there and then as our first choice keeper and that was confirmed by Ospina’s appearance in the next few fixtures while Szczesny returned in the FA Cup. As we know Wenger always plays number 2 keeper in FA games. Do we have a permanent new No 1 or will Szczesny return to reclaim his place? And most importantly – do we want him to return?

The media and the fans have  varied views on Szczesny’s career. It has almost become a norm that after a few good games he fails completely – stupid mistakes, lack of concentration, wrong decision or  even a red card. Other players cannot possibly feel safe in front of a goalie with such a poor level of consistency.

Some claim that he is suffering from the same virus that made van Persie and Cesc move to clubs where they have better chances to achieve full potential and win trophies (more money). Others argue that Wojtek is an average keeper and will never be world class. He still makes the same errors as he did 4 years ago and his personality will always get in the way of true progress.

Psychological profiling is nowadays a part of the modern selection process for all top professionals, including footballers and I am sure that Szczesny must have been assessed too. I therefore wonder if his temperament has been ignored or deemed as no issue. Or did Szczesny became nervous after joining the Arsenal? By the same token we can discuss our previous number one, Lukasz Fabianski nicknamed ‘Flappy Hands Fabianski’. Lukasz seldom appeared cool, calm and collected while at the Emirates. Yet he seems to be doing well at Swansea.

Szczesny’s last EPL appearance was a complete disaster. His performance was below par and he cost us valuable 3 points. His body language after the game and failure to even look at the defenders were a sure sign that he knew he let us down. To calm the nerves he had a fag in the changing rooms, right under the nose of Wenger, known to be obsessed with a healthy life style of his employees.  Was it a provocation on WS’s part? Does he want to leave?

The Pole signed a new 5 year long contract in November 2013 making him one of the best paid goalkeepers in the world. Wenger was happy, we were happy and I am sure Szczesny was delighted. But that was more than a year ago, a long time in the short career of a footballer. This time last year Szczesny’s stats were better than De Gea’s, but this certainly is not the case this season. Even Fabianski and Vito Mannone seem to be outperforming Wojciech.

I don’t think I need to say anymore on the subject. I think that Szczesny should leave, don’t you?

Written by Eddie

136 Responses to Goodbye Wojciech Szczesny

Peaches – did you check the grammar?! I didn’t 😦

2. Lait says:

Seriously think so too. I have really his style of goalkeeping !

I’ve sorted it Eddie

4. Lait says:

I have NEVER REALLY liked his style of goal-keeping

5. Zigzagengineer says:

No I don’t agree. Szczesny is an excellent keeper and he deserves another chance. All keepers make mistakes including deGea and Cortuois. He is still young and will get better in time. Never mind his father. I sat behind his family when we played Legia in Warsaw and can tell you his mum, brother and Gradfather are all lovely people.

Thanks rasp.

Lait – same here. Many gunners thought that a good goalie needs a degree of arrogance and confidence, but I disagree. Give me De Gea or Lloris anyday

Eddie

Fantastic post, and ages (if ever) that we’ve had a goalie topic.

Given his age, I think he has everything to be a top, top keeper, but as you say attitude is vital, and that’s impossible for me to answer. I suspect Arsene dropped him for the fag incident, as the defenders had an equally atrocious game that day.

It would be fascinating to know what other first teamers think of Wojciech The Man

8. eldergooner says:

Very interesting post Eddie, thank you. While I share some of your reservations about him , without any knowledge of his Father , I do think there is a good goalkeeper in there. His distribution is more often than not rubbish but he’s a good “stopper”.He was, I thought , Immense quite recently – was it against Stoke – where he came and claimed every ball in his area and he really impressed me and several other gooners who watched it with me – but sadly that sort of show is the exception rather than the rule. As keepers don’t seem to become top class until quite late – why is that – I think it’s probably too soon to write him off. Let’s see how he progresses over the next 12 months now that he appears to be getting some quality competition for the number 1 spot. I hope he succeeds with us as the better the competition for places then the better the team.

Thanks Eddie, I agree a keeper has to exude an air of calm authority that gives confidence to his back four. I don’t think Sz does this at the moment – you always feel that he’s prone to a mistake when he’s got the ball at his feet and an opposing player is bearing down on him.

10. Ed James says:

You seem to completely disregard the fact that following the Southampton game, his father made a perfectly valid point regarding the defence in front of WS.

A keeper cannot make up for a poor defence, and when the defence in front of him is a shambles then IMO it’s completely unfair to make him the scapegoat.

The same could be said of Walcott. HE still makes the same mistake he did a few years ago, cheaply giving away possession and running down dead-ends. Sure he has improved, and his finished especially has become excellent, but he’s still some way off being the finished article. So how is this different to WS?

Go and do a little more research and you will find that keepers typically peak much later in their careers than outfield players. Seaman, Lehman, Cech, all played their best in their early thirties.

If you don’t like WS, fine, but it seems this dislike of him has clouded your judgement.

11. RC78 says:

I am in two minds about him…He can be great but he can also suck. He is too big for his boots and he gets too cocky but he can also bounce back…If he leaves, I won’t miss him but we would need it to find a strong GK. Casillas has lost his superb so we would have to find another GK available this summer with great credentials and that can basically also impose himself physically in the box…Not that many…Ruffier from St-Etienne is a great GK and is valued at 5 Mln pounds but he may not be physical enough. Handonovic from Inter Milan would be great….

12. AmosCP says:

Szc may have finally fulfilled your dream for now but i believe he will rise above the present situation. Arrogant, he is but he knows how to apply lessons learnt. Szc will return. Fate seems to be on his side. Many of us are quick to crucify our players as soon as they fulfill our negative dreams.

I am enjoying the competition between szc and Osp. Fabianski and Manonne were no competition to Szc. Comparing them to him is a waste of comparism.

13. RC78 says:

Main issue with PiG is that his decision-making is poor…

Now – I would say that De Gea, Courtois, Ter Stegen are very young and very talented GK….

14. RC78 says:

As for Walcott – I think he is great as Right Forward but he needs to really get better as Right Winger, especially his crossing…He dribbles past players but his crossing is relatively poor and his passing too predictable. He needs to use more of the cut back passes when he is in the box and do less of the direct pass in front of goals because GK and CD expect it so much…He needs to mix it up and he needs to be better at his outside shot…

Great having comments from some new and some rare posters.

As I mentioned about the defenders during the Southampton game, I think others have cost us way more goals than poor goalkeeping this season, leaving WS with no chance.

That is different to brilliant attacking play or a strike that leaves the keeper with no chance.

Keep him I vote, unless he causes bad vibes in the dressing room.

16. RC78 says:

I think WS is not helped by his defense in many cases but this season, he is not proved to be decisive and he has proven to make poor decisions…I am happy with benching him – hope it will bruise his MASSIVE ego and help him focus on getting better

17. ‘morning all,

Well done Eddie, that should get a good debate going.

Hey! Rasp, couldn’t we have a poll, should our PiG go or should he stay?

I’m, yet to be convinced by young Wojciech, he’s certainly made some right bloomers, but he’s also pulled off some fine saves.

Playing behind Arsene’s mix-and-match defence must be a nightmare, add to that the lack of a decent holding mid-fielder and it is no wonder he panics at times.

Given the time and money already invested in Szczesny, unless a very good bid for him is received I can’t see him being offloaded but, if he has been demoted to number two, he may agitate for a transfer away.

18. RC78 says:

PiG will not stay at Nr.2…so he will hand in a transfer request if he is Nr.2…If we get 10-15 Mln EUR for him, let him go and bring in Handanovic from Inter or Ruffier from St-Etienne.

I hope that he gets better and really becomes the GK that AW sees in him but:

1. He might not have the patience to ply his trade on the bench;
    2. He might never fulfil his potential.

He is quite an idiot and so is his dad so I expect him to hand in a transfer request except if he claims back the nr. 1 spot

Its a bit late for a poll Norfolk as Eddie’s post has already had 3,00 hits!

I think we have to accept that being ‘a good shot stopper’ is a basic requirement of all PL keepers. Judgement, positioning, distribution and bravery are the extras that make the difference between a good and a great keeper.

I quite like Sz and wouldn’t want to write him off just yet, but I certainly would stick with Ospina as number 1 choice – its up to Sz to fight for his place.

Yes 3,000 NG. This will be the most viewed post of the year so far. Naming a player in the title always attracts hits, naming a controversial player gets you even more 🙂

22. Eddie in! Eddie in!

Brilliant!!

Ed James – je suis Eddie 🙂 I might be totally wrong but I have a right to have an opinion 🙂
    You say “You seem to completely disregard the fact that following the Southampton game, his father made a perfectly valid point regarding the defence in front of WS” and you hit the nail on the head! What is Szczesny’s father doing meddling in Arsenal’s affairs? Wojtek gets paid £100k a week and his daddy has to defend him?? Pleeeeease Ed, how would you feel if you fecked up at work and your mum called in to make excuses?

24. I do love to stir it up.

Eddie shouldn’t Szczesny’s dad have an opinion? 😀

25. RC78 says:

Transfer Alert: Witsel set to join Juventus…Which means that Juve is preparing for the sale of either Pogba or Vidal…

Utd may land Vidal…

Quick note: Witsel wanted to join Utd or Arsenal and the EPL. He would fit our team well

Other news: Arteta extends his stay with us for a year…which means that we will not retain Flamini

Woooo, quality post Eddie.

Great subject, but one I really don’t know much about. The problem for me is that little cannon on his chest when he plays in goal with all those other players wearing red and white shirts in front of him. Such things bring out the loyal dog in me and I can’t help but defend him.

I think it would be an horrendous mistake to let him go, although I don’t think I have to worry as I expect him to be with us for another 10 years and that thought does not upset me.

27. aizedlittlemozart says:

golden glove winner/holder & we want him to go? nope!….not me no sir.

he had a great season last year cos the defence(back 4) was steady by & large.

this season?…not so…

Ospina has returned (remember he played in that COC game against the saints) in a period coinciding with kos’ return & invariably a defensive solidity. so, we can’t say definitely that he’s the better option. I remember when Martinez was being hailed as better after a few clean sheets too.

Woj is a great keeper for me, seeing as he has been learning on the job without any senior mentor. & @ this point I think it’s late for that too.

he is also an academy product…another big plus for him from where I stand.

long & short is….I vote he stays.

28. aizedlittlemozart says:

good post s̶a̶n̶t̶i̶ Eddie by the way

29. The Cockie Monster says:

No problem with Sir Chesney……he didn`t get the knighthood for nothing !.

To tell the truth, E va va vonne !……I have more issue with your allegiance on the last post for wanting the Spuds to win the COC !……disgrace !……obviously you do not have genuine spud hating Arsenal DNA in your blood !……go wash your mouth out and then I`ll put some proper DNA in you !. hahaha

PS………………that goes for any other deranged fcukers as well !. hahaha

30. RC78 says:

littlemozart – I largely agree with you but I do not think that he will want to stay to fight for his place. He wants to be Nr. 1 and if he does not have this guarantee, he will hand in a transfer request.

Great firebrand post from you Eddie. Should we expect anything less??? I do like a controversial one.

It is interesting to note how different fans view the deficiencies within a club when things have gone wrong. Some look more towards the owners or board, some look towards the manager and some look towards the players.

Over the last few years I have looked more at our recruitment policies, coaching, and tactics and formations as being where we have have let ourselves down. As such I feel the board and manager have been more responsible than any individual player. Just my opinion of course.

As such I am with aized on this one. Szc has been prone to a couple of errors but similarly we could argue that, more than any other keeper at a top club, he has been playing behind a shambles of a defence in terms of its organisation and shape. He has been put into situations where he has been forced to make decisions that other top keepers don’t have to because their defence doesn’t expose them to that situation so often. In many games he has arguably been MOTM as well.

That is not to fully excuse him from those rush of blood to the head errors, which he will have to iron out from his game, but it is a bit too soon to write him off IMO.

As Micky said the defensive cohesion and organisation was a shambles at Southampton but look at how well they got it sorted out for the Man City game for Ospina. If they had swapped games would the situation have reversed itself.

It is never as easy as just looking at two players in the same position from one game to the next where the performance and results were vastly different. That is even more so at Arsenal where we probably have the most extremes in terms of performances from one game to the next.

It is the same with Jack IMO. If he plays poorly in a game where the whole team were poor and the next game we are great with a different player in his position is it because they are suddenly the better player? For that to be the case it would have to be the only changing factor, i.e the rest of the team is the same and lines up in the same formation with the same tactics. Often when we have been poor we change a variety of factors in terms of tactics formation and other players so the next player is the beneficiary of playing in a more professionally set up team across the board.

Cheers, Eddie, for the fine post.

I’d give him a couple more seasons to prove himself.
    He just needs a little sliced off his ego, maybe.

I’d not seen this before and found it very interesting.

Great comment as always GoonrB 😛

As a result, I am revising my stance to say that we should rotate Ospina and Sz for the time being, not meaning alternate, but simply let both have a short run of games to see who is the in-form player.

We don’t know whether Sz was dropped for the fag incident or on grounds of form – or both?

This will be a test of character for Sz. If he doesn’t feel it is fair for Arsenal to give a chance to another keeper then his ego may be getting the better of him – alternatively, we don’t want to break his spirit.

It would be unfair to drop Ospina just because he let’s in a shot he would be expected to save, all keepers do it. It’s a tough one, we’d have to have an insight into how the players react in training to know what’s to be done.

It would appear that we have 2 keepers with slightly different strengths but overall are at about the same level.

Another Szcz comp from last season.
    I realise that everyone looks good on youtube (apart from Soldado).
    Sometimes it’s worth remembering all the points he may have saved us as well as those he’s gifted the oppo.

A super Post, Teddy, and you can certainly show Rasper a thing or two about prose with masterful grammar and spelling!! 😀

I agree with one or two others that your personal dislike of Chezzer has coloured your feelings about him.

All players have their ups and downs during a season, as do we all, but GKs are rather more exposed than their other teammates and bear the brunt of abuse.

The fact is that the total defense stand or fall together, and in that calamitous game against S’Hampton they all fell together.

In addition, to fault him for being ‘arrogant’ [and I do not know how you know that – as I do not know if that is true] is a strange way to judge a player.
    Personal attributes should not be used to judge a player, as they have little effect on a players skill level.
    Many of the most despicable players, in a subjective opinion, have also been among the top football players of their generation.

Chezzer will come good, even tho’ he has seemingly slipped from his own high standards for the moment.

Teddy Eddie, your quality Post has elicited a quality response from a number of bloggers, and in my case altho’ I do not agree with you, I think you have done just what Posts are all about and got us chatting.

Well done – again!! 🙂

Rasp,

When you say; -“we should rotate Ospina and Sz, for the time being, not meaning alternate” — do you mean to spin them vertically on their axes, and let Ospina stay as No.1, or to lay them both horizontally and rotate them like a side of beef in front of an open fire?

We need to know — and will it do them any good? 🙂

Chas, @ 2:04 — agreed! 🙂

Yes exactly that Redders. Put them in a giant centrifuge and spin them until their eyes bulge 🙂

I do think we should put a large smelly sock in Sz senior’s mouth. He may think he’s supporting his son, but actually he’s making things worse for chezzer. Criticising our defenders isn’t going to improve Sz’s relationship with the other players.

Oh dear, looks like Alexis is carrying a hamstring injury 😦

AW ….. “The squad will be exactly the same as last Sunday [v Brighton]. The only uncertainty we have is Alexis Sanchez who has a hamstring concern, and that will be decided on Saturday. He might be out for Sunday. The only [other] difference is that Gabriel is available and we’ll check him how he is physically but he should be alright to be available.”

I say rest him for Villa if there’s a chance he could be fit for totnum

rasp @ 3:27 – absolutely! How can you have respect for a top pro when he needs his Daddy to fight his corner? And upset a few people in the process.

My son needs me to speak Polish to someone from time to time on matters related to his business, but he always asks me not to say I am his mum or he will look like a doughnut 🙂

Arsenal are prepared to offer crazy money for Suarez pending his medical with a dentist 🙂 to remove front teeth no doubt 🙂

44. I see Gabriel Armando de Abreu, aka Paulista, has been given the number 5 shirt. Now who was it had that number before? 😀

NG re your previous question – no 🙂 no right whatsoever 🙂

TV, Keown and Bouldie

46. Breaking News! Breaking News!

Polish goal keeper’s father to appeal to the European Court of Human Rights over denial of freedom to express an opinion, by Eddie.

NG 🙂 I’d better withdraw that comment. Ok, here is the correction – Szczesny’s father has every right to an opinion, but sometimes it is wiser not to voice them.

“Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt”

48. RC78 says:

Cuadrado on Man Utd Radar as well…

RVP
    Mata
    Di Maria Rooney Cuadrado
    Carrick
    Blind Rojo Jones Rafael
    De Gea

Bench also looking strong…

Now on that, Eddie, I absolutely agree!! 🙂

Eddie. Fine post.

I am a beliver in Szczesny and think he is a fine GK who is still learning his trade. IMO he will become and Arsenal great. Mr Wenger is clearly concerned about his mental state and it does no harm to see how good Ospina can be.

Nothing wrong with having two quality GK’s,

51. Eddie, I’m staying Schtum from now on. 😀

In fairness to the PIG’s dad he is not the only parent who feels the need to defend his son, altho’ I agree it is very unedifying.

I have been in the habit of going for a walk at week-end and also watching both junior and pub teams as I walk by the public pitches.

The language of the parents supporting their offspring — sometimes the players’ moms as well as their dads — has been absolutely poisonous.

It took me a long time to realise that some of the cringe-worthy and excoriating comments were not aimed at an opposition player at all, but were instead being used to ‘encourage’ their own children.

Surely it is unacceptable abuse to shout at an angelic looking 10 year old kid writhing in agony to, “show some effing balls you snidey little sh*t — get up and ‘king smash ‘im”, or to season so much creative invective by liberally using the banned “C” word as a descriptive noun — when clearly there is no such similarity, at all? 🙂

Given the choice, I think the proud, over-protective parent defending his or her son is to be preferred — however much it makes the son cringe with embarrassment. And I bet Chezzer tells his dad to shut up. 🙂

Hi Schtum,

I think I preferred you as Norfolk’s Grizzly Gooner. 🙂

55. wally says:

@LB and Rasp
    from yesterday
    In the past wenger has had a say in what he’s willing to pay for player. Certainly 20mm Euros for a player with such little pedigree is something he would have shied away from.
    Perhaps Gazidis has taken the financial side away from wenger, if so even better.

57. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all;
    Although i agree with parts of your post Eddie, I am also unsure of Ospina as well. Czez has had me writhing in my seat at times, Wenger has always had a soft spot for Czez but i believe it is his height that Wenger likes. Czez i have to say makes mistakes that a young keeper that has played the amount of games he has, is in my mind enough to want to see him out,

Having said that, Ospina also worries me, he has in all fairness had a few clean sheets but its his handling that seems to be a problem, so far he has been able to grasp the ball back but it still seems a problem. I do like his the way he goes about his business and his distribution, he kicks well and seems calm when under pressure but i would like to see safer hands.

Czezesney on the other hand is a great shot stopper, quick reflexes although i don’t believe he commands his box well enough, Czez seems to scramble for balls when he has decided to punch, where with his height i would like to see him position himself better and catch the ball, at six feet seven i don’t understand why he cannot pluck all balls out of the air.

I don’t believe he kicks the ball naturally, every time a ball is passed back he seems to need a run up before he kicks, i also don’t like the rushing out Leyman style.

I feel that he is liked in the changing rooms and mixes well with the team but he makes them nervy at times and me too. I haven’t seen enough of Martinez but from what i have seen he is a good back up but i still don’t think we have a no 1 keeper

59. Northbank1969 says:

Very frustrating at the moment… I try to make a post and it doesn,t post…………….. Eddie is right; we made a choice about a pole and it was a wrong one, we shoiuld havz kept Flappy and sold chezney

If you type a comment and when you hit ‘Post Comment’, you end up at the Arsenal Arsenal banner instead of your comment being posted and displayed, hit the ‘back’ button and your comment will still be in the comment box on the previous screen.
    Copy it, refresh the screen and try again.
    You’ll have to add a full stop or something similar else you’ll get the ‘duplicate comment detected’ rubbish even though the first one hasn’t appeared.

This is especially useful if you’ve typed a long comment which has seemingly disappeared into the ether.

Hope it helps.

there is one for you steve – a secret handshake

62. Who are you preaching to Chas?

aha nb, hello! I was thinking about you lately and something doesn’t add up. I have never been on a romantic weekend away (didit never booked the Travellodge), but I don’t think I would be too happy if my romantic weekend partner was blogging.

64. arnie says:

Lovely one, Eddie. 🙂 We know that Szcz is a somewhat touchy topic for you, and this is a very heartfelt post. Thank you. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Personally, I think Szcz is a good GK. He is young and may yet become a great GK. However, IMO two things have happened in the recent past that have put his progression into first gear.

First, his co-ordination with the back 4 has decreased. Somehow, he seems to have lost confidence in our defenders and our defenders likewise on him. He has been watching too many videos of Neuer and think he can do one better by rushing out every time BFG is out of position.

Unfortunately, Szcz is no Neuer, not yet anyway. His eagerness to rush out has cost us important games, goals yes, but more importantly, red cards. I am sure all of us have vivid memories of these incidents. They are painful, and I will not go over them.

Szcz’s distribution was never top drawer, but his mistakes in advancing has now made him a bit of a liability.

Second, his attitude seems to be a playboy style. It is about conduct on the field, interaction with team mates, and conduct off the field as well. Eddie points towards this issue, and IMO very rightly so.

Having an ocassional fag is OK, perhaps, but doing so in an opposition dressing room is a serious offence. It is also illegal. Public spaces in Britain are smoke free, and the adverse reputational effect of such activity is something that the club can do without.

Not to mention the fact that this came after a woeful performance. He needs to sort himself out. Period.

Here comes Ospina. Nothing wrong with competition. In fact, in the long run it may be beneficial for Szcz. I like young guys who accept such challenges. If he thinks he is above competition, it will be good luck and good bye, but otherwise this can only be good.

Bottom line. Szcz has a future in Arsenal, but it depends on his hard work and personality. I would like to see him stay. Provided his attitude is correct, in which respect Arsene is the best judge.

COYG. 🙂

Apologies, NB69, I didn’t realise I was preaching.

I thought I was just sharing what was going on on twitter re: Gary Neville’s comment about the Costa stamp.

I’ll desist.

66. Eddie, I haven’t been blogging; perhaps you haven’t noticed but I’ve been missing in action for a couple of days… but anyway, who said it was a romantic weekend… it’s a week in the mountings, anything goes 🙂

If you’re talking about my hopefully helpful comment about disappearing comments, then I unreservedly withdraw any advice.

top comment arnie, cheers!

69. Sorry chas… I thought your comment was aimed at me ha ha

70. arnie says:

Evonne. 🙂

Chas. That is useful for me. ta. 🙂

Hi arnie, 🙂

Good to see you back and firing on all cylinders!!

My only disappointment is that I actually understand exactly what you were saying and there is no room for arguing!!!!! 😀

Chas, I Iike you sisting — so please no desisting required!! 🙂

And now I understand why you propagate the blog with full stops, Chas.

I just thought you had blog stutter! 🙂

Another blinding column from Tim Stillman.
    (Apologies if my recommendation is seen as preaching 🙂 )

75. arnie says:

Redders. no argument, oh dear! 😛

76. arnie says:

Message received loud and clear. Back now to speaking from my arse! 😛

Diversity and disagreement are key to a successful blog.

78. stevepalmer1 says:

Eddie, You saw the same handshake as me and i must admit it did make me wonder, looked a little bit too friendly to me, not a thank you for reffing handshake at all, more of see you later for a pint handshake to me. 🙂

Now i do not agree with Diego Costa’s 3 match ban, sure he did wrong and it should have been delt with at the time but the officials didn’t see it.

If you judge a player after a match and issue a 3 match ban then if an offside goal has knocked you out of the cup surely the goal shoudn’t stand but they will not take the goal away.

Judgement after the game if used should be for all aspects of the game.

I go one step further steve – ref apologised to ivanovic for giving him the card as it was not in the script for the game. He is being paid by Ruski

80. stevepalmer1 says:

🙂

Norhtbank.

“it’s a week in the mountings, anything goes”

They say it’s all in a word!!

82. stevepalmer1 says:

Just read that Sanchez has a hamstring problem which may keep him out for a little while, Is Wenger enforcing Sanchez to have a rest for his own good or what.

83. fatgingergooner says:

I reckon Szscesny will be our number 1 keeper for a long time to come.

Sometimes arrogant players need putting in their place in order to understand they need to work just as hard as everyone else. Szscesny now knows he has Ospina and Martinez snapping at his heels, and that can only be a good thing.

If he reacts to the current situation in a negative way then Wenger knows he needs to get rid of him and not waste any more time on someone who thinks he’s the finished article. If he knuckles down, as I suspect he will, then Wengers going to get a better GK at the end of it.

Wenger shows huge trust in his players, but every now and again a player will try to take advantage of that. Szscesny has been put in his place and hopefully he will come back stronger.

84. arnie says:

is Raddy up early and watching as well? 😛

85. ha ha ha GN5…. you are the only one who picked up on the word play 🙂

Guess what I’m doing this morning so early …. micky 🙂

Glad to see that Paul Easter has finally been paraded in an Arsenal shirt…. does that mean he is ready for the bench on Sunday?

My internet connection seems strong today….. but how long will it last 🙂

86. Mr Cadbury met Miss Rowntree on a Double-Decker. It was After Eight. They got off at Quality Street and he asked her name, “Polo”, she said, “I’m the one with the hole”. she said with a Wispa.
    “I’m Marathon, the one with the nuts” he replied. He touched her Cream Eggs and slipped his hand into her Snickers. He fondled her Slap Jacks and she rubbed his Tic Tacs. It was a Fab moment as she screamed in Turkish Delight. But three days later his Sherbert Dib Dab started to itch. Turns out that Miss Rowntree had been with Bertie Basset and he’s got bloody Allsorts.

Rolo on floor laughing.

87. Bloody typical Arsenal… after getting rid of Podolski, Sanogo and Campbell, I’ve just read that Alexis has a hammy and is doubtful for Sunday

Striker needed 🙂

Yes yes NB, I know 🙂

Being in the Cevennes, is it roasted chestnuts on the wood burner? Should be, she might like that, and right now you could be going back for seconds.

this woman is stalking me!!!! She is definitely not my type, do you want her email?

she wrote to me:
    What’s up, my potential friend!

You might as well become the only one for me!

That is why I took the risk to use virtual reality for tracking a sweet fellow and a true soul-mate for the very first time in my life!!!

I am a non-smoker and avoid alcoholic beverages.

I am living with a feeble hope that my letter was good news for you and you wish to continue communicating with me!

Waiting for you, your would-be woman Olga

Is that Rory Delap in drag?

Rory Delap is (was) my type 🙂

Chas
    Is there a pic of Ant with THE GRIN?
    And does he have any other setting?
    Such a happy fellow 🙂

How bad is Sanchez?

If this is serious, our season is over.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Well yes Chas, it is doom actually 🙂

He is the only one who creates and scores enough goals, but oh no, we need more defenders 🙄

That’s the one 🙂

I think I would be a happier person if I had teeth like Ant

Quite right
    Doom music
    or what I’ve always called Suicide Sounds 🙂

Swings and roundabouts Eddie. Check out his hairy shoulders 🙂

true micky, I would be even less happy if I had hairy shoulders

You went to a progressive psychiatrist.
    He recommended suicide…
    before scratching your bad name off his list,
    and pointing the way outside.

Ah ha Pavillion

In my youth, they used to illuminate it (I know they still do) like a 70’s disco

People mention murder, the moment you arrive.
    I’d consider killing you if I thought you were alive.
    You’ve got this slippery quality,
    it makes me think of phlegm,
    and a dual personality
    I hate both of them.

micky – this would cheer you up no end
    “Arsenal are ready to bid £26million for Atletico Madrid striker Mario Mandzukic”

chas – what the feck is that???? Is it about me??

Never heard of him, but the price is reassuring 🙂

No Sanchez, and we’ll average one goal per game, and will draw too many games

Dooooooooooom

For Jose Mourinho
    (beware bad language)

Yeah, but we’ve got Gabriel and Bielik now, Micky. 🙂

Many many years ago I was “persuaded” to leave a club where he was performing. Twat 🙂

Hey Chas
    It’s Friday and I like a rant.
    Here’s where Arsenal are. Precisely where Liverpool were last season in being dependent on Suarez
    Dooooooooooom

that is awful chas, even for Mourinho – ‘like a death at birthday party’. the author is a very sick guy, how did he come up with that

This is very interesting indeed, could be an answer to why the same team is one week shit and the next brilliant, it could all be down to time of the kickoff

“Our internal body clock has such a dramatic impact on sporting ability that it could alter the chances of Olympic gold, say researchers.

The team at the University of Birmingham showed performance times varied by 26% throughout the day.

Early risers reached their athletic peak around lunchtime, while night owls were best in the evening.

The researchers say it could even explain why Spanish teams have more success in European football.

The body clock controls everything – from alertness to the risk of a heart attack – in a daily rhythm.”

Micky
    Maybe you ought to make Friday your own slot.
    Rant Friday didn’t continue unfortunately.

But we’ve just got Mesut and Theo back.
    Doesn’t that partly balance your doom-mongery?

Eddie
    The British taste for gross knows no bounds. Especially Up North.

“Early risers reached their athletic peak around lunchtime”

Try telling that to NB

Must dash

ooouch chas, not nice even by my low standards. Why are you still there????

Is your post (today) cheerful?

I’m still here ‘cos I love it.

Post is normal bollix. Something to fill dead Friday.
    Not hard-hitting opinionated stuff like your cage-rattler. 🙂

Don’t be so modest chas, it’s great fun. Just sorting the pics … will publish in a mo

OK done …….

….. New post 😛 …….

126. Aaron says:

He is top class period!
    When he has a defense in front of him, he is very difficult to pass. Ospina has not proved squat. Maybe 2 shots total from 3 games. Big deal! All this talk is from amateurs, about this that and everything under the sun. Are defense has been in shambles since Bac left!!!! We have had at least 5 combo’s back there, with a couple of 19 year olds thrown in.. How would that go for any keeper against Aguero, Silva, Costa, etc….that right not so well. Those 19 years olds are supremely talented but not played together as a unit for a season. It takes time for a defense to jell, and we have not had it this season, and when Arsenal are not winning so many fair weather fans want to make a scapegoat out of anyone and throw them under the bus. It is sickening as a true fan, win lose draw will support my team- yes with a few choice words, but still support the team nonetheless. And that tool that followed Arsene on the train and baited him, would have knocked that pos out!!